PDA

View Full Version : Hugging across the world?

shadow_archmagi
2011-08-07, 09:02 PM
I am an American. Specifically, from Michigan. In my experience, hugs are a fairly common way of displaying affection; a common way of saying hello or goodbye to a friend, albeit usually only your closer friends.

However, I recently was talking to my cousin from France, and she mentioned that hugging was very uncommon in Europe; most people do the 'kiss' (which she then said was actually mostly just touching cheeks rather than an actual kiss) and that touching chests together was very strange and inappropriate.

So I decided to be like "INTERNATIONAL FRIENDSLIST GO GO GO" and see which countries hugged and how much.

Tyndmyr
2011-08-07, 09:05 PM
In my experience, jugs are a fairly common way of displaying affection;

:smallbiggrin:

shadow_archmagi
2011-08-07, 09:05 PM
:smallbiggrin:

Noooooooooooo curse you adjacent letters

Klose_the_Sith
2011-08-07, 09:09 PM
We hug lots in Australia - though I was recently planning with my friend to start doing zee kiss of friendship, just to weird some people out.

Haruki-kun
2011-08-07, 10:59 PM
Mexico here:

Women hug each other, and men and women hug each other, but men hugging other men is more rare. It happens among close friends and family, but is generally seen as awkward.

Blue Ghost
2011-08-07, 11:02 PM
Mexico here:

Women hug each other, and men and women hug each other, but men hugging other men is more rare. It happens among close friends and family, but is generally seen as awkward.

It's about the same here. Men don't get as many hugs as the womenfolk, which makes me sad.
(California, by the way.)

Skeppio
2011-08-07, 11:02 PM
We hug lots in Australia - though I was recently planning with my friend to start doing zee kiss of friendship, just to weird some people out.

Eh, what? Sounds like I'm definitely in the wrong part of this country! :smalltongue:

MoonCat
2011-08-07, 11:03 PM
In the Netherlands when I go over there it's the cheek kisses (sometimes the air beside each cheek) first, then a bunch of hugs.

AsteriskAmp
2011-08-07, 11:15 PM
-South America

Women either kiss each other in the cheek when among friends and family, handshakes are reserved for EXTREMELY formal situations.
Women can either kiss men in the cheek, give a hug (unusual) or a handshake (wide age or rank difference or if rather reserved.)
Men always do the handshake or some sort of hand to hand salute among themselves.

-Italy - One month there and mainly around familiars.

The kiss (normally just placing opposite cheeks together) between women and woman and man, and family, and handshake or hug between men.

As for me, my family is rather non-conventional on salutes.
I along with my youngest sister refuse any sort of hugging, she very occasionally gives handshakes with unknown people but much rather just say hi without touching. I either say hi with a head nod, do a slight bow, or extremely rarely actually kiss very close familiars and even then it is not by my own volition but because my mother forces me to. The only persons I ever hug or allow to hug me are my sisters and my father, and even then, I don't particularly enjoy hugs.

My father prefers to say hi or give a handshake as well.

Tebryn
2011-08-07, 11:39 PM
-South America

Women either kiss each other in the cheek when among friends and family, handshakes are reserved for EXTREMELY formal situations.
Women can either kiss men in the cheek, give a hug (unusual) or a handshake (wide age or rank difference or if rather reserved.)
Men always do the handshake or some sort of hand to hand salute among themselves.

Those are some deep kisses when you're doing inside the cheek Araveugnitsuga

Klose_the_Sith
2011-08-07, 11:45 PM
Eh, what? Sounds like I'm definitely in the wrong part of this country! :smalltongue:

Indeed it does :smallwink:

I admit I only have experience with my particular part of Australia (Canberra) which despite being the capital is a very poor indicator of the national culture.

That said, I've never known friends of roughly my age (18) men or women who didn't hug as a form of greeting and farewell. It's just the done thing :smallredface:

Lady Moreta
2011-08-07, 11:45 PM

That's what I was going to say! Australia & New Zealand here and about all I can say is 'it depends'. It depends on the situation, it depends on the friend/family member.

I have very few friends who actually like touching/hugging, so I rarely hug my friends because they don't like it (which sucks, because I love hugs). With these people, hugs are more reserved for 'big deal' situations, like if they're upset, or if we're seeing each other after a long time apart. For instance, my best friend came over from NZ to visit me last year, I hugged the life out of her when she arrived and when she left, but she HATES being hugged in general. With her, I am more likely to throw an arm around her shoulders and do a lopsided hug like that - and that's only because we've known each other nigh-on 20 years so she let's me get away with it. My friends over here? I can't actually think of an occassion when I've hugged any of them... except one lady who also does the kiss-on-the-cheek thing, but I haven't seen her in months. :smallfrown: I have one friend I can think of off the top of my head who likes hugs - and she's currently living and working in Brunei. You know... all this is doing is making me realise how few friends I have :smallfrown:

My family are much more huggy - on Dad's side at least, Mum's side not so much. Then it's pretty much hugs on greeting and on goodbying... but as they're all in another country, it hasn't happened lately!

SilverSheriff
2011-08-07, 11:58 PM
Australia here, All of my close male friends are Homophobes so it's a Hug Free zone. :smallannoyed:

Used to get BRO-hugs often from a friend who has been pretty busy with work of late.:smallsigh:

Ricky S
2011-08-07, 11:59 PM

In my friends group hugging is an abomination of nature. The only hugging that is done is when you are in a relationship with someone.

Skeppio
2011-08-08, 12:19 AM
In my friends group hugging is an abomination of nature. The only hugging that is done is when you are in a relationship with someone.

That doesn't sound very fun. :smallfrown:

AsteriskAmp
2011-08-08, 12:29 AM
Those are some deep kisses when you're doing inside the cheek Araveugnitsuga
I fail to understand how any part of my statement could be interpreted as such.
Link for the social conventional aspect. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheek_kissing)

Temotei
2011-08-08, 12:34 AM
I fail to understand how any part of my statement could be interpreted as such.
Link for the social conventional aspect. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheek_kissing)

You said "kiss in the cheek." It seems like that means "in the mouth," since the inside of the cheek is in the mouth. On the cheek is probably the more common phrase, anyway, but we all knew what you were saying. It was just a joke, I would hope.

AsteriskAmp
2011-08-08, 12:37 AM
You said "kiss in the cheek." It seems like that means "in the mouth," since the inside of the cheek is in the mouth. On the cheek is probably the more common phrase, anyway, but we all knew what you were saying. It was just a joke, I would hope.
English and its ambiguities.
I supposed cheek could lead into a confusion, so I tried to find the wikipedia article for the unambiguous word in Spanish (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mejilla) and find the English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheek) version, which was cheek.

Unless it was a joke and I'm being rather obtuse.

factotum
2011-08-08, 01:31 AM
It wasn't the word "cheek" that was the problem, it was the word "in". In implies inside, and inside your cheeks is inside your mouth. "On" would be the more normal way to say it.

NikitaDarkstar
2011-08-08, 02:20 AM
Sweden: Girls hugging girls or girls hugging guys is totally fine and fairly common, but guys don't hug guys, and generally girl+guy hug is only among closer friends. the kiss thing I've only really seen among various immigrants.

Also I have to say, the US hugs A LOT more than I'm used to.:smallredface:

Ajadea
2011-08-08, 02:24 AM
I hug my friends, don't generally touch strangers. US here. Then again, my friends are very huggy and generally tactile people-half of them view trying to fit as many people of both genders as possible on two couches as an interesting and not at all awkward activity. Hugging is just kinda something they do.

PersonMan
2011-08-08, 04:33 AM
Well, when I lived in Indianapolis there were some people who hugged, but it was only a few people. The rest usually just say some variation of "hi". I and a few other people nod, but it's uncommon, as well.

Here in northwestern Germany, it's fairly similar. A few people hug each other, but apart from that it's all verbal, apart from an occasional high-five-esque greeting.

Dvil
2011-08-08, 04:41 AM
People hug here. It's not too often, but among close friends it happens a lot. Unlike many of the posts here, there's no real stigma against two blokes hugging, and there's even a special manly type of hug for just such an occasion :smalltongue:

Knaight
2011-08-08, 04:56 AM
US, northern Colorado.

Hugging is a way close friends and family use to greet each other in some situations, usually after having spent a fair amount of time apart. Unless they are both male, in which case hand shakes are used - though I have seen hugging used to deliberately make a point regarding the culture of discomfort*. There is also something called a side hug** where one uses only one arm, that tends to see use with less tactile people, or people who are romantically attracted enough for a normal hug to gain connotations for them it wouldn't have in other situations.

*I'm not getting into the background on this to any real degree, but it basically comes down to homophobia.

**Normally religion is mentioned in this term, but I'm removing it.

Dark Kerman
2011-08-08, 06:46 AM
I find in England that hugs are incredibly common (in the Midlands), if anything especially amongst men. :smalltongue:

KingOfLaughter
2011-08-08, 08:05 AM
Canada!

Hugs, handshakes, bro-hugs, props, high fives.

Most girls hug, though all are common, guys-girls, is a hug (usually), guys do all of the above, though mostly props or high fives.

Handshakes are usually for meeting new people.

Kissing is usually for relationships, and occasionally family, if it's part of their cultural heritage.

Me? I will hug the **** out of anyone I meet, friend or not. :P

Ashen Lilies
2011-08-08, 11:02 AM
Apparently I've gained some sort of reputation as a not very huggable person among my friends. Whenever a bunch of us meet, everyone will all hug each other, and then I get a verbal greeting.
This makes me sad. :smallfrown:

Fiery Diamond
2011-08-08, 11:10 AM
I'm US. My experience has been that hugging is a common way of expressing affection, but not merely a greeting/farewell, which means that it is restricted to family and close friends, though sometimes more huggy people will extend that to less-close friends and general acquaintances.

Maralais
2011-08-08, 11:18 AM
Mexico here:

Same here in Turkey. Also, cheek-to-cheek kiss is also common. Though it's not done much for adult males to adult males.

And then there's the kissing hand and then putting it to the forehead thing as a sign of respect to old people.

THAC0
2011-08-08, 11:37 AM
Don't forget the man-hug! In the rare event that two men wish to hug, it must be done with one arm, slapping the other's back in a dominance struggle! :smallbiggrin:

Dvil
2011-08-08, 11:46 AM
Don't forget the man-hug! In the rare event that two men wish to hug, it must be done with one arm, slapping the other's back in a dominance struggle! :smallbiggrin:

Remember, the other arm initiates a handshake just before this takes place or it's not a proper man-hug.

Amelia Wyatt
2011-08-08, 01:04 PM
Ireland here! :smallbiggrin:
I know for a fact, hugs are almost more common than waving here!
Both girls and guys hug each other!
Usually, just to say hello, goodbye, or if you just get the urge to hug someone really.
We usually just hug friends and people we know though. . . . :smalltongue:

Heliomance
2011-08-08, 03:00 PM
Aye, I was going to mention the Man Hug. Right hands clasped, forearms at 45 degrees above the horizontal, step forwards, left arm around the other man's shoulders and pound his back up to twice. Hold for no more than two seconds, and step back.

DeadManSleeping
2011-08-08, 03:16 PM
Aye, I was going to mention the Man Hug. Right hands clasped, forearms at 45 degrees above the horizontal, step forwards, left arm around the other man's shoulders and pound his back up to twice. Hold for no more than two seconds, and step back.

http://www.johnnywander.com/comics/172

Says it all, really.

Klose_the_Sith
2011-08-08, 07:47 PM
So apparently Canberra is the only good part of Australia - by virtue of hugging.

I always knew it'd be decided by something like this.

Ricky S
2011-08-09, 06:59 AM
That doesn't sound very fun. :smallfrown:

Well most of my friends are guys so hugging them would be pretty weird.

Skeppio
2011-08-09, 07:01 AM
Well most of my friends are guys so hugging them would be pretty weird.

:smallconfused: I don't see how it's weird. A hug's a hug.

Eldan
2011-08-09, 07:05 AM
Switzerland.

I don't think I've hugged anyone in years. And I'm trying to recall any hugs I've seen, but I can't think of any. Between female family members, maybe.

polity4life
2011-08-09, 07:14 AM
I think the world could use more hugging.

For my part, I hug everyone I know if they're comfortable with a hug. And I don't do the bro hug, or man hug as it was described earlier. That is actually the modern man hug. The original man hug was a normal hug with two pats on the back from both hands then release.

shadow_archmagi
2011-08-09, 08:13 AM
Ireland here! :smallbiggrin:
I know for a fact, hugs are almost more common than waving here!
Both girls and guys hug each other!
Usually, just to say hello, goodbye, or if you just get the urge to hug someone really.
We usually just hug friends and people we know though. . . . :smalltongue:

So, let me get this straight: Ireland not only has the world's most abundant supply of red-haired girls, but those same ones give extra hugs!?

ROAD TRIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip

SilverSheriff
2011-08-09, 08:26 AM

I call shotgun.:smallbiggrin:

Klose_the_Sith
2011-08-09, 08:39 AM
:smallconfused: I don't see how it's weird. A hug's a hug.

Indeed. Even my dad freely hugs, and he looks like he's aspiring to be the next Kaiser Wilhelm. (http://pems.unsw.adfa.edu.au/staff/profiles/weber/index.html)

shadow_archmagi
2011-08-09, 08:39 AM
I call shotgun.:smallbiggrin:

No, the UK's gun laws are too strict

KingOfLaughter
2011-08-09, 10:14 AM

I'll bring my army ID, then we're fine!

Siosilvar
2011-08-09, 10:31 AM
My friends don't usually hug, gals or guys. The German exchange students did though.

Why are you going through the UK to get to Ireland?

Worlok
2011-08-09, 10:38 AM
Indeed. Even my dad freely hugs, and he looks like he's aspiring to be the next Kaiser Wilhelm.
Doesn't surprise me, o goalscorer of the Dark Side. We Germans and our royalty beards love us some huggings sometimes. :smallbiggrin: Though man-to-man is usually only done in the family here, as well. Or while drunk. Or with very close friends. Or when there's someone around who isn't sufficiently weirded out. :smalltongue:

shadow_archmagi
2011-08-09, 12:14 PM
Why are you going through the UK to get to Ireland?

I am not a clever man (http://buttersafe.com/2008/10/23/the-detour/)

Perenelle
2011-08-09, 12:39 PM
Eh, hugging is pretty normal here. (North Carolina) But I tend to give hugs more than most people do, so sometimes I weird people out by hugging them so often. :smalltongue: I should probably control myself more when it comes to the random hugging impulse.

Dvil
2011-08-09, 12:42 PM
Eh, hugging is pretty normal here. (North Carolina) But I tend to give hugs more than most people do, so sometimes I weird people out by hugging them so often. :smalltongue: I should probably control myself more when it comes to the random hugging impulse.

Never! Hugs are great! Keep giving them! Etc!

Knaight
2011-08-09, 02:38 PM
So, let me get this straight: Ireland not only has the world's most abundant supply of red-haired girls, but those same ones give extra hugs!?

Road trip logistical problem: Ireland is on an island. As far as I know, your car doesn't double as a boat.

Lissou
2011-08-09, 02:41 PM
I'm from France, which has been covered, but I'll say that your friend is right. I've only hugged my parents (not my siblings), possibly my grandparents, only one friend because we were "being anglo-saxxon" in high-school so we greeted that way, and people I've had sex with. That's pretty much it.
As far as regular greetings, if you touch at all then the "kiss", which is cheek against cheek while making a kiss sound, is common between females or between a male and a female but a bit rarer between males, in which case handshakes are more common. In more formal settings it's handshakes for everyone.

Personally I find hugs to be very intimate. It's someone touching my breasts and all. The "kiss" has much less contact, only your cheeks touch and sometimes they don't even. Therefore doing it with strangers seems much less intrusive to me.

Klose_the_Sith
2011-08-09, 02:49 PM
Doesn't surprise me, o goalscorer of the Dark Side. We Germans and our royalty beards love us some huggings sometimes. :smallbiggrin: Though man-to-man is usually only done in the family here, as well. Or while drunk. Or with very close friends. Or when there's someone around who isn't sufficiently weirded out. :smalltongue:

If the rest of my friends were German I suspect this would be the perfect explanation for the hugging phenomenon I've found in Canberra. Still, I'll enjoy the thought anyway :smallbiggrin:

Amelia Wyatt
2011-08-09, 05:35 PM

Haha! Well, yeah! :smalltongue:
And you're all more than welcome anytime! PARTAY!! xD :smallbiggrin: Lol!

Worlok
2011-08-10, 02:24 PM
Still, I'll enjoy the thought anyway :smallbiggrin:
You're not sufficiently weirded out. I may be forced to hug you. :smallfurious: :smalltongue:

Klose_the_Sith
2011-08-10, 08:19 PM
You're not sufficiently weirded out. I may be forced to hug you. :smallfurious: :smalltongue:

How are you going to weird me out? You just explained the cuddliness of my grandparents German club :smalltongue:

Ashtar
2011-08-11, 05:09 AM
In Switzerland, I shake hands with my best male friends (Which weirded out my american girlfriend, she feels it's much too formal), but I hug my closest female friends (Hugging is rare here, but I'm a touchy-feely person). Apart from that, for normal man-woman greetings, it's the 3 cheek kisses (we do 3 here, not 2 like the french).

I do hug my family, though, but since we're more British than Swiss at home, I feel it's a normal way of expressing affection.

In fact, even "To hug" in French is difficult to translate well: Embrasser, lit: "To take in one's arms" now means to kiss. Currently you would use: "serrer dans ses bras" -> lit: "To squeeze in one's arms" or "étreindre" -> "embrace". And "étreindre" isn't a commonly used word at all.

Wandiya
2011-08-11, 06:24 AM
Road trip logistical problem: Ireland is on an island. As far as I know, your car doesn't double as a boat.

I see no problem. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzxuEOxYSLE)

On topic: Hugs are rarely given where I live (North Queensland, Australia) though mainly because of the homophobia factor. We greet each other usually with a (sarcastic) "'Sup bru?" or just a hi/hey/hello or a screaming of the person's nick name.