PDA

View Full Version : Going back to school... on Wednesday?

Pokonic
2011-08-15, 04:36 PM
So, in wake of bad weather that resulted in power lines going down, the start of school in my area has been delayed for two days. There is no outige in my house, but apparently the schools where not prepared for lines going down.

Any storys anybody can share about massive school closings?

Haruki-kun
2011-08-15, 05:23 PM
Two years ago during the 2009 Swine Flu outbreak, Mexico cancelled classes for little over a week.

It happened right before finals in my case, so for me it was used as an opportunity for catching up. <.<

This, I should add, was an absolute order. All schools, from nursery homes to universities in the entire country.

Lady Moreta
2011-08-15, 07:54 PM
Christchurch earthquakes, both in September last year and the more devastating one in February this year. Schools (and universities etc) had to be closed until inspections could take place to ensure they were safe. My mother is a teacher and the school she taught at (which is also the school I went to) was closed for at least a week both times (I think the second time it was closed for two weeks, because that's how long it took an inspector to get out there).

Syka
2011-08-15, 09:19 PM
Hurricanes. That is all.

My senior year I think we missed 3+ weeks of school in the first month or two. One week and change for a single hurricane alone.

Whiffet
2011-08-15, 10:07 PM
Back in my early elementary school days, there was a severe ice storm. Schools were closed for weeks, and the ice brought down some power lines. My entire neighborhood lost power. It was COLD!!

Oh, and severe weather this winter kept everyone out of school for most of January. We probably could have attended some of those days, but a bus full of middle school students tipped over when the snow first started getting really bad. No one was (severely) hurt, but the administration was understandably paranoid after that.

I didn't care, because I was a senior and seniors don't make up snow days. They can't change the graduation date, after all. :smallbiggrin:

Lady Moreta
2011-08-15, 10:25 PM
Snow actually. Way back in 1992 there was a big snowstorm in Christchurch that cancelled school for a day... there's been another big fall just recently and my mother just told me she hasn't been at work/school for the past two days (back tomorrow though).

And water. My primary school once had to close because of flooding in one area - actually I think they said 'only send your kids to school if they have gumboots' because you had to wade through the flooded area to get to the classrooms.

Mauve Shirt
2011-08-15, 10:32 PM
There've been a few memorably huge snows that have gotten school cancelled for me. Most of them were during grade school. The most recent was the one in early 2010, remarkable because classes at UMW were very very rarely cancelled on account of weather, and the school was closed for 4 days. About 2 feet of snow.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-08-15, 11:15 PM
Only ever had one day cancelled at a time, no more. I can count the number of days school's been cancelled on one hand.

Way back when I still took the bus, we drove through the tail end of a hurricane. That was fun.
Yeah, we've only ever closed school during blizzards. And then, only DURING the actual blizzard. Once in 2008, I think it was, once in 2009, twice in 2010, and I think once this year. Maybe twice. Oh yeah, once we almost had to cancel school because our water froze, but they got it working again. Sad. I had a test that day.

factotum
2011-08-16, 01:25 AM
I got used to starting the autumn term at school late. My father would take everyone on holiday in the first week of term because everything was cheaper then! (They wouldn't let you get away with that *now*, but this was the best part of 30 years ago, in simpler times).

Lycan 01
2011-08-16, 01:31 AM
Hurricane Katrina. IIRC, my school was canceled for about a week. We were in central Mississippi, which didn't get hit too badly damage wise, but the power was out for a few days, and there was a lot of chaos and confusion. School didn't start back until the week after the hurricane, give or take a day.

Other than that, a few Snow/Ice days. Snow in Mississippi is rare. Like, we'll get it once or twice a year. So when it happens, people PANIC. Nobody knows how to drive when its snowy and icy here, because it never happens. Even if it doesn't snow, they'll cancel school because its cold enough to ice the roads. And thus, everything gets canceled.

I think I had two Snow Days last year, actually. Didn't even snow on one of 'em. Just iced...

Castaras
2011-08-16, 02:01 AM
No strange occurances, but a few years ago my school started on a Friday when coming back from the Christmas Holidays. It was very confusing and irritating. And nobody knew why our school had decided to do it that way.

Fera Tian
2011-08-16, 02:40 AM
Back in my early elementary school days, there was a severe ice storm. Schools were closed for weeks, and the ice brought down some power lines. My entire neighborhood lost power. It was COLD!!

Oh, and severe weather this winter kept everyone out of school for most of January. We probably could have attended some of those days, but a bus full of middle school students tipped over when the snow first started getting really bad. No one was (severely) hurt, but the administration was understandably paranoid after that.

I didn't care, because I was a senior and seniors don't make up snow days. They can't change the graduation date, after all. :smallbiggrin:

Oh the problems of living 1.4 billion km from the sun.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-16, 01:08 PM
I missed over a week of school once because of a massive snow storm.

Xyk
2011-08-16, 03:34 PM
We don't really have intense weather here, except heat. It's been over 100 Fahrenheit for 24 straight days here. It's summer though, and school wasn't around to be canceled. I don't think extreme heat would cancel it anyways, being indoors and all.

Also, is it strange to start on a Wednesday? I start college on a Thursday and my little sister starts high school on a Tuesday. That's always been normal to me.

Imperial Psycho
2011-08-16, 06:32 PM
Had closures for around a week this year and last due to snow. (Not a massive amount of snow compared to other countries, but in Britain everyone manages to be caught completely unprepared when it snows every year)

Other than that, no. we have the fortune of being somewhere without extreme weather conditions.

ForzaFiori
2011-08-16, 08:24 PM
@Xyk: School start days are all over the place. I start back in college on a thursday, my friend starts on a tuesday, and the high school we went to starts on a monday, and they're all within 50 mi. of each other.

When the southeastern US had a huge snowstorm a couple years back, It was chaos here. I'm in the mountains of SC, where you see snow some, but there was snow on the beach, in Colombia, all the way down into Georgia. Actually, there was snow in every state except Florida. Every county in the state closed schools, except for mine. I have no idea why they didn't, since we usually cancel if it goes below freezing because there could be ice on the roads, and when every school in NC, SC, and Georgia had canceled, we didn't even get a delay.

Artemis97
2011-08-18, 02:04 AM
Add in another one fore Hurricanes here. Usually we have a few 'hurricane days' built into the school calendar, but in 2005 I think it was, we got hit by three storms in quick succession. School was out for weeks, and most of us didn't have power during that, and even after we were told to return. I remember some of my classmates were coming in from other counties or from hotels because their houses got wrecked. I'm pretty sure my highschool stayed closed longer than most schools because it was used as an emergency shelter and people weren't able to go home yet.

As for odd start days, my classes in gradeschool have consistantly started on odd days like Friday. I never understood it. Let's go back to school for one day and then get off for the weekend! I think my college classes officially start on Sunday or Saturday, but I never have weekend classes, so I just show up for Monday.