PDA

View Full Version : Fashion versus profession: questions from a new TA

WarKitty
2011-08-03, 03:05 PM
I am going to grad school in a month with a TA position. Which, in practice, means I am likely to be on some level interacting with undergraduate students taking courses in philosophy. Now, my school never had TA's, so I'm not sure how this works out.

My question? Well, my fashion choices tend toward gothic. Now a TA position is not a full-out job, but I'm still not entirely sure what I can get away with. So, my question for those of you in college or who have been in college, is how would you react to a fairly obviously gothic TA? Are there certain items you'd leave off? I'm already planning on leaving the skulls at home, and I tend more toward the romantigoth side of things (for those unfamiliar, that means more black skirts and lace and less torn fishnets and band shirts).

Gardener
2011-08-03, 03:35 PM
I've had tutors that wear everything from band shirts and patched jeans to suits. Especially in an area like philosophy, I really don't think what you wear has that much impact on your ability to teach, and people will usually recognise that.

Of course, that depends entirely on your institution. My advice would be to find out if there's a policy or dress code and stick to it, and otherwise wear what you want, so long as it isn't directly offensive. It really depends on the institution, though. I'd recommend being prepared to moderate the amounts of lace and embroidery during work hours if you're asked to - it's a paying job, after all.

Icewalker
2011-08-03, 04:39 PM
I'd suggest avoiding getting too extreme. The fashion and style in general is probably all well and good, but if it reaches the point where people might mistake it for a costume, dressing up for something particular, then it might be a bit much? But I expect you'll be alright with black skirts and lace and such.

Also keep in mind, people on this forum I think are notably more likely to be fine with such dress than your average folks. :smalltongue:

Tragic_Comedian
2011-08-03, 04:49 PM
Appearances don't matter. It's what's underneath that counts.

WarKitty
2011-08-03, 04:50 PM
Appearances don't matter. It's what's underneath that counts.

Showing off what's underneath will still get you fired, however. And arrested.

DeadManSleeping
2011-08-03, 04:51 PM
In the philosophy department? It doesn't really matter.

Just make sure it doesn't include anything sharp. Freshmen philosophy students are known to provoke hostility with their insufferable misunderstandings.

snoopy13a
2011-08-03, 05:20 PM
I don't think it would matter much in a philosophy department but I'd dress nondescript for the first few days just to get a feel for things.

ForzaFiori
2011-08-03, 05:29 PM
I've never had a goth TA, but if I did, probably the only thing that would be different from other TAs is that I might hit on them. :smalltongue:

What can I say, goth chicks=hot.

As far as the Uni goes, as long as you follow their dress code, it shouldn't be a problem. The only thing you'd need to find out is if TAs need to follow the students dress code or professors dress code, cause they're probably pretty different.

WarKitty
2011-08-03, 05:57 PM
I've never had a goth TA, but if I did, probably the only thing that would be different from other TAs is that I might hit on them. :smalltongue:

What can I say, goth chicks=hot.

As far as the Uni goes, as long as you follow their dress code, it shouldn't be a problem. The only thing you'd need to find out is if TAs need to follow the students dress code or professors dress code, cause they're probably pretty different.

Actually that's my other concern. I am the only female in the department. It's usually not too bad, but, well, being "the chick" has its problems. I'm not sure how much I want to emphasize the "I'm female" part, but most of the styles I enjoy are more feminine.

DeadManSleeping
2011-08-03, 06:02 PM
You can't really fix that short of dressing like a construction worker. A dirty construction worker. With a rat tail hairdo. This is what happened when feminists started saying 'girls should be able to wear clothes that are considered "boy" clothes'. It's a statement I agree with, but the flipside of the coin is that you can't really dissuade guys by dressing less "femininely". You just change which crowd likes your style.

bluewind95
2011-08-03, 08:43 PM
I agree with those who said you ought to check the dress code.

Personally, when it comes to work clothing, I tend to pick a neutral kind of style. It's nowhere NEAR the kind of style that I like, but it works to keep employers happy and it fits into most dress codes.

Out of work, though, I go with my style.

Icewalker
2011-08-03, 09:02 PM
Also, a note: for a subject like philosophy, you will need to engage a lot with your students. If this was a math class, it doesn't matter in the slightest what your students think of you, they're just sitting and listening and watching your example problems. In philosophy, you need to talk to them and hold discussions. All I'm really saying is that you are asking the right question, and that for this kind of class there are limits on how unusual your dress ought to be.

blackfox
2011-08-03, 09:08 PM
Caveat: I am an engineering student, and have taken approximately 0 college-level humanities classes. However, I've seen all sorts of styles among my TAs, just because they're all students too. To my knowledge, there's not generally a dress code at universities besides like, the legal dress code...? I'm not sure why there'd be any repercussions for looking goth. There's no repercussions here for wearing schleppy old jeans and a t-shirt (http://almostdumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/any-gamers-dream.jpg).

Lady Moreta
2011-08-03, 09:10 PM
All I'm really saying is that you are asking the right question, and that for this kind of class there are limits on how unusual your dress ought to be.

And, for that matter, you'll know pretty quick if your students are thinking 'wow, that's so cool, she dresses awesome, I'm gonna love this!' or 'what is she wearing?! I can't take this woman seriously'. If you get the latter vibe, you'll need to adjust your dress, because as Icewalker says, for a philosophy class, if you can't connect with your students, you will struggle to get anywhere with them.

I agree with the majority, the best plan here is to check for any relevant dress code and/or ask someone.

DeadManSleeping
2011-08-03, 10:47 PM
t-shirt (http://almostdumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/any-gamers-dream.jpg).

And now my life feels emptyer

Trekkin
2011-08-03, 11:31 PM
When I TAed as an undergrad last semester, I wore exactly what I wanted: khakis and a variety of variously discolored polo shirts (I have odd choices in lab wear). My counterparts in other sections ran the gamut from goth to punk to Hawaiian shirts to whatever and nobody ever said anything as far as I know. I would honestly say to wear it, perhaps in muted fashion if it's really similar to a costume, and see if anyone complains.

EDIT: Obviously, check the dress code first, but if it's all vague like my school's, I'd go for it.

rakkoon
2011-08-04, 03:48 AM
My TA was always in a metal T-shirt and on his socks.
This did not bother me at all but that's because I liked that kind of scene.
Some lace is ok I guess, skulls are indeed for private moments, not workplace accessories

The Succubus
2011-08-04, 04:06 AM
There's no repercussions here for wearing schleppy old jeans and a t-shirt (http://almostdumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/any-gamers-dream.jpg).

Apparently, if you enter the secret cheat code of UP, UP, RIGHT, LEFT, X, Y, Y, A, you get thrown out of the classroom for inappropriately touching your TA during class. :smalltongue:

DeadManSleeping
2011-08-04, 08:31 AM
Apparently, if you enter the secret cheat code of UP, UP, RIGHT, LEFT, X, Y, Y, A, you get thrown out of the classroom for inappropriately touching your TA during class. :smalltongue:

Especially because there are no letter buttons on the shirt. They'd have to be somewhere else.

Sipex
2011-08-04, 09:50 AM
Any advice I had is already here so I'll just say this.

Good luck, and don't let those students walk over you, no matter what they say or do. I've heard horror stories.

WarKitty
2011-08-04, 03:37 PM
Heh. I'm torn between the idea that it's a job and I should be professional, and the idea that as a college student I'd probably have been more impressed by someone who dressed a little differently.

NikitaDarkstar
2011-08-04, 03:50 PM
I'd say leave the skulls at home and tone down the lace (if you use a lot of it) and you'll probably be fine. Standing out isn't really a bad thing, at the very least you'll be remembered. (Well check the dress code first as the others said, but as long as it's not indecent I doubt anyone will mind.)

THAC0
2011-08-04, 03:51 PM
Heh. I'm torn between the idea that it's a job and I should be professional, and the idea that as a college student I'd probably have been more impressed by someone who dressed a little differently.

Remember, you aren't there to impress the students. Not exactly. You're there to help, and that means being approachable to the majority, whatever that means.

You're also displaying yourself for the faculty, which is the most important part. Who you know and what they think of you is what will get you a job after school, so I'd take that into consideration.

Kneenibble
2011-08-04, 03:54 PM
Are goth and professional mutually exclusive?

Just stand out in a good way: not a shabby goth Internet Neitzsche metal lyrics way. Know your business and look good doing it.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-08-04, 09:19 PM
I'd say leave the skulls at home and tone down the lace (if you use a lot of it) and you'll probably be fine. Standing out isn't really a bad thing, at the very least you'll be remembered. (Well check the dress code first as the others said, but as long as it's not indecent I doubt anyone will mind.)
This. For example, raven-black hair, black eyeliner and a black skirt will make you stand out and be remembered without any overtones ("oh, your TA is that goth chick? Yeah, I know her.")

The same plus lace stockings, a push-up bra and a transparent lacy or fishnet top will be remembered negatively. If you've got a great body, females will probably think you're skanky irregardless of the actual truth. If you don't, males will cringe. See where I'm going with this?

But honestly, unless you go to Ivy or something similar and old-fashioned, you're mostly fine. Just leave questionable symbols at home, don't overdo the make up (a little eyeliner is fine, a pale face is too much) and wear something other than raven black once in a while.

Kuma Da
2011-08-04, 09:24 PM
Generally speaking: professional attire means compromising your own standards to those of the community at your job.

Specifically speaking: TA-ing for philosophy grad-courses is probably as laisez faire as you can get with dress codes, so reasonably elegant goth stuff is probably okay, but I'd recommend checking with the professor you're going to be TA-ing for, and even then exercising some restraint for the first week or so.

edit: don't worry about impressing the students. You sound like cool people, so chances are you'll end up doing that anyway. Worry about impressing the professor, since that's where the TA credit/money comes from.