gooddragon1
2011-09-21, 01:50 PM
What I've got so far...

Skeleton

Ability Scores: Dex+2 Con +2
Size: Medium
Speed:6
Vision: Normal

Languages: Common, special*( See Unforgotten Heritage)
Skill Bonuses: Intimidate +2, Endurance +2

Resist: Necrotic and Poison equal to 5+1/2 level
Undead Origin: You count as an undead for purposes of effects and abilities that relate to undead.
Unforgotten Heritage: Choose one race as your base race. You speak that race's language and may choose to use that race's Encounter power instead of the one granted by the skeleton race during an encounter. You also count as a member of that race for feats, paragon paths, and magic item effects. You appear as a skeletal version of that race.
+1 to opportunity attacks.

Racial Encounter Power
Skeletal Agility
Immediate Reaction
Trigger: You are bloodied.
Effect: You may shift two squares.

===

Bone Fletcher Class

Striker

Power: Searing Arrows (damage improves with higher ranks of it, requires no ammunition or bow as both are created by this power)
Power: Windwalk (Invisibility + Speed increases with higher ranks)
Encounter Power: Strafe (Increasing extra attacks)
Daily: Death Pact (Kill a bloodied enemy who fails the save and gain bonus HP equal to it's bloodied HP and half this amount in bonus damage for the rest of the day)

===

I don't know how damage works in 4e or extra attacks.
If not invisibility then maybe some sort of harder to see thingy.
Yes I know that there are usually different powers.

The skeleton thingy is from somewhere else on these forums I think or some other forums. The class stuff I made myself. I realize that most classes have different powers as they level up but I didn't really care that much about it. I am trying to recreate Clinkz, The Bone Fletcher (http://www.playdota.com/heroes/bone-fletcher).

The problem I have is that I do not know the mechanics of 4e well enough to predict damage values or the effects of how powerful invisibility, extra attacks, etc... are. That is where I need some homebrew advice.

Treblain
2011-09-21, 03:27 PM
4e homebrew can be a lot of work. In specific, making entire classes is a much more challenging endeavor than in previous editions and is not advised unless you're really serious about it and there is a unique niche you want to fill.

The easiest way to come up with attack values and so on is to follow the example of an existing class. There are some powers and items that grant invisibility or concealment; look at the levels they're given at and the conditions of the invisibility's use.

If you are still unsatisfied with the existing class choices, but don't want to put in all the work, then you can just mix-and-match class features and powers, provided your DM approves. For example: take some of the assassin's invisibility, the ranger's multi-attacks, warlock's Shadow Walk, pacts and eldritch blast, and throw them together. Then compare the product to the original classes. If it seems overpowered compared to other strikers, then raise the levels of the powers or weaken the damage effects until it seems right.

Shadow_Elf
2011-09-24, 04:32 PM
As a player of DotA, I get what you're trying to achieve here. Honestly, I think the best solution is to play a Revenant or Shade for race and a Seeker, Hunter Warlock or Assassin for class (or use multiclassing/hybridizing to make a combo of them) and to equip some kind of fire bow. Making a new class to fit the concept to a T is sure to come out unbalanced (even the rough notes you provided for powers seemed way OP) since DotA is balanced on an entirely different set of rules. Maybe work on a "Bone Fletcher" paragon path to help you refine the concept, but I strongly recommend using the game's existing systems for the character's core.

DragonBaneDM
2011-09-24, 04:47 PM
All of my group's experiments in DotA/4e hybridding have been making the heroes into monsters. It's worked really well and given our party lots of great challenges.

That said, I agree with Shadow_Elf. A homebrew race is do-able, but will be underpowered compared to feat support. EDIT: Your Unforgotten Heritage actually fixes this! Kudos! Just have him play a Ranger, though.

Invisibility against all enemies at low and even middle levels is ridiculously good. Strafe can be simulated through multiple attacks in a round. I'm sure there's a power out there that can simulate Dark Pact, but if you do end up giving it to him, make sure it's benefit only lasts until the end of the fight.

Flaming Arrows from AV2 or a Flaming Weapon can give him the right feel, and Twin Strike and Skirmishing Stance can give a good impression of Strafe. Encourages him to keep moving and gets him extra damage on multiple attacks.

Oh, and he can get a third attack in every round as low as Level 5 with Spitting Cobra! If each round lasts 6 seconds, then he's probably keeping up with how fast the WC3 Clinkz can shoot!

Also, make sure you build an Orchid Mal!! Clinkz doesn't really come with a disable, and Soul Burn is nice! :smalltongue: His concept art for DotA 2 is sooo neat.