PDA

View Full Version : Umagath - When devils aren't hardcore LE enough (Crunch my Fluff!)

Maquise
2011-09-06, 01:52 PM
Having come to the realization that my imagination has far outpaced my system mastery, I'm asking help for my fellow playgrounders: would you all kindly crunch my fluff? I'll post the fluff, and you can work out a stat block.

Umagath

No one knows where they came from. Some say they started as corrupted Inevitables. Others say they predated the devil's rule of the 9 Hells. In any event, the beings known as Umagath are unyielding in their drive towards their ultimate goal: the eradication of all free will.

Unlike their baatezu compatriots, there is no scheming, no plots or backstabbing amongst the ranks of the Umagath. That is because no Umagath has any original thought, any creative spark or hint of an imagination. They are all husks, the ultimate paradox; soulless remains of a soul.

Umagath primarily fill their ranks with lemures set aside as tithes by the dukes of the 9. However, they have another method of recruitment, one that hangs over the head of all devils; any devil who fails completely and utterly is culled by the Processors, their punishment being to be processed into an Umagath. This fate is feared by all devils, and may be the only thing devils fear.

Once processed, an Umagath has no trace of individuality. Any identification is removed, all higher cognition burned out. Umagath do not rise in ranks, instead each one is built for a purpose, which it serves until it is destroyed.

Maquise
2011-09-06, 02:01 PM
Reserved for Stats

Going for both 3.5 and PF compatibility.

Umagath Subtype
Umagath are a lawful-evil race of Outsiders native to the Nine Hells and dedicated to eradicating free will. In addition to the normal Outsider traits, all Umagath possess the following traits:

No Intelligence score
Low-light vision
Darkvision 60ft
Immunity to phantasms and morale effects.
Immunity to poison, paralysis, disease, and necromancy effects.
Can heal by any normal means and by any means that a Construct may be healed.
Not subject to critical hits, death from massive damage, nonlethal damage, or ability damage.
As an Umagath is constructed from vivisected outsider matter, it is difficult to destroy and gains bonus hit points based on size as a Construct would.
Does not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Processor
Appearing as a large 10-limbed metal spider-like creature, the Processor is walks on four legs. The rest of its appendages, aside from two gigantic graspers, end in wicked-looking instruments.

Processor
Medium Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar, Lawful, Umagath)
Hit Dice: 6d10 (30)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+10 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+14
Attack: Slam +10 (1d8+6)
Full Attack: 2 slams +10 (1d8+6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Process, Summon Umagath
Special Qualities: Alien Aura, Construct Traits, DR 5/silver
Saves: Fort --, Ref +2, Will --
Abilities: Strength 22, Dexterity 10, Constitution --, Intelligence --, Wisdom 14, Charisma 8
Skills: Climb +15, Listen +5, Spot +5
Feats: Improved Grapple, Power Attack, Improved Sunder
Environment: Nine Hells of Baator
Organization: Solitary or Troop (2-10)
Challenge Rating: 5ish?
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Lawful Evil
Advancement: 7-10 (Medium), 11-15 (Large), 16-20 (Huge)*
Level Adjustment: --
*Once converted into Processors, no Devil can advance in Hit Dice. However, larger Devils converted into Processors keep any hit dice over 6, up to 20.

Combat:
Processors generally ignore any being that they do not have explicit orders to kill or collect. However, if attacked, they will retaliate. The processor will only target opponents which have dealt it damage or a harmful effect, even if there is a more powerful or strategic foe nearby. However, if ordered by a Devil or a stronger Umagath, Processors can act with a surprising amount of strategy, following orders to the letter even if it means certain death.
Improved Grab (Ex): Upon a successful slam attack, the Processor can immediately initiate a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.
Process (Ex): If a Processor Pins a Lawful Evil outsider opponent, they can, with another successful grapple check, implant a small piece of corrupted metal into the opponent’s body. The opponent must make a successful Will save versus DC 20 or immediately acquires the Husk template and willingly follows the Processor to complete its grotesque transformation.
Summon Umagath (Su): As a standard action, the Processor can attempt to summon another Umagath to its aid. It may summon a single Processor with a 50% chance of success. This summoned Processor cannot use any summoning abilities for one hour after being summoned.
Alien Aura (Su): All Umagath represent small facets of something utterly alien and inimical to all life, both mundane and supernatural, native and extraplanar. Any creature approaching within 20 feet of the Processor must make a Fortitude Save versus DC 14 or be shaken for one round per hit die of the processor. Creatures need only make this save once per 24 hours, and if the creature makes its save, it is immune to the effects of that particular Processor’s Alien Aura for 24 hours. In addition, Anyone targeting a Processor with a thought detection, mind control, or telepathic ability brushes against the Umagath Overmind and takes 1d4 points of Wisdom damage.
Constructed (Ex): Although Processors are outsiders, their bodies are constructed of physical components, and they function as constructs. For the purposes of effects targeting creatures by type (such as a ranger’s favored enemy and bane weapons), Processors count as both outsiders and constructs. They are immune to death effects, disease, mind-affecting effects, necromancy effects, paralysis, poison, sleep, stun, and any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless). Processors are not subject to nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain. They are not at risk of death from massive damage. They have bonus hit points as Constructs of their size.

Rarely leaving the Nine Hells, Processors have one task. They retrieve devils designated for processing, perform the torturous acts themselves, and equip and maintain the legions of the Umagath.

Thanks byaku rai

Husk (Template)
This twisted form is barely recognizable as a form of Devil. However, it has undergone a mutilating transformation. It turns a featureless, cagelike mask of a head towards you.

"Husk" is an acquired template that can be added to any Lawful Evil Outsider.
Gains the Umagath subtype.
Speed: The husk's speed becomes 20 feet.

Attack: All husk's attack are treated as cold iron. In addition, they count as possessing armor spikes.

Abilities: Husks have no Intelligence score.

Special Qualities:

Relentless: The husk ignores any difficult terrain it crosses, and gains a +5 bonus to Bull Rush and Overrun attempts.

The penalties for failure in the Nine Hells are myriad, and all terrible. However, those devils misfortunate enough to be deemed irreparable failures are cast to the Procesors of the Umagath. Then, they are stripped of any unique identifying traits, and ususally are given new, twisted forms. Their faces are almost always covered in a featureless iron mask, and rusty metal juts out at regular angles.

Aggressor

The asymmetric form before you stands nearly 8 feet tall, but its mass of flesh is hunched over on itself. Encased completely in jagged, rusty metal, it moves with a heavy, deliberate gait. One arm is complete, ending in a clawed, meaty fist. The other ends at the elbow, where an unnaturally long serrated blade is attached.

The Umagath's main foot soldiers, the Aggressors are designed for sawing through legions of demons and other foes of the Hells. Marching in perfect lockstep, Aggressors attack in phalanxes, slowly but relentlessly advancing. One of their preferred methods of dealing with foes is grabbing them, and sawing them in half with their massive blade.

Defiler

This humanoid Umagath is covered in chains and tattered flesh. Its face is like an incomplete clay sculpture, featureless and cracked. Its arms end in wickedly curved scythe blades.

The swiftest of the Umagath, Defilers serve as scouts and skirmishers.

Maquise
2011-09-06, 02:03 PM
Reserved for Misc

Maquise
2011-09-06, 02:04 PM
Alright, first impressions?

paddyfool
2011-09-06, 02:33 PM
I like the concept. I'd have to wonder what their involvement with the blood war might be, however. (I'd imagine they'd be more about just blindly reacting to demonic attack than much else).

Maquise
2011-09-06, 02:52 PM
I forgot to mention that. Umagath primarily serve as shock troopers and cannon fodder in the Bloodwar.

I need to develop their command structure more, but sufficed to say, they obey the archduke of whatever plane they are native to, following orders to the letter. Contingents can be assigned to the command of specific devils, regardless of rank. However, these would have to already be under the command of the devil's superior. To demonstrate:

Mephistopheles commands a ludicrous number of Umagath. He sends on of his Pit Fiends to a front in the Blood War with 10,000 Umagath. The Pit Fiend in turn sends a Bone Devil under his command to secure his flank with 100 Umagath, taken from his 10,000.

Maquise
2011-09-08, 07:42 PM
Ack! I just can't seem to get this done. In all honesty, I think I need to play a lot more before I try to homebrew at this level.

Would someone mind picking up with the crunch?

byaku rai
2011-09-09, 08:46 AM
Umm... how can they have a goal when they don't have any will of their own?
/nitpick

Also, I'll run up some 3.5 stats for the processor if you like. Warning, though, I have no idea when it comes to PF.

Maquise
2011-09-09, 10:33 AM
That's... complicated. They're sort of a hivemind, and I'm still debating whether or not I want to actually give them the hivemind stat. Two major inspirations for the Umagath were the Necrons and Borg, if that helps you out.

The Umagath are driven by a strange purpose. When not following the orders of another breed of devil, they act in concert, without any apparent hierarchy/

byaku rai
2011-09-09, 12:32 PM
I can work with that. Love the Necrons. :smallbiggrin: I'll go for a CR of about 4-5 for the processor, and post it here when it's done.

And here we go. :smallbiggrin: hope you like it.

Processor
Medium Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar, Lawful, Construct, Umagath)
Hit Dice: 6d10 (30)
Armor Class: 20 (+10 natural)
Attack: Slam +10 (1d8+6)
Full Attack: 2 slams +10 (1d8+6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./10 ft.
Saves: Fort --, Ref +2, Will --
Abilities: Strength 22, Dexterity 10, Constitution --, Intelligence --, Wisdom 14, Charisma 8
Challenge Rating: 5ish?
*Once converted into Processors, no Devil can advance in Hit Dice. However, larger Devils converted into Processors keep any hit dice over 6, up to 20.

Combat:
Processors generally ignore any being that they do not have explicit orders to kill or collect. However, if attacked, they will retaliate. The processor will only target opponents which have dealt it damage or a harmful effect, even if there is a more powerful or strategic foe nearby. However, if ordered by a Devil or a stronger Umagath, Processors can act with a surprising amount of strategy, following orders to the letter even if it means certain death.
Improved Grab (Ex): Upon a successful slam attack, the Processor can immediately initiate a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.
Process (Ex): If a Processor Pins a Lawful Evil opponent, they can, with another successful grapple check, implant a small piece of corrupted metal into the opponent’s body. The opponent must make a successful Will save versus DC 20 or immediately acquires the Husk template and willingly follows the Processor to complete its grotesque transformation.
Summon Umagath (Su): As a standard action, the Processor can attempt to summon another Umagath to its aid. It may summon a single Processor with a 50% chance of success. This summoned Processor cannot use any summoning abilities for one hour after being summoned.
Alien Aura (Su): All Umagath represent small facets of something utterly alien and inimical to all life, both mundane and supernatural, native and extraplanar. Any creature approaching within 20 feet of the Processor must make a Fortitude Save versus DC 14 or be shaken for one round per hit die of the processor. Creatures need only make this save once per 24 hours, and if the creature makes its save, it is immune to the effects of that particular Processor’s Alien Aura for 24 hours. In addition, Anyone targeting a Processor with a thought detection, mind control, or telepathic ability brushes against the Umagath Overmind and takes 1d4 points of Wisdom damage.

Maquise
2011-09-12, 10:48 AM
Byaku:

Looks good for the most part. I can't confirm that CR, but I'll leave it as it is until I get more advice.

byaku rai
2011-09-12, 02:04 PM
Glad you like. ^^

Debihuman
2011-09-12, 05:39 PM
First, you have a new Subtype called Umagath, but you have not created any mechanics for it. What are the Umagath traits? Construct is NEVER a Subtype unless you mean for these to be Augmented Constructs.

If you are keeping the Construct HD, you should probably also keep the bonus HP that come from the Constructs size. Medium Constructs have +20 bonus hit points based on their size. 6 x 5.5 = 33 not 30 for its base hit points.

Why are these so slow? The average speed for a Medium creature is 30 feet and these are 20.

Medium creatures have a reach of 5 ft.

The DC for the Will save in Process should be 19 if the save is Strength-based.

Fort and Will are not --. Constructs have no good saves but every creature has a Fort and Will save even without bonuses from Con and Int. The base poor save for a 6 HD creature is +2.

Advancement isn't based on size either since you have Medium Processors with 7-10 HD. I recommend you use the word "tougher" instead of "larger".

Processor
Medium Outsider (Augmented Construct, Evil, Extraplanar, Lawful, Umagath)
Hit Dice: 6d10+20 (53 hp)
Armor Class: 20 (+10 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 20
Attack: Slam +10 melee (1d8+6)
Full Attack: 2 slams +10 melee (1d8+6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2
Challenge Rating: 5

*Once converted into Processors, no Devil can advance in Hit Dice. However, tougher Devils converted into Processors keep any hit dice over 6, up to 20.

Combat

Alien Aura (Su): All Umagath represent small facets of something utterly alien and inimical to all life, both mundane and supernatural, native and extraplanar. Any creature approaching within 20 feet of the Processor must make a Fortitude Save versus DC 14 or be Shaken for one round per hit die of the processor. Creatures need only make this save once per 24 hours, and if the creature makes its save, it is immune to the effects of that particular Processor’s Alien Aura for 24 hours.

In addition, Anyone targeting a Processor with a thought detection, mind control, or telepathic ability brushes against the Umagath Overmind and takes 1d4 points of Wisdom damage.

Process (Ex): If a Processor Pins a Lawful Evil opponent, they can, with another successful grapple check, implant a small piece of corrupted metal into the opponent’s body. The opponent must make a successful Will save versus DC DC 19 or immediately acquires the Husk template and willingly follows the Processor to complete its grotesque transformation. The save is strength-based.

Debby

Maquise
2011-09-12, 05:49 PM
First, you have a new Subtype called Umagath, but you have not created any mechanics for it. What are the Umagath traits? Construct is NEVER a Subtype unless you mean for these to be Augmented Constructs.

If you are keeping the Construct HD, you should probably also keep the bonus HP that come from the Constructs size. Medium Constructs have +20 bonus hit points based on their size. 6 x 5.5 = 33 not 30 for its base hit points.

I suspect Byaku based the subtypes on what I originally had, which was copied from the Inevitable entry. As with Inevitables, Processors (and only Processors) are construct-like outsiders. They should probably have the Constructed extraordinary ability.

Why are these so slow? The average speed for a Medium creature is 30 feet and these are 20.

I'm still writing the Umagath subtype. One of their abilities gives them below-average speed, but makes them immune to difficult terrain.

Stats
Debby
I'll be sure to update this. Thanks for the help!

Ziegander
2011-09-12, 06:38 PM
I suspect Byaku based the subtypes on what I originally had, which was copied from the Inevitable entry. As with Inevitables, Processors (and only Processors) are construct-like outsiders. They should probably have the Constructed extraordinary ability.

Well, Inevitables get to keep their Int scores while Processors do not, and while that seems to be the only real difference between the two of them, I think there ought to be bigger changes made.

I'm still writing the Umagath subtype. One of their abilities gives them below-average speed, but makes them immune to difficult terrain.

Well, building off of my initial comment, what if the Umagath subtype was an Outsider subtype, NOT a Construct subtype, and provided a handful of Construct traits to add to and modify certain Outsider traits.

For example, here are my suggestions:

Umagath Subtype
Umagath are a lawful-evil race of Outsiders native to the Nine Hells and dedicated to eradicating free will. In addition to the normal Outsider traits, all Umagath possess the following traits:

No Intelligence score
Low-light vision
Darkvision 60ft
Immunity to phantasms and morale effects.
Immunity to poison, paralysis, disease, and necromancy effects.
Can heal by any normal means and by any means that a Construct may be healed.
Not subject to critical hits, death from massive damage, nonlethal damage, or ability damage.
As an Umagath is constructed from vivisected outsider matter, it is difficult to destroy and gains bonus hit points based on size as a Construct would.
Does not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Golden-Esque
2011-09-13, 12:36 AM
Alright, first impressions?

@This thread's title:

Infantcide; when patricide and matricide aren't hardcore twisted enough for you!

Or possibly:

Devils. IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

Debihuman
2011-09-13, 08:29 AM

That could be. However, your mistake was in trying to make Construct a Subtype when the correct subtype would be Augmented Subtype. The Augmented subtype is always paired with the creature's original Type (in this case Construct). This is how you get an Outsider with Construct features. It really is the best way to go. I think that is what you mean by "Constructed extraordinary ability" but I'm not sure.

Cool. I'm looking forward to seeing your version of the Umagath.

I'll be sure to update this. Thanks for the help!

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

One more thing: Since these have feats and skills, they aren't mindless. If they have a hive mind (two words which is different from hivemind one word and can be found in BoVD), then they should probably just have lower than average Int (6 or 8). If you really want them to be mindless, then they shouldn't have any feats or skills.

Debby

byaku rai
2011-09-13, 06:46 PM
Derp. It never occurred to me that a mindless creature shouldn't have skills and feats. Thanks Debby. >.<

RedWarrior0
2011-09-13, 09:59 PM
You can give them those feats and skills as bonus feats and racial bonuses, however. And I feel like, since bonus feats are non-negotiable while not-bonus feats are negotiable (and thus not 1337 LAWFUL D00DZ!), it seems more thematic for feats to be racial bonus. Same goes for skills.

Edit: and wisdom bonus should go onto will saves.

Maquise
2011-09-19, 11:01 AM
Added two more for crunching.

Debihuman
2011-09-19, 12:09 PM
Construct is not a Subtype; Augmented Construct is a Subtype.

Debby

Maquise
2012-01-17, 04:42 PM
Just came back to this after a while. Nothing new to add?

DracoDei
2012-01-17, 08:42 PM
Derp. It never occurred to me that a mindless creature shouldn't have skills and feats. Thanks Debby. >.<
Actually, in this case I would let them keep all skill ranks for skills associated with physical ability scores, plus spot, listen, and maybe a few others. Just because a wall-crawling, jumping demon gets turned into one of these things, I don't see why it should become a worse climber or jumper. Stealthy mindless creatures are even more creepy (but not more dangerous) in my book.

For similar reasons I would have their list of feats remain unchanged.