PDA

View Full Version : 2d6: A Simpler System launches website

lothofkalroth
2011-08-01, 05:56 PM
For any interested parties, I've just launched the official 2d6 website here (http://2d6game.wordpress.com/)!

This has the most recent version of the pdf, the rules in an html format, and even a spiffy new character sheet!

For those who don't know, or want to know before you click the link, 2d6 is a system created by myself and a number of friends over the course of several years. Its aim is largely to streamline the RPG process (shorter character creation, less elaborate rules, simpler combat etc.)

Hopefully in the future I'll be adding a forum to the site, as well as a user account system and forms for uploading user-generated content like characters, items, plots, and even whole game-worlds.

Right now the site is pretty bare bones, but keep coming back and I promise I'll put up fresh, delicious content as often as I can!

Critiques are welcome, and anyone who provides feedback will be named in the credits of the final version if they wish.

Cheers!

Howler Dagger
2011-08-01, 06:05 PM
could you some time provide a way to have online character sheets for potential PbPs?

lothofkalroth
2011-08-01, 06:08 PM
could you some time provide a way to have online character sheets for potential PbPs?

That sounds like a great idea, especially since half the reason I wanted to set up a forum was so I could voyeuristicly watch PbP games for research purposes :smallbiggrin:

Howler Dagger
2011-08-01, 06:23 PM
I also notice you have 2 sections in the rules named "narrating", both with the same number(10). Is this intentional? Do you intend to have more? Also, the things listed under cons. are........ very questionabley placed there. the last con is very funny. You also have none of the races that you used to have on the reader version.

The Underlord
2011-08-01, 06:35 PM
on the rules it says an 11 is a critical succses but isnt the highest roll possible a 12?

lothofkalroth
2011-08-01, 07:21 PM
I also notice you have 2 sections in the rules named "narrating", both with the same number(10). Is this intentional? Do you intend to have more? Also, the things listed under cons. are........ very questionabley placed there. the last con is very funny. You also have none of the races that you used to have on the reader version.

Ah, my mistake, that was a wordpress error that I intend to fix post haste, and I decided to get rid of the races, since I want this version of the rules to be completely universal, though I may use humans as an example in a later version.

lothofkalroth
2011-08-01, 07:23 PM
on the rules it says an 11 is a critical succses but isnt the highest roll possible a 12?

Yes, you are correct, but I like the idea that success happens more often than failure, and 11 is twice as likely as 12 when rolling 2d6; 5 and 6 or 6 and 5 as compared to just 6 and 6. (plus the rolling was originally based on craps-style game, where 11 is an important number)

lothofkalroth
2011-08-02, 12:48 PM
C'mon people, PEACH me! I'm looking to improve : )

Alchemistmerlin
2011-08-02, 01:40 PM
C'mon people, PEACH me! I'm looking to improve : )

Well your posture is terrible, and your hair could use a combing...

Wait...

Oh you want me to peach the system/site. Sorry, blocked at work. :smalltongue:

Howler Dagger
2011-08-02, 02:54 PM
you still havent removed the second narrating. When do you plan on starting a forum? Also: Where does it say how many skill points you start with?

lothofkalroth
2011-08-02, 10:36 PM
you still havent removed the second narrating. When do you plan on starting a forum? Also: Where does it say how many skill points you start with?

It should be fixed now, and sadly the forum won't be up for a good long while (i have to find a couple of friends who are willing to act as part-time mods), but on a positive note, I just published the first bit of content for the main campaign setting, Fantasy.

It should give enough of a rough idea that anybody who's gamed before can run something basic with it, and more is in the works.

As far as skill points, that's up to how powerful you want to make your players. I find a good "first level" build is either 3 talents, 6 skill points or, if the setting is tough, 4 talents, 8 skill points.

Hope that helps!

Howler Dagger
2011-08-02, 10:54 PM
Hey, i would like to try making a PbP on this forum, do you think it would be a good idea? I would like to be narrator, so any tips?

erikun
2011-08-02, 11:55 PM
A few notes:

Stats range from +1 to -1 during character creation, but there currently isn't a way to increase the value of a stat. The "no stat can be permanently raised above a +3 bonus" might be for future parts of the system, but it is meaningless at the moment.

Character growth is certainly interesting, although that shouldn't be the only place you mention the Cinematic mechanic - it should be properly developed and expanded in its own section. It should also be a rather noteworthy part of the system as well, or else there isn't much reason to have it.

You want a definite list of skills and talents, along with appropriate DCs. Being given a system and told "work out the numbers for yourself" isn't very helpful - it's not really much of a system that way.

Combat seems unusual, as you can apparently apply a Knife-Fighting skill to avoiding laser barrages while navigating a starship. On the other hand, if you only allow combat methods that "make sense", then you end up with skills like Illusion-Magic which can be used against anything.

Wounds should not use the term "Toughness or Will Save" in a game without saving throws. They would be a Toughness check or a Will check, although apparently not because it uses your Brawn instead(?). Also, I hope that sleeping isn't unconsciousness, because otherwise kicking people to wake them up would make you a mass murderer.

Also, note that your average character will have only 3-4 wounds total, meaning that in a standard four-on-four fight anyone receiving focused fire will likely end up dead. This isn't very productive for dungeon-crawling.

Overall, there isn't really much of a system up yet. There's the dice roll, the stat/skill/talent system, partially(?) complete advancement, an unusually large combat section... some of which should be in the basics category... but not much else. I don't have much to critique because there isn't that much there at the moment.

Howler Dagger
2011-08-03, 11:19 AM
Overall, there isn't really much of a system up yet. There's the dice roll, the stat/skill/talent system, partially(?) complete advancement, an unusually large combat section... some of which should be in the basics category... but not much else. I don't have much to critique because there isn't that much there at the moment.

in a game designed to support multiple genres, what else can you have? Also, the combat section mentions a multiattack talent, which isnt listed in the talents section.

lothofkalroth
2011-08-03, 12:20 PM
Hey, i would like to try making a PbP on this forum, do you think it would be a good idea? I would like to be narrator, so any tips?

I'd play in it : )

As far as tips go, the most important thing to remember as the Narrator is that situational variables are everything. You have to decide when a player is abusing a skill and when they're just being creative. For instance, defending against laser fire with knife fighting, as mentioned by erikun, is something that, as the Narrator, it would be your job to say "No." to. You'll often have to decide what's within the realm of possibility and what's simply too ridiculous.

Other than that, it's pretty much like running any other game. : )

lothofkalroth
2011-08-03, 12:42 PM
Stats range from +1 to -1 during character creation, but there currently isn't a way to increase the value of a stat. The "no stat can be permanently raised above a +3 bonus" might be for future parts of the system, but it is meaningless at the moment.

There are three ways to increase a stat: during character creation each character is given 7 points to distribute how they want between all the stats. At this point no stat can be raised above a +1, and they all start at -1. In addition, a characters race gives them a +1 bonus to one stat, and a -1 penalty to another. Finally, the Talent "Stat Boost" can give a +1 bonus to any of the stats, and can be taken once for each stat. To be fair, I should definitely mention that the 7 points given during character creation are spent at a 1:1 ratio, but the rest is all there in the text.

Character growth is certainly interesting, although that shouldn't be the only place you mention the Cinematic mechanic - it should be properly developed and expanded in its own section. It should also be a rather noteworthy part of the system as well, or else there isn't much reason to have it.

I completely agree, and It will have its own section in future editions, I was in a bit of a hurry to get this out I suppose, but all the feedback I've been getting has helped tremendously.

You want a definite list of skills and talents, along with appropriate DCs. Being given a system and told "work out the numbers for yourself" isn't very helpful - it's not really much of a system that way.

The skills and talents vary from setting to setting, giving a hard and fast list wouldn't make sense for a universal system, so I've provided a number of general examples, though I'll be greatly expanding this in future editions. As far as DCs go, I can and will be more specific with the examples in later versions, but there is some fairly descriptive information on them in the Narrating section. (In fact, it's about all that's in that section at the moment :smalltongue:)

Combat seems unusual, as you can apparently apply a Knife-Fighting skill to avoiding laser barrages while navigating a starship. On the other hand, if you only allow combat methods that "make sense", then you end up with skills like Illusion-Magic which can be used against anything.

See the above reply to SheepInDisguise.

Wounds should not use the term "Toughness or Will Save" in a game without saving throws. They would be a Toughness check or a Will check, although apparently not because it uses your Brawn instead(?). Also, I hope that sleeping isn't unconsciousness, because otherwise kicking people to wake them up would make you a mass murderer.

I agree about the terminology, it was a bit of a slip of the tongue, but sleeping is unconscious. Just because you automatically hit with an attack roll doesn't mean you have to wound a person (see the combat section). Also, kicking someone awake hardly counts as an attack unless you try to hurt them. The point is, when you're sleeping, you're defenseless, like real life. You may wake up in time to defend yourself if you're just asleep for the night and haven't been knocked unconscious, but that's up to the Narrator to decide.

Also, note that your average character will have only 3-4 wounds total, meaning that in a standard four-on-four fight anyone receiving focused fire will likely end up dead. This isn't very productive for dungeon-crawling.

It's funny that you mention this, because I received this as a complaint from my players at first. I explained to them that I wanted the system to be realistic as far as combat was concerned. If you think about it, in real life a four on one fight isn't a fight at all, it's a massacre. I was always unsatisfied with the ridiculously unrealistic health mechanics of systems like DnD, and therefore based mine closer to systems like Savage Worlds.

It's true, this is the absolute bare bones of the system, and I can assure you, even as you read this, I'm working on beefing it up. Your feedback, like that of the dozens of other people I've talked to in the last few months, has helped greatly improve the system, and I'd have no qualms about listing your name alongside everyone else that helped out in this regard in the credits section of the final draft. : )

Thanks for the input!

erikun
2011-08-03, 03:23 PM
in a game designed to support multiple genres, what else can you have?
There can be a list of skills, both for general use and for use in specific genres. There can be a list of talents, both for general use and for specific genres. There can be advice, for which talents are productive to certain genres and counterproductive to others - the ability to shrug off a killing blow is very appropriate for Conan, but not so much for **** Tracy.

It's funny that you mention this, because I received this as a complaint from my players at first. I explained to them that I wanted the system to be realistic as far as combat was concerned.
It just reminds me of people who pick up World of Darkness for the first time and, thinking it should play like D&D, are wondering why their players drop dead after two or three combats in a single day.

It might be worth pointing out that combat is intended to be dangerous and lethal, and that injured characters won't be fit for repeated encounters. Doing the math for the reader ("Your average character has 3 or 4 wounds at full health.") might be helpful.

Thanks for the input!
Well it doesn't look like a bad start. I'll try to stop by sometime later to see how things are progressing.

Howler Dagger
2011-08-03, 03:41 PM
you may want to include the races for fantasy under the racse tab as well as the setting, for use if someone wants to run a fantasy setting but not your specific one. EDIT: what are the rules for generating NPCs for say fighting the PCs. Do you use the same process that you use for PCs? Also, posted the PbP recruitment thread

steelsmiter
2011-08-03, 04:49 PM
I'll be looking forward to the first run of Mass Edits before I make my first PEACH.

lothofkalroth
2011-08-03, 10:31 PM
It might be worth pointing out that combat is intended to be dangerous and lethal, and that injured characters won't be fit for repeated encounters. Doing the math for the reader ("Your average character has 3 or 4 wounds at full health.") might be helpful.

This is an excellent idea that I will be implementing immediately : ) Thanks!

lothofkalroth
2011-08-03, 10:38 PM
you may want to include the races for fantasy under the racse tab as well as the setting, for use if someone wants to run a fantasy setting but not your specific one. EDIT: what are the rules for generating NPCs for say fighting the PCs. Do you use the same process that you use for PCs?

I am going to post them, though I'm not sure what to do about having multiple variations on the same race (most settings use orcs, humans, elves and dwarves). Perhaps there'll be a sub-page for each of the most popular races with a blurb about what kind of setting they fit into.

And yes, I use the same system for creating NPCs (i make normal commoners as 2 Talent, 4 skill characters). I feel this eliminates the DnD mentality of "if i don't feel like dealing with a commoner i can just kill them and take their stuff."

And yay! The very first Play-by-post of mah sistuhm!

lothofkalroth
2011-08-03, 10:39 PM
I'll be looking forward to the first run of Mass Edits before I make my first PEACH.

Just so you know, the new edition probably won't be coming out for a week or so. I'm still working on a balanced armor mechanic and I need to polish up the language and layout before I PDF this bad boy up.

I just can't wait until i start getting some illustrations to lend the PDF a bit of gravitas. : )

Howler Dagger
2011-08-04, 11:27 AM
also, which forms of magic can be used to make an attack roll?

lothofkalroth
2011-08-04, 01:13 PM
also, which forms of magic can be used to make an attack roll?

Depends on the setting. For Fantasy You can attack with Elementalism and Shifting, and you can defend with Hedge Magic, Psionics and Shifting.

Also, I just posted the content for the first three of the five capital cities and a world map under the Fantasy menu.

Cheers!