PDA

View Full Version : Chrono Trigger inspired item pricing

big teej
2011-08-05, 03:55 AM
so I recently completed the RPG classic Chrono Trigger.

it is almost certainly the single most rewarding gaming experiences I've had in my almost 20 years of being a console gamer.

within the game is an "accessory" item. The Hero Medal.

this medal, when equipped to the proper character, raises the chances of a critical hit with their best weapon.

I now plan to insert a similar item into my world.

my intial thoughts were of two diverging schools.

option A) Hero Medal - increases critical threat range of held weapon by 1. - 2,000 gp

expanded: this increase would stack with things such as improved critical and the "keen" enchantment, but it would not allow those to stack... it would simply increase any given weapon's threat range by 1. period. the price is based of the idea that it is essentially replicating Keen, a +1 enchantment.

option B) hero medal minor/major/or unique minor artifact - as above, but with no price tag.

what are your thoughts as to effect and pricing?

additional: the item is like a broach, or clasp one would wear to fasten a cape or cloak, but it could also be attached to ones armor or worn on a chain.

given that this is a magic item slot, what slot would you have this fill?

ShiningStarling
2011-08-05, 07:40 AM
I've seen some weapon enhancers that end up as a sword grip or a gauntlet of some sort. It should be that slot, or the belt slot. Since they did put the big strength boosters there, its viable for combat-ability-enhancers.

If its one of those, and a buyable item, it should cost at least 4000, because it stacks with keen-y-ness, which nothing else does. If you give it a different slot, then 8000 for unusual slotage. However, I think a minor artifact or relic of Kord (or some other war god) would be better, as it has the unique ability to stack with Keen Edge or a keen weapon.

Sounds like a good idea! :smallsmile:

Seerow
2011-08-05, 10:59 AM
If it stacks with Keen, it is one of the very few things that does, and the only one that doesn't come at the cost of class levels whatever prerequisites are needed to enter said class. That alone makes this item worth MUCH more than the 2000 you put forward. I'd be inclined towards a number closer to 75,000-100,000. This is assuming it's a slotted item, otherwise double it.

If instead you make it an item that grants improved critical, or keen without being tied to the weapon, then I'd peg it at a minimum 12,000, potentially as high as 40k-50k. Figure getting Keen on a weapon costs at LEAST 6,000 GP (going from a +1 weapon to a +1 keen weapon), and can cost as much as 38,000 (going from a +9 equivalent weapon to the same weapon with Keen), giving that away for 2,000 seems criminally underpriced. If it's something like a Bracer, or Amulet, then the 12,000 mark seems fair as it's at least slotted. If it's something like a sheathe or other slotless item, then I'd aim it closer to 50k.