PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewed Idea for a meta breath user focused on dragons

NullShadow
2011-08-28, 07:36 PM
Dragonheart Devotee:

Weather they stumble upon the sight, or subjected to it, the experience of witnessing an awe-inspiring dragon wielding its breath weapon has stirred something in you, causing you to change your view of the elemental powers completely
A Dragonheart Devotee borderline worships the power that dragons posses, if not the dragons themselves. Though invariably those that follow this path become more dragon-like than even those more closely related to dragons.

{table=head]|Level|Base attack bonus||Fort save| Ref save| Will save| Special|
|1|+0||+2|+0|+2|Metabreath, Breath weapon(stuttering)1d4|
|2|+1||+3|+0|+3|Metabreath, Breath weapon(True)2d6|
|3|+2||+3|+1|+3|Innate Recover breath(Ex)|
|4|+3||+4|+1|+4|Metabreath, Breath weapon(True)2d6|
|5|+3||+4|+1|+4|
|6|+4||+5|+2|+5|Metabreath, Breath weapon(True)3d6|
|7|+5||+5|+2|+5|
|8|+6/+1||+6|+2|+6|Metabreath,Breath weapon(True)4d6|
|9|+6/+1||+6|+3|+6|
|10|+7/+2||+7|+3|+7|Metabreath, Breath weapon(True)5d6|
|11|+8/+3||+7|+3|+7|
|12|+9/+4||+8|+4|+8|Metabreath, Breath weapon(True)6d6|
|13|+9/+4||+8|+4|+8|
|14|+10/+5||+9|+4|+9|Metabreath, Breath weapon(True)7d8|
|15|+11/+6+1||+9|+5|+9|
|16|+12/+7/+2||+10|+5|+10|Metabreath, Breath weapon(True)8d6|
|17|+12/+7/+2||+10|+5|+10|
|18|+13/+8/+3||+11|+6|+11|Metabreath, Breath weapon(True)9d6|
|19|+14/+9/+4||+11|+6|+11|
|20|+15/+10/+5||+12|+6|+12|Metabreath, Breath weapon(True)10d8|[/table]

Breath Weapon(Su): Treat this ability as you would a standard breath weapon, except in the following ways: This can be used every 1d4 rounds this reduces to every 1d4-1 rounds at levels 7,9, and 13.

Ok, this is what I have for an idea so far. imho I think it is decent for a rough draft of a framework of a class, but now I need help filling it out.!

Owrtho
2011-08-28, 08:26 PM
Breath weapon needs a better description. It should state if it's a line or a cone, saves, as well as the type of damage dealt or effects. It should state the damage dealt, and the rate at which it improves as well rather than relying on the table for that. The reduction of rounds waited should be stated more along the lines of "At levels 7, 9, and 13 the rate at which recovers the breath weapon recovers improves reducing the number of rounds one must wait by 1 (to a minimum of 0).

Possible ways to fill out dead levels would be allowing the character to vary their selection of breath weapons (such as gaining new damage types and effects paired with line or cone). Seeing as the class relies on breath weapons, and improving them at the cost of longer cool downs, possibly allow each breath weapon they gain to have it's own cool down.

You should specify what Innate Recover breath does. You also should clarify what the stuttering and true by the breath weapons on the table mean.

Hope this helps

Owrtho

Igneel
2011-08-29, 02:10 AM
Soo.... What? Its basically Dragonfire Adept with Metabreath Steroids?

-Guessing that you get to start off with a basic breath weapon like DfA [Fire damage] that deals 1d6 to start with, but like a Dragon Shaman has a recharge.
-By the amount of 'Metabreath's you have throughout the levels I'm guessing that they act as 'bonus feats' or class abilities that duplicate/grant metabreath feats.
-Innate Recover Breath? Like the feat/s [Recover Breath from Draconomicon, Quicken SLA/Rapid Breath from Savage Species?]
-What's with all of this "(True)" business?
-Now assuming you didn't already have plans to include alternate breath energies, I would suggest adding that. Players seem to enjoy having at least 2 different energy type damages to use throughout their adventuring career.
-Going to add special breaths like the DfA's Fivefold Tiamat, or even my own Wyrmfire Adept's 'Flee through Flames' or 'Chimeric Breath' invocations?
-Is the breath weapon the only thing your specializing in? Cause a Anti-magic Ray [Spell Compendium] makes you next to useless if your affected by it. Even 'one-trick ponies' like Rangers or Barbarians could fall back on melee or ranged attacks if push comes to shove.
-Agreeing with Owrtho on better descriptions. Dragonfire Adept/Dragon Shaman has a good example of how to write it out for breath weapons for example, which is how I wrote mine.

More questions then advice or answers it seems tonight, but I hope to help this grow more since I do love my Dragon characters and enjoy the concept. Even though I see this more as a PrC then anything else imho.

-Good luck, keep up the work,
Igneel

Morph Bark
2011-08-29, 04:02 AM
As written, the breath weapon can be used every 1d4-1 rounds at levels 7, 9, and 13 and every 1d4 rounds at other levels.

Whoops?

NullShadow
2011-08-29, 08:58 PM
Good points, I will continue working on a physical draft on paper and update this post when I can. For the moment though I am quite exhausted. (cleaning up after the hurricane) Thanks for the input!