PDA

View Full Version : The Green Mage (3.5 E6 base class, PEACH)

Gnorman
2011-09-15, 04:18 AM
The Green Mage

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8707/druidk.jpg

HD: d6
Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Profession, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival
Skill Points: 4 + Int per level (4x at 1st)

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|0|1|2|3

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Spellcasting, Archetype, Shapeshifting|5|4|-|-

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Lesser Archetype Power|6|5|-|-

3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Whispers of Nature|6|6|3|-

4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Moderate Archetype Power|6|6|4|-

5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Power from the Land|6|6|5|3

6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Greater Archetype Power, Capstone SLA|6|6|6|4[/table]

Class Abilities

Proficiencies: A Green Mage is proficient with light armor, simple weapons, the scimitar, the shortbow, and the greatclub. He does not suffer from arcane failure while in light armor, though he suffers normally from all other kinds of armor and shields.

Spellcasting: A Green Mage casts arcane spells from a specialized list, which is included below. A Green Mage need not prepare spells ahead of time - he may spontaneously cast any spell on his list from the appropriate slot. He still requires eight hours of rest to refresh his spells. His sole casting stat is Wisdom, which dictates both the DC of his spells and his bonus spells. To cast a spell, a Green Mage must have a Wisdom score equal to 10 + the level of spell in question.

Archetype: At 1st level, a Green Mage chooses an archetype from the following list, each of which conveys a certain set of advantages and abilities. Once chosen, this cannot be changed or reversed. Each archetype has a Lesser power, a Moderate power, a Greater power, and a Capstone SLA associated with it, which the Green Mage receives at the levels noted above. Each archetype also adds bonus spells known to the Green Mage's list, which are listed below.

Shapeshifting: A Green Mage gains the wild shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#wildShape) ability, with the following changes: he may shift into an alternate form an unlimited number of times per day, even at level one (though he is still may not take forms greater than his own hit dice). He is not healed upon shifting. Shifting into an alternate form requires a swift action and may only be done once per round. He may not choose dire animals or dinosaurs. He may never cast spells when in an alternate form. This ability does not qualify him for feats that require wild shape, nor may he use it to fuel abilities that require the expenditure of a use of wild shape.

Lesser Archetype Power: At 2nd level, a Green Mage gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Whispers of Nature: At 3rd level, a Green Mage gains an untyped +2 bonus to both Knowledge (geography) and Knowledge (nature).

Moderate Archetype Power: At 4th level, a Green Mage gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Power from the Land: At 5th level, when in a natural environment, a green mage gains a +1 bonus to caster level and a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls.

Greater Archetype Power: At 6th level, a Green Mage gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Capstone SLA: At 6th level, a Green Mage gains the knowledge of two particular 4th-level spells and may choose one of them each day to cast as an SLA 1/day, as appropriate for his archetype. His caster level is equal to his hit dice, and the DC of the spell, if applicable, is equal to 10 + 1/2 his hit dice + his Wisdom modifier.

Green Mage Spell List:
0: Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Flare, Guidance, Know Direction, Light, Mending, Purify Food and Drink, Read Magic, Resistance, Virtue
1: Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Detect Animals or Plants, Detect Snares and Pits, Endure Elements, Enrage Animal (SpC), Entangle, Faerie Fire, Goodberry, Hide from Animals, Longstrider, Magic Fang, Obscuring Mist, Pass Without Trace, Shillelagh, Snake's Swiftness (SpC), Summon Nature's Ally I, Thunderhead (SpC), Wood Wose (SpC), Lesser Vigor (SpC)
2: Animalistic Power (PHB II), Barkskin, Brambles (SpC), Briar Web (SpC), Delay Poison, Fog Cloud, Gust of Wind, Healing Sting (SpC), Hold Animal, Mass Snake's Swiftness (SpC), Soften Earth and Stone, Splinterbolt (SpC), Summon Nature's Ally II, Tree Shape, Warp Wood, Wood Shape
3: Call Lightning, Diminish Plants, Dominate Animal, Greater Magic Fang, Plant Growth, Poison, Quillfire (SpC), Sleet Storm, Speak with Plants, Spike Growth, Spikes (SpC), Stone Shape, Summon Nature's Ally III, Vigor (SpC), Mass Lesser Vigor (SpC), Water Breathing, Wind Wall

Archetypes

Chloromancer
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/sx_gallery/98829.jpg
Bonus Spells:
1: Camouflage (SpC), Spore Field (CS)
2: One with the Land (SpC), Trip Vine (SpC)
3: Vine Mine (SpC), Thornskin (SpC)
Capstone SLA: Blood Briars (SpC) or Reincarnate

Lesser Archetype Power: When in direct sunlight, a chloromancer gains fast healing 2.
Moderate Archetype Power: A chloromancer can choose to share his fast healing with any and all allies within five feet. He must still be in direct sunlight and his allies must be touching him to benefit.
Greater Archetype Power A chloromancer takes on some characteristics of the plant he venerates: he becomes immune to critical hits, though he also develops a vulnerability to fire and takes 50% more damage from it.

Elementalist
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/compmage_gallery/100515.jpg
Bonus Spells:
1: Cloudburst (SpC), Foundation of Stone (SpC)
2: Heart of Air (CM), Master Air (SpC)
3: Heart of Water (CM), Stony Grasp (SpC)
Capstone SLA: Defenestrating Sphere (SpC) or Heart of Stone (CM)

Lesser Archetype Power: An elementalist gains the services of a small elemental as a companion, which is treated in all ways like an animal companion except that it does not receive any bonuses for advancement except for Share Spells, Evasion, and Devotion. He may choose from water, earth, or air elementals. He also gains Aquan, Auran, and Terran as bonus languages if he does not already possess them.
Moderate Archetype Power: An elementalist gains a small amount of resistance depending on the type of his elemental companion. He gains either acid resistance 5 (Earth), cold resistance 5 (Water), or lightning resistance 5 (Air). In addition, his companion becomes a medium elemental of the same type.
Greater Archetype Power An elementalist takes on some aspect of his elemental companion. Air elementalists receive a 20 foot fly speed with perfect maneuverability. Earth elementalists receive a 10 foot burrow speed. Water elementalists receive a 20 foot swim speed and the ability to permanently breathe underwater. In addition, he may choose from small or medium elementals when shifting.

Ophidian
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dmg2_gallery/90083.jpg
Bonus Spells:
1: Breath of the Jungle (SpC), Corrosive Grasp (SpC)
2: Blinding Spittle (SpC), Ray of the Python (PHBII)
3: Acidic Breath (SpC), Snakebite (MoF)
Capstone SLA: Murderous Mist (SpC) or Venom Bolt (SK)

Lesser Archetype Power: Reptilian creatures of animal intelligence will not attack an ophidian unless provoked, and will fight on his behalf. The ophidian may not command them directly, but they will do their best to attack his foes. In addition, the attitude of any intelligent reptilian or snake-like creatures that the ophidian encounters is one step friendlier.
Moderate Archetype Power: An ophidian becomes immune to injury poisons and gains resistance to acid 5. In addition, he may select dinosaur forms when shifting.
Greater Archetype Power: An ophidian may transmit black adder venom with his natural attacks while shifted. The DC of this venom is equal to 10 + half the ophidian's level + the ophidian's Constitution modifier.

Subterranean
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ud_gallery/52114_CN.jpg
Bonus Spells:
1: Fist of Stone (SpC), Hail of Stone (SpC)
2: Earthbind (SpC), Lava Missile (SK)
3: Meld into Stone, Tremor (SpC)
Capstone SLA: Stoneskin or Sudden Stalagmite (SpC)

Lesser Archetype Power: A subterranean possesses darkvision out to 60 feet. If the subterranean already possesses darkvision, it doubles in range.
Moderate Archetype Power: A subterranean gains the ability to walk on walls or ceiling as if under the Spider Climb spell, as long as those surfaces are made of earth or stone.
Greater Archetype Power: A subterranean may use the earth glide ability of an earth elemental, though he must hold his breath and may begin to suffocate as normal.

Wildling
http://img.booru.org/Grognard//images/6/a8352b0df06831cb6760d3424fb1813e0680c786.jpg
Bonus Spells:
1: Beast Claws (SpC), Beastland Ferocity (SpC)
2: Wild Instincts (RoE), Nature's Favor (SpC)
3: Spiritjaws (SpC), Jagged Tooth (SpC)
Capstone SLA: Essence of the Raptor (SpC) or Vortex of Teeth (SpC)

Lesser Archetype Power: While shifted, a wildling's natural weapons do damage as if they were one category larger. In addition, a wildling may select dire animals when shifting.
Moderate Archetype Power: A wildling may treat himself as of the animal type for the purpose of his spells, and may cast spells affecting his natural weapons even if he possesses none at the time - if he shifts into a form that does possess them, and the duration of the spell has not run out, they apply to his natural weapons in that form.
Greater Archetype Power: A wildling is treated as being two levels higher for the purposes of shifting, allowing him to take the forms of large animals and changing his HD cap to 8.

Morph Bark
2011-09-15, 07:01 AM
Very nice stuff. I really like the Archetypes too and that they get a 4th-level spell as a capstone SLA.

Are all your other E6 casters going to have such Archetypes too? (I presume that next to Red for fire and lightning and Green for nature there will also be Black for necromantic stuff, White for healing and divination and Blue for... prolly cold and acid if the Red does not have them, or maybe abjurations and buffs?)

Dryad
2011-09-15, 10:25 AM
I think this is absolutely brilliant! I'd love to see an E6 compendium of yours. :D

Edit: This class (as well as the archetype options) are very smooth and professional. Really; this has to be the best d20 homebrew I've seen on this board so far, by leaps and bounds.
Only a comparison to your other E6 classes will tell about the balance, though.
*hint hint*

Second edit: Just for convenience's sake, it would be nice if you could include a glossary for the source-book abbreviations.

Hanuman
2011-09-15, 11:09 AM
I'm liking it =]

jiriku
2011-09-15, 01:29 PM
Nicely done. Simple, flavorful, elegant, effective. Very good homebrew.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-09-15, 01:46 PM
Well...you nicely solved the issue that was plaguing my E6 revision about player choice in the classes. Applying the paths to separate classes rather than to character archetypes across multiple classes (which is what I was doing) works much better.

I have to ask...would you mind if I adapted this concept for my own work? It's similar to the system I was using, but much, much more streamlined and adaptable. I hesitate to adapt the idea without permission though, as I don't want to inadvertently step on the toes of your design work.

Either way, this stuff is great. :smallbiggrin:

Gnorman
2011-09-15, 03:45 PM
Very nice stuff. I really like the Archetypes too and that they get a 4th-level spell as a capstone SLA.

Are all your other E6 casters going to have such Archetypes too? (I presume that next to Red for fire and lightning and Green for nature there will also be Black for necromantic stuff, White for healing and divination and Blue for... prolly cold and acid if the Red does not have them, or maybe abjurations and buffs?)

Black Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215165) exists here, and is indeed a necromancy-based class, with sidelines in conjuration and shadow-based illusion spells.

Red Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215306), as mentioned, focuses on fire and lightning-based evocations and battle-themed transmutation, as well as generally being a buffer.

The Blue Mage will focus on divination, enchantment, some illusion spells, and will have the occasional sideline in teleportation, flight, air and cold spells.

The White Mage will focus on healing, defense, protection, and holy power.

I'd love to see an E6 compendium of yours

In the works. Once the five spellcasting classes are finished, I plan on moving on to the five combat classes (Gladiator, Vanguard, Corsair, Zealot, and Brawler) and then the five skill-based classes (Archer, Bard, Sage, Technologist, and Rogue).

I have to ask...would you mind if I adapted this concept for my own work? It's similar to the system I was using, but much, much more streamlined and adaptable. I hesitate to adapt the idea without permission though, as I don't want to inadvertently step on the toes of your design work.

Adapt away - it's a friggin' honor just to be asked.

Nero24200
2011-09-15, 04:14 PM
*Added to bookmarks*

Very interesting class. I'll be keeping an eye on the other classes as they come out. Are you planning on creating non-magical classes for E6 as well?

Also are the colours are inspired by Magic the Gathering by any chance?

Gnorman
2011-09-15, 04:52 PM
*Added to bookmarks*

Very interesting class. I'll be keeping an eye on the other classes as they come out. Are you planning on creating non-magical classes for E6 as well?

Also are the colours are inspired by Magic the Gathering by any chance?

To the first question: absolutely, yes. I have fifteen classes in total planned, all in the same style and with the same basic structure. There will be a suite of combat classes, with the Gladiator (medium-armor, versatile, concentrating on combat maneuvers), the Vanguard (heavy armor, an attempt to make a tank work in D&D), the Corsair (lightly armored, highly mobile, deals in crippling strikes), the Zealot (divinely-inspired warrior, with many abilities keying off charisma), and the Brawler (no armor, high damage but little in the way of defense). The suite of skilled classes will include the Bard (less about music and poetry, more about manipulation, subtlety), the Rogue (fairly standard, but more acrobatic and murderous, less skilled in diplomacy than the bog-standard rogue), the Sage (intelligence and knowledge based, think factotum or archivist without spellcasting), the Technologist (will dabble in alchemy, explosives, even gunnery, will also have a archetype that gets it a pet construct), and the Archer (can vary from deadeyed sniper to ranger-style beastmaster, depending on archetype chosen).

All of these classes are planned for an alternate-earth campaign setting, set roughly around the decline of the Roman empire.

As for the second, yes again. When attempting to take the wizard, the sorcerer, the cleric, and the druid, shuffling them all together and attempting to redivide them, the five-color schematic made a lot of sense - both from a thematic perspective and from a mechanical one. M:tG took a lot of inspiration from real-world historical concepts about magic, which is what I am drawing from as well - the Celtic druidic tradition, notions about "white" and "black" magic (Theurgy and Goetia, respectively), the Hermetic philosophy, et cetera. The classes and specializations in Dragon Age also provided a bit of inspiration. I think I have managed to get most of the caster archetypes filled by some class or the other, but if you can think of something I'm missing, by all means let me know.

I had also toyed with the creation of a sixth spellcasting class, the Grey Mage, which would concentrate on creation spells, matter manipulation, artifice, and golemcraft (in the parlance of M:tG, the artifact deck). I still may, though it would require me to add an extra class to the other two categories to maintain the symmetry. I don't want to overload the project with base classes, but I do want to fill certain design concepts. But the Grey Mage may simply be subsumed in a mundane way by the Technologist - I have not yet decided.

Eldest
2012-02-10, 11:34 AM
Technically, the Power From the Land ability kicks in at level 1. You need to add into the text when the Green Mage gains it.