PDA

View Full Version : TF2 Medic [3.5 Base Class]

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-09-04, 01:00 AM
The Medic

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/psychictheurge10/meet-the-medic.png

"All zat I can tell you about zis next procedure is zat it vill be...excruciating!"

What he lacks in compassion for the sick, respect for humanoid dignity, and any sort of verifiable formal training in medicine, the medic more than makes up for with a bottomless supply of giant needles and a trembling enthusiasm for plunging them into exposed flesh. Trained during an era when the Hippocratic oath has been downgraded to an optional Hippocratic suggestion, the Medic considers healing a generally unintended side effect of satisfying his own morbid curiosity.

HD: d8

Class Skills: The medic's class skill (and the key abilities for those skills) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (All) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points: 4+Int skill points per level, x4 at first level

The Medic
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |0th|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th

1st|+0|+2|+0|+2|Combat Medic, Personal Physician|1|0|—|—|—|—|—

2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3|Channel Energy, Physician Heal Thyself|2|1|—|—|—|—|—

3rd|+2|+3|+1|+3|Team Spirit, Patch Them Up|2|1|0|—|—|—|—

4th|+3|+4|+1|+4|ÜberCharge (Burst Heal)|2|2|1|—|—|—|—

5th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Preventative Medicine|2|2|1|0|—|—|—

6th|+4|+5|+2|+5|ÜberCharge (Quick Fix)|3|2|2|1|—|—|—

7th|+5|+5|+2|+5|Shoot the Medic First|3|2|2|1|0|—|—

8th|+6/+1|+6|+2|+6|ÜberCharge (Invulnerability)|3|3|2|2|1|—|—

9th|+6/+1|+6|+3|+6|Triage|3|3|2|2|1|0|—

10th|+7/+2|+7|+3|+7|ÜberCharge (Kritzkrieg)|3|3|3|2|2|1|—

11th|+8/+3|+7|+3|+7|Bad to the Bone|3|3|3|2|2|1|0

12th|+9/+4|+8|+4|+8|ÜberCharge (Improved Burst Heal)|4|3|3|3|2|2|1

13th|+9/+4|+8|+4|+8|Hypocritical Oath|4|3|3|3|2|2|1

14th|+10/+5|+9|+4|+9|ÜberCharge (Improved Quick Fix)|4|4|3|3|3|2|2

15th|+11/+6/+1|+9|+5|+9|Good To Go|4|4|3|3|3|2|2

16th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|ÜberCharge (Improved Invulnerability)|4|4|4|3|3|3|2

17th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|Medic is Credit to Team!|4|4|4|3|3|3|2

18th|+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|ÜberCharge (Improved Kritzkrieg)|4|4|4|4|3|3|3

19th|+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|Physician-Assisted Homicide|4|4|4|4|3|3|3

20th|+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|ÜberCharge (Spinal Tap)|4|4|4|4|4|3|3
[/table]

Class Features

All the following are class features of the medic.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Medics are proficient with all simple and martial slashing melee weapons, all crossbows, and light armor but not shields. A medic can cast medic spells while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance, however like any other arcane spellcaster a medic wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield suffers from arcane spell failure. A multiclass medic still incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance for casting arcane spells from other classes.

Spells: A medic casts arcane spells drawn from the Healer spell list; he knows all the spells on his list and can cast them spontaneously. A medic's spells per day are based on his Intelligence score. To cast a spell, a medic must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 + the spell level, and the DC for a saving throw against a medic spell (if applicable) is equal to 10 + the spell level + his Intelligence modifier.

Combat Medic
Ze healing leaves little time for ze hurting...
The medic may always take 10 on Heal checks even when threatened or rushed, and he does not provoke attacks of opportunity when using the Heal skill or casting spells on the Healer spell list. This ability applies only to Healer spells that he casts as a medic, even if he may be able to cast some of the same spells by virtue of having levels in another spellcasting class.

In addition, the medic gains Skill Focus (Heal) as a bonus feat.

Personal Physician (Su)
"You are great doctor!"
"Bitte schön."
As a standard action, the medic may heal a single ally within 30 feet an amount of hit points equal to his Intelligence modifier plus twice his medic level, minimum 3. On following rounds, as long as the medic heals the same target each round, he may use this ability as a swift action; if the medic switches targets, goes a round without healing the same target, or moves more than 30 feet away, he must use a standard action to heal again. All class features that depend on this feature, such as ÜberCharge and Preventative Medicine, also require that the target remain within 30 feet.

If the medic is healing an ally outside of combat, this ability heals three times the normal amount of damage, or [6*level + 3*Int] hit points.

For brevity's sake, the current or most recent target of a medic's Personal Physician ability will be referred to as his “patient,” and the act of healing his patient with his Personal Physician ability will be referred to as “charging up” the patient.

Channel Energy (Su)
Anozzer successful procedure!
A medic can channel positive energy to creatures within 30 feet as a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. He may choose which creatures are affected by this ability, usually only his allies. Living creatures in the area heal 1d6 damage per two medic levels (1d6 at 2nd level, 2d6 at 4th, and so on) while undead creatures take the same amount of damage, though they are allowed a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 level + Intelligence modifier) to halve the damage.

Channel Energy may be used a number of times per day equal to 3 + the medic's Charisma modifier (minimum 1). This class feature counts as Turn Undead (but not Rebuke Undead) and Lay On Hands for the purpose of feats and class features that grant more uses of Turn Undead or advance effective cleric or paladin level.

Physician Heal Thyself (Ex)
Danke, Herr Doctor.
As long as he is conscious, the medic benefits from fast healing in an amount equal to half his class level.

Team Spirit (Ex)
My skill is vasted on zis team!
Each time the medic or his patient makes a successful attack, any ally of his choice within 30 feet except himself or his patient heals 2 hit points. In addition, whenever the medic casts a healing spell on an ally within 30 feet other than himself or his patient, he adds his Charisma bonus (if any) to the amount healed.

Patch Them Up
I heal ze men who will kill you!
As a full-round action, the medic can heal all allies within 10 feet a number of hit points equal to the amount healed by his Personal Physician class feature. When the medic uses this ability, he is flat-footed and immobilized until the start of his next turn.

ÜberCharge (Su)
Auf wiedersehen, Dummkopfs!
If a medic charges his patient up in two consecutive rounds, on the third round the medic may expend a single daily Channel Energy use as a standard action to activate an ÜberCharge. When doing so, he may choose to use any level of ÜberCharge he has access to, as indicated on the medic class table.
Burst Heal: When the medic activates this ÜberCharge, the patient heals an amount of hit points equal to the patient's level times the medic's Intelligence bonus. At 12th level and higher, the patient instead heals hit points equal to the patient's level times twice the medic's Intelligence bonus.
Quick Fix: After the medic activates this ÜberCharge, the medic and patient both benefit from the effects of freedom of movement, haste, and jump for two rounds, and any healing either of them benefits from during this time is doubled. At 14th level and higher, the medic and the patient each also gain the ability to move their speed as an immediate action during those two rounds.
Invulnerability: After the medic activates this ÜberCharge, the medic and patient both benefit from the effects of delay death, mind blank, and death ward for two rounds, and neither of them automatically fails a saving throw on a natural 1 during this time. At 16th level and higher, the medic and the patient may also act normally while at negative hit points during this time.
Kritzkrieg: After the medic activates this ÜberCharge, until the end of the patient's next turn every successful attack the patient makes counts as a critical threat. At 18th level and higher, in addition to the base effect, the first successful critical threat the patient makes before the end of his next turn is automatically confirmed.
Spinal Tap: When the medic activates this ÜberCharge, the next successful attack the patient makes before the end of the patient's next turn is resolved as a coup de grace attempt.

Time spent charging up a patient during an ÜberCharge does not count towards the two-round charge up requirement to activate another ÜberCharge. A given creature may not serve as the patient for multiple medics' ÜberCharges at one time.

Preventative Medicine (Sp)
Now, most hearts couldn't vithstand zis voltage, but I'm fairly certain your heart....
If the medic heals his patient enough to bring the patient over its maximum hit points, any excess hit points is gained as temporary hit points; this applies whether the healing comes from charging it up, a healing spell cast by the medic, or any other means the medic uses to heal his patient. Temporary hit points granted by this ability stack with themselves, but not with temporary hit points from any other source, and the patient may not possess more temporary hit points at any given time than one-half his normal maximum hit points. If the medic goes two rounds without charging up the patient, these temporary hit points are lost.

Shoot the Medic First (Sp) (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/09/21)
Vould you like a second opinion? You are also ugly!
As an immediate action, if an enemy makes an attack or uses a targeted ability against an ally, the medic may expend a single daily Channel Energy use to attempt to force the enemy to attack him instead of his ally. If the enemy fails a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 level + medic's Intelligence modifier), he must target the medic with the triggering ability and any other attacks or targeted abilities he makes until the start of his next turn. There is no range limit on this ability, but the medic must have line of sight and line of effect to the targeted enemy.

Triage
Anyvun still alive has let me down!
As a move action, the medic may make a Heal check to determine the current hit points of a single creature, any harmful conditions currently affecting the creature, the number of HD the creature possesses, and the creature's alignment. The DC for the Heal check is 10 + creature's HD + creature's Constitution modifier. If a creature does not wish the medic to learn this information, it may make a Bluff check, and the medic must beat the Bluff result instead of the base DC if it is higher. In either case, if the check fails the medic learns only whether the creature is “unharmed” (at full hit points with no negative conditions affecting it) or “damaged.”

Bad to the Bone (Ex)
Did zat sting? Saw-ry!
Once per encounter, if the medic successfully attacks an enemy in melee in the same round he charges up his patient, he may activate an ÜberCharge on his next turn even if he hadn't charged up his patient for two consecutive rounds.

Hypocritical Oath (Sp)
Can you feel ze Schadenfreude?
Whenever he or his patient scores a critical hit with a melee or ranged attack, the medic and all allies within 30 feet heal an amount of hit points equal to the damage dealt, split equally among them. For example, if the medic's patient deals 100 damage with a critical hit and there are three allies within 30 feet, he and his allies each heal 25 damage.

Good To Go (Sp) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36lSzUMBJnc)
Aww, don't be such a baby...ribs grow back!
As a full-round action, the medic may expend a single daily Channel Energy use to target a single ally within 30 feet and grant them the benefits of the spells panacea, regenerate, and restoration. If he expends a second daily Channel Energy use, the targeted ally also becomes immune to any conditions or effects that those spells remedy (limb removal, ability drain, and so forth) for 1 minute after being cured.

Medic is Credit to Team!
"Come over here, I promise I will heal you!"
When casting a medic spell, the medic may apply one of the following pairs of metamagic feats to the spell without adjusting the casting time, even if the medic does not possess the appropriate feats: Reach Spell and Split Ray, Twin Spell and Empower Spell, or Repeat Spell and Maximize Spell.

Physician-Assisted Homicide (Su)
Eins, zwei, drei....ugh, I do not think ve brought enough body bags....
Once per encounter as a standard action, the medic may make a single melee or ranged attack as a standard action that, if it hits, renders his target unable to regain hit points by any means (including fast healing, regeneration, and temporary hit points) or benefit from any Conjuration (Healing) effect for 10 minutes. The target is entitled to a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 level + medic's Intelligence modifier) to limit the duration to 1 minute.

The-Mage-King
2011-09-04, 01:06 AM
IS GOOD, DOCTOR![/Heavy]

Ahem. Very nice. I am now thinking about a team made up of the tier three casters, this class, and a warblade. Seems fun.

A further amount of critique will probably come after I get some sleep. Damn insomnia...

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-09-04, 02:00 AM
IS GOOD, DOCTOR![/Heavy]

Danke schön, Herr Heavy. :smallwink:

Ahem. Very nice. I am now thinking about a team made up of the tier three casters, this class, and a warblade. Seems fun.

A further amount of critique will probably come after I get some sleep. Damn insomnia...

Glad you like it. I sort of threw this together without much concern for balance after inspiration struck during a round of TF2, so any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Aldreck
2011-09-04, 02:55 AM
Some of the abilities mention expending daily uses of Channel Energy, but I don't see anything in the description or the table about how many uses per day you get.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-09-04, 03:39 AM
Some of the abilities mention expending daily uses of Channel Energy, but I don't see anything in the description or the table about how many uses per day you get.

Oops, should be 3+Cha per day. Fixed.

Mulletmanalive
2011-09-04, 03:46 AM
What the guy above said; in fact, most abilities could do with an "at will" or uses per day listing. Just for clarity.

The-Mage-King
2011-09-04, 11:47 AM
Hm... I see that he's proficient with Light armor, but has nothing that allows him to use it without ASF. Intentional?

radmelon
2011-09-04, 11:59 AM
Ausgezeichnet!
All translations are from babelfish. I claim no responsibility for stupid mistranslations.
This is really nice! Actually playable, rather than most homebrew based on another source.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-09-04, 01:00 PM
What the guy above said; in fact, most abilities could do with an "at will" or uses per day listing. Just for clarity.

Except for Channel Energy and Physician-Assisted Homicide, everything is at-will; if it doesn't mention a use limit, it doesn't have one.

Hm... I see that he's proficient with Light armor, but has nothing that allows him to use it without ASF. Intentional?

Nope, an artifact of when this was a divine caster. Changed.

Ausgezeichnet!
All translations are from babelfish. I claim no responsibility for stupid mistranslations.
This is really nice! Actually playable, rather than most homebrew based on another source.

Thanks! No worries, I don't speak much German either.

Roderick_BR
2011-09-04, 03:45 PM
I LOVE THIS DOCTOR!

An interesting way to be a "healbot", where you are still effective and have a better support hole. The various ways to restore HP reminds me a bit of ToB (not a bad thing). I wouldn't mind trying it sometime.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-09-04, 08:06 PM
I LOVE THIS DOCTOR!

An interesting way to be a "healbot", where you are still effective and have a better support hole. The various ways to restore HP reminds me a bit of ToB (not a bad thing). I wouldn't mind trying it sometime.

I'd love to have someone playtest this. If you ever do give it a try, let me know how it plays.

Lappy9000
2011-09-05, 01:50 AM
You are great doktor!

This is awesome! Love the class abilities and polish. Good job :smallcool:

gooddragon1
2011-09-05, 02:08 AM
Is it really fair to have a limitless source of healing? Most of the ones I've seen can only heal up to half...

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-09-05, 05:30 AM
Is it really fair to have a limitless source of healing? Most of the ones I've seen can only heal up to half...

The entire focus of the class is on healing, and unlimited healing isn't really all that hard to get; while the medic gets it a bit earlier than some other methods, it starts off as roughly comparable to a cure light wounds (a 20 Int gives you 7 HP healed, vs. 1d8+1 for a Healing domain cleric or 1d8+6 for a comparable healer). This class is attempting to make in-combat healing worthwhile, and I think it does pretty well at that goal.

Dryad
2011-09-05, 09:45 AM
The entire focus of the class is on healing, and unlimited healing isn't really all that hard to get; while the medic gets it a bit earlier than some other methods, it starts off as roughly comparable to a cure light wounds (a 20 Int gives you 7 HP healed, vs. 1d8+1 for a Healing domain cleric or 1d8+6 for a comparable healer). This class is attempting to make in-combat healing worthwhile, and I think it does pretty well at that goal.
While true, there is no limit to the Medic's healing, while Clerics only have a few spells per day.
That means pretty much unlimited adventuring for non-vancian parties. While the limit of spells, especially in early levels, can be annoying as hell, the other end of the spectrum, unlimited healing, also has its problems. It easily turns a group immortal.

SamBurke
2011-09-05, 10:09 AM
While true, there is no limit to the Medic's healing, while Clerics only have a few spells per day.
That means pretty much unlimited adventuring for non-vancian parties. While the limit of spells, especially in early levels, can be annoying as hell, the other end of the spectrum, unlimited healing, also has its problems. It easily turns a group immortal.

If, as a DM, you are worried about this, you obviously haven't heard of special attacks.

Getting rid of conditions is significantly harder for this class. XD.

I LOVE THIS, though. GOOOOOOD stuff.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-09-05, 11:39 AM

A dread necromancer in a party who all take Tomb-Tainted Soul, or a crusader with Martial Spirit in any party, can achieve unlimited healing at level 1, and a few levels after that any heal-to-half ability (Vigor aura, Touch of Healing, etc.) plus wands of lesser vigor or another method of cheap efficient healing means that you don't worry about HP between combats.

Unlimited healing is this class's schtick. It doesn't make you immune to conditions or make them easy to remove (until later levels with very limited uses) and its healing doesn't come in large enough chunks to make unlimited combat healing a problem.

Surrealistik
2011-09-05, 09:50 PM
Out of combat/encounters, the Medic's healing should be much more effective (up to 3x as much) as per TF2.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-09-05, 10:11 PM
Out of combat/encounters, the Medic's healing should be much more effective (up to 3x as much) as per TF2.

So it should; I can't believe I forgot that! Fixed.

Bovine Colonel
2011-09-06, 07:00 PM
It seems to me that the Invulnerability feature should actually make the patient invulnerable. As in, immunity to physical damage and other effects that can directly cause unconsciousness or death before considering the patient's current status.

Also, should the "most recent" target maybe not qualify as the patient? This way if someone (aka a Pyro) separates the Medic and his patient the Ubercharge stops affecting the patient.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-09-06, 08:24 PM
It seems to me that the Invulnerability feature should actually make the patient invulnerable. As in, immunity to physical damage and other effects that can directly cause unconsciousness or death before considering the patient's current status.

Invulnerability effects don't show up until very high levels, generally speaking (c.f. timeless body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/timelessBody.htm)), and even the vaunted transcend mortality doesn't make you actually invulnerable for the duration, so I felt actual invulnerability would be a bit too good for something available starting at 8th level.

Also, should the "most recent" target maybe not qualify as the patient? This way if someone (aka a Pyro) separates the Medic and his patient the Ubercharge stops affecting the patient.

ÜberCharge should have the same "within 30 feet" clause as Personal Physician; fixed.

GFawkes
2011-09-06, 09:26 PM
Dang. I was working on a Medic Class. But you beat me to it. But if we worked together.. Hmmm..

Let's go practice medicine

Maalketh
2011-09-08, 02:30 PM
Currently the Armor Proficiency area talks about Bard spells, but the Spells section talks about the healer spell list; you may want to fix this or clarify.

Also this class is AWESOME, I plan on trying to get my DM to let me play it.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-09-08, 04:22 PM
Currently the Armor Proficiency area talks about Bard spells, but the Spells section talks about the healer spell list; you may want to fix this or clarify.

Argh, copy-paste again. Fixed.

Also this class is AWESOME, I plan on trying to get my DM to let me play it.

Thanks! Let me know how things turn out if you do.

Surrealistik
2011-09-09, 02:40 PM
I think you should add an Amputator taunt functionality, allowing him to heal everyone in a radius, but rending him immobile and vulnerable to attack.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-09-09, 03:10 PM
I think you should add an Amputator taunt functionality, allowing him to heal everyone in a radius, but rending him immobile and vulnerable to attack.

Channel Energy already does the area-healing duty, and he already has a pseudo-taunt in Shoot the Medic First; I didn't think there needed to be another ability that did essentially the same thing.

Surrealistik
2011-09-09, 03:13 PM
Channel Energy already does the area-healing duty, and he already has a pseudo-taunt in Shoot the Medic First; I didn't think there needed to be another ability that did essentially the same thing.

Channel Energy isn't at-will, and Shoot the Medic isn't quite the same thing as an AoE heal gambit at the expense of explicit vulnerabilies/defense reduction.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-09-09, 03:32 PM
Channel Energy isn't at-will, and Shoot the Medic isn't quite the same thing as an AoE heal gambit at the expense of explicit vulnerabilies/defense reduction.

This is true, however they do occupy the same conceptual space. Also, the Amputator heals for approximately 6-8 seconds, which is just 1 round's worth of Personal Physician healing in a small radius, which isn't really worth it if there's some sort of drawback or vulnerability.

Now, what I could do is add some AoE heal that requires a full-round action, which would not be a drawback or vulnerability per se but would effectively immobilize the medic while using it. What do you think?

Surrealistik
2011-09-09, 03:36 PM
Now, what I could do is add some AoE heal that requires a full-round action, which would not be a drawback or vulnerability per se but would effectively immobilize the medic while using it. What do you think?

That's generally what I had in mind, an at-will full round personal physician AoE heal. Remember that it works through walls and obstacles!

AC or Save penalties until the start of the Medic's next turn could be used to balance it out.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-09-09, 03:55 PM
That's generally what I had in mind, an at-will full round personal physician AoE heal. Remember that it works through walls and obstacles!

AC or Save penalties until the start of the Medic's next turn could be used to balance it out.

Added Patch Them Up. How's that?

Surrealistik
2011-09-09, 04:46 PM
Added Patch Them Up. How's that?

Increase the range of the mass healing and it's good to go.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-09-09, 06:47 PM
Increase the range of the mass healing and it's good to go.

Increased it to 10 feet.

Surrealistik
2011-09-09, 06:52 PM
Increased it to 10 feet.

Hmm, I think putting it at half the distance of the Personal Physician's healing range would be good.