PDA

View Full Version : Oots Computer game

Handsome Goblin
2011-08-24, 01:09 PM
Wouldn't that be sweet if there was a Flash Game for Order of the stick ! Just a thought maybe discuss some ideas for it if it ever was made? :smallbiggrin:

super dark33
2011-08-24, 02:51 PM
there was a thread like this before...

a castle crashers type would fit best.

ArcaneSaint
2011-08-25, 04:55 PM
I made a mount&blade module about OOTS (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=187369.msg4485266#msg4485266) about a month ago (yeah, the GiantITP thread is down, though I can't remove the TW thread without losing "released mod" status). Although I took it off now because it wasn't entirely clear if it constituted a copyright infringement or not (because of the whole, you know, OotS-verse setting). I'm currently communicating with the Giant in hopes of getting permission to use his Intellectual Property, and I'm awaiting his response. So for the moment you can't download it, repository link is offline, though it has already been downloaded 270 times, so if you're really desperate, you'll have to ask around. Though I don't think that would technically be legal, so it's better to just wait untill everything clears up. This could take a while though, the Giant's a busy man and still has a life of his own besides OotS (how dare he!:smallwink:).

With some luck, you can soon walk around in OotS-World and punch Xykon in the face (not advisable)!

Phishfood
2011-08-26, 04:55 AM
Reskin Neverwinter Nights :)

All the D&D mechanics are in there, just need to add some plot armour and such.

Handsome Goblin
2011-08-26, 07:35 AM
That would be a great Idea ArcaneSaint, :smallbiggrin: !!Good luck!!

ArcaneSaint
2011-08-26, 11:28 AM
't is not an idea, 't is a reality. Though unavailable for the moment. But I'm just putting it out here to tell all aspiring M&B modders that an OotS-project already exists, and that we're always looking for new talent! Although no release can be made until we've got the Giant's permission, work on the modules scripts and stuff can still continue.

@Phishfood: I once started a neverwinter nights 2 OotS-project, though it was more of a prologue/experiment. The antagonists were Zykon and Bluecloak, I have three areas drawn out on paper (village, "random" encounter, goblin warcamp), one of them is quite finished, but I switched to the M&B project halfway through as I thought that would be more interesting. It included a "missed spot check" and a mysterious house with only three walls in the village (for a planned side-quest: "Repair/Find the Fourth Wall").
As I said, it was an experimental foray into NVN2 modding, so it was quite silly. If I can't get permission for the M&B project I might get back to the NVN2 one, which is actually more of a parody and not in the same universe. Or if/when the M&B module is completely finished I might get back to NVN2 modding as well.

pendell
2011-08-26, 12:10 PM
I once started to create a nethack tileset using OOTS figures, but I stopped when I realized that this would be an infringement of Rich's copyright and he would be unlikely to grant those rights for a freeware game of limited appeal.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

hobbitkniver
2011-08-28, 12:25 AM

Reskin? NWN2 Allows you to make your own dungeons and campaigns for others to play, they can be a lot of fun if made by a decent person, though I think it's impossible to dictate what the starter character is, and you'd have to adjust difficulty a lot because max party size is usually 4.

Prowl
2011-08-28, 02:10 AM
I can't be the only one who has styled CRPG groups after the Order...

TheMac04
2011-08-28, 02:43 AM
Okay, so ROM Hacking the original Final Fantasy to be about OotS would be EXTREMELY cool...

Raistlin82
2011-08-28, 05:49 AM

Okay, so ROM Hacking the original Final Fantasy to be about OotS would be EXTREMELY cool...

Both ideas look cool.
Both have small issues, however. Starting with the protagonist selection and number.

However, there is a series of D&D 3.0/3.5 based games that (unmodded) lets you make up to 6 characters, and give them customized character portraits. You could do the Order of the Stick without modding anything.
And yes, they've been pretty much modded to death. It turns out to be very doable.

I'm talking about the (goblin-heavy and lich-heavy) Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate games.

TheMac04
2011-08-28, 02:30 PM
Both ideas look cool.
Both have small issues, however. Starting with the protagonist selection and number.

However, there is a series of D&D 3.0/3.5 based games that (unmodded) lets you make up to 6 characters, and give them customized character portraits. You could do the Order of the Stick without modding anything.
And yes, they've been pretty much modded to death. It turns out to be very doable.

I'm talking about the (goblin-heavy and lich-heavy) Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate games.

I'd argue that hackers are insane, and probably COULD make it so that you could run six characters in FFI, but it's not really a big deal. But man, have you SEEN what they've done to Pokemon? It's just not right!

ArcaneSaint
2011-09-14, 07:03 AM
Just letting you guys know that the mod is up again. It's called "Mount & Stick", there's a forum thread at Taleworlds and and Giantitp (Gaming other). Give it a try, and if you like it, leave some feedback.

The Succubus
2011-09-14, 10:17 AM
Slightly off topic, what ruleset does Icewind Dale use? I tried playing BG II but couldn't get my head around the 2nd edition stuff.

Talesin
2011-09-14, 12:09 PM
I remember there was a run through done on Baldur's Gate II as the order of the stick. I hadn't heard of the comic at the time so didn't pay too much attention to it over on the bioware forums. Sadly the forum has long since lost the post..

Hamiltonz
2011-09-14, 02:24 PM
I've been working on this for over a year now.

I have all the graphics done. I had to downscale everything to 25% of what I wanted due to the 2gig barrier that 32 bits create. I've since upgraded to a 64 OS with 64 bit tools. I'm in the process of upscaling all the graphics back.

I originally used scans of all of the cards but now I'm using vector graphics. I'm about halfway to converting all of the graphical contect to vector.

This has been a two person project from the beginning and I just lost the other half of my team to a new job (congrats Signus!).

The game plays like a card game. You can grab images and move them just like cards. Currently the layout is fixed but I plan to provide a configuration screen where the user can create their own personal layout that matches what they would use with the real cards. Also planned is a web server that allows players to view their private cards on a smart phone or web capable touchpab.

All the machanical parts are working, I just lost interest. Actually I read a slashdot article on Dwarf Fortress and lost two months to that game. On top of that lossing the graphics team and the fact that even if I make a professional quality game Rich has no obligation to authorize it's distribution. I made this game for the sole purpose of playing on my 52 inch TV with my friends. It's always nice to dream about letting everyone play it, but I respect Rich and he (and Kevin) would have the final say on if my project ever gets released to the public.

This is a screen capture of the move example from page 9 of the manual. It also shows the default card layout. You'll also notice that there are no menus, that is by design. The buttons on the upper left corner are for debug purposes only. They will not be in the final version of the game.
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/315686_1783356043825_1837219140_1253013_151678986_ n.jpg

Dalek-K
2011-09-14, 08:27 PM
What would be great is if you made a parody of OoTS as a game... SO your game would be a parody of a parody ...

Though I would like to see a decent game set up in 2e rules. I've tried a few old games but didn't really like them.

ArcaneSaint
2011-09-15, 05:03 PM
@Hamiltonz:
That looks awesome. I really hope you can release it, though I suppose the fact that you are using art directly from the comic might pose a problem though :smallfrown:. It might still be worth a try anyhow.

And even if that isn't possible, perhaps you could change the artwork and make it a completely unique and independent game? Or you could release the mechanics, some placeholder art and the tools for people to create custom art and such. Perhaps even custom cards though that might be a bit harder to implement.