PDA

View Full Version : Judge my (2) OOTS Avatars

Cornelius Grim
2011-08-07, 05:34 PM
I recently made two Order of the Stick avatars, and I want to know if people think they are good. There are my first two avatars. One of them is a Necropolitan Mystic Theurge, and one is his best friend, Clark the Wight.

Try not to be overly harsh, but point out a flaw if you see one. If you would like to, please point out something you like about it.

So, here they are, in a spoiler.
1. The Wight http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb449/Noahlee2011/HonestWight.png
2. The Necropolitan http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb449/Noahlee2011/DaemonGrim-1.png

So, I hope to get some good feedback from you guys. Thank you! :smallsmile:

super dark33
2011-08-07, 05:37 PM
theire nice.

but there are still things that need improvement.

Cornelius Grim
2011-08-07, 05:38 PM
theire nice.

but there are still things that need improvement.

Any specifics that you'd like to point out?

super dark33
2011-08-07, 05:42 PM
the first one's head is behind the body, and thats disturbing.

the second ones head is too low, and his robe doesnt look good, try to give it edges instead of smoothing it.

Cornelius Grim
2011-08-07, 05:48 PM
the first one's head is behind the body, and thats disturbing.

the second ones head is too low, and his robe doesnt look good, try to give it edges instead of smoothing it.

I'll fix the Wight's head. And I am in agreement; it is disturbing, and I like the way you described it.

I will also attempt to fix the robes to the best of my ability. I am still a bit shaky on drawing robes. Especially since that was my first avatar.

Edit: Okay, this is unusual. I made these avatars in Inkscape, and saved them as PNGs. After exporting them, I uploaded them to photobucket. It automatically put his head behind his body. Any advice on what to do with that, or why it's causing it.

KillItWithFire
2011-08-07, 05:58 PM
Hair is a bit blocky but that is too be expected. Difficult thing to work with. Try making the lines a little thicker. The hands look a little awkward. They stick straight out at odd angles. (My own personal preference, but I prefer to cap hands with the curved cap rather than the flat one) Also try using more than just the stock colors. As in use more than 1 gray, more than 1 white or green. Good things to start with. As you get better try being more adventerous. Try new poses, new details, new styles of drawing. Just try things that you've never tried in your art before.

Cornelius Grim
2011-08-07, 06:20 PM
Hair is a bit blocky but that is too be expected. Difficult thing to work with. Try making the lines a little thicker. The hands look a little awkward. They stick straight out at odd angles. (My own personal preference, but I prefer to cap hands with the curved cap rather than the flat one) Also try using more than just the stock colors. As in use more than 1 gray, more than 1 white or green. Good things to start with. As you get better try being more adventerous. Try new poses, new details, new styles of drawing. Just try things that you've never tried in your art before.

Okay, this is good advice. I will attempt to make it a bit less drab. Thanks! :smallsmile:

Mr_Saturn
2011-08-07, 10:23 PM
I would say that your avatars look rather decent for beginning tries.

Thoughts I have on your avatars:
- The first one's arms are rather unnaturally hanging off his body. It's as if his elbows are being lifted up to his sides with invisible string. That's something that you can easily edit with inkscape.
- The eyes and face of the first one looks fine. Although sort of boring since you have a 1/1 view. It could be improved with a 3/4 angled view. That's what most of my avatars generally look like. Much more like your second avatar.
- The hat is rather small and doesn't fit the wight's head. I'm not sure if that was intentional. If you wanted it to be small, the effect might have worked out better if it was comically small and sort of like the crown that Xykon has.
- The boots and cape are spot on for OotS style.
- Eventually you'll move out of the simple rectangle body for the avatars. Look at other avatarists in the playground for inspiration. Although there really isn't anything wrong. Not every avatar needs to have pants. Haha.
- Continue to work on hair... as well as everything else.

That's my two cents.