PDA

View Full Version : What are the benefits of buddy and ignore lists?

Sunken Valley
2011-08-14, 05:05 PM
Title says it all.

Mystic Muse
2011-08-14, 05:12 PM
Ignore list means you don't have to look at that poster's posts if you don't want. You still can, and there'll be a spot where the user's post in a thread is saying "this user is on your ignore list" but the content of the post itself will be blocked. I believe you also avoid receiving PMs from somebody on your ignore list, but I don't know.

Buddy lists I have no clue.

Rae Artemi
2011-08-14, 07:23 PM
The buddy list is basically just a faster way to see if the people in it are online.

Dogmantra
2011-08-14, 08:44 PM
I believe you also avoid receiving PMs from somebody on your ignore list, but I don't know.

top is what you get in your PM box if you receive a PM from someone on your ignore list, bottom is what a post by an ignored person looks like:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll78/De_ressurect/ignore.png

Occasional Sage
2011-08-14, 08:46 PM
Ignore list means you don't have to look at that poster's posts if you don't want. You still can, and there'll be a spot where the user's post in a thread is saying "this user is on your ignore list" but the content of the post itself will be blocked. I believe you also avoid receiving PMs from somebody on your ignore list, but I don't know.

The benefit is that you can avoid people who bother you. There is (for instance) a troll who dodges rules violations by *this much* who's on my ignore list, cuz I'm always tempted to flame when I see his posts.

Mystic Muse
2011-08-14, 09:03 PM
The benefit is that you can avoid people who bother you. There is (for instance) a troll who dodges rules violations by *this much* who's on my ignore list, cuz I'm always tempted to flame when I see his posts.

Or in my case, I put on people who have annoyed me enough that I don't even want to see posts by them any more, or they've said something I find so morally disgusting I don't want to respond to/hold a conversation with them anymore.

happyturtle
2011-08-14, 09:08 PM
The buddy list is less immediately useful, but you can scan it at a glance to see who is online or not (assuming they don't hide their status, like I do :smalltongue:). I suppose it could be useful to have all your pbp roleplay partners on it, for example.

Katana_Geldar
2011-08-15, 12:21 AM
It would be easier if the buddy list was a dropdown menu, then I could send my pbp players the same PM when I need to.

Gullara
2011-08-15, 01:20 AM
It would be easier if the buddy list was a dropdown menu, then I could send my pbp players the same PM when I need to.

You can press 'quick links' at the top of the screen, and then 'open buddy list' and it will bring up a box that displays your buddy list. From there you can check off anyone on the list and send a PM to them all at once.

So... I believe that's what you wanted out of it. Unless I'm misreading what you mean because it's late.

Occasional Sage
2011-08-15, 03:03 PM
Or in my case, I put on people who have annoyed me enough that I don't even want to see posts by them any more, or they've said something I find so morally disgusting I don't want to respond to/hold a conversation with them anymore.

I'm glad to see I'm not on that list!

Kneenibble
2011-09-01, 10:25 AM
Ignore yourself. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Gorgondantess
2011-09-01, 10:47 AM
Ignore yourself. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I tried it... and I really wanted to ignore myself...
I mean, think of the practicality! Suddenly all your posts are essentially spoiler'd, which saves time and space scanning through a thread! I mean, why read what you wrote- you really should know better than anyone what you posted- and if you don't, no problem! Just view it anyways!

Seerow
2011-09-01, 04:01 PM
You know, it'd be a neat feature if there were a statistic you could view in your profile telling you how many ignore lists you are on (but not who has you on ignore).

I think it would be interesting at least.

Circle of Life
2011-09-01, 04:11 PM
Anything that encourages pseudo-trolling hard enough for people to ignore you, but not hard enough to get banned is a bad idea.

ghost_warlock
2011-09-08, 02:28 AM
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/ignoreall.jpg