PDA

View Full Version : Bracelet Pricing Advice

Serpentine
2011-09-02, 10:12 AM
I had an idea that I think should sell pretty well: a charm bracelet, except instead of charms it has little metal cages containing a full set of mini dice that can be removed and used. But I'm not sure how much I should sell them for.
So: how much would you be willing/do you think would be reasonable to pay for a pretty bracelet with removable dice?

It will consist of the following:
Set of mini dice - ~$6
7 metal cages - ~$1 for all
Beads - ~$1, +/- depending on fanciness
Magnetic clasp - $1
Crimping beads - ~10c
Beading wire - negligible ($7 for 9m; ~8c/10cm)
So total costs up to $10. I don't expect them to take long to make, though - maybe half an hour tops.

If you're interested in buying one, that's great, but tell me over my Deviant Art (http://serpentine16.deviantart.com/gallery/27446257), Etsy (http://www.etsy.com/shop/Serpentine16) or email (messygrump@hotmail.com), not here - forum rules on advertising and all that.

Mauve Shirt
2011-09-02, 11:24 AM
$10 is totally reasonable for a bracelet with usable dice. I'd charge $11-$12 or so for them, so you make something of a profit.

leakingpen
2011-09-02, 11:31 AM
cages that open, so the dice that you use can be used as well as being jewelry? That is AWESOME! I'm imagining a lot of people will want to use it with their own dice (ie, dwarfstones style semiprecious gem dice) so i'd make sure weight of such heavier dice would be supported by your design! I'd say 15 would be a good price for them. I would buy my wife a couple at that price.

just reread... MINI dice. okay, I can see that. Umm, I would still look into being able to have one that will fit full size dice as well. That, or a necklace. Hmm..... (let me know if you don't intend on doing full size dice, if not, I may take a whack at it. )

scienceguy8
2011-09-02, 07:18 PM
I'd charge $15. I have some experience with making and selling things on the Internet. I made this device, based on an open-source set of plans, that allowed you to use a GameBoy as a MIDI synthesizer. Each one was $25 dollars worth of parts, and it took me 2 hours to assemble each one. I figured my time was worth $10 an hour and sold them for $45 plus shipping. You believe your bracelets will take 30 minutes at most, so at the going rate of $10 an hour, tack on $5 per bracelet for your time and skill, plus however much it costs to get it to the customer.

Serpentine
2011-09-03, 12:17 AM
$10 is totally reasonable for a bracelet with usable dice. I'd charge $11-$12 or so for them, so you make something of a profit.I would really like to make significantly more than $1 profit, considering I'm making and selling this jewellery to help pay for my trip overseas...
just reread... MINI dice. okay, I can see that. Umm, I would still look into being able to have one that will fit full size dice as well. That, or a necklace. Hmm..... (let me know if you don't intend on doing full size dice, if not, I may take a whack at it. )Hey, mini dice are cool :smalltongue: Full-size dice would almost certainly be far too big and inconvenient for a bracelet, but one person has commissioned a necklace with a removable set from me.
edit: However, if someone thought it wouldn't be too cumbersome, I'm happy to custom-make anything anyone wants, and I have ordered larger cages. But further discussion along these lines would have to take place elsewhere :smallwink:

leakingpen
2011-09-03, 09:02 PM
have you NOT seen the clunky bead style? Was all the rage when I was IN junior high Imagine a necklace made out of half inch beads with every 4th or 5th bead about a an inch, inch and a half across.

Serpentine
2011-09-03, 10:43 PM
That's a necklace, not a bracelet :smalltongue: But for sure, if someone wanted a bracelet made with full-sized dice I'd be happy to make it.

Lady Moreta
2011-09-04, 12:09 AM
I think it's an awesome idea :smallsmile:

I agree with the $15 price, but I'm also inclined to say that you could probably market them at $20 and still find people willing to purchase them. I'm not good at saying what I would or wouldn't buy without a picture, but if they looked like the idea I have in my head of what a mini dice charm bracelet would look like, I'd buy one for $20.

edit: re-read your first post and noticed that the price of the beads may vary - I would keep your prices on a sliding scale depending on the price of the beads therein.

Serpentine
2011-09-04, 01:39 AM
I'd probably just average out the cost of the beads, unless someone specifically chose ones that are significantly more or less expensive (for example, I could easily do a set with real semi-precious stones, but that would cost extra. Alternatively, they might quite like the cheaper plastic beads I have, in which case I might give them a small discount).

And yes, I'll post pictures as soon as I have any. Could be a couple of weeks yet, though - still no combined invoice for the stuff I bought.

Looks like half an hour is about right for a bracelet.

bothi73
2011-09-05, 06:59 PM
How big is 'mini'?

I could see myself paying up to $30, as long as it was well-made.

Serpentine
2011-09-05, 10:36 PM
About 1cm across.

Serpentine
2011-09-09, 12:59 AM
Ah crudnutski.
I got a first lot of dice cages I ordered. They're way too small, and I still have another 100 the same size coming :smallsigh: At least they fit the teeny-tiny d6s perfectly, so I guess I can just sell a bunch of bracelets or whatever full of d6s :/

Serpentine
2011-09-28, 09:31 AM
In case anyone was still interested in these, I got the stuff and have started making them! You can see them over here (http://www.etsy.com/listing/82727802/full-removable-7-dice-set-bracelet).

leakingpen
2011-09-28, 10:35 AM
ohh, totally NOT what I was thinking of with wire cages. Very cool!

Ugh, that shipping to the us sucks though. I think I have my wife's birthday present though.

Serpentine
2011-09-28, 10:41 AM
It may be possible to get less, if I don't use a padded bag. If I can get the parcel under 2cm thick, it should be around $5.
...I dunno, the shipping costs on Australia post seem to keep changing :/ I could always post it and then give the final price, or get a quote for shipping before finalising payment...

leakingpen
2011-09-29, 09:46 AM
enh, if you spend too much time working on such details, you end up not making any money. 15 seems pretty standard an overseas shipping rate. I get paid next friday, and you'll get a sale. (I'll be asking for the red transparent dice, btw)