PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo anyone?

Pages : [1] 2

dehro
2011-09-15, 07:57 PM
yeah... so I just found out about this...thing, project, marathon?

it's intriguing, especially because it calls back to how I used to pour words on a page when I was a teenager, as opposed to a more organic/organized approach which btw isn't getting me anywhere (but that's mostly because of work and similar annoyances)...
has any of the forumites taken part or plan to take part in the upcoming one?
NaNoWriMo (http://www.nanowrimo.org/)
for those who, like me a few hours ago, don't know what I'm talking about, it's basically a challenge to write a novel of +50k words, irrespective of quality.. something that a lot of people seem to have taken part to.. regulated (minimally) by a non profit organisation.

for those who do know and have taken part:
opinions? anecdotes? was it worth it?..was it fun?

Dogmantra
2011-09-15, 08:00 PM
I did it in 2009 and won, did it again last year and dropped out 5000 words in because it came at exactly the wrong time for me. It was definitely worth it. Fantastic fun and incredibly satisfying when I realised I was done. If you don't have too much going on, I would definitely give it a shot come November. I think I'll try again this year. And go for Script Frenzy in April.

Icewalker
2011-09-15, 08:11 PM
Oh, damn, I've meant to do this every time for the last two years, and ended up not because I was so busy both times.

And, this year, November, I'll be taking four science/math classes at UCLA, three online via Stanford, several small physical oriented lessons, running a magazine and writing a comic, and getting my EMT training. Oh and probably spending a long weekend at Desert Bus, and being director of a small LARP organization, but neither of those take a huge time commitment.

So I guess I'll do what I say I'll do and then don't do every year: I'll set myself up to do my own personal NaNoWriMo in another month when I'm doing less things, maybe sometime Winter quarter. Maybe I'll actually do it this time.

Edit: Right. Script Frenzy. That's one I should look into, April is probably a more free month, and I do have a play I've been wanting to write...

Remmirath
2011-09-15, 10:28 PM
I'd been telling myself I was going to do it for several years, but I only actually did it last year, and made it to the goal. I'd say it was worth it; it was fun, and it made me actually write something to the finish (a frequent problem I have is stopping partway through because I get discouraged).

I might do it again this year, depending on how my free time is looking. Classes have been taking up more of my time than I expected, but I will probably give it a try if it looks like I might have time. I have a few other stories knocking around in my head that I'd like to write, and that's probably the only way I'm going to write them.

Ajadea
2011-09-15, 10:32 PM
Given my current boredom, I do intend to attempt NaNoWriMo this year. Hopefully I'll get farther than 15k this time around.

PirateMonk
2011-09-15, 10:37 PM
I got to 50000 last year but still found myself short of finishing my novel, and I wrote about 2000 words in the next ten months. Since I'm busier this year, I think I'll just try to finish it instead of getting another 50000.

Also, this might belong in Arts and Crafts.

HalfTangible
2011-09-15, 10:37 PM
I intend to give it a shot by writing complete bull until a story starts to form from the wreckage that will be my word processor.

Sanguine
2011-09-15, 10:47 PM
Seems interesting. Count me in.

Helanna
2011-09-15, 10:50 PM
I intend to give it a shot by writing complete bull until a story starts to form from the wreckage that will be my word processor.

That's pretty much the definition of NaNoWriMo. :smalltongue:

I've done it every year since 2007, but I probably won't be doing it this year. I lack the motivation and the time - I barely have time for school and work right now, and November is such a busy time at work . . .

Tips for anyone who is doing it: Remember, the goal is not to write a perfect, finished novel. The goal isn't to write a good novel, or even a coherent one. The only goal is to get 50,000 words onto a page, that hopefully will almost resemble a story, kind of. The other 11 months are for editing, but November is for getting you from "having this totally great idea for a novel!" that never gets started, to actually having words on a page.

Also, just have fun with it. There's no point at all in doing it if you're not having fun!

HalfTangible
2011-09-15, 10:52 PM
That's pretty much the definition of NaNoWriMo. :smalltongue:

I've done it every year since 2007, but I probably won't be doing it this year. I lack the motivation and the time - I barely have time for school and work right now, and November is such a busy time at work . . .

Tips for anyone who is doing it: Remember, the goal is not to write a perfect, finished novel. The goal isn't to write a good novel, or even a coherent one. The only goal is to get 50,000 words onto a page, that hopefully will almost resemble a story, kind of. The other 11 months are for editing, but November is for getting you from "having this totally great idea for a novel!" that never gets started, to actually having words on a page.

Also, just have fun with it. There's no point at all in doing it if you're not having fun!

I've actually got part of an outline done... might do that one. Or do it in webcomic format...

Naaaaaaaaaaaaah :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2011-09-15, 10:54 PM
Whenever I see the... uh... "word" NaNoWriMo, it puts this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPG6OQy2iwI&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLA967FB5CC5DBD834) in my head. Jus' sayin'.

dehro
2011-09-16, 02:54 AM
so...it sounds like something I should give a try.. if work allows for enough time.
thing is... for some reason I'm totally not impressed by the word-count..
I'll explain: I've been writing in the last..uh... 5-6 years, mainly "papers" to be used as background material, back history, and general scenario to various RPG settings (in Italy there's a sort of mmorpg variant that is 99% textual and descriptive which is quite unique to our little peninsula..which kinda helps giving the keyboard a good workout).. and have done so more, often than not, making things up as I went, working "on the spot" and then making it coherent and cohesive once I was done... in a continuous outpouring of fantasy and "hey, that's cool and could work".. so inspiration is not a problem.. in fact I've got too many ideas to begin with, a problem all on its own.
I'm also naturally longwinded to the point of boredom (who'da thunk, amirite?)
also, a month or so ago I put on paper a list of characters for the project of novel number x (where x stands for "I've done it more times than I can remember").. characters each with a little description and with a semi-in-depth backstory to the main antagonist.. a few location/plot point descriptions and a rough outline of the what gets the ball rolling.
this "list" alone, according to my word processor is 7000 words long...
I did this over a few lazy hours a night, in about 1-2 weeks.
so... yeah..the word count should not pose that much of a challenge after all..
yet I have a feeling of impending failure like I've had over the last.. decade, every time I went past outlining something and actually trying to get a finished product on paper.
I'm thinking I'll either give up somewhere around word 49.500, or worse, woosh past the 50.000 mark and only have written a few chapters, by no means a finished story (I'm not talking about a non polished product.. I mean reaching a point halfway in the story at best, and having still at least as many chapters to write..which would depress me "target unlocked" notwithstanding.)
I'm trying to decide whether that's what will stop me from completing the challenge, or if it's exactly what I should do to get some real writing done..

also..am I correct, and is it possible to do it in other languages as well? or is this a strictly English-language thing?
I'm tempted to do it in English regardless..even though I'm more proficient in Italian..

oh, look at me, I just wrote 350+ words in 20 minutes..and with one hand in stitches (no, not a laughing hand, it's got stitches around the thumb and it's wrapped in bandages)
meh... I've got emails to write for work

Kaytara
2011-09-16, 04:38 AM
Oh, god, I totally forgot this was coming up.

Well, I'm starting college in a few weeks, so yeah, probably not so much this year.

Asthix
2011-09-16, 02:21 PM
I first participated last year. Hopefully I'll get more than 10k words this year!

bluewind95
2011-09-16, 02:41 PM
I participated last year. And won. I intend to do that again. But I'm participating as a "rebel". That is, I'm not going to start a new story from scratch. I'm going to continue the one I've been at for... 2 years now. This will be the third. I'm doing everything NaNoWriMo-like except for it being a new story.

And while I wait for it to start, I'm practicing, practicing, practicing. I will better my writing. I will make it become publish-worthy someday. Then I'll edit the story properly.

Silviya
2011-09-16, 04:12 PM
I did NaNoWriMo in 2009 and got to 50,000, and again in 2010 and managed to reach 75,000. Deffinetly planning on doing it again this year. I'm thinking that I might bend the rules a bit this year, and finish up the first draft of the novel I'm currently working on in November, and then start (and hopefully finish) the first draft of another novel. I may throw some short stories in there as well (short story words are actually a good deal harder then novel words).
NaNoWriMo works really well with my novel writing process, which is basically write terrible first draft, let it sit for a month or two and think about it some, then spend four or five months writing up a second draft that doesn't suck so much, spend a few more months editing and revising and cutting the second draft. And then it's usually time for NaNoWriMo again.

For those of you new to NaNoWriMo this year, welcome! Also, I have a few tips for you that have worked really well for me in the past:

Bribe yourself. It doesn't have to be a big bribe. Last year, when my goal was 75,000, I bribed myself with hot chocolate. I wouldn't allow myself to have any hot chocolate until I reached 2,000 words for the day. I allowed myself an extra cup if I hit 4,000. Also, this year, since both The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim and Heroes of Might and Magic 6 are coming out around November, I'm planning on using those to bribe myself as well. I'll let myself play one hour of computer games per 1,000 or 1,500 words that I write.

Try to do all the necessary research beforehand. I know you've all probably heard this a ton, but it really does help. Do all your research on white dwarf stars, wormhole theory, and ring worlds before you start writing in November. It will make your life so much easier (I know from experience).

Keep a sane sleep schedule. I sort of became nocturnal by the end of NaNoWriMo last year. Don't do that.

Get writing buddies. It really helps to have others cheering you on and encouraging you. They don't have to live nearby or anything. I have a writing group that's scattered all over the country, and we all encourage each other and help each other during NaNoWriMo. If you don't have a writing group like this, use the playground! Just don't do NaNoWriMo alone.

Don't feel like you've failed or are a bad writer if you don't get to 50,000. Different people write differently. I've been known to write 2,000 words in one hour during NaNoWriMo, but most people can't write that fast, and there's nothing wrong with that. Don't get discouraged if you don't win. And if you're thinking that you won't reach 50,000 words so why bother, you should still try. Even if you only get 10,000 words, 10,000 words is still more than 0 words. You still succeeded, and you still won in a way, even if it wasn't "official." I have a friend who has never managed to get past 30,000 words in NaNoWriMo, and she's tried many years. That's because the way she writes doesn't work for writing really fast. She's one of the best writers I know, and she's had several short stories published and won a big writing competition in 2009. The fact that she can't get 50,000 words in NaNoWriMo does not make her a bad writer, and it doesn't make you a bad writer if you don't reach 50,000.

Good luck to all of you who are going to try NaNoWriMo this year! I can't wait until November. :smallbiggrin:

Weimann
2011-09-16, 04:20 PM
I did NaNoWriMo in 2009 and dropped out after, what 10,000 words? Then in 2010 and managed a grand total of like 500. I'd like to say this was due to an otherwise heavy workload, but really, it was more like 20% that I didn't have a good idea and 80% laziness.

I like the idea of it, I really do. I won't set out to do it again this year, though, unless I have both a solid idea and plenty of spare time.

dehro
2011-09-20, 01:05 PM
so...I'm mentally preparing to take this plunge, provided I don't suddenly find myself overloaded with work or..god forbid, a girlfriend..

the question remains though... does it have to be in English, or can I write in Italian too?

bluewind95
2011-09-20, 01:12 PM
I think you can write in any language.

I'm getting less confident about my writing skills. I'll still participate in NaNoWriMo, but I do wish I were good at this black magic known as writing.

JediSoth
2011-09-20, 02:13 PM
I've taken part in NaNoWriMo four times. In 2007, I wrote a nearly 100,000 word Superhero novel which is in sore need of editing before I publish it. In 2008 & 2009, my efforts were derailed by a death in my family (my wife in 2008, my father in 2009). I actually did get past 50K words in 2009, though I was never really satisfied with the story's progression. In 2010, I completed an 80,000+ word fantasy novel (Wings of Twilight (http://hccummings.wordpress.com)), which I now have had editing several times, and for which I have commissioned cover art. I plan on releasing it on Kindle and other e-readers and in print via CreateSpace by the first of November.

I don't know if I'll participate again this year. I'm currently trying to finish a sequel to my 2010 novel; if I can get it done by November, I'll absolutely throw my hat into the ring again.

It's a good exercise at the very least. One of the hardest parts of writing a novel is to just get the darn thing written down from beginning to end before you go back and start tinkering with it. There's always something that can be re-written, some phrasing which could be better. The good thing about NaNoWriMo is that it encourages you to forget about all that nonsense and just get the darn thing finished before you fix it!

Joran
2011-09-20, 02:29 PM
5th year trying it, never won. It took me forever to write a 2.5K word entry to a short story anthology, so I'm pretty dispirited.

The new wrinkle this year is to knock back a beer every time the productivity goes down.

My liver is going to feel this one.

MlleRouge
2011-09-21, 10:44 AM
I've never been a fan of NaNo, mostly because of experiences with friends. Initially my distaste was for selfish reasons, but nowadays it's a bit more practical.

I have a circle of friends that I've known over the net since I was 13 or so, mostly meeting them on a freeform role playing site. As a young teenager, I would lose them all for a month or two as they feverishly worked on NaNo, never breaking to role play or even chat. One of them even allowed her own site to die because she was working on NaNo.

This is the selfish incident. I resented it because it left me lonely for a while :smallbiggrin: But being well past that now, I still can't help but notice something.

I've never participated, but out of all of us (all of whom are aspiring writers), I'm the only one with a complete manuscript...Or even close to having one. I know one of them has finished her NaNo project before, but never kept it/been interested in polishing it afterwards. So I suppose I'm biased to consider it a waste of time that could be spent actually working on real writing projects.

It's nice to see a couple stories about positive experiences with it, though. I just can't bring myself to do it - every year my friends ask me to join and insist I would do excellently, but I always stick to my guns and continue with my actual projects. Just not for me, I guess.

bluewind95
2011-09-21, 01:47 PM
I've never participated, but out of all of us (all of whom are aspiring writers), I'm the only one with a complete manuscript...Or even close to having one. I know one of them has finished her NaNo project before, but never kept it/been interested in polishing it afterwards. So I suppose I'm biased to consider it a waste of time that could be spent actually working on real writing projects.

It's nice to see a couple stories about positive experiences with it, though. I just can't bring myself to do it - every year my friends ask me to join and insist I would do excellently, but I always stick to my guns and continue with my actual projects. Just not for me, I guess.

Technically, you could join as a rebel and just work on your projects. It's not recommended, but you can do so. That's what I've been doing.

Recaiden
2011-09-22, 08:31 AM
I did this last year, and was just barely successful in meeting the word count. My writing was of course terrible, but I had great fun doing it.

Definitely will again in this 2011, even though I have less time this year.

Bearpunch
2011-09-22, 08:53 AM
I have never heard of this. How is a winner even determined? Is it a race? What are the requirements? How do I enter?

Recaiden
2011-09-22, 09:14 AM
I have never heard of this. How is a winner even determined? Is it a race? What are the requirements? How do I enter?

Everyone who finishes a 50,000+ Word novel in the time limit is a winner, so there are many of them. Like a casual marathon, but of writing.

It is not a race, although finishing early is impressive.

This site (http://www.nanowrimo.org/) is how you enter, and also explains the requirements.

Bearpunch
2011-09-22, 09:35 AM
That sounds doable. Or at least attemptable. I probably wont win, but it will jumpstart me on a project, at least. Are we allowed to start forming ideas before the official starting date?

dehro
2011-09-22, 10:14 AM
the way I understand it, it's generally considered a good idea to have an outline or maybe a few notes ready by the time it begins.
on that score, I've found a nifty free programme that allows me to put down characters, events, items, locations and scenes in some sort of organized manner.. which looks like it might be a great help in keeping track of things.

Bearpunch
2011-09-22, 10:17 AM
what is said program?

dehro
2011-09-22, 10:31 AM
what is said program?

it goes by the simple name of Storybook..and should be the first result listed if you google the name.

Mercenary Pen
2011-09-22, 05:35 PM
Been doing this for the past two years (successful both years, though I did end up dropping past the threshold on both occasions, so I can only claim about 51k words each time)

Last year I did end up scrapping my start 7k words in and redoing my story from scratch, and I still managed to make the 50k words...

Regarding having an outline in advance, I would generally recommend this- the only thing they try to disallow is actually writing the story in advance...

I might take part this year, because I've got the basis of a story lurking in the back of my head, and it feels like one that could be done justice by NaNo- so I'll start work on an outline and see whether that lives up to my expectations- and work from there.

Surfing HalfOrc
2011-09-22, 06:25 PM
I entered and "won" in 2008, then fell on my face in 2009-2010. I am going to try again this year, and have been kicking around ideas in my head ever since. Had a great (in my mind at least) of a Weird World War II novel about U. S. Marines vs. Imperial Japanese Army troops battling it out on the Isle of Dread. M-1 rifles, flame throwers, Nambu machine guns vs. kopru, T-Rexes, and all the wonderful goofiness that was Module X-1!

MlleRouge
2011-09-23, 03:33 PM
Technically, you could join as a rebel and just work on your projects. It's not recommended, but you can do so. That's what I've been doing.

They suggested I do that for the July (I think) session this year, actually. My manuscript was already at 70k, though, so I decided against it.

lesser_minion
2011-09-24, 02:19 PM
I think I might give this a shot, although I doubt I'll actually get anywhere. Although I guess I could try and come up with an outline and a few ideas.

EDIT:

I've thought about it again, and while I've got what might be a concept, I'm going to give Nano itself a miss, especially since:

I've been ruminating on this idea since this time last year.
I have some fragments of a setting, but basically no real ideas for plot or characters.
I'm also not really convinced that the idea is something I can handle with a novel.

In any event, good luck to those of you actually going through with it. Have fun!

Tyndmyr
2011-09-25, 10:31 AM
yeah... so I just found out about this...thing, project, marathon?

it's intriguing, especially because it calls back to how I used to pour words on a page when I was a teenager, as opposed to a more organic/organized approach which btw isn't getting me anywhere (but that's mostly because of work and similar annoyances)...
has any of the forumites taken part or plan to take part in the upcoming one?
NaNoWriMo (http://www.nanowrimo.org/)
for those who, like me a few hours ago, don't know what I'm talking about, it's basically a challenge to write a novel of +50k words, irrespective of quality.. something that a lot of people seem to have taken part to.. regulated (minimally) by a non profit organisation.

for those who do know and have taken part:
opinions? anecdotes? was it worth it?..was it fun?

Hopped into it last year, and got about 10k words in before life crushed it. However, I learned quite a lot from the experience, so I still count that as a win in the long term.

I'd totally be down for participating this year. I'm split between a high fantasy magic theme and a cyberpunk one, though...

Morph Bark
2011-09-25, 11:21 AM
NaNoWriMo is an interesting concept, but I doubt I'll have time for it, just like last time.

MunsterJujus
2011-10-13, 12:34 AM
Slight Necro, but it still smells fresh.....

I'm in a creative writing class at my College and a bunch of people who have done Nanowrimo wanted to do it again this year. They all spoke very highly of it and talked me into joining and organizing a campus group.

The only problem they seemed to have was that it was really hard to do on a student's schedule, especially since its around the time most professors decide to give out their last tests before finals.

For those who voiced interest, here is a link to the website "What is Nanowrimo" page: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/about/whatisnano

dehro
2011-10-17, 02:25 AM
so...I'm not 100% sure I'll actually have the time to give this a serious try, but I'm hoping I will.

from what I get from the website, there is a lot of emphasis on ... mutual support during November, be it through the website's forum or other means, like local groups and such. How does that work exactly, and was it indeed useful?
was the support purely moral in a "sargeant screaming at you to motivate you to complete the crawl over broken glass" kind of way.. or was it sharing the results to get feedback on the contents, style.. rythm of progression and such?

also, if it's really useful to have some sort of feedback/support...
since there seems to be a small number of us forumites who will try it.. and who are also more or less regular on this forum.. what do you all say about using this thread for "support purpose", once this boat sets sail?

Mercenary Pen
2011-10-17, 03:38 AM
so...I'm not 100% sure I'll actually have the time to give this a serious try, but I'm hoping I will.

from what I get from the website, there is a lot of emphasis on ... mutual support during November, be it through the website's forum or other means, like local groups and such. How does that work exactly, and was it indeed useful?
was the support purely moral in a "sargeant screaming at you to motivate you to complete the crawl over broken glass" kind of way.. or was it sharing the results to get feedback on the contents, style.. rythm of progression and such?

since there seems to be a small number of us forumites who will try it.. and who are also more or less regular on this forum.. what do you all say about using this thread for "support purpose", once this boat sets sail?

Well, we've done support work through the annual thread in previous years, so I can't see a particular reason not to do the same this year.

Support here doesn't usually go as far as your Sergeant example- and can be useful for working out how to keep the story going when it seems to have petered out, how to deal with plot holes you've only just noticed, that sort of thing.

Silviya
2011-10-17, 11:43 AM
Generally, the support that I've given/recieved during NaNoWriMo is sharing wordcounts, asking how everyone is doing, encouraging others when thay're having trouble, complaining to each other about our stories, helping people work out plot holes and deal with troublesome characters, and congratulating people for getting lots of words. I've found this sort of encouragment to be incredibly helpful--I didn't know anyone who was doing NaNoWriMo my first year doing it, and it was a lot harder.

Word races are also super fun and productive, I've found, though that may just be my writing group.

-Sentinel-
2011-10-17, 05:24 PM
I have never participated before; either I did not have the time, or I simply did not see the point to wait until November to start something I can do any time of the year.

But this September I took a serious look at their website and community, and it made me want to participate. As a writer, I sorely lack discipline, and a challenge like NaNo should help me in this regard. Plus, it's been a while since I last wrote fiction in my native language (French) and I don't want my skills to go rusty.

I'll be writing a pirate story set in an 18th-century-ish universe where 90% of the world is covered in water. I'm expecting it to be absolutely cliché-ridden and to include just about every pirate trope in the book. But my goal is to have fun, not to be original.

While waiting for November, I'm doing a lot of research about sailing and navigation in the 18th century. It's very interesting.

Alarra
2011-10-21, 11:55 AM
I do this every year and have one the last 3. My writing group and I go out of our way to push ourselves, shooting for 100k. I don't usually make that, but I usually top out around 80k.

I'd totally be down for participating this year. I'm split between a high fantasy magic theme and a cyberpunk one, though...
Maryland is a fantastic state to do this in, I don't know if you've checked into our region on the Nano forums. But we have write-ins somewhere in the area every day. These are fantastic motivators. Two years ago I got 75k without writing a single word at home. There's a kick-off party this Saturday in Columbia and then one next weekend somewhere else...Gaithersburg maybe? Anyway, you should totally come to some events. :smallbiggrin:

since there seems to be a small number of us forumites who will try it.. and who are also more or less regular on this forum.. what do you all say about using this thread for "support purpose", once this boat sets sail? It's amazingly useful. 3 years ago when I started doing Nano in Maryland I went to a lot of write-ins, which were really great and introduced me to my writing group that I meet with every Thursday now. They've now become some of my best friends. I can come away from a write-in having written 4k words sometimes and always hit my daily goal if I go to a write-in. Online write-ins can be really helpful and motivating as well. Word wars are the best way I've found to knock out a lot of words in a short period of time, nothing like a short deadline and a lot of competition to make you push yourself. We've always offered a lot of support in this thread and on the playground as well. A lot of people in previous years have initiated individual challenges with other posters and those can be incredibly motivating.

Silviya
2011-10-21, 04:29 PM
Oh, write-ins, those are probably things that I should try to attend this year. The previous years I've done NaNoWriMo I've been way too shy to, but I think I'd be able to do it this year. They sound like a lot of fun.

Tyndmyr
2011-10-26, 08:03 AM
Maryland is a fantastic state to do this in, I don't know if you've checked into our region on the Nano forums. But we have write-ins somewhere in the area every day. These are fantastic motivators. Two years ago I got 75k without writing a single word at home. There's a kick-off party this Saturday in Columbia and then one next weekend somewhere else...Gaithersburg maybe? Anyway, you should totally come to some events. :smallbiggrin:

Hmm, can't make this saturday, just moved this past sat, and this weekend is halloween party/frantically cleaning to prep for halloween party. Later events, though? Hells yeah. I'll bring one of the lappys and bust it out. Last year, I did a lot of writing in coffee shops, helps to get away from the distractions of home.

Going for an almost pure modern fiction this time around(no more sci fi than in, say, your average james bond flick). Got a pretty solid idea sorted, and I figure with 2k words per day, I should be able to crush it.

dehro
2011-10-26, 12:41 PM
I've got an idea and a few notes for the first couple of chapters/scenes... the main plot is also fleshed out a little.. but there are large chunks of said plot that are hanging kinda loosely together, and I'm not sure what to keep and what to throw away..that is, provided I actually find time to do it all..

my workload has been increased in several orders of magnitude which makes me rather uncertain about finding the energy and motivation to do it in my spare time (being my own boss I cannot afford to mix work-time and spare time for other than the occasional forum browse..or I'll lose all of the focus I really need on the job in this period of the year)

dehro
2011-10-29, 01:50 PM
right..here goes.. I have taken the plunge and registered.. I still have to make up my mind as to in what language to write though...
we'll see what happens in 2 days time, I guess.

Alarra
2011-10-29, 06:52 PM
For the first year ever, I actually have my entire novel outlined and broken into chapters. I'm excited to see if this helps.

dehro
2011-10-29, 07:59 PM
For the first year ever, I actually have my entire novel outlined and broken into chapters. I'm excited to see if this helps.

I've kinda done that for 3 chapters...which are liable to being changed halfway through anyway... so I probably will take it from there and see what happens.

Mercenary Pen
2011-10-30, 04:46 AM

I, on the other hand, barely have half of the basic world-building done ahead of my novel- and I'm not even sure I've got as much as half... (admittedly, this is still more than I had last year)...

dehro
2011-10-30, 06:47 AM
I, on the other hand, barely have half of the basic world-building done ahead of my novel- and I'm not even sure I've got as much as half... (admittedly, this is still more than I had last year)...
I've actually done a bit of that and then taken the conscious decision not to continue... I've put down the basis of a couple of races..but purely on a descriptive level..but that's it..because I know that if I start "world building" I'll never get around doing any real writing.
I've done too much world building for online RPG's not to know that I'd end up completely engossed in it, and loosing sight of the real challenge

Weimann
2011-10-30, 08:00 PM
Good luck to all of you!

As I said before, I'm not going to participate this year (but damn if I'm not tempted; writing is something I'd love to be good at, but I lack the discipline to improve). I'd be interested in seeing what you put out, though; I think those who feel like it should feel free to make threads with their work in. Maybe some light feedback can spark the creative juices.

Felixaar
2011-10-30, 10:17 PM
I'm definitely in, as always. And for all of those of you sitting on the fence, or firmly on the other side of the fence, GET IN ON THIS. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO.

:smallbiggrin:

Sir_Chivalry
2011-10-31, 03:11 PM
I wasn't going to, but a friend of mine jsut discovered it, so to help her along I'm going to take a stab. Might not write 1600+ words a day (I know she won't), but it will be good to have a routine.

Which do you guys think has better potential, a short story about superpowered individuals, or an urban fantasy story?

Alarra
2011-10-31, 03:25 PM
I'm writing urban fantasy.

dehro
2011-10-31, 03:44 PM
I have no idea what kind of fantasy my effort will fall under..I'm guessing sword and sorcery..
I'd say, do what comes natural and what inspires you.

so..as a first timer, I'm just a little giddy..both anxious to start and annoyed by the most likely prospect of dropping out due to work commitments, losing my focus, lack of time or what else have you...

Sir_Chivalry
2011-10-31, 03:48 PM

Wow, just re-checked the definition of urban fantasy, and apparently what I normally write doesn't fit under it. What do you call a fantasy story that takes place entirely within an urban enviroment?

Tyndmyr
2011-10-31, 03:50 PM

I am also doing this...it seems popular these days. Though, mine is light on fantasy.

Honestly, I'd suggest the superpower story idea if you have a good one, Sir_chivalry, just because it strikes me as a more unusual type of tale.

Sanguine
2011-10-31, 04:00 PM
Wow, just re-checked the definition of urban fantasy, and apparently what I normally write doesn't fit under it. What do you call a fantasy story that takes place entirely within an urban enviroment?

Urban Fantasy. The other definition is pants.

I am also writing an Urban Fantasy; I was originally going to write a Spaghetti Western in an Animistic Fantasy World but I'm a horrible procrastinator and failed to do any planing for it. So I'm going with an older idea I had: The Agency for Supernatural Crime.

Edit: At least if I can find a good supernatural critter to use by tomorrow.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-10-31, 04:12 PM
Urban Fantasy. The other definition is pants.

I am also writing an Urban Fantasy; I was originally going to write a Spaghetti Western in an Animistic Fantasy World but I'm a horrible procrastinator and failed to do any planing for it. So I'm going with an older idea I had: The Agency for Supernatural Crime.

Edit: At least if I can find a good supernatural critter to use by tomorrow.

But it still counts if it's not our world, or an alternate reality, but an original fantasy world?

Sanguine
2011-10-31, 04:18 PM
But it still counts if it's not our world, or an alternate reality, but an original fantasy world?

What tech levels are we talking about here? Bronze Age? Middle Ages? Renaissance? Industrial Revolution? Modern?

If it is either of the last two I would say yes. Renaissance is iffy; the first two are a no.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-10-31, 04:24 PM
What tech levels are we talking about here? Bronze Age? Middle Ages? Renaissance? Industrial Revolution? Modern?

If it is either of the last two I would say yes. Renaissance is iffy; the first two are a no.

Of course this is just my opinion.

And you are very welcome to it.

Whatever my writing is, for simplicity's sake I shall continue to call it Urban Fantasy. Though the idea of a Bronze or Iron Age city-centric story hadn't crossed my mind, you have now made me wonder if it is possible. That is for another time though.

Tech level I'd guess would be somewhere along some steam, some magic, and a whole lot of smoke and iron.

Fin
2011-10-31, 05:03 PM
I'll be taking my first shot at NaNo this year and it'll be a Horror story. Hopefully the writing task won't be the thing that gives me nightmares, just the content :smallbiggrin:

Jeepers! It all kicks off tomorrow!!

dehro
2011-10-31, 05:04 PM
Jeepers! It all kicks off tomorrow!!

in 55 minutes for me

Mercenary Pen
2011-10-31, 06:41 PM
Roughly twenty minutes away, and if I get off to a decent start, I'll have a goodly chunk of the day's wordcount completed before I turn in for the night...

Now all I need to do is not start early... easier said than done.

Silviya
2011-10-31, 06:53 PM
Still about seven hours away for me. I'm distracting myself with Halloween stuff so that I don't get tempted to start writing early.

As for genre, Dead Space Gods Novel is dark sci-fi, with a weird mix of hard sci-fi elements and some sort of "magic" things (mainly the aforementioned dead space gods). Other Novel is . . . fantasy on the lower end of the scale, I think.

Dogmantra
2011-10-31, 07:53 PM
I am 1127 words into my novel.

WHOO NANOWRIMO
How I missed thee.

dehro
2011-10-31, 08:55 PM
after 3 hours of mixing word wars with doing entirely different stuff, I'm calling it a day at 2300 words exactly.

tgva8889
2011-10-31, 09:51 PM
1 hour away for me, but I'm probably gonna have a relatively slow start. But I'm super-excited!

RobotPerfomance
2011-10-31, 10:47 PM
I did it in 2009 and 2010 ended up busting both years between 20,000 and 30,000. But they say that the 3rd time is the charm so let's do this again.

Ajadea
2011-10-31, 11:20 PM
3 hours away for me.

Surfing HalfOrc
2011-11-01, 12:28 AM
Already tapping away with my superphone! Not sure if this will work, but once I email it to myself and check a few things I'll decide if I'm going to keep going with this, or bring my netbook to work in my bag.

I'm using a Galaxy Tab, and InkPad just because I like the "legal pad" look. Can anybody recommend a simple and FREE Office type app for the Droid?

Raistlin1040
2011-11-01, 01:31 AM
With 28 minutes before NaNoWriMo starts, I have made the decision to do it again this year. We'll see how this turns out.

Castaras
2011-11-01, 08:00 AM
12:59 on the first day, and I have 1873 words. Let's see if I can keep this speed up... Still got a little more writing in me today. So maybe I can get myself a buffer for when University attacks.

edit: Make that 2358. Now to get on with work rather than writing... damnit. I'm on a roll! And I can write stuff! No writers block! damn.

Sanguine
2011-11-01, 01:04 PM
I'm currently at about 1500 words. If you count my false starts I've written over two-thousand words, but I don't so I haven't.

Edit: Passed the two-thousand mark a little while ago.

Z3ro
2011-11-01, 03:34 PM
Trying it again this year after winning it last year, but I'm going for 100,000 words instead of 50,000. Off to a good start so far at 2,500, but I've got some more writing to do before I'm done today.

Joran
2011-11-01, 04:42 PM
I cheated and started an hour and thirty minutes early. I'll lop that off at the end... unless I need that time.

Screw it, I've been at this for 5 years and never completed it, I need every little advantage that I can get.

http://nanowrimo.org/en/participants/joran

Here's my page in case people want to be writing buddies.

P.S. 1535 words in, only 2.5 hours. This... is a surprisingly sustainable pace and I'm already ahead.

Shyftir
2011-11-01, 04:46 PM
Trying again this year last year I had a death in the family. This year I just have a job. Same plan, I'm gonna rewrite the first chapter.

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-01, 05:21 PM
Approaching the end of day one, and I have 1719 words, and the word count on Open Office agrees with the one on NaNo, which is all to the good.

I've managed 50,000 words the last two years, but I'm not ready to try for 100,000 this year, so I might try for 65,000 words this year.

Sanguine
2011-11-01, 05:35 PM
http://nanowrimo.org/en/participants/joran

Here's my page in case people want to be writing buddies.

I'll think I'll do that.

Here's my page for anyone who wants to be writing buddies with me.

http://nanowrimo.org/en/participants/sanguine21

dehro
2011-11-01, 05:41 PM
20 minutes to midnight of the first day..and I'm at 3727 on my word count.
but today was a holiday, albeit a busy one..so I don't expect to be able to keep this pace.

and me (http://nanowrimo.org/en/participants/dehro)

Qaera
2011-11-01, 08:06 PM
ahhhhhhhh four hours away from missing the first deadline I need to start

~ ♅

Z3ro
2011-11-01, 08:15 PM
Almost forgot, here's mine

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/z3ro

Finished the day at 4704. Not bad.

Ajadea
2011-11-01, 09:52 PM
2,093, plus 404 words of drabbling I was doing to release my writer's block. Good start.

Joran
2011-11-01, 10:16 PM
2,093, plus 404 words of drabbling I was doing to release my writer's block. Good start.

Drabbling? I've yet to have to resort to my writer's block destroyer: beer.

Ajadea
2011-11-01, 10:32 PM
I got stuck. I'm pretty much unstuck now: 2,438 and counting!

tgva8889
2011-11-01, 10:39 PM
1700 exactly! And somehow I am also going to ace all my classes this month!

(oh god how am I going to pull this off)

Alarra
2011-11-01, 11:20 PM
Ending today at 2,707, which I think is not bad at all considering that I spent all morning doing paperwork, had to go into work for the afternoon, and had a raid tonight. Not quite to my goal if I plan to get to 100k this month, but I'll catch up on a night I actually go to a write-in.

Forbiddenwar
2011-11-02, 12:13 AM
I cheated and started an hour and thirty minutes early. I'll lop that off at the end... unless I need that time.

I did the same. But I figure it should count anyway. 50,000 words 1 month. Some months are 31 days. Why can't it be 50,000 words and 31 days?:smallbiggrin:
Seriously, I plan to finish early.

Here is more profile: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/forbiddenwar45
In 2009 I finished . . . In February 2010. Well, I still finished.
In 2010, Mulligan year. Stress, nervous breakdowns, etc. It happens.
In 2011, I hope to hit a minimum of 3,000 words a night.
I'm at 5,500 now.

Raistlin1040
2011-11-02, 01:43 AM
Well I made no progress writing today, but I did name my main characters, who are two androids created to play soccer in the future. Jet(t) and Jasper/Jazz.

Tyndmyr
2011-11-02, 07:20 AM
Trying it again this year after winning it last year, but I'm going for 100,000 words instead of 50,000. Off to a good start so far at 2,500, but I've got some more writing to do before I'm done today.

Ambitious! Best of luck.

The first paragraph took me forever. I edited to death, wobbled in indecision, etc. Once I got past it though, all was smooth. 636 words for day one. Now on day two, and other than hitting the gym, my post-work schedule is clean. I plan to crush me a few thousand words today.

Starting and picking names, these are my weaknesses.

Oh, also, http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/Tyndmyr

Knaight
2011-11-02, 07:28 AM
Though the idea of a Bronze or Iron Age city-centric story hadn't crossed my mind, you have now made me wonder if it is possible. That is for another time though.

Its possible. The story I did last year was basically Iron Age, though the core nature of what it was kind of prevents that form being highly important.

dehro
2011-11-02, 11:15 AM
Ambitious! Best of luck.

Oh, also, http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/Tyndmyr

why is it every time I click this link I'm brought to the NaNo homepage instead? same happens when I click on your profile through my buddy list.

Tyndmyr
2011-11-02, 11:31 AM
That's...really weird. Oh well, I'll just add everyone I see here.

Alarra
2011-11-02, 11:51 AM
In that case, here's me: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/alarra

Delusion
2011-11-02, 12:18 PM
Always best way to boos my inferiority complexes.

Reading how well everyone else is doing,w hen I barely got to 1688 after 5 hours of writing xD

Joran
2011-11-02, 12:24 PM

Reading how well everyone else is doing,w hen I barely got to 1688 after 5 hours of writing xD

Clearly, you're caring too much about it ;) To be honest, I've never gotten past 5K despite promising myself every year for the last 6 years to do it.

I wonder if it's a good idea to use various tricks to pad the word count. For instance, I wanted to use the word "lawyers". Instead, I used "lawyers and people vaguely familiar with the legal process from innumerable viewings of Law and Order episodes and can pretend to be lawyers at parties of non-lawyers" and suddenly had 27 words where I used to have 1.

It created a massive run-on sentence, but what the heck, I'm going to get to 50K words by hook or by crook. I guess more importantly, it was a really fun phrase to write.

P.S. It also really helps that I'm writing a very snarky book and when I write snarkily, I tend to embellish or otherwise pad my sentence. My problem with previous years was trying to tackle a novel that required a lot of research or thought.

Tyndmyr
2011-11-02, 02:03 PM

*shrug* You hit your goal for the day. That's the path to winning. And also, you're ahead of me.

Delusion
2011-11-02, 02:21 PM
Thanks for reassurance ^^

Here is me btw http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/kirjotusvihe/novels/sailor-s-palace-subject-to-change

Sanguine
2011-11-02, 03:04 PM

If it makes you feel better I've only written slightly more than a hundred words today. It's been busy.

Elvaris
2011-11-02, 03:12 PM
Current word count: 41.

I'm on fire.

My profile: here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/the-mad-egyptian).

Dogmantra
2011-11-02, 03:30 PM
P.S. It also really helps that I'm writing a very snarky book and when I write snarkily, I tend to embellish or otherwise pad my sentence. My problem with previous years was trying to tackle a novel that required a lot of research or thought.

I'm writing first person from the perspective of someone who's more than a little bit similar to myself. Unfortunately, my story's in the past tense and I find it so hard to not slip into the present because of the nature of my voice. On the plus side, J, my character, can go off onto little tangents which are WONDERFUL for padding my count. Like how I managed to get almost eighty words of response to the simple idea of "not being thirsty is awesome".

Z3ro
2011-11-02, 03:37 PM
Two days down, 7,908 word written. On pace so far.

Delusion
2011-11-02, 05:34 PM
Phew just barely on schedule.

3340 words written.

Sanguine
2011-11-02, 05:51 PM
My word count for the day so far? About 550.

tgva8889
2011-11-02, 05:57 PM
Where is the NaNoWriMo word counter? I looked last night and couldn't find it, so I've just been using the Microsoft Word one.

Delusion
2011-11-02, 06:00 PM
Not sure, but I think NaNoWrimo's opens on 25th?

Joran
2011-11-02, 06:01 PM
Where is the NaNoWriMo word counter? I looked last night and couldn't find it, so I've just been using the Microsoft Word one.

In Edit Novel, right below the word counter, there's a link that says "I'm ready to validate my novel". That's updated my word count and has worked fine so far.

tgva8889
2011-11-02, 06:15 PM
Cool, thank you! Turns out I have an extra word in that counter, I guess it counts "************" as a word.

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-02, 06:26 PM
Currently running at 3642 words, so I've barely started to pull ahead of NaNo's quota, but haven't yet reached the total that'll put me on track for 65k words (by my reckoning, day 2 requires at least 4,333 words as an average with that quota). If all else fails, I've got a week off from work towards the end of the month that'll give me extra time to play catch up, so as long as I can keep within a stone's throw of my target up until then, I should be able to pull this off.

Sanguine
2011-11-02, 06:52 PM
I think I might be writing the strangest scene in the history of ever.

A man in blue jeans and a t-shirt is sitting regally upon an ornate throne with two goth teens to either side of him. With them is a woman in ancient greek clothing with a golden circlet, a man in a millitary dress uniform, a small red headed boy in the clothes of a medieval farmer playing a harp, and a coyote.

Edit: There are also three others but I don't know what they look like yet.

dehro
2011-11-02, 09:32 PM
I've had a busy day and have managed 6145. having finished after midnight however, I'm not all that much above par.

Sanguine
2011-11-02, 09:43 PM
I'm only four hundred words away from my daily goal of 2000, however there's only an hour and a half left before midnight.

Edit: Just finished my 2000 words. And right on a chapter break too. Well I haven't been breaking it up in to chapters but when I do it will totally be one.

tgva8889
2011-11-02, 10:33 PM
1704 words today! Barely finished in time, too. 30 minutes left in the day. Ugh, I need sleep.

Alarra
2011-11-02, 11:41 PM
4437 words today, giving me a total so far of 7,144

Ajadea
2011-11-03, 01:20 AM
2,097 today. Not as good as yesterday, but still enough.

TheSummoner
2011-11-03, 01:47 AM
I got a late start, so I'm only up to 499 words (total).

I think the biggest thing slowing me down right now is that the prologue is entirely irrelevent other than setting up the world a little. Makes it a bit difficult to write. After that, I'm hoping things will pick up.

AngelSword
2011-11-03, 01:54 AM
I've been meaning to do it for the past few years, but I never really had the time.

This year, though, I'm making it happen! I just started, and am at 170 words.

Castaras
2011-11-03, 05:02 AM
At half 9 last night I was at 5102 words. I think it helps that I know someone IRL now who's also doing NaNo, so I'm just trying to make sure I'm ahead of him and doing better than him, seeing as last year he was annoyed at aiming for 100,000 and getting 99,500. :smallamused:

Sanguine
2011-11-03, 05:02 PM
I think I might be writing the strangest scene in the history of ever.

A man in blue jeans and a t-shirt is sitting regally upon an ornate throne with two goth teens to either side of him. With them is a woman in ancient greek clothing with a golden circlet, a man in a millitary dress uniform, a small red headed boy in the clothes of a medieval farmer playing a harp, and a coyote.

Edit: There are also three others but I don't know what they look like yet.

I think I might be writing a scene even weirder than this one now. The guy sitting on the throne, he's my main character, is now riding a sixty foot long. You know what I'll just quote the actual text.

So anyway that’s how I ended up on the back of a sixty foot long mechanical dragon with canons firing at me from below and winged lionmen attacking from above with laser swords and plasma rifles.

I love my imagination.

LeSwordfish
2011-11-03, 05:10 PM
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/leswordfish

Three days in, just over 2000 words, a book based on one of the rules from the Evil Overlord list and the idea it gave me. You've probably never heard of Mil Millington, but it's his style i'm aping off, while making it kinda Austin Powers-y.

I'd quite like to hit 30,000 words total at the end of the month- considering how little free time i have i think that'd be quite an acheivement myself, even if i don't win.

Doing a lot of "Sprints" at the moment. Good imagination triggers. Ended up with this from the dialouge one:
"That still plays out as a better chance of success than this “Your Way” we're talking about, which based on observation could be anything from a daring, fruitless attempt to break established limits, or hitting your forehead hard against the keyboard several times and attempting to input the outcome into a programming language.” All through this she was frantically typing. “While science offers an answer as to an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters, it remains remarkably silent as to the topic of a distinctly sub-infinite number of simians, with a distinctly sub-infinite amount of time and frankly, intelligence any self-regarding monkey would quietly excuse itself from the presence of.”

dehro
2011-11-03, 06:05 PM
I think I might be writing a scene even weirder than this one now. The guy sitting on the throne, he's my main character, is now riding a sixty foot long. You know what I'll just quote the actual text.

I love my imagination.

sounds a lot like a baron of munchaussen type of character, lol
midnight just hit me at 9151..I was shooting for 10k

Dogmantra
2011-11-03, 06:24 PM
Word grammar checker too pro:
"So, tell me about yourself, I understand you're new around these parts."
DID YOU MEAN
"I understand your new around these parts."

Yes Word, yes I did. Now run along and play. "New" is a noun in my book, so nice of you to guess that.

Sanguine
2011-11-03, 07:44 PM
Well today wasn't busy but my little sister was a brat so I only got a thousand words written instead of my goal of 2000. Tomorrow however will be busy, so I probably won't be able to make it up then, I might even end up further behind.

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-03, 08:05 PM
I'm falling behind a little, but I have a little better idea of where the next few chapters will be going than I did before I went to work, so hopefully I'll recover.

Also, I have a dome city due for an imminent invasion by up to 30k power armoured infantry, and the order has been given to make the invaders pay to the last man.

tgva8889
2011-11-03, 09:49 PM
1903 words today. Trying to get a little ahead in case I decide to pull back in the next few days.

RobotPerfomance
2011-11-03, 10:53 PM
Well I had a 0 word start day, I have pulled two on target days in a row. Not bad over all. Glad to hear other people were having a better opener than me

Alarra
2011-11-03, 11:18 PM
Doing really well this year, above my targets. At the end of day 3 I'm ending with 11,220 words. which is about 1200 more than I need to stay on track for 100k, which is good, because I tend to write a lot less on the weekend.

Ajadea
2011-11-04, 01:31 AM
2,349 today. I am satisfied with my work.

TheSummoner
2011-11-04, 02:49 AM
TheSummoner Word Count

{table]Day|Today|Total
Nov. 1|0|0
Nov. 2|499|499
Nov. 3|612|1,111[/table]

I feel so very behind...

Tyndmyr
2011-11-04, 06:30 AM
Yeah, I'm still at 1750 due to a busy yesterday. Weekend should hopefully enable me to catch up, though.

I probably shouldn't have picked locations that required research, in retrospect. However, I'm *very* happy with the quality of the writing done so far.

dehro
2011-11-04, 11:20 AM
TheSummoner Word Count

{table]Day|Today|Total
Nov. 1|0|0
Nov. 2|499|499
Nov. 3|612|1,111[/table]

I feel so very behind...

that's what you get if you stop writing to make fancy tables:smallbiggrin:

LeSwordfish
2011-11-04, 12:16 PM
1043 more words today. total 3160. I'm behind, but not as much as i thought.

tgva8889
2011-11-04, 10:47 PM
1698 words! Still on track. Whew. Of course, my plot is literally going no where, but who cares, words!

Sanguine
2011-11-04, 11:07 PM
0 Words! I want to cry.

Ajadea
2011-11-04, 11:14 PM
What happened?! :smalleek:

Sanguine
2011-11-04, 11:20 PM
What happened?! :smalleek:

I had to spend all day babysitting my little sister and her friends. Which I'm perfectly fine with. But the lack of writing it caused is depressing.

Ajadea
2011-11-04, 11:23 PM
How much do you think you can catch up with? If your average was high enough before, missing one day can still leave you above the 1667 words/day average line, which means you're still on track, if a bit delayed.

Or we could just have a Word War. Whatever floats your boat.

Sanguine
2011-11-04, 11:36 PM
How much do you think you can catch up with? If your average was high enough before, missing one day can still leave you above the 1667 words/day average line, which means you're still on track, if a bit delayed.

Or we could just have a Word War. Whatever floats your boat.

I have 5000 words: two thousand each of the first two days and 1000 yesterday.

What's a Word War?

Ajadea
2011-11-04, 11:50 PM
A group of people agree to write on their NaNo novels for a specific amount of time (15-30 minutes seems most common). Whoever has the most words at the end of the time period wins.

Sanguine
2011-11-04, 11:57 PM
A group of people agree to write on their NaNo novels for a specific amount of time (15-30 minutes seems most common). Whoever has the most words at the end of the time period wins.

This Word War business sounds fun.

Ajadea
2011-11-05, 12:06 AM
Well, I have no clue where you live, but it's about XX:06 right now pretty much wherever you are, so how about we do a 15 minute word war starting at XX:15 and ending at XX:30 (XX standing in for whatever hour it is on your end)?

Sanguine
2011-11-05, 12:10 AM
Well, I have no clue where you live, but it's about XX:06 right now pretty much wherever you are, so how about we do a 15 minute word war starting at XX:15 and ending at XX:30 (XX standing in for whatever hour it is on your end)?

Sounds good.

Ajadea
2011-11-05, 12:32 AM
295! It's not my best writing, but that's nearly 300 words closer to my per-day goal. Progress accomplished.

Sanguine
2011-11-05, 12:33 AM
295! It's not my best writing, but that's nearly 300 words closer to my per-day goal. Progress accomplished.

401. That felt really good and I had no idea I could cram out words that fast.

Ajadea
2011-11-05, 12:35 AM
Well, now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

Sanguine
2011-11-05, 12:38 AM
Well, now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

I was going to post the white text but you beat me to it. I will content my self with this.

Go Joe!

TheSummoner
2011-11-05, 01:06 AM
Sanguine, you've got nothing to worry about. You're not as far behind as some of us are, so you should have no trouble catching up.

TheSummoner Word Count

{table]Day|Today|Total
Nov. 1|0|0
Nov. 2|499|499
Nov. 3|612|1,111[/table]

I feel so very behind...

that's what you get if you stop writing to make fancy tables:smallbiggrin:

I know! I could've pumped out two more sentences in the time it took me to throw that table together!

Today was a busy day for me... Went out to lunch with my family and was out most of the day after that. Despite this, it has also been a more productive day than my last two and I'm not finished for the night yet (for the sake of convenience, I'm dividing up my days based on when I wake and sleep, not the actual day. It's almost 1 am here, but I'm still counting today as the 4th). I'm currently at 1,759 words and I'm finally reaching a more interesting part. The prologue is almost done (I'll probably pump a few more details in later to pad it out a bit more since it seems awefully short), and things are starting to get a bit more interesting.

Here's a passage if anyone is interested.
The voices had become quiet again. That was more worrying than when they had been talking. Orrin kept crawling until he was next to the granary. If he reached out, he could touch one of the corner staddle stones. From where he lay, he could see nothing. Though the granary was elevated, the grass on the other side was too thick for him to see through. He would have to get closer. He made his way around the side of the storehouse.

They had not noticed him. As he had thought, there were two of them. Orrin could not see the first very well. He could only see the man’s back and his features were hidden by a hooded leather cloak. The second wasn’t even a man. Orrin wasn't sure what it was. The creature was enormous. Eight feet tall? Nine feet? More? He couldn’t tell. Maybe it was just his perspective making the thing look taller. Regardless of how tall it stood, the thing was certainly bloated. Its body was covered in rolls of fat with a smooth, round head sitting on top. It had beady black eyes and an enormous maw filled with sharpened teeth. Was this thing an ogre? It was certainly large enough to match what he had been told about them, but it didn’t seem right. This creature had extra mouths filled with the same sharpened teeth among the rolls of fat on its stomach. One of its arms ended in a clawed hand where the other formed a large hook after the elbow. In the stories Orrin had heard, ogres never had skin the color of dried blood. He didn’t know what he was looking at.

Comments, criticisms, and jokes about my parentage are welcome!

Sanguine
2011-11-05, 01:23 AM
Sanguine, you've got nothing to worry about. You're not as far behind as some of us are, so you should have no trouble catching up.

I know. But well it is my first NaNo and I want to do good. However I'm feeling good now. Between the Word War and the little pep talk, that I assume everyone got in their NaNo mail, my spirits have been raised to the point that I think I might actually be able to make up my deficit tomorrow.

Here's a passage if anyone is interested.
The voices had become quiet again. That was more worrying than when they had been talking. Orrin kept crawling until he was next to the granary. If he reached out, he could touch one of the corner staddle stones. From where he lay, he could see nothing. Though the granary was elevated, the grass on the other side was too thick for him to see through. He would have to get closer. He made his way around the side of the storehouse.

They had not noticed him. As he had thought, there were two of them. Orrin could not see the first very well. He could only see the man’s back and his features were hidden by a hooded leather cloak. The second wasn’t even a man. Orrin wasn't sure what it was. The creature was enormous. Eight feet tall? Nine feet? More? He couldn’t tell. Maybe it was just his perspective making the thing look taller. Regardless of how tall it stood, the thing was certainly bloated. Its body was covered in rolls of fat with a smooth, round head sitting on top. It had beady black eyes and an enormous maw filled with sharpened teeth. Was this thing an ogre? It was certainly large enough to match what he had been told about them, but it didn’t seem right. This creature had extra mouths filled with the same sharpened teeth among the rolls of fat on its stomach. One of its arms ended in a clawed hand where the other formed a large hook after the elbow. In the stories Orrin had heard, ogres never had skin the color of dried blood. He didn’t know what he was looking at.

Comments, criticisms, and jokes about my parentage are welcome!

Wow that is really good.

Here's an excerpt from mine as well.

So anyway that’s how I ended up on the back of a sixty foot long mechanical dragon with canons firing at me from below and winged lionmen attacking from above with laser swords and plasma rifles. Azrael informs me that the last line may have confused you mortal readers. Allow me to elaborate. I believe I have brought up a few times that gods can make their own dimensions. These dimensions can be whatever the god wants. No matter how strange that might be. This is not one of those dimensions. This dimension, like the one earth resides in, is one of the Infinite Realms of Creation. That is to say one of the dimensions that dates back to the moment of Creation. The name is somewhat of a misnomer as we don’t know for sure that they are infinite. Just that in all the history of existence itself we haven’t run out of new ones to discover. It’s also quite possible that realms we classify as such don’t actually date back to the Creation; they could merely be the constructs of gods we aren’t familiar with yet. After all there was that fellow some two-thousand years ago in the middle-east. I can’t remember his name but there was some nasty business with a cross if I recall. Anyway we’ve only been aware of him for a mere two thousand years and he refuses to tell anyone where he came from so it’s quite possible that there are yet more gods that we have yet to cross paths with.

I think I may have drifted into a digression. Sorry about that. My point was that just because something dates back to the Creation doesn’t mean it can’t be weird. Look at your realm, there’s more empty space than anything else. Then there are the dinosaurs who communicate solely through poetry and the molemen.

Wait, I was supposed to be explaining why I was riding on a sixty foot long mechanical dragon not explaining the nature of the multiverse. Right, well I’m here to meet up with one of my daughter’s suitors. Get a feel for him and all that. The suitor in question is Gaius Ledaal bastard son of Hephaestus and the creator of the mechanical dragon. Apparently his home is in the middle of a warzone.

Yes that is an extended version of something I already posted in this thread, thank you for noticing.

Like TheSummoner comments, criticisms, and jokes about my parentage are welcome. Well not so much that last one.

tgva8889
2011-11-05, 01:32 AM
Now inspired to rewrite my novel to make it suck less.

Alarra
2011-11-05, 02:31 AM
I didn't write at all today (or yesterday rather, since it's now 3:30am), but I'm enough ahead of my goal, I think, that I think it'll be okay and I can catch up again tomorrow.

TheSummoner
2011-11-05, 02:48 AM
2:48 am. I'm done for today. I need sleep.

TheSummoner Word Count

{table]Day|Today|Total|Goal|Status
Nov. 1|0|0|1,667|-1,667
Nov. 2|499|499|3,334|-2,835
Nov. 3|612|1,111|5,000|-3,889
Nov. 4|798|1,909|6,667|-4,758[/table]

Was a busy day, so I can be happy with 798. Falling farther behind where I need to be each day, but I still plan to keep going.

bladescape
2011-11-05, 04:25 AM
Well, only just noticed this thread. WraithWind (http://nanowrimo.org/en/participants/wraithwind) for anyone that wants to friend me.

Reached 8500 today, and I've still got my evening sprints to go. I'll likely hit 10k at least tonight, which will hopefully give me a buffer for the later weeks that I won't be active for...

dehro
2011-11-05, 04:59 AM
reached 10k the day before yesterday, so I took yesterday off from the writing craze...and am still 1 day ahead
yes, wordwars are definitely the way to go to boost numbers. I do think it's detrimental to the quality, but that's beside the point, as November is for numbers and putting words down, December is for rewrites, finetuning, editing etc etc. that said, my plan is to do word wars to get to the 50k target and then see how I'll keep going from there.
I've made a few calculations and since I reached 10k in a (relatively short) chapter and part of the second...I think I'll reach 50k with my 5th or 6th chapter..by which time the main quest/event plot will just about have started.
oy vey.. it's going to take me a lifetime of NaNos to get to the end of this tale :smalleek::smalleek:

well..I better make the most of this rainy weekend
...I must learn how to make the fancy tables

Delusion
2011-11-05, 06:27 AM
I'm at around 5k words myself.

So definately falling behind.

I would disappointed, if I wasn't positively surprised by the quality. Its not amazing, but its readable IMO.:smallwink:

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-05, 07:53 AM
well..I better make the most of this rainy weekend
...I must learn how to make the fancy tables

First lesson, selecting your wood:

Now, for making fancy tables, you need a variety of wood whose quality matches that of the table you are intending to make, meaning that plywood and any density of fibreboard (e.g. LDF, MDF, etc.) are inherently unsuitable, and at the same time, you'll need to practice your skills with less expensive materials before moving on to anything particularly expensive, so probably not a good idea to start with mahogany.:smallbiggrin:

Alternatively, for internet tables, you can quote people's posts to see how they made them- for example in the PbP Yugioh threads we run on these forums, we represent each players playing area with a set up like this:

{table=head]1|2|3|4|5
||||
||||[/table]

filling the cards on the field into the blank rows and columns as required, for example:

{table=head]1|2|3|4|5
|DM|||
NSC||WMC||[/table]
DM= Dark Magician (ATK: 2500, DEF: 2000)
NSC= Nightmare's Steel Cage (1 turn passed)
WMC= Wave Motion Cannon (3 counters)

-Sentinel-
2011-11-05, 08:31 AM
2927 words over here... I'm falling behind, but I aim to write at least 3000 words tomorrow.

I started writing my story in French, my native language... and then realized my French prose had gone rusty due to several years of reading and writing fiction only in English. So I had to start over in English. :smalltongue:

One of these days I'll have to practice my French writing again, but a 50,000 word marathon may not be the best time.

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-05, 10:59 AM
One of these days I'll have to practice my French writing again, but a 50,000 word marathon may not be the best time.

Yeah, not the greatest idea there. Probably best to get yourself back to reading in French again first, because that'll probably do wonders for writing in French once you decide to make that transition.

Zorg
2011-11-05, 11:09 AM
I'm not technically taking part in NaNoWriMo - I've started writing something beforehand - but it'll be a good way to force myself to keep going, so I'll pop in here and keep count with everyone else.

Was struggling with writers block for the scene I was on at 7,100 words, but cracked it and am now at 8,130. Not the best, but considering I've been up for 22 hours right now, not too shabby.

Z3ro
2011-11-05, 02:34 PM
Argh...stupid work prevented me from writing yesterday. Now I need to do 6,000 words today to stay on pace. 3,000 down, 3,000 to go.

dehro
2011-11-05, 05:37 PM
I'm not technically taking part in NaNoWriMo - I've started writing something beforehand - but it'll be a good way to force myself to keep going, so I'll pop in here and keep count with everyone else.

Was struggling with writers block for the scene I was on at 7,100 words, but cracked it and am now at 8,130. Not the best, but considering I've been up for 22 hours right now, not too shabby.

I'm told that makes a Rebel out of you

tgva8889
2011-11-05, 10:27 PM
1,892 words today. I think I'm getting more into writing for my main character. I do worry that so far the plot has literally traveled no where at all. I hope, at least, that it provides me with an interesting place to go.

Ajadea
2011-11-05, 10:42 PM
2,032 words today and still going strong. I am incredibly happy about this. On the other side, my 'novel' is incredibly disjointed right now and I need to join together the segments I've written. On a third hand, this means even more words!

Sanguine
2011-11-05, 10:47 PM
2000 words today. I'm still behind my goal but at least I haven't fallen any further behind today.

dehro
2011-11-06, 03:02 AM
informative stuff

lol... tables

and also, you're a gent.. thanks for the info (I had actually thought about the quoting bit...wouldn't be the first time I learn IT stuff that way either)..

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-06, 03:15 AM
lol... tables

and also, you're a gent.. thanks for the info (I had actually thought about the quoting bit...wouldn't be the first time I learn IT stuff that way either)..

You're most welcome, but I was in something of a whimsical mood at the time, hence the stuff with wood for real tables.

TheSummoner
2011-11-06, 03:33 AM
TheSummoner Word Count

{table=head]Day|Today|Total|Goal|Status
Nov. 1|0|0|1,667|-1,667
Nov. 4|798|1,909|6,667|-4,758
Nov. 5|879|2,788|8,334|-5,556[/table]

So... On the plus side, I'm pumping out more and more words each day. On the minus, I'm still not reaching the average I need to hit for the 50,000.

I suppose if I make it to 25,000 that's not bad for a first attempt. And all the revisions I keep doing can't be helping things...

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-06, 03:51 AM
So... On the plus side, I'm pumping out more and more words each day. On the minus, I'm still not reaching the average I need to hit for the 50,000.

I suppose if I make it to 25,000 that's not bad for a first attempt. And all the revisions I keep doing can't be helping things...

Revisions are for December, keep writing.

AngelSword
2011-11-06, 05:17 AM
TheSummoner Word Count

Nov. 1|0|0|1,667|-1,667
Nov. 5|879|2,788|8,334|-5,556[/table]

I was told by Mike Stackpole (http://www.stormwolf.com/) that you should, "Write first, edit later." Something I'm having trouble with myself.

Dragonus45
2011-11-06, 09:38 AM
Right now im at roughly 4000 words and i seem to have just frozen, i think i should have thought my idea out before starting to write. Anyone have some advice for the writers block.

LeSwordfish
2011-11-06, 11:42 AM
Either follow a few "Word Sprints" on twitter- http://twitter.com/#!/NaNoWordSprints- or take Raymond Chandler's advice, and have a man burst through the door with a gun in his hands.

Qaera
2011-11-06, 12:37 PM
Alright, so I had inspiration today so I'm scrapping what I have so far and beginning anew! That will totally work out!

~ ♅

Ajadea
2011-11-06, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I'm not even bothering to write in order- I write the scene that strikes my fancy, then force it into roughly chronological order and hammer out a paragraph to make it stick with the rest of the story. There will be loads of continuity errors and a decent amount of repetition (due to the fact I have already found myself introducing a character twice by accident). I'll fix that in December.

Alarra
2011-11-06, 12:46 PM
Don't scrap what you've already written, just start a new document, the words you've already written are still new words done this month and you should count them, even if they don't end up being part of your final work.

Zorg
2011-11-06, 01:37 PM
I'm told that makes a Rebel out of you

Yay? :smallconfused:

-

9,206 today.
Very happy with what's written so far - it's a rather depressing read sure, but a well written depressing read :smallwink:

Maxios
2011-11-06, 02:38 PM
What happens if I manage to create a full novel? Do I get some sort of reward?

Dogmantra
2011-11-06, 03:02 PM
What happens if I manage to create a full novel? Do I get some sort of reward?

In '09, at least, for winning (i.e. 50k regardless of how far you were with the actual novel) you got a code which you could use to get a free copy of your novel printed, bound and delivered to you, provided you used it before the following June.

Maxios
2011-11-06, 03:37 PM
In '09, at least, for winning (i.e. 50k regardless of how far you were with the actual novel) you got a code which you could use to get a free copy of your novel printed, bound and delivered to you, provided you used it before the following June.

Wow. Hopefully that comes back this year, so that way I can win and leave it lying around. That way, when people come over and look at it, I can tell them it's a book I wrote :smalltongue:.

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-06, 06:09 PM
Hooray, finally starting to pull ahead of the bare minimum word count- hopefully week two will be when I really start to open up the throttle. Currently at 10,708 words, but I've got almost an hour to go before midnight, so I'll see if I can't get past 11,000 words.

dehro
2011-11-06, 06:29 PM
Nov. 1|2,300|2,300|1,667|+633
Nov. 2|1,427|3,727|3,334|+393
Nov. 3|3,903|7,630|5,000|+2,630
Nov. 4|2,428|10,058|6,667|+3,391
Nov. 5|1,390|11,448|8,334|+3,114
Nov. 6|5,784|17,232|10,000|+7,232[/table]

all in all I'm not doing too badly for a rookie. However, I do fear that the quality is as much below par as I'm above the target in quantity.

Alarra
2011-11-06, 11:08 PM

Yes. This is something they do every year. Someone mentioned that you can get 5 copies this year, but I have no idea where they heard that, as I'm pretty sure it's just the one, but I've been meaning to look into it.

TheSummoner
2011-11-07, 03:01 AM
I was told by Mike Stackpole (http://www.stormwolf.com/) that you should, "Write first, edit later." Something I'm having trouble with myself.

Seems like good advice. If only I had the focus to follow it...

Nov. 1|0|0|1,667|-1,667
Nov. 5|879|2,788|8,334|-5,556
Nov. 6|232|3,020|10,000|-6,980
[/table]

Today was a very bad day for me. Busy again... I really don't have the time for this... I'm planning on seeing it through to the end of the month, but I really doubt I'm going to reach the 50,000. It slips further away every day.

I have the prologue and the first chapter more or less done. I say more or less because they both tell the part of the story they need to tell, but both seem incredibly short. Maybe it's due to lack of dialogue... Maybe I could re-write it a bit to give them something relavent to talk about... Maybe I could describe things in a bit more detail... I don't know.

I'm also not sure exactly where to go next. I know what needs to happen later down the line, but right now... Well, it seems that there needs to be something between now and then, but I don't know what.

dehro
2011-11-07, 03:34 AM
I have the opposite problem of having to rein in my hyperactive fantasy which would lead me in about 5 different directions at any one time, and trying to stick to the main plot...kinda hard to do when your main plot is "big" enough to cover several volumes of novel.

I'm finding this (http://www.novelist.ch/joomla/)to be a great help in "organizing" my novel

does anyone know if they do this whole printing your own novel thing even when you have reached the 50k but you in fact have not finished the novel? and what about if you have written more than 50k? does the budget cover printing larger volumes?
also, more relevant, do they do this also for european writers?

tgva8889
2011-11-07, 03:51 AM
Just so everyone knows, I'm at 12000 words and the first day of my novel isn't even over. I haven't even gotten to a scene of any worthwhile merit yet.

Castaras
2011-11-07, 03:58 AM
I unfortunately have managed to get behind after 0 words this weekend (hectic but awesome weekend of show fightingy goodness, fireworks and drinking games... :smalltongue:). So today in the, oo...5ish hours free I've got, I'm going to catch up. I was already ahead on Friday, so shouldn't be too difficult.

And I need to be doing a high wordcount by this evening, 'cos I need to be able to tell the other guy in my rolegaming club that's doing NaNo that I'm doing better than him. :smallbiggrin:

Dogmantra
2011-11-07, 08:22 AM
behind
I am every behind so far behind why do I only have 5.5k what is this

write me, write more please okay

Qaera
2011-11-07, 09:05 AM
I am 288 words in! Let's do this.

~ ♅

Zorg
2011-11-07, 12:48 PM
11,584 at end or writing today.
Wanted to keep going but can't focus anymore. Stupid need to sleep before going to work.

LeSwordfish
2011-11-08, 02:52 AM
Wrote 500 yesterday, and none over the weekend. Rubbish. I'm kinda liking the quality, although if there's one thing i'm terrible at it's objective assessment of my own work.

Sample in spoilers.

Only natural, thought the Professor, watching her muttering to Sophie as they sat on the railings around the top of his new laboratory. Any child that'd been stolen- rescued, rescued,- like that would have problems. And at least she spoke to Sophie now. After the trouble and expense it had taken to get her, the boss had been more than a little disappointed to apparently get a terrified mute for a best friend for his child, and had made multiple questions to Sophie with a “testing the waters” feel to them. “So, Sophie, how is it having a friend who doesn't talk much?” “You're sure you don't want a proper conversation with her, once in a while?” “Do you want a taller friend? I'm sure we can do taller.” It was frustrating, really. Sophie considered her a pet. The boss considered her a toy for Sophie, waiting for a chance to swap her out for a more fitting one. The guards treated her with, largely, affectionate indifference. Sometimes the Professor thought he was the only one who could see that she was a vulnerable, scared, human being, in what was frankly the scariest place for three continents in any direction.

Ajadea
2011-11-08, 02:55 AM
2012 words. Some of it is the drabbling I did earlier as writing unblocker (I put it in as a book the protagonist is reading :smalltongue:), other is filling in scenes. I'm fairly sure 99% of it is crap. Ah well.

TheSummoner
2011-11-08, 03:12 AM
Nov. 1|0|0|1,667|-1,667
Nov. 7|573|3,593|11,667|-8,074
[/table]

Still not what I'd call a good day, but better. In addition to what I ACTUALLY wrote, I also have a few blank spots that need filling in after I've decided on a few details (what a character is wearing or eating or even what his name is and whatnot).

I've started the second chapter... Part of what was holding me back yesterday was not knowing how to bridge the gap between where I was and where I needed to take things. I think I came up with a pretty good solution.

Hopefully I should be able to get a more respectable word count tomorrow... Less to do and all that. Also I'm about to get into the first part with a good deal of dialogue, so that should help as well.

Castaras
2011-11-08, 09:52 AM
Nearly 10,000 words. Gonna work on it some more this evening to see if I can get closer to the 13k we need to be at. Should be fun.

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-08, 11:16 AM
Got to 13k yesterday, but I haven't started writing yet today...

Sanguine
2011-11-08, 04:02 PM
So far today I have written some 700 words of a Super Hero story. I feel fully justified in counting it as part of my word count as I plan on making it a story within my main story.

Joran
2011-11-08, 04:48 PM
As a veteran of 6 previous NaNoWriMo's, the furthest I got was 5K words. I'm currently at 8.7K after a weekend of not much work.

Here's what's worked for me so far:

1) Never ever revise. As stated before, December is for revision (or January really). Time spent revising is time wasted from writing.

2) Settle for good enough. The world of Dragon Age is named "Thedas"; it stands for "The Dragon Age Setting". If you need a character name, pick something that's just good enough. If you figure out a better name later on "find -> replace all" is your friend, just keep writing.

3) Write something you know. Write in your voice.. I'd love to write a novel with a believable world that requires a lot of research. This is not that novel. Instead, I placed it close to home, so I know immediately what the surrounding areas are like, without any research needed.

Also, by writing in my voice, it greatly cuts down on my thinking and instead lets me spill words out onto the page.

4) Write every day: Even if you sneak in only an odd sentence or a paragraph, just keep it at the forefront of your mind.

5) Never give up, never surrender, never despair: Even if you're behind, dedicating a little extra words above pace every day can make the biggest deficit disappear.

Sanguine
2011-11-08, 09:33 PM
So I was having a touch of writers block so I decided to use the Young Writer's Program Dare Machine (http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/) and it dared me to use the phrase "ancient cheese grater" in my next paragraph. I decided to share the results.

After roughly a week of wondering south, assuming the giant ball of green fire that passes for a sun in this world follows an east to west path, I came upon an interesting sight. A gigantic stone monolith it’s sides facing to the four directions. From afar it looked like a huge ancient cheese grater. When I got closer I saw that there was strange writing upon it with arrows underneath each passage. I assumed it was a sort of guide post and so, after wishing Lyra had taught me to read her language as well as speak it, I headed off in the direction with the most arrows figuring that was the most likely one to have a settlement.

TheSummoner
2011-11-09, 12:17 AM
Ok... So I'm having a bit of a creative problem that maybe someone could help me with. Here's the general scenerio as currently written.

Medieval fantasy setting. I have a character who needs to transport some stuff from point A to point B without being spotted. No witnesses. For the plot to progress, I need another character to notice enough to become suspicious that something is going on, but not see enough to have any idea what it is. Just a bad feeling. So... He can find traces of someone having been that way, but he obviously can't catch them in the act.

Here's where the problem is... I said the first character is using a wagon. This can be changed, but whatever ends up happening, he needs to have something that will allow him to transport a fair amount of stuff... A wagon making slow progress through a forest (there's justification given for why it wouldn't get caught on something. The thing pulling it is not a horse and is strong enough to just force it) seems like it would be too easy to track. I need to come up with a fix for that.

Magic is an option, but it is one I would prefer to avoid. While it does exist, I want it to be fairly rare.

Sanguine
2011-11-09, 12:41 AM
Are there large flying creature in your setting? Hippogriffs, Pegasi, Dragons, Giant Birds. Any of these will work. Have the wagon instead be some kind of satchel that the flying thing can carry. No way to track it really, assuming the flying thing eventually makes it's way above the trees, but the suspicious character might come across some strangely broken branches.

AngelSword
2011-11-09, 12:51 AM
Magic is an option, but it is one I would prefer to avoid. While it does exist, I want it to be fairly rare.

Maybe that's what makes character B suspicious; the stuff being moved is disappearing so fast it could only be magic, but since it's so rare, it seems unlikely.

TheSummoner
2011-11-09, 01:17 AM
Are there large flying creature in your setting? Hippogriffs, Pegasi, Dragons, Giant Birds. Any of these will work. Have the wagon instead be some kind of satchel that the flying thing can carry. No way to track it really, assuming the flying thing eventually makes it's way above the trees, but the suspicious character might come across some strangely broken branches.

They are, but the guy in question probably wouldn't have access to any of it... I'll be a bit more specific.

The first guy, the one with the wagon is a member of a demon cult. He has a small band of demons with him, though the only noteworthy one is the large creature I described a couple pages back and it sure can't fly (enormously fat would be a good way to describe it. Other apt words are monster, horror, man-eater, terror, and one of the most evil things that will be in the story). That creature is also the thing pulling the wagon (and it is plenty strong enough to brute-force the wagon past any difficult terrain).

The other man is a knight. A paladin specifically, though probably not lining up with the D&D class as I have never played. He and a few others (including the lord he serves) were hunting and came across... Something. Despite whatever signs there are, he is the only one who doesn't either deny or ignore it (the lord insists that it was just poachers). A few things I've come up with is that the hunting dogs refused to track the cultist, and possibly that their horses would not go anywhere nearby without panicing (though I'm leaning against this one because it both requires them to have been fairly close and could cause problems later when actual fighting breaks out). Where distance is concerned, the only thing established is that the cultist was close enough to hear the hunting horn and know that he had to disappear.

Maybe that's what makes character B suspicious; the stuff being moved is disappearing so fast it could only be magic, but since it's so rare, it seems unlikely.

A possibility, but I don't see Character A as being able to do magic. Or if he can, not very much, especially not this early on.

Right now, the solution I'm leaning towards is just saying that the wagon hovers, though if I can come up with a workable solution that is more mundane, I'd probably prefer that. I could just say it's a demon wagon. Floating demon wagon. Still, I'm trying to come up with something I like better than that if possible.

Sanguine
2011-11-09, 01:24 AM
Is it possible that the demon could carry the wagon rather than pull it?

TheSummoner
2011-11-09, 01:43 AM
I would say no... It's strong, but not that strong. It needs to be kept at the sort of level where humans could face off against it and not have it be instantly suicidal.

Sanguine
2011-11-09, 01:54 AM
I would say no... It's strong, but not that strong. It needs to be kept at the sort of level where humans could face off against it and not have it be instantly suicidal.

The obvious solution would there would be projectile weaponry. Bows, Crossbows, Javelins, maybe very basic muskets depending on your setting. Or Siege Weaponry.

But I'll accept that he's not strong enough.

Is it possible one of the miscellaneous demons could serve as transportation. For instance a demon whose mouth acts as a gateway to a pocket dimension; it would probably have to have jaws like a snake. Or a quadrupedal demon with a large indentation in its back that could hold the stuff.

LeSwordfish
2011-11-09, 03:13 AM
If the demon is strong enough to pull the wagon past any obstacle, have the wagon get horribly stuck, and then the demon pulls it past. Either let B watch this, or have him come across the debris later- a whole tree-trunk, splintered like matchwood as something was dragged through it.

TheSummoner
2011-11-09, 03:13 AM
As I've said though, the fat one was the only noteworthy one in the group. Such things could surely exist, but they would not have been present. At this point in the story, the cult is quite small and weak.

I think I'll sleep on it and see if I can come up with something. If not, I may just go with demonic hover-wagons.

And with that, time for a status check.

Nov. 1|0|0|1,667|-1,667
Nov. 8|407|4,000|13,334|-9,334[/table]

Worse than yesterday, and ironically, I had less to do today than I did then. Maybe I just got distracted too easily... Ah well, I wasn't gonna reach 50,000 anyways. I'll just keep writing and reach whatever I reach.

dehro
2011-11-09, 03:48 AM
As I've said though, the fat one was the only noteworthy one in the group. Such things could surely exist, but they would not have been present. At this point in the story, the cult is quite small and weak.

I think I'll sleep on it and see if I can come up with something. If not, I may just go with demonic hover-wagons.

And with that, time for a status check.

Nov. 1|0|0|1,667|-1,667
Nov. 8|407|4,000|13,334|-9,334[/table]

Worse than yesterday, and ironically, I had less to do today than I did then. Maybe I just got distracted too easily... Ah well, I wasn't gonna reach 50,000 anyways. I'll just keep writing and reach whatever I reach.

no need to involve magic at all. you can, but you don't have to
how about water? have the cultist pull a barge across the forest.. from the shores of a torrent/river..with ropes.. following an old road nobody has used in centuries; a road that follows the river precisely for the purpose of barge-pulling.
if there's enough of them, the cultist should leave very visible traces behind, on an otherwise overgrown road.. too many traces and too fresh, for it to just be poachers. as for the paladin's bad feelings..those can be attributed simply to the presence of the bad demon creature..or to other signs left behind by the cultists
(as to why the road would have been abbandoned by regular traffic..maybe the city it leads to doesn't exist anymore, maybe there's now a more direct road that swings past the forest altogether.. maybe the entire course of the river isn't accessible anymore because of changes in the river's path..but there's enough of it for the purposes of the cultists)

LeSwordfish
2011-11-09, 09:41 AM
To get inspiration, i've been using http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/ and it's random dare generator. So far i've been given:

"Write a scene where the antagonist saves both the day and the protagonist's life"

Done and done. I actually had something like this planned, but it made me get off my ass and write it.

"Name a character after a random word from a dictionary."

Meet Rich. He's a bit of an arse, really.

"Base a main character on one of your friends."

All my main characters are based on people i know. So, this was less challenging than i'd hoped. Ah well. Will break to play games and do revision, and hopefully get back into it after 4pm or so.

AngelSword
2011-11-09, 02:22 PM
A possibility, but I don't see Character A as being able to do magic. Or if he can, not very much, especially not this early on.

Right now, the solution I'm leaning towards is just saying that the wagon hovers, though if I can come up with a workable solution that is more mundane, I'd probably prefer that. I could just say it's a demon wagon. Floating demon wagon. Still, I'm trying to come up with something I like better than that if possible.

That was more or less the gist of what I meant; a hovering wagon, a bag that's much bigger on the inside, or a magic pair of boots that increase your ability to dart through the trees. The magic isn't coming from the character; they're just cheating.

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-09, 06:39 PM
Finally made 16k, intending to see if I can't get a little further before midnight...

Edit: Looks like the word count widgets are finally available, expect mine within the next couple of minutes...

tgva8889
2011-11-09, 11:51 PM
Trying to get words done today. I feel like I'm behind, but I'm really not off-par at all. Life has just been smashing me over and over with tons of ****. Can't shake it off. But the week's almost over. I cannot wait for it to be over...

TheSummoner
2011-11-10, 03:12 AM
Nov. 1|0|0|1,667|-1,667
Nov. 8|407|4,000|13,334|-9,334
Nov. 9|562|4,562|15,000|-10,438[/table]

Know what... At this point I'm thinking if I can average 500+ a day, I'll consider myself doing fine. For someone whose never done any serious creative writing, I think that's a reasonable goal.

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-10, 06:39 PM
Just broke the 19k barrier tonight, and I need a break from writing before the words tear my eyes out...

Alarra
2011-11-10, 10:39 PM
I was all behind so I went to a write-in a couple hours early tonight and wrote 9,800 words, bringing me to 27,847

tgva8889
2011-11-10, 11:56 PM
And not writing at all tonight. I am instead gonna get some sleep.

TheSummoner
2011-11-11, 03:58 AM
I was all behind so I went to a write-in a couple hours early tonight and wrote 9,800 words, bringing me to 27,847

... HOW!? I barely have half of that TOTAL and you wrote nearly 10,000 words in a DAY!?

Ok... Calm down, Summoner... I'm at 4,951 at the moment and I want to atleast hit 5,000 before I go to bed...

Hhere's a passage I wrote today. It's back to the cultist I mentioned earlier.

He made his way past the succubi and into the gorge. There were two of the she demons standing guard when he arrived, both possessing an unnatural allure that was difficult to ignore. Even the features which clearly marked their inhuman nature seemed only to add to their charm. Though they possessed the same strange flesh coloration as the other demons (in this case, a fiery orange and a subtle purple), theirs was not sickly. Fangs, horns, wings, and tail all took more subdued shape than those possessed by the other fiends and served to make them appear more exotic than monstrous.

He knew that there was no substance to their appeal. Though the succubi appeared beautiful, their touch was fatal. They possessed the ability to manipulate the minds of mortals with their presence. To turn terror into obsession. Death and enthrallment were the only possible fates for those who could not resist their temptations. Worse yet, the she demons could change their forms effortlessly. By taking a more mundane shape, they could enslave the wills of mortals without their victims even realizing it. Thankfully, the disguise was not perfect. A succubus could flawlessly take on a new body, but it could not mask its supernatural allure. By just being aware of that fact and having a strong enough will to avoid outright enthrallment, it was possible to distinguish a succubus in disguise from a normal person. Admittedly, resisting them was easier said than done.

A few notes. I do not have a name for him yet (I'm terrible with names. Ask anyone in my forum game), so in my actual word document, I have a placeholder for his name that can be quickly replaced once I decide on something I like. For the sake of what I posted here, I've replaced that with an appropriate pronoun (pretty sure it was "he" every time).

In particular, I'm wondering about this line.

"Though the succubi appeared beautiful, their touch was fatal."

Fatal... Not sure if that's the best word... Deadly? Venomous? Theres something I'm trying to convey and I'm not sure the best word for the job. I may be imagining it, but it seems to me that the general gaming/fantasy nerd community seems to view succubi as nothing more than demon-whores (at the very least, it seems to be a running joke of sorts). I want to make it clear that atleast where my universe is concerned, thinking that is a good way to end up dead. Sure, they may manipulate your baser urges to get you where they want you, but you're a fool if you think they have any intention of fulfilling what you want. And I'm trying to get this point across without actually having to use the word "dentata" if possible. :smallamused:

Sanguine
2011-11-11, 04:38 AM
How about this:

"Though the succubi appeared beautiful, no man survived their touch."

Alarra
2011-11-11, 10:53 AM
... HOW!? I barely have half of that TOTAL and you wrote nearly 10,000 words in a DAY!?

In particular, I'm wondering about this line.

"Though the succubi appeared beautiful, their touch was fatal."

Fatal... Not sure if that's the best word... Deadly? Venomous? Theres something I'm trying to convey and I'm not sure the best word for the job.
Ah, I think I see the problem here...you're worrying about stuff. And specific lines even! That's a December task. Do that and you'll never write fast enough to make it Nanoing.

TheSummoner
2011-11-11, 01:57 PM
Perhaps, but I'm far to OCD to ignore those little details =P

I will note that the part I posted was pretty much the very beginning of what I wrote yesterday, so I managed to get a couple hundred more words even after the line I thought could be improved. I made it to 5,105 total before I went to sleep. No need to post another table I think, I'll just put that in when I do tonight's.

How about this:

"Though the succubi appeared beautiful, no man survived their touch."

Good suggestion. I like the way that's worded much better and it has the added bonus of sounding much more absolute.

Alarra
2011-11-11, 02:31 PM
Perhaps, but I'm far to OCD to ignore those little details =P

Well, you did ask how... and how I do it is by not letting myself be as OCD as I normally would be, for this one month.

Z3ro
2011-11-11, 04:53 PM
Got past the 30,000 word mark today. I'm a little behind my pace to hit 100,000 words, but if I continue at the pace I'm on I should hit about 90,000 or so. Gonna see if I can't pick it up a little.

dehro
2011-11-11, 06:23 PM
hi there..
I've got a medieval fantasy setting where 3 main races are populating a world (called Wejith) without there being a clear dominance of one or the other race. there aren't any relevant "racially exclusive countries".. like elven kingdoms or such..they're all fairly well mixed

there's the Humans, the Polu and the Varth...
Polu and Varth are purpose built races, mostly human in aspect and physical attributes. they all live mixed together. globally speaking there isn't a clear dominance in numbers of one race on the others. Polu are slightly more exotic (in terms of there being less of them around where the action is at, in the novel, and coming from a further away part of the world)..and they're dark skinned...like the darkest of dark skin tones but otherwise rather similar to humans (there are differences, but not relevant to the topic).
..whereas Varth tend to be slightly more peculiar lookswise, and are the ones with a stronger sense of comunity (as in being racially minded/conscious, so to speak). they live longer than the other two and are a bit of a cross between a wookie and an elf. in the part of the world where the action is, they are as common as humans and all 3 races are well integrated with one another.
humans, on the whole planet, are of one single etnicity, containing various skin-tones depending on the natural habitat and so on..
so..how do I call humans if I don't want to use that word? does it make sense for me not to want to use the word human? or am I just calling a rabbit a smeerp?

Trellan
2011-11-11, 07:25 PM
Calling a rabbit a smeerp. If you're going to use humans, just call them humans. If you're really opposed to that for some reason, you can always just call them by their kingdom's or region's name (like we would say someone is American, a Brit, and so on), and let your description of them make it clear to the reader that it's a human. The other two races would probably have their own slang or terms for humans, just like when I used Brit or how some people call Americans Yankees.

TheSummoner
2011-11-12, 03:36 AM
If you don't like the word "humans" one option come up with a fitting prefix and slap it in front of -men. As Trellan was suggesting, you could use the name of their kingdom or region. So... Let's just steal Trellan's name for my an example. If they primarily live in the kingdom of "Trellan" then you could call them "Trellmen."

A question though, more from curiosity than actual need to know... These three races, are they actually separate species or are they different races of one same species. What I mean is, is any interbreeding possible between members of separate groups? Fantasy tends to use the words species and race interchangably, so you can never quite be sure...

Nov. 1|0|0|1,667|-1,667
Nov. 9|562|4,562|15,000|-10,438
Nov. 10|543|5,105|16,667|-11,562
Nov. 11|504|5,609|18,334|-12,725[/table]

So heres my word count as of right now. Another busy day for me... I never seem to have much time to sit down and write. A few parts left blank because of brain fartage, but I can go back to those later.

I'm considering changing the goal part to reflect 500 a day average instead of 1,666 and 2/3. As I said before, it seems much more likely for me.

dehro
2011-11-12, 05:35 AM
I'm considering changing the goal part to reflect 500 a day average instead of 1,666 and 2/3. As I said before, it seems much more likely for me.

I wouldn't do that..because once you've got a closer target you'll start making excuses for only writing 450 words..and so on.

as for your question... I'm not sure yet if interbreeding is possible and, if it turns out to be possible, whether the result is something entirely new or just a mix of the two. (in a donkey meets horse = hinny/mule kind of way).
if it is possible at all, it would be limited to Polu and human...the Varth are a bit further removed, physiologically speaking. (in fact I'm still working on how far removed they are..I have a couple of ideas, but I've so far neglected, in my writing, to delve into accurate descriptions of the characters :smallfrown:..somehting that is only caused by the need for speed and I would ordinarily not accept)

dehro
2011-11-12, 07:40 PM
Nov. 1|2,300|2,300|1,667|+633
Nov. 2|1,427|3,727|3,334|+393
Nov. 3|3,903|7,630|5,000|+2,630
Nov. 4|2,428|10,058|6,667|+3,391
Nov. 5|1,390|11,448|8,334|+3,114
Nov. 6|5,784|17,232|10,000|+7,232
Nov. 7|0|17,232|11,667|+5,565
Nov. 8|2,036|19,268|13,333|+5,935
Nov. 9|1,475|20,743|15,000|+5,743
Nov. 10|581|21,324|16,666|+4,658
Nov. 11|898|22,222|18,333|+3,889
Nov. 12|4,484|26,706|20,000|+6,706
[/table]
had a slump in productivity in the days leading up to the weekend, for which I made up today (Saturday). hoping to extend the gap tomorrow, in preview of further slumps in the coming week.

tgva8889
2011-11-14, 02:51 AM
23813 words right now. Whew. This is a great project.

TheSummoner
2011-11-14, 03:30 AM
I'm calling it a night. I had 6131 words Saturday night and I have 6,508 now. I ended up re-writing a part because I didn't like the way it was going, so I probably lost 100-200 words there.

Yeah, I know, revisions, December, and all that. =P

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-14, 12:42 PM
I'm calling it a night. I had 6131 words Saturday night and I have 6,508 now. I ended up re-writing a part because I didn't like the way it was going, so I probably lost 100-200 words there.

Yeah, I know, revisions, December, and all that. =P

My suggestion for revisions you feel absolutely have to happen: Change the colour of the text you want to get rid of and break it off to its own paragraph, then add the words: To be deleted in december: to the front of the offending block of text.

Having done that, you've suddenly gained five words before even deciding what to replace it with.:smallwink:

Z3ro
2011-11-14, 05:34 PM
So I'm happy with today; 5,071 words. I was down after I only put about 1,000 out yesterday, but was able to make it up today. Half the month down, almost half my book down. Let's go back nine!

Silviya
2011-11-15, 12:01 AM
This might interest or help some of you: My writing group has written two (http://alpha.spellcaster.org/2011/11/14/making-it-to-50000-words-strategies-for-nanowrimo/) posts (http://alpha.spellcaster.org/2011/11/07/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-about-national-novel-writing-month/) about NaNoWriMo on our blog, and more will probably be written as the month progresses (there's also a lot of really good general advice about writing in general on the blog, which some of you may find helpful. I always found the posts on the blog to be helpful).

Currently at 48,599 words myself, hoping to hit 50k by the end of the night. I'm on track for 100k so far, at least. I got 14,183 words on the 11th, from the challenge to write for 11 hours and write at least 11,111 words on the 11th, so that's helped me a lot. Now, if only I could get myself to write more than 2,000 on other days . . .

AngelSword
2011-11-15, 02:40 AM
As far as word count goes, I'm feeling like I'm slacking. On the plus side, I like what I've got so far.

(Warning: Explicit Content)
My shoulder burned as I hopped over a fallen tree, making my way deeper into the darkening woods. Seems that slimy old **** wasn't lying about his marksmanship; even being mauled by a half-man, half-wolf monster, he still managed to lodge a bullet under my collar bone. I have to ignore it for now; I have more important things to worry about. Looking back, the two patrolmen seemed to be closing the distance. Why do I never get the fat cops? Through the rain, I heard the sound of rushing water. Finally, some good luck! If the river is big enough, I might be able to lose them.

Alarra
2011-11-15, 03:20 AM
I'd love to read some of these books when the month is over. :smallsmile:

And oooh! Are we posting bits? Cause this is one of my favorite exchanges so far: :smallbiggrin: (Sorry, tis a smidgling longer)

Kimbra had not been impressed with his tales of heroism, but luckily thought he was just drunk and didn’t try to have him committed when he started claiming his deity-hood. She also did not come home with him that night. This confused him. He rarely had trouble winning over a woman. He was charming, intelligent, and damn good looking. Kimbra had not been the least receptive to his advances though, and kept him at arm’s length the entire night. She had refused to even flirt back, treating him as he imagined she would any customer. He was, frankly, humiliated. Maybe it was his hair. He had recently chosen to dye the tips of his stylish spikes blue. He liked it, but found it turned off a certain portion of the demographic, specifically, everyone over 40. This was fine by him, as he didn’t really want someone over 40.

The pounding rattled his skull again and he pulled his pillow over his head. He did not know why he thought this would work, clearly the pounding was inside his head. To his surprise, however, the sound was quieter the next time. Odd. He had not actually expected the pillow to muffle his hangover. The pounding came again, sounding more insistent and in a different pattern. He moved the pillow and sat up. Was someone at the door? He dragged himself out of bed, glancing at the clock on the cable box as he rose. It was nearly 7am. Who in the hell would be knocking on his door at 7am? Whoever it was, he hoped that could dodge a right hook, because he had half a mind to open the door swinging.

He opened the door and squinted into the early morning sunshine.

“Ah, so you are home.” The man pushed the door open the rest of the way and walked in, giving Ghani an appraising look. “Did you seriously just answer the door naked? Sky above, what would your mother think?”

Ghani took a deep breath to allow his thoughts to catch up with his eyes. “Dad?” His voice was quiet and incredulous.

Tso clapped his son on the shoulder and turned him in the direction of his bedroom. “Put on a robe. We need to talk.”

Ten minutes later, Ghani was feeling a little more human. He’d taken a shower and was tightening the belt of his robe around his waist as he came into the living room. “What the hell are you doing here, Dad?”

His father was standing at the window, looking down over downtown Los Angeles. “How can you live here? It’s so confining, so dirty.”

“That doesn’t answer my question.”

“What? Oh, yes, of course. I need some help, son.”

“Of course you do. Too much to hope that you actually came for a visit. I mean, I haven’t seen you in what? 500 years?”

“Well that is hardly my fault. You know I have responsibilities, a job. I help keep the bloody universe running.”

“Like it’s that hard to cart a ball across the sky.”

“I’m going to pretend I didn’t hear that. Anyway….YOU have no responsibilities at all, so there is no excuse for you not coming back above any more than you do.”

Ghani sighed. “I’m sure you did not travel all the way down here to scold me for not coming home for Christmas. So, why are you here?”

“I have found your mother. I’m here to bring her home.”

“Have you?” Ghani raised an eyebrow. “Is she here in LA then?”

Tso glared at his son. “You knew! You’ve known where she was all this time and you didn’t tell me!”

“This has never been my fight, dad. She didn’t want to be found. You know that.”

Tso sighed and dropped to a chair, burying his head in his hands. “She never even told me why she left, you know. I’ve been walking back and forth across this god-forsaken land every day wondering what I did wrong, why she hated me.”

“There are at least thirty gods here, and that's just the ones I know. It’s hardly ‘forsaken’”.

“Oh for…You know what I mean, you ungrateful fruit of my loins.”

Ghani could not stop himself from laughing. “Fruit of your loins? Really? Was that supposed to be your attempt at an insult?”

TheSummoner
2011-11-15, 03:54 AM
So... Up to 7,054 for tonight. I could probably get a bit more in, but I think sleeping on it might make it better when I do.

Since we're posting story bits again, here's something I came up with today. Complete with my trademarked name placeholders because I suck at coming up with namesTM. In this case, I couldn't just throw in the pronouns since it involved more than one character.
Men scattered and started searching for anything that could lead to the bandits. Anything that seemed out of place. Blackened bones filled the ruined buildings. Not a single skeleton that hadn’t been touched by the flames.

“The bastards. Did they burn them alive?” He muttered, more to himself than anyone in particular.

“Sir. Something I’ve been thinking about.”

He turned. It was [Unnamed character] again. “What is it?”

“Well, sir, just look.” [Unnamed character] drew an arrow and fired it into the half rotten carcass of a pig. Puncturing it didn’t help the stink.

“Save your arrows for the bandits.”

“Will do, sir. Sorry ‘bout that. But look at it.”

He was growing tired of the game. “I am looking at it. Get to the point.”

“Well, how long do you think it’s been since the attack? Had to be a week by now or close to it. The bodies haven’t been touched. It’s not normal. Wolves or bears or something shoulda been at it by now, but it looks like nothings been near them since they died.”

So... Bout what would you say a good length for a chapter is? Word count or page number or whatever. Mine seem kinda short so I thought I should get opinions.

Sanguine
2011-11-15, 04:41 AM
Ooh are we doing excerpts again.:smallbiggrin:

Here's a scene that I did recently and really like. (Warning: This may be the longest excerpt so far.)
How long has it been since I last laid myself down to rest? It’s not terribly important as my body doesn’t produce fatigue toxins. Oh, but what I wouldn’t give to lay myself to rest in my knight’s tender embrace.

Coyote stood before my throne his amber eyes trained upon Manannán. It had taken weeks to track him down. Or was it months. I must keep track of time if I am to be ready. He had blended in seamlessly with the mortals from a retirement home in Wales. So close to my home, the arrogance of it made my blood boil. It only made it worse that he had succeeded for so long.

I had prepared his shackles long since, if it weren’t for his little disappearing trick he would have been shackled along with his brother Bywyd. Once Coyote had arrived with him in tow I had immediately begun the shackling ceremony.

“Coyote take Manannán and shunt him off to some realm in the ass end of Creation that the war will never touch.” I had been thinking about Bywyd’s escape for some time now and had come to the conclusion that someone must have helped. My first instinct had been the Trickster but I quickly gave up that notion. The Trickster was powerful enough to break the spell of the bracers but the spell hadn’t been disturbed.

In his growling half voice Coyote answered. “As you wish my High King.” Did I detect the hint of a smile in those amber eyes? No it couldn’t be. In a blur of sandy fur Coyote leaped upon the elderly form of Manannán and then in the blink of an eye they were gone.

As the Trickster disappeared to Creator alone knows where the Seer emerged from the shadows. Aside from the Trickster the Seer was the only Archetype to join with me so far. I’m not sure I can trust an Archetype any more than I could trust Bywyd or Manannán, but I needed them, at least some of them, if I was going to win.

The Seer was in the form of the Fates: Three beautiful maidens in modern dress each almost identical to the other but subtly different. It was undoubtedly The Seer’s most famous persona having appeared in both Greco-Roman and Nordic mythos. It was also the most well known among the gods. But it wasn’t their only one.

“Bywyd and Manannán,” The three maidens said in unison, “Life and Death. These are not things that the wise man takes lightly.”

“What would you have me do?” I barked angrily. “Manannán has no heir and can’t have one. So slaying him is not truly a possibility. I can’t trap him either, Bywyd escaped Manannán could also. But if I just keep them out of the war it would be just as good.” And I won’t have their blood on my conscience.

“It is not my place to tell the High King of the Gods what to do.”

“Well you admit that I’m your High King. That’s a first. Perhaps now you will tell me if I will win?”

In that eerie triple voice of theirs the Fates decreed. “War is not a game; all who play at it lose, except mayhap the Devourer of Carrion.”

I'm not sure about that last bit of dialogue. I'm fairly sure I could do it better but I'm not sure how. Besides that's December work.

LeSwordfish
2011-11-15, 10:41 AM
If we're posting extracts, this can be my contribution. It's real long, but mostly dialogue.

“Um.” Meredith started. “Um, Um, Um, what's that?”

The Professor smiled. “Ah, my dear. You couldn't have asked at a better time.” He had slipped into “Avuncular Uncle” mode, the mode he used when demonstrating his new equipment to Sophie or Meredith- Meredith made a particularly good audience, showing real wonder at whatever he had to show her, though, as he'd discovered when she and Sophie wandered into his laboratory while he was cutting an iron sheet, she was equally entranced by a simple laser cutter with lithium cooling. Some people were so deprived- it was criminal really. “This, my dear, is the mark three cold-containment icer pistol.” Meredith blinked a few times. “It's a freeze gun”. Meredith nodded.

“How does it work?” Sophie called down from the balcony. The Professor grinned happily. “My dear, the physics behind this would make Einstein become a watchmaker. Suffice to say, it projects a magnetically contained field of super-cooled helium at high velocity. Upon hitting a target, the containment breaks down, and the helium is released. The heat flow into the helium is of a sufficient rate to practically guarantee a small area around the target is flash-frozen.”

“Flash-frozen?”

“Ah. I feel a demonstration is in order. Ms Took?”

The lab assistant entered, climbing up the narrow spiral stairs from the level below. She was carrying a red cloth scarf, balling it up into her hands as she walked.

“Today, Ms Took...”

“The standard demonstration?”

“Ah, Ellie. You read my mind again.”

Ellie smiled ruefully, and took up position at the end of the room. “Whenever you're ready.”

The professor smiled, and began fiddling with the freeze gun, before reaching over to adjust some settings on the block of a control panel on the battered desk with spatters of solder beside him. Sophie ran down to stand arm in arm with Meredith, who clutched a scrap of wire-coating nervously.

The professor finished his tweaks, and brought the pistol up to aim from his shoulder. “I should be wearing goggles for this.” He flashed a devil-may-care grin. “Ah, well.” Ellie rolled her eyes. Watch out guys, we've got a badass here. "Ready?”

“Always.”

“Pull!”

Ellie flung the wadded-up scarf into the air. It opened up like a parachute in midair. As it peaked, the professor hit it in midair with a long, crystal-blue beam that made no noise but a high hiss. The half-uncoiled scarf spun, solidified in midair for a second, then came crashing down. Ellie smartly stepped out of its way. When it hit the ground, it shattered, shards of icy red fabric spinning and bouncing off theoughout the room. The cleanup took hours, weeding soggy strips of red cloth from important bits of machinery, but, the professor thought, looking at the expression on the small girl's faces, it was probably worth it. Even when small bits of cloth caught fire in the machinery. All worth it.

December's task: find synonyms for "midair"

Tyndmyr
2011-11-15, 12:26 PM
Ah, I think I see the problem here...you're worrying about stuff. And specific lines even! That's a December task. Do that and you'll never write fast enough to make it Nanoing.

Ah, well that's my problem. I sit there pondering which specific word to use.

I like the output quality, but I confess that 10k words looks damned attractive as a TOTAL, let alone a one day accomplishment. Ima need to crush me some serious words tomorrow, cause I'm DMing tonight.

TheSummoner
2011-11-15, 12:41 PM
Ellie flung the wadded-up scarf into the air. It opened up like a parachute in midair. As it peaked, the professor hit it in midair with a long, crystal-blue beam that made no noise but a high hiss. The half-uncoiled scarf spun, solidified in midair for a second, then came crashing down. Ellie smartly stepped out of its way. When it hit the ground, it shattered, shards of icy red fabric spinning and bouncing off theoughout the room. The cleanup took hours, weeding soggy strips of red cloth from important bits of machinery, but, the professor thought, looking at the expression on the small girl's faces, it was probably worth it. Even when small bits of cloth caught fire in the machinery. All worth it.

Ok... So three uses of "midair" in that paragraph and you'd prefer fewer. How about...

Ellie flung the wadded-up scarf into the air. It opened up like a parachute catching the wind. As it peaked, the professor hit it with a long, crystal-blue beam that made no noise but a high hiss. The half-uncoiled scarf spun, solidified in midair for a second, then came crashing down. Ellie smartly stepped out of its way. When it hit the ground, it shattered, shards of icy red fabric spinning and bouncing off theoughout the room. The cleanup took hours, weeding soggy strips of red cloth from important bits of machinery, but, the professor thought, looking at the expression on the small girl's faces, it was probably worth it. Even when small bits of cloth caught fire in the machinery. All worth it.

I reworded the first use, eliminated the second (wasn't really necessary and was a bit redundant), and left the third. One word less overall, but no more overuse of "midair."

Zorg
2011-11-15, 02:06 PM
And oooh! Are we posting bits? Cause this is one of my favorite exchanges so far: :smallbiggrin: (Sorry, tis a smidgling longer)

Kimbra had not been impressed with his tales of heroism, but luckily thought he was just drunk and didn’t try to have him committed when he started claiming his deity-hood. She also did not come home with him that night. This confused him. He rarely had trouble winning over a woman. He was charming, intelligent, and damn good looking. Kimbra had not been the least receptive to his advances though, and kept him at arm’s length the entire night. She had refused to even flirt back, treating him as he imagined she would any customer. He was, frankly, humiliated. Maybe it was his hair. He had recently chosen to dye the tips of his stylish spikes blue. He liked it, but found it turned off a certain portion of the demographic, specifically, everyone over 40. This was fine by him, as he didn’t really want someone over 40.

The pounding rattled his skull again and he pulled his pillow over his head. He did not know why he thought this would work, clearly the pounding was inside his head. To his surprise, however, the sound was quieter the next time. Odd. He had not actually expected the pillow to muffle his hangover. The pounding came again, sounding more insistent and in a different pattern. He moved the pillow and sat up. Was someone at the door? He dragged himself out of bed, glancing at the clock on the cable box as he rose. It was nearly 7am. Who in the hell would be knocking on his door at 7am? Whoever it was, he hoped that could dodge a right hook, because he had half a mind to open the door swinging.

He opened the door and squinted into the early morning sunshine.

“Ah, so you are home.” The man pushed the door open the rest of the way and walked in, giving Ghani an appraising look. “Did you seriously just answer the door naked? Sky above, what would your mother think?”

Ghani took a deep breath to allow his thoughts to catch up with his eyes. “Dad?” His voice was quiet and incredulous.

Tso clapped his son on the shoulder and turned him in the direction of his bedroom. “Put on a robe. We need to talk.”

Ten minutes later, Ghani was feeling a little more human. He’d taken a shower and was tightening the belt of his robe around his waist as he came into the living room. “What the hell are you doing here, Dad?”

His father was standing at the window, looking down over downtown Los Angeles. “How can you live here? It’s so confining, so dirty.”

“That doesn’t answer my question.”

“What? Oh, yes, of course. I need some help, son.”

“Of course you do. Too much to hope that you actually came for a visit. I mean, I haven’t seen you in what? 500 years?”

“Well that is hardly my fault. You know I have responsibilities, a job. I help keep the bloody universe running.”

“Like it’s that hard to cart a ball across the sky.”

“I’m going to pretend I didn’t hear that. Anyway….YOU have no responsibilities at all, so there is no excuse for you not coming back above any more than you do.”

Ghani sighed. “I’m sure you did not travel all the way down here to scold me for not coming home for Christmas. So, why are you here?”

“I have found your mother. I’m here to bring her home.”

“Have you?” Ghani raised an eyebrow. “Is she here in LA then?”

Tso glared at his son. “You knew! You’ve known where she was all this time and you didn’t tell me!”

“This has never been my fight, dad. She didn’t want to be found. You know that.”

Tso sighed and dropped to a chair, burying his head in his hands. “She never even told me why she left, you know. I’ve been walking back and forth across this god-forsaken land every day wondering what I did wrong, why she hated me.”

“There are at least thirty gods here, and that's just the ones I know. It’s hardly ‘forsaken’”.

“Oh for…You know what I mean, you ungrateful fruit of my loins.”

Ghani could not stop himself from laughing. “Fruit of your loins? Really? Was that supposed to be your attempt at an insult?”

I like it, got quite a chukle out of me. Only thing I could comment on negatively is that when Tso enters the door I'd have him at least brushing past Ghani. When I opent the door I'm generally blocking the doorway, or at least have to move slightly to accomodate the other person. Still, very minor (December! :smalltongue: )

Since we're posting story bits again, here's something I came up with today. Complete with my trademarked name placeholders because I suck at coming up with namesTM. In this case, I couldn't just throw in the pronouns since it involved more than one character.
Men scattered and started searching for anything that could lead to the bandits. Anything that seemed out of place. Blackened bones filled the ruined buildings. Not a single skeleton that hadn’t been touched by the flames.

“The bastards. Did they burn them alive?” He muttered, more to himself than anyone in particular.

“Sir. Something I’ve been thinking about.”

He turned. It was [Unnamed character] again. “What is it?”

“Well, sir, just look.” [Unnamed character] drew an arrow and fired it into the half rotten carcass of a pig. Puncturing it didn’t help the stink.

“Save your arrows for the bandits.”

“Will do, sir. Sorry ‘bout that. But look at it.”

He was growing tired of the game. “I am looking at it. Get to the point.”

“Well, how long do you think it’s been since the attack? Had to be a week by now or close to it. The bodies haven’t been touched. It’s not normal. Wolves or bears or something shoulda been at it by now, but it looks like nothings been near them since they died.”

One thing is some odd capitalisation - Did they burn them alive?” He muttered - the 'He' shouldn't have a capital letter. Even though the line used a question mark it is within quotes, so it acts more like a comma for punctuation purposes.

If you want names check out 20,000 names (http://www.20000-names.com/), Behind the Name (http://www.behindthename.com/) (they have a random generator) or this one based on the US census (http://kleimo.com/random/name.cfm) (you can set obscurity).

So... Bout what would you say a good length for a chapter is? Word count or page number or whatever. Mine seem kinda short so I thought I should get opinions.

I'm aiming for 7-12k words a piece, and I'm aiming for around 100k all up. They are fairly flexible as I've altered my outline so I've condensed the first four and half chapters as outlines into two as written.
Chapters should be put where the story/timeline makes a significant milestone or change. Not everyone uses them either. So, to answer your question: about the same length as a piece of string :smallwink:

Ooh are we doing excerpts again.:smallbiggrin:

Here's a scene that I did recently and really like. (Warning: This may be the longest excerpt so far.)
How long has it been since I last laid myself down to rest? It’s not terribly important as my body doesn’t produce fatigue toxins. Oh, but what I wouldn’t give to lay myself to rest in my knight’s tender embrace.

Coyote stood before my throne his amber eyes trained upon Manannán. It had taken weeks to track him down. Or was it months. I must keep track of time if I am to be ready. He had blended in seamlessly with the mortals from a retirement home in Wales. So close to my home, the arrogance of it made my blood boil. It only made it worse that he had succeeded for so long.

I had prepared his shackles long since, if it weren’t for his little disappearing trick he would have been shackled along with his brother Bywyd. Once Coyote had arrived with him in tow I had immediately begun the shackling ceremony.

“Coyote take Manannán and shunt him off to some realm in the ass end of Creation that the war will never touch.” I had been thinking about Bywyd’s escape for some time now and had come to the conclusion that someone must have helped. My first instinct had been the Trickster but I quickly gave up that notion. The Trickster was powerful enough to break the spell of the bracers but the spell hadn’t been disturbed.

In his growling half voice Coyote answered. “As you wish my High King.” Did I detect the hint of a smile in those amber eyes? No it couldn’t be. In a blur of sandy fur Coyote leaped upon the elderly form of Manannán and then in the blink of an eye they were gone.

As the Trickster disappeared to Creator alone knows where the Seer emerged from the shadows. Aside from the Trickster the Seer was the only Archetype to join with me so far. I’m not sure I can trust an Archetype any more than I could trust Bywyd or Manannán, but I needed them, at least some of them, if I was going to win.

The Seer was in the form of the Fates: Three beautiful maidens in modern dress each almost identical to the other but subtly different. It was undoubtedly The Seer’s most famous persona having appeared in both Greco-Roman and Nordic mythos. It was also the most well known among the gods. But it wasn’t their only one.

“Bywyd and Manannán,” The three maidens said in unison, “Life and Death. These are not things that the wise man takes lightly.”

“What would you have me do?” I barked angrily. “Manannán has no heir and can’t have one. So slaying him is not truly a possibility. I can’t trap him either, Bywyd escaped Manannán could also. But if I just keep them out of the war it would be just as good.” And I won’t have their blood on my conscience.

“It is not my place to tell the High King of the Gods what to do.”

“Well you admit that I’m your High King. That’s a first. Perhaps now you will tell me if I will win?”

In that eerie triple voice of theirs the Fates decreed. “War is not a game; all who play at it lose, except mayhap the Devourer of Carrion.”

I'm not sure about that last bit of dialogue. I'm fairly sure I could do it better but I'm not sure how. Besides that's December work.

Lots of Fantasy Capitalisation there - took me a couple of re-reads to get the hang of it - a problem with extracts of course. As I said to TheSummoner above some of the capitalisation and punctuation around the quotation marks is a bit wonky. One is when the POV character is talking to Coyote: “Coyote take Manannán..." there should be a comma after 'Coyote'.

Interesting concept from what I can see of the plot :smallsmile:

If we're posting extracts, this can be my contribution. It's real long, but mostly dialogue.

“Um.” Meredith started. “Um, Um, Um, what's that?”

The Professor smiled. “Ah, my dear. You couldn't have asked at a better time.” He had slipped into “Avuncular Uncle” mode, the mode he used when demonstrating his new equipment to Sophie or Meredith- Meredith made a particularly good audience, showing real wonder at whatever he had to show her, though, as he'd discovered when she and Sophie wandered into his laboratory while he was cutting an iron sheet, she was equally entranced by a simple laser cutter with lithium cooling. Some people were so deprived- it was criminal really. “This, my dear, is the mark three cold-containment icer pistol.” Meredith blinked a few times. “It's a freeze gun”. Meredith nodded.

“How does it work?” Sophie called down from the balcony. The Professor grinned happily. “My dear, the physics behind this would make Einstein become a watchmaker. Suffice to say, it projects a magnetically contained field of super-cooled helium at high velocity. Upon hitting a target, the containment breaks down, and the helium is released. The heat flow into the helium is of a sufficient rate to practically guarantee a small area around the target is flash-frozen.”

“Flash-frozen?”

“Ah. I feel a demonstration is in order. Ms Took?”

The lab assistant entered, climbing up the narrow spiral stairs from the level below. She was carrying a red cloth scarf, balling it up into her hands as she walked.

“Today, Ms Took...”

“The standard demonstration?”

“Ah, Ellie. You read my mind again.”

Ellie smiled ruefully, and took up position at the end of the room. “Whenever you're ready.”

The professor smiled, and began fiddling with the freeze gun, before reaching over to adjust some settings on the block of a control panel on the battered desk with spatters of solder beside him. Sophie ran down to stand arm in arm with Meredith, who clutched a scrap of wire-coating nervously.

The professor finished his tweaks, and brought the pistol up to aim from his shoulder. “I should be wearing goggles for this.” He flashed a devil-may-care grin. “Ah, well.” Ellie rolled her eyes. Watch out guys, we've got a badass here. "Ready?”

“Always.”

“Pull!”

I was a bit thrown off as the assistant is first called Ms Took twice and then Ellie throughout, but I assume we've already met her. If we have I've no real criticisms, aside from a couple of run-on sentences (Meredith made a particularly good audience... is 47 words long for instance).

-

My extract:

It was late by the time I got home. Not because of anything silly like staying back to finish all that paperwork, but rather because I’d hidden in my office to make sure I didn’t run into Soni. Don’t get me wrong, I wanted to see her, but after everything else today I was too drained to possibly deal with it. Half stumbling through the door I put my bag and staff away in the near darkness. The room was cast in shades of greys and blues, lit only by the city lights outside and a sliver of moonlight. It made the space feel even more vacant and cold, and a faint shiver ran up my spine. Ignoring the sensation I made my way across the living room to the kitchenette, opening the chiller, it’s internal light glowing yellow. Nothing inspired me enough to care about eating, so I decided a repeat on breakfast would be good enough.

Tanking my meal to the living room I sat on the floor at the base of the couch and switched on the vid, flicking through the channels. Crap, crap, seen it, crap, seen it… here’s something… ‘Regicide players from across the sector are converging, including luminaries all the way from Terra such as…’ Nope. This tournament was proving to be a major pain in the rear end: ruined my day off – check. Ruined my holiday plans – check. Possibly ruined my career – check. Irrevocably caused the ruination of my love life – big old check.

Flicking over I came across one of those horrible late night vidclesiarchy shows, ‘Toufik Xiv and his Salvation Crusade’. They were morbidly entertaining to watch, if only for seeing how they would try and scam thrones from the pathetic losers up this late glued to the vid box. Looking askance at my slack-jawed reflection in the screen I hastily changed the channel.

Dramatic music blared, my flicking having found a poorly made vid about the life of Leman Russ (the primarch, not the tank). His tales had always been my favourite as a youngster with his adventuring, carefree, independent ways. When you want nothing more to get out of where you are it’s not really a surprise to identify with that attitude.
I had a storybook of his adventures, from fishing for the giga-kraken of his home world to besting traitorous abhumans who sought to trap him in their forge. Of course I was forced to give it, along with all my other books and my room to my younger brother. Which really sucks when you live in a two room hab, the other room is your parents and you later have four more brothers… well, let’s just say that some things cannot be unheard.

Up to 15,500 words so far. Slow last couple of days but I'm hoping to get a fair bit in the next couple of days.

TheSummoner
2011-11-15, 02:16 PM
Heh, that was one of those places I tossed in the replacement pronouns since I don't have a name for that character either. Quickly done and sloppily too apparently. Thanks for the catch and double thanks for those name site reccomendations, maybe they'll be helpful. I'll have to double check to make sure I didn't do that anywhere that's going to stay in the final version... In December. (clarification: That character got the pronouns and the second one got the placeholder when I posted it here. I've got my own convention to distinguish them in my word document, but it wouldn't have made much sence posted as is to anyone else.)

Alarra
2011-11-15, 02:21 PM
So... Bout what would you say a good length for a chapter is? Word count or page number or whatever. Mine seem kinda short so I thought I should get opinions. Our ML always splits her 50k novel into roughly 20 chapters of 2500 words and finds that works well. I make my chapters as long as they need to be before the scene changes drastically, ie pov or jumping forward in time. But that leads to wild variations in chapter length, such as my first chapter is 1200 words, my 7th is 12k and not done yet (Wow...hadn't even noticed that. I should probably revisit that one in December and split it up some :smallbiggrin:). I usually aim for between 3-5k words.

I like it, got quite a chukle out of me.
Thanks. Ghani is by far my favorite character that I've written so far. It's kind of a pity that his story isn't featured until the 3rd book in this series. Although Nay's a really good character too... Gah...Her main story's in the 3rd book too! Maybe I should be writing that one right now instead. :smalltongue:

Yours sounds really interesting too. :smallsmile:

Joran
2011-11-15, 03:12 PM
Ah, my first major logic hole in my story. A character left the room, allowing the rest of the characters to hash out an agreement... However, I just realized that the dialogue I was giving to his reticent sister should have been given to him.

Since I'm not editing, (We must go forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.) how should I get him back in the room? ;)

Sanguine
2011-11-15, 03:54 PM
Lots of Fantasy Capitalisation there - took me a couple of re-reads to get the hang of it - a problem with extracts of course. As I said to TheSummoner above some of the capitalisation and punctuation around the quotation marks is a bit wonky. One is when the POV character is talking to Coyote: “Coyote take Manannán..." there should be a comma after 'Coyote'.

Interesting concept from what I can see of the plot :smallsmile:

Thanks for the grammatical tips.:smallsmile:

I didn't realize how much Fantasy Capitalization was in that excerpt until I reread it just now. Well at least I wasn't talking about the Silver Sands of Eternity.

Z3ro
2011-11-15, 05:22 PM
Ah, my first major logic hole in my story. A character left the room, allowing the rest of the characters to hash out an agreement... However, I just realized that the dialogue I was giving to his reticent sister should have been given to him.

Since I'm not editing, (We must go forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.) how should I get him back in the room? ;)

Just do what I've done so far; assume he was always in the room, and just have him there. Then go back later and alter the lines. It's worked great for me when a character had things others gave him but I forgot to write the scene where they were given.

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-15, 05:31 PM

Simple way of getting him back into the room might be to say that he left something behind (a pen, or his coat, or something like that) and came back to collect that item- but got caught up in the conversation... the simple sort of thing that can happen to almost anyone...

Joran
2011-11-15, 05:31 PM
Just do what I've done so far; assume he was always in the room, and just have him there. Then go back later and alter the lines. It's worked great for me when a character had things others gave him but I forgot to write the scene where they were given.

Simple way of getting him back into the room might be to say that he left something behind (a pen, or his coat, or something like that) and came back to collect that item- but got caught up in the conversation... the simple sort of thing that can happen to almost anyone...

That's boring. I think I'll have him hiding in the ceiling and then bungeeing down à la Mission Impossible style.

Or in true NaNoWriMo fashion, have him appear in a burst of smoke like a ninja...

Or... yeah, just have a character remark "I thought you left" and pretend I didn't write earlier that he left the room. The issue is that I gave his lines to his sister, where she shouldn't have been the one advocating his position. Oops. Another boring, seemless type correction would be him re-entering the room and mentioning "Hey, you said exactly what I would have said" or acting surprised that she was slightly out of character.

P.S. I may order a paperback version of this novel JUST SO I CAN BURN IT.

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-15, 05:44 PM
That's boring. I think I'll have him hiding in the ceiling and then bungeeing down à la Mission Impossible style.

Or in true NaNoWriMo fashion, have him appear in a burst of smoke like a ninja...

Or... yeah, just have a character remark "I thought you left" and pretend I didn't write earlier that he left the room. The issue is that I gave his lines to his sister, where she shouldn't have been the one advocating his position. Oops. Another boring, seemless type correction would be him re-entering the room and mentioning "Hey, you said exactly what I would have said" or acting surprised that she was slightly out of character.

P.S. I may order a paperback version of this novel JUST SO I CAN BURN IT.

Well, if you want a more interesting way of bringing him back in, have him caught listening at the door for reasons as yet unknown... Adds a layer of intrigue whilst still standing a chance of maintaining this little thing I call character integrity.

Joran
2011-11-15, 05:46 PM
Well, if you want a more interesting way of bringing him back in, have him caught listening at the door for reasons as yet unknown... Adds a layer of intrigue whilst still standing a chance of maintaining this little thing I call character integrity.

Plot hook, I like it. Listening device is more his style though; he did give his sister a cell phone earlier in the book =)

Ajadea
2011-11-15, 05:49 PM
Excerpts? Okay...

Here: from the dare Write a scene dedicated to boiling an egg
Necessary context: The character in this scene, Julian, is a ghost. He wears special gloves just so he can interact with the world. He has become functionally illiterate and cannot really tell how much pressure he is applying to something, like eggs, for example. Eggs, of course, are a notably fragile food item.

Sighing, he turned around and tried again. Eggs. Probably. What other sort of food came in rectangular containers with lumpy bottoms? Alright. He could boil some eggs, maybe make some egg salad sandwiches for Sandra. How hard could it be? He was considerably more careful this time, not dropping the carton even when the refrigerator beeped again. He put the carton on the counter, next to the pot, and slammed the obnoxious refrigerator shut.

Next, to put the eggs in the pot. He opened up the carton with fumbling fingers. The tabs had not been designed for half - blind people or anyone wearing gloves or anyone with no sense of touch. But after much effort, the carton did open. There were 9 white shapes in it - nine eggs. He lifted one up with a reverence normally bestowed upon treasures such as the Hope Diamond and placed it gently in the bottom of the pot. It rolled to the center. He did the same for the second and the third egg. The fourth one slipped from his already wet 'fingers' and smashed on the counter, dripping yellow egg juice along the dark wood cabinets. "God, why can't anything be simple?" he asked. No response. He hadn't really been expecting one.

He found dishtowels in a drawer next to the sink and picked one up. He wiped at the egg first, and then at the tomato juice on the floor. After a moment of thought, he picked up something that was hopefully cleaning liquid and spilled a bit of it on the floor. Three (he thought it had been three) towels and about twenty minutes or so later, little progress had been made. The tiles and cabinets looked worse somehow, glistening unnaturally bright under the fluorescent light bulbs. Stubbornly, he continued to scrub at the floor.

Ten minutes after that, he remembered that eggs didn't tend to keep well. He tried to add another egg to the pot. He held onto that for only a moment longer before it slipped out of his fingers and broke all over the other eggs. He tried again. That one worked. Seventh egg broke in his fingers, yolk and white oozing through his gloves and his hands. He was about ready to break something. Or go off and sulk. Someone else might have cried. Even if he had been such a baby, he really couldn’t cry, without eyes. How could this be so hard? He'd done this a million times, for his mom, for Michaela, for himself. Eggs were one of the first things he had learned how to cook. How could he be this incompetent now? He turned back to what had to be the sink and tried to wash the egg out of his gloves. The water ran through his fingers. He could feel it, irregular pressure inside each digit. He scrubbed furiously. There was foam, no doubt from the egg white being whipped up by the water. He didn't know whether it was hot or cold. He couldn't feel the temperature.

He somehow managed to get the water turned off and then picked up another of Sandra's towels to try and dry his hands off. The gloves squished deep. An actual hand would have broke. Julian didn't notice. He just kept trying to dry his hands, the gloves, with the towel. The extra weight didn't go away. He did not know how long he stood there, hands wrapped in a towel that had already become quite sodden. Perhaps minutes, perhaps far longer than that. Eventually, he snapped out of it and remembered the eggs, still sitting on the counter.

He picked up the pot, put it in the sink slowly, and turned the water on again. After a few minutes, he picked up the pot, sending a good bit of it slopping over the counter in the process. He shoved the pot onto the burner, somewhere, and hunted for a button to push or a dial to turn. He found one on the side of the stove, and turned it. The burner clicked on. He sighed in relief. He hadn't become completely incompetent. Feeling very exhausted, Julian made his way over to the couch and collapsed. He was fairly sure he couldn't sleep in this state. But a bit of shut - eye didn't look like a half - bad idea. A more observant person would have noticed two things. One, the burner that was lit was not in fact under the pot of eggs. Two, the eggs cooked anyways.

Relevant passage from later in the story that should be setting several warning bells off:

When Sandra returned from her grocery - delivering, she found nine perfectly hard -boiled eggs sitting on the stove, all the burners off, a completely spotless kitchen, and Julian's faint presence collapsed on the couch, completely transparent. His gloves were perfectly clean. All was as she had expected, though the eggs were a nice surprise. She wasn’t surprised Julian had fallen asleep. If he had been honest earlier, he hadn’t slept since he died. She cracked one of the eggs thoughtfully on the table. She would have to remember to thank Julian for cooking them. It was very kind of him to do so.

Mercenary Pen
2011-11-15, 05:54 PM
Plot hook, I like it. Listening device is more his style though; he did give his sister a cell phone earlier in the book =)

Maybe have him instruct his sister in what to say on his behalf then...

tgva8889
2011-11-15, 11:25 PM
I do not want to make a post of an excerpt because I am so afraid of my work right now. It's just not that good! :smallredface:

I am, however, still on track for now. A few words ahead for the next half hour.

TheSummoner
2011-11-16, 03:58 AM
So I figured out that that weird capitalization following quotes was because of the autocorrection in Microsoft Word. Noticed it while typing today. Gonna have to go back through and look for that come December.

Updated wordcount chart. All in all, I'm happy with it. I don't think it's bad for my first NaNoWriMo.
Nov. 1|0|0|1,667|-1,667
Nov. 9|562|4,562|15,000|-10,438
Nov. 10|543|5,105|16,667|-11,562
Nov. 11|504|5,609|18,334|-12,725