PDA

View Full Version : Newest Arc book title guessing game; Ready, GO!

Absol197
2011-08-29, 05:36 PM
Well, now that we're a decent way through the newest book (a couple hundred pages; probably about halfway), what do we think the title of this arc will be in book form?

Any guesses, likely or not, accepted!

My personal contribution, although it's not very good, is "Tyrinarian Nights."

Gift Jeraff
2011-08-29, 05:51 PM
"Unjust Deserts" is still my guess.

Oppolo
2011-08-29, 05:53 PM
Since Tarquin will probably be the main villain of the book, how about Family Duels? :smallbiggrin:

Sunken Valley
2011-08-29, 05:58 PM
Still too early to say.

ThePhantasm
2011-08-29, 05:58 PM
Haven't all except "Start of Darkness" had D&D related titles / puns? I suspect this one will too.

Absol197
2011-08-29, 06:03 PM
Haven't all except "Start of Darkness" had D&D related titles / puns? I suspect this one will too.

Most have been puns, usually on classic works:

"Start of Darkness" -- "Heart of Darkness"
"On the Origin of PCs" -- "On the Origin of Species"
"Can't Beat the Paladin Blues" -- "Can't Beat the Summertime Blues"
"No Cure for the Paladin Blues" -- "No Cure for the Summertime Blues"
"War and XPs" -- "War and Peace"
"Don't Split the Party" -- Not a pun.
"Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales" -- "Snips, Snails, and Puppy-Dog Tails"

Of course, I'm pretty sure that the Giant said that he wanted to change things up recently, which is why he went with "Don't Split the Party" instead of "A Tale of Two Parties." So we might see something without such a pun this time around, too.

Nimrod's Son
2011-08-29, 10:32 PM
My personal contribution, although it's not very good, is "Tyrinarian Nights."
The Tyrinaria thing was a big reveal, he's not going to undercut that by including it in the title of the book.

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-29, 10:56 PM
The Tyrinaria thing was a big reveal, he's not going to undercut that by including it in the title of the book.

Its a cool pun though. :smallsmile: How about Pokey-men the First Movie?

Dr.Epic
2011-08-29, 11:00 PM
How about Pokey-men the First Movie?

Well, it's not a movie, and what's the reference to the comic?

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-29, 11:03 PM
Well, it's not a movie, and what's the reference to the comic?

That Ian said Pokey-men once. :smallamused: Any more reference needed?

orrion
2011-08-29, 11:04 PM
Most have been puns on classic literature:

Of course, I'm pretty sure that the Giant said that he wanted to change things up recently, which is why he went with "Don't Split the Party" instead of "A Tale of Two Parties." So we might see something without such a pun this time around, too.

Er, that was "No Cure for the Paladin Blues".

Dr.Epic
2011-08-29, 11:05 PM
That Ian said Pokey-men once. :smallamused:

Then why wasn't War and XPs called Sexy Shoeless God of War because Belkar said it once?

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-29, 11:10 PM
Then why wasn't War and XPs called Sexy Shoeless God of War because Belkar said it once?

Because Belkar isn't Draketooth in disguise. I hope.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-29, 11:13 PM
Because Belkar isn't Draketooth in disguise. I hope.

No, but Belkar's parallel universe Soon sent back in time and cloned that's part cyborg. (If we're putting forth crazy theories that probably aren't true.):smallwink:

CloakedDancer
2011-08-29, 11:13 PM
Just Desserts. Blood, Sweat and Tears.

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-29, 11:20 PM
No, but Belkar's parallel universe Soon sent back in time and cloned that's part cyborg. :smallwink:

Then Roy must be Sabine and Hinjo's child raised by the dirt farmers! Thank you Dr. Epic, for reminding me why I love this forum.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-29, 11:29 PM
Then Roy must be Sabine and Hinjo's child raised by the dirt farmers! Thank you Dr. Epic, for reminding me why I love this forum.

Because I'm not it?:smallconfused:

CloakedDancer
2011-08-29, 11:35 PM

So the title of the next book is "Son of Dirt"?

I'd figure more along the lines of "Son of Blood" if it had to be son of something. Though I know a lot of people want there to be a "son of snarl".

Ted The Bug
2011-08-30, 12:19 AM
Since we haven't even reached the main climax (and with Tarquin's revealing of his plan the only thing I'd consider coming even close), I'd say it's anyone's guess at this point. That being said, I like 'All in the Family' if it stays centred around Tarquin/Elan/Nale.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-30, 12:25 AM
That being said, I like 'All in the Family' if it stays centred around Tarquin/Elan/Nale.

More like "Brawl in the Family."

Maximum Zersk
2011-08-30, 12:40 AM

Badum-tish.

I think Just Deserts fits. :P

VanBuren
2011-08-30, 05:45 PM

Sadly, that name is already taken.

Ron Miel
2011-08-30, 06:27 PM
Fatherland

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-30, 07:56 PM

I love that comic! :smallbiggrin: Music is awesome.

How about Thog's Happy Funland?

Ember_Glow
2011-08-31, 01:30 PM
How about "Luna is the best member of the order."

rgd20
2011-08-31, 04:03 PM
Just Desserts. Blood, Sweat and Tears.

I vote for this one!

Dr.Epic
2011-08-31, 04:19 PM

Oh, then what about RPG World, because that's what the world is. I'm pretty sure that isn't a webcomic.:smallwink:

Ron Miel
2011-09-04, 07:13 PM
Sun, sand, lovers.

The search for Girard

The Desert song.

VanBuren
2011-09-04, 11:10 PM
"Return of the Dead Guy" which has the double-meaning of making a Star Wars pun and emphasizing that Roy is actually a part of the action this time.

EDIT: As well as the LG having been presumed dead.

Gift Jeraff
2011-09-05, 03:52 PM
Still too early to say.I don't think so. At this point in the last 3 books (132 strips in):
-A blue-themed paladin had been harassing the OOTS for 51 strips.
-The war just started, but was foreshadowed at the end of the previous book.
-The party was still split.

So at this point in the previous books, you could have been able to guess the name of the book. I doubt anyone did, but it was theoretically possible.

Palthera
2011-09-05, 04:00 PM
Since Tarquin will probably be the main villain of the book, how about Family Duels? :smallbiggrin:

This one I love above all others. It's simple, clever and gives reference to what's going on without giving anything away.

WickedWizard17
2011-09-05, 05:10 PM
My vote is for "Don't Keep Dragon Me into Fights!" because 1) the Empress of Blood IS a dragon, 2) Tarquin IS her Dragon (at least officially, see TV tropes), and 3) Roy is getting dragged into fights as a gladiator, and Elan is dragged into fights with his family.

Raistlin82
2011-09-05, 05:31 PM
"Wait, Don't Fall Asleep, the Linear Guild is Coming!"

VanBuren
2011-09-05, 05:46 PM
Elan's father imprisoned Haley's father. More inside.

WickedWizard17
2011-09-05, 05:47 PM
"Wait, Don't Fall Asleep, the Linear Guild is Coming!"

Too much of a HUGE spoiler. Also, where does sleep enter into it?

WickedWizard17
2011-09-05, 05:51 PM
Elan's father imprisoned Haley's father. More inside.

LMFAO. Never gonna happen, though.

WickedWizard17
2011-09-05, 07:16 PM
OOH just re-read #738, thought of a new one - "Injustice is Blind." See Roy's lines the second panel.

Mutant Sheep
2011-09-05, 08:04 PM
My vote is for "Don't Keep Dragon Me into Fights!" because 1) the Empress of Blood IS a dragon, 2) Tarquin IS her Dragon (at least officially, see TV tropes), and 3) Roy is getting dragged into fights as a gladiator, and Elan is dragged into fights with his family.

:smallannoyed: So because any random guy said so and not the Giant, it is "official"? Lack of any "Word of Giant" be damned? :smallannoyed: Tvtropes is NOT the lord of everything, and saying it is official... its a pet peeve (http://www.bugcomic.com/comics/pet-peeves/). :smallbiggrin: Really though, tv tropes isnt the ultimate authority on anything.

sirveaux
2011-09-07, 09:00 AM
Since we have to deal with Girard in this book (presumably), Use Your Illusion is a possibility

Gift Jeraff
2011-09-07, 10:07 AM
Now that I think about it, a blood and/or lineage-related pun would be most appropriate.

Blood because A) the Empire of Blood (plus Lord Tyrinar the Bloody), B) Nale, Tarquin, and Ian are all blood relatives of a main character, and C) blood is fairly relevant in an action-comedy (doubly so given the prominence of the arena, and I think it's the first time we've seen blood on a weapon).

Lineage because A) the Linear Guild, and B) Tarquin and Ian are part of Elan/Haley's lineage. Though I suspect that a "lineage" pun would be better for a Linear Guild prequel, if there is one.

And hinting that the book is family-related isn't really a big spoiler because:
-Nale's presence was foreshadowed at the end of the last book.
-Ian's presence was foreshadowed at the very beginning of this book.
-Tarquin's reveal was 51 strips in, and Ian's reveal was 86 strips in. Compare this to the reveal that the mysterious cloaked figure is a paladin being 79 strips in. (Though, granted, that's not as big of a spoiler.)
-It could easily be referring to the Greenhilts or V's family.

Having said that...How's "Blood, Sweat, and Tiers"?

CloakedDancer
2011-09-07, 10:55 AM
Having said that...How's "Blood, Sweat, and Tiers"?

About two letters different than what I already came up with...

But I like it better than mine because it has a punny twist! :smallbiggrin:

Ron Miel
2011-09-07, 03:49 PM
Looking for Draketooth in all the wrong places

Blisstake
2011-09-08, 09:40 AM

But what do "tiers" have anything to do with this story arc? :smallconfused:

hamishspence
2011-09-08, 09:45 AM
I don't know about the name- but it might be interesting to speculate on what the colour will be, who will appear on the front, and who will provide the Foreword.

Durkon and Haley are the only order members who haven't provided Forewords.

Belkar is the only order member who hasn't appeared on the front of a book.

Now that Snips, Snails & Dragon Tales is out, green as a colour for the book spine seems likely to be eliminated.

Gift Jeraff
2011-09-08, 10:04 AM

But I like it better than mine because it has a punny twist! :smallbiggrin:Yeah, sorry about that. :smallredface:

Now that Snips, Snails & Dragon Tales is out, green as a colour for the book spine seems likely to be eliminated.As said by the Giant, there are many shades of green (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10555860&postcount=66). There's at least 1 more compilation book (probably 2) not counting the current arc, at least 2 prequels (in a recent post the Giant said prequels), and the Giant plans on making at least 1 more "not main plot" book like SSaDT (going by the poll). So, naturally, some colours will repeat (i.e. different shades).

But if it's not Belkar (with Scruffy?), my guess is either Blackwing or Tarquin (with helm on to avoid spoilers). As for the colour, a shade of beige/sandy brown (desert), a different shade of red (Empire of Blood), or purple (Girard's dweomer). And if it's not Blackwing, then I think he'll do the preface, talking about what it's like to be the new guy.

*Extremely Minor DStP Spoilers*I wonder, did book 4 count as Haley doing a recap?

CloakedDancer
2011-09-08, 10:21 AM
But what do "tiers" have anything to do with this story arc? :smallconfused:

Well there's lots of tiers in that arena. There's also lots of tiers in the power structure for the Empire of Blood, and the power structure for the Goblins in Azure city and the other nations Tarquin has a hand in. There are also apparently tiers of fighters in the gladiator games. And there's tiers in the royal palace. There's also tiers of stupidity as expressed by various characters in the comic. Or tiers of evil, or deception, or maybe even resistance! I wanted to say that there were tiers of ruffles too but I couldn't find any...

Gift Jeraff
2011-09-08, 10:27 AM
Well, XP was mentioned once in book 3 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0399.html), and tiers were mentioned once in this book (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0764.html). So there. :smalltongue:

And it is fairly relevant in the Roy vs. Thog fight (though that has less to do with tiers and more to do with the fact that Roy simply isn't suited for an armourless, no magic item, unplanned, one-on-one fight).

CloakedDancer
2011-09-08, 12:47 PM
Well, XP was mentioned once in book 3 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0399.html), and tiers were mentioned once in this book (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0764.html). So there. :smalltongue:

And... and maybe that cake had tiers! :smallwink:

Caractacus
2011-09-09, 04:13 PM

"Blood is Thicker than Half-Orcs"...

Manga Maniac
2011-09-09, 06:30 PM
Has anyone made an Of Mice and Men pun yet?

Dr.Epic
2011-09-09, 07:15 PM

Of Dice and Men

I just did!:smallbiggrin:

VanBuren
2011-09-09, 08:06 PM
Elan's Old Man and the Sea

(of sand)

veti
2011-09-09, 08:20 PM
Times of Sand
Dune and Dusted
Western Philosophy

CloakedDancer
2011-09-09, 09:11 PM
"Blood is Thicker than Half-Orcs"...

That one's pretty good too. You guys are good at being punny. I think you should consider multiclassing your next level to Dashing Swordsman.

Whiffet
2011-09-09, 11:08 PM

Sometime around #783 I saw someone suggest Of Dice and D10s. I'm too lazy to go and look for who it was, though, so... yes, someone made a pun on Of Mice and Men already.

CloakedDancer
2011-09-10, 10:29 AM
Sometime around #783 I saw someone suggest Of Dice and D10s. I'm too lazy to go and look for who it was, though, so... yes, someone made a pun on Of Mice and Men already.

Of Dice and D10s seems somewhat redundant. :smallconfused:

KillItWithFire
2011-09-10, 10:35 AM
Most have been puns on classic literature:

Missed one: "Start of Darkness" -- "Heart of Darkness"
Extra points to Rich for a Marlow refernce in the book.

WickedWizard17
2011-09-10, 11:10 AM
:smallannoyed: So because any random guy said so and not the Giant, it is "official"? Lack of any "Word of Giant" be damned? :smallannoyed: Tvtropes is NOT the lord of everything, and saying it is official... its a pet peeve (http://www.bugcomic.com/comics/pet-peeves/). :smallbiggrin: Really though, tv tropes isnt the ultimate authority on anything.

By "officially," I meant that even though he's really running the Empire, he's supposed to just be working for her. So, the Dragon.

Manga Maniac
2011-09-11, 12:07 PM
Of Dice and Men

I just did!:smallbiggrin:
*profanity*

Curses, foiled again.

martianmister
2011-09-11, 12:18 PM
By "officially," I meant that even though he's really running the Empire, he's supposed to just be working for her. So, the Dragon.

That's not what the Dragon (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDragon) means.

Morgan Wick
2011-09-11, 11:33 PM
Too much of a HUGE spoiler. Also, where does sleep enter into it?

I don't think it's that much of a spoiler - not only was it commonly speculated, not only did we see them escape the tower, but DStP was the first non-prequel that lacked the Linear Guild. That said, it is a bad title.

That's not what the Dragon (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDragon) means.

What he means is that technically (the word I'd use rather than "officially") he's supposed to be the Empress' second-in-command, but is really... wait for it... the man behind the man (tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheManBehindTheMan).

AureliusDuPrix
2011-09-12, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=Absol197;11744065]Most have been puns, usually on classic works:
"Don't Split the Party" -- Not a pun.
QUOTE]

Hate to jump in about this here, but it, I believe, is a pun, based off of the book title "Don't Split the Pole" a book about folk wisdom, and as all we wise gamers know, you don't split the party. :smallamused:

WickedWizard17
2011-09-12, 08:29 PM
What he means is that technically (the word I'd use rather than "officially") he's supposed to be the Empress' second-in-command, but is really... wait for it... the man behind the man (tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheManBehindTheMan).

Thank you, that is what I meant. Also, I'm a she. But as http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/smilies/oots/vaarsuvius.gif says, does that really matter? ;)

UrsielHauke
2011-09-12, 09:31 PM
The Empire of Blood Strikes Back.

Zorgophlats
2011-09-13, 04:37 AM
Gladiator Games

How Not To Single Class

Western Worries

Dueling Fighters

Sidetracked Again

Needlessly Overcomplicated

Coming to Grips

Sands of Blood

Book V

Underpowered Kombat

Voyage to the Heart of Distraction

Uninspired Title

Running Out of Ideas

I'm Pun ...um... Done Now

Ron Miel
2011-09-13, 07:53 AM
Where's Girard?

The frontispiece can be a big panoramic scene on a beach or similar, featuring every character that has appeared in the strip. Which will then be sold as a big poster.

martianmister
2011-09-13, 02:36 PM
The Lord of the Kings.

UrsielHauke
2011-09-13, 05:19 PM
Also like to add:

Much Ado About Pun-things.
The Elves Quite Androgeneous.
A Mid-Desert War's Scene.

Nimrod's Son
2011-09-13, 10:28 PM
Hate to jump in about this here, but it, I believe, is a pun, based off of the book title "Don't Split the Pole" a book about folk wisdom, and as all we wise gamers know, you don't split the party. :smallamused:
No, it's not a pun. Rich posted around the time of its release that he was deliberately breaking his string of puns because he didn't want it to become too much of a thing. And regardless, I don't see him making a pun on the name of a book where neither the author or the book itself are considered "notable" enough to have their own Wikipedia pages.

Dr. Gamera
2011-09-14, 11:41 AM
I'm pretty sure it won't be House of Sand and Thog.

VanBuren
2011-09-14, 12:01 PM
I'm pretty sure it won't be House of Sand and Thog.

House-rules of the Rising Son, perhaps?

t209
2011-09-29, 04:51 PM
How about Order of the Stick of Tyrania (Lawrence of Arabia)?