PDA

View Full Version : I have a question: many may be able to answer.

Vince the Mage
2011-09-09, 10:00 PM
How do I get into role-playing games, cause i am completely confused.:confused:

Savannah
2011-09-09, 10:14 PM
I'm guessing that you're asking about the pbp (play by post) games on this site, as you said in your introductory post that you liked D&D. Check out our guide to pbp games here! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181299) It covers pretty much everything you'll need to know. (If I'm guessing wrong, let me know.)

Maxios
2011-09-09, 10:37 PM
You want to get into RPGs, eh? Word of advice. Don't start off with D&D. You're going to need all three of the core rule books and each costs around $40. My advice is start with Basic Fantasy, it's free and in a PDF format and has many supplements.
If you want an oddball feel, go with Toon, which perfectly captures the feel of the various Looney Tune cartoons and turns it into an RPG format. It's also fairly cheap.

Ursus the Grim
2011-09-09, 10:43 PM
You want to get into RPGs, eh? Word of advice. Don't start off with D&D. You're going to need all three of the core rule books and each costs around $40. My advice is start with Basic Fantasy, it's free and in a PDF format and has many supplements.
If you want an oddball feel, go with Toon, which perfectly captures the feel of the various Looney Tune cartoons and turns it into an RPG format. It's also fairly cheap.

If we're talking about 3.5, just buy the PHB used off of Amazon. 35 bucks. Cheaper elsewhere. The rest of the core rules can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/), free of charge or copyright. D&D has the advantage of having arguably the largest fanbase to draw advice and suggestions from, and the easiest people to find if you're looking for real life games. Its also helpful if you move into other d20 games.

Savannah
2011-09-09, 10:54 PM
Don't start off with D&D. You're going to need all three of the core rule books and each costs around $40.

Not necessarily true. If you want D&D 3.5, you can play quite happily with just the free SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/). And if you're buying books, you only need the Player's Handbook.

Maxios
2011-09-09, 11:06 PM
I was talking about 4th edition. I also didn't know there was a srd...

KillianHawkeye
2011-09-10, 06:45 AM
He still doesn't need to buy all three core books if he can find a group to join as a player. In that case, a single book will do nicely (depending on what game the group is playing). Or if he joins an IRL gaming group, in most cases he can look at another person's book to start off with.

Kobold-Bard
2011-09-10, 06:50 AM
How do I get into role-playing games, cause i am completely confused.:confused:

Not a board/site issue, unless you are having trouble literally accessing the roleplaying games section of the site; but I assume that's not what you meant.

I reccomend opening a new thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30) if you want to continue this discussion since you'll get more responses & it's in the right area then.

If you mean the PbP games, go here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51) & see if any of the games take your fancy. Unless they say they're private/closed or something, recruitment threads are free for the general populace to post in.

Vince the Mage
2011-09-10, 11:28 AM
I'm already a pretty good DM in real life, also I'm a good magic-user or paladin, and I started with v.1, then v.3.5, and finally v.4. I'm usually playing with my brother, which is odd, i know, but we still do it. Also I play something called TMG, some very strange game I played when I created it at the age of...about 8, really. A very long time ago.

oh yeah also I have many books: 2 players handbook, 4 monster manuals, unearthed arcana, oriental adventures, and many others.

If you want to know more on TMG, PM me.It's strange so I don't recommend it.

Hanuman
2011-09-10, 11:36 AM
Make friends.

Vince the Mage
2011-09-10, 12:42 PM
ok... whatever you say, I guess. :smallsmile:

Vince the Mage
2011-09-10, 12:51 PM
ALSO: I want to know how to actaully be IN the adventure without asking in the middle of it... unless thats allowed, i guess.

Savannah
2011-09-10, 12:58 PM
Are you talking about the play by post games on this forum? That clarification would really help, as we're all answering slightly different things.

If so, no, you're not allowed to ask about joining a game in progress. Check out the "Finding Players" subforum instead (which I'm pretty sure is covered in the link I gave you in my first post).

Vince the Mage
2011-09-10, 03:36 PM
Thanks!

That's a big help, I was confused earlier. Thanks a lot!

WitchSlayer
2011-09-10, 05:17 PM
You could gather friends together and buy the Red Box which is around 20 bucks OR you could find your local gaming store, see if they run D&D Encounters and go to that. Its free and a pretty good way to get into it when you're just starting out.

Calmar
2011-09-10, 06:23 PM
I was talking about 4th edition. I also didn't know there was a srd...

Who says D&D when he in fact means 4Ed? :smallconfused: :smalltongue:

The Underlord
2011-09-10, 06:44 PM
Make friends.

That assumes their are people near you who play roleplaying games, which thier might not be. My advice is start with the 3.5 using the srd, and if you cant find anybody who will play, join a pbp here.

Hanuman
2011-09-10, 10:41 PM
That assumes their are people near you who play roleplaying games
Nope, making friends is a good idea outright.