Amechra
2011-08-16, 09:18 PM
Faustian Vision
Greater Invocation (6th)
Range: Close
Target: One willing living creature
Duration: 24 Hours
Save: Fort Save; see text
With a whisper and a flourish, you sign away your target's soul, giving them great power in exchange for doing a little bit of your dirty business for you.

When you use this invocation, the creature targeted gains a number of negative levels equal to half their ECL, and then gains a number of "virtual levels" equal to the number of negative levels inflicted.

A virtual level grants the following benefits:
-A +1 bonus to all skill checks, ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws.
-+5 HP
-+1 effective level.
-They automatically gain a single spell-slot of the lowest level spell they can cast (minimum 1st level).

In addition, they gain all the class features of the 1st level of a single base class, +1 base class for every 5 CL the user of this invocation has. They also gain a number of temporary HP that last for 24 hours equal to the HP that they would have gotten from the HD of those class levels. (Note: BAB and Base Saving Throw bonus are both treated as class features; this cannot raise the creatures BAB above their HD or increase their saves higher than 2+1/2 their HD.). They also gain a +2 bonus to all class skills of the base class that they have ranks in.

They also gain an untyped bonus of +2 to three ability scores, and an untyped bonus of +1 to the other three ability scores.

However, this invocation does have a drawback; any effect that removes negative levels also removes a single virtual level; the negative levels inflicted by this invocation can result in Level Loss.

Finally, the Warlock may use Suggestion, as the spell, on the recipient of this invocation once during the duration of this Invocation.

Only one instance of this invocation may be applied to any one creature at any one time.

----

Before you cry "imba!", I would like to say one thing: this might seem strong, but all it does is smack them with negative levels, mitigate those negative levels (but not remove them; the creature still has to contend with potential level loss), and then give them some shiny new tricks.

It can't grant someone access to a higher level of spell, or to any REALLY broken abilities; what it does is allow the Warlock to create a powerful minion on the fly.

Garryl
2011-08-16, 11:20 PM
This = Free levels. Add in Death Ward and you can do it without risk, too. Regardless, I don't see why you bother with the negative and positive levels, since they just cancel each other out for most purposes. The only thing they don't is spells slots/power points for spellcasters/manifesters.

This is probably rather strong, even for a 9th level spell. It effectively gives extra class levels, and it can give quite a few normally, and absurd amounts with CL shenanigans. Even normally, how would you rate a spell that gave (at the simple CL 11 that you get it at as Greater):

+2 untyped to 3 ability scores,
+2 to all (relevant) skill checks,
3d4 to 3d12 +3*Con temporary hit points,
Divine Power's BaB boost (by 1 to 3),
+1 to +3 to your lowest saves (untyped),
3 free levels of class features (that's 2 feats if you go Fighter, 2 Least invocations as a Warlock or DFA, 8 maneuvers known and 2 stances as a Swordsage, Charisma to saves as a Paladin, and any build will have better choices tailored to it),
... to all of your party members, animal companions, familiars, and other allies (even summons if you have time to prebuff).

Just consider it.

Amechra
2011-08-17, 12:10 AM
Should probably through in a clause stating that Death Ward and like effects don't block the Negative Levels/Level Drain, shouldn't I?

Plus, this is an INVOCATION. I don't think there are many CL shenanigans that work with invokers.

NeoSeraphi
2011-08-17, 12:35 AM
Should probably through in a clause stating that Death Ward and like effects don't block the Negative Levels/Level Drain, shouldn't I?

Plus, this is an INVOCATION. I don't think there are many CL shenanigans that work with invokers.

I believe he's referring to your arcane and divine party members who would be receiving the benefits.

You should probably actually say that if the creature is otherwise immune to energy drain it is immune to the effects of the invocation, as forcing vampires and the tarrasque to take negative levels in order to gain power wouldn't work from a fluff standpoint. If they can't normally be drained of power to supply the invocation, they shouldn't be affected in the first place.

Amechra
2011-08-17, 11:39 AM
True 'nuff.