PDA

View Full Version : [PF] What would you want in a truenamer-themed class?

BlueInc
2011-09-07, 02:38 PM
After reading and rereading Zaq's posts on the Truenamer, I'm considering homebrewing a Truenamer-inspired PF class on the power level of the bard (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/skills/autohypnosis-wis-trained-only), alchemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist) or magus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus). I'm thinking of making them a buffing/debuffing class with decent healing and damage potential.

Basics:

-d8 hit dice; I want them to not die in melee combat.

-Light armor proficiency, a the summoner?

-4+INT skill points/level; maybe 6+INT, to compensate for all but requiring Truespeak.

-Truespeak as a class skill. Truespeak will function something like Autohypnosis (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/skills/autohypnosis-wis-trained-only), allowing you to gain minor bonuses with a successful Truespeak check.

-Words will be gained in a manner similar to the Witch's hexes or an Oracle's Revelations; one every other level with the ability to burn a feat to get another one. Possible designation of Major Words and Supreme Words that can only be taken at 10 and up and 18 and up, respectively.
---I would like to put the Truespeak emphasis on these abilities. For example maybe instead of these abilities being 1/day, 3+INT modifier/day, or at will, you make a Truespeak check to use it again. The Law of Resistance would come into play here: Every time you use a word, it gets harder and harder to "refresh."
---Some ideas for Words:
-----Make a Truespeak check to overcome spell resistance
-----Substitute a Truespeak check for an ally's saving throw
-----Deal 1d6+INT damage/round for a number of rounds equal to class level
-----Heal 1d6+INT damage/round for a number of rounds equal to class level
-----Apply status effects that last for 1 round/caster level on a failed save
-----Animate objects for a short time
-----Increase speed for a short time, eventually being able to mimic haste
-----Instantly giving an ally a free move action
-----Replace an attack roll with a Truespeak check
-----Take a "10" on a skill check

-Spellcasting on the level of a Bard, Magus, or Alchemist. Spontaneous spellcasting could work, I think; you'd know a certain number of "glyphs" (spells) that you could recite a number of times a day. There would not be a Truespeak check associated with casting. I'm considering giving them psionic manifesting as per Psionics Unleashed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What do you think? It's obviously not a "Truenamer," but I think it would be a fun class to play. I'd especially appreciate feedback on:

-Hit dice (d6 or d8) and skill pool (4+INT or 6+INT)
-Armor proficiency
-Uses for Truespeak purely as a skill
-If the Word system makes sense.
-Ideas for Words
-Manifesting or Casting?
-Level of casting ability.
-Anything else this needs
-Anything you'd like to see in a "word-casting" inspired class.

Edit: Also, BAB and saves. Good Willl, poor Ref and Fort, Medium BAB?

BlueInc
2011-09-07, 06:56 PM
No thoughts at all? Is this something anyone would want to use?

Tyndmyr
2011-09-07, 07:26 PM
Steal the original system. Fiddle with the numbers a bit to fit. There is no shortage of homebrew here to crib from.

Greater variety in Utterances. This is the big one. It is possible to make an effective truenamer. However, pretty much every effective truenamer is going to be taking most of the same things. This can be improved on.

Im not particularly interested in it being a renamed witch. Note that things like overcoming spell resistance already exist in standard RAW.

navar100
2011-09-07, 08:27 PM
Use the Word Magic spell system from Ultimate Magic.

BlueInc
2011-09-08, 08:43 AM
Hmm. Guess I'm off on the wrong track. I basically felt like the Truenamer was a Witch/Bard who had to make skill checks to use their spells, Bardic Music and Hexes.

Actually, now that I think about it, it might be easier to make a Bard Archetype who uses Linguistics instead of Perform checks and INT instead of CHA to cast.

Thanks for the feedback!

Blisstake
2011-09-08, 08:53 AM
Well, no, the problem with Truenamers is the fact that it's an entire class based off of a skill. The problem is you're pretty much required to obtain +Truespeak and +Int items whenever possible. Combat doesn't revolve around skill checks, and making an entire class based on a singular skill just seems like a terrible idea.

BlueInc
2011-09-08, 08:55 AM
Well, no, the problem with Truenamers is the fact that it's an entire class based off of a skill. The problem is you're pretty much required to obtain +Truespeak and +Int items whenever possible. Combat doesn't revolve around skill checks, and making an entire class based on a singular skill just seems like a terrible idea.

That's why I'm thinking about making a "glyphspeaker" (or some such) Bard archetype. Bards are basically based off a skill - perform - but do it in such a way that makes them versatile and useful to the party.

Blisstake
2011-09-08, 08:56 AM
That's why I'm thinking about making a "glyphspeaker" (or some such) Bard archetype. Bards are basically based off a skill - perform - but do it in such a way that makes them versatile and useful to the party.

No, they aren't. You can actually make a viable bard without a single rank in perform.

Corlindale
2011-09-08, 09:03 AM
Yeah, be careful about the use of skills for spell-like mechanics - that often ends badly. The problem is that the standard formula for powers or spells (10 + class level + Stat mod), is going to have automatic limits, and will generally be within a similar range for everyone.

The moment you start throwing skills into the mix things get strange, because it's possible to boost skillchecks much more. This can lead to a scenario where you either don't take this into account, making it easy to make an overpowered character, or overcompensate and make it ridiculously difficult to make the required checks, as in 3.5 Truenamer.