PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Inkscape

Thormag
2011-08-25, 02:56 PM
My Google-Fu has failed me.

I tried looking for a solution for my problem (seen below) but so far, I have found nothing and I am about to break my computer with my bare fists, slam it against the wall and cry myself to sleep. So you'll understand that I'm a little desperate for help right now. :smallfrown:

So the problem is this:

I've been drawing with Inkscape for quite a while now, and none of my previous creations have failed to load, but this one for some reason is. Last date of modification: yesterday. Yes, I was drawing on this file yesterday, and the only thing that I remember doing between yesterday when I closed (and saved) the file and now, is that I deleted the images I embedded on the file (some .jpgs and .pngs).

Everytime I try to open the file the following message appears:

"Failed to load the requested file X:\XX\XXX\XXXX\XXXX XX.svg"

Before that another message appeared:

"The preferences file X:\XXXX\XXXX\XXXX\XXX\preferences.xml is not a valid XML document."

But I changed the name of the file and that solved that little problem.

But I still cannot open my stupid file!

And it's the only one that I can't open. All the rest open normally.

It has two layers (one for each character that I'm working on), one of them has four or five images embedded.

Please, if anyone has any idea on how to help me, I'll be willing to sacrifice some of my internets to him/her.

Thank you.

Crimmy
2011-08-25, 03:35 PM
Sadly, it might be file corruption.
http://www.inkscapeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5909
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=567045

Meaning it's lost forever.

Now, there might be some way of getting around that, but I don't really know, I don't have the Inkscape-fu other avatarists have.

Zorg
2011-08-25, 03:36 PM
Well I don't know Inkscape, but if you had images embedded and then deleted the source that's likely your problem.
I had the same thing happen to me in a Word doc when I moved an image to another folder. You could try restoring the images or substituting other files in the same place with the same names.

Another idea would be to create a junk file with embedded images, delete them in the same way and see if it recreates the problem - if it does there you are, if not it's something else.

Thormag
2011-08-25, 03:54 PM
Sadly, it might be file corruption.
http://www.inkscapeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5909
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=567045

Meaning it's lost forever.

Now, there might be some way of getting around that, but I don't really know, I don't have the Inkscape-fu other avatarists have.

I really, really, really hope It's not file corruption (although all signs seem to point there), because that would kill me.

I was working on a really complicated avatar that I have no interest in starting it over. :smallfrown:

Emperor Ing
2011-08-25, 04:40 PM
If your file size isn't enormous, you can open the file in Notepad. Typically, corrupt files frequently break closing tags. Open an SVG in Notepad you KNOW has no problems, and copy-paste the end tags into the end of the corrupt file. Try opening your SVG then.
If you can open the file, you may or may not note that about 15% of your content is gone. This is normal. Your file is still corrupt though. The easiest way to fix this is to open a new SVG file, keeping your corrupt file open. Copy-paste your content from your corrupt file into the new one.
Bam! Problem solved instantly! Best part is that file size will decrease by one half! I would rename it like you named your formerly corrupt file to overwrite it.

For the Preferences issue, open your Inkscape folder, and look for the Preferences.XML folder. Delete it. When you open Inkscape, Inkscape will automatically create a new one. Your preferences will be reset, but...it's better than changing your preferences every time Inkscape opens.

Thormag
2011-08-25, 09:01 PM
If your file size isn't enormous, you can open the file in Notepad. Typically, corrupt files frequently break closing tags. Open an SVG in Notepad you KNOW has no problems, and copy-paste the end tags into the end of the corrupt file. Try opening your SVG then.
If you can open the file, you may or may not note that about 15% of your content is gone. This is normal. Your file is still corrupt though. The easiest way to fix this is to open a new SVG file, keeping your corrupt file open. Copy-paste your content from your corrupt file into the new one.
Bam! Problem solved instantly! Best part is that file size will decrease by one half! I would rename it like you named your formerly corrupt file to overwrite it.

For the Preferences issue, open your Inkscape folder, and look for the Preferences.XML folder. Delete it. When you open Inkscape, Inkscape will automatically create a new one. Your preferences will be reset, but...it's better than changing your preferences every time Inkscape opens.

So I tried that and I failed miserably. Maybe I'm not doing it right. :smallfrown:

Can I upload the file to the internetz and send it to you via PM?

Crimmy
2011-08-25, 09:16 PM
Alternatively, change to MS Paint and make awesomeness there.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-08-25, 09:22 PM
I lost my preferences a while back, and now I have to reset them every time I make a new comic...:smallfrown:

Thormag
2011-08-25, 10:22 PM
Alternatively, change to MS Paint and make awesomeness there.

Yeah, but I'll still lose all I did. I'm trying to undo that.

EDIT: So I managed to salvage what I could of the file.

I'm missing almost 50% of it. But I guess that's better than to start from scratch.

Thanks to everyone. :smallsmile:

Emperor Ing
2011-08-26, 10:36 PM
So I tried that and I failed miserably. Maybe I'm not doing it right. :smallfrown:

Can you open it in Notepad? If you can scroll to the bottom without crashing it's a good sign.

shawnhcorey
2011-08-27, 04:06 PM

I'm willing to take a look at it but I can't promise you anything. It may be beyond repair. :smallfrown:

Thormag
2011-08-28, 07:25 PM
Yeah, but I'll still lose all I did. I'm trying to undo that.

EDIT: So I managed to salvage what I could of the file.

I'm missing almost 50% of it. But I guess that's better than to start from scratch.

Thanks to everyone. :smallsmile:

I repeat, everything's fine now. No need to reply to this thread anymore, you can let it die or let a mod lock it.

Thank you Playground.

averagejoe
2011-09-01, 10:47 PM
The Mod They Call Me: Asked and answered.