PDA

View Full Version : Strangest refluffs?

Scarlet-Devil
2011-08-20, 03:48 PM
What are some of the strangest, or most ingenious, refluffs that you've encountered/used in a game? I don't have any spectacular examples of my own, at least not off the top of my head, but a minor one that comes to mind is when a fellow player recently refluffed a mithril shirt as some kind of mithril-meshed leotard (the character is an acrobat/dancer of some sort, and the player wanted her to have inconspicuous armor, I guess).

Greenish
2011-08-20, 03:55 PM
"Inconspicuous leotard" has to be the weirdest refluff ever. :smallamused:

Drachasor
2011-08-20, 04:02 PM

Eh, I'd say refluffing a dragon into a amoeba-like mass with psionic powers (that allow it to fly, for instance), would be weirder.

Pokonic
2011-08-20, 04:06 PM
Having all griffen-like beasts ( owlbears, maticores,ect) to all be a result of the same magical accident.

Greenish
2011-08-20, 04:07 PM
Eh, I'd say refluffing a dragon into a amoeba-like mass with psionic powers (that allow it to fly, for instance), would be weirder.Only if said amoeba-like mass wore a leotard.

Drachasor
2011-08-20, 04:10 PM
Only if said amoeba-like mass wore a leotard.

What if it was one?

Quietus
2011-08-20, 04:19 PM
What if it was one?

Then we'd have Venom or Carnage, and it would crank that dial all the way back to awesome.

Drachasor
2011-08-20, 04:20 PM
Then we'd have Venom or Carnage, and it would crank that dial all the way back to awesome.

"strange" does not mean "not awesome."

randomhero00
2011-08-20, 04:56 PM
OK, so take fighter (or more like swordsage) and take a rat (kobold) and take Splinter (from TNMNT) and take a jedi....and you have a rat-ish jedi-ish0-awesomesauce!

mucco
2011-08-20, 04:58 PM
A friend of mine refluffed Psions with crystal shard as machine gunners.

They kicked our ass.

Human Paragon 3
2011-08-20, 05:46 PM
We refluffled Battle Sorcerer into a Dr. Who-like science guy. His raven familiar was a floating orb that scanned things (adding to his appraise skill) and spoke, and he used color spray as a stun weapon, that was fluffed as coming from his sonic screwdriver.

The Glyphstone
2011-08-20, 06:12 PM
I played a Warforged Warlock once who was entirely mechanical/alchemical in nature. His Eldritch Blast was a laser cannon, he fired smoke grenades from his torso for Breath of the Night, and rocket jets in his feet fired when he used Fell Flight. All his other invocations were tech-based as well, but I can't remember them.

Sarone
2011-08-20, 06:28 PM
I smell cheese. Like cheddar and mozzerella with a hint of swiss and provolone.

But damn, that sounds cool.

Human Paragon 3
2011-08-20, 08:15 PM
What's cheesy about a re-fluffed Warforged Warlock? It's just a class / race combo. Warforged even takes a hit to casting stats, so if anything it's a sub-optimal, if awesomly flavorful choice.

Drachasor
2011-08-20, 08:17 PM
What's cheesy about a re-fluffed Warforged Warlock? It's just a class / race combo. Warforged even takes a hit to casting stats, so if anything it's a sub-optimal, if awesomly flavorful choice.

Some people have a reaction to anything that sounds cool; it has to be cheesy.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-20, 08:28 PM
TNMNT
It's TMNT.

Some people have a reaction to anything that sounds cool; it has to be cheesy.

The half-giant (with no LA buyoff) fighter who took EWP: Dwarven Waraxe, TWF, monkey grip, and OTWF is full of cheese somehow, despite being worse than the human fighter who took EWP: Spiked Chain, Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, and Stand Still.

Greenish
2011-08-20, 08:38 PM
It's TMNT.Now with extra Ninja?

The half-giant (with no LA buyoff) fighter who took EWP: Dwarven Waraxe, TWF, monkey grip, and OTWF is full of cheese somehow, despite being worse than the human fighter who took EWP: Spiked Chain, Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, and Stand Still.Well, it's big guy with a pair of huge axes rolling lots of large dice, it has to be cheesy!

Zaq
2011-08-20, 08:47 PM
As always, I bring in my example of my [3.5, obviously] warforged DFA who had absolutely nothing to do with dragons and who was instead a direct ripoff of Inspector Gadget. (Go Go Gadget Hot Glue!) All of his abilities were Go Go Gadget something-or-other. He also got all of his items made as attached or embedded components, so he had all kinds of things popping into and out of his body with a simple GGG declaration.

In D&D 4e, I play my Runepriest as a Truenamer (or, if you catch me on a punny day, a Rune Aimer), but that's not so much "refluffing" as "finishing what WotC started."

Then there was my [3.5 again] Spirit Shaman. He was a dwarf from Boatmurdered and, rather than a traditional imaginary friend spirit guide, he thought that the spirit of an elephant was stalking him. The spirit of the elephant WAS stalking him, actually, but it wasn't an elephant. It was the ghost of his dead husband, who Chrysanthemum Vow'd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Moonlight_and_Rain)himself while off fighting the Elephant Wars. (What? Like YOU'VE never combined Dwarf Fortress lore, Edo-period literature, and D&D into an unholy abomination before!) Rather than actually meditating with his spirit guide, he just drank until he couldn't see the elephant anymore (a process I called "communing with the spirits." Commence groans).

Ksheep
2011-08-20, 09:18 PM
Had a Spirit Shaman who was quite literally a hippy a while back. Bought as much hempen rope as he could and started smoking it. He ended up getting killed by a tree that decided to hug him (ie. he was hiding in a tree while incorporeal when someone dispelled magic on the area. DM ruled that I got stuck in the tree).

Antonok
2011-08-20, 09:19 PM
The most annoying (and yet quite clever) was when a DM of ours refluffed the choker as a jack-in-the-box for a christmas adventure we did. Damndable thing near killed my char too.

Doorhandle
2011-08-20, 09:23 PM
The most annoying (and yet quite clever) was when a DM of ours refluffed the choker as a jack-in-the-box for a christmas adventure we did. Damndable thing near killed my char too.

Note to self: as D.M, Refluff EVRYETHING. Keep the barstards on their toes.

hangedman1984
2011-08-20, 11:28 PM
refluffed binders and warlocks that i ended up not using:

Long ago the people of these islands followed the old gods, strange inhuman entities that supposedly predated the creation of the cosmos. In the beginning (according to their beliefs) there was nothing but the endless void and the GodFire, what would become the catalyst for all creation. From the GodFire came the first ones, and the first ones used the GodFire to begin the universe.

The GodFire burned and reacted and brought forth the lands and the skies and the seas. All things come from the initial chain reaction. This new world even began to birth people, all who worshipped the first ones, the old gods. But the first ones, not being of this world but before it, found they had difficulty maintaining a connection to it. So they taught these people how to call forth the first ones and to anchor them in their very souls.

All was good...for awhile, until settlers, immigrants from far shores came to this place. They saw these inhuman spirits dwelling in willing hosts and declared them to be fiends and horrors. They defiled the temples and rededicated them to their own gods, petty, new gods. They began converting the followers of the old ways, by swordpoint if necessary. The first ones, seeing the destruction being wrought by these foreingners, chose the bravest warriors, the wisest sages, the cleverest tricksters and placed a spark of the GodFire into their souls. And these champions did war with the newcomers. But the damage was too great, the old gods too distant from creation. The newcomers won and made worship of the old gods heresy.

But all this is ancient history. Few remember the old gods, and most that do only consider them a footnote in the history books. Only a handful keep the old ways, and always in secret, for worship of the old gods is still considered blasphemy.

jguy
2011-08-21, 12:01 AM
Note to self: as D.M, Refluff EVRYETHING. Keep the barstards on their toes.

Yeah, I learned a good lesson on refluffing from reading a story on these boards. The DM's players knew the MM inside and out just through sheer amount of play, so he needed to give them an unexpected challenge. They ended up fighting a huge cat like creature on fire that tore through the party. They were utterly terrified.

It turned out that it was an Elephant with a single template, Fiendish I think or some kind of elemental kind. Replace the bash with claws but that was about it.

I didn't so much refluff a creature but I modified it's description so much no one knew what it was. It was a literal hill of rock that could move in the semi-shape of an animal. It would boulder through people and smash them underneath it. It was an advanced (huge) Rhino with the Mineral Warrior template. No one guessed.

Rising Phoenix
2011-08-21, 12:35 AM
As always, I bring in my example of my [3.5, obviously] warforged DFA who had absolutely nothing to do with dragons and who was instead a direct ripoff of Inspector Gadget. (Go Go Gadget Hot Glue!) All of his abilities were Go Go Gadget something-or-other. He also got all of his items made as attached or embedded components, so he had all kinds of things popping into and out of his body with a simple GGG declaration.

In D&D 4e, I play my Runepriest as a Truenamer (or, if you catch me on a punny day, a Rune Aimer), but that's not so much "refluffing" as "finishing what WotC started."

Then there was my [3.5 again] Spirit Shaman. He was a dwarf from Boatmurdered and, rather than a traditional imaginary friend spirit guide, he thought that the spirit of an elephant was stalking him. The spirit of the elephant WAS stalking him, actually, but it wasn't an elephant. It was the ghost of his dead husband, who Chrysanthemum Vow'd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Moonlight_and_Rain)himself while off fighting the Elephant Wars. (What? Like YOU'VE never combined Dwarf Fortress lore, Edo-period literature, and D&D into an unholy abomination before!) Rather than actually meditating with his spirit guide, he just drank until he couldn't see the elephant anymore (a process I called "communing with the spirits." Commence groans).

I snorted soda out my nose when I read your last one. Good work sir :smallcool:

Scarlet-Devil
2011-08-21, 01:56 AM

True enough; presumably (from what I've seen so far) though, leotards are actually a known garment in the setting worn for acrobatics and whatnot (as we know them), so that's one thing. I think the idea was just that the protective aspect is inconspicuous, not the character herself, going around in a leotard; like wearing a bulletproof vest under your jacket (only in this case the vest is visible, except that it doesn't look like a bulletproof vest)... or something.

Anyway, brilliant stuff so far :smallbiggrin:; keep it coming.

starwoof
2011-08-21, 02:38 AM
Once upon a time we played a d20 future game. It was zombie apocalypse on the moon. My character went to Moon High. Everything we fought were dnd monsters refluffed to be plant based zombie mutants. Some of the notable ones were a zombie mutant girallon, which was just a gorilla escaped from the zoo that grew more arms.

There was also a thing described to us as 'basically picture a grey render, but its 40 feet tall and has a plant zombie wizard riding on the back'.

By the way, there was a wizard who was fluffed as a plant zombie. His spells were changed to reflect this. It was wicked. I hit him with a Gravball Stick. He didn't die.

Captain Six
2011-08-21, 09:27 AM
I got a DM to pass the Jedi Guardian from Starwars d20 after some re-flavoring and minor tweaks. I re-fluffed it as an order of Lawful Good knights from the elemental planes. You didn't start with a lightsaber but instead had to go on a pilgrimage to an elemental plane to find a focus crystal to craft one. The time you could survive such a quest is about the time the lightsaber wouldn't be a game-breaker anymore. The lightsaber did energy damage based on the plane the focus crystal came from (Fire, Cold, Acid, Lightning). Using force powers dealt non-lethal damage to the Jedi instead of costing Vitality and some of the powers were reworked to fit D&D's power scale. For example my ice-energy variant of force lightning whose damage actually increased with the skill's result instead of a static 3d6 whether you're level 1 or 20. Also darkside points were out, D&D has its own alignment system and attacking people with energy damage is hardly the paragon of evil in it.

The DM who passed it always had a lot of love for planes and planar politics so my character concept fit in much better than I had ever expected.

Jay R
2011-08-21, 09:48 AM
Well, it wasn't a game, but in a series of books I once read, the author re-fluffed a simple ring of invisibility in a children's book into the One Ring of Power which needed to be destroyed, requiring the heroes to take on a quest to a volcano in the heart of the evil realm over the course of a three-book epic to end the threat of the Dark Lord forever.

The author also re-fluffed a comic-relief gardener into a great warrior who could slay giant spiders and storm an orc fortress.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-08-21, 10:53 AM
Well, it wasn't a game, but in a series of books I once read, the author re-fluffed a simple ring of invisibility in a children's book into the One Ring of Power which needed to be destroyed, requiring the heroes to take on a quest to a volcano in the heart of the evil realm over the course of a three-book epic to end the threat of the Dark Lord forever.

The author also re-fluffed a comic-relief gardener into a great warrior who could slay giant spiders and storm an orc fortress.

Ah yes, I think that was one of the more ingenious ones. What's really amazing about it though is how he managed to pull that refluff off before D&D even existed. :smallwink:

SlashRunner
2011-08-21, 01:55 PM

Well played, good sir. Well played.

Malfunctioned
2011-08-21, 02:06 PM
I had a homebrew world that refluff most of the races.
My favourite were the elves and the gnomes.
The elves became hyperactive, agoraphobic, overly twitchty city-dwellers with a hair-trigger temper and no sense of personal space.

Gnomes required one small change to the stats, instead of talking to burrowing animals they talked to flying animals. They then lived in giant airborn fortresses that are built around lobotimised soarwhales. Large stores of food are grown in massive hydroponic farms built near the surfaces. Gnomes can spend their lives without leaving the safety of their fortress. Immense hangars store their flocks of Giant Eagles/Owls and Dire Bats which their scores of aerial paladins, fighters and rangers ride into battle.

Oh, and they all act like stereotyipcal WWI British fighter pilots. Along with referring to all Medium-sized races as "Biggles."

Dingle
2011-08-21, 05:52 PM

It was clearly the other way round: he looks like a gardener, but is prescisely as capable as a great warrior, and secretly statted as such.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-21, 05:55 PM

Don't forget the cloistered clerics who are called wizards!

Scarlet-Devil
2011-08-21, 06:16 PM
It was clearly the other way round: he looks like a gardener, but is prescisely as capable as a great warrior, and secretly statted as such.

Pretty much as a good character ought to be, I think. Basically this mysterious character we're talking about is a fighter with ranks in Profession: Cook and Profession: Gardener; after all, a fighter is first and foremost a person living in a world.

Drachasor
2011-08-21, 11:56 PM
Londo Calrissian.

Though, we actually haven't used him in a game yet.

Prime32
2011-08-22, 04:41 AM
Don't forget the cloistered clerics who are called wizards!Cloistered clerics with auras of courage and high combat skill who use holy swords and summon mounts? :smallconfused:

mint
2011-08-22, 07:40 AM
I HAVE A LIST!

Ardent -> Valkyrie fancy powers divine junk going on rather than psionics.
Factotum -> Android, inspiration points into CPU and Opportunistic Piety turned into necromantic countermeasures or healing nano-machines. Totally rad.
Steampunk elves adapt to technology and rock out with steam guns instead of bows.
Spiked Chain -> Battle Accordion.

Cloistered clerics with auras of courage and high combat skill who use holy swords and summon mounts? :smallconfused:

A wizard (of fantasy literature) did it!

Rannath
2011-08-22, 08:22 AM
All things begin with drunken debauchery.

Owlbears/Griffins? Created by drunken Wizard(s).
Humans? Created by drunk demon (Its semi unique, humans are of demonic origin, thus are treated like demons).
Elfs? Created by drunken Dwarves.
Dwarfs? Created by drunken Elfs.
Gods? created themselves in a drunken stupor.
Etc.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-08-22, 09:38 AM
I HAVE A LIST!

Ardent -> Valkyrie fancy powers divine junk going on rather than psionics.
Factotum -> Android, inspiration points into CPU and Opportunistic Piety turned into necromantic countermeasures or healing nano-machines. Totally rad.
Steampunk elves adapt to technology and rock out with steam guns instead of bows.
Spiked Chain -> Battle Accordion.

Hah! That last one really caught me by surprise :smallbiggrin:.

Coidzor
2011-08-22, 12:11 PM
Londo Calrissian.

Londo? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27B5Ja1KYMY#t=0m19s) Calrissian? (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Lando_Calrissian)

Pretty much as a good character ought to be, I think. Basically this mysterious character we're talking about is a fighter with ranks in Profession: Cook and Profession: Gardener; after all, a fighter is first and foremost a person living in a world.

But the cross-class skills! :smallyuk:

Drachasor
2011-08-22, 12:36 PM
Londo? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27B5Ja1KYMY#t=0m19s) Calrissian? (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Lando_Calrissian)

Indeed. It's Londo replacing Lando. The easiest way to picture it is imagining Londo saying "Han, you old smuggler!" It actually works on a ton of levels because Lando and Londo are very, very similar characters, including the sort of things they say (e.g. Londo too, has a deal that is getting worse all the time). They just look radically different and have very different inflections.

We have someone in our group who can do the voice really well. It's hilarious. Again, haven't had a chance to implement it in a game yet.

Prime32
2011-08-22, 01:17 PM
I once played a warforged psion (shaper), in the same party as a dragonborn warforged psychic warrior and an elan something-or-other.

The fluff was that he was a reclusive gnome artificer who had built a hidden mountain base filled with an army of constructs, as well as a suit of power armor he never took off (to the point where his true race was unknown). His constructs used less magic and more mechanism than most (he had no crafting feats, and purchased them rather than expending XP on construction), but required a strange crystal to function. His base contained an enormous but immobile crystal which powered the constructs within, and he could summon the constructs there to his side until their power reserves ran out (astral construct). He went out into the world looking for details on the constructs of ancient civilisations, or at least more crystals.

The psychic warrior PC was a construct he had equipped with its own crystal, making it independent. The elan was an ally of his who had become an aberration by replacing parts of his body with crystal to overcome the weakness of the flesh. The DM referred to the group as "The Children of Daedalus".

Silus
2011-08-22, 01:45 PM
Handmaiden Devil (Pathfinder) into a Dragon Age'esque Broodmother is, I think, the weirdest refluff I've considered.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-08-22, 04:50 PM
Eh, I'd say refluffing a dragon into a amoeba-like mass with psionic powers (that allow it to fly, for instance), would be weirder.

I must use this. :smallbiggrin:

My refluffs tend to be only partially refluffed, but they can get weird on occasion...

Had a Goblin OA Shaman (they have two actual spirit guides that each grant them a domain). One of his guides was Ruuka, the spirit of one of his former clansgoblins, supposedly high up, but never informing Riffraff (my character's name) exactly what he did. The other was Granite, a little pebble that he carried around in his pocket. Granite never communicated with Riffraff in any way, but it was Riffraff's favorite spirit guide. Unfortunately I never really got to play him really, the game died out before much happened.

I've had weirder, but that's all I can think of right now...

hiryuu
2011-08-22, 06:04 PM
I once had a player who was caught in a shipwreck and rescued by a force she called "The Kraken," and wandered the land with spectacular tentacular hair (http://thirdimpact.bandcamp.com/track/squid-girl) as its priest wrapped in anchor chains with a wedge anchor strapped to her back. Unfortunately, exposing people to the Kraken's Light caused some pretty bad effects, since most people (i.e. the living) weren't helped by it at all, suffering madness, a drain on their body, or worse, so converts were few. Though, when she showed it to undead, they immediately understood what it meant.

Azurin Dread Necromancer. Chain Shirt, Greataxe, Spiked Chain, Aberrant Feats, Tomb-Tainted Soul.

Other ones I've seen were a boy whose parents wished for a son to a fey king and were given one out of the rocks and trees (warforged; in fact, I've seen warforged used to represent a lot of stone people/homonculi/animated wand stick figures/etc.), mundane equipment turned into symbiotes (by doubling its "cost"), formians used to represent orcs and their natural corruption of the nearby landscape, and one of my favorites, a shapechanger druid tiefling with fiendish feats and the spontaneous spell variant to represent a woman with a connection to an eldritch horror (entangle made hands spring up from underground, the hunter form was a three-legged eyeless dog, etc.).

Also, every time I've seen the Shape Soulmeld feat it represents something else, from the necromantic energies someone naturally exudes to someone's satsui manifested as a literal weapon with which to cut people.

Oh, and while it's not a real refluff, I had a bard once in that same high seas campaign with the kraken girl who started playing Captain Dan riffs for his bardic music... this made me alter the campaign flavor to play up the "pirates with modern urban and gang culture" aspect. It was fun as hell. Especially because I got to name enemy groups like Band of the Bloody Slash (http://images.free-extras.com/pics/n/nike-705.jpg) and Three-Bladed Lotus (http://www.fulllogos.info/wp-content/uploads/Logo-adidas-2.jpg).

Arbane
2011-08-22, 07:16 PM
this made me alter the campaign flavor to play up the "pirates with modern urban and gang culture" aspect. It was fun as hell. Especially because I got to name enemy groups like Band of the Bloody Slash (http://images.free-extras.com/pics/n/nike-705.jpg) and Three-Bladed Lotus (http://www.fulllogos.info/wp-content/uploads/Logo-adidas-2.jpg).

Just so you know: If I ever play Exalted again, I will make sure Three-Bladed Lotus is a character. That's too good a name not to use.

Jay R
2011-08-22, 11:24 PM

Not in the first book. He clearly had no fighting skills when his adventures started. He developed them along the way. It's like the plucky comic relief becoming the party's strongest fighter, or Gilligan suddenly turning into a competent sailor.

Mikeavelli
2011-08-22, 11:49 PM
Having all griffen-like beasts ( owlbears, maticores,ect) to all be a result of the same magical accident.

In my world they're all the result of the same Wizard, and he did it intentionally. This was before he went crazy, too.

Drachasor
2011-08-22, 11:51 PM
In my world they're all the result of the same Wizard, and he did it intentionally. This was before he went crazy, too.

Obviously, after you go mad you start making Cthulu-beasts and combining foods in ways that should best be left unsaid. Err, some of that could also happen if you are pregnant.

Mikeavelli
2011-08-22, 11:55 PM
Obviously, after you go mad you start making Cthulu-beasts and combining foods in ways that should best be left unsaid. Err, some of that could also happen if you are pregnant.

He did, in fact, start cross-breeding Aboleths. It went downhill from there.

DiBastet
2011-08-23, 01:13 PM
Elf-Like Fey (like nymphs and ragewalkers, and some little other) + Eladrin + Azata (pathfinder) are all fey, instead of outsider. They are the Sidhe hosts, the nobles of the Fey.

Angels (together with protectar) are servants of all gods, and so come in different shapes and aligments.

Daemons (pathfinder) all have humanoide appearances and are the fallen angels, angels who don't bow to manking and turned from the gods, in order to cause pain and suffering to the dirty humanoids.

Color does not define dragon aligment. Yay, killing gold dragons.

Most giants, humanoids, aberrations and magical beasts that I don't REALLY want to put in my setting / are too random / may be even cool, but there's another creature that has the same niche / whatever, gain a dragonblood subtype, appearance similar to some kind of dragon, and become Draconic Spawn (we dont have tiamat).

Oh, and Yuan-ti are created by the sarrukh, so there's a LOT of diversity: All basic yuan-ti have the "classical yuan-ti body" of the abominations (with tail instead of legs and snake head), and use the half-blood statistics + any template I care to add, with anything, really anything: Fire breath + resistance to fire / winged / frost breath and fur / whatever. The sarrukh created dozens of dozens of specialized races.

And those yuan-ti thinglings from SoX are born from a mammal woman, when yuan-ti corrupt the baby in the womb and it splits into 6 small snakelings that run for the nearest yuan-ti when born, then later grow arms. Very deformed (http://diegobastet.deviantart.com/art/Samira-x-Yuan-Ti-115548468), dumb, in eternal pain, and used as cannon fodder.

hiryuu
2011-08-23, 01:19 PM
Just so you know: If I ever play Exalted again, I will make sure Three-Bladed Lotus is a character. That's too good a name not to use.

Behold your next character.

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv115/gaias_hiccup/thebattle.jpg

You need perform skills. They have perform skills, right?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-23, 01:23 PM
Elf-Like Fey (like nymphs and ragewalkers, and some little other) + Eladrin + Azata (pathfinder) are all fey, instead of outsider. They are the Sidhe hosts, the nobles of the Fey.

Angels (together with protectar) are servants of all gods, and so come in different shapes and aligments.

Color does not define dragon aligment. Yay, killing gold dragons.

How are these strange? It looks like you just took a leaf out of 4e.

Drachasor
2011-08-23, 01:30 PM
Hmm, in a 4E game I took alligators (or maybe it was crocs) and used them for giant ants (might of made a modification or two).

I believe I took wolves and turned them into monkey-things in an Arcana Unearthed game. I was mean and gave them improved trip too. My group liked combat that made them have to change their tactics. The giant decided to just stay on the ground and take the penalties -- the PCs were tough enough to handle that.

Hmm, these aren't that strange though.

Dragonsoul
2011-08-23, 02:14 PM
melee Warlock---> Jedi

Eldritch Glaive--> Lightsaber
Repelling Blast--> Force Push
Charm-->"These aren't the droids elves your looking for"

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-23, 02:16 PM
melee Warlock---> Jedi

Warforged Warlock w/ adamantine body: B2 Super Battle Droid.

hiryuu
2011-08-23, 07:55 PM
melee Warlock---> Jedi

Suggestion, Psionic. "These aren't the druids you're looking for."

True story.

DiBastet
2011-08-23, 08:02 PM
How are these strange? It looks like you just took a leaf out of 4e.

Really? :smallconfused:

Oh...

Then 4e may not be THAT HORRIBLY BAD.:smallamused:

Yora
2011-08-24, 02:48 AM
Not in the first book. He clearly had no fighting skills when his adventures started. He developed them along the way. It's like the plucky comic relief becoming the party's strongest fighter, or Gilligan suddenly turning into a competent sailor.
It helps that seven of the nine party members leave the party.

I also assumed that the gods put a divine power spell on him during the spider and tower chapters.

big teej
2011-08-24, 07:54 AM
I don't know if this qualifies for 'strange' but...

I just helped a player from my summer group create a Big Daddy ala Bioshock

Refluffing a warforged with adamantie body + the homebrew "warforged features" powerful build. and a short-hafted fleshgrinding harpoon for a drill.

Master_Rahl22
2011-08-24, 10:30 AM
In 4E, a Warforged Druid => Transformer. (It's possible to build a Druid that is only ever in their Beast Form when in combat, so...)

Kobold-Bard
2011-08-24, 10:35 AM
Warforged Binder.

The Vestiges were CD's he found in a ruin & inserting them gave him the powers. They needed to be decoded, hence why he couldn't use the Level 8 ones right off.

AmberVael
2011-08-24, 10:50 AM
Incarnum, I find, is a very fun system to refluff. I almost never use the default fluff, but the mechanics are nifty and provide many fun opportunities for refluffing.

As such, I've turned a human totemist into a man possessed by a demon. The unfortunate man had had his own soul devoured by a demon, and then replaced by said demon, who was in fact my character. Rather than stupid blue equipment made out of 'soul energy' (whatever THAT is), the demon would overlay his stolen human body with his true form, creating wings, claws, or any other ability he currently needed.

In my homebrew setting, I've also refluffed incarnum. Incarnates and Totemists are the necromancers, who can pass between the realms of life and death, albeit temporarily. While in the underworld, they may seek out their ancestors, and the souls of the long dead heroes and request boons of them, bringing their legendary relics and symbols of their past abilities into the living world for a time.

One of my favorite, small refluffs however is that I had a gestalt character take the Vestigial Twin 'template' from the DMG II. It's normally reserved for NPCs only, costs +5 LA, and gives you an extra, limited standard action. Mechanically (at least in Gestalt) it's pretty awesome, but I had absolutely no interest in playing a character with a deformed person hanging off of them (for some reason). The character in question was a shaman of sorts, specifically skilled with shadows and illusions, so I pulled up a bit of voodoo/hoodoo lore, and said that it wasn't a vestigial twin, but their own animated shadow, semi autonomous but inextricably bound to them

DiBastet
2011-08-24, 08:12 PM
Warforged Binder.

The Vestiges were CD's he found in a ruin & inserting them gave him the powers. They needed to be decoded, hence why he couldn't use the Level 8 ones right off.

That's my concept for the next Silly Adventure that I play. Really.

GoatBoy
2011-08-24, 08:16 PM
My Warforged druid didn't have Wild Shape...

He had BEAST MODE!!!

GoatBoy
2011-08-24, 08:17 PM
In 4E, a Warforged Druid => Transformer. (It's possible to build a Druid that is only ever in their Beast Form when in combat, so...)

I swear I did not read this before I posted.

Coidzor
2011-08-24, 08:53 PM
One of my favorite, small refluffs however is that I had a gestalt character take the Vestigial Twin 'template' from the DMG II. It's normally reserved for NPCs only, costs +5 LA, and gives you an extra, limited standard action. Mechanically (at least in Gestalt) it's pretty awesome, but I had absolutely no interest in playing a character with a deformed person hanging off of them (for some reason). The character in question was a shaman of sorts, specifically skilled with shadows and illusions, so I pulled up a bit of voodoo/hoodoo lore, and said that it wasn't a vestigial twin, but their own animated shadow, semi autonomous but inextricably bound to them

Now that. That I like. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw) :smallbiggrin:

VeliciaL
2011-08-24, 11:49 PM
I think my favorite refluff comes from this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195099). The basic gist is to give all the various fantasy races evolutionary connections. Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes, Halflings, Humans, and Orcs all shared a hominid ancestry (which explains why humans can interbreed with pretty much all of them). Goblinoids are races of intelligent monkeys. And the like.

I was going to use the ideas for my own low-magic setting, which I never really fleshed out. It's still rattling around in my head a bit.

Lyndworm
2011-08-25, 02:15 AM
Velicia, this site doesn't have a smiley happy enough to express my joy right now. :smallredface: I hope your setting gets fleshed out, I'd love to see what you do with it.

I've refluffed an elemental-templated mammoth into a huge primordial beast.

I want to refluff a warforged warlock into a golem-like creature infused with magical powers upon creation.

I've refluffed a lot of things, actually, but none come to mind. I'm a huge fan of refluffing, but I can't think of enough to really make a post for you guys. Sorry about that.

VeliciaL
2011-08-25, 04:29 AM
Velicia, this site doesn't have a smiley happy enough to express my joy right now. :smallredface: I hope your setting gets fleshed out, I'd love to see what you do with it.

D'awww you flatter me :smallredface: I might try to get all my thoughts together. Nothing too mind boggling I think, but it sounds kinda neat in my mind at least.

I've refluffed a lot of things, actually, but none come to mind. I'm a huge fan of refluffing, but I can't think of enough to really make a post for you guys. Sorry about that.

I like to refluff too. I generally prefer to think up my own settings than use book settings, overall.

DiBastet
2011-08-25, 07:50 AM

That's it. +1

Dimers
2011-08-25, 09:01 AM
I've done crazy refluffing with equipment, not as much for characters. My weirdest was when I played up the 'fey' aspect of 3.5 warlocks. Old human woman, wild hair, crazy colorful clothes, occasional sprays of glitter or lightning in the air around her ... she was exalted (CG of course) and also took levels in paladin of freedom and eldritch knight. Had a coure eladrin familiar!

Weird Word = baleful utterance
Colorwings = fell flight
Eye-Twist = walk unseen
Nymph Charm = charm
Strange Sending = warlock's call

Kobold-Bard
2011-08-25, 09:06 AM
Probably already been mentioned, but Soulmelds as tattoos (a la Tattooed Monk) rather than glowing bits of gear is one I really like (I forget who I first saw mention it).

Truenaming being similar to Sorcery, except instead of a Dragon etc. Truenamers have a Deity somewhere way back in their family tree. Hence when they give the universe orders, it listens.

bokodasu
2011-08-25, 10:05 AM
My DM knows that half of us know the MM backwards and forwards, so he likes to change things up a bit. My favorite of all time is the brachiating basilisk with the 60' move. ("You hear crashing from the forest canopy..." "We look up, trying to pinpoint the source!")

DDogwood
2011-08-25, 10:17 AM

I don't know if he CLEARLY had no fighting skills - we never saw him fighting. But obviously he picked up a lot of Fighter levels on the way; easy, when you think about all the XP he must have received from fighting Wargs, goblins, trolls, a Balrog Balor, and so on.

Jayh
2011-08-26, 12:15 PM
I ran a steampunk techpriest warlock once. His detect magic were sensors, etc.

TheThan
2011-08-26, 05:20 PM
I refluffed a warforged druid (shape change variant) into a battle droid with a variety of “combat modes”. He had “stalker mode”, “dreadnought mode”, “flight mode” etc. he also used summon nature’s ally to launch drones.

Lets see, I refluffed gnomes into jungle dwelling pygmies, complete with grass skirts and coconut bras. I’ve had a bunch of others but I can’t recall them all.

I also refluffed Elans (not him ( http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0238.html) ) as time traveling planeswalkers who are preparing the world for the invasion of the far realms. which has already happened according to their memory, they just went back in time to prepare everyone for a huge inter-plane war.