PDA

View Full Version : Contra Magica IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Bhaakon
2011-08-28, 11:50 PM
It's been a long winter in Tieup, but the Spring thaw has finally begun in earnest. The last of the sea ice has cleared from the town's little protected cove, allowing the fishing fleet to ply their trade once again, and the year's first overland trading caravan has trundled into town along the muddy rut-tracks running north to Laern.

It's a good thing for you, because funds are running low, and there's not much work to be found in an ice-bound fishing village.Four months of sitting around the boarding house staring at one another, occasionally fighting chest-high drifts of snow to reach the nearest tavern, have driven you all a little mad (or madder, in some cases), and you couldn't jump fast enough at the first opportunity for real coin since the first snow.

The job is simple in conception, if not execution: the town's few shepherds and ranchers are preparing to move their animals out of winter lodgings in hay-filled barns and into the newly uncovered fields. A bounty's been offered on whatever predators--wolves, cougars, goblins, and the like--have taken up residence around those fields over the Winter. Ten gold for every right ear should cover your expenses for a month or more, and, as an added bonus, you get to work alone. With your secrets, that's almost a job requirement.

At least that's what you keep telling yourself, as you sit around a dawn camp fire that does precious little to cut through the still-rather-wintery chill. A representative of the herders lead you out here yesterday to your assigned area, one of a dozen others like it in the sparsely forested hills surrounding Tieup, and left you with a small sack. "Don't come back to town until it's full, there's a prize for the group with the most bounties," he said, grinning as he rounded his shaggy horse and rode back home to his warm bed. After a frozen night in the wilderness, the hunt is on.

TurtleKing
2011-08-29, 12:27 AM
Brrr. Stupid Cold. Least won't go thirsty. I hope something jumps out. Brrr. Give me something to do.

Skittles pulls out his Horsechopper and examines the blade. After that stands up and walks around keeping an eye out.

1d20+6 [18] Yea a Perception check silly me.

Bhaakon
2011-08-29, 12:44 AM
@skittles
I'm going to assume that was a perception check: a wisp of smoke mars the Eastern horizon, emanating from behind a low wooded ridge.

Frosty
2011-08-29, 01:13 AM
"Killing wolves and other predators are fine. Their pelts make decent clothing and armor in addition to the rewards we were promised. I hope we do not run into any goblin tribes however. Do we know whether these fields are lawfully owned by Tieup? If not, then they have no right to kick out others who have made this land their home, goblin or not. If so, we should try to talk the goblins into leaving peacefully."

Abigail's greatsword is currently sheathed as she fiddles with the holy symbol on the necklace she is wearing.

stack
2011-08-29, 07:19 AM
Bors Oakstaff

"Never heard o' goblins being to keen on talking when they want to raid. Or respectin' borders either." The massive man stretches atop his even larger mount. The rider is covered is battered metal scales, his beard in a coarse braid and his hair tied back with a bit of leather.

However it is his mount that draws the eye, making its huge rider seem unremarkable. Under the saddle is a bear, unusually light fur, a honey-gold more than brown, at least what shows from under the rough-stiched hides that form it's armor. Both wear slightly bored expression.

Bors leans down and scratches Honey on the neck, "Keep yer eyes peeled. Canna afford yer drinkin' if we dunna get some bounties. Or mine. Mead's not growin' on trees."

Odd crew I've been thrown in with. Lass seems like good folk, though Honey seems a bit off around her. The two men are seem fine. The hairy rat-thing...well I shouldn't be criticizing anyone for being a bit furry, but still makes my skin crawl. And a kobold! How that happened...figured the only kobold I'd see would be on the other end of this hunt. Strange world. Still, nothing against him long as he pulls his weight.

He hefts his hammer and surveys the landscape.

Human smell, human smell, sewer smell, lizard smell, dead smell. Dead smell moving. Not right. Other smells? The large nose raises, testing the air.

to find/track predators:
Bors survival [roll0]
Honey survival [roll1] w/ scent

perception:
Bors [roll2]
Honey [roll3]

Bhaakon
2011-08-29, 09:22 AM
@stack
You spot a thin wisp of smoke over a lightly forested ridge to the east, but no tracks in your immediate area. Honey doesn't notice anything.

Tyrael
2011-08-29, 09:28 AM
A diminutive little Kobold trots alongside the group, his long jaws opening wide in a yawn as he tried to resist the energy-sapping chill that slows his cold blood. The little reptile's scales are a bright blue, and he wears a wide-brimmed hat that actually hides most of his features from view due to his short stature. A crimson scarf is wrapped around his neck and flaps in the cold breeze, and a black vest is laid on top of dull brown leather armor. A baldric is slung from shoulder to hip, carrying both a longsword at his waist and an odd device that looks like a truncated crossbow slung across his chest. From time to time, a small green lizard pokes its head out of his backpack and tastes the chilly air with its tongue.

Saren yawns again, shaking himself to stay awake. "Saren's better suited to hunting down bandits'n'outlaws than foxes'n'coyotes," he grumbles. "Give us a holler if that big bear scents anything."

stack
2011-08-29, 09:43 AM
"There's a spot of smoke over there," pointing East a the wooded ridge with his hammer, "Say we head over and look?"

(mentally singing) If you go out in the woods today...

Tyrael
2011-08-29, 10:15 AM
Saren dutifully trots over towards the smoke.

Frosty
2011-08-29, 11:40 AM
The pale woman observe the close relationship between man and beast, and feels a twinge of sad jealousy. Even animals now reject Abigail, as one time she tried approaching Honey, but the bear prompty turned away and walked away. Abigail has kept a respectful distance since. "Goblins are hateful and fearful creatures. Even if they won't talk, perhaps they canbe intimidated to run away off these lands. The important part is that we try, or we are no better than the likes of them.

Despite any chill winds, Abigail seems not to be bothered by the cold or any temperature. No matter what the weather is like, Abigail almost always insist on covering her skin from neck to toe, and today is no different . Her gleaming (how does this woman have enough time to always keep her armor spot-less) scale male fitting snugly over her tight red clothing underneath, and returns her holy symbol to between the valleys of her chest.

"Whatever we must do to survive, we shall do, Saren. We shall also conduct our business with honor. Let us see what that smoke is, shall we?" She gets up and walks after Saren.

stack
2011-08-29, 12:12 PM
Replying to Abigail regarding the goblins, "If we can do it without blood, all the better. Not that we even know there is any gobbo's here. Something is makin' that smoke though."

He knees Honey gently to keep up with the others.

Frosty
2011-08-29, 12:54 PM
"We won't get the bounty per ear, but we may be able to negotatie for a reward anyways if we actually make any globlins leave."

TurtleKing
2011-08-29, 01:42 PM
Hmph. Only way they can recieve a peaceful ending from me is to outrun my bolts. If any are a caster though all bets are off. Skittles follows along stowing away his Horsechopper. He then pulls out his Heavy Crossbow and loads it. Keeping to the rear of this little band.

Kon Lesh
2011-08-29, 04:41 PM
"What loud people. How did I every find people like this." Lyle whispers to himself. He is currently sitting down with his back against a large pine tree. You can almost swear that Lyle is ignoring everyone on purpose. But upon hearing of the smoke, he quickly raises his eyes to the sky and gives a small smile half smile. He pushes himself up and brushes the wet pine needles off of his armor and pants. He walks slightly to the right side of the group, his shield out and on his arm. You can see his ax still attached to his belt.

"You are joking, aren't you girl. Talk...to...goblins. I might not know much, but I have always seen them react better to a weapon than words any day. In which I mean that if you speak they attack. But if you have a weapon they might not be that stupid. And that is the same for most things out in the woods, be it human, goblin, or creature."

Bhaakon
2011-08-29, 06:20 PM
It take a good chunk of the morning to climb the ridge between your camp and the smoke, but the exercise helps thaw out your joints. As you reach the top, you spot a large tent and a dying fire in a sheltered clearing below. There's enough firewood and other detritus around the camp to suggest that it's been here for some time.

perception 15:
though it's difficult to be sure at this distance, the camp looks like it's been sacked or hastily abandoned. The firewood pile and many racks for curing pelts have been overturned, and the tent is torn and partially collapsed

Frosty
2011-08-29, 07:39 PM
Perception - [roll0]

Abigail squints her eyes, trying to see better. She puts up a fist signalling to halt. "That's the source of the fire. Do we see anyone currently in or around the camp?"

stack
2011-08-29, 08:10 PM
Bors dismounts heavily as they near the campsite.He scratches his beard absentmindedly as he looks around,

"Smell anything, fur nose?"

Fur nose? Oh right. Smoke, wood, ooh food...gone. Drat. Sweat. Latrine that way...what's this?

perception
bors [roll0]
honey [roll1]

Kon Lesh
2011-08-29, 09:11 PM
"Mmmm. Looks kind of abandoned." Lyle still takes a small look around. Might find out who was here. And if nothing else there might be something nice.

Perception [roll0]

TurtleKing
2011-08-29, 09:25 PM
Lets see who was here. Skittles goes around searching for tracks that aren't theirs. After he finds any he will try to identify them.
Perception 1d20+6 [8]. If he found any Survival 1d20+6 [20].

Bhaakon
2011-08-29, 10:11 PM
Skittles circles the wrecked camped, looking for prints. Picking through the ruined tent, dying embers of the fire, and various bits of debris for clues. He doesn't have to look hard, as the prints are numerous and obvious.

@skittles
There are many medium-sized humanoid prints, probably a human or elf, but all appear to be from the same person. There are 6-8 sets of small humanoid tracks that lead off to the north. All are wearing footwear, making more specific identification impossible.

TurtleKing
2011-08-29, 10:18 PM
Small guys wearing shoes went north. Good chance gobs.

Skittles then goes to rest by the dying fire for a little bit of warmth.

Kon Lesh
2011-08-29, 11:39 PM
"Sounds like we....." Lyle stops talking as he watches Skittles move to the fire..."Are you that tired? We only walked a small distance."

TurtleKing
2011-08-29, 11:59 PM
Tired no. Cold yes. Skittles tries to get warm even thought the trip up the ridge has thawed him out. The winters in the sewer weren't this bad. In fact were nice and steamy.

Frosty
2011-08-30, 12:58 AM
"You are more fortunate than some, sir Skittles. There are many others that have been hunted down for our deficiencies, and you are still alive. You are alive to feel the cold wind, and to feel the warmth of a hearth."

The others having a better eye than her, the holy warrior lets them do what they are good at while she scans the area for anything that jumps at her "hunch" for feeling the presence of evil.

So she starts Detect Evil and will spend the necessary rounds to scan an area bfore moving onto the next area. Let me know if Abigail finds anything like a lingering aura.

Bhaakon
2011-08-30, 02:38 AM
@Abigail
You feel nothing untoward, but that means little. In your experience, it takes a truly powerful malignant force to leave a lasting impression, and even then such things are usually short-lived.

stack
2011-08-30, 07:07 AM
"Goblins, eh? Well best follow them. Talk or fight we accomplish nothin' if they get away." Bors sticks a foot in the stirrup, then swings his thick leg over, quickly mounting. Looking to his mount, "Can you find a scent to follow? Catch them and I'll double your mead ration tonight."

Goblins...goblins smell bad. Taste worse. Find goblins get mead? Mead good.

The bear ambles off enthusiastically toward the trail, nose to the ground.

Frosty
2011-08-30, 09:57 AM
Abigail stays to make sure that everyone leaves, and then takes the rear herself. "Mead? You give alcohol to your mount? Is that...wise?"

Tyrael
2011-08-30, 10:05 AM
Saren yawns again, shuddering in the chill as he squats down by the glowing embers. "Too cold out here," the Kobold mutters aloud. "Liable to suck a man's strength from his bones, if Saren's any judge."

Blowing on his hands, Saren reaches into the embers and loads a few of them into his lantern. Shutting the lantern's door, he then hugs the warm metal to him and sighs in relief.

TurtleKing
2011-08-30, 10:50 AM
Skittles gets back up and moves to next to the bear to also track the little buggers. Looks over at Saren and snorts. Hey the sooner we find them the sooner we can get back to where its warm. Oh yes mead must get mead when back. Stingy.

Survival to follow the tracks [roll0]

stack
2011-08-30, 11:42 AM
Bors guffaws. "Far wiser than keeping it from him. Worry not, we never over indulge. To heavy."

Dead smell human not like mead? Bad.

Kon Lesh
2011-08-30, 01:12 PM
"Hehehe. Sounds like a good plan to me. You can never have enough mead. And if we find some wolves or something a bit of meat will go well with it. Once we get the ears of course. Mmmm...maybe a bit of mead to soak the cutlets first." You hear Lyle begin to mutter different things that can be done to a hunk of meat to make it taste better.

Frosty
2011-08-30, 01:46 PM
Abigail does not join in any discussions on how to prepare and cook meat. In fact, she seems strangely un-enthusiastic about a good meal. She just has a grim and professional face as she looks out for any dangers as the group walks.

Bhaakon
2011-08-30, 06:09 PM
Skittles easily follows the tracks through the scrubby forest. Eventually they meet an established game trail which snakes into a small canyon and up to a cave opening. Refuse is piled in heaps around the entrance, and a number of crude paintings (and not just crude in execution) decorate the stone face. The closer you get to the cave, the more edgy Honey becomes. Obviously he smells something he doesn't like, but he can't tell you what.

knowledge (local) DC 10
Though poorly executed, the drawings probably portray goblins.

survival DC 15
There are a few tufts of brown fur around the entrance, but you can't identify the species.

Kon Lesh
2011-08-30, 06:15 PM
"And maybe a bit of marmalade to..." Lyle stops talking as he lays eyes on the cave. "And what is all of this?" Lyle moves close to look at the heap and drawings.

Survival [roll0]

Frosty
2011-08-30, 06:29 PM
Know (local) roll [max 10]: [roll0]
Survival roll: [roll1]

Frosty
2011-08-30, 06:33 PM
The lady knight appears to find the paintings distateful, and focuses on the fur she finds. Taking a small handful over to Bors, she says, "Bears...sometimes live in caves yes?"

She glances over at Honey, wishing she could help calm the bear down, but moving closer to Honey would just agitate him more.

TurtleKing
2011-08-30, 07:06 PM
We are here so who is in there?
Survival [roll0] Add another 2 to the roll if favored enemy.

stack
2011-08-30, 08:23 PM
Bors dismounts to better study the scene. To Honey, "So it smells bad? Well, stay close anyway. And don't get any in your fur, you just had a bath last week."

Taking the fur from Abigail, he examines it. "Thank you, hmm." He holds it up to the light and gives it a sniff, before proffering it to Honey for closer examination. "What do you think? Smell any goblins?"

I assume Honey can nod and shake his head for yes and no, even if he can't speak words.
know local [roll0]
survival [roll1]

"Drawing look like goblins. Filthy, yet attempting humor."

Bhaakon
2011-08-30, 08:43 PM
Honey makes a subtle nod to answer your question, but pulls away from the fur. Clearly it's not the goblin spoor he finds troubling.

Honey can understand simple language, like "smell any goblins", and provide simple yes/no-type feedback, but nothing much more complex than that. Don't try to play 20-questions or you'll confuse him.

WrathOfLife
2011-08-30, 09:23 PM
Nox Fairway

The giant of a man that is Nox takes a long sip from a flask at his side before glancing into the cave. The warmth of the grog he now held inside him helped to hold his opinions to himself up to this point.

Slowly drawing his large sword, Nox frowns. "Suppose we better go in and get there ears then?" Staring at the opening as if suspecting the goblins to come pouring out, Nox sighs with clear disappointment when they did not.

"Any volunteers to go first?"

stack
2011-08-30, 09:52 PM
"Maybe the lady and I should go first, keep things peaceable till they ain't. Unless any o' you speak gobbo?" He hefts his hammer, then turns to Honey. "Keep a look-out here. Cave might get tight for you. Let usknow if you see anything."

Bhaakon
2011-08-30, 11:00 PM
The cave is more than big enough for honey, at least as far as you can see within.

WrathOfLife
2011-08-30, 11:41 PM
Nox

Leaning against the side of the cave, Now nods to the scouting team. "If you get ambushed, die loudly so we know what happened."

TurtleKing
2011-08-30, 11:53 PM
Skittles
Not without me. You need someone good with this kind of ground. Skittles sheathes his Heavy Crossbow and draws the Horsechopper. Probably not enough room for the crossbow to be useful. He follows behind Abigail and Bors.

Frosty
2011-08-31, 12:40 AM
Abigail sighs and draws her greatsword. While one should not always go in with weapon drawn, sometimes a dagnerous area requires one to be prepared. She leads the way, advancing carefully while scanning for anything evil.

Bhaakon
2011-08-31, 02:51 AM
The scouting group draws weapons and picks their way down the rank, refuse littered tunnel.

Saren can join them or not when he posts

The cavern snakes through the bedrock for 50 yards before coming to a fork. There's been enough traffic going left to wear a noticeable rut in the cave's accretion of offal, but there's a faint sound of high-pitched chanting echoes from the right.

@Abigail
You have a weak, but real, sense of unease from the right hand passage. The lingering sensation of wrongness weakens and disappears in the few moments you stand at the junction

Perception DC 15
There are large claw marks here and there in the cavern, as well as some months' old dung.

If you make the perception check: Survival DC 15 or knowledge (nature) DC 15
The trail of dung and scratches leads to the right. They were made by a bear. A very large one.

stack
2011-08-31, 06:53 AM
"What's that? Chanting?" Bors looks about apprehensively.

perception [roll0]

survival[roll1]

"Look here, claw marks. And...that. Not sure what from. Chanting, claws, what lives here?"

TurtleKing
2011-08-31, 07:26 AM
Perception [roll0]. Survival [roll1] If Favored Enemy +2.
Chanting...as in a part of a spell. No peace if casters.

Tyrael
2011-08-31, 10:40 AM
Sorry about my posting delay. Been busy with work and life.

Also, is it just me, or has dndsheets.net been inaccessible for several days? I can't find out what Saren's skill modifiers are...

Saren creeps down the tunnel silently behind the scouting party. "Goblins are usually pretty superstitious," he explains quietly as he tugs his bandanna around his snout to ward against the smell of offal and refuse. "Once met a tribe that was convinced a hand puppet was their deity's chosen avatar. Banjo the Mighty, they called him. Never saw that puppet move or do a single thing the whole time, but those goblins kept right on believin' anyway." The little Kobold shrugs. "Maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong, who knows? Belief is the life-force of the gods. If enough people believe in somethin', don't matter if it ain't true. Sometimes the raw faith is all you need."

Kon Lesh
2011-08-31, 10:47 AM
"Alright, have fun in the cave." Lyle leans up against the side of the cave next to Nox. "Probably just a beast in the cave. Hope they don't die, though. Easier to kill something with more people."

stack
2011-08-31, 11:18 AM
Bors looks to the two men at the mouth of the cave. "Those who don't fight don't get shares in the bounty. Whatever made these claw marks should count. Honey can watch the entrance just fine."

Cave bad. Outside good. Old food here?

Frosty
2011-08-31, 11:37 AM
perception check: [roll0]
survival check: [roll1]

Abigail stops Bors from shouting to the entrance. "If we do not wish to alert whatever is chanting, we should talk quiietly. Getting back to the entrance will just take half a minute even through these winding tunnels. I feel a sense of...unease and wrongness coming from the right fork. Look at these claw marks. going in the same direction. It was made by a bear...a very large one I'm certain. Perhaps is is an animal corrupted by some unknown force?"

She looks at the jittery Honey. "Can Honey's presence perhaps calm other bears down? You know best whether to bring Honey or not. The right fork is where we shall investigate. after I inform the others."

She heads back to the entrance and tells Nyle and Nox of what they found. "Follow me. Let's take care of this threat quickly if it can't be reasoned with."

stack
2011-08-31, 12:11 PM
"If it's a normal bear, it won't likely take to a strange bear in its lair. If it's not normal..." he shrugs.

TurtleKing
2011-08-31, 12:16 PM
When does a bear take kindly to anyone in its cave?

Frosty
2011-08-31, 12:37 PM
"Let's us proceed carefully then." The pale knight once again takes the lead, her eyes scanning the area ahead for evil as they head into the right fork.

Kon Lesh
2011-08-31, 12:42 PM
"When they are unarmed, slow, and fat. Bears like those type of people." Lyle replies to Skittles after he enters the cave. Lyle walks along with Abigail, just to her right.

Bhaakon
2011-08-31, 05:54 PM
The chanting becomes stronger as you feel your way down the dark corridor. Eventually you can pick out words, or, rather, a word: the chant is merely a repetition of the word "Snod."

After about 30 yards you come to a sharp bend. The flicker of firelight plays off the wall ahead of you. The chanting is now very close, and, thankfully, loud enough to drown out your less than stealthy approach so far.

@Abigail
Your sense of unease picks up again as you continue down the cavern, but remains faint

TurtleKing
2011-08-31, 06:17 PM
Skittles
Skittles swaps back to the heavy crossbow to get a shot. Skittles checks the heavy crossbow and loads it. He whispers No peace. Let me get first shot. Skittles then peers around the corner so as to see who to shoot. Stealth [roll0], Perception[roll1]

Frosty
2011-08-31, 06:50 PM
Abigail places a ahnd on Skittles gently and whispers. "Not yet. Not until we know exactly what it is doing. We do NOT kill those have caused no harm." She also peeks around the corner.

Bhaakon
2011-08-31, 08:43 PM
Skittles and Abigail peer around the corner and into a large chamber lit by four four small fires. Peering through the smoke they spy six goblins surrounding a crudely carved stone platform. A woman lies on the platform, wrapped in so much rope that you nearly mistake her for some kind of maritime mummy. The goblin furthest away from you jumps around in a kind of spastic dance, randomly swinging his tooth-studded club and tossing about a motley cloak sewn from dozens of scraggly rodent pelts. The others provide the repetitious chorus:

"Snod, snod, snod, snod."

Behind them all is a pitch black passage, about shoulder-high to a human. A wide assortment of well-chewed bones litter the floor between the altar and the far opening.

@abigail
You sense a faint disturbance in your gut as you focus on the dancing goblin

map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/CMCaveR1.jpg
L: Lyle
B:Bors
Sa:Saren
A:Abigail
Sk:skittles
G:goblin
P:priest
W:tied up woman

TurtleKing
2011-08-31, 09:15 PM
Skittles
If I see this I act. Skittles hates casters with prepared arcane especially.Too late for that. Skittles moves to D11 and fires his heavy crossbow at the dancing goblin. After that he sheathes the heavy crossbow.
Heavy Crossbow attack [roll0]. Damage [roll1]. Add +2 to attack and damage if an Alchemist, Magus, Witch, or Wizard.

stack
2011-08-31, 09:56 PM
Poking his head around and seeing the proceedings, Bors face goes red with anger. "We will put a stop to this. Now." He pushes past his companions and enters the cave, unconcerned about stealth.
"Release her NOW!" He cries out as he raises his massive hammer.

Double Move to L-11

WrathOfLife
2011-08-31, 10:19 PM
Nox

Plodding along behind the others muttering about uselessness of stealth, and underhanded people in general.

Seeing the others finally ready to actually do something, Nox breaks into a run, trying to get as close to the woman as possible in order to hold a defense there.

I'm not on the map, so I assume, I'm right at the back. Nox will run into the room, aiming to get as close to the woman as possible.

Bhaakon
2011-08-31, 11:14 PM
Everyone present can take a move or attack action in the surprise round, since you've caught the goblins unawares and skittles has initiated combat. Roll initiative.

@Nox
You're not on the map because you said that you were going to stay outside. If you want to say that you followed them in after awhile, I'll add you to the map and let you take your first turn after the surprise round.

@stack
You can't double move in the surprise round

TurtleKing
2011-08-31, 11:38 PM
Skittles
Initiative 1d20+5 Skittles charges the nearest goblin when he can go to chow down. Skittles is using his Bite Attack on the nearest one within 60ft. If possible otherwise draws his Horsechopper and moves closer by 30ft. If charge with bite attack [roll0]. Add +4 to attack if successful attack with ranged weapon last round from Opening Volley. Add another +2 to attack and damage if favored enemy. Damage [roll1]

Tyrael
2011-09-01, 12:29 AM
As the rest of his companions charge forward, Saren sidles along the edge of the cave wall, quietly drawing his pistol as he goes.

Moving to E7, drawing my pistol as part of that move action.

Initiative: [roll0]

Frosty
2011-09-01, 12:36 AM
Abigail swears as she rushes in even as skittles begins shooting. First blood is drawn, and the fray must be joined. Moving directly into the chamber as the group takes the goblins by surprise, she surveys the area briefly. "There's the likely leader. If it stands down..."

Init [roll0]

ooc: Surprise Round: Move to 12F.

Kon Lesh
2011-09-01, 12:36 AM
"Alright, go time." Lyle moves out into the room with his shield held high.

initiative [roll0]
move during the surprise round to E10

WrathOfLife
2011-09-01, 12:39 AM
We were originally all waiting while the two scouts moved in, as far as I'm aware, then everyone went in. I may have been mistaken, either way, I'll go with your post, and follow after the surprise round.

Bhaakon
2011-09-01, 01:56 AM
Skittles looses a bolt the same moment he recognizes the goblin shaman as a spellcaster, but his haste spoils his aim and the bolt clatters against the far wall of the chamber. The dancing and chanting abruptly ceases as the goblins turn towards the ranger in unison.

The remainder of the scouting party scrambles around the ratkin and into the room, angling for a shot or closing for melee. Nox, who grew impatient outside and hurried after the group, sprints into the fray.

@stack
I halved your double move action to get it to fit in the surprise round. I hope that's not a problem

Initiative order:
Before goblins:
Saren: 23

Goblins: 16

After Goblins:
Nox: 15
Skittles:13
Abigail: 12
Lyle: 5
Bors: 3

So Saren gets to take his first round action, then the goblins, then everyone else. If your in the after enemies group, hold off on posting your turn until I update again.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Cave2.jpg

Tyrael
2011-09-01, 08:11 AM
Move to K7 and ready an action to shoot the first Goblin that tries to attack me or the party. I'll go ahead and roll that attack ahead of time to save time.

[roll0] vs touch AC if it's a goblin within 20ft of me (out to column O). The attack is vs normal AC with a -2 penalty if it's a goblin beyond that.

[roll1]

Saren swaggers up to the group of Goblins with his pistol in one hand and a set of manacles in the other. "All right, you lot," he announces in Goblin, speaking quickly before things turn more hostile. "We can do this easy or we can do this hard. Sheriff Saren's gonna give you one chance and one chance only to lay down your weapons, let that fine lady go and come along quietly. You're all under arrest for conspiracy to commit kidnapping. Err...ladynapping. First man to raise a hand 'gainst me or mine gets a bullet in the face."

The little Kobold stares directly at the Goblin shaman. "So what'll it be?" he asks again in Goblin. "Easy or hard?"

Bhaakon
2011-09-01, 05:14 PM
"Sheriff? Snod's law rules in Big Hole, and Snod say only gobbos and food allowed in. You not a gobbo." responds the priest, as he throws himself into a another odd jig. "Be good food and die easy" he says, pointing at Saren.

Saren: Will save DC 13 or be shaken (-2 to attack, saves, skill checks & ability checks)

Two goblins charge Bors, drawing wickedly barbed dogslicers as they run. Bors easily sidesteps the first thrust, and the second bounces off his scale mail.

A third runs at Saren, also drawing its dogslicer, but catches a pistol round in its calf en route. "Dog-man fight dirty, no use loud powder!" it screams in the kobold's face.

The two flanking the priest produce a pair of shortbows. Two arrows issue forth, one is deflected by Lyle's shield, the other finds a chink in Abigail's mail above the knee.

@Abigail
4 HP damage

Everyone can take their next action (including Saren).

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Cave3.jpg

TurtleKing
2011-09-01, 05:44 PM
Skittles
Skittles starts reloading his heavy crossbow. Crank...crank...crank.

Kon Lesh
2011-09-01, 05:51 PM
"How about being good prizes and offer your ears."
Lyle moves up and swings his shield against the goblins.

Move to H8
Attack with combat expertise [roll0]
damage [roll]1d6+4[roll]

Frosty
2011-09-01, 06:36 PM
Abigail - HP 10/14, AC 14, saves 6/-1/1

"Lower your weapons and we can..." *thunk* and an arrow lodges itself in her thigh. So much for negotations.

Abigail moves to the nearest goblin to chop it down, hoping to clear the way for her allies. "You won't like how I taste..." she says as she swings with large blade! However, the pain from the arrow temporarily distracts her and her swing is too high!
Abigail->MoveToLoc ( 11 J );
Abigail->AttackwithGreatSword ( goblin, 10 I);
Atk roll: [roll0]
Dmg roll: [roll1]

WrathOfLife
2011-09-01, 09:23 PM
Nox

With a powerful roar, Nox sprints into the battle. He see's his target before him and heads to it like an arrow. Sprinting towards the spellcaster, in a wide arch to avoid most of the combat. Nox yells his battle cry and lines up to attack.

Run action for total speed 120 feet, moving 85 if my counting is right.
From b10 to O15 to S11.

stack
2011-09-01, 09:31 PM
Bors raises his hammer, swinging on a angle at one of his assailants. He refrains from using his full strength, instead trying to maintain control to connect with his small foe. Should have brought the bear.

attack goblin in I-10
[roll0]
damage [roll1]

"Seems they are in no mood to chat."

Tyrael
2011-09-01, 10:43 PM
Reload pistol (move action, provokes AoO), draw Longsword (move action). The little back-and-forth fight is just fluff, since I've always believed that a single attack roll represents several seconds of attacks, dodges, parries, etc.

Saren fumbles with his pistol, his scaly hands working swiftly as he reloads it with blazing speed, ducking beneath a reflexive swipe from the Goblin. Swapping the pistol to his other hand, the little Kobold draws a longsword and points it at the Goblin.

"Dog-Man?" he hollers in the Goblin's face as they cross blades. He slashes down at the Goblin's wide head, which is met with a dull clank as the Goblin blocks. "Saren's no dog! He's got scales, not fur!"

Skittering back against the rocky wall, Saren dodges a retaliatory slash, then blocks a second chop before lashing out with a stab of his own. The Goblin's wide head tolts to the side and allows Saren's blade to pass by. The little Kobold grits his teeth and recovers his balance. "For a head so big, where's all your brains at?" he yaps in Goblin.

Bhaakon
2011-09-02, 02:03 AM
Skittles furiously cranks his crossbow

Abigail charges a goblin threatening Bors, but the searing pain in her leg spoils her footing and sends her blade high.

Bors proves more than capable of defending himself, however, and delivers a controlled overhand chop. The burly cavalier daintily drives the goblin into the ground like a big, squishy tent stake.

Skittles continues working the cranquin, drawing the bowstring ever closer to the locking mechanism.

Lyle rushes the nearest goblin, leading with his shield. The eternal battle of flesh versus heavy sheet of steel ends with yet another decisive victory for iron alloys everywhere, as the creature's head spins unnaturally with a sickening crack. The goblin flops backwards, quite dead.

Saren engages in a back and forth with his opponent, trying his best to avoid the wicked little dogslicer as he reloads his pistol and works his own sword loose of its scabbard. "Smell like dog, bark like gobbo, fight like cheaterman with loud powder." says the goblin, as its blade jabs through the kobold's defenses.

@Saren
1 damage

The metallic clicks of the crossbow's ratchet system come fast and furious as Skittles continues cranking.

Back at the rear of the tunnel, the archers focus their attention on the nearest threat. One arrow ricochets off the stone at Nox's feet, but the second catches the barbarian in the right forearm

@Nox
2 damage

The Priest, seeing his fellow goblins fall and Nox close at hand, loses his nerve. He screams as he flees into the rear passage "Snod will save! Yes, yes! SNOOOOO...*crunch*!!!!" His shout is cut short by what sounds rather like a sledgehammer smashing a rotten watermelon.

The bowstring finally drawn and locked, Skittles fits a bolt to his crossbow.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/CMCaveR2.jpg

Frosty
2011-09-02, 02:15 AM
Abigail - HP 10/14, AC 12, saves 6/-1/1

The lady knight wishes she could understand the goblins...in both the literal and the more philosophical sense, but now is not the time. Rushing forward to the next target, Abigail attempts a straight thrust with her great sword against the one who lodged an arrow in her thigh. Luckily her clothing is red, so people can't tella s easily if she's bleeding or not (or if her blood color is normal).

"SURRENDER...NOW!" she shouts as she charges. It appears that she may be giving the goblins a chance to surrender by missing and not killing them quickly. At least it's one possible explanation. It sounds better. Don't judge her.
Abigail->ChargeToLoc ( 11 P );
Abigail->ChargewithGreatSword ( goblin archer, 10 Q);
Atk roll: [roll0]
Dmg roll: [roll1]

TurtleKing
2011-09-02, 03:38 AM
Skittles
Skittles moves up a littles to see what is going on. Spotting the short one of this group still messing around with a goblin takes aim and fire.
Shooting the goblin fighting Saren. Attack 1d20. Damage [roll0]. Shooting into melee ate up my bonus to hit.

stack
2011-09-02, 07:01 AM
Bors too charges, trodding heavily on the fallen goblin at his feet for good measure. The lumbering wall of armored muscle takes a horizontal swing as his charge ends, the mighty head of the hammer in an arc parrallel with the uneven floor.

batter-up!
charge to P-10,
attack [roll0] (including charge)
damage [roll1]
AC 15, HP 12

The hammer connects, blowing aside the goblins feeble attempt to stop his inevitable doom, sending the small creature sprawling with a sick crack.

I checked my roll and took the liberty of narrating. I'm quite sure a 20 hits.

WrathOfLife
2011-09-02, 07:41 AM
Nox

Taking a 5 ft step, Now raises his sword high and unleashes a series of attacks against the nearest goblin. Between attacks Nox snarls and roars primitively, and yet he is reserved. Not giving it his all.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Frosty
2011-09-02, 11:22 AM
Since Nox may have killed Abigail's target before Abigail's turn comes up, Abigail would change her actions to moving up to the altar. She takes a double move to get right next to the woman, ready to cut the ropes in the coming turn.

Tyrael
2011-09-02, 11:30 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Saren

The little Kobold winces as he takes a gash on the arm. Staggering back, he blocks two more clumsy chops from the Goblin. Saren suddenly lashes out with a desperate kick from his surprisingly-powerful digitigrade legs, knocking the Goblin off-balance. As the Goblin teeters, Saren brings his longsword scything in towards the Goblin's ribs and draws a spurt of blood.

Kon Lesh
2011-09-02, 11:45 AM
Lyle eyes the only remaining goblin not currently being attacked. He charges to the location. "Try using that bow when I'm on top of you."

I do not know if the altar would disrupt my straight line for a charge attack. So I will put both options, use the attack option if I can. I only have 40ft with a charge attack so it has to go to P7.

If I can charge attack:
Charge to P7 and attack goblin at Q6
attack roll with combat expertise [roll0]
damage [roll1]
AC=19

If I can't charge attack due to the altar:
run action to P6
AC=20 (since I didn't attack, I can't use combat expertise)

Bhaakon
2011-09-02, 03:02 PM
With his blade now in hand, Saren and his opponent engage in a brisk back-and-forth duel. Spotting an apparent opening, the kobold puts all his strength behind a finishing blow, but misses by a hair's breadth as the goblin hops to his left. Just as the dogslicer snakes in for a sure killing blow, Skittles' bolt strikes the goblin's temple. "Not fair," hisses Saren's attacker as it falls to the ground.

Bors and Nox nearly collide atop their target. The little goblin archer stands no chance against the pair's hammer and falchion, collapsing in two well-tenderized chunks.

Lyle charges the last goblin standing, blasting the thing from existence with a single blow. The head catches on his shield spikes, and the fighter dislodges the corpse with a nonchalant flip of his arm.

With no goblins left to fight, Abigail approaches the altar. What the goblins lacked in tying ability they made up in enthusiasm, as it's hard to see the woman for all the hempen rope wrapped around her. The paladin scans the cordage for a good place to start cutting.

The muted click of very large claws on stone drifts out of the low passage, followed by the fattest brown bear any of you have ever seen. The obese ursine trundles into the chamber and, seeing you arrayed around its dinner table, lets loose a hearty roar.

map added
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/CMCaveR3.jpg

Kon Lesh
2011-09-02, 07:26 PM
"Well, that's a big boy. AAGGGHHH!!!!" Lyle charges forward hitting the bear with his shield.

Charge to V6 and attack bear
attack roll with combat expertise [roll0]
damage [roll1]
AC=19

TurtleKing
2011-09-02, 07:36 PM
Guess need to get closer for a good shot. Skittles moves as close as he can for now. Skittles moves to Q11.

stack
2011-09-02, 07:46 PM
Bors whips his head up when he hears the familiar sounds of claws, only larger, even before the caves magnification. "Oh...Snod I presume. Let's end this quickly. Any beast with a taste for man-flesh must be put down."

He again raises his hammer and takes a deep breath before charging, throwing all his considerable weight into one mighty swing.

charge to V-7
power attack [roll0] (including charge, less PA)
damage [roll1]

AC 15 from charge HP 12

WrathOfLife
2011-09-02, 09:49 PM
Nox

With a roar echoing that of the bears and his comrades, Nox charges at the bear, his fury finally unleashed. Charging at the creature Nox moves with his blade pointed squarely at the beasts throat.

Raging!
Charging!
Power attacking!
[roll0] Bonuses added
[roll1]
AC reduced by 4! (rage and charge)

Frosty
2011-09-03, 12:22 AM
Abigail - HP 10/14, AC 14, saves 6/-1/1

Honey is big and strong. This ursine is just...ginormous. "It can kill this woman by sitting on her, much less using its claws and teeth...better hurry." Abigail starts cutting the ropes as quickly as she can with her blade, attempting to free the woman. If she can't get it all in one go, she frees the woman's hands first so the woman can also help herself.
Abigail->CutRopes ( woman );

Bhaakon
2011-09-03, 04:58 PM
Abigail gets to work on the woman's bonds. Though the goblins trussed her up with what seems like 100 feet of frayed, spliced rope, the whole mess is only held together by a single knot. One cut is all it takes to loosen the bindings, and the woman easily slips free. She coughs and retches as she pulls a gag from her mouth (which looks disturbingly like the loincloths the goblins were wearing), and appears about to speak when another great roar from the bear interrupts her.

The bear, somehow, manages to lift its ponderous bulk up on its hind legs. Lyle rushes in with a shield bash, but merely bounces off the creature's belly. A great wave of blubber orbits the beast's midsection, but the shield's spikes don't seem to have penetrated the thick hide. It takes a couple lazy swipes at Lyle as the warrior recovers, but misses.

Nox doesn't miss. He charges the distracted animal falchion-first, driving a solid foot of his blade into the beast. The injured bear falls back on all fours, latching his maw onto the Barbarian's shoulder.

@nox
6 damage

With the creature's head exposed, Bors makes his move. This time he puts his full force behind the blow, raining down a devastating two-handed strike with his earthbreaker. A lesser bear may have died right there, but the great tub of goo only withdraws a step, shaking its head and staggering drunkenly, like Honey after that time he broke into Nox's cask of grog.

Seeing the bear on its metaphorical heels, Saren and Skittles race across the chamber to provide ranged support.

I included the damage done to the bear. 24 hours for your next turn, everyone.http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/CMCave4.jpg

WrathOfLife
2011-09-03, 07:59 PM
Nox

Looking down at the bite in his shoulder Nox eyes, become fury. Throwing down his sword, and chugging a quick swig from his grog, Nox charges at the beast trying to deliver a headbutt in repayment for the wound.

Rage!
Power Attack!
[roll0]
[roll1]
Raging, using Drunken rage feature
AC at -2

Edit: To be clear, its Move drink, Free 5 ft step, Standard Attack.

stack
2011-09-03, 08:39 PM
Seeing the bear recoil, Bors presses his advantage, stepping up and swinging upward, again throwing his whole strength into the blow.

5' step forward,
power attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

TurtleKing
2011-09-03, 08:47 PM
Skittles

Seeing that massive mound of flesh Skittles decides best to hang back for now. He starts cranking again to load another bolt.

Bhaakon
2011-09-03, 08:55 PM
oops, double post.

Bhaakon
2011-09-03, 09:08 PM
Nox downs a tremendous gulp from his grogskin, then charges in to meet the bear head-to-head. The barbarian's arguments prove the stronger in the meeting of the minds, and the beast collapses to the stone floor. Bors stalks in with hammer raised, delivering a finishing blow to "Snod."

As the bear falls, the now untied woman collapses in exhaustion. She's virtually skin and bones under her dirty, ragged clothing. She tries to speak, but can't seem to work her throat properly. Instead she motions weakly, miming drinking water.

335 xp for each player

The goblins have 5x small shortbows, 5x small dogslicers. They're also carrying 10 gp in a small pouch, and a human-sized longbow and dagger (the woman's meager belongings). You'll need light to search the bear's den effectively

Frosty
2011-09-04, 01:16 AM
"Please, someone give her some water. I will check her for other wounds." Abigail says as she starts checking over the gaunt woman for any injuries. "You'll be alright. We've taken care of your kidnappers, and we'll bring you back to Tieup where you can rest."
Heal check to try to ascertain the woman's conditions beyond just tired, hungry, and thirsty. If anyone wishes to Aid Another, please do. [roll0]

TurtleKing
2011-09-04, 01:25 AM
Skittles

Seeing as the fight is already over puts away his heavy crossbow. He then starts searching for the two bolts he fired earlier to possibly reuse. One should be in a goblin while the other one near where the bear was felled.

Bhaakon
2011-09-04, 01:31 AM
Though visibly relieved by the offer of a drink, the woman appears stricken at the suggestion of going to Tieup.

@Abigail
She is uninjured beyond a few cuts and bruises, but she's severely dehydrated and obviously hasn't eaten regularly in weeks, maybe months.

@skittles
Unfortunately, the goblin fell on your bolt and snapped the shaft. The head of the one that hit the far wall of the cavern is bent and useless. Neither is recoverable (by RAW, ammo that hits is destroyed, as are 50% of misses).

WrathOfLife
2011-09-04, 01:37 AM
Nox

Content with his skull crushing victory, Nox breaths deep and then sits down. "We should probably search the area for traps deeper in. After I catch my breath, I'll come with." Nox shakes his head to help clear his thoughts, then takes another sip of grog, with a happy sigh.

Frosty
2011-09-04, 01:38 AM
After the inspection, the pale paladin begins to examine the wounds of the mind. "Please, would you mind telling us your name, miss? Is there some danger to going back to Tieup? We want you to be safe and sound, so you'll need to tell us what has happened and where you'd like to go." She says this inher most sincere and comforting voice.
Diplomacy Roll to get the woman to open up. Again, Aid Another is appreciated. [roll0]

Bhaakon
2011-09-04, 01:56 AM
The woman gulps gratefully from a proffered waterskin, then takes her time in considering Abigail's questions. Thankfully, she out if it enough not to notice the undead paladin's irregularities.

"I'm a trapper out of Laern. I...um...I just can't go into town without my, er, fur quota. The goblins stole all my pelts, and I... I..." the woman breaks down, the her poor lies obvious even to her. She buries her face in the waterskin again before restarting her explaination.

"By Fenix, who am I kidding. I might as well tell you the truth, I couldn't last another week alone in my tent anyway. I'm on the run from the Familiars, you know, Alyera's bloodhounds. They've been scouring Laern all Winter, and the High Druids don't even care. I can't be seen in town; nowhere is safe from their damned inquisition anymore."

Frosty
2011-09-04, 02:22 AM
The Inquisition? Abigail is concerned. "Why...is the Inquisition after you? Do not worry, we are no friends of theirs."

Bhaakon
2011-09-04, 03:56 AM
"The Emperess's personal guard only bother with counterfeiters, seditionists, and anathema, and I'm not a counterfeiter." She whispers, eying the others. "Lets leave it at that."

"Um, do you have any food?"

TurtleKing
2011-09-04, 11:25 AM
Skittles
So you are either a seditionist or anathema. Prove it. Just how close is Laern? Skittles goes and stands by Abigail questioning the woman.

Frosty
2011-09-04, 12:08 PM
"We have seen no Familiars activity within Tieup. It is one of the most remote villages, and if you can't go even there, then your only other choice is to...as you say...'live in a tent by yourself.' I don't think you really want to do that."

Abigail indicates to the others to share some rations with this woman, while she starts checking the woman with her evil-huncher.

Kon Lesh
2011-09-04, 02:06 PM
Lyle looks in the cave but seeing complete darkness he gives a bit of a sigh. "Alright but the lady needs to tell us the truth. Both his questions and if there is anything important further in that cave. Or does someone have a torch...Does anyone have a torch or light source?"

Lyle asks as he holds out some rations for the women.

Bhaakon
2011-09-04, 05:55 PM
The woman gobbles down Lyle rations before continuing. "Laern is 80 miles or so to the northeast, and what do you mean 'prove' who I am? Why would someone admit to high offenses she didn't commit, or spend a winter starving in the wilds to escape capture? As for Tieup, it's only a matter of time before they're there as well."

TurtleKing
2011-09-04, 05:58 PM
Skittles
Dammit! How much longer do I have to keep running? Skittles is looking nervous now darting eyes back and forth.

Bhaakon
2011-09-04, 06:40 PM
"You?! I'm the one on the run."

@Abigail
You sense no evil

TurtleKing
2011-09-04, 06:46 PM
Skittles
Yea. Well.... Skittles scoots over to back of the cave mumbling to himself. Where...where...where next?

Bhaakon
2011-09-04, 07:04 PM
The woman seems to be regaining her strength after the nourishment. She turns to Abigail, "thank you for freeing me. Those goblins besieged my camp for a week, shooting arrows whenever I left my tent, until I finally collapsed. I...er...your wound isn't bleeding." her eyes widen. Obviously she's noticed that Abigail is not exactly living.

Frosty
2011-09-04, 08:40 PM
"I heal quickly, and I have a skin condition. I don't like to talk about it much, miss." Abigail replies curtly as she turns away and goes to another part of the cave to dress her wounds, wrapping a bandage over the area. What she says is technically true, since she can repair herself quicker than natural healing, and her skin has the condition of not being attached to a live body. After bandaging herself, she starts searching the cave for anything else interesting.

Not a Heal check to heal HP, but rather just a quick and dirty job...mostly for appearance's sake. Then, look around the cavern some more.

Bhaakon
2011-09-04, 10:52 PM
"Aye, of course." The woman doesn't seem entirely convinced, but she doesn't want to confront her savior over it either.

Abigail searches the cavern more thoroughly. There's nothing left to find in the main chamber, but there are a few coins and bits of common jewelry among the well-chewed remains in the bear's lair. The goblin priest's corpse has a small handful of gold coins, but nothing else of value. An intact dessicated body leans against one wall in the den, its head smashed in by a nearby rockfall. The dead man's leather armor has been ruined by the partial decomposition of his body, and the wooden club he grasps has no value, but Abigail finds more coins as well as a pair of sealed vials in his belt. While leaving the chamber, the paladin notices something around the bear's neck: a collar buried under fur and flabby folds of flesh. The item consists of a black leather belt studded with bright silver claws, the craftsmanship is excellent and it's in immaculate shape despite being on the obese bear for the gods only know how long. A brass name tag dangling from the collar reads "SNOD."

item list
75 gp (I'm counting jewelry, gems, and such as money. No reason to track down a merchant and haggle over mundane treasure)
2x potions (DC 16 Perception check to identify)
bear collar (can be worn by a humanoid as a belt)

Frosty
2011-09-05, 12:37 AM
Even though Abigail is an Undead and not a Humanoid, I'm sure she can still wear the belt right? :smallwink: So the good thing is, Charm Person and Hold Person cant work on Abigail, but neither can Enlarge Person. Hmm...I wonder if Abigail can be 'Raised'...
Abigail brings back the things she found, not hiding anything from the others. "Can anyone identify what's in these vials? There's a corpse of a male back there as well. These vials are from that body."

She hands the medium-sized longbow and dagger over to the woman. "I presume these are yours? If you are well enough to travel, you should select a destination. We should be departing after we cut the ears off of these goblins. Can you skin the bear by the way? Might come in handy if you need to barter for provisions."

WrathOfLife
2011-09-05, 05:01 AM
Nox

Catching his breath, and standing again. Nox listens in rather disinterestedly to the conversation. Walking over to the woman, Nox offers a swig of his grog to her, before deciding he'll join the conversation.

"The Emperess's personal guard wouldn't have a reason to be searching for you, personally now would they? Your face known to them maybe? It changes little for us, but affects the way we conduct our business in town."

Nox takes his own swig from the skin before considering how to continue. "We wouldn't want undue attention from unpleasant company, you understand."

Tyrael
2011-09-05, 11:29 AM
Saren approaches the woman, but remains silent, figuring his companions are doing a decent job of questioning her already.

Kon Lesh
2011-09-05, 02:03 PM
"Town might be a little problem but I still intend to get something for our trouble. Might want to look away miss." Lyle pulls out his ax and begins to cut off the ears of the goblins. Then finally looking at the bear, I want some of this meat. Can anyone skin or butcher? If not I can try it. Shouldn't be too hard and if nothing else it can be a stew."

Frosty
2011-09-05, 02:12 PM
"A little too much fat for my taste...a girl's gotta watch what she eats." says Abigail as she points to the mass of blubber that was Snod. Strange, as you all have not seen Abigail eat much, or seen her busty figure change much at all during the months you've known her.

stack
2011-09-05, 03:18 PM
Bors silently aids in the searching, than produces his dagger to help collect the bounty-proofs. "Well, that is a huge hide, regardless of quality. Be a shame to leave it rotting in a cave."

He goes to work separating the hide from the carcass, taking care to leave it as undamaged as possible.

Survival [roll0]
can anyone aid another?

He leaves aside the matter of where to take the woman with the fear of the government. "Well lass, I am happy to have helped you. I have no objection if you want to come with us for a spell. I reckon we will be in the field here for a few days, collecting the beast and bandit bounties. Where you wish to go after is your own matter if you wish."

Bhaakon
2011-09-05, 04:20 PM
The woman sees Bors and Lyle begin hacking into the bear and stops them. "No, no, no, you're making a hash of it. Let a professional handle this." She goes to work, stripping the hide from the beast surprisingly quickly.

"As for what I'm going to do, this cave is a decent shelter and my tent's ruined anyway. I'll stay here, if you finish clearing the place out."

TurtleKing
2011-09-05, 04:33 PM
Skittles
Skittles comes over and starts to skin the bear as well. Stupid arcane. I can also skin. Learn my skills all through experience.
Survival, assisting or leading this. [roll0]

Frosty
2011-09-05, 05:00 PM
The woman sees Bors and Lyle begin hacking into the bear and stops them. "No, no, no, you're making a hash of it. Let a professional handle this." She goes to work, stripping the hide from the beast surprisingly quickly.

"As for what I'm going to do, this cave is a decent shelter and my tent's ruined anyway. I'll stay here, if you finish clearing the place out."

ooc - She takes the longbow and the dagger right?
Perception roll to try to ID potions: [roll0] [roll1]
The lady knight sniffs the vials, trying to see if she might notice any details that might help her identify the liquids. "If you wish to stay here, that is your choice. Even if you don't wish to divulge more details. won't you at least give us a name to address you by? You can call me Abby."

Bhaakon
2011-09-05, 05:30 PM
"Fay, the name is Fay." Says the woman as she checks over he returned knife and bow.

no luck with the potions

Kon Lesh
2011-09-06, 02:15 AM
"Well we only need the ears of the goblins" As he holds up the bag. "But butcher some of that meat for me Fay and I may help move them out of the cave. Haven't had bear in a long time."

Bhaakon
2011-09-06, 02:35 AM
Fay cuts a few slabs of bear and lays them over the coals of the nearest brazier. The smell of cooking meat soon fills the chamber.

Frosty
2011-09-06, 02:46 AM
Abigail pretends to be interested in the cooking meat, and goes to smell the bear meat. "We will help you, then we will leave. Should you need assistance, I will be staying in Tieup for the forseeable future, Ms. Fay."

stack
2011-09-06, 07:05 AM
"Well, I think I may go see to Honey. Probably not interested in bear meat. When we are done here, there is still good daylight left for hunting. We can always shelter here tonight." He mimes tipping a hat to the women before heading for the entrance. Eating a man-eater...doesn't seem right. That bear will be more grease than meat anyway.

Kon Lesh
2011-09-06, 02:01 PM
Lyle begins to work with the meat. Preparing it, then cooking it.

Profession cook [roll0]

Bhaakon
2011-09-06, 04:55 PM
The smell of cooked bear wafts trough the entire cavern as lyle sets even more pieces down to cook. Fay, still famished, slices off a mostly-cooked chunk and begins eating, nodding slightly in response to Bors's gesture.

Before Bors crosses the room, Honey bursts into the chamber himself, closely followed by another party of goblins. "You no Snod," yells a particularly burly specimen waiving a horse-chopper, "where high priest? What cooking?"

Inititative order:
1:Skittles
2:Goblins
3:Everyone else

No surprise round this time, so take full round actions.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/CMCavebattle2.jpg

TurtleKing
2011-09-06, 05:02 PM
Skittles
That would be Snod that is cooking. Other goblins dead and your next. Skittles pulls out his Horsechopper moving to in range for a charge.
Moves to S11. Should be out of range of charging...well mostly.

Bhaakon
2011-09-06, 05:30 PM
Enraged by the ratkin's response, the goblin with the oversized horsechopper lets out a brutal scream and charges across the cavern. Skittles easily sidesteps the ham-fisted blow, which digs a sizable gouge in the stone floor.

Another cohort of goblins draw dogslicers as they close with Honey and Bors, though they seem reticent to enter melee with a bear and hold off a step. The remaining group draws their bows and form a line near the entrance, firing a volley at the civilized invaders.

Two arrows fly towards Bors, catching him in the thigh and forearm. One of the two arrows aimed for Honey misses, but the other drives into the bear's torso.

Bors: -3 HP
Honey: -4 HP

map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/CMCavebattle2R1b.jpg

Ga: goblin archer
Gd: goblin w/ dogslicer
Gh: goblin with horsechopper

edit: fixed the map

Kon Lesh
2011-09-06, 06:45 PM
"What! Oh, more bounty!"

Lyle grabs his shield and moves across the cave trying to get into a better position.

double move action to get to K4

WrathOfLife
2011-09-06, 08:11 PM
Nox

Seeing the mass of bodies erupt from the cave entrance, Nox leaps to his feet, and husles over to help out skittles with his goblin.

"We really should have set a guard." snarls Nox as he attempts to get close to the goblin.

Double move to Q10, takes an AoO from Goblin.

stack
2011-09-06, 08:21 PM
"RRAARRGH" Honey leaps forward, teeth and claws flashing in the dim light as they seek goblin flesh. Pain arrows bad tear goblins hurt.

5 foot step to k-10, attack starting with the southern goblin and moving up if they fall

bite: attack [rollv]1d20+3[rollv]
damage [rollv]1d4+2[rollv]

claw 1 attack [rollv]1d20+3[rollv]
damage [rollv]1d3+2[rollv]

claw 2 attack [rollv]1d20+3[rollv]
damage [rollv]1d3+2[rollv]

also large creatures only take up 2 squares, right?

"Blasted creatures. This will be the end of you." Bors swings as his companion attacks, equally enraged, forgetting any thought of conciliation, but still aiming carefully to ensure his blow counts.

attack L-7 [rollv]1d20+6[rollv]
damage [rollv]2d6+7[rollv]

no power attack

fixed rolls in ooc

Frosty
2011-09-07, 12:53 AM
Abigail - HP 10/14, AC 12, saves 6/-1/1

More of the goblins that wanted to offer this woman to the now-deceased Snod! Well, Abigail won't have any of that. "RUN AWAY and leave here if you value your life!" she shouts as she charges forward, greatsword raised! Again, she purposes misses the first swing to give her enemies a chance to retreat, while still having the intimidation factor.

Abigail->ChargeToLoc ( 5 M );
Abigail->ChargeWithGreatsword ( goblin, 6 L );
Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Tyrael
2011-09-07, 09:39 AM
Sorry I haven't posted. Been busy with life and such.

Saren jogs forward, whipping out his pistol and firing off a resounding POW at one of the Goblins threatening his companion.

Move to O5, draw Pistol as part of move action, attack L6.
[roll0] vs Touch AC
[roll1]

Bhaakon
2011-09-07, 06:04 PM
Saren's pistol releases a lead ball with a cacophony of sound and fury signifying a near miss. Abigail follows suite. purposely pulling her swing to the give the goblin a chance to surrender. Predictably, it only laughs at her awkward hack, then jumps in under her swing and drives its dogslicer through her scale mail.

@Abigail
7 damage, goblin rolled a crit

Bors has no such qualms. A mighty swing of his earthbreaker smashes through a feeble dogslicer and pulps the goblin holding it.

Honey steps up and begins tearing through the line of goblins like a brunch buffet. He bend over the tears the first goblin's throat out with a savage snap of his jaws, then nearly tears out the guts of the second with a bat of his right paw. The third darts forward and scores a hit on Honey's shoulder while the bear attacks.

@honey
1 damage

Nox speeds across the cavern in support of Skittles. The goblin swings his big horsechopper around, drawing a ling of sparks from the barbarian's chain but not doing any damage.

Skittles and the goblin thrust their horsechopper at one another simultaneously, deflecting each others' attacks.

Lyle skirts the wall of the chamber, trying for a better angle of attack.

The goblin archers focus their attention on honey, but fear of hitting their allies spoils their aim.

Fay tries to string her longbow, to little success. Her spirits may have improved, but her physical exhaustion remains.

24 hours for everyone's next round actions

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/CMCavebattle2R2.jpg

stack
2011-09-07, 06:23 PM
Honey continues his rampage with dripping jaws and stained claws, the new wound only pushing him harder.
starting with wounded goblin, then the other, bite: attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

claw 1 attack [roll2]
damage [roll3]

claw 2 attack [roll4]
damage [roll5]

Bors uses the momentum of his swing to follow-through into an overhead arc, looking to drive the remaining goblin like a tent peg.

attack L-7 [roll6]
damage [roll7]

no power attack

TurtleKing
2011-09-07, 06:47 PM
Skittles
Seeing the strike by the goblin Skittles responds by hacking at the goblin in return.
Attack:[roll0]. Damage:[roll1].

Kon Lesh
2011-09-07, 07:27 PM
"Let's see how well you can fire once you are close to someone." Lyle yells as he charges the nearby archer.

charge to F9 and attack goblin
attack [roll0]
damage[roll1]
AC is 19

Frosty
2011-09-08, 01:25 AM
Abigail - HP 3/14, AC 12, saves 6/-1/1

Assuming that the goblin that had just run her through goes down to Bors, our unlucky paladin doesn't back down and quickly fixates on the next target. After all, she has her allies and a civilian to protect! Charging straight at a goblin archer, she makes no battle cry this time. The pain actually sharpens her concentration this time instead of detracting from it, and her horizontal slice at the neck strikes true!

Abigail->ChargeToLoc ( 10 G );
Abigail->ChargeWithGreatsword ( goblin, 11 F ); (Change target to goblin at 10 F if Lyle's hit didn't actually kill it)
Damage: [rollv]2d6+3

Frosty
2011-09-08, 01:26 AM
Rolling damage correctly this time: [roll0]

WrathOfLife
2011-09-08, 02:52 AM
Nox

Side stepping to flank the goblin, Nox brings his blade to bear against the goblins exposed back.

Power attacking!
[roll0]
[roll1]

Tyrael
2011-09-08, 10:01 AM
Reloading his pistol quickly in a flurry of movement, Saren fires again. Unfortunately, in his care to avoid hitting his friends, the shot goes wide, ricocheting off the floor with a PEWWW!

Reload as a move action, fire at L6 as a standard action.
[roll0] vs Touch AC
[roll1]

Wow, THE SAME ROLL TWICE IN A ROW!?

Bhaakon
2011-09-08, 06:08 PM
Nox and Skittles take mighty cuts at the goblin with the horsechopper, but their swings get tangled and miss badly. Their target fairs little better, once more digging a gouge in the floor as it lunges at the ratkin.

Saren reloads his pistol with practiced speed, and fires once more at the goblin who just stabbed Abigail. Again he misses badly, as the bullet ricochets at the creatures flapping feet.

The goblin doesn't live long to celebrate the miss, as Bors's next swing bends the thing over backwards, snapping its spine.

Honey continues working his way up the line of goblins tormenting him. A vicious bite finishes off the goblin he'd nearly eviscerated, while a pair of swipes with his claws strip the face off the one who had cut the bear a moment ago.

The path suddenly clear, Lyle and Abigail charge the pack of goblin archers. The fighter's shield clashes with the paladin's sideways slice, severing a goblin's head like a cleaver on a cutting block.

The next archer in line jumps back, bouncing a hastily aimed arrow off of Lyle's shield. The remaining two continue their assault on the suddenly wide open bear, and another shaft sprouts from Honey's shoulder.

@Honey
3 damage

map
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/CMCavebattle2R3.jpg

TurtleKing
2011-09-08, 06:18 PM
Skittles
Die you useless piece of trash! Skittles tries again to kill the goblin.
Attack: [roll0]. Damage [roll1].

Tyrael
2011-09-08, 06:42 PM
Move to N10, reload.

Saren jogs over to the closest goblin, reloading as he goes.

stack
2011-09-08, 08:46 PM
As the blood-stained bear gets ready to tear apart more goblins, Bors call out, "Get back from those archers, you are too wounded!"

Honey ignores him, blind with pain and rage, leaps forward, teeth bared.

charge to G-13,
bite attack on F-13 [roll0]
damage [roll1]

ac 15 from charge, hp 3 :smalleek:

Bors follows close after, afraid his friend's rage would be their undoing. He raises the blood-stained hammer once again.

charge to G-12
attack [roll2]
damage [roll3] i suppose rolling damage is pointless now, hit = kill for Bors on these goblins
AC 15 HP 9

WrathOfLife
2011-09-08, 10:34 PM
Nox

Struggling to get out of the way and deliver a decent attack Nox attempts to deliver a lower strike to the goblins legs.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Kon Lesh
2011-09-09, 10:50 AM
"And another is added to the loot." As Lyle steps closer and swings his shield again at the goblin.

5ft move to F10
Attack on E11 [roll0]
damage [roll1]
ac 21

Frosty
2011-09-09, 01:59 PM
Abigail - HP 3/14, AC 14, saves 6/-1/1

With the enemy numbers whittling down, Abigail presses the advantage to continue to momentum. She rushes past the archers to help set up a flank with Honey, thrusting her greatword at the goblin archer from behind! Her weapon strikes true as she runs the goblin thru!

Abigail->MoveToLoc ( 13 E );
Abigail->AttackWithGreatsword ( goblin, 12 F );
Damage: [roll1]

Bhaakon
2011-09-09, 05:21 PM
Skittles and Nox once more attack, this time with better coordination. The barbarian's falchion sweeps low, nearly taking one of the goblin's legs off, while the ranger's horsechopper comes down in a powerful arc, catching the now immobile goblin in the shoulder and nearly splitting him in two.

Honey and Bors charge the goblin archers, but the cavalier slips in a pool of the creatures' blood, nearly falling on his face in a stumbling dance that ruins his swing. Honey has no such ill fortune, but his many wounds are taking a toll, and his jaws snap shut inches from a dodging archer.

Seeing the ineffectual charge, Lyle and Abigail both jump into action to support their exposed comrades. A powerful shield bash brings down yet another goblin as the paladin's sword is driven through an archer.

The final goblins looks at the foot of bloody steel protruding from its friend's chest and throws down its bow. "Give up! Give up!" it screeches pathetically, "We leave Big Hole forever! No kill!"

270 xp each

I'll hold off on loot until you decide what to do with the last goblin.

Kon Lesh
2011-09-09, 07:13 PM
Lyle brings his shield up about to strike again then stops and lowers his shield in a defensive position. "Alright...so what should we do with you then? Another ear would be nice but you did give up, what to do?"

Frosty
2011-09-10, 12:34 AM
Abigail keeps her sword unsheathed, as much to protect herself and perhaps to intercede if any of her allies try to kill this last goblin. "Who's 'we'? Are there more of your people nearby? Speak quickly before my comrades decide to hurt you!"

ooc - is the Goblin speaking in common? Can we understand it?

Bhaakon
2011-09-10, 02:06 AM
yes, it's speaking in broken common

"Others, clan, old and young gobbos!" It stares at Honey in wide-eyed terror, "no hurt, no hurt! We go now!"

Frosty
2011-09-10, 02:14 AM
"Gobbo clan lived in this Big Hole? If you all leave, where will you live instead?"

WrathOfLife
2011-09-10, 02:37 AM
Nox

Watching the horrible break out of peaceful communication Nox grunts. "I'll never understand why we are supposed to show them mercy they won't show us." hearing about the clan however does rouse Nox's interest. Sliding up beside Skittles Nox mutters "Goblins don't need both ears to live ya know. We don't have to chase them away if they stay hidden for the season. We get the coin, move on. No harm done."

TurtleKing
2011-09-10, 02:49 AM
Skittles
No more harm than losing an ear. Skittles fingers what is left of his right ear. Mmm smells good though don't have to cook it. Raw is just fine. Skittles moves over to the grill.

Bhaakon
2011-09-10, 03:38 AM
"Go toward sunrise! More forest meat, less tall people!" The cowering wretch answers Abigail, grabbing his ears as he hears Nox and Skittles.

stack
2011-09-10, 09:15 AM
Bors drops his weapon and works to restrain Honey, who seems more interested in eating the goblin than parley. One he has moved the bear farther away into the cave, he sets to binding their wounds. Probably shouldn't kill the gobbo. Can't look at it yet though. Hope the lady comes out alright, help her if I have to.

Frosty
2011-09-10, 10:31 AM
Turning to Nox, "Better that they leave than to stay and cause further problems."

Back to the goblin, "How do we know you'll leave and not come back? What if you lie? Convince us before my comrades decide to take your ear!"

Tyrael
2011-09-10, 12:39 PM
"Let him go? Are you nuts?!" Saren asks Nox. "This little bastard's going to jail if I have anything to say about it. He and his buddies broke the law, same as any other kidnapping criminal. Lemme arrest him!" Saren takes out a pair of manacles and clicks them open hopefully.

Bhaakon
2011-09-10, 04:06 PM
"Why come back? Kill Snod, kill clan guard. Can't fight tall people now, must go. Not to jail, tall people kill gobbo."

stack
2011-09-10, 06:01 PM
Bors listens from across the cavern, then shouts his thoughts. "If they hired us to collect ears, they aren't interested in prisoners. Either we kill them or let them go, takin' 'em back is just a slower death. And I'm not for killing them that surrender, not if there is a promise we can trust." A kobold sheriff...bah, its a wonder he's not been strung-up himself.

Kill smelly bad goblin hurt Honey bad. Honey growls audibly with death in his eyes toward the goblin.

Frosty
2011-09-10, 11:49 PM
"So Fay...still want to live alone in caves like this? These goblins might leave, but who knows what else might try to move in?"

Bhaakon
2011-09-11, 12:35 AM
"Compared to the Familiars, I'll take my chances with the beasties."

Bhaakon
2011-09-11, 04:58 PM
"Go get others, yes? Leave now. Leave" The goblin begins edging towards the exit.

Kon Lesh
2011-09-12, 08:06 AM
Lyle begins to collect the ears of the fallen goblins. "Yeah, jail would not be the way to go. So we either let him go or kill him...But I still say that we should grab the ear first. Or if he knows where another group of predators are, maybe we can let him go without giving a donation. Mmmm, lets see here. One, two, *mumble, mumble* 15 goblin ears so far and snob's. Wonder if we can get this one to be worth two." As Lyle looks at the bear's ear.

stack
2011-09-12, 08:38 AM
"Information could speed our hunt, if it can be trusted." Bors adds from the far side of the angry mound of blood-matted fur.

no spells means no prestidigitation :smallfrown:

Frosty
2011-09-12, 11:23 AM
Abigail stops the goblin. "I think this is what we should do. You're going to take us to the rest of your people. I promise that I won't attack your people if they don't attack us. Your people will tell us about other dangerous predators in this area, and where we might find most of them. Then, you and your people will leave this area peacefully. Understand?"

Diplomacy roll to convince the goblin of my sincerity to not hurt his people: [roll0]

Bhaakon
2011-09-12, 04:17 PM
"Yes, yes, me show. Good big people no hurt," promises the cringing little goblin.

It leads you out f the chamber and down the branch of the cavern you hadn't taken earlier. The path is twisting, and narrows in a few places so that you have to walk single-file. Eventually you emerge into another large chamber, a beam of light lancing down from a natural chimney near the center. 15 more goblins are cowering there, mostly very young, old, or injured. Your escort barks a few words in goblin, telling the others to begin packing, then he walks you over to a nearby wall. It's covered in drawings, like most of the goblin chamber, but this one seems to be an illustrated map of the area. "Angry digger here," the creature points to a crude doodle some distance from the cavern, "and this is wolf den," he points to another drawing, not far form the first.

Sense motive DC 15
The goblin isn't lying, but he's not telling the whole truth either

Knowledge (Nature) DC 10
The "angry diggers" are oddly-proportioned badgers

Loot
Since you've (apparently) decided not to kill the last one:
4x shortbow (small)
80x arrows
9x dogslicer (small)
8x leather armor (small)
1x chain shirt (small)
1x MW horsechopper (medium)
100 gp

stack
2011-09-12, 04:52 PM
sense motive
[roll0]

know nature untrained
[roll1]

Bors takes stock of the chamber while listening to the prisoner. Honey waited outside the narrow passage, which was probably for the better given his current state of mind regarding goblins. "Angry digger...oh, right. Should be a bounty. Very helpful." He considers clapping the goblin on the back before remembering his and Honey's recent wounds.

Frosty
2011-09-13, 01:23 AM
Sense Motive: [roll0]
Knowledge (Nature): [roll1]

Abigail can't make heads or tails of what the drawings are supposed to represent. "Angry...digger eh? Can you tell us a bit more about these diggers? We're looking for dangerous creatures that might hurt nearby people. How are these diggers dangerous?"

Bhaakon
2011-09-13, 01:37 AM
"Angry digger kill anything come close."

TurtleKing
2011-09-13, 01:52 AM
Skittles
Yum. Snod was good. Lets see what we got here?Skittles goes over examining the drawings and assess what the gobbers mean by the creatures.
Know Nature [roll0].

Frosty
2011-09-13, 02:11 AM
"Angry digger kill anything come close."
"Then how come you and yours are fine? You all stay far away from it?"

Bhaakon
2011-09-13, 03:34 AM
The goblin gives Abigail a confused look,"you ask for scary animals. Course gobbos stay away, we not stupid."

stack
2011-09-13, 06:53 AM
"It's a badger-ish creature. Nasty buggers, like I said, they should bring a bounty." He addresses the captive, "How long do you need to pack-up?"

Bhaakon
2011-09-13, 07:32 AM
"Not long, not long. Please patience, please," says the goblin. There's plenty of junky or bodged together equipment and furnishings around the cave, it appears that they've been raiding the town's rubbish piles, but the goblins can't carry much with them. In a few minutes they're loaded down with food, blankets, and selected 'treasures.'

Kon Lesh
2011-09-13, 08:04 AM
"Hahahe. So badgers are scary and humans arn't? Afraid that they will dig right through you? Hahaha!" Lyle laughs for a short while longer at the goblin's fear of badgers.

No knowledge nature so I have no idea about the badger, only going off of what Stack said.
Sense motive [roll0]

stack
2011-09-13, 09:31 AM
After the goblins leave, Bors addresses the party. "Honey and I took some nasty scrapes. Might be wise to lay-up for a bit an' heal. Dunno how you all feel."

The bear remains somewhat surly until Bors proffers a swig from his flask of mead, improving his mood greatly.

Bhaakon
2011-09-13, 08:24 PM
If you have any more questions for the goblins, ask them now.

Their packing finished, the goblins file out of the cavern with their meager possessions. You watch them long enough to make sure that they're heading East. You can't be sure where they're going, but they won't be bothering the shepherds of these particular fields.

For "defeating" the remainder of the goblin clan and saving Fay, you get 500 xp each. If I've done my math correctly, you should each have 1105 xp in total.

Frosty
2011-09-14, 12:11 AM
"We cleared them out without any more bloodshed than is necessary. That is good. Speaking of blood...we are mighty hurt ourselves...and perhaps we should also spend some time here resting before we clear out the badgers? I do not tire easily, so I will stand watch."

stack
2011-09-14, 07:17 AM
"No need to take the watch alone. We can all share a turn, miss. Now, anyone now a bit about field medicine? Honey is in rough shape, a day of rest would do a good bit of cure, with good hands helping."

Goblins drop, nasty goblins, taste bad. Mead good. Nice cave. Live in cave? The much more contented Honey rubs his head on Bors's leg, mugging for another drink.

Kon Lesh
2011-09-14, 02:14 PM
"I also feel quite well, so I can take a watch as well. As for health stuff, I only know the very basics. If need be I can help some."

aid another heal [roll0]

Frosty
2011-09-14, 03:29 PM
"Let's head back to whre Fay is. We might as well protect her as well for the night while we rest. I have basic proficiency in first aid, and I can help tend to the rest of you while I keep watch."

TurtleKing
2011-09-14, 06:03 PM
Skittles
Well lets go. Sjittles goes back over to the other chamber of the cave.

Frosty
2011-09-15, 10:17 AM
Abigail also heads back, and explains to Fay that there are other critters deeper in the cave. "We'll be camping here for the next day to rest up before re try to clear out the critters. You're exhausted, so you probably shouldn't stand watch."

The knight brings out a healing kit from her pack to prepare to give some of her more injured allies some restive care for the next day.

stack
2011-09-15, 10:49 AM
Bors spares some water to clean his and Honey's wounds further after stripping of both their armors, then makes camp in the first cavern near the fire.
"That was a proper job of it, no mistake. Saved our fine new friend from a wicked end, drove the gobbos out. Took some bounty marks. A good days work, I say! Shame there's no proper tavern here to celebrate in. Have to make my meager stash last, too, so no more liquor for you."
He pats Honey, who has sprawled out to take up an impressive amount of space. He seems to have put aside his aversion to Abigail and is greatly enjoying the extra attention.

Dead smell lady nice, help Honey, no more bad bad arrows. Good lady Abbey-gale, Honey friend. The beast makes as close to a contented purr as he is capable of, a low growl that somehow manages to come across as friendly (aided by his head rubbing Abigail's leg).

"He's taken a shine to you. Always been a good judge of character. Otherwise why would he stay with me?" The big man chuckles to himself.

Tyrael
2011-09-15, 12:22 PM
Saren plops down by the fire. Tearing a small strip off his bandanna, he binds the small slash on his arm with intense concentration. Finally, the diminutive sheriff leans back and stretches out on the ground, tilting his wide-brimmed hat down over his eyes with a sign. "Saren needs a little shut-eye," he mutters.

Frosty
2011-09-15, 04:53 PM
Abigail gives her allies, especially the badly-injured Honey, some badly-needed medical attention. "You brave bear you...taking all that arrow fire. You really took a lot of hits for the team. Here, let me pull that arrowhead out and soothe the wounds..."

She appreciates the fact that the bear is warming up to her. Bors cannot imagine how much this lifts the paladin's spirits. She is not a doctor by trade, however, and she does need some help.

When she has some time and privacy, she also starts sewing herself up.

Bhaakon
2011-09-16, 01:01 AM
You make yourselves comfortable in the chamber, laying out your bedrolls and feeding wood into one of the braziers to keep the fire going. Abigail moves among you, stitching wounds, applying poultices, and replacing bandages. She even finds the time to find a private spot and stitch up her own injuries. Fay does her best to slice up the remaining bear meat and dry it by the fire into a crude jerky before succumbing to exhaustion.

By the next afternoon you are surprisingly refreshed and recovered, Abigail's ministrations working wonders on your various traumas. They'll surely leave scars, but are in no danger of reopening.

Everyone back to full health

Nox is not so fortunate. Snod's bite nicked an important artery, which continues to slowly seep all afternoon. The barbarian, loath to admit weakness, hides the flow and refuses care from Abigail for "a mere flesh wound." Some time during the night the small tear enlarges into a gushing fountain of arterial spray. The big man bleeds out in his sleep before anyone notices the pool of blood soaking his blanket.

TurtleKing
2011-09-16, 01:10 AM
Skittles
Well that is one less of us. Might as well not to let things go to waste. Skittles starts rummaging through Nox's items laying it out to inspect. Trying to be subtle about a few items of allocating to himself.
Sleight of Hand on items like some of the food and money. [roll0].

Bhaakon
2011-09-16, 01:19 AM
@everyone
DC 18 opposed perception check to spot Skittles' "reallocation" of Nox's belongings.

Frosty
2011-09-16, 02:26 AM
Perception [roll0]

I'll make an actual post in the morning.

stack
2011-09-16, 07:05 AM
perception [roll0] (Honey won't roll as he doesn't really pay attention to these things and is likely asleep anyway.)

"What? Poor fool should have said something. Blasted waste, lasting through the battle and then falling to his own cursed pride. Give me a hand, we'll get him outside. If we had a shovel...have to use stones." The big man is shaken by the sudden and unexpected loss, wringing his hands and staring at the floor.

Frosty
2011-09-16, 12:39 PM
I'm going to take some creative/artistic liberties here, and it really makes sense in context and given the fact that we're close to level 2.
The diligent paladin works on the others all night, making sure everyone who would receive her care is comfortable and bandaged up. If she could be exhausted, she would be. As she takes whatever time she has to herself to stitch herself up, she doesn't quite notice the proud barbarian slowly losing his grip on life...until it is too late.

Abigail was happy just hour earlier, petting Honey. Now, she looks like she wants to shed tears, but is holding back? Lack of tear production has its benefits as well as its drawbacks. It doesn't quite look like she's managing to keep her emotions in check as she falls to her knees next to Nox's corpse. Pressing both of her hands firmly against the offending wound on the thigh, she screams loudly a phrase in Celestial, her face full of anguish.

Her palms suddenly start glowing...and glowing very brightly! The silvery white glow quickly gets to the point where it completely fills the cavern with nothing but whiteness, momentarily blinding everyone but surprisingly enough not causing anyone's eyes to hurt. When the light recedes, you all see Abigail's hands slowly stop glowing, and the wound on Nox's corpse has disappeared. All to no avail, however, as Nox is still quite dead.

Still looking at the corpse, she says, "Bors, this is MY responsibility. I should've been more perceptive or been more insistent. The least I can do is take responsibility for the body. I'll move him myself. You prepare the stones." The grim paladin hoists the coprse in her arms (minus any stuff Skittles 'reappropriated'), and starts walking out slowly at about 5 feet per 6 seconds.

Samus Abigail has regained the Morph Ball Lay on Hands functionality, but her recent massive expenditures leaves her unable to repeat her feat again until she levels.

Kon Lesh
2011-09-16, 01:20 PM
first perception then rest of my post

Lyle watches as the rest of the group hangs over Nox. Lyle seems to show little emotion, he is just silent for the morning. People will know that this is slightly odd for him because of his continuous want to talk even to just himself. He does not even offer to help to move the body. He just sits in front of the fire, preparing some of the bear meat and his rations.

cooking check [roll]1d20+5

Bhaakon
2011-09-17, 03:57 AM
Abigail slowly hauls Nox's body outside the cave. Finding a good spot, she and the others quietly build a simple cairn over the barbarian's body. It's not much to look at, but it should keep the wolves away.

Fay, much recovered with ample food and rest, has begun shouldered her bow and prepares to leave. "I'm going to what's left of my camp and see what I can salvage." She says, "If you need to see me again, I'll probably be here."

@everyone
So are you going to bury Nox with his equipment, or what?

@Skittles
you pilfer 8 gp and 5 lb of food from Nox's body (or less, if you don't want that much)

stack
2011-09-17, 09:09 AM
Standing over the cairn, sweating profusely from carrying the stones, Bors wipes his brow. Glancing at Abigail, "Miss, would you like to say a few words? 'Fraid I don't have any for the occasion, not suitable, you know?"

He continues to stare at the earth, guilty for both failing his companion, then for striping his armor and weapons. Just a waste to leave them to rust. Won't do him no good anyhow. Maybe we can take them to family?

"Did he...did he have family, in Tie-up? If so, we should give them his things."

TurtleKing
2011-09-17, 10:39 AM
Skittles
Skittles pockets the money and some the food. He wanted to be subtle so making it look like the guy had no food would raise suspicions. Skittles also took the better made Horsechopper for himself. He doesn't feel bad for taking the guys stuff its just survival.
Only took 2 lbs of food.

Frosty
2011-09-17, 12:35 PM
I'm surprised there's not a bigger reaction from the others after her light show. Abigail has never told others or shown that she has any healing capabilities. All she has said of herself is that she's a holy warrior (holy warriors can mean any number of things) trying to train and also to do some good.

Abigail doesn't say very much at Bor's request. "An unfitting end for a poor soul, guided by a blind shepherd who thinks she has one eye. May you fare better in the afterlife."

She doesn't take any of Nox's belongings, and will glare at anyone who tries to take anything without consulting her first.

To Fay, "Stay safe. We're going to try to clear out more of the savage animals in this cave while you're gone."

Kon Lesh
2011-09-17, 07:44 PM
"Only family that I knew that he had was his grog. It might not be your way miss but it is proper to celebrate a man's life in the way that he lived it. May a toast be offered up to him in the way that he would desire to be remembered....With his best drink. He would not want it to be wasted."

If Lyle is not stopped he will begin to get everyone a small glass of the grog and offer them around.

Would people have made a hole big enough for a barrel of grog?

stack
2011-09-17, 10:10 PM
Bors nods, then takes the proffered drink, lifting it high. "Aye, that does sounds like him. A toast then, to our late friend. May his battles be over and his rest peaceful. Here's to you, Nox. If you have any family, we'll see they know you died fighting, and they will get your share too. Only right."

He visibly struggles to speak. Even though he knew the man little, he is still shaken by his sudden death.

Frosty
2011-09-17, 11:02 PM
Abigail does not object to the passing out of grog and drinking to remember the dead.

TurtleKing
2011-09-17, 11:06 PM
Skittles comes over and takes the proffered drink. To Nox never feeling the pain of hunger again. After that Skittles takes a long swig before passing it on. Don't let his stuff go to waste see of his you want or need such as the food.

Kon Lesh
2011-09-18, 10:13 AM
"Well there is a barrel of it. And even though he might of drank all of it at once, I do not. We have stuff to do and I don't think being drunk would be for the best. But saving it for later might be. Anyway, where to next?"

Apparently, Lyle now has a barrel of grog.

TurtleKing
2011-09-18, 10:27 AM
Anybody going to grab his food and anything else he drank? Shame for it to be wasted.

Frosty
2011-09-18, 05:51 PM
Abigail walks away, not participating in the looting and not stopping it either.

Bhaakon
2011-09-18, 07:28 PM
The group, sans Abigail, looks through Nox's equipment. The barbarian seems oddly bereft of gold and light on rations, but the great lush was always more worried about stocking his liquor cabinet than his larder or his money pouch.

Take what you want from his gear, then lets get going. I doubt I'm the only one who thinks this is starting to drag.

Frosty
2011-09-18, 07:59 PM
Abigail is more than ready to smash some dangerous animal's head in right now. In fact, she may be a bit reckless today.

stack
2011-09-18, 08:46 PM
The drink done and the sun rising high, Bors turns to the land in front of them. "Nothing for it but to continue on. Come on, let us do our work."

Honey nudges Abigail's leg, gently pushing her away from the cairn. Bors scratches him behind the ear and leads him away from the paladin before cinching the girth of his saddle and mounting, slinging his hammer over his shoulder as the pair turns to amble away from the cave.

Frosty
2011-09-18, 11:41 PM
"The badger-creatures are deeper inside the cave. We need to clear it." Abigail also scritches Honey's head.

TurtleKing
2011-09-18, 11:48 PM
Skittles
Yes lets go so we can collect our bounty. Though you might want to let me lead. I have alot of experience underground. Skittles snorts as he proceeds to the front.

Kon Lesh
2011-09-19, 02:44 AM
"Alright, just look out for badgers. Hahaha, goblins afraid of badgers, I just don't believe it." Lyle walks just behind and to the right of Skittles with a small smirk on his face.

Bhaakon
2011-09-19, 02:55 AM
@Abigail
actually, the badgers were "some distance from the cavern," not in it.

You follow the crude map in the goblin warren, trekking down the little canyon the cave was in until it meets up with broader valley. From there you follow a low ridge line until it's pierced by a stream swollen with spring runoff. You trace the watercourse through a cleft in the ridge, squeezing between the knee-deep flow of ice-cold water and the nearly vertical walls it has cut in the hillside. The party halts where the narrow defile spreads out into a lightly wooded vale, knowing that your prey should be close ahead.

If you're going to plan anything, now is your chance

DC 15 Perception
You find occasional gouges dug in the soft sedimentary stone of the defile's walls. Some of them reach as high as a human's shoulder.

TurtleKing
2011-09-19, 02:59 AM
Skittles
Skittles goes on ahead and takes out his Heavy Crossbow loading it as well. He then waits to see if the badgers come out.

stack
2011-09-19, 07:01 AM
perception [roll0]

Bors leans in the saddle to run his fingers across a gouge in the wall. "Look here! If these critters did this... Nasty beasts. Maybe we don't just charge ahead?"

He studies the narrow pass. "Maybe we can lure them back here, into the cleft. Only have to fight one or two that way, not get surrounded." He scratches his beard and looks at the others.

"Lady Abigail, back in the cavern you made a bit of a light show. Magic's not my bailiwick, but I know it when I see it. You know any spells that would help here?"

Kon Lesh
2011-09-19, 10:54 AM
Lyle looks at the gouge that Bors pointed out. "Wow. Guess the goblins weren't too stupid after all. We better get something good for that winner's prize."

"I could lure those things here. If goblins can't hit me then animals shouldn't either. And Honey had a bit of a hard day yesterday."

Frosty
2011-09-19, 12:03 PM
Abigail - HP 14/14, AC 14, saves 6/-1/1

Abigail looks at the gouges being pointed to. She doe stay at the front of the group, no matter who else is also in front with her. "Does anyone know why there are gouges so high in the rock walls? As in why the badgers would gouge at them here? Dont badgers tend to live burrowed under ground?"

To Bors, "You know well that not a single drop of traditional arcana blood runs through my veins. The only 'magic' I have are the abilities that the planes of Good choose to grant me, and currently..." The warrioress looks at her palm and focuses intently, and the best she can manage is a faint, almost non-existent glow that cannot do anything, including act as illumination. "...I am apparently unworthy to repeat the previous feat. I am sorry, we will solve this problem much like the way we solved yesterday's problems. My status as a conduit of Good will have to wait."

TurtleKing
2011-09-19, 06:25 PM
Skittles
Be glad you aren't arcane. As for what could make those.
Knowledge Nature [roll0].

Bhaakon
2011-09-19, 06:33 PM
With most of the group jockeying for position or discussing strategy, the impatient Skittles slips ahead unnoticed to search out the badgers. He sneaks a short way along the cliff side, cranking his crossbow, until he comes to a small outcropping. His bolt set and ready to fire, he springs around the corner, hoping to surprise his prey.

Instead he sees nothing but a small clearing and an opening a few feet across dug in the sheer wall of loose stone. He's about to turn around and head back when a pair of snarling, clawing, furry balls of fury shoot out of the burrow like balls from a double-barreled musket. The startled Ratkin barely has the time to register how large the creatures are, easily as big as a black bear, before they're nearly upon him.

DC 12 knowledge (nature)
These creatures are dire badgers, comparable in strength and power to a bear, but just as ornery as their normal-sized kin. It becomes immediately obvious why the goblins were afraid of them

DC 17 knowledge (nature)
A wounded dire badger will fly into a fit of rage until it or its opponents are dead. This rage slightly improves its power and endurance, but also makes it reckless and easier to hit

Map and order of attack
Surprise round: Badgers went first, so Skittles needs to take a move or standard action. No one else can act.

1st and subsequent rounds: Saren, Badgers, then everyone else

Sorry about the crappy map, the site I usually use was having issues
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Badger1.jpg
Gray: cliff/impassable
Brown: tree
Blue: stream, counts as difficult terrain (double movement cost, can't charge)
Black: Badger's den

TurtleKing
2011-09-19, 07:33 PM
Skittles
AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! Too big! Skittles backpedals quickly to getaway from the two Dire Badgers as not being rushed at.
Skittles moves to O9.

Bhaakon
2011-09-19, 08:31 PM
@Saren:
you're up, 24 hours

Bhaakon
2011-09-21, 12:25 AM
Avoiding consumption by over-sized wildlife being the better part of valor, Skittles beats a hasty retreat towards his comrades. The Ratkin's scream freezes the others save the ever alert Saren, who pulls his pistol and sprints forward through the freezing creek for a better view.

The badger stay close on Skittles' tail, snapping at his heels as he leads them right back to the small defile and the rest of the group.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Badger2.jpg

24 hours for everyone to take their next full round actions

stack
2011-09-21, 07:15 AM
Bors is surprised by the size of the badgers, though it does explain the gouges in the rock. As they move forward, he keeps a hand on Honey. "Steady boy, let them come to us...NOW!"

Digging in his heels, man and bear surge forward, hammer swinging and claws flashing toward the particularly ill tempered burrower.

5' step to Q-8 (using the top left corner)
Bors attack (w/ power attack) [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Honey
bite [roll2]
damage [roll3]

claw [roll4]
damage [roll5]

claw [roll6]
damage [roll7]

Tyrael
2011-09-21, 11:08 AM
Whoops, sorry. Life has been busy for me. I see you took my turn for me. Where did I move to?

Also, obligatory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

Kon Lesh
2011-09-21, 11:28 AM
Excuse me. Sorry Honey...Abigal...AHA." Lyle says as he moves around the line of his allies. Then swing his shield against the closes badger.

Move action to Q7 which provokes an AoO (since this was before I attacked my AC is only 20)
standard action to attack with combat expertise [roll0]
damage [roll1]

TurtleKing
2011-09-21, 11:55 AM
Skittles
Skittles ducks behind Abigail before firing off his Heavy Crossbow at the badger that was beside a moment before. After he puts his Heavy Crossbow away.
Swift action for the 5ft step. Standard action to shoot: attack- [roll0], damage [roll1]. Target is the Dire Badger in O8. Move action to stow away Heavy Crossbow.

Frosty
2011-09-21, 11:59 AM
Abigail - HP 14/14, AC 14, saves 6/-1/1

Abigail stands by Skittle's side, not wanting to let him possibly get surrounded by the badgers. "You're not hurting my friends!" she shouts as she swings her greatsword downwards at the badger that has been injured, trying to finish it off.
Abigail->AttackWithGreatsword ( 8P, Dire Badger );
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Bhaakon
2011-09-21, 07:56 PM
Skittles takes cover behind Abigail, then spins to launch a bolt at the perusing badger. The bolt sinks into the animal's chest up to the fletching, but only seems to anger it. The berserk beast throws itself at Skittles, tearing a chunk out of the Ratkin's arm and clawing a gouge in his belly

@skittles
8 damage

Lyle squeezes between his allies and the badgers, deflecting a viscous bite with his shield. Abigail and Lyle both take swings at the beast, but it jumps forward and avoids both attacks.

Seeing his companions whiff, Bors nudges Honey forward and swings mightily. His earthbreaker comes down on the badger, shattering bone and stunning the beast as his mount finishes it off with tooth and claw.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee498/Bhaakon/Badger3.jpg

Kon Lesh
2011-09-21, 08:14 PM
Lyle continues to run around the group, getting to the back of the badger. He then swings his shield to hit the badger

move to N8
attack (I think that I am flanking. If i am then add +2.)[roll0]
damage [roll1]

stack
2011-09-21, 10:23 PM
Seeing the first go down, Bors guides Honey, stepping over the fallen foe and flanking the fearsome fiend fighting his friends. He holds back his strength, guiding the hammer carefully, while Honey tears in with his accustomed gusto, the pain brought by his lack of caution the previous day forgotten in the rush of battle.

5' step to P-7
Bors attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Honey
bite [roll2]
damage [roll3]

claw [roll4]
damage [roll5]

claw [roll6]
damage [roll7]

TurtleKing
2011-09-21, 10:50 PM
Skittles
Wanting to make the beast pay for that slash Skittles backs up pulling out his new Horsechopper taking a swing so as to finish it off.
Steps back to Q10 as a 5ft step. Attacking the remaining Dire Badger. Opening Volley is in affect so +4 to my melee attack. Attack: [roll0]. Damage: [roll1]. Oh yea Skittles is at 5 hp.

Bhaakon
2011-09-21, 11:14 PM
The remaining badger dodges Lyle's shield bash as the fighter steps over its fallen companion, and similarly avoids Bors's swing as the cavalier guides his mount forward.

Honey and Skittles have more success, the bear latches on to the badger's foreleg, giving the ranger an opening to drop his shiny new horsechopper on the irate beast's neck. The badger's thickly corded muscles stop the blade just short of a clean decapitation, but it's more than enough to do the job.

@everyone
240 xp each. Your total should be 1345, enough to reach level 2

Frosty
2011-09-22, 01:44 AM
Even though the fight was short, Abigail still breathes hard as she immediately goes to take a look at Skittle's gouged belly. "It...it doesn't LOOK life threatening, but looks can be decieving, as we all saw from recent events. I think we've got enough ears to get a good payment. Let us take the ears quickly and then get back to town. I will treat your wounds properly there, Skittles, in a clean environment."

Kon Lesh
2011-09-22, 01:50 AM
"Wait! you don't want to check that cave over there. There could be more stuff in there. We should at least take a look. How many of these giant badgers could there be? And Skittles has his crossbow. He can stay in the back. It isn't like we will be attacked by anything with range." Lyle says as he stands up after drawing his ax and taking the proper ear from the two badgers.

TurtleKing
2011-09-22, 02:36 AM
Skittles
Yes lets check out that cave after someone wraps me up here. If there are little ones I could try to make them friendly. Matter fact let me see those potions. One of them might me a healing potion. Skittles puts away his weapon. After that he gets the potions from who ever is holding them to see what they are.
Perception: [roll0]. If needed to have two rolls then Perception: [roll1].

Bhaakon
2011-09-22, 02:48 AM
Skittles works the corks from the two potion vials, his whiskers quivering as he sniffs the underside of each. Learning nothing, he carefully sips a few drops from each container to taste the contents. Both liquids are viscous and bitter, but their effects remain a mystery.

stack
2011-09-22, 07:05 AM
Bors dismounts, wiping off his hammer while Honey licks his claws. "Good job boy, to all of you as well. Dangerous critters. Probably unnatural, can't have them bothering good farm folk. Honey and I will go on ahead, see what he can smell, while the patching gets done."

He swings his leg over Honey again. "Let me know if you catch wind of anything. Nose to the dirt!"

Eat badgery-things? Later? Good bear wants mead and meat. Hehehe, rhymes. Honey funny bear.

So, we level when we rest, right?

TurtleKing
2011-09-22, 07:39 AM
Skittles
Potions are still a mystery. Might want to wrap me considering the smell of blood will draw them to me. Well hopefully the badgers first but still. Oh if you can pack some snow in as well that isn't dirty. Help keep from feeling it.

Frosty
2011-09-22, 09:31 AM
"Fine, explore if you must. Skittles is staying HERE to get patched up. This gouge in the stomach is deep."

Abigail appears insistent that the wounded remain under her care, and she starts bandaging the ratkin up and cleaning the wounds.

Heal check (no real game effects): [roll0]

"Bah...these wounds are *too* deep to treat here effectively in the field."

TurtleKing
2011-09-22, 10:09 AM
Hey anyone else want to try identifing these potions. Though if need be can just drink them. My people are pretty hardy.

stack
2011-09-22, 10:15 AM
Bors shrugs and rides over, scooping up the potions and giving them a sip.

perception [roll0]
[roll1]
Too bad Honey can't talk, his perception is much better.

Frosty
2011-09-22, 10:24 AM
"Drinking strange potions could lead to undesired side effects. Be careful."

When Honey has 4 HD, put his ability score increase in Int! Eventually you can teach him to write.

Kon Lesh
2011-09-22, 11:42 AM
Lyle decides to let the rest of the group talk about Skittle and his injuries. He slowly walks to be in front of the cave and then slowly approaches. His shield is raised just in case something comes running out.

Walk over to P3 then over to C3 and then approach with total defense which gives a +4 to AC not stacking with combat expertise. So my AC is 24 for the approach.
perception to look into the cave [roll0]

Bhaakon
2011-09-22, 02:02 PM
Bors takes a nip from each potion, rolling each around on his tongue to try to judge their effects. The second potion seems to be a minor healing draught, but he remains unsure of the first (though it certainly tastes similar).

1 potion of cure light wounds

Lyle approaches the badger's den with all due caution. Bones and mostly-eaten carcasses litter the ground in front of the opening, along with the occasional broken and useless dagger or arrow. You can see that the burrow goes back several yards into the hillside, but it seems to be empty.