PDA

View Full Version : Living Metal Warforged - Help me balance

3Power
2011-08-07, 02:28 PM
So one of my players is playing a warforged juggernaut and has asked me if he get an operation to have his internal metal parts replaced by living metal, from magic of Faerun. The idea is that the living metal would grant him natural healing, but of course, there are factors such as accounting for the fact that he's not 100% metal, not to mention the cost for obtaining the materials and implanting him. How would you balance this, or would you just go No as a DM?

BIGMamaSloth
2011-08-07, 02:52 PM
well if this living metal stuff gives natural fast healing to him, but he is only partially metal, just give him fast healing up to 50% of his health. make it expensive, because unless there are actual rules for this its probably some kind of experimental surgery but not to expensive as fast healing 1 or 2 to 50% is relatively easy ability to get. I don't really know what the material does and I'm just trying to gleam information from your post however so this information could be complete nonsense if the material does something else. :smallwink:

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-08-07, 08:24 PM
The quick and dirty answer is "don't." Even a Juggernaut is not 100% metal. Warforged are commonly stated to be a grab-bag of stone, wood, and metal plating the outer edges.

I say this simply because there are no rules for this by RAW and it could lead to him always being at full HP (Fast Healing does that rather easily) and thus unbalancing for the rest of the group (maybe).

That being said, I would say he could buy a small bit of it (depending on level, probably 100-1000 GP to do) to be able to just heal like a normal living creature.

Psyren
2011-08-07, 08:34 PM
I support either the "fast healing capped at 50%" approach, like that one Dragon Shaman aura, or the "gets full effect from healing spells" approach. I would also either have him burn a lot of dough on this, or a feat.

Greenish
2011-08-07, 08:42 PM
I can't find the Living Metal from MoF, which page is it at?

3Power
2011-08-07, 08:50 PM
I can't find the Living Metal from MoF, which page is it at?179

Living metal repairs damage at 1 hp/min. I like the idea of capping it at 50%

He's level 10 btw.

EDIT: and just to clarify, only his internal parts are being made into living metal, so the stuff about armor made from it has no bearing on this.

Psyren
2011-08-07, 09:03 PM
It costs 100gp/lb for "all other uses." I imagine that a Juggernaut is pretty heavy, though keep in mind that not all of his weight is from his metal parts. (A big chunk of it is though.)

Greenish
2011-08-07, 09:13 PM
Officially, Adamantine (or adamantine-bodied warforged) is no heavier than normal steel (270 lb. x4 lb.).

However, I seem to recall the unofficial suggestion by Keith Baker giving the weight of an adamantine-bodied warforged much higher (due to having thicker, more complete plating). Forget how much that was.

Psyren
2011-08-07, 09:16 PM
Officially, Adamantine (or adamantine-bodied warforged) is no heavier than normal steel (270 lb. x4 lb.).

However, I seem to recall the unofficial suggestion by Keith Baker giving the weight of an adamantine-bodied warforged much higher (due to having thicker, more complete plating). Forget how much that was.

That would be this article: (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20050627a)

Composite Plating: A warforged with the default composite plating has a base height of 5'10", with a +2d6 height modifier, base weight of 270 pounds, and weight modifier of x4.

Adamantine Body: Its base weight is 320 pounds, with a weight modifier of x6. While adamantine itself is no heavier than steel, a warforged with this feat is typically more massive than other models, with more steel and stone in its construction.

Even if you go with the an AB Warforged weighing the same as a CP one though (or at least, their metal components weighing the same) that's still around 200,000gp+.

Greenish
2011-08-07, 09:22 PM
That would be this article: (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20050627a)

Even if you go with the an AB Warforged weighing the same as a CP one though (or at least, their metal components weighing the same) that's still around 200,000gp+.I say take half of the warforged's weight, figure out how much that much living metal costs, and have it heal the warforged up to half. Rest of the stuff couldn't be replaced by living metal, and thus doesn't heal itself.

I'd be merciful and use the normal weight.

Admiral Squish
2011-08-07, 09:35 PM
I'd make it two feats. One feat is a minor infusion of living metal, making them able to heal normally. Then a second giving them fast healing to half. Maybe even a third allowing them to heal to full.

Psyren
2011-08-07, 09:40 PM
I say take half of the warforged's weight, figure out how much that much living metal costs, and have it heal the warforged up to half. Rest of the stuff couldn't be replaced by living metal, and thus doesn't heal itself.

I'd be merciful and use the normal weight.

Half his weight would be 135k gp.

I'd make it two feats. One feat is a minor infusion of living metal, making them able to heal normally. Then a second giving them fast healing to half. Maybe even a third allowing them to heal to full.

I support spending a feat for the fast healing portion, because Living Metal actually heals 1hp/minute rather than round. But I would allow the first use without a feat since it's pretty pricey.

(Or rather, it would require a crafting feat - but someone else could "install it" for him, including an NPC.)

Greenish
2011-08-07, 09:43 PM
Half his weight would be 135k gp.Good. That'll save the poor guy from wasting his money. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2011-08-07, 09:43 PM
How I would balance it depends on how I want healing to go & what access the other characters have to healing.

If one of the other characters is a Dread Necromancer & undead or has a Tomb-Tainted Soul, for instance, that would be very different from if the party depended upon communal wands of CLW and that would be very different from if the party depended upon a single cleric prepping nothing but cure spells.

So, what role do you want healing to be in & what are the others going to be doing about it?

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-08, 10:51 AM
For fast healing up to 50% -
Compare it to a slotless item that grants a feat. There are several feats that grant unlimited healing up to 50%.

For Fast healing with no limit -
Compare to a slotless item that grants continuous use of a 1st level spell. - there is a spell that grants fast healing 1 for a number of rounds.

Madcrafter
2011-08-08, 01:22 PM
He could always get an artificer to make him a swarm of clockwork menders (MM IV) to sit on him and repair him all day, or sacrifice themselves for a quick boost of health.

Or he could get himself regeneration and laugh in the face of hp damage. (Having done this before, it is quite effective)

Big Fau
2011-08-08, 01:43 PM
I say this simply because there are no rules for this by RAW and it could lead to him always being at full HP (Fast Healing does that rather easily) and thus unbalancing for the rest of the group (maybe).

First, it is effectively a Ring of Regeneration (which is fairly overpriced and very weak).

Secondly, a Tank being at Full HP every encounter is not a bad thing for a party, since it makes him more useful and less reliant on others for his healing.

hamishspence
2011-08-08, 01:45 PM
Did anyone think "T1000 Warforged" when they read the title line, before they went into the thread?

Emperor Ing
2011-08-08, 01:48 PM
Did anyone think "T1000 Warforged" when they read the title line, before they went into the thread?

I actually thought
http://images.wikia.com/warhammer40k/images/8/85/NecronArt.jpg

beyond reality
2011-08-08, 01:49 PM
I'd say it certainly seems much easier, cheaper and better for him to purchase a ring of regeneration as a warforged component.

Urpriest
2011-08-08, 01:52 PM
Seems about the same concept as Healing Blood, the Sithilar Graft. Price it the same, and require the appropriate grafting feat (probably Warforged, since, well, Warforged) to apply it.

FMArthur
2011-08-08, 01:53 PM
After you have more than about 15 hit points, 1/minute HP regen makes healing breaks in between combats too much wasted time. Healing to full would basically be downtime, the sort of extended breaks where the party is expected to recover full hit points. If the Warforged is done significant harm in one fight in a series of fights, he isn't much better off with a tiny amount of extra hit points.

I would allow it up to full hit points no problem, but with a level restriction of 5 or so, just to keep it out of the hands of low-level Warforged for which it would be a game-changer.