PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Cleric Feat- Save them from Death (PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2011-09-21, 05:58 PM
Cheating Death
Prerequisites: Ability to cast the close wounds spell (Spell Compendium), ability to spontaneously cure wounds
Benefit: You may spontaneously convert a 2nd or higher level spell slot into a close wounds spell. This feat allows you to consume a spell slot and cast the spell on the fly as an immediate action as normal, with the following bonus: The spell's healing capabilities increase by 1d4 per spell slot level higher than 2, as well as increasing the caster level cap by 5 for every spell slot level higher than 2. The level of the spell is also treated as the level of the prepared spell sacrificed for both the save DC if cast on undead and any other effects that involve spell level, such as the Augment Healing feat.

(For example, a cleric could spontaneously convert his prepared dispel magic spell into a close wounds spell and cast it, healing an ally for 2d4+CL hit points, max +10, as well as +6 if the cleric had the Augment Healing feat)

The name is a WIP, but what do you all think?

EdroGrimshell
2011-09-21, 06:31 PM
Cheating Death
Prerequisites: Ability to cast the close wounds spell (Spell Compendium), ability to spontaneously cure wounds
Benefit: You may spontaneously convert a 2nd or higher level spell slot into a close wounds spell. This feat allows you to consume a spell slot and cast the spell on the fly as an immediate action as normal, with the following bonus: The spell's healing capabilities increase by 1d4 per spell slot level higher than 2, as well as increasing the caster level cap by 5 for every spell slot level higher than 2. The level of the spell is also treated as the level of the prepared spell sacrificed for both the save DC if cast on undead and any other effects that involve spell level, such as the Augment Healing feat.

(For example, a cleric could spontaneously convert his prepared dispel magic spell into a close wounds spell and cast it, healing an ally for 2d4+CL hit points, max +10, as well as +6 if the cleric had the Augment Healing feat)

The name is a WIP, but what do you all think?

I'd use it even if i wasn't playing a healbot. Being able to save someone from death at the cost of a spell can be useful and, depending on the needs, can actually require a fairly high level investment, so it looks balanced to me.

NeoSeraphi
2011-09-21, 06:34 PM
I'd use it even if i wasn't playing a healbot. Being able to save someone from death at the cost of a spell can be useful and, depending on the needs, can actually require a fairly high level investment, so it looks balanced to me.

The feat itself is intended for non-healbots, as healbots would actually prepare close wounds to save their allies. But thank you for your support.

channingman
2011-09-21, 06:38 PM
But wouldn't using the feat actually be more beneficial than preparing it? Not saying anything bad about the feat, but it does make it more beneficial to *not* prepare the spell, but rather to spontaneously cast it.

NeoSeraphi
2011-09-21, 06:44 PM
But wouldn't using the feat actually be more beneficial than preparing it? Not saying anything bad about the feat, but it does make it more beneficial to *not* prepare the spell, but rather to spontaneously cast it.

That's true, but someone who is preparing the spell every day doesn't need to waste a feat on it, and clerics receive almost no bonus feats (They get some domain feats if they choose, but otherwise none)

EdroGrimshell
2011-09-21, 06:46 PM

Exactly, it frees up slots for other spells that are able to be used in more circumstances which can be spent to keep an ally alive instead of the other spell. It is very useful as such.

NeoSeraphi
2011-09-21, 06:56 PM
Exactly, it frees up slots for other spells that are able to be used in more circumstances which can be spent to keep an ally alive instead of the other spell. It is very useful as such.

Yes...but is that worth a feat? It's an option, sure, but I've played clerics before and I found myself always itching for every feat level quicker than I did in other classes like fighters and rogues.