PDA

View Full Version : Undead Barbarian?

skycycle blues
2011-09-04, 01:53 PM
I'm designing enemies for a game session that I will be DMing and the big bad is a Vampire that was once a Ninja, and then became a Barbarian before being turned and returning to his home city(where he lost everything) to seek some vengeance as a Ghost Faced Killer. However, as a Vampire, he doesn't have a constitution score.

I've seen in Mods Undead that add CHA to HP. Is anyone aware of anything like this that I could use to apply to this guy? Or any rage variants that for whatever reason don't affect, or rely on, Constitution?

Otherwise, I think I'll have to give him extend rage so that he can rage for more than 3 rounds if he runs out of ghost steps or loses advantage in the battle.

Draken
2011-09-04, 02:06 PM
You could make an "Undead racial substitution level" that ties Barbarian rage to charisma. If you are dming you are pretty much free to homebrew to your heart's content.

There is a modicum for precedent for it as well, seeing how undead often use charisma whenever they would use constituion (Save DCs for poisonous undead, concentration checks, Unholy Toughness, etc).

Zaq
2011-09-04, 02:19 PM
Yeah, by RAW, I don't know of anything that does what you're looking for. The feat Extend Rage is a halfhearted substitute, but whether it solves your problem really depends on how long your combats last.

Edit: Now that I think about it, Whirling Frenzy doesn't use CON, and Berserker Strength (PHB2) might work as well.

skycycle blues
2011-09-04, 02:25 PM
I think I'll treat Rage as increasing CHA then, and it will last for 3+ new CHA. That should be good and plenty.

hex0
2011-09-04, 02:27 PM
Boosting CHA seems wonky. You shouldn't look like this when you rage: http://images.wikia.com/spongebob/images/3/36/Handsome_Squidward.jpg

Give them a temporary HP boost or Fast Healing while raging? Or switch it to Ferocity (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a)? Be creative.

skycycle blues
2011-09-04, 02:30 PM
Boosting CHA doesn't have to make you look better, just gives you a stronger force of personality. I would probably listen to what a raging Vampire yells at me to do.

Zaq
2011-09-04, 02:36 PM
Boosting CHA doesn't have to make you look better, just gives you a stronger force of personality. I would probably listen to what a raging Vampire yells at me to do.

While 95% of the time I agree that CHA has absolutely nothing to do with physical appearance, in this particular case I think it's hilarious enough for Rage to turn you gorgeous! that I'm willing to make an exception.

IthroZada
2011-09-04, 02:43 PM
Well, intimidate is based off of Charisma, so I see it as more of a frightening rage. A vampire in a full on blood lust frenzy would be quite scary, and you'd be more willing to do what he asks out of fear than admiring his pecs.