PDA

View Full Version : Neither man nor beast, but something else entirely. (3.5 Race)

Circle of Life
2011-09-01, 02:36 PM
Remani

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/5595/solarbyhibbaryd472ghk.jpg
Image is “Solar” by hibbary of deviantArt.

A remani in its natural form appears in many ways as a white-maned lion, though its markings make its true nature obvious to those who know what to look for.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2684/amaterasubynorthernbans.jpg
Image is “Amaterasu” by NorthernBanshee of deviantArt.

A remani using its Alternate Form ability to assume the form of a human creates a nearly flawless disguise, though its markings remain as prominent as ever.

Racial Traits

Magical Beast (Shapechanger): As magical beasts, remani are not subject to effects that would affect humanoids, but are susceptible to spells and abilities that target magical beasts.
Abilities: +2 Con, -2 Int. Remani share some of the toughness of the beasts they resemble, but this same bestial nature reflects in their diminished capacity for learning.
Size: Medium. As Medium creatures, remani have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: A remani has a base land speed of 40 ft in its natural form, or 30 ft in its humanoid form.
Darkvision: As magical beasts, remani possess darkvision out to 60 ft.
Natural Weapons: In its natural form, a remani possesses a primary bite attack dealing 1d6 damage, and two secondary claw attacks dealing 1d4 damage.
Stability: While in its natural form, a remani has a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground due to its quadrapedal form.
Auspicious Markings (Ex): All remani are born with a unique pattern somewhere across their fur. When in their human form, this marking takes the form of a tattoo or birthmark in the same general location. These markings hold secrets of the individual remani's future, granting them a +1 bonus to caster level when casting spells from the Divination school, and a +1 bonus to saving throws against Divination spells. However, these same markings make identifying an individual remani very easy, imposing a -5 penalty to Disguise checks. A remani also does not gain the usual +10 bonus to disguise checks when using its alternate form ability to assume a human form.
Alternate Form (Su): As a standard action, a remani can assume the form of a human any number of times per day. The remani may remain in this form indefinitely, until it chooses to return to its natural form as a standard action. Each remani has a single alternate form determined from birth; this form is generally of the same gender as the remani, but rare exceptions exist. When changing into its humanoid form or back, any armor worn by the remani changes shape appropriately to fit the new body. A remani retains all of its normal ability scores when assuming this new form.

A remani in its natural form is incapable of intelligible speech, though it can communicate with other remani using their own language. Likewise, a remani is incapable of using weapons in its natural form, as it lacks the means to wield them. A remani in its alternate form is capable of speaking any language it knows, and can wield weapons normally.
Natural Spells (Ex): Remani spellcasters can cast spells in their natural form normally, substituting crude paw gestures and words in the remani tongue for verbal and somatic components. This ability to cast spells while shapeshifted does not extend to other alternate forms without digits capable of performing fine hand gestures.
Automatic Languages: Common, Remani. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling.
Level Adjustment: +0
Favored Class: Ranger

[hr]

Remani Racial Feats

Oracular Markings [Racial]
Prerequisites: Remani, 3 HD
Benefit: Once per day, the remani may use augury as a spell-like ability, except he always receives as accurate an answer as is possible for his question.

Remani Charge [Racial]
Prerequisites: Remani, 6 HD
Benefit: If the remani charges, it may make a full attack at the end of the charge, instead of the single attack usually afforded to a charging creature.

Rending Claws [Racial]
Prerequisites: Remani Charge
Benefit: When in its natural form, if the remani hits with both racial claw attacks as part of a charge or full-attack action, it deals automatic rend damage equal to 2d6+1.5x strength.

[hr]

Currently posted for balance review, not comments on lack of fluff. That issue will be addressed when I consider the race ready to include in my campaign setting. Thoughts/criticisms?

Dryad
2011-09-01, 02:47 PM
I love the idea.
That's really it. The shifter races simply didn't have the same twang with me, even though I love shapeshifters to bits. Sure; having three attacks at first level may be a bit overpowered (multi-attack might prove a problem, there), but on the whole: Simple and lovely. ^_^
Edit: I would replace 'Normal Form' with 'Natural Form.' Just aesthetics, really.

Amechra
2011-09-01, 02:49 PM
Neat; one thing you should keep in mind, is that this does allow easy entry into Warshaper, among other things.

I would also have Auspicious Markings give a Disguise penalty, if I were you...

Circle of Life
2011-09-01, 02:56 PM
Good suggestions from both of you. Text has been updated appropriately.

Warshaper access wasn't on my mind when I wrote the race, but I'm not sure I see that there's a huge problem with it. It opens up options other than Wildshape Ranger for entry. *shrug* Are there abusive options that I'm missing?

Scholar23
2011-09-01, 03:57 PM
As far as i can see the race itself is well balenced, but i hate seeing that penelty to intellegence. Thats just me and always using Int based classes, still the race overall is very good. Can't wait to see the fluff.

Yitzi
2011-09-01, 06:05 PM
What's its racial HD (I assume it's a Large creature in lion form)? I'd think it should be at least 2, simply because of all the benefits Large form can grant.

Circle of Life
2011-09-01, 06:18 PM
What's its racial HD (I assume it's a Large creature in lion form)? I'd think it should be at least 2, simply because of all the benefits Large form can grant.

There are no racial hit dice, and it is a medium creature.

Yitzi
2011-09-01, 08:47 PM
There are no racial hit dice, and it is a medium creature.

You probably should note that, then.

Also, that would make it a bit overpowered, as natural attacks plus high speed plus the ability to get pounce and rend is just a bit more than most races get. Not enough for an LA, but you might want to drop that CON bonus or add a CHA penalty if you want to make this a PC-appropriate race.

Circle of Life
2011-09-01, 08:54 PM
Erm, it is noted that it's a medium creature. It's right there in the racial stats.

The tradeoff for the pounce is that it costs a feat, you can't get it until 6 HD, and you'll either be choosing between natural weapons or manufactured when charging, as opposed to other races that can use their natural weapons with manufactured. It gives an alternative to the standard 1-level Spirit Lion Totem barbarian dip, and I'm quite happy with it as is, in that regard.

Pokonic
2011-09-01, 09:06 PM
I love this idea, I like it a lot.:smallsmile:

Greenish
2011-09-02, 09:45 AM
Alternate Form states that you gain the new form's physical ability scores, so would a remani in human form just have 10 in str, dex and con?

Also, how does Rending Claws interact with having extra claw attacks?

Circle of Life
2011-09-02, 10:31 AM
A remani retains all of its normal ability scores when assuming this new form.

Rending claws updated.

Greenish
2011-09-02, 10:49 AM
Heh, missed that.

So, it seems like a solid race, I'm not coming up with any untoward shenanigans. Seems tailor-made for totemists.

Obrysii
2011-09-02, 12:39 PM
Oh I like this.

Reminds me a bit of Sesshoumaru from Inuyasha ... but that isn't a bad thing!

However, you need to explain what its alternate form does. It's got the flavor text to suggest it transforms into a lion ... but can you give detail on just what, mechanically, it does?

Circle of Life
2011-09-02, 12:46 PM
Their normal form is that of a medium-sized, white-maned lion, actually. Not an actual lion per se, but a very close approximation.

The effect of their Alternate Form ability is described in the racial traits section. It allows them to take on the appearance of a single human form. In effect, remani have a two specific identities - that of their normal, bestial form, and another that appears in all respects as a human.

Mechanically, turning into a human does everything that being a human should do. They have fine motor control, opposable thumbs, etc. They can speak normally and wield manufactured weapons in their human form, but they are slower and lose their natural weapons if they do so. Aside from that, there is no mechanical effect to taking on a human form (they don't spontaneously gain a feat or skill points, and so on). They remain magical beasts at all times, despite appearing as humans.

Yitzi
2011-09-02, 02:25 PM
Erm, it is noted that it's a medium creature. It's right there in the racial stats.

Whoops, missed that.

It gives an alternative to the standard 1-level Spirit Lion Totem barbarian dip

Ah, so it's meant for games where such is allowed. (Actually, I didn't know about that before; I don't have the sourcebook.) Ok, then that makes more sense.

Maraxus1
2011-09-02, 04:07 PM
I think it's okay, balance-wise. On the strong side but usually I'd allow it.
To be on the save side the "When changing into its humanoid form or back, any armor worn by the remani changes shape appropriately to fit the new body." - part could be replaced by "melts into the new form and becomes nonfunctional" (wild shape) or "drops to the ground" (Lycanthopes).

Circle of Life
2011-09-02, 04:13 PM
No, that's not how it's supposed to work at all. Remani have no natural armor, no extraordinary defenses, nothing of the sort. They are, first and foremost, a PC race. That means that they need only one suit of armor, not a suit of armor and a second suit of barding. Their gear does not meld with their body, but rather shapes itself to each form as appropriate. There is absolutely no reason to punish a player for playing the race by doubling the amount of defensive gear he has to buy; that's like suggesting a Changeling would need a new set of armor for each of her assumed forms. No good can come of it.

Maraxus1
2011-09-02, 06:14 PM
I know, this is not supposed this way, I offered it as an alternative should the normal form be to strong. As you say yourself, this would require the character to buy a set of armor and a set of barding and - more important, he could not just shape from social human to triple natural attack beast and fight at full power.
The Wildshape-like version could be solved with "wild" armor, but since this is a +3 enchantment, the Character will have it only at some quite high level and then (with iterative attacks and stuff) natural weapons are not so much of an advantage anymore

Oh, what I forgot:
Yes, it's basically "A strong LA+0 but still fair" but then again, I do not exactly like the idea of a "tiger" shape that is actually a medium sized thing with racial ability scores of base Str10, Dex10, Con12 ... that feels like bad advertising, somehow.
Even though Magical beasts have quite good HDs with d10 and full BAB and 2 good saves, I could see something with say Str+6, Dex+2 Con+4, large size at LA 1 and 3 or 4 hit dies.

Greenish
2011-09-03, 08:09 AM
I know, this is not supposed this way, I offered it as an alternative should the normal form be to strong. As you say yourself, this would require the character to buy a set of armor and a set of barding and - more important, he could not just shape from social human to triple natural attack beast and fight at full power.Most classes would probably be better off fighting in human shape for "full power".

I could see something with say Str+6, Dex+2 Con+4, large size at LA 1 and 3 or 4 hit dies.That'd be awful as a PC race, though.

Yitzi
2011-09-04, 07:25 AM
It's a bit of an unusual setting though where shapeshifting magical beasts are common enough to be a normal adventuring class, isn't it?

Circle of Life
2011-09-04, 09:32 AM
It's a bit of an unusual setting though where shapeshifting magical beasts are common enough to be a normal adventuring class, isn't it?

Eberron and changelings?

Abrexa
2011-09-04, 09:47 AM
Did I said I love the pictures? :smallsmile:

togapika
2011-09-04, 11:00 AM
Honestly, I like it. People are getting up in arms about the shape-shifting or natural attacks, but while 3 attacks at first level is cool, it becomes much harder to optimize natural attacks later on versus magic weapons.

Some of the bonuses like the divination thing or allowing spellcasting are minor anyways, and the pounce doesn't apply till 6th level or later. Besides, if they're playing a fighter type, they need every advantage...

As for warshaper, I might even rename the alternate form class feature, as it specifically states "The Alternate Form ability is insufficient to become a warshaper", and it seems more like this race just has two unique forms...

Greenish
2011-09-06, 05:55 AM
As for warshaper, I might even rename the alternate form class feature, as it specifically states "The Alternate Form ability is insufficient to become a warshaper", and it seems more like this race just has two unique forms...Eh, alternate form isn't enough to qualify for warshaper, but Shapechanger subtype is, and Remani has that.

Or did you mean they shouldn't be able to enter?

Draken
2011-09-06, 11:58 AM
People have a tendency to forget that Warshaper class features only work when the warshaper is not in his natural form, and alternate form has an implication that the shape assumed also counts as a natural form.

That would need some clarification, also needs clarification on if the remani reverts to leonine form upon death and what form is revealed as "true" by true seeing. Of course, "both are real" are "stays on the currently assumed form" are valid answers that imply that neither form is "false".

Also, warshaper is a nice prc but it is not the be-all-end-all of prestige classes, and easier access to it or not shouldn't really be an important thing for the design of the race.

What is relevant, however, to the decision of keeping or not the shapechanger sbtype, is remembering that said subtype gives effective immunity to offensive shapeshifting (baleful polymorph, basically).

Blynkibrax
2011-09-06, 01:02 PM
I really like this idea and as a race it's really unique. Although, to be honest, I'm intrigued as to what they'd be like as a monster. :smallwink:

Greenish
2011-09-07, 05:41 AM
People have a tendency to forget that Warshaper class features only work when the warshaper is not in his natural form, and alternate form has an implication that the shape assumed also counts as a natural form.I think it's pretty clear that the lion is the natural form, the human isn't.

also needs clarification on if the remani reverts to leonine form upon deathMore importantly, what happens to the armour when you loot it off a dead remani? :smalltongue:

dethkruzer
2011-09-07, 08:55 AM
hmmm... The race looks nice, althought it seems both a bit too strong for LA +0 and too weak for LA+1, maybe give it one racial hit die? Them's my two coppers.

Also, this looks something I could use in my campaign, seeing the characters might at some point arrive to an island nation of which little is known.

Circle of Life
2011-09-07, 09:22 AM
hmmm... The race looks nice, althought it seems both a bit too strong for LA +0 and too weak for LA+1, maybe give it one racial hit die? Them's my two coppers.

Magical Beast racial hit dice are not so bad for martial characters, and a gigantic middle finger to casters. It either doesn't really matter, or makes the race a terrible choice, depending on the character. I'd advise cutting some things that you think push it out of the LA +0 race in your campaign, rather than adding RHD.