PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 4e] Therianthropy as a Feat

sournote103
2011-07-31, 03:37 PM
In 4th Edition, Therianthropes (Werewolves, Wererats, Weretigers, and the like) have yet to make a playable appearance. Some have written Therianthropes as races. Others have written them as classes, due to Heroes of Shadow making Vampirism a class. I feel neither of these works well, as a Therianthrope still has a "base" race, and could still practice magic or psionics or anything of the sort. So, I am trying to write feats that a player could take to have his or her character become a Therianthrope.

Lycanthropy (Werewolves)
Lycanthropy
Prerequisite: Must not have taken Ailuranthropy
You gain a +2 bonus to Athletics and nature checks. You take a -1 penalty to Diplomacy checks. You are immune to Moon Frenzy. As a minor action, you may transform into the form of your race (humanoid form) or the form of a wolf (animal form). You cannot wield weapons in animal form. Your armor merges into your skin in animal form. While in animal form, you have a set of claws on each hand. Your claws belong to the Light Blade category and the Unarmed category. They have the off-hand property. Your claws do 1d6 damage and have a proficiency bonus of +2. You gain a +1 bonus to speed in animal form. You can communicate with Wolves and Worgs in animal form.

Advanced Lycanthropy
Prerequisite: Must have taken the Lycanthropy feat
You can also transform into a form that appears as an anthropomorphic wolf (hybrid form). While in hybrid form, you have a set of claws on each hand. Your claws belong to the Light Blade category and the Unarmed category. They have the off-hand property. Your claws do 1d6 damage and have a proficiency bonus of +2. You gain a +1 bonus to speed in hybrid form. You can communicate with wolves and worgs in hybrid from. You gain a further +1 bonus to speed in animal form.

Complete Lycanthropy
Prerequisite:Must have taken the Advanced Lycanthropy feat.
While you are bloodied, you gain regeneration 2. If you are hit by a silvered weapon, your regeneration does not function on your next turn. Your claws do 1d8 damage. Gain a +1 bonus to Strength or Wisdom.

Ailuranthropy (Weretigers)
Ailuranthropy
Prerequisite: Must not have taken Lycanthropy
You gain a +2 bonus to Acrobatics and Nature checks. You take a -1 penalty to Diplomacy checks. You are immune to Moon Rage. As a minor action, you may transform into the form of your race (humanoid form) or the form of a tiger (animal form). You cannot wield weapons in animal form. Your armor merges into your skin in animal form. While in animal form, you have a set of claws on each hand. Your claws belong to the Light Blade category and the Unarmed category. They have the off-hand property. Your claws do 1d6 damage and have a proficiency bonus of +2. You gain a +1 bonus to speed in animal form. You can communicate with Tigers in animal form.

Advanced Ailuranthropy
Prerequisite: Must have taken the Ailuranthropy feat
You can also transform into a form that appears as an anthropomorphic tiger (hybrid form). While in hybrid form, you have a set of claws on each hand. Your claws belong to the Light Blade category and the Unarmed category. They have the off-hand property. Your claws do 1d6 damage and have a proficiency bonus of +2. You gain a +1 bonus to speed in hybrid form. You can communicate with tigers in hybrid from. You gain a further +1 bonus to speed in animal form.

Complete Ailuranthropy
Prerequisite:Must have taken the Advanced Ailuranthropy feat.
While you are bloodied, you gain regeneration 2. If you are hit by a silvered weapon, your regeneration does not function on your next turn. Your claws do 1d8 damage. Gain a +1 bonus to Dexterity or Wisdom.

I'm sure these will have to be balanced some. Thoughts? Ideas? Comments?

EDIT 1: Made each into a set of 3 layering feats.

vasharanpaladin
2011-08-01, 03:47 PM
Way too much for one feat. If you don't like the idea of it as a class, as vampires are, make it a class anyway and then provide options for hybrids or multiclassing. The best vampire is MC vampire, after all.

sournote103
2011-08-01, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I can see how this would be too much for one feat. Personally, I feel like it would not work too well as a class, but I should certainly trim down some of these advantages. Perhaps I could do this as several feats. One gives a small amount of this stuff, and then you can take more feats to add more of the abilities.