PDA

View Full Version : Echo Bazaar

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-07, 05:51 AM
Anyone else playing this intriguing little browser game?
I started a few days ago, after hearing about it on Extra Credits, and I must say, it's quite fun. Set in a sort of victorian London that disappeared into the earth years ago the game is full of nice writing, intriguing mysteries and dark humor.
A highly recommended way of wasting a few minutes here and there.

Echo Bazaar (http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com/)

Mr.Silver
2011-09-07, 06:02 AM
I used to play it a fair bit. Kind of got bored once my main stats were hitting the 80s-90s region though, as it just becomes a bit of a grind fest.

Eurus
2011-09-07, 07:44 AM
Yeah, I play it. It's a bit grindy, yeah, but it doesn't require much of a time investment and the writing is often quite fun. My stats are currently hovering around 60ish right now.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-07, 08:54 AM
100 Watchful (+7 with my current loadout), Shadowy 35 (-4 with my items), Dangerous 97 (-3 with items), and Persuasive 53 (-3 with items). I've gotten back to a point where some really interesting stuff (Black Ribbon, University Department of _______, Labyrinth of Tigers) is happening...oh, and I'm saving up money to buy Prisoner's Honey for a room at the Royal Bethlehem Hotel. Yes, you can do that.

The writing is very interesting, as is the main mechanic of the game. I just wish I had access to some of the earlier storylets that were put in after I joined on.

Eurus
2011-09-07, 09:41 AM
I have a couple different equipment sets, so I can gear up for either +9 watchful, +10 dangerous, +7 shadowy, or +6 persuasive. It'll be +7 persuasive once I manage to get two more sapphires for that walking stick...

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-07, 04:11 PM
Hehe, I still have a lot to discover compared to you guys then, I got +21 shadowy, +29 persuasive, +17 watchful and +3 dangerous :smalltongue:

Btw, does anyone remember how to get souls? I need one to activate a card (I really like to play with the devils...)

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-08, 12:57 PM
If nothing else, you can sell items in the Bazaar to buy souls. They go for 4 pence a pop, I think.

You wanna know something that's massively crazy? I'm saving up for a storylet that requires 40,000 Prisoner's Honey (4 pence apiece). And I'm well over halfway there.

Eurus: Very nice! I'm not sure where to find all the gems for the walking-stick...

Ogremindes
2011-09-09, 04:17 AM
I've started poking around a bit the last couple of days. Apparently I'm deranged from nightmares already.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-09, 09:47 AM
I've started poking around a bit the last couple of days. Apparently I'm deranged from nightmares already.
Keep an eye on that meter, or you go to somewhere else entirely. (I love the little Quality descriptors they tagged on. It makes gaining levels in any quality mean a whole lot more.)

Eurus
2011-09-09, 11:31 AM
If nothing else, you can sell items in the Bazaar to buy souls. They go for 4 pence a pop, I think.

You wanna know something that's massively crazy? I'm saving up for a storylet that requires 40,000 Prisoner's Honey (4 pence apiece). And I'm well over halfway there.

Eurus: Very nice! I'm not sure where to find all the gems for the walking-stick...

Venom-rubies can be obtained by winning mushroom-races. I think the only reliable way to get sapphires is in the Labyrinth of Tigers... I don't even remember where I got my first three from.

I did have a whoooole lot of stuff saved up, but I sold quite a bit to buy my Patent Scrutinizer Deluxe. So much jade... Got a good half-dozen houses, though. All of the cheap ones, anyway.

Also, ambitions. Who has what, out of curiosity? Heart's Desire for me. Managed to finish gathering first city coins, just grinding stats up now for the next few steps.

Toast1862
2011-09-09, 12:42 PM
I picked it up yesterday, shortly after a friend who suggested it to me. Absolutely LOVING it, especially the look and style and writing. The Night Circus (http://www.nightcircus.co.uk) is also very very nice. Made by the same people and has the same general gameplay, but it's more of an adventure than a game (no stats or weapons or anything, just story) and it's in a different setting. It's a strange, magical circus in the dead of night that you get to enjoy and unveil the secrets of.

As for where I am in Echo Bazaar... I don't even have every stat in the double digits yet. :smallredface: I really just started yesterday, and I have a few hours until I can start playing again. Hey, maybe we in this thread should follow each other to become friends ingame? I have a throwaway twitter for it found here (http://twitter.com/#!/ClaraToast), and I would be glad to follow anyone in here for the game. :smallbiggrin:

Eurus
2011-09-09, 02:31 PM
Sure! I'm Eurus500 on Twitter, and I'm always happy to do some cat-passing, nightmare-sharing, or whatever social actions.

Toast1862
2011-09-09, 02:41 PM
Sure! I'm Eurus500 on Twitter, and I'm always happy to do some cat-passing, nightmare-sharing, or whatever social actions.

Done. :smallbiggrin: Pleasure to meet and do business with you.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-09, 03:17 PM
Venom-rubies can be obtained by winning mushroom-races. I think the only reliable way to get sapphires is in the Labyrinth of Tigers... I don't even remember where I got my first three from.
Ah, okay! And good thing I have a pass to the Labyrinth...

I did have a whoooole lot of stuff saved up, but I sold quite a bit to buy my Patent Scrutinizer Deluxe. So much jade... Got a good half-dozen houses, though. All of the cheap ones, anyway.
Whew. I know the feeling.

Also, ambitions. Who has what, out of curiosity? Heart's Desire for me. Managed to finish gathering first city coins, just grinding stats up now for the next few steps.
I have Nemesis, the guy killed my daughter, so I'm after him. I'm raising my Dangerous (I think it's at 107 or so with items now...maybe that's enough lol), and then it's off to the Tomb-Colonies to showdown.

At the moment, though, I'm grinding commodities to purchase a reservation at the RBH.

Also, I'm playersideblog on the game. It'd be good to have some people to do social actions with!

Aidan305
2011-09-09, 03:45 PM
There are a fair few places once you've gone Further in the Fallen London where you can get the Venom Rubies, and I believe that you can buy the in the Bazaar Side Streets.

Nemesis for me. I'm saving up for my Ship so that I can cross the Unterzee to the Iron Republic.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-09, 04:48 PM
There are a fair few places once you've gone Further in the Fallen London where you can get the Venom Rubies, and I believe that you can buy the in the Bazaar Side Streets.

Ah...I've heard that you need the "Person of Little Consequence" Quality to go that way? Having entered the game early, I never had a chance at that little storylet when I started...although I managed to stumble across the Mysterious Benefactor bits in the Royal Bethlehem when I went mad, once. So maybe when the rest of that storylet pans out...

Ogremindes
2011-09-09, 04:53 PM

Heh. Maybe I shouldn't have played "graffiti with a sting" again...

Sir Dar
2011-09-09, 06:00 PM
I click on the link and am now playing this game.The writing does make it very interesting.Great for playing,inbetween loading let's play videos.

User name on Twiitter is evilsomeone.
If anyone wants to join up and take over the world do some evil!save the world or something yeah!
Right now just raising up my watchful and persuasive stats.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-09, 06:16 PM
Awesome! More delicious friends!

Eurus
2011-09-09, 06:22 PM
Ah...I've heard that you need the "Person of Little Consequence" Quality to go that way? Having entered the game early, I never had a chance at that little storylet when I started...although I managed to stumble across the Mysterious Benefactor bits in the Royal Bethlehem when I went mad, once. So maybe when the rest of that storylet pans out...

I thought "A Person of Some Little Consequence" was the story that opens with a card available once at least one stat hits 100? And you need all stats at 100 to finish it, or spend fate...

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-09, 07:45 PM
I thought "A Person of Some Little Consequence" was the story that opens with a card available once at least one stat hits 100? And you need all stats at 100 to finish it, or spend fate...
Correct. I'm stuck on the Persuasive portion of that (so maybe I should go and do some grinding there...lol), but there's also a similarly-named story that I think opens upon your debut into EB, provided you had the Mysterious Protegé quality.

Eurus
2011-09-09, 08:28 PM
Correct. I'm stuck on the Persuasive portion of that (so maybe I should go and do some grinding there...lol), but there's also a similarly-named story that I think opens upon your debut into EB, provided you had the Mysterious Protegé quality.

Oh, I see. I'm pretty sure that the 100-stat story is the one that opens up the Bazaar Sidestreets, though, isn't it?

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-10, 12:45 AM
Oh, I see. I'm pretty sure that the 100-stat story is the one that opens up the Bazaar Sidestreets, though, isn't it?
Ahhh okay, that would make sense.

Ogremindes
2011-09-11, 12:49 AM
So, what sort of stuff is good to sell? Or is there a better way to get money?

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-11, 01:31 AM
So, what sort of stuff is good to sell? Or is there a better way to get money?
Be very cautious about selling stuff. Sell bulk stuff that you're able to farm aplenty. For instance, once you get to 73 Dangerous, there's a running story at Wolfstack Docks that lets you build up a Running Battle quality and win loads of Rostygold. That's useful to sell. Or an investigation at very high levels of Watchful in the University that yields lots of Cryptic Clues.

Only sell when you need to buy something, because you never know when you might need one specific type of item.

Ogremindes
2011-09-11, 01:47 AM
Be very cautious about selling stuff. Sell bulk stuff that you're able to farm aplenty. For instance, once you get to 73 Dangerous, there's a running story at Wolfstack Docks that lets you build up a Running Battle quality and win loads of Rostygold. That's useful to sell. Or an investigation at very high levels of Watchful in the University that yields lots of Cryptic Clues.

Only sell when you need to buy something, because you never know when you might need one specific type of item.

I've got an Opportunity that calls for a Sulky Bat and have all of 5 pence to my name.

Ceric
2011-09-11, 02:01 AM
I always have zero pence (after one incident of misclicking and buying something I didn't want) and, if I want to buy something, I grind and then sell only what I've just grinded. Except for clothes. Nothing needs clothes, right? >.>

Eurus
2011-09-11, 10:04 AM
I've got an Opportunity that calls for a Sulky Bat and have all of 5 pence to my name.

That one just gives you some Connected: The Great Game (and you keep the bat). Not terrible, but nothing vital. And yeah, generally sell only things that you can easily farm. I also never sell anything that can't be bought from the Bazaar, just as a general rule, because if I did suddenly need it I'd be out of luck, heh.

But really, if you've got thousands of rostygold or jade or something laying around, you can probably sell some. It's the only way to buy decent equipment, which is very useful.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-11, 11:57 AM
That one just gives you some Connected: The Great Game (and you keep the bat). Not terrible, but nothing vital. And yeah, generally sell only things that you can easily farm. I also never sell anything that can't be bought from the Bazaar, just as a general rule, because if I did suddenly need it I'd be out of luck, heh.

But really, if you've got thousands of rostygold or jade or something laying around, you can probably sell some. It's the only way to buy decent equipment, which is very useful.
Yup! I remember getting that Opportunity...I've never dabbled much in the Great Game, though.

Oh, and you wanna hear a real noob story? Back when I first started, I had no clue that there were other locations (besides my Lodgings) you could immediately travel to. I just assumed that you had to unlock them. Yeah...so then I discovered that yes, there were plenty of places I could travel to in order to boost my various stats. Previously, I'd just assumed that Opportunity Cards were the main way for me to take actions.

Eurus
2011-09-11, 12:48 PM
Yup! I remember getting that Opportunity...I've never dabbled much in the Great Game, though.

Oh, and you wanna hear a real noob story? Back when I first started, I had no clue that there were other locations (besides my Lodgings) you could immediately travel to. I just assumed that you had to unlock them. Yeah...so then I discovered that yes, there were plenty of places I could travel to in order to boost my various stats. Previously, I'd just assumed that Opportunity Cards were the main way for me to take actions.

Hah, yeah, one of my friends had that problem until I pointed it out to him. Pretty funny.

Aidan305
2011-09-11, 03:00 PM
I always have zero pence (after one incident of misclicking and buying something I didn't want) and, if I want to buy something, I grind and then sell only what I've just grinded. Except for clothes. Nothing needs clothes, right? >.>

I believe you need them to access the Empress's Court.

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-11, 03:06 PM

I'm working on Heart's Desire right now, though I'm not sure where to go now. Got a note telling me to meet in the 'forgotten quarter', but I haven't found it yet. But I'm sure I'll stumble in there sooner or later. Half the fun's in finding new places after all :smallbiggrin:

I'm also hard at work building up my relationship with hell and raising the following quirks: Hedonist, ruthless, subtle and heartless.

Speaking of that, does anyone know how to raise heartless?

Eurus
2011-09-11, 09:25 PM
I'm working on Heart's Desire right now, though I'm not sure where to go now. Got a note telling me to meet in the 'forgotten quarter', but I haven't found it yet. But I'm sure I'll stumble in there sooner or later. Half the fun's in finding new places after all :smallbiggrin:

I'm also hard at work building up my relationship with hell and raising the following quirks: Hedonist, ruthless, subtle and heartless.

Speaking of that, does anyone know how to raise heartless?

Ah, you need to go to your lodgings and select "Open new areas" to get into the Forgotten Quarter. You'll need a London Street Sign, which is about four or five echoes.

Raising qualities like Heartless/ruthless/hedonist is generally done through various opportunity cards. For the most part, just take whatever options seem the most like whatever stat you want to raise.

Ceric
2011-09-12, 11:59 AM
I believe you need them to access the Empress's Court.

...Damn. Well, I can also get there (temporarily) with Society and Duchess connections, at least.

There should also be an option in your lodgings to find a path to the Forgotten Quarter, or whatever the storylet was called? That's what I had when I did Heart's Desire.

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-12, 12:17 PM
Ah, you need to go to your lodgings and select "Open new areas" to get into the Forgotten Quarter. You'll need a London Street Sign, which is about four or five echoes.

Raising qualities like Heartless/ruthless/hedonist is generally done through various opportunity cards. For the most part, just take whatever options seem the most like whatever stat you want to raise.

There should also be an option in your lodgings to find a path to the Forgotten Quarter, or whatever the storylet was called? That's what I had when I did Heart's Desire.

Aha! Thanks a bunch, I had completely forgotten about that option. I'm rarely visiting my lodgings, I prefer to spend my time at a party somewhere, with a drop of prisoner's honey and a decent bottle of (stolen) wine.

Seems like I can unlock the way to the Forgotten Quarter without a street sign too, I just need to risk my sanity (7 and rising, exciting :smallbiggrin:).

I've found cards that helps me raise all my stats except heartless... I guess I just need to keep looking then.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-12, 02:28 PM
I've found cards that helps me raise all my stats except heartless... I guess I just need to keep looking then.
IIRC, there's one that lets you read from different types of books. If you pick the swashbuckling story, that gives you Heartless.

Starwulf
2011-09-12, 05:27 PM
Sigh. This game sounded fairly interesting, so I just spent the last 30 minutes trying to get the site to load up, only to find out that it requires having a Twitter or Facebook account to play :-(. Le'sigh, that sucks. Oh well, guess I'll just keep reading about it on here ^^

Eurus
2011-09-12, 06:08 PM
Sigh. This game sounded fairly interesting, so I just spent the last 30 minutes trying to get the site to load up, only to find out that it requires having a Twitter or Facebook account to play :-(. Le'sigh, that sucks. Oh well, guess I'll just keep reading about it on here ^^

Yeah, I used the junk account that I have set up for a few little things.

Aidan305
2011-09-12, 06:19 PM
I would actually recommend setting up a twitter account purely for EBZ. There's some interesting RP can go on on twitter, especially once the Masters start getting themselves involved in the conversations.

Eurus
2011-09-12, 07:05 PM
I would actually recommend setting up a twitter account purely for EBZ. There's some interesting RP can go on on twitter, especially once the Masters start getting themselves involved in the conversations.

Bonus points if you get Mr. Eaten to reply.

Starwulf
2011-09-12, 10:36 PM
Do you actually need your twitter account for anything besides logging into the game? I mean, you don't have to do any tweets or anything to progress in the game right? I finally got a twitter account created(blech), but it took me forever, due to my dial-up sucking so badly since January(long story), and if it actually requires me to use twitter regularly, I'm screwed ^^

Ogremindes
2011-09-12, 11:27 PM
Do you actually need your twitter account for anything besides logging into the game? I mean, you don't have to do any tweets or anything to progress in the game right? I finally got a twitter account created(blech), but it took me forever, due to my dial-up sucking so badly since January(long story), and if it actually requires me to use twitter regularly, I'm screwed ^^

It doesn't, though you can get some extra turns each day by tweeting.

Eurus
2011-09-13, 04:57 AM
It doesn't, though you can get some extra turns each day by tweeting.

But you can do so by simply hitting a button in-game.

Starwulf
2011-09-13, 05:26 AM
Yeah, considering I"ll never actually use my twitter account for anything else, I went ahead and "tweeted" one of those little blurbs for an extra 10 actions. Kinda annoyed right now, almost out of actions for the day now :-(. 19 left. I have 9+1 Dangerous, 10 Watchful, and 2 Shadowy, 1 persuasive. I'm considering doing the "dangerous" major storyline involving the hunt of some mythical monster or whatever.

Very fun game though, glad I jumped through all the hoops to get to it :)

So, any tips for a beginner? I sold my iron manacles and anklets, and all my rostygold(well, I have more now), and some of another item so I could get myself a crappy little place to stay, but I haven't sold anything else since.

Seems like cards aren't to useful early on, or at least, I haven't had any good luck, most of the ones I've drawn were for stuff way out of my abilities(impossible to achieve things).

Ogremindes
2011-09-13, 05:37 AM
Based on my experience: keep poking around everywhere and never shy away from risks (OK, maybe skip things that are worse than 'chancy'). The 'Bad Things' that come with some qualities are as fun and interesting as everything else.

Ceric
2011-09-13, 11:35 AM
But you can do so by simply hitting a button in-game.

Yep, all the Twitter-related actions are done in-game, so you won't actually need to visit the Twitter website ever again.

You can also invite your followers/followees to social actions (private dinner, game of chess, etc) or ask them for help getting rid of your Menances.

So, any tips for a beginner? I sold my iron manacles and anklets, and all my rostygold(well, I have more now), and some of another item so I could get myself a crappy little place to stay, but I haven't sold anything else since.

Seems like cards aren't to useful early on, or at least, I haven't had any good luck, most of the ones I've drawn were for stuff way out of my abilities(impossible to achieve things).

Agreed with TPAM, just explore around and try everything. Even the risks aren't very bad because you still gain change points from failing storylets. Most of the early storylets don't have any Menances or other consequences from failing.

Sir Dar
2011-09-13, 03:49 PM
I have been wondering how you get confident smiles and i did not feel very smart when i found out the answer was in front of me the whole time.Have dinner with friends!So easy,yet i only just found out right now!

now i can at least get that heart's desire story line over with now.

Starwulf
2011-09-13, 04:32 PM
So, how often do you earn fate by going through the storylines? I've earned 2 thus far, wondering if I should just spend them once I get enough to get free actions, or if I'm patient enough I might earn enough to become an "Exceptional" friend/member, which requires 35 Fate for a month, which would be pretty nice, because 40 actions already seem waaaay to few.

Ceric
2011-09-13, 07:25 PM
I've gotten a grand total of 11 Fate, all from the early storylets only. It's not very common.

(My base stats are Persuasive 70, Watchful 46, Shadowy 43, Dangerous 39, for an idea of where I am in the game.)

Eurus
2011-09-13, 07:33 PM
Based on my experience: keep poking around everywhere and never shy away from risks (OK, maybe skip things that are worse than 'chancy'). The 'Bad Things' that come with some qualities are as fun and interesting as everything else.

I mostly agree with you -- Wounds, Scandal, and Suspicion aren't permanent inconveniences when they get too high. Nightmares gets rid of all of your Recurring Dreams, though, when it hits 8. If you want to follow those to their end, you'll want to be careful of failing high-level Watchful challenges. Once you get to about... 40 in a stat, the storylets that you unlock will inflict menaces on you when you fail.

Starwulf
2011-09-14, 05:53 AM
Well, I'm fully pulled into this game now, it's quite fun ^^ Glad I made the twitter account after-all. Trying to get the "Free offers" to load so I can spam through all the easily done ones so I can earn some fate coins, figure it'll mean some extra spam in my inbox, but if I can get 35 fate coins, doubling my total actions for a day would be well worth it.

Currently at 16+1 Dangerous, and I've officially started the Dangerous Ambition
11 Watchful
8 Persuasive
7 Shadowy

I have a ton of stuff, thinking I'm going to save up until I can earn enough for 500 Whispered Secrets, I have a Card in my hand right now that for 500 whispered secrets, I can move to a different place, and unlock a bit of storyline as well.

What I currently have(Spoilered for length: 1 Morelways 1872(my mos texpensive item, a 10 pence(selling) bottle of wine. 60 Rostygold, 41 Whispered Secrets, 8 lamplighter Beeswax, 44 Greyfields 1879, 25 Rats on a String, 30 Moon-pearls, 7 Glim, 2 Cryptic Clues, 3 Greyfields 1882, 8 Surface Currency. Anything there that stands out as useful to keep?

Aidan305
2011-09-14, 08:07 AM
Anything there that stands out as useful to keep?
Keep the Morelways. Not the other stuff.

Eurus
2011-09-14, 10:22 AM
Oh my. I just found a new Lodgings card. The Western Tower of the Brass Embassy. 40,000 souls for a room. Too awesome, but it'd be close to a month's worth of nonstop farming and I'm really not that patient. :smallfrown:

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-14, 11:22 AM
Oh my. I just found a new Lodgings card. The Western Tower of the Brass Embassy. 40,000 souls for a room. Too awesome, but it'd be close to a month's worth of nonstop farming and I'm really not that patient. :smallfrown:
I've been farming Prisoner's Honey (or, rather, stuff to buy Prisoner's Honey with) to buy a reservation at the Royal Bethlehem Hotel...currently at 23,000 Honey. But it's way too awesome for me to pass up.

Aidan305
2011-09-14, 11:35 AM
I picked up a premises at the Bazaar a few months back. Took me about two months of solid grinding to get the 80k whispered secrets I needed

Eurus
2011-09-14, 11:57 AM
I've been farming Prisoner's Honey (or, rather, stuff to buy Prisoner's Honey with) to buy a reservation at the Royal Bethlehem Hotel...currently at 23,000 Honey. But it's way too awesome for me to pass up.

Heh. The Royal Bethlehem is posh, to be sure... but I think the Embassy has better company. :smallamused:

Starwulf
2011-09-14, 01:49 PM
Holy crap, you guys have a TON Of stuff needed just to upgrade your lodgings. Do rewards start getting that much better? I'm looking at stuff in the Bazaar that costs like 10 Echos and what not, and I"m just like "Man, that's going to take forever to grind out"

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-14, 02:08 PM
Those are pretty high-level, I think both of those unlock at 70 Watchful. And yeah, the rewards start getting better. I have an action at my current location that rewards you with 50 Primordial Shrieks, which equals out to an Echo.

Eurus
2011-09-14, 05:41 PM
Those are pretty high-level, I think both of those unlock at 70 Watchful. And yeah, the rewards start getting better. I have an action at my current location that rewards you with 50 Primordial Shrieks, which equals out to an Echo.

Sweet. The best I can get right now is more like 33 cryptic clues or 66 pearls.

Starwulf
2011-09-15, 05:01 PM
I'm kinda irritated with Echo Bazaar at the moment. Spent hours yesterday/last night completing a ton of their Free offers. Enough to earn me 52 Fate coins, and instead I only ended up with 7 >< I just got done sending them an email, hopefully it doesn't take too terribly long for them to fix it. I have confirmation emails and log-ins for survey sites and surveys completed to prove that I finished them all, lol.

I want my Exceptional Friend Subscription! Need...More....ACTIONS!

Kinda sad, this game is just so addicting, lol.

Edit: Also, I'm on an interesting Storylet, I thought I had completed it, but it was still showing up, so I re-investigated, and opened it up a bit further, and then kept doing it over and over. I've earned 33 cryptic Clues, 100 Neverwinter Brass Gold, and 100 Rostygold as rewards thus far. Still more to go too! I could end it right now I think, but there is another branch that I completely ignored near the start and I'm going to go down it before I finish it off. It is the early watchful Gold colored quest(which I guess just signifies it's a longer one) about finding a Devil that has disappeared(Starving Artist is the Start).

Eurus
2011-09-15, 05:25 PM
I'm kinda irritated with Echo Bazaar at the moment. Spent hours yesterday/last night completing a ton of their Free offers. Enough to earn me 52 Fate coins, and instead I only ended up with 7 >< I just got done sending them an email, hopefully it doesn't take too terribly long for them to fix it. I have confirmation emails and log-ins for survey sites and surveys completed to prove that I finished them all, lol.

I want my Exceptional Friend Subscription! Need...More....ACTIONS!

Kinda sad, this game is just so addicting, lol.

Edit: Also, I'm on an interesting Storylet, I thought I had completed it, but it was still showing up, so I re-investigated, and opened it up a bit further, and then kept doing it over and over. I've earned 33 cryptic Clues, 100 Neverwinter Brass Gold, and 100 Rostygold as rewards thus far. Still more to go too! I could end it right now I think, but there is another branch that I completely ignored near the start and I'm going to go down it before I finish it off. It is the early watchful Gold colored quest(which I guess just signifies it's a longer one) about finding a Devil that has disappeared(Starving Artist is the Start).

The problem with the free offers is that some of them... just don't report in properly. Not to mention the fact that most of them are blatantly designed to trick or coerce you into either signing up for something that they can bill you for, or giving out a bunch of personal info so that they can email you more spam. You have to be well and truly determined to get anything of substance out of it.

Aidan305
2011-09-16, 05:03 AM

I remember that Storylet. It's a rather good one, and rather poignant. But then, the same can be said of most of the storylets. And it's the first hint about that which can be said (By the Masters) to be the most powerful force in Fallen London

Starwulf
2011-09-16, 02:39 PM
I remember that Storylet. It's a rather good one, and rather poignant. But then, the same can be said of most of the storylets. And it's the first hint about that which can be said (By the Masters) to be the most powerful force in Fallen London

Yeah, the entire storylet is quite interesting. I loved the reward from the Demon(I chose to warn him that the singer as going to betray him and that his superiors were about to come down on him. 10 Diamonds worth 14 pence a piece.

I actually have enough wealth now to upgrade to a new place to stay, and it will unlock a nifty little storylet. Just unsure if I should sell everything I have to do it. I'll have to sell off my 10 diamonds, and my 45 rats on a string(which I need 100 of to advance in my ambition), and, well, pretty much everything I have except a few essentials; My weapon(horsehead amulet I got as a reward), my workmans suit, and my brass knuckles.

Is it worth it? To upgrade to a new place to stay at the cost of everything I have(I may grind out a bit more stuff so I don't have to sell my Rats on a string).

Also, what's the purpose of the carnival? I haven't done more then peek at the stuff there, none of it seemed useful, but I'm sure it has a purpose, I just haven't felt like wasting turns on it yet.

Aidan305
2011-09-16, 03:49 PM
Is it worth it? To upgrade to a new place to stay at the cost of everything I have(I may grind out a bit more stuff so I don't have to sell my Rats on a string).
Probably not. Ideally, you should avoid selling anything that you can't currently purchase, otherwise you'll invariably end up regretting it.

Starwulf
2011-09-16, 04:02 PM
Probably not. Ideally, you should avoid selling anything that you can't currently purchase, otherwise you'll invariably end up regretting it.

Hmm, in other words, I should wait until I can buy diamonds, or just farm up enough stuff so I don't have to sell them, since my Diamonds are the only Item I have that I can't buy(with the exception of my Morelways 1872, which I had no intention of selling). Ahh well ^^ I know there is a repeatable storylet, I think a watchful one, that gives me 16-18 Whispered secrets as a reward, I'll just figure out which one and then spam it until I've earned 70(the amount I could buy by selling all 10 of my diamonds). A shame there is no decent, repeatable Rat on a String storylet. The only one with a high amount is the "large" rat storylet, and that requires building a running battle to five first. Not too terribly worth it for 25 rats on a string.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-16, 07:16 PM
Starwulf, I think it'll be more worthwhile to use Fate to open up storylines, unless you really mind waiting to take actions that much.

Starwulf
2011-09-19, 04:24 PM
Starwulf, I think it'll be more worthwhile to use Fate to open up storylines, unless you really mind waiting to take actions that much.

I'll admit, I'm actually a bit addicted to the game, it's quite fun, very glad that the OP posted this thread, since it's what got me interested in it enough to make a twitter account and try it out.

So, I actually got ALL of my fate credits today, they all came in at once, giving me 61 total, so I did buy the exceptional friend subscription. I was contemplating unlocking a storylet with it, but I got a good buddy of mine into the game as well, and we are having a competition to see who can get an attribute to 100 first, and who can go through ALL the non-fate buyable content(while still enjoying all that's been written). This gives me a distinct advantage that I'll be putting to good use.

On another note, who here picked the "Dangerous" ambition to hunt "Vake"? Kind of annoyed atm, I'm at a point with it where I need 9x Hard-Earned Lessons, and if I had known that, I wouldn't have wasted the ones I've gotten. Gonna have to bug the crap outta my buddy now with sparring invites so I can build up enough to complete this section of the storylet.

Are Jade Fragments ever particularly used as part of a storylet? I have a TON of them(and that's AFTER having sold about 200 in the last two days to upgrade my place of residence, to buy some rats on string, and to buy something else. I think I still have like 200 left), and am contemplating just selling them all so I can eventually upgrade my weapon.

Eurus
2011-09-19, 11:35 PM
Jade is used for things on occasion, but you can farm lots and lots of it through Shadowy storylets or by cashing in Connected: The Orient, so sell it if you want.

Oh yeah, if you hadn't realized, you can burn a few points off almost any Connected quality for about 2.5 echoes worth of stuff by visiting Wolfstack Docks, the Shuttered Palace, the Flit, or the Forgotten Quarter. Orient gives Jade, Hell gives Brass, Constables gives Surface Currency, Revolutionaries gives Proscribed Materials, etc.

Eurus
2011-09-22, 04:17 PM
Just bought some Intricate Kifers and that henchman pet that gives +2 shadowy. So my Shadowy is now 63 base, +12 from equipment. Muahaha.

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-22, 05:21 PM
Just bought some Intricate Kifers and that henchman pet that gives +2 shadowy. So my Shadowy is now 63 base, +12 from equipment. Muahaha.

Ah, yes. I'm thinking of saving up to the Alluring Accomplice, but 115 E is a bit much right now. It'll take quite a while to farm that much :/

And I just read the fluff text for the Tiger pet: I have a Tiger. Do you have a tiger?

I think you can win any argument with that.

Eurus
2011-09-26, 08:02 PM
So, I managed to sell my soul a while ago, and now I have an opportunity card that is letting me pay Fate to unlock a way to get it back. I've managed to scrounge up 15 fate, but I'm curious as to if anyone else has experience with this storyline. Is it actually interesting?

Aidan305
2011-09-27, 04:04 AM
I'm told it is fairly enjoyable, and certainly, while there are some things you can only do with a soul, I've yet to see anything that can be done without your soul other than gettting it back. The Feast of Worlds in Summerset college, for example, can only be attended by those who have a soul.

And I just read the fluff text for the Tiger pet: I have a Tiger. Do you have a tiger?

I think you can win any argument with that.

That's why I bought one, certainly.

On another note, started getting together the building materials for my zubmarine today. This is going to take a while (60 Whirling Contraptions, 60 Strong-backed labour, and 15 Bejewelled Lenses)

I'm tempted to just go back and get the tramp steamer and grind for a while on the Unterzee.

Edit: Interesting. The wiki says this is a good idea. I shall do it, and buy the zubmarine later once I've saved up the necessary

Starwulf
2011-09-27, 05:29 AM
Quick update: I'm currently at 36+5 Dangerous, and 32+1 Watchful(those are my primaries). Persuasive and Shadowy are 14/15+1 respectively. Had an interesting storylet a while ago that involved a rat infestation, and ended up snagging the rat chief(he's "disgruntled" or whatever though, not the full-fledged one that gives +4 Dangerous) as my pet, which is pretty neat.

My Dangerous Ambition is getting harder and harder to advance. Thus far I've had to shell out 8 Echoes and 16 Echoes for items(200 Bottles of 1882 Wine(4 Pence a piece), and then 400 Prisoners Honey(also at 4 Pence a piece). Of course, it netted me my primary pet, a +3 Dangerous Half-Wild Mandrake. Right now, to advance, I need to raise my Watchful. It had a minimum of 30, but that still makes it "Almost impossible". At 32+1 it's still "almost impossible" So I'm figuring I"ll probably need at least 34+1 before it becomes possible to get it done.

I'm contemplating saving up 40 Echoes, and trading 1,000 bottles of the 1882 Wine for ten cases(how many bottles is that) of the Morelways 1872, but if ten cases(no idea how many is in a case) isn't more then 100 bottles, it's not worth it..

Has anyone seen the new pet they added? The "Overgoat", which gives +10 Watchful, and costs 11k Echoes.

Eurus
2011-09-27, 02:12 PM
The Overgoat has been around since nearly the beginning, if I remember right. It and the Hesperidan Cider are the two that are more or less unattainably expensive.

Also, I'm a few hours away from successfully robbing the Brass Embassy. I could put in a little more effort to rob the Bazaar instead, which is somewhat more lucrative, but I rather like the idea of the Embassy more. :smallbiggrin:

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-28, 01:53 PM
So, I'm at almost 32,000 Prisoner's Honey out of 40,000 required, and farming roughly 1,000 worth per day in Primordial Shrieks, as well as being able to do that whilst progressing up a chain that culminates in getting 150. So at about 1,150 Honey per day, that's about a week and a half left before I can finally cash in that reservation at the RBH. Success.

Eurus
2011-09-28, 03:24 PM
So, I'm at almost 32,000 Prisoner's Honey out of 40,000 required, and farming roughly 1,000 worth per day in Primordial Shrieks, as well as being able to do that whilst progressing up a chain that culminates in getting 150. So at about 1,150 Honey per day, that's about a week and a half left before I can finally cash in that reservation at the RBH. Success.

Awesome. :smallbiggrin:

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-28, 08:21 PM
Indeed. Then it's off to procure the rest of the gems I need for the Lapidary's craftsmanship, and that'll help bump my Persuasive. Then I might start grinding Persuasive, so that I can follow up on the "Person of Some Little Consequence" storylet...though I'm trying to figure if I want to grind Shadowy or just use Fate to skip it.

Eurus
2011-09-29, 12:18 AM
Indeed. Then it's off to procure the rest of the gems I need for the Lapidary's craftsmanship, and that'll help bump my Persuasive. Then I might start grinding Persuasive, so that I can follow up on the "Person of Some Little Consequence" storylet...though I'm trying to figure if I want to grind Shadowy or just use Fate to skip it.

Well, you'll probably eventually want Shadowy higher anyway, and I'm personally adverse to spending Fate on anything that doesn't unlock new content that I couldn't reach otherwise. The Flit isn't terrible anyway.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-29, 12:31 AM
It's mainly my impatience, lol. I suppose if I get too bored I can do stuff in the Labyrinth, then go back to finish up the portion of my Ambition in the Sanitorium.

Starwulf
2011-09-29, 01:32 AM
So what is everyones favorite little snippets? I tend to Echo on twitter(even though I only have one follower...lol) every single different Starveling Cat rhyme I come across. I think I've seen about 6 or 7 different ones thus far, I hope to see even more :)

Eurus
2011-09-29, 10:31 PM
Y'know, it occurs to me that Fallen London would be a pretty sweet setting for a game, either of D&D or some other system. I must contemplate this...

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-29, 11:21 PM
Y'know, it occurs to me that Fallen London would be a pretty sweet setting for a game, either of D&D or some other system. I must contemplate this...
I believe that they're actually making an EB roleplaying game, though I've heard precious little about it.

Starwulf, I also love to echo the Straveling Cat rhymes.

Aidan305
2011-09-30, 03:44 AM

A friend of mine is periodically considering writing a LARP based there, possibly involving a Brass Embassy Day Trip to the surface.

In other news, having acquired a ship, I have travelled to Mutton Island. It's seriously creepy there. And they make the best Rubbery Lumps, far better than any you can get in Fallen London.

Starwulf
2011-09-30, 05:34 AM
So, how far do the ambitions actually go? I'm on the Dangerous one, stage 14 now(going for 15). For a while it took me away from using my Dangerous quality, and made me use my watchful quality, and it is now considerably higher then my dangerous(44+2 vs 37+6). Just wondering how much further It goes? My guess right now is probably to the mid 60's for my Dangerous quality most likely. Has anyone here actually completed one?

drakir_nosslin
2011-09-30, 08:16 AM

Yea, I've thought about this too, but I'm not sure that D&D is the best system since it's very combat focused. A more skill-based system might work better, but the setting is great.

In other news, I now have two cards that can unlock new areas in my hand, but I can't get enough fate to use them. I even did one of those annoying surveys, but I didn't get my promised 10 fate :smallmad:

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-30, 09:52 AM
So, how far do the ambitions actually go? I'm on the Dangerous one, stage 14 now(going for 15). For a while it took me away from using my Dangerous quality, and made me use my watchful quality, and it is now considerably higher then my dangerous(44+2 vs 37+6). Just wondering how much further It goes? My guess right now is probably to the mid 60's for my Dangerous quality most likely. Has anyone here actually completed one?
I have Dangerous and Watchful at over 100, and I'm still not finished with my Nemesis Ambition.

Yea, I've thought about this too, but I'm not sure that D&D is the best system since it's very combat focused. A more skill-based system might work better, but the setting is great.

FATE seems like a good go-to for this, especially with its stress tracks and the way they resemble the Menace qualities.

Though, EB also has practically a built-in RPG system itself, centered around the Qualities.

Starwulf
2011-09-30, 03:01 PM

In other news, I now have two cards that can unlock new areas in my hand, but I can't get enough fate to use them. I even did one of those annoying surveys, but I didn't get my promised 10 fate :smallmad:

Don't believe the processing time. You'll get you fate, eventually. I got all of mine all at once about a week after I did everything. That 15-30 minutes time estimate is complete crap though.

So, another question: When do new lodgings open up that let you have 4 cards? Are all other lodgings that offer 3 cards merely sidegrades with different storylets attached? I'm currently in the observatory with the shrooms, but can't even advance in it because I don't have a "Scholar of Correspondence" trait ><

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-09-30, 06:10 PM
There isn't a lot of extra stuff you can do with the lodgings...but since you collect keys and such for all your lodgings, you're actually able to buy up lots of real estate, if you want, for collector's value. I think I own a good 8 or 9 lodgings.

The 4-card ones come much later...I'm saving for one of them (40,000 Prisoner's Honey, unlocked with 70 Watchful), and Eurus, I believe, is saving for another (40,000 Souls, unlocked with 70 Watchful).

Starwulf
2011-09-30, 06:41 PM
There isn't a lot of extra stuff you can do with the lodgings...but since you collect keys and such for all your lodgings, you're actually able to buy up lots of real estate, if you want, for collector's value. I think I own a good 8 or 9 lodgings.

The 4-card ones come much later...I'm saving for one of them (40,000 Prisoner's Honey, unlocked with 70 Watchful), and Eurus, I believe, is saving for another (40,000 Souls, unlocked with 70 Watchful).

Oh wow. That's insanity! Talk about pricey. Hmm, I didn't realize you could actually own more then one property! I'll have to start buying up those others that keep coming up :)

Ceric
2011-09-30, 06:42 PM
I'm saving up 60,000 Whispered Secrets for one that unlocks with 70 Persuasive.

flabort
2011-09-30, 07:06 PM
This looks interesting. Will "befriending", if you can do that, work cross-platform from facebook to twitter accounts?

I'll see if signing up will even work on my computer (It won't let me into facebook, or a ton of other sites right now), but given that I have no idea what you guys are talking about when you say "70 shadowy" or "2.5 Echos", yet, I'm definitely going to have to see for myself. Maybe I can bug him for the laptop back....

Starwulf
2011-09-30, 07:10 PM
I'm saving up 60,000 Whispered Secrets for one that unlocks with 70 Persuasive.

Ahh, well that's more of 1 thing, but thankfully a bit cheaper since they only cost 2 pence to buy compared to the 4 pence for a honey. Still, that # is mind-boggling. I feel like a big-shot now because I can make like 4,200 Jades, or Glims, or something similar, in a day if I do nothing but the same challenge over and over(and it's straight-forward, which I think is auto-succeed), but man, that's nothing compared to what you guys must be bringing in!.

So, is everyone's stats well-rounded, or do you just focus on like, 2 or so, to the detriment of others? I was doing pretty good with that at first, but now my Watchful and Dangerous are leagues beyond my Shadowy and Persuasive(44 and 38 vs 16 and 15). When I do go to raise up my shadowy and persuasive though, I"ll have a ton of Confident Smiles and Hastily scrawled notes to stop me from failing challenges, due to a friend I got into the game going down the Persuasive/Shadowy route and he is always sending me invitations for Suppers and Loitering. I in return send him tons of invitations to spar and play chess, so he has a ton of those waiting around for when he starts raising up those attributes. ^^

Oh, another question: Does healing or poisoning a friend(for the dangerous activities with a friend) give more Hard-earned lessons, or anything at all different, then just sparring?

drakir_nosslin
2011-10-01, 09:13 AM
Don't believe the processing time. You'll get you fate, eventually. I got all of mine all at once about a week after I did everything. That 15-30 minutes time estimate is complete crap though.

Huh, I didn't know that. Guess I'll have to hold onto those cards for quite a while then... Thanks for the info!

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-01, 09:52 AM
Oh wow. That's insanity! Talk about pricey. Hmm, I didn't realize you could actually own more then one property! I'll have to start buying up those others that keep coming up :)
Yep! If you want to change your lodgings, you can simply go to your profile, and click on the appropriate key that you own. It should have a yellow border around it, meaning you can interact with it.

This looks interesting. Will "befriending", if you can do that, work cross-platform from facebook to twitter accounts?

It does indeed. It'll list all of your Twitter followers who play EBZ, and/or all of your Facebook friends who play, depending on which accounts you've linked to the game.

Ahh, well that's more of 1 thing, but thankfully a bit cheaper since they only cost 2 pence to buy compared to the 4 pence for a honey. Still, that # is mind-boggling. I feel like a big-shot now because I can make like 4,200 Jades, or Glims, or something similar, in a day if I do nothing but the same challenge over and over(and it's straight-forward, which I think is auto-succeed), but man, that's nothing compared to what you guys must be bringing in!.
It definitely escalates, although...*runs the numbers* getting 4,200 Jade in a single day is quite good. That's 42 echoes, and to compare, I wind up taking an action that nets me a bit over 2,000 Primordial Shrieks per day, sellable for about the same amount. Granted, if I needed Shrieks, I'd be in a much stronger position than where you're at, but as you can see, you're actually making quite a good bit.

And the secret is a little at a time. If you did that much grinding, you could have enough to buy 40k Souls or Drops of Prisoner's Honey in a month and a half, if you felt inclined to do so.

So, is everyone's stats well-rounded, or do you just focus on like, 2 or so, to the detriment of others? I was doing pretty good with that at first, but now my Watchful and Dangerous are leagues beyond my Shadowy and Persuasive(44 and 38 vs 16 and 15). When I do go to raise up my shadowy and persuasive though, I"ll have a ton of Confident Smiles and Hastily scrawled notes to stop me from failing challenges, due to a friend I got into the game going down the Persuasive/Shadowy route and he is always sending me invitations for Suppers and Loitering. I in return send him tons of invitations to spar and play chess, so he has a ton of those waiting around for when he starts raising up those attributes. ^^
So far, I've been heavily focusing on Watchful and Dangerous, somewhat to the detriment of my others. Without my equipment bonuses, which are variable, I have Watchful 104, Shadowy 35, Dangerous 108, and Persuasive 54.

There is a storylet which relies on you having every quality at 100, so eventually you'll want to start boosting them all.

Oh, another question: Does healing or poisoning a friend(for the dangerous activities with a friend) give more Hard-earned lessons, or anything at all different, then just sparring?
I don't completely recall, but I don't think so. Healing a friend drops their Wounds level substantially, and poisoning them increases it.

Ceric
2011-10-01, 03:00 PM

My Persuasive and Watchful are my highest qualities; I only work on my Shadowy and Dangerous when required for my ambition. So my Shadowy is actually somewhat close to my Watchful but it's not likely to progress much further.

Healing a friend also increases your Magnanimous. I'm not sure what poisoning does.

Eurus
2011-10-01, 03:47 PM
My stats are very well rounded. Currently, all of them fall between 63 and 68 base, with usually close to +10 from equipment depending on what I'm set up for for at the moment. I initially focused on Persuasive, but it's ironically my lowest stat now, mostly due to the Shuttered Palace being less profitable than the Docks/Flit/Forgotten Quarter at the moment and my difficulty in finding good Persuasive equipment.

Starwulf
2011-10-01, 04:12 PM
Yeah, My stats are 41 Dangerous(+6 in equip), 44 Watchful(+2 in equip), 16 Persuasive(+1), 16 Shadowy(+1). I haven't touched Persuasive or shadowy in a long time.

Had an awesome opportunity card last night, it advanced my "Mysterious benefactor" from 6 to 8, and upped 2 or 3 of my qualities, upped 4 different connections, and gave me 500 Rostygold! I was like "hell yeah!". How far does the Mysterious benefactor stuff go? It's by far the most interesting storylet I've come across thus far, I'm always looking forward to seeing another card pop up.

So, I didn't realize that any card highlighted in yellow in your inventory meant you could click on it. What does the Whispered Secrets/Cryptic Clues/Appalling Secrets do? I also have some bottle of wine, Greyfields 1868 first sporing, that's highlighted in yellow. I don't want to click on them and possibly waste something that's sellable, so I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what they do?

Eurus
2011-10-01, 05:00 PM
Yeah, My stats are 41 Dangerous(+6 in equip), 44 Watchful(+2 in equip), 16 Persuasive(+1), 16 Shadowy(+1). I haven't touched Persuasive or shadowy in a long time.

Had an awesome opportunity card last night, it advanced my "Mysterious benefactor" from 6 to 8, and upped 2 or 3 of my qualities, upped 4 different connections, and gave me 500 Rostygold! I was like "hell yeah!". How far does the Mysterious benefactor stuff go? It's by far the most interesting storylet I've come across thus far, I'm always looking forward to seeing another card pop up.

So, I didn't realize that any card highlighted in yellow in your inventory meant you could click on it. What does the Whispered Secrets/Cryptic Clues/Appalling Secrets do? I also have some bottle of wine, Greyfields 1868 first sporing, that's highlighted in yellow. I don't want to click on them and possibly waste something that's sellable, so I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what they do?

Whispered Secrets can be converted into a smaller number of Cryptic Clues, Cryptic Clues can be converted into a smaller number of Appalling Secrets. It's a better trade than selling Whispered Secrets to buy Clues would be, but worse if you just want to sell the Clues for money anyway. Appalling Secrets can be sacrificed in large numbers to reduce Nightmares, or turned into some kind of book item that I'm not sure of. Greyfields First Sporing can be drunk, reducing Nightmares by a fair bit.

Ceric
2011-10-01, 05:05 PM
None of the inventory cards are autofire, so you can click on them to see what they do without wasting actions.

My stats are usually Persuasive 78+4, Watchful 58+3, Shadowy 49-2, and Dangerous 39-1, making me a "captiviating and insightful lady". I've noticed that the description changes with the level of your two highest stats.

Starwulf
2011-10-01, 05:09 PM
None of the inventory cards are autofire, so you can click on them to see what they do without wasting actions.

My stats are usually Persuasive 78+4, Watchful 58+3, Shadowy 49-2, and Dangerous 39-1, making me a "captiviating and insightful lady". I've noticed that the description changes with the level of your two highest stats.

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. I'm a "Puissant and Observant Gentleman". It varies though according to what equipment I wear, since my dangerous equipment lowers my watchful by like 7.

So, I got the next Mysterious benefactor card: It's to reset it from the start(pay 8 fate), or to earn a hard-earned lesson(likely varies depending on what item you chose at the start), or 3 other options that require items that apparently can't be bought, and I don't have. Fierce Mint Humbugs, Mirror Polished shoes, Unobtrusive Bowling hat. I got the hard-earned lesson. I'm tempted to blow 8 fate to start it over again if it shows up again, but I'm just not sure :-(

Eurus
2011-10-01, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I've noticed that as well. I'm a "Puissant and Observant Gentleman". It varies though according to what equipment I wear, since my dangerous equipment lowers my watchful by like 7.

So, I got the next Mysterious benefactor card: It's to reset it from the start(pay 8 fate), or to earn a hard-earned lesson(likely varies depending on what item you chose at the start), or 3 other options that require items that apparently can't be bought, and I don't have. Fierce Mint Humbugs, Mirror Polished shoes, Unobtrusive Bowling hat. I got the hard-earned lesson. I'm tempted to blow 8 fate to start it over again if it shows up again, but I'm just not sure :-(

I personally wouldn't, since you have to give up your benefactor reward to start it over. Fierce Mint Humbugs/Mirror-Polished Shoes/Unobtrusive Bowling Hat are the other three benefactor rewards.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-02, 03:51 PM
Once you get a stat above 100, it seems to add another adjective. At the moment, I am terrifying, lethal, inescapable, and sagacious. Sounds frightening. Which is why my profile quote is an edited (for length) quote from the 11th Doctor... "There's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart, if you value your continued existence, or plan about seeing tomorrow--and that's me."

flabort
2011-10-02, 05:36 PM
Wow. Finally got to another computer and signed up.... not many actions available at a time. Rather upsetting. :smallannoyed: Still, fun.

Starwulf
2011-10-03, 01:19 AM
Wow. Finally got to another computer and signed up.... not many actions available at a time. Rather upsetting. :smallannoyed: Still, fun.

Yeah, that was my biggest complaint as well. Hence why I spammed a ton of the free offers for Fate points. Once I got them about a week or so later, I bought my exceptional friend subscription, and voila! 20 Turns at a time, 80 turns per day(plus 20 for my refresh bonus).

edit: Btw, is there any particular way of lowering scandal beyond going to church? Mine is at 7, and one dance with a devil away from hitting 8, and it says bad things will happen if that occurs ><

Double Edit: Well, don't listen to the whole "Pretty good odds" thing when it comes to going to church to get rid of scandal. It worked once, then I failed 4 times in a row, and now i"m Exiled to the Tomb Colonies, with no idea how long it's going to take me to get the hell outta there, considering I have no particular way of getting my scandal to go down ><

Triple edit: Well, apparently, the opportunity cards deck while your exiled is centered around cards that reduce your scandal(and give you confident smiles and raise your persuasiveness as well), I'm already down to 5, and that was just with like 15 turns. My Confident smile count is sky-rocketing! 53 of those things! I should go do some persuasive high-risk challenges to jump it up quickly while still retaining a decent chance of getting rewards for it! Could probably take it to level 30 in no time flat.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-03, 01:08 PM
Yeah, that was my biggest complaint as well. Hence why I spammed a ton of the free offers for Fate points. Once I got them about a week or so later, I bought my exceptional friend subscription, and voila! 20 Turns at a time, 80 turns per day(plus 20 for my refresh bonus).
It works best not as a main game, but as something to visit a few times a day, IMO.

edit: Btw, is there any particular way of lowering scandal beyond going to church? Mine is at 7, and one dance with a devil away from hitting 8, and it says bad things will happen if that occurs ><

Double Edit: Well, don't listen to the whole "Pretty good odds" thing when it comes to going to church to get rid of scandal. It worked once, then I failed 4 times in a row, and now i"m Exiled to the Tomb Colonies, with no idea how long it's going to take me to get the hell outta there, considering I have no particular way of getting my scandal to go down ><

Triple edit: Well, apparently, the opportunity cards deck while your exiled is centered around cards that reduce your scandal(and give you confident smiles and raise your persuasiveness as well), I'm already down to 5, and that was just with like 15 turns. My Confident smile count is sky-rocketing! 53 of those things! I should go do some persuasive high-risk challenges to jump it up quickly while still retaining a decent chance of getting rewards for it! Could probably take it to level 30 in no time flat.
When it gives you odds of luck, those are generally reliable, but it's a Gambler's Fallacy to assume that "Pretty good odds" doesn't mean you won't fail it a number of times in a row.

And yeah, some of the negative places can get you helpful stuff, though they do also interfere with your current goals. *thinks* You can take a social action to reduce Scandal, and I wanna say there's something you can buy to reduce Scandal...ah, never mind, that's the Instant Ablution Absolution, which decreases Suspicion.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-05, 12:44 PM
...and just like that, I've got my reservation at the Royal Bethlehem Hotel! *cheers* 4 cards now! And another place to add to my prestigious collection of real estate.

Now, I'm off at the shroom races, collecting venom-rubies. I'll probably milk this location for all it's worth, as I spent 3 Fate on it, and it doesn't appear that the unlock will be permanent. And the rewards are pretty hefty so far...plus, with my Dangerous and Watchful so high, it's a cinch to win the race.

Starwulf
2011-10-05, 02:01 PM
...and just like that, I've got my reservation at the Royal Bethlehem Hotel! *cheers* 4 cards now! And another place to add to my prestigious collection of real estate.

Now, I'm off at the shroom races, collecting venom-rubies. I'll probably milk this location for all it's worth, as I spent 3 Fate on it, and it doesn't appear that the unlock will be permanent. And the rewards are pretty hefty so far...plus, with my Dangerous and Watchful so high, it's a cinch to win the race.

Wow, I'm even more depressed now. I wasted 3 fate on that particular thing, and I couldn't do ANYTHING in there. Now I know why, if it's meant for someone with stats as high as yours ><

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-05, 03:20 PM
Wow, I'm even more depressed now. I wasted 3 fate on that particular thing, and I couldn't do ANYTHING in there. Now I know why, if it's meant for someone with stats as high as yours ><
Well, maybe not as high as mine, because all the challenges are straightforward (except Shadowy, which is at 35 or so) for me. So, probably 40-50 is the range you need to be for that.

Really, they ought to indicate that.

Starwulf
2011-10-05, 03:24 PM
Well, maybe not as high as mine, because all the challenges are straightforward (except Shadowy, which is at 35 or so) for me. So, probably 40-50 is the range you need to be for that.

Really, they ought to indicate that.

Yeah, would have been nice, I burned 3 fate when my highest qualities weren't even 35 yet, and persuasiveness and shadowy were in the low teens.

I'm currently raising shadowy and persuasiveness up to 30 right now though, but I might go up to 35-40 before I stop with them, just in case I see this card again. how much are the venom rubies worth?

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-05, 11:27 PM
Yeah, would have been nice, I burned 3 fate when my highest qualities weren't even 35 yet, and persuasiveness and shadowy were in the low teens.

I'm currently raising shadowy and persuasiveness up to 30 right now though, but I might go up to 35-40 before I stop with them, just in case I see this card again. how much are the venom rubies worth?
Venom Rubies are most useful for at least one Opportunity card in the Lapidary storyline that needs them. They may be used for other cards, I'm sure.

Fortunately, you can keep running shroom races until you get as many as you want...winning the race also rewards you handsomely for a number of different items (Glim, Moon-Pearls, Jade, Rostygold, and probably more).

Starwulf
2011-10-06, 12:15 AM
Venom Rubies are most useful for at least one Opportunity card in the Lapidary storyline that needs them. They may be used for other cards, I'm sure.

Fortunately, you can keep running shroom races until you get as many as you want...winning the race also rewards you handsomely for a number of different items (Glim, Moon-Pearls, Jade, Rostygold, and probably more).

speaking of the devil, I just got that card ^^

flabort
2011-10-06, 11:00 AM
How am I supposed to get Connected: Criminals, or Connected: The Great Game?

For the record, I have W/S/D/P 12/12+1/2/17, really small numbers :smallredface:, and have just two cards at a time. And both of the two cards I have require one of those connections. :smallannoyed:

Aidan305
2011-10-06, 11:21 AM
If the cards in question are what I think they are, just ignore them. They're not particularly useful.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-06, 11:21 AM
How am I supposed to get Connected: Criminals, or Connected: The Great Game?

For the record, I have W/S/D/P 12/12+1/2/17, really small numbers :smallredface:, and have just two cards at a time. And both of the two cards I have require one of those connections. :smallannoyed:
At your level, discard one of them, and wait for it to come back around. Connected: The Great Game increases via an opportunity card (A Parliament of Bats), I know that much, and Connected: Criminals increases via opportunity cards. There may be locations with actions that increase Connected: Criminals, likely in Spite, but I don't remember.

Ceric
2011-10-06, 11:44 AM
Yeah, don't worry about discarding cards you can't use. They alway come around again.

And I'm pretty sure that the connection-raising storylets at your level are opportunity cards, so you'd have to discard your current ones to get them anyways.

flabort
2011-10-06, 11:54 AM
Thanks. Discarded both, got one that gave me Connected: Orphans.

I painted them a picture, got a whole bunch of secrets.

I like being persuasive focused.

Starwulf
2011-10-06, 01:27 PM
At your level, discard one of them, and wait for it to come back around. Connected: The Great Game increases via an opportunity card (A Parliament of Bats), I know that much, and Connected: Criminals increases via opportunity cards. There may be locations with actions that increase Connected: Criminals, likely in Spite, but I don't remember.

There are some watchful Challenges i do believe that raise The Great game connections, and yeah, Spite has some Connected Criminals, I'm doing one right now, level 29 shadowy required, it's me casing a jewelry store, and it gives criminal connections. And yeah, I'd say, don't bother with the cards that REQUIRE connections, they are just to raise your qualities, and it's a waste to use them early on, when it only requires a few challenges to raise them, I'd wait until a minimum of 60 probably(advice I wish I had thought of for myself), when it will take a minimum of 15 turns(High-Risk challenges give 4 points if succeeded, 3 if failed), and likely 20. The higher your qualities, the more useful those cards become.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-06, 02:00 PM
Ah, good point. It's true, most of those sacrifice your Connected quality to raise a stat.

Eurus
2011-10-06, 05:11 PM
Ah, good point. It's true, most of those sacrifice your Connected quality to raise a stat.

And they tend to sacrifice a lot of Connected for a relatively minor amount of stat increases. Connected qualities are better off saved up for the occasional storylet or opportunity that requires them, or cashed in at the Forgotten Quarter/Flit/Wolfstack Docks/Shuttered Palace.

I generally trade in favors for items (it's a lot of points from your quality, but usually 140-280 of a specific item) when I break 30 or so in a Connected quality, like when shadowy storylets were dumping Connected: The Orient on me like it was going out of style.

Ceric
2011-10-06, 05:20 PM
The higher your qualities, the more useful those cards become.

Is this true? I thought it'd give a flat amount of change points rather than be dependent on your level. Never really checked, though.

Btw, I'm FelicityChase on Twitter if anyone wants more delicious friends.

Starwulf
2011-10-06, 05:43 PM
Is this true? I thought it'd give a flat amount of change points rather than be dependent on your level. Never really checked, though.

Btw, I'm FelicityChase on Twitter if anyone wants more delicious friends.

Ya know, I haven't really checked to be honest, I've just noticed that using a card when my quality is lower, seems to move the bar the same amount as when I use a card when the quality is higher, and if it moves it the same amount, it's a set % instead of a set #, which definitely makes it inherently more valuable the higher your quality is.

Ceric
2011-10-06, 06:13 PM
The bar isn't always accurate (mine appeared to be a bit less than half full when I was 10 points out of 50 to my next level) but you can mouse over the quality picture next to the bar to see exactly how many more points you need.

Edit for clarification: When it shows "<Quality> is increasing..." after a storylet, wave over the little picture of the quality next to the progress bar. Not the ones that are always shown in your sidebar.

flabort
2011-10-06, 06:22 PM
Well, it seems most everyone here connected with twitter. Too bad for me.

Now, anyone who connected with a facebook account, or both, I'm Joel Ganson on facebook. There may be multiple people by that name, but I've got a poorly photoshopped green winged thing as an avatar there.

And **** that 40 actions/day economy. :smallannoyed: That would be so much nicer, being able to sell or buy daily actions to/from friends. I wonder how many echos an action would be worth :smalltongue:?

Eurus
2011-10-06, 06:51 PM
Well, it seems most everyone here connected with twitter. Too bad for me.

Now, anyone who connected with a facebook account, or both, I'm Joel Ganson on facebook. There may be multiple people by that name, but I've got a poorly photoshopped green winged thing as an avatar there.

And **** that 40 actions/day economy. :smallannoyed: That would be so much nicer, being able to sell or buy daily actions to/from friends. I wonder how many echos an action would be worth :smalltongue:?

Hehehe. My actions are worth about an echo each, right now, just from the rewards I get for spending them. Probably significantly more, considering that each action also helps train my primary qualities.

Starwulf
2011-10-06, 07:05 PM
The bar isn't always accurate (mine appeared to be a bit less than half full when I was 10 points out of 50 to my next level) but you can mouse over the quality picture next to the bar to see exactly how many more points you need.

Edit for clarification: When it shows "<Quality> is increasing..." after a storylet, wave over the little picture of the quality next to the progress bar. Not the ones that are always shown in your sidebar.

Oh, I don't even look at the sidebar anymore, I realized how terribly inaccurate they were within my 3rd or 4th day playing Echo Bazaar. No, I only look at the main bar, which is how I know what various challenges are worth in terms of change points. From what I've been able to tell by looking at the main bar(I will admit, I haven't actually checked the actual change points, I"ll have to do so if I can find a connected that's low enough that I haven't used yet, probably The Orient and Criminals if I ever get them), the Connected cards do fill a static amount of your bar, and again, that would indicate a percentage rather then a static number. I do agree though, more testing needs to be done, I'll keep a careful eye out for those kinds of cards tonight when I get my next batch of turns.

flabort
2011-10-07, 12:20 PM
Anyone else discover the "Fascinating...." glitch?

I can start two "Seduce a..." paths, one hard, one easy, and build up a "Fascinating..." quality in the easy one, say up to 7, then use the same quality to complete the hard one :smallbiggrin:. Sure, I don't get to build up my Persuasive or Watchful quite as much, but I get better rewards in the end.

Any other similar bugs? :smallbiggrin:

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-07, 01:45 PM
Anyone else discover the "Fascinating...." glitch?

I can start two "Seduce a..." paths, one hard, one easy, and build up a "Fascinating..." quality in the easy one, say up to 7, then use the same quality to complete the hard one :smallbiggrin:. Sure, I don't get to build up my Persuasive or Watchful quite as much, but I get better rewards in the end.

Any other similar bugs? :smallbiggrin:
Yeah, it's actually possible to do that with "[Any Quality]...", such as "Investigating..." and "Running Battle...", which has been pointed out as an exploit for one of the later steps in the Nemesis Ambition.

Eurus
2011-10-07, 07:15 PM
Yeah, I have an "Investigating" quality at like 10 because I use the one opportunity card that increases it a bunch whenever it pops up, on the off chance I need it eventually. Heh.

Starwulf
2011-10-07, 09:21 PM
Ok, So, I recorded a quality increaser at the cost of connections opportunity card. it was the 2nd Tomb Colonies one, My dangerous was 46+2, and was at 19 Change points. I gained 6 change points total, or 1/8th of my total bar(need 48 change points). 6 is pretty much two challenges, unless you get lucky and succeed two High-Risks in a row.

Now I just need to find another card and see if it gives 1/8th as well, or if it's a static 6.

Edit: Btw, what is the purpose of "The House of Chimes"? There is so much stuff to do in there, it would take me ages to sort through it all.

Aidan305
2011-10-08, 05:32 AM
No idea. It's s special place only those who are exceptional friends can go. As such there's no information about it on the Wiki.

Ceric
2011-10-08, 10:22 PM
Anyone know good sources of rats on a string? My stats are Dangerous 39, Shadowy 50, Watchful 73, and Persuasive 84, but Watchful and Persuasive storylets don't usually give dead rats as prizes.

Starwulf
2011-10-09, 12:07 PM
Anyone know good sources of rats on a string? My stats are Dangerous 39, Shadowy 50, Watchful 73, and Persuasive 84, but Watchful and Persuasive storylets don't usually give dead rats as prizes.

Dangerous challenges sometimes give out Dead Rats. Unfortunately, It's usually the lower ones, you might be out of luck for right now. I'm at dangerous 46+7, and I haven't seen a challenge since the mid-20's that gave any amount of rats on a string. Though, you might get lucky and get a rat infestation in your home! That'll net you a TON of rat's on a string while you try to get rid of the damn things ^^

edit: Also, Mystery solved! The Opportunity Cards that raise your qualities at the cost of connections is a straight static number. In a previous post, I tested our Dangerous, and found it to give a straight 6. I just used a Shadowy one, and it ALSO gave a straight 6, and my previous theory of it being 1/8th should have given me a 5(as my shadowy was at exactly 40).

flabort
2011-10-09, 12:18 PM
For the first option, the second, or the third? :smallconfused:
Or am I thinking of the wrong cards requiring connections?

Ceric
2011-10-09, 01:18 PM
Dangerous challenges sometimes give out Dead Rats. Unfortunately, It's usually the lower ones, you might be out of luck for right now. I'm at dangerous 46+7, and I haven't seen a challenge since the mid-20's that gave any amount of rats on a string. Though, you might get lucky and get a rat infestation in your home! That'll net you a TON of rat's on a string while you try to get rid of the damn things ^^

edit: Also, Mystery solved! The Opportunity Cards that raise your qualities at the cost of connections is a straight static number. In a previous post, I tested our Dangerous, and found it to give a straight 6. I just used a Shadowy one, and it ALSO gave a straight 6, and my previous theory of it being 1/8th should have given me a 5(as my shadowy was at exactly 40).

Ah >> I spent the rat infestation cards on looting their hoards rather than killing them. It seemed the most profitable at the time.

Good to know!

Starwulf
2011-10-09, 10:21 PM
For the first option, the second, or the third? :smallconfused:
Or am I thinking of the wrong cards requiring connections?

I don't know about the third option, but I can confirm the first AND second of those types of cards both offer 6.

Tome
2011-10-10, 08:23 AM
Just started playing this recently myself. Been going Dangerous and Watchful for now, but I'm not that far along.

I'm on via both Twitter and Facebook as Thomas Chandler. Drop me a line.

Starwulf
2011-10-10, 07:27 PM
I'm Starwulf on Twitter.

Hmm, I'm back in exile for my scandal AGAIN. there just isn't a reliable way of getting rid of it besides that church option, and if you fail it, you gain Scandal >< At least Nightmares, Wounds, and Suspicion has a damn potion you can buy for an echo to get rid of it.

On another note, I've made my first 100 echoes!! Well, In sellables anyways, I haven't actually sold it any of it yet, I'm just not sure what in the world I want to buy. I could either save up a bit more and buy a +3 Watchful item, or buy a couple of +1 shadowy and persuasive items, or finally get my foot slot filled with a +2 Dangerous item, giving me +9 to it. Just not sure....(dangerous and watchful are my primaries, but I now actually have all of them within 6 of each naturally(not including bonuses). Going to raise my Persuasive and shadowy to 45 each before I go back to doing Dangerous and watchful.

Eurus
2011-10-11, 12:59 AM
Ironically, one of the most reliable ways to eliminate scandal is to just get exiled. At least then you can reliably chip off a point or two per action. I would probably recommend saving up for the bigger item, it'll be more cost-effective in the long run than buying little bonuses right now and upgrading them individually.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-11, 09:28 AM
Well, the major point of the "somewhere not nice" places is to remove the respective menace conditions. Downside being it's a huge speedbump in the meantime, though you should pick up whatever special stuff you can in each location.

Aidan305
2011-10-11, 05:42 PM
The only "not nice" place to really worry about is the State of Confusion (aka The Royal Bethlehem) which, as far as I know, reduces or eliminates your dreams.

Starwulf
2011-10-11, 06:52 PM
Well, I'm at 140 Echoes now. Now to figure out what +3 Item I'd like to buy, lol.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-11, 07:16 PM
The only "not nice" place to really worry about is the State of Confusion (aka The Royal Bethlehem) which, as far as I know, reduces or eliminates your dreams.
Which, I might add, is thoroughly annoying. Also, if you're hanging on to any Opportunity cards, they wipe those out.

Anyhow, I'm waiting around for the Lapidary card to show back up again, as I have all my venom-rubies and sapphires and diamonds and the stick now.

Starwulf
2011-10-11, 09:19 PM
Which, I might add, is thoroughly annoying. Also, if you're hanging on to any Opportunity cards, they wipe those out.

Anyhow, I'm waiting around for the Lapidary card to show back up again, as I have all my venom-rubies and sapphires and diamonds and the stick now.

Yeah, which really sucks. I had just dinged persuasive to 40, and I had been holding on to that Shroom racing card, when I got exiled and lost it >< Now I have to wait for it to show back up again :-(. Very frustrating. Oh well, I raised persuasive up to 45, and am going to take Shadowy up to 45 while I'm waiting for it to show up. Then I'm going to get watchful and dangerous to base 50(no modifiers), then persuasive and shadowy, so I have all 4 qualities at 50. After that, I probably won't touch shadowy/persuasive again until I have Dangerous and watchful at like 75-100. I'll be building up hastily scrawled notes and confident smiles the entire time though, since my buddy sends me invites for those all the time.

Eurus
2011-10-11, 09:31 PM
So, I have like eight bottles of Black Wings Absinthe hanging around. Anyone want to share some?

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-12, 02:31 PM
So, I have like eight bottles of Black Wings Absinthe hanging around. Anyone want to share some?
Oooh. Sounds interesting. I've been trying to figure out exactly what it does...

Eurus
2011-10-12, 06:02 PM
Oooh. Sounds interesting. I've been trying to figure out exactly what it does...

It generally results in donning black cloaks and prowling the night. :smallamused:

Anyway, remind me your Twitter name? I'll send one your way.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-12, 06:37 PM
I am playersideblog.

Eurus
2011-10-12, 08:12 PM
There you go!

Starwulf
2011-10-12, 09:42 PM
I came across the most expensive Opportunity cad I've ever seen today. Needed 100 proscribed materials just to see it, and it required 10,000 of the damn things(or 500 echoes worth). It was, apparently, for "Connected: The great game" or something.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-12, 11:21 PM
I came across the most expensive Opportunity cad I've ever seen today. Needed 100 proscribed materials just to see it, and it required 10,000 of the damn things(or 500 echoes worth). It was, apparently, for "Connected: The great game" or something.
Connected: The Masters, I believe, if it's the one I'm thinking of. ("A Libraryette for Mr. Pages")

Starwulf
2011-10-12, 11:48 PM
Connected: The Masters, I believe, if it's the one I'm thinking of. ("A Libraryette for Mr. Pages")

Yeah, that's the one I do believe. Can't possibly be worth it, is it? To lose 500 Echoes worth of stuff for a small quantity of connected?

Eurus
2011-10-13, 12:36 AM
Yeah, that's the one I do believe. Can't possibly be worth it, is it? To lose 500 Echoes worth of stuff for a small quantity of connected?

Yeah, it's not worth it. Connected: The Masters of the Bazaar is very rare and hard to get (often expensive, although the libraryette is probably the least efficient way to get it), but actually not as useful as you'd think. It does have a few nifty uses, but it seems mostly like a bragging right.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-13, 01:57 AM
Oh, and I just remembered that there's an action in your lodgings to reduce Scandal when your Admired and Persuasive are high enough. Boy, is it effective! It totally wiped out a good portion of my Scandal, though it cost 5 Admired.

And there's social actions you can take too.

Also, I've finished the Lapidary storyline! And I have a shiny new cane to show for it. At the moment, I'm now following Persuasive, and mingling with folks in the Shuttered Palace. Afterwards will probably come Shadowy, or grinding my Watchful enough to find someone at the University who can tell me about the Iron Republic.

Eurus
2011-10-13, 03:26 AM
Oh, and I just remembered that there's an action in your lodgings to reduce Scandal when your Admired and Persuasive are high enough. Boy, is it effective! It totally wiped out a good portion of my Scandal, though it cost 5 Admired.

And there's social actions you can take too.

Also, I've finished the Lapidary storyline! And I have a shiny new cane to show for it. At the moment, I'm now following Persuasive, and mingling with folks in the Shuttered Palace. Afterwards will probably come Shadowy, or grinding my Watchful enough to find someone at the University who can tell me about the Iron Republic.

Iron Republic, eh? Is that Ambition-related?

Aidan305
2011-10-13, 08:09 AM
Iron Republic, eh? Is that Ambition-related?

Nemesis. And sadly not open yet. It will be eventually though.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-13, 09:54 AM
Nemesis. And sadly not open yet. It will be eventually though.
Ah, wow. So I finally am getting to the current "end" of my Ambition, so far. Nice.

*goes back to currying social graces*

Eurus
2011-10-13, 06:16 PM
I get to perform the Topsy King's play, heh.

Starwulf
2011-10-17, 05:31 AM
Woot! Two Achievements all at once. I now officially have all of my qualities at a base 50 now, which is pretty sweet. I also finally went and sold a bunch of my stuff, and bought a 180 echo item. It was a pair of gloves that give +1 dangerous, +4 Watchful, and -2 Persuasive and Shadowy(or something like that). I'm now going to go ahead and work on my watchful and dangerous for a while, get them to around 75 each, should be lots of fun :).

On another note, I got a new residence opportunity card, it was still only for 3 Cards, but the damn thing cost 6,000 Whispered secrets, which is nuts! I wouldn't shell out that kind of cash for a 3 card residence. On another note, I don't have much at all left now, about 50 echoes worth of sellables left. Don't have 1k left of anything except whispered secrets and Jade Fragments(I'm keeping them, tempted to buy my way into the University, as I have no idea when I'll become a Scholar of Importance or Correspondence or whatever it is).

Tome
2011-10-17, 06:15 AM
I'm keeping them, tempted to buy my way into the University, as I have no idea when I'll become a Scholar of Importance or Correspondence or whatever it is.

Apparently, you get Scholar of the Correspondence in the Forgotten Quarter. Since the University is only really useful to folks with Watchful 80+, you'll probably want to go through the Forgotten Quarter first anyway.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-17, 12:14 PM
You really don't need to buy your way into the University. It'll come.

Also, I had a chance to meet up with Mr. Hearts...but alas, I failed the Dangerous challenge. Now for the card to come back again...

Starwulf
2011-10-18, 12:57 AM
So, I finally got the shroom racing card again(huzzah). What is the highest "in the lead" quality you can get? I've gotten 4, which gives me a "Low-risk" for the end challenge, and after I win it says "It was barely even a race". The reward is damn nice as well, 4.5 echoes + all qualities raising up a bit, and the venom ruby. Just wondering if there is anything higher?

Also, huzzah, one of the cards there netted me a Sapphire, which means I Just need 2 more of those so I can complete the Keen Eyed Lapidary(or at least, I think I can. it's venom rubies, Diamonds, and sapphires that she needs, right?)

Eurus
2011-10-18, 09:01 AM
You really don't need to buy your way into the University. It'll come.

Also, I had a chance to meet up with Mr. Hearts...but alas, I failed the Dangerous challenge. Now for the card to come back again...

Ah, shame. I dunno what that particular opportunity is, but anything to do with the Masters is awesome.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-18, 09:57 AM
So, I finally got the shroom racing card again(huzzah). What is the highest "in the lead" quality you can get? I've gotten 4, which gives me a "Low-risk" for the end challenge, and after I win it says "It was barely even a race". The reward is damn nice as well, 4.5 echoes + all qualities raising up a bit, and the venom ruby. Just wondering if there is anything higher?

Also, huzzah, one of the cards there netted me a Sapphire, which means I Just need 2 more of those so I can complete the Keen Eyed Lapidary(or at least, I think I can. it's venom rubies, Diamonds, and sapphires that she needs, right?)
Congrats! That's the highest result that I've found. I'm trying to think of where you can get sapphires...if your Dangerous is high enough, they can be found in the Labyrinth of Tigers.

Ah, shame. I dunno what that particular opportunity is, but anything to do with the Masters is awesome.
Yep, I'm famous! Lol. Turns out that it was an opportunity that unlocked an ongoing storylet for 20 Fate. Admittedly, that kinda intrigues me, but I'm in no position to buy Fate now. The other option was a simple success that got me Tinctures of Vigor and Laudanum. But Mr. Hearts said my morsels were tasty. ;)

Aidan305
2011-10-18, 10:36 AM
Congrats! That's the highest result that I've found. I'm trying to think of where you can get sapphires...if your Dangerous is high enough, they can be found in the Labyrinth of Tigers. ;)
They can also be bought, along with Venom-rubies, in the Bazaar Side-Streets once you fulfil the necessary requirements to get there.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-23, 04:23 PM
So, I really hope that not too much of those storylines are Fate-exclusive content. Well, I guess I can always try going back to them when I'm willing to sink some money. Because I think the "inconvenienced by an Aunt" storyline would be great fun to play through. And the monster-breeding storyline struck me as rather underwhelming for all the work I went through, but I do find that there's a Fate-powered option (the Mr. Hearts visit) that lets you play through a more detailed go.

In recent news, I bought a nice suit, bringing my Persuasive set to +10, so I'm at 77 Persuasive. Awesome. Yet one more Quality en route to accessing that "100 of each Quality" storyline.

I've also started continuing the Eater of Chains storyline...he's baaaaaaaack...

Aidan305
2011-10-23, 04:49 PM
So, I really hope that not too much of those storylines are Fate-exclusive content.
Unfortunately, once you hit the stat caps most of them seem to be. What's more, the majority of them don't even reward items comparative to the amount of time invested in them. (The new Foreign Office storyline, for example, without getting to the point where you spend fate, will reward about 14.50 worth of stuff, while taking about 20 actions to do). It's a bit disappointing really.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-23, 05:45 PM
Unfortunately, once you hit the stat caps most of them seem to be. What's more, the majority of them don't even reward items comparative to the amount of time invested in them. (The new Foreign Office storyline, for example, without getting to the point where you spend fate, will reward about 14.50 worth of stuff, while taking about 20 actions to do). It's a bit disappointing really.
Well, that's to be expected. They've got a lot of interesting content here, and it's definitely still fun to go through. I'll probably spend some money for Fate when I have money to spend, if only to support their endeavour.

Starwulf
2011-10-23, 06:53 PM
Well, uhh, I uh..have my sapphires now. Quite an abundance of them actually. I apparently just sold my soul :) Pretty interesting climax to the Intimate with a devil/deviless storyline.

Eurus
2011-10-23, 07:30 PM
Well, uhh, I uh..have my sapphires now. Quite an abundance of them actually. I apparently just sold my soul :) Pretty interesting climax to the Intimate with a devil/deviless storyline.

I know what you mean, heh. Happened to me too. I got mine back, eventually (had to spend Fate), but losing it was more fun. :smallbiggrin:

Aidan305
2011-10-23, 07:32 PM

There's a storyline that lets you get it back. You'll need it if you want to take part in the Feast of the World at Summerset College.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-26, 09:05 AM
So, I signed up for a month's free trial with Netflix, planning to cancel when the period runs up, and I got 60 Fate out of it. Win-win on all accounts. So I started up the Inconvenienced by an Aunt storyline again, as well as the one with Mr. Hearts (breeding monsters for the Bishop). And I'll keep my eye open for another interesting storyline to sink Fate into.

Also, I unlocked the Opportunity card for a premises at the Bazaar. And you know what? I think I can get 80k Whispered Secrets easy enough, which sounds bizarre to the me who was playing a while back. But I've got a Jade/Clues engine going in the Shuttered Palace. I should have those Secrets in less than a month!

Eurus
2011-10-26, 09:52 AM
So, I signed up for a month's free trial with Netflix, planning to cancel when the period runs up, and I got 60 Fate out of it. Win-win on all accounts. So I started up the Inconvenienced by an Aunt storyline again, as well as the one with Mr. Hearts (breeding monsters for the Bishop). And I'll keep my eye open for another interesting storyline to sink Fate into.

Also, I unlocked the Opportunity card for a premises at the Bazaar. And you know what? I think I can get 80k Whispered Secrets easy enough, which sounds bizarre to the me who was playing a while back. But I've got a Jade/Clues engine going in the Shuttered Palace. I should have those Secrets in less than a month!

One useful link is this one (http://echobazaar.wikidot.com/end-game-grinding), which lists some of the most efficient ways to get specific items. Remember, if you're actually getting Whispered Secrets from your actions instead of selling other stuff for them, it's half as expensive!

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-26, 10:08 AM
I just realized I forgot to factor in the cost of the Secrets. So I'm earning around 75 Whispered Secrets' worth on each action...hmm.

Starwulf
2011-11-04, 02:17 AM
So, how is everyones Echo Bazaar experience coming along? I've been on a property buying spree myself, I now own 6 properties: Lair in the Marshes, Rooftop Shack, Room above the Gambling dens, Smoky Flophouse, Cottage by the Observatory, and Room above the bookstore.

Lost a ton of turns due to my electricity being out for three days, which sucked, and then had trouble getting it to load, but it's working fine now, and I've been steadily increasing my Watchful, it's at 64 right now with a +7 modifier. Think I'm going to take a break at 65 and level Dangerous for a while.

Annoyed right now because I got put until jail so I could further my ambition, but I didn't realize that I was going to need Foxfire Candles, and I had none, so I had to lower my suspicion to 0, and now I don't feel like going back in ><

ShinyRocks
2011-11-04, 03:57 AM
I've been playing for like a week now. Man but it drags you in. I'm mostly Watchful and Dangerous. Most excitingly, I'm finally at the stage where I can afford to sell things for Bazaar money.

I keep playing with my Giggling Mandrake so that it bites me so that I get wounds so I can rest and hopefully bring my Nightmares down. It's a bit laborious.

Tome
2011-11-04, 06:03 AM
I'm up to around 50 Watchful and Dangerous myself. Between Opportunity cards, the occasional bottle of Laudanum and lots of rest, I think I have my Nightmares under control.

The inability to repeatedly throw myself at Almost Impossible challenges has really slowed my progress though. Any tips for advancing faster?

Eurus
2011-11-04, 07:11 AM
I'm up to around 50 Watchful and Dangerous myself. Between Opportunity cards, the occasional bottle of Laudanum and lots of rest, I think I have my Nightmares under control.

The inability to repeatedly throw myself at Almost Impossible challenges has really slowed my progress though. Any tips for advancing faster?

Mm, not really. Watchful is one of the harder ones to advance for exactly that reason. My advice would be to do straightforward challenges, unless you have Sudden Insights; if you do, burn them on Chancy challenges, since those give you three points of progress in your stat (at least if you succeed, if they fail it might be two, don't recall).

I'm focusing Persuasive lately, myself. Pursuing an interesting romance in the Empress's Court. Up to 83 Persuasive so far, with another +15 from items.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-07, 02:11 AM
The Starveling Cat! The Starveling Cat!
They put it in a box! And it hated that! The Starveling Cat bursts out of the box in an avalanche of shredded brown paper. It leaps at your face, fangs bared. You fight it off frantically, sustaining a series of savage cuts. It drops to the floor and snarls like a tiger. Then it climbs your armoire, claws gouging the varnish, and glares at you. It doesn't move until midnight, when it steals into your pantry and wolfs down an entire joint of beef.
OHMIGAWSH!!!!! I HAS THE STARVELING CAT!!!!!

Many thanks for sending it, Eurus! Now I need to figure out what the heck to do with it...but still...THE STARVELING CAT!!!!

Starwulf
2011-11-07, 02:31 AM

Many thanks for sending it, Eurus! Now I need to figure out what the heck to do with it...but still...THE STARVELING CAT!!!!

Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't realize that that was a freaking possibility! I've always discarded that opportunity card when it's come around, to send someone a nearly unwrapped cat! Hell, I'll have to start sending those suckers out, and hope some peeps start sending em to me! Me want Starveling Cat as well!

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-07, 02:36 AM
Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't realize that that was a freaking possibility! I've always discarded that opportunity card when it's come around, to send someone a nearly unwrapped cat! Hell, I'll have to start sending those suckers out, and hope some peeps start sending em to me! Me want Starveling Cat as well!
I'll toss some your way, once I get the card.

ShinyRocks
2011-11-07, 07:15 AM
Oh, I unwrapped it cos I thought it was mean to the poor kitty. I didn't realise.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-07, 02:06 PM
Oh, I unwrapped it cos I thought it was mean to the poor kitty. I didn't realise.
Yeah, I usually do that too.

Eurus
2011-11-07, 10:07 PM

Isn't it wonderful? It only gets used in a few rare opportunities, I think.

The Starveling Cat!
The Starveling Cat!
They put it in a box!
And it hated that!

Starwulf
2011-11-08, 02:19 AM
Woot! I officially have +10 to my dangerous quality now. Another day and I should be at 60+10(at 57 and literally 1 challenge away from 58).

+1 Hat, +3 Pet, +2 Gloves and boots, +1 Weapon, +1 Suit. Kinda ticked about the suits, there are literally no +2 dangerous suits. Hell, I don't even think there are any +3 or +4's >< I guess Hat is my next place to turn to for an upgrade, I'll probably save up for a +3 Dangerous one.

Aidan305
2011-11-08, 07:43 AM
Isn't it wonderful? It only gets used in a few rare opportunities, I think.

The Starveling Cat!
The Starveling Cat!
They put it in a box!
And it hated that!

You need one if you intend to seek the name.

Tome
2011-11-08, 10:10 AM
You need one if you intend to seek the name.

Speaking of which, if I could convince folks to send any boxed cats my way... :smallwink:

Is there anyone who doesn't intend to seek the name at some point? It's like a big red button, waiting to be pushed.

Aidan305
2011-11-08, 10:22 AM
Is there anyone who doesn't intend to seek the name at some point? It's like a big red button, waiting to be pushed.

My friend got the three numbers the other day. He experienced of loss of 500 points in each stat as well as a few other nasty things.

I'm looking forward to it.

ShinyRocks
2011-11-08, 10:28 AM
I've got a boxed cat at the moment, but it's got layers left, so I don't know if that means it needs to do a few more rounds.

Bucky
2011-11-08, 01:11 PM
I'm looking forward to it.

Trust me, it's not worth it.

I could tell you why in about 10 words, which would definitely persuade you to avoid it. But that would feel lame, so I will stick to cryptic hints.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-08, 01:48 PM
I've got a boxed cat at the moment, but it's got layers left, so I don't know if that means it needs to do a few more rounds.
You can't open it all the way yourself. You can only pass it along.

Tome
2011-11-08, 03:14 PM
So, it turns out that not all of the higher end Watchful challenges increase Nightmares when you fail. Some increase Wounds, or simply have no penalty at all. This should make raising Watchful a tad faster, particularly when combined with the stat-dropping gear.

On an unrelated note, my Wounds have hit 7. Time to spend some time resting (which might shed some Nightmares at the same time).

ShinyRocks
2011-11-08, 05:15 PM
You can't open it all the way yourself. You can only pass it along.

Oh, no, I know. I just mean that I'm not sure if I send it on to someone they'll get to the Cat or have to pass it on again.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-09, 02:06 AM
Oh, no, I know. I just mean that I'm not sure if I send it on to someone they'll get to the Cat or have to pass it on again.
Far as I can tell, the "Nearly Unwrapped Cat" is always received. So, you always get it with one layer left. The thing is, the Starveling Cat is a rare drop, I think, for the "fortunate" result.

EDIT: I'm pursuing the Barbed Wit romance in the Shuttered Palace.
I got to the storylet choice where the misogynist doctor was talking about how women's rights to vote and be educated were scientific flukes, and decided that I was going to throw the idiot out the window. :smallbiggrin: My exile is TOTALLY WORTH IT.

Luzahn
2011-11-10, 12:31 PM
Is there any way to friend somebody on the game besides facebook? I've got an interesting card, and nobody to interact with.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-10, 01:10 PM
Is there any way to friend somebody on the game besides facebook? I've got an interesting card, and nobody to interact with.
Twitter-following.

I'm playersideblog on Twitter, so if you set up an EB Twitter, you can follow me and the other folks. Maybe the OP can edit a list of Twitter handles into the first post?

Tome
2011-11-10, 01:14 PM
Twitter-following.

I'm playersideblog on Twitter, so if you set up an EB Twitter, you can follow me and the other folks. Maybe the OP can edit a list of Twitter handles into the first post?

He hasn't posted in this thread in a while.

Luzahn
2011-11-10, 02:42 PM
Well, that being the case, I would accept any twitter handles. mine is Luzahn122

Starwulf
2011-11-10, 03:23 PM
So, what exactly is the Carnival for? I've been wondering for some time, I've gone there a couple of times, and had an opportunity card or two having me catch a wolf or what not, but I've never actually done anything when I traveled there.

Luzahn
2011-11-10, 03:25 PM
From what I've seen, it's just a hub of useful activities, and can raise your connectedness to various groups.

Starwulf
2011-11-10, 03:32 PM
From what I've seen, it's just a hub of useful activities, and can raise your connectedness to various groups.

Oh, sweet. That's pretty cool then. Can't say I'll really have to much of a use for that, can get connections AND raise my qualities just doing normal stuff. But, I guess if I was ever in a pinch, I know where to go now ^^

Partysan
2011-11-10, 04:01 PM
Question, how is that with Ambitions? You can get only one, so do I just choose the one of my favourite stat? Do I get more choices later or are there only those four?

Starwulf
2011-11-10, 04:14 PM
Question, how is that with Ambitions? You can get only one, so do I just choose the one of my favourite stat? Do I get more choices later or are there only those four?

Only those four, and I'd say go with whichever one sounds the most interesting to you. However, unless you make that particular quality your main one, you might advance rather slowly. Though, to be honest, you'll be raising TWO qualities to raise up any one of those ambitions. I picked the Dangerous one, and it requires a high watchful as well. Currently raising my Dangerous so I can complete my level 27 ambition.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-10, 04:21 PM
Only those four, and I'd say go with whichever one sounds the most interesting to you. However, unless you make that particular quality your main one, you might advance rather slowly. Though, to be honest, you'll be raising TWO qualities to raise up any one of those ambitions. I picked the Dangerous one, and it requires a high watchful as well. Currently raising my Dangerous so I can complete my level 27 ambition.
Also of note: I'm currently in the process of raising all of my stats to 100, and if you're eager to explore and find more content, it's trivial to play through all of your stats.

See, for me, part of the joy of EB is unlocking new content as you get higher in level in each various quality. So, for me, it's perfectly satisfying to raise all of my qualities, although I do focus on one or the other at any given time. Because no matter which quality I raise, I'm going to be going through interesting content.

I think that's because increasing Qualities is actually a major part of gameplay. It's not like in most RPGs where you increase your stats as part of a budget. Instead, you increase your stats as you play various things.

Luzahn
2011-11-10, 04:32 PM
Now, I appear to be playing the nemesis ambition. Is this the Dangerous one?

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-10, 05:28 PM
Now, I appear to be playing the nemesis ambition. Is this the Dangerous one?
Dangerous and Watchful, yes.

Luzahn
2011-11-10, 05:31 PM
Excellent. My two favorite. I'm going for a sort of survivor-character. Very paranoid.

Edit: Hm, I appear to be becoming quite insane. I require assistance. :smalltongue:

Starwulf
2011-11-10, 09:19 PM
Hmm, when does the Little House Plant storylet go to something different? I'm at level 6 for it, and I still only have the option to buy food and pots for it(50 jade), or have someone come and examine it.

Edit: Also, after I passed the 25th step in my Ambition, it said I had unlocked the ability to buy Black Wings Absinthe from the Bazaar, but, when I go there, it's not there, ANYWHERE. Why is that? Getting kind of annoyed here, I reaaaally need to be able to buy it, I have an opportunity card that requires it.

Double Edit: WOOT! Just completed a mini-storylet amongst the Dangerous set of challenges, and man was it awesome :). The ending was the best. Mr. Fires himself came to me and said he'd be keeping an eye on me. Connected: The Masters of the Bazaar is mine! MUAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH. Veteran of the Battle of Wolfstack Docks as well! That was a rush :)

Chris Gardiner
2011-11-11, 11:44 AM
Edit: Also, after I passed the 25th step in my Ambition, it said I had unlocked the ability to buy Black Wings Absinthe from the Bazaar, but, when I go there, it's not there, ANYWHERE. Why is that? Getting kind of annoyed here, I reaaaally need to be able to buy it, I have an opportunity card that requires it.

It just so happens that I work on Echo Bazaar, so I had a quick look at this for you. Are you doing the Bag a Legend ambition? If so, I think you might have misread the last step - it says you can buy a bottle in Veilgarden, so just head over that way.

(If you ever get stuck on your ambition you can go into the 'Me' tab, open the 'Ambition' heading under your qualities and reminisce about your progress - this lets you reread all your ambition story so far, so it's a good way to check what you should be doing next.)

When I played the battle of Wolfstack Docks it all went a bit wrong - I sided with the strikers all the way through then at the end clicked the wrong button and betrayed the to the Masters. Er. Oops.

Glad you're enjoying the game! It's a blast to work on.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-11, 01:31 PM
Hmm, when does the Little House Plant storylet go to something different? I'm at level 6 for it, and I still only have the option to buy food and pots for it(50 jade), or have someone come and examine it.
I'm approaching 10, and it's still going...maybe 10 is it.

Double Edit: WOOT! Just completed a mini-storylet amongst the Dangerous set of challenges, and man was it awesome :). The ending was the best. Mr. Fires himself came to me and said he'd be keeping an eye on me. Connected: The Masters of the Bazaar is mine! MUAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH. Veteran of the Battle of Wolfstack Docks as well! That was a rush :)
Oh, very nice! And the Wolfstack Docks battle was an awesome moment.

Excellent. My two favorite. I'm going for a sort of survivor-character. Very paranoid.

Edit: Hm, I appear to be becoming quite insane. I require assistance. :smalltongue:
Confess some Nightmares to me. I think I have just enough room to keep you saner. Though I'll ask the same in return...(though you get a small Nightmare bump for listening, if two people trade off, the Nightmare decrease means they both lose Nightmares fast.)

Hey, thanks for swinging by! EB is a pretty nifty game. And a clever engine.

Aidan305
2011-11-11, 01:45 PM
You get to enter it in competitions at a later point against your friends' plants.

Luzahn
2011-11-11, 02:49 PM
Carpe, what's the twitter follow I can use?

Starwulf
2011-11-11, 03:43 PM
It just so happens that I work on Echo Bazaar, so I had a quick look at this for you. Are you doing the Bag a Legend ambition? If so, I think you might have misread the last step - it says you can buy a bottle in Veilgarden, so just head over that way.

(If you ever get stuck on your ambition you can go into the 'Me' tab, open the 'Ambition' heading under your qualities and reminisce about your progress - this lets you reread all your ambition story so far, so it's a good way to check what you should be doing next.)

When I played the battle of Wolfstack Docks it all went a bit wrong - I sided with the strikers all the way through then at the end clicked the wrong button and betrayed the to the Masters. Er. Oops.

:) Thank you! I definitely mis-read then, I'll swing by Veilgarden once some of my actions restore and grab a bottle :)

Also, WOW! Go Go Developers frequenting other forums! That's pretty awesome, and all I can say is: Thank you for such an awesome game. I've had a blast with it shortly after this thread was started and my interest was sparked ^^ Oh, and Ouch on the mis-click at the battle. I had been considering betraying, and then was like "Naaahhh"

Edit: Oooh, Oooh, OOOOHH! For Eyes whom have reached Dangerous 73 and above The Spider-Council!!!! Unfortunately, I don't think I can go any further, it want's to know if I know about the Correspondence, and I haven't reached that title yet(A Scholar of Correspondence), and I don't want to kill this thing, seems like it could be quite an interesting storylet if I let it play out!

Partysan
2011-11-11, 07:39 PM
Hmmm, I want to start an ambition, but I can't decide between the Nemesis and Heart's Desire ones...
Oh, and nice to see a dev here, Starwulf! The game is certainly enthralling in its way. I found it through Extra Credits.

Eurus
2011-11-11, 08:39 PM
Edit: Oooh, Oooh, OOOOHH! For Eyes whom have reached Dangerous 73 and above The Spider-Council!!!! Unfortunately, I don't think I can go any further, it want's to know if I know about the Correspondence, and I haven't reached that title yet(A Scholar of Correspondence), and I don't want to kill this thing, seems like it could be quite an interesting storylet if I let it play out!

Ahahahaha. Hahaha. Ha... Oh god, too funny. You'll get the joke, eventually. :smallamused:

Starwulf
2011-11-11, 09:29 PM
Ahahahaha. Hahaha. Ha... Oh god, too funny. You'll get the joke, eventually. :smallamused:

Lol! I have this sneaky suspicion now, that I'll get it by pretending to know what it is with the spider. Or something like that. LOL. Only one way to find out I guess :)

Edit: Well, that didn't work ^^ LOL. What I"m reaaaaally confused about now, is why in the hell I ended up in the place you go when your wounds hit 8, when my wounds only now just hit 6 because of the bites and poison I suffered from lying to that abomination ><.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-11, 10:30 PM
Carpe, what's the twitter follow I can use?
playersideblog

Tome
2011-11-12, 12:37 AM
Edit: Well, that didn't work ^^ LOL. What I"m reaaaaally confused about now, is why in the hell I ended up in the place you go when your wounds hit 8, when my wounds only now just hit 6 because of the bites and poison I suffered from lying to that abomination ><.

Some things just send you straight there, regardless of your Wounds, I think.

Starwulf
2011-11-12, 12:43 AM
Some things just send you straight there, regardless of your Wounds, I think.

Ahh, well, that does suck, going to be a decent waste of turns getting back out of there again. le'Sigh! Ahh well, I guess I"ll just raise my Dangerous up a few more levels and beat the crap outta that thing instead of trying to lie to it ^^

Luzahn
2011-11-12, 01:40 AM
playersideblog

Ah, that explains it. I assumed that was something one did, not your tag.

Ceric
2011-11-12, 09:48 PM
Is there any use for London Street Signs besides unlocking the Forgotten Quarter? I traded some Society connections for four of them and now I'm not sure what to do with them.

Eurus
2011-11-12, 10:56 PM
Is there any use for London Street Signs besides unlocking the Forgotten Quarter? I traded some Society connections for four of them and now I'm not sure what to do with them.

They sell for a fair chunk of cash each, don't think they do anything else.

Starwulf
2011-11-13, 11:25 PM
Hmm, for those of you with a High-Dangerous(73+), have you done any of the Black-ribbon Duelist fights in the Docks? I ask, because I'm raising my running battle for one, and I'd like to stop at Modest chance, even if it means I die and have to lower my wounds back down to 0 again, but the way this stuff was worded, it sounds like it's a Permanent Death, which would imply If I lose, all my hard-work is gone in the game and I have to start over?

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-13, 11:39 PM
Hmm, for those of you with a High-Dangerous(73+), have you done any of the Black-ribbon Duelist fights in the Docks? I ask, because I'm raising my running battle for one, and I'd like to stop at Modest chance, even if it means I die and have to lower my wounds back down to 0 again, but the way this stuff was worded, it sounds like it's a Permanent Death, which would imply If I lose, all my hard-work is gone in the game and I have to start over?
I made sure to be safe, but when I failed one of those, I got an out. So I'm not sure...because it does sound like a permadeath. I'd build Running Battle just to be safe, anyway. It builds your Dangerous quality.

Eurus
2011-11-14, 01:44 AM
It depends on the fight. Worst-case scenario you just end up on the boat, which you can get off as normal, but some of the losses actually end with you getting embarrassed but not killed through some stroke of luck.

Starwulf
2011-11-14, 08:14 PM
MUAHAHAHAHAHA. I have killed my first spider council! I now have "Arachnologist 2" Pretty hyped about that, since it leads me to believe I may get to fight more eventually :) I am mad about one thing though. I went to try my first duel, and LOST with my modifier at low-risk >< was kinda irked about that, I seem to have better luck with modest then I do low-risk. I've failed more Low-risk challenges(with second chances) then I have modest with second chance. Up to Dangerous 77 now(66+11), figure I'll stop at 69+11 for a flat 80, then go back to Watchful for a bit, then take them both to a base of 75, then I'm going to hit up shadowy and persuasive for a while again.

Looking forward to seeing the next card(assuming there is one) that gives a reward(more or less) for having all Attributes over a certain level. Probably either 60 or 75.(you know, like how you get that "You're in a pub, blah blah" for having all 4 over 30)

Edit: Woot! I also just won my first Black Ribbon Duel! A purse of 832 Rostygold was my reward. Huzzah!

Starwulf
2011-11-17, 06:38 AM
Sigh, I'm stuck raising Dangerous a bit longer then I had anticipated, I got an interesting looking yellow/gold Storylet card about Zailing the Seas. It's base Dangerous needed to get it was 69, with all my equipment I"m at 83 now, and it's still a High-Risk challenge, I want to get it down to modest so even if I fail it this time, if I get it again I can try again and know I have a fairly moderate chance of success.

So, I'm pretty sure I asked this once before, but only got a few responses: Is there any benefit to restarting the Mysterious Benefactor quest? Does anything change in it beyond a few basics depending on what item you choose? Can you perhaps alter the ending so he doesn't end up in the Tomb-Colonies?. It was a good storylet, and I"m tempted to blow 8 Fate on it to restart it, but only if there is a significant change to the story/outcome of it. Not worth burning 8 fate just for a single item.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-17, 02:20 PM
Sigh, I'm stuck raising Dangerous a bit longer then I had anticipated, I got an interesting looking yellow/gold Storylet card about Zailing the Seas. It's base Dangerous needed to get it was 69, with all my equipment I"m at 83 now, and it's still a High-Risk challenge, I want to get it down to modest so even if I fail it this time, if I get it again I can try again and know I have a fairly moderate chance of success.

So, I'm pretty sure I asked this once before, but only got a few responses: Is there any benefit to restarting the Mysterious Benefactor quest? Does anything change in it beyond a few basics depending on what item you choose? Can you perhaps alter the ending so he doesn't end up in the Tomb-Colonies?. It was a good storylet, and I"m tempted to blow 8 Fate on it to restart it, but only if there is a significant change to the story/outcome of it. Not worth burning 8 fate just for a single item.
There are four endings, I believe, one for each major Quality.

Starwulf
2011-11-17, 03:36 PM
There are four endings, I believe, one for each major Quality.

Hmm, I wonder if you get a special ending if you do all 4 of them all the way through ^^

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-17, 08:27 PM
Hmm, I wonder if you get a special ending if you do all 4 of them all the way through ^^
Hmm. I doubt it. That'd be a lot of Fate to blow, too.

Eurus
2011-11-18, 05:05 AM
Did anyone else find grinding Dangerous up to be rather tedious after the first few Black Ribbon duels? I beat Fedduci twice already, Chi Lan once in the normal way and once in the easy way, and Vendrick or whatever his name is, and now I'm spamming straightforward challenges in Watchmaker's Hill because I still need to raise Dangerous several points to get into Labyrinth range or become a Person of Some Importance.

Hmm. Maybe it's because I tended to start a battle, then frolic around the University or something hitting all the Running Battle opportunity cards that come up until the task was more manageable rather than straight-up grinding the storylets for each battle.

Chris Gardiner
2011-11-18, 06:37 AM

No, not currently.

Did anyone else find grinding Dangerous up to be rather tedious after the first few Black Ribbon duels?

Can I ask what level Dangerous you're at, as a matter of interest? It's useful for us to know which bits might need some attention - because Echo Bazaar's a living game we're always implementing new approaches and while we've revisited some earlier sections, others have hardly been touched since they went in.

Starwulf
2011-11-18, 04:03 PM
No, not currently.

Can I ask what level Dangerous you're at, as a matter of interest? It's useful for us to know which bits might need some attention - because Echo Bazaar's a living game we're always implementing new approaches and while we've revisited some earlier sections, others have hardly been touched since they went in.

A: I like the "Not Currently". It means that you're either considering it, or are willing to consider it, and I'd like to personally suggest it! Yes, it is a major expense in fate, but it's you're beginning storyline, and having a unique ending for completing it through all 4 branches would be pretty awesome.

B: I'm currently at 72+11 myself, and am actually getting a bit tired of grinding on the Black-Ribbon as wekk. It's interesting, but I'd like to have a few challenges that DON'T interact with the Black Ribbon stuff, and just gives normal rewards. I'm starting to run a bit low on funds, constantly healing myself, either by buying Potions of Vigor, or using their surgeon, and I would love a chance to still raise my Dangerous, while making money every turn, instead of every 30 or so after I've built up sufficient Running Battle ^^

Tome
2011-11-18, 08:34 PM
A bit where I found a lack of content was in the Watchful route when you've just finished everything that Ladybones Road has to offer, but aren't quite ready for the Forgotten Quarter yet. Not nearly that bad, what with only taking a little bit of grinding to get past, but it was somewhat annoying and could probably do with another card or so.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-11-18, 09:00 PM
Yeah...I think that I got high enough for the Labyrinth by buying Dangerous-boosting equipment, although my Ambition also helped me get to some of the higher levels of that stat. Agreed on the Watchful stuff, too.

Persuasive, however, did an excellent job of transitioning from Veilgarden to the Shuttered Palace.

Chris Gardiner
2011-11-24, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the thoughts, everyone - that's really useful.

Tome
2011-11-28, 08:00 AM
Just got into the university recently. Very fun. :smallwink:

In particular, the presence of a way to lower my nightmares without resorting to Laudanum is very helpful.

Eurus
2011-11-28, 09:09 PM
Just got into the university recently. Very fun. :smallwink:

In particular, the presence of a way to lower my nightmares without resorting to Laudanum is very helpful.

I know, right? It's a lovely reward for making it through the Forgotten Quarter.

Bodez
2011-11-28, 09:36 PM
Since we get a dev in, let me chime in.
I didn't play for the last 3 or 4 months, but not because of how bad it is (because it is actually the bestest .D), but due to all summer/college terms/moving out.
But, I had all stats maxed out, done most of the storylets (free ones at least, and quite a couple of Fate ones). I dropped out halfway through Person of Some Importance storylets (which the best thing in Echo Bazaar, in my opinion, so much great stuff).
So for all you just getting started/playing for not a long time, let me tell you, it only gets better and better. Devs are wonderful, story is supreme, way of communicating it is the best I ever saw (read?), and the whole package is so good that it's hard to believe it actually.
Also, if you have any literary aspirations, it will help you greatly (and go read their blog (http://blog.failbettergames.com/), it's great. Whole way of thinking in storylets and snippets of tales is a great intro of what a good literature is made of.
I got a bit carried away, but like I said, this thing is a masterpiece, so it's not like it isn't worth it .D

Chris Gardiner
2011-11-30, 06:52 AM
Bodez: I think you might be my favourite person ever.

Now excuse me, I have to go and explain that to my wife.

Bodez
2011-11-30, 01:47 PM
Bodez: I think you might be my favourite person ever.

Now excuse me, I have to go and explain that to my wife.

Just explain to her that manly love is different then marriage .D

Chris Gardiner
2011-11-30, 03:57 PM
Just explain to her that manly love is different then marriage .D

"I don't know why you're so angry, darling. It's not like it's another woman."

Bodez
2011-11-30, 05:30 PM
"I don't know why you're so angry, darling. It's not like it's another woman."

Truer words have never been spoken.

VarenTai
2011-12-01, 10:51 AM
OK, so let me add my 2 cents here - I agree that this game is a wonderful blend of storytelling, flavor, and fun. I very much enjoy playing it, though I have a couple of beefs.

I get the reasoning behind limiting the number of turns per day. That's a non-issue. But there are two aspects of that that are quite annoying -

1) My turn refresh occurs at the time of day that I first logged in this character to EB. At least, that's how it seems - both characters I've played with have been created late afternoon in the US, and that's when they refresh. Most games refresh at some central server time, generally at midnight. Now since this is hosted in London, it's possible that the central server refresh time ends up at late afternoon US time, which is fine if that's what is going on. A little annoying, but certainly understandable. But if my character creation time determines my refresh time? That's kinda dumb and needs to change.

2) Limiting my actions to 10 at a time means I have to be able to return multiple times during the day rather than being able to play more at my personal schedule. If I have time to check in 2x/day, then I can burn 10 actions then and 30 later, or 20/20, or 5/35, or whatever combination is good. But restricting the number of turns/day AND putting those turns on a timer that maxes out at 10? I mean, pick one or the other, but both together really limits the amount of time and energy I'm going to put in. If it were a lesser game, I would have quit playing in the first couple of days, but since EB is so insanely cool, I keep coming back and thoroughly enjoying my 10 turns at a time, all while wishing that one of the two timers would go away. I mean, I guess there might be a good reason for it, but since every other turn based game picks either unlimited turns/day with a timer refreshing them, or limited turns/day that you can use whenever, I have a hard time figuring out what that good reason might be that no other game struggles with.

Anyhow, there's my feedback for what it's worth. :) Keep up the good work, I just love the storytelling style, which is why I keep coming back!

Tome
2011-12-01, 12:22 PM
Anyone know the best way to rack up large quantities of Prisoner's Honey? Only I have a couple of cards waiting that both require a lot of it.

Bodez
2011-12-01, 07:52 PM
Anyone know the best way to rack up large quantities of Prisoner's Honey? Only I have a couple of cards waiting that both require a lot of it.

Depends how far are you in game. Also, what amount do you actually need?

Tome
2011-12-02, 07:57 AM
Depends how far are you in game. Also, what amount do you actually need?

I'm at about 95 Watchful and 55 Dangerous. Thinking of saving for the reservation at the Royal Bethlehem Hotel, plus another card that needs about 5000 of it.

Chris Gardiner
2011-12-02, 10:07 AM
VarenTai:

Now since this is hosted in London, it's possible that the central server refresh time ends up at late afternoon US time, which is fine if that's what is going on. A little annoying, but certainly understandable. But if my character creation time determines my refresh time? That's kinda dumb and needs to change.

Nope - nothing to do with character creation. We're a UK-based company, so the daily action refresh runs on UK time.

But restricting the number of turns/day AND putting those turns on a timer that maxes out at 10? I mean, pick one or the other, but both together really limits the amount of time and energy I'm going to put in. If it were a lesser game, I would have quit playing in the first couple of days, but since EB is so insanely cool, I keep coming back and thoroughly enjoying my 10 turns at a time, all while wishing that one of the two timers would go away.

I'm very happy to answer questions about EB, but I'm also mindful of the forum rooms on advertising. So I'll just say vaguely that there are Fate-based ways to relax or circumvent the action limits if they're really annoying you, and then I'll talk a bit about our reasoning on action limits:

EB works basically the same as other 'Energy'-based social games (like Ravenwood Faire and the deeply excellent D&D: Heroes of Neverwinter, which I'm currently obsessed with), where your max energy sets how much you can play per session and the energy regeneration rate effectively limits how much you can play each day.

The session and daily limits are there:

to stop the servers from melting
because we can't write faster than people can read, so we don't want people to just blast through all the story available and then not come back
because we genuinely want to encourage sporadic, bite-size play - that's how we pace our stories and world. Developing a character over a period of months and having mysteries unfold gradually is interesting to us.

Anyhow, there's my feedback for what it's worth. :) Keep up the good work, I just love the storytelling style, which is why I keep coming back!

Glad you're enjoying it. Threads like this one are a huge encouragement to us. EB is an unusual beastie, so it's always great to find people who get it.

VarenTai
2011-12-02, 11:00 AM
EB works basically the same as other 'Energy'-based social games (like Ravenwood Faire and the deeply excellent D&D: Heroes of Neverwinter, which I'm currently obsessed with)

Seriously! I'm quite enjoying HoN so far.

Glad you're enjoying it. Threads like this one are a huge encouragement to us. EB is an unusual beastie, so it's always great to find people who get it.

I appreciate the explanation. It really is a testament to how fun EB is that I keep coming back despite those irritations. Like I said, I would have abandoned a lesser game long ago. :smallbiggrin:

Bodez
2011-12-02, 11:19 AM
I'm at about 95 Watchful and 55 Dangerous. Thinking of saving for the reservation at the Royal Bethlehem Hotel, plus another card that needs about 5000 of it.
There is not much you can do there to farm quickly, but there are some dangerous cards that revolve around Eater of Chains, and they rack up some honey if I recall correctly (that was like, year and a half ago for me, so my memory is really vague about that :smallsigh:)

Ceric
2011-12-02, 01:37 PM
Now that I've played for a while, I've grown to actually appreciate the limitations. If I had an unlimited number of actions, gameplay would just be clicking on every single storylet ad nauseum and the occasional card when those come in. Instead, each action is valuable and I have to think about what I want to spend it on.

On the other hand, I didn't like the Night Circus very much >.> No immersion at all, for me. I was clicking on cards and not even bothering to read them after a while, because there was no risk and I knew what they said already.