View Full Version : The Pirate- straight up pirate. [-failed]

Cipher Stars
2011-08-16, 11:49 AM
The Pirate

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss360/lexal/Whitebeard.png

When does a man die?
When he is hit with a bullet? No.
When he suffers a disease? No.
When he ate a soup made out of poisonous mushrooms?
NO. A man dies when he is forgotten!!

Abilities: A Pirates most important ability... is what he chooses. It all depends on your individual, Pirates aren't conveyor belt copy/pasta reprints, they've got choice.

Organization: Pirates are in they're own right an Organization. Most Pirates know about many other pirates, and from there have they're own opinion on them. Two pirates could easily be companions, or throat-tearing enemies.

Alignment: A Pirate can be of any alignment, but the life of a Pirate isn't one most Lawful's choose.

Religion: Lady Luck, Sea Witch, Davy Jones. Pirates each have they're own believe, but there are also a array of pirate beliefs shared that each eventually comes to know, if they don't believe it themselves.

Background: Pirates come from all walks of life. Common routes lead from oppressed souls who take to the sea to escape, and eventually to grow away from kingdom's rule.

Other Classes: For some reason Pirates just can't seem to get along with Ninjas. Or most other lawful, traditional, or "cookie-cutter" classes.

{table=head]Level | Base Attack | Fort | Reflex | Will | Special | Talents
1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2| Pirate Proficiencies, Personal Code | 4

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3| Booty | 8

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3| | 12

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4| Code | 16

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4| | 20

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5| Booty | 24

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5| | 28

8th|
+6/1|
+6|
+2|
+6| Code | 32

9th|
+6/1|
+6|
+3|
+6| | 36

10th|
+7/2|
+7|
+3|
+7| Booty | 40

11th|
+8/3|
+7|
+3|
+7| | 44

12th|
+9/4|
+8|
+4|
+8| Code | 48

13th|
+9/4|
+8|
+4|
+8| | 52

14th|
+10/5|
+9|
+4|
+9| Booty | 56

15th|
+11/6/1|
+9|
+5|
+9| | 60

16th|
+12/7/2|
+10|
+5|
+10| Code | 64

17th|
+12/7/2|
+10|
+5|
+10| | 68

18th|
+13/8/3|
+11|
+6|
+11| Booty | 72

19th|
+14/9/4|
+11|
+6|
+11| | 76

20th|
+15/10/5|
+12|
+6|
+12| Code | 80
[/table]

Hit Die: d10

Skill Points: 6+Int (x4 at first level).

Class Skills: Select any four, +1 per int or wis or cha mod.

Starting Gold: 4d6x10

Starting Age: As Rogue

Pirate Proficiencies: A Pirate is proficient with any weapon he examines for one full round action per enhancement bonus (Minimum 1), As well as proficiency with Light armor, and Light shields. This needed study turns to hours on a Pirate who hasn't taken a Level in pirate twice in a row. and days if the Pirate hasn't taken a pirate level for five levels in a row. However, Every Pirate may start play with a Cutlass and Two Flintlocks (Real pirates load up on as many flintlocks as possible, reloading them is a pain) The Pirate can only know up to his Intelligence modifier of Exotic weapons at a time. -1 per level gone by without taking a level of pirate.

Personal Code: A Pirate has his own set of morals, do's and do-nots.
A Pirate cannot act against his Personal Code, but can change his code through use of the Atonement spell. This isn't just fluff however, at first level and every 4 levels thereafter on "Code" levels, the Pirate gains an associated ability.

Code of the Blue Hat:
Alignments: Lawful-Neutral good, Lawful-True Neutral.
A Pirate is only as good as the men he keeps. A pirate without allies sure to be slain, and a Blue Hat pirate makes sure they are never alone because the strength of numbers and the value of order and law among the crew is key to success.
Booty Skill; Diplomacy.
Treasure; Fancy clothes.
Stages;
First:

Code of the Golden Heart:
Alignments: Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic good, Lawful/True/Chaotic Neutral
Your a Pirate, True. But your not in it for Greed, or Personal Gain, Your in it for Freedom and Opportunity, not just for yourself but for others you pick up along the way and maybe even a town or two.
Booty Skill; Bluff
Treasure; Art.
Stages;

The Pirate can gain it's charisma modifier vs Fear effects, and grant half their mod to any non-enemy that can see or hear them the same benefit. The Pirate can touch a creature under an effect and talk to it, reassuring and bolstering it's spirit allowing them to make a new save against an ongoing effect they failed against with a +5 moral bonus.
The Pirate is more in tune to danger to themselves and to those they care about. They gain a +4 bonus to initiative and can always act in the surprise round. They are never caught flat footed unless held immobile by an effect.
The Pirate gains it's charisma modifier vs any enchantment spell, and as a bonus to escape artist attempts. You can use freedom of movement a number of times per day equal to your class levels.
The Pirate can gain the leadership feat for free, and gains a +2 bonus to their effective level for that feat. This is only for the purposes of gaining a cohort. The Pirate gains it's class levels as a bonus to diplomacy checks.
The Pirate can cast break enchantment as a supernatural ability a number of times per day equal to their class levels. Freedom of movement can be used at will. The pirate can use Raise Dead with no cost a number of times per day equal to 1/4th class levels, but only against allies who have died within fifteen minutes.
The Pirate can cast miracle as a supernatural ability at no cost once per day, so long as it's effect is related to freedom, opportunity, or community care as defined by the DM.

Code of the Red Coat:
Alignments: Neutral/Chaotic good, True/Chaotic Neutral

Code of the Silver Hook:
Alignments: Lawful/Neutral good, Lawful/True neutral, Lawful/Neutral evil.
Pirate you say? No. I'm a hunter of the seas and a bringer of law. Silver Hook's are independent bounty hunters of a sort. They hate the unlawful ways many Pirates stereotypically represent. They take to the seas in an attempt to cleanse the impurity of the tradewinds.

Code of the Wooden Leg:
Alignments: Any

Code of the Copper Tooth:
Alignments: Neutral/Chaotic good, True/Chaotic Neutral, Neutral/Chaotic evil.

Code of the Grey Soul:
Alignments: Lawful/True Neutral, Lawful/Neutral evil.
Your in it for the bigger picture. Piracy is just a stage in a plan, Gather a crew, gain infamy, renown, power, and following. The sea is an opportunity, and an expanse of limitless growth. Grow enough.. you could conquer countries.

Code of the Blackened Beard:
Alignments: Lawful/True/Chaotic Neutral, Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic evil

Code of the Demon Eye:
Alignments: True/Chaotic Neutral, Neutral/Chaotic evil.

Talents:
As the Pirate progresses, he gains Talents. More accurately, he gains a pool of points with which he can purchase Talents. Talents are abilities they gain ranging from wacky, useful, or stylish. They come in the form of Trees, unless otherwise specified, a Talent costs 1 Talent to purchase and is an at-will Spell-like ability.

Skill
Athletics
1- +4 Climb, Jump, Swim
2- Can Always take ten on Athletic skills, Count as if you always have a Running Start for Jumps and are twice your hight. Use the higher of your Dex or Str for Athletic checks. Swim speed half land speed. Climb speed half land speed.
4-

Acrobatics
1- +4 Balance, Escape Artist, Tumble
2-
4-

Perception
1- +4 Spot, Listen, Search
2-
4-

Awareness
1- +4 Sense Motive, Appraise, Decipher Script
2-
4-

Stealth
1- +4 Hide, Move Silently, Slight of Hand
2-
4-

Knowledge
1- +4 all knowledge
2-
4-

Practice
1- +4 Profession, Craft, Perform
2-
4-

Smarmy
1- +4 Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate
2-
4-

Investigative
1- +4 Gather Information, Disable Device, Open Lock
2-
4-

Luck

Charm
1-
2-
3-
4-

Jinx

Melee

Range

Defensive

Supernatural

Path of Fire

1- Fire Resistance 5: Gain 5 fire resistance
1- Instill Fire Vulnerability 5: Touch attack to give subject 5 vulnerability to fire.
1- Burning Hands: Burning Hands, as the spell.
2- Flaming Sphere: (Requires Burning Hands) Flaming Sphere, as the spell.
2- Fireball: (Requires Burning Hands) Fireball, as the spell.
2- Instill Fire Vulnerability 10 (Requires previous version)
2- Fire Resistance 10 (Requires previous version)
3- Wall of Fire: (Requires Fireball) Wall of fire deals 2d6 fire damage/level to any who passes through it, 1d6/level to those within 20ft of one side you designate.
3- Flame of Seraphina: (Requires Instill Fire Vulnerability 10 and Fire Resistance 10) A column of fire arcs down from an orange cloud above the subjects head, dealing 5d6 fire damage and clinging to the victim dealing the damage again for a number of rounds equal to the Pirates Charisma Modifier. If they succeed on a Reflex save, they take 5d6 damage and don't catch fire.
3- Orb of Fire:(Requires Flaming Sphere) as the spell
3- Fire Resistance 15 (Requires previous version)
3- Instill Fire Vulnerability 15 (Requires previous version)
4- Hell's Seal: (Requires 1st-3rd Instill Vulnerabilities) Create a "Wall of Fire" as the 3rd ability that surrounds you in a ring 100ft in radius. Lasts for 3/level rounds, any time while the Ring is active you can create a Line of fire reaching from one side of the ring to the other. the line must be straight, and deals 1d6/level damage to those in the line on a failed reflex save as a Move equivalent action.
4- Meteor Lord's Crown: (Requires Orb of Fire, Fireball, and Burning Hands) Cha mod worth of small balls of fire appear around your head. As a free action, you can send one toward an enemy and it deals damage as a Delayed Blast Fireball and leaves an Orb of Fire for 3 rounds.
4- Seraph's Blaze: (Requires 1st-3rd Resistance abilities) Gain wings of Fire, Fly speed twice Land Speed (Good maneuverability). As you move you can opt to leave a trail of fire which acts like Wall of Fire as listed in the 3rd rank abilities.

Path of Light

Path of Water
1- Water breathing, Water Walking
1- Create Water, Destroy Water
1- Rainfall- a single drop of water falls from the sky empowered through magic energies to strike as though an Anvil. deals 1d4 damage per 10ft fallen, falls 10ft per caster level to a max of 50ft at 5th level (Dealing 5d4 damage)
1- Aqualock- Cast "Halt" manifesting as a curtain of water, prevents forward movement unless they succeed on a STR check DC 10+Cha mod+1/4th level
2-
2-
2-
2-
3-
3-
3-
3-
4-
4-
4-
4-

Path of Ice

Path of Stone

Path of Wood

Path of the Beast

Path of Darkness

Path of Good

Path of Evil

Path of Law

Path of Chaos

Path of Healing

Path of Inflicting

Path of the Moon

Path of Cog

Path of Steam

Path of Powder

Wild Wastland Silly Seas

Booty:
What's a Pirate without their treasure?
At every Booty level, the Pirate gains a certain increase in their overall worth. This can be in hidden or buried treasure, or a bounty on their heads. Snuggled right in with this would be the pirate's vice, a personal treasure type they love most based upon their Code.
With this increase, they gain a measure of renown or infamy that effects social interaction and the strength of their presence increases. The social skill and Stage ability benefit is based on their code. At each rank they have a universal knack for finding their treasure of choice. The social bonus is multiplied by three for a percent chance that they will find treasure specific to their taste. Such as finding an equivalent worth in diamonds rather than plain gold... or even pounds of meat rather than gold.

+2. Stage 1.
+4.
+6. Stage 2.
+10.
+16. Stage 3.

NeoSeraphi
2011-08-16, 11:57 AM
What? A pirate without options to buff Bluff, Intimidate and Gather Information! Absurd!

I like the look of the class though. Perhaps a new weapon is in order? The cutlass?

Cutlass Sm 1d6 Med 1d8 One-Handed Slashing weapon Critical 18-20/x2

The cutlass can be used for and grants a +2 bonus to Disarm checks, as well as Intimidate checks made by a pirate (as long as the target of the Intimidate check is aware the wielder is a pirate)

Cipher Stars
2011-08-16, 01:15 PM
In case it wasn't obvious, this things not even a third done.

Mother doesn't like working on her WORK laptop, so I had to give her the desktop while I use her work laptop...

NeoSeraphi
2011-08-16, 01:26 PM
In case it wasn't obvious, this things not even a third done.

Mother doesn't like working on her WORK laptop, so I had to give her the desktop while I use her work laptop...

It's quite obvious, Princess, don't worry about it. I just thought that Bluff would have been the skill you put down first, you being Miss Charisma and all.

Can't wait to see the finished product. Suggested SLAs- cheat (bard 1, Spell Compendium), glibness (bard 3, PHB), detect law (cleric 1, PHB), and perhaps some kind of Smite Law ability.

Edit: Chaotic classes with spellcasting normally grant some kind of immunity or bonus against compulsion effects (such as the Paladin of Freedom's Aura of Freedom). Just a suggestion I thought might work with a pirate.

Cipher Stars
2011-08-16, 02:07 PM
Added "Path of Fire" to the Supernatural Talents as a test-run. How does it look? need I add required minimum levels?
Should I give them more Talent Points? (They'd only get Six 4th rank abilities as it stands, by level 20 and thats if they dedicate it)

NeoSeraphi
2011-08-16, 02:14 PM
It looks interesting, but you didn't say what ability modifier the DC uses.

Additionally, I think you should stick to the 6+Int thing for your skills instead of just giving 6. Without extra skill points, a pirate isn't getting rewarded for being particularly smarter than his comrades. It helps players customize their characters when the stats they choose are actually meaningful, you know?

Plus, if the pirate is a human, he doesn't have any other skills to put his extra skill point from being human into. He would have to invest in a cross class, and most players hate that.

As for Talent points...hmmm...maybe double the amount of points you give, to grant more varied approaches to a pirate? People like options.

eftexar
2011-08-16, 06:08 PM
Well the system is definitely interesting. I can't say anything about balance though until more talents are in. I would need to compare what possible combinations you can get and for how much. When you say that they come in trees, am I right in the assumption that you have to buy lesser talents to gain greater ones in order?
And kudos to you for the personal code feature. I always thought it would be cool to grant a class with a code whose abilities were based off of it, but was short on ideas (the horrificness of the paladin build clouds my mind).
Pirate Proficiencies seems a bit powerful. You could, potentially, become proficient with every weapon in the book(s). My suggestion would be to allow proficiency with a certain number of weapons in this way at a time, forcing a player to forget a previous weapon to gain knowledge of a new one.

Cipher Stars
2011-08-16, 06:31 PM
Well the system is definitely interesting. I can't say anything about balance though until more talents are in. I would need to compare what possible combinations you can get and for how much. When you say that they come in trees, am I right in the assumption that you have to buy lesser talents to gain greater ones in order?
And kudos to you for the personal code feature. I always thought it would be cool to grant a class with a code whose abilities were based off of it, but was short on ideas (the horrificness of the paladin build clouds my mind).
Pirate Proficiencies seems a bit powerful. You could, potentially, become proficient with every weapon in the book(s). My suggestion would be to allow proficiency with a certain number of weapons in this way at a time, forcing a player to forget a previous weapon to gain knowledge of a new one.

Changed Pirate Proficiency. Listed required Talents of 2nd and 3rd fire Talents to clarify.

Daverin
2011-08-16, 06:57 PM
All of your work has been pretty nice, but for some reason I really am looking forward to the completion of this. Maybe it is because you are trying to make a build-your-own class, or at least it looks like? :smalltongue:

Merchant
2011-08-17, 12:34 AM
I have to agree with Daverin. I've liked a lot of your work but this is by far my favorite. Just the code thing itself is pushing all my old favorite homebrew towards the window.

Love the quote and the One Peice picture.

I'd like the help if possible. Are you simply trying to give specific spells to the "supernatural" abilities it looks like that at the moment I was almost thinking you might go the Devil Fruit road for a sec.

I love luck and I can't wait to see what that might entail. There are tons of luck-based classes. I always found %misses pretty fun (as if objects and people were getting in the way of you getting hurt at the last minute)

Lastly, do you have any ship ideas? I was wondering if you would consider creating some ship outlines and maybe give a ship proficiency (fights better on certain ships) or just fights better while at seas. Any bonuses to profession (Captain) or (Navigator).

Perhaps treasure finding class feature. Heh sorry guess this was the last suggestion, for now.
Edit: Maybe the "Treasure" can differ depending on the pirate's Code.