PDA

View Full Version : Searching for artist partner for creative project

PhantomFox
2011-08-03, 03:27 PM
I am somewhat of a creative bent of mind, and I've been wanting for some time to tell a story for some time. However, the appeal of the visual medium is something I can't resist. Unfortunately, my artistic skills are amateurish at best. Good enough to do doodles, but nothing that could stand up as a professional product. Efforts to find an artist to partner with have so far been frustrating, as the my previous partner has disappeared without a trace. I'm not looking for an art monkey, but someone to PARTNER with. I'd like to help out on the artistic end as much as I can with concept art or panel layout, or whatever. And the artist can help me out on my end as well, perhaps letting me bounce ideas off of them and telling me if I'm off my rocker or not.

As you probably have guessed, this will be a webcomic. However, it will be a GOOD one, and not some poorly thought out and subsequently abandoned trash like those that litters DrunkDuck and the rest of the internet. I am serious about this, and you can find what work my previous partner and I did here (http://www.deepforestcomic.com) before she went AWOL.

It is set in a medieval/fantasy setting and is titled Deep Forest. The main crux of the story is a small group of half-animal 'monsters' that live secluded in the titular forest. They're not quite sure where they came from, but have had some unpleasant encounters with the village in the past. A somewhat impulsive act of kindness leads to the rediscovery of the community by the nearby village. These two world come into conflict, which drives the main story.

Deep Forest will be primarily story based, but with a good dose of humor added in. The drama will not be so thick that it would feel like a soap opera, but it will be the main draw for the comic. The characters I hope will be strong, but I have done a considerable amount of work on them. The primary POV character from the forest dwellers (or 'Sylvans' as they decided to name themselves) will be Andrew, a somewhat idealistic and impulsive, but friendly Sylvan who kick-starts the plot. Other main characters from that side include his hot tempered friend Jessica, and carefree goofball Sven. Antagonists include a ruthless xenophobic trapper William, and a masterfully manipulative exiled Sylvan named Jade. William considers the Sylvans animals and monsters and has a few oddly sized pelts in his back room, and Jade is extremely bitter about being exiled and is constantly thinking up plots to force her way back into the comfort of the Sylvan community.

A more detailed synopsis can be given if you want, but that should do for now. The the last false-start, I had drawn up twenty or so scripts, if one would like to see them. As for the art I'm looking for, I'm somewhat flexible. I'd prefer it to be realistic enough so that the plot gets taken seriously, but not so much that the humor is out of place. The style doesn't have to match what is shown in the link above, but it definitely worked.

If anyone's interested, drop me a line and we'll see what we can work out!

leakingpen
2011-08-03, 04:16 PM
Hmm, sounds interesting, Good luck, and make sure to link us when you get an artist.

PhantomFox
2011-08-11, 11:30 PM
A few nibbles so far, but no results. Been sending out feelers on some other forums I visit, but nothing yet. How DOES one recruit an artist to partner for a project? Without having to officially hire them that is. (I'd like to work as equal partners, not worker/boss)

leakingpen
2011-08-12, 10:06 AM
Thats a damn good question. Actually, one of the things I keep intending to do with my website, DreamFantastic, was to create a comics section and draw in some authors and artists, because I find that the really good writers generally can't draw worth **** (raises hand. Hi, My name is Alex. I draw in chicken scratches).

And I find that MOST (not all, hush you) MOST really really good artists generally can't write plots, characters, and dialogue to save their lives.

I'd love having a place where a buncha writers and artists can congregate, post samples of their stuff, and join forces. I think we could create some really awesome webcomics and such that way.

Domochevsky
2011-08-12, 05:32 PM
Well, the important bit is to catch a artist when he/she's not doing anything else, which is a rare time indeed. Only then are they open to ideas and writers with styles that might appeal to them.

I could go Steve Irwine on this, but i refrain from it for now. :smallwink:

Kaytara
2011-08-13, 05:38 AM
Might want to try the projects forum (http://forum.deviantart.com/community/projects/) on Deviantart.

Trazoi
2011-08-13, 05:46 AM
A few nibbles so far, but no results. Been sending out feelers on some other forums I visit, but nothing yet. How DOES one recruit an artist to partner for a project? Without having to officially hire them that is. (I'd like to work as equal partners, not worker/boss)
I'd recommend starting the webcomic yourself, or maybe a different one, so you've got something to show. Even if you have to use crappy art (or use collage, or do a photo comic with toys, etc.), you're a huge step ahead from all the other writers by showing you've got the tenacity to stick with your project. Any propsective artists will be able to read your comic and gauge whether they're interested.

PhantomFox
2011-08-13, 09:28 AM
I'd recommend starting the webcomic yourself, or maybe a different one, so you've got something to show. Even if you have to use crappy art (or use collage, or do a photo comic with toys, etc.), you're a huge step ahead from all the other writers by showing you've got the tenacity to stick with your project. Any propsective artists will be able to read your comic and gauge whether they're interested.

I've done that, to a degree. I guess I should have made the link in the OP a bit more obvious. My previous artist and I got close to a dozen pages finished, and I've got the website up and everything. We were just starting to work on a 1-month buffer when she had to move and then disappeared.

http://www.deepforestcomic.com

Herpestidae
2011-08-13, 10:27 AM
I got three offers on my recent Artist hunt, but I'll only be using one. I'll send the other two in this direction once I pick an artist.

Piearty
2011-08-13, 01:55 PM
Umm I registered just to respond to this...>.> I'm an amateur artist who's interested. I'm not busy with any projects or anything. Umm, but if you're looking for professional level, I'm definitely not there. I'm not even close to competing with the art demonstrated in that link. :smalleek: In fact, I'm looking for a writer because I have no ideas of my own and comicking seems like the best way to improve my drawing ability. Uh... here's (http://tinyurl.com/3f2nkkq)my flickr account with a lot of drawings in it....yeah. And Herpstidae sent me.

Edit: I just realized how many of those pictures are cartoony doodles (and fanart...cough) but the picture of the guy with wings and the awkwardly-posed mermaid is my semi-realistic style.

leakingpen
2011-08-14, 01:46 AM
PieArty, first off, anyone who fanarts marigold and danny phantom is alright in my book. (and you know... you could slash them too... going ghost would probably kill any germs, so hes the cleanest lover she's going to find... uhhh, bad tangenty brain!)

I was going to say, if you look at any of the big webcomics these days (pvp, penny arcade, ctrl alt del, questionable content), Their art used to be cartoony doodles. Art is like anything, you get better by doing.

Actually, I like your cartoony doodles. If the poster of this thread isn't interested, shoot me a pm with what genres you would prefer drawing in, i might have a few scripts you'd like!

Domochevsky
2011-08-14, 10:51 AM
...and then stuffl ike this happens. Talk about weird world. :smallbiggrin:

Piearty
2011-08-14, 04:51 PM
Huhhh Marigold fan art? ...Are you thinking of Hannelore perhaps...? This...this is one of my own characters...she's twelve.

But uhh, anyway, thanks for expressing interest in my doodly things. :smallsmile:

Trazoi
2011-08-14, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't diss your cartoony doodlings either. I'd read a comic about that Snitch character.

Piearty
2011-08-14, 09:39 PM
Aaaand that was actually me. Playing quidditch. Sssooo...yeahhh...misinterpretation for the win... *awkward*

PhantomFox
2011-08-14, 10:11 PM
Hmm, interesting. I'd like to see your interpretation of some of the main characters. Sent a PM, so I'll look forward to see your take on things.

leakingpen
2011-08-15, 10:29 AM
yes... that was me, late at night, half asleep, seeing the name marigold with a character that looked similar to hanelore from the same comic, some mixing the two in my mind. Ugh. NEED COFFEEEE!

Glasswhistle
2011-08-15, 01:41 PM
I'm tempted to say that I'm also interested, I don't know how much free time I'll have, though. I'll probably fail at getting a job once school starts, so I should have free time, though. I'm not all that good, but you can click on my signature to see my DA page if you want.

leakingpen
2011-08-15, 02:14 PM
Glass, most of your stuff seems more covers and posters than comics. Have you done any more comicy doodly stuff?

PhantomFox
2011-08-15, 03:45 PM
If you're interested Glass, this would be a fairly lengthy commitment. I do NOT want to have a partner bail on me partway through and have to do this search AGAIN.

If you really want to do this though, I can send you some info and get your interpretation of some of the main characters.

Glasswhistle
2011-08-16, 12:19 AM
Here are some pictures that are a bit closer to the style you're probably looking for, they're a little old, though

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c158/xeveryonesgrudge/Io.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c158/xeveryonesgrudge/Lions.jpg

I'd say PM me the info if you're at all interested in having me as an artist

PhantomFox
2011-08-16, 10:10 AM
Huh. First time I've had multiple people interested. Well, you can have your fair shot at this too. PM sent.

leakingpen
2011-08-16, 10:24 AM
Glass, i love those! Quick question, is the lion breathing clouds SUPPOSED to be a person with a lion head? The shoulders and arms are more of a persons than a lions.

Piearty
2011-08-18, 12:48 AM
Man your coloring is like 40 times better than mine. T.T