PDA

View Full Version : The Hunter (3.5 E6 base class, PEACH)

Gnorman
2011-09-27, 04:23 AM
The Hunter

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/9228/archerfemale441x800.jpg

The archer archetype has always faltered in D&D 3.5, mainly due to an overwhelming lack of one thing: damage potential. Most archers depend on multiple attacks, but the damage is low and creatures with DR usually force them to sit on the sidelines. Most archers were pushed into classes with precision damage simply to keep up. I wanted an archer that addressed that problem, and was able to cause the massive damage that a well-placed arrow should! High base attack bonus and the ability to power attack with ranged weapons keep damage high, and the ability to ignore damage reduction (to a certain point) should keep them viable even against hardier foes. As for the archetypes, the ranger was the one who should have gotten the full animal companion, not the druid, and the beastmaster archetype reflects that. The sniper embraces a quiet, stealthy style of combat, harrying the foe from one hiding spot to another, while the peltast focuses on general mobility and thrown weapons.

HD: d8
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Craft, Escape Artist, Handle Animal, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (local), Knowledge (nature), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Ride, Search, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope
Skill Points: 6 + Int per level (4x at 1st)

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Archetype, Deadly Aim

2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Lesser Archetype Power

3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Hawkeye

4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Moderate Archetype Power

5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Penetration

6th|+6/+1|+5|+5|+2|Greater Archetype Power, Unerring Shot[/table]

Proficiencies: The hunter is proficient with light armor and bucklers. He is also proficient with simple and martial weapons.

Archetype: At 1st level, the hunter chooses an archetype from the list below. He gains the advantages and abilities of the archetype at the appropriate levels, as indicated in the list. Once made, this choice is final.

Deadly Aim: At 1st level, the hunter may add his Dexterity modifier to damage rolls when using ranged weapons. He may also, before attacking in a round choose to subtract a number from all ranged attack rolls and add that number to ranged damage rolls. This number may not exceed his base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage last until his next turn. If he is wielding a two-handed weapon, he may instead add twice the number subtracted to his damage rolls.

Lesser Archetype Power: At 2nd level, the hunter gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Hawkeye: At 3rd level, the hunter takes half the normal penalty (-1 instead of -2) for each range increment beyond the second, and takes no penalties whatsoever for the second, effectively doubling his normal range. He also gains a +5 bonus to Spot checks to detect hidden foes or foes at long range.

Moderate Archetype Power: At 4th level, the hunter gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Penetration: At 5th level, a hunter may ignore 5 points of his opponent's damage reduction when using ranged attacks or one-handed piercing weapons.

Greater Archetype Power: At 6th level, the hunter gains the appropriate power for his archetype.

Unerring Shot: Three times per day, the hunter may ignore all penalties for cover (except total cover), concealment, or range for one ranged attack against an opponent. If that attack hits, it bypasses any and all damage reduction the opponent possesses.

Archetypes:

Beastmaster
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/completechampion_gallery/104773.jpg

Lesser Archetype Power: A beastmaster gains the Animal Companion ability as a druid of his level. He also gains the ability to heal his companion once per day as a full-round action, restoring ten hit points per hunter level.
Moderate Archetype Power: Even if a beastmaster does not possess Precise Shot, he takes no penalties for firing into melee if his companion is the one engaging his target - he instead gains a +2 bonus to attack for doing so. He never risks hitting his companion. A beastmaster is also treated as being three levels higher for the purposes of its animal companion.
Greater Archetype Power: A beastmaster gains a second animal companion as a druid of 1st level. His moderate ability applies to this ability, allowing him to choose his second companion from the list available to 4th level druids. He may now heal his companions three times per day as a full-round action (in total, not per companion), restoring ten hit points per hunter level.

Deadeye
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/DrowUnderdark_Gallery/104444.jpg

Lesser Archetype Power: A deadeye gains the ability to initiate maneuvers as a warblade of the same level. His maneuver progression (both known and readied) and recovery mechanics are the same as a warblade. The disciplines available to him are Shadow Hand, Tiger Claw, and two of the following: Black Rain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5471518), Dancing Leaf (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85614), Falling Star (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10707), Solar Arrow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193295), or Scarlet Rose (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7232363#post7232363). In addition, the deadeye gains proficiency with the hand crossbow and one-handed firearms, and may reload either as a free action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
Moderate Archetype Power: A deadeye may make attacks of opportunity with hand crossbows or one-handed firearms as if they threatened a range of ten feet, and does not provoke attacks of opportunity for using a ranged weapon while using such weapons.
Greater Archetype Power: A deadeye may make the following combat maneuvers with ranged weapons without taking a penalty to the roll: disarm, sunder, and trip. If the maneuver requires a melee touch attack, the deadeye may substitute a ranged touch attack.

Peltast
http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs22/i/2008/016/a/0/Peltast___by_Wiggers123.jpg
Lesser Archetype Power: A peltast gains the Skirmish ability as a Scout of the same level. He also may draw new thrown weapons as a free action.
Moderate Archetype Power: A peltast may apply half of his Skirmish damage against foes normally immune to precision damage. He may also attack two opponents at once - if he hits his opponent with a thrown weapon, any opponent that occupies the square behind it (i.e., in the opposite direction that the attack originated from) is also treated as being attacked. The peltast only makes one attack roll, and the result is used against both opponents. If he misses the first opponent, the second opponent is not harmed, even if it would normally have been a hit.
Greater Archetype Power: A peltast may make a full attack action as a standard action, but only with thrown weapons and only after moving at least ten feet in the same round.

Sniper
http://www.ericdeschamps.com/Clients/DnD/Wizards-Presents/111125-Shifter-MaleRangerV2.jpg

Lesser Archetype Power: A sniper only takes a -10 penalty when sniping, and may attempt to hide after making a ranged attack as a swift action. He may also attempt to move at his full speed while hiding without taking the normal -5 penalty on the check.
Moderate Archetype Power: If a sniper successfully attacks an opponent who is completely unaware of his presence, the attack is an automatic critical hit. Even if the opponent is aware of the sniper's presence, as long as the opponent does not know the sniper's exact location, he is treated as flat-footed against the sniper's ranged attacks.
Greater Archetype Power: A sniper may hide without cover or concealment as long he is in natural terrain.

Stalker
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/compscoundrel_gallery/102040.jpg

Lesser Archetype Power: A stalker gains the ability to set traps in a square he occupies as a full-round action. He may set traps with a level equal to his hit dice divided by two (minimum of one). Unless otherwise noted, traps are set off when someone steps in the square they were set in, and they have a save DC of 10 + half the stalker's HD + the stalker's Intelligence modifier. Opponents may become aware of them with a successful Spot check, or if they witness the stalker setting them. A stalker may have a number of active traps equal to his class level plus his Intelligence modifier. In addition, a stalker gains Track as a bonus feat and receives the Trapfinding ability of a rogue of his level.
Moderate Archetype Power: A stalker may now set traps as a standard action, and his traps are harder to spot, offering a +5 bonus to their spot DC.
Greater Archetype Power: A stalker gains the woodland stride and swift tracker abilities of an 8th-level ranger.

Traps

Level One (Spot DC: 15)
Poison Dart
If an enemy sets off a poison dart trap, they suffer 1d6 damage and must make a Fortitude save or be afflicted with greenblood oil poison.

Razorwire
If an enemy sets off a razorwire trap, they suffer 2d6 slashing damage and are knocked prone. A Reflex save halves the damage and prevents them from being knocked prone. A razorwire trap may be set across two squares.

Vinesnare
If an enemy sets off a vinesnare trap, they must make a Reflex save or be entangled for three rounds.

Level Two (Spot DC: 20)
Acidvial
If an enemy sets off an acidvial trap, they suffer 2d6 acid damage immediately and suffer 2 acid damage per round for the next three rounds. A Reflex save halves the initial damage and negates the recurring damage.

Fireburst
If an enemy sets off a fireburst trap, all in a five-foot radius suffer 3d6 fire damage and risk being set on fire. A Reflex save halves the damage and prevents them from being set on fire.

Frosthold
If an enemy sets off a frosthold trap, they suffer 2d6 cold damage and are be frozen in place, unable to move or act, for one round. A Fortitude save halves the damage and negates the freezing effect.

Level Three (Spot DC: 25)
Explosive
If an enemy sets off an explosive trap, all in a five-foot radius suffer 3d6 fire damage and 3d6 piercing damage and are knocked prone. A Reflex save halves the damage and prevents them from being knocked prone.

Deadfall
If an enemy sets off a deadfall trap, they suffer 6d6 bludgeoning damage and are pinned beneath rubble for one round. A Reflex save prevents the pinning, but does not prevent the damage.

Vicious Poison
If an enemy sets off a vicious poison dart trap, they suffer 2d6 piercing damage and must make a Fortitude save or be afflicted with black adder venom.

Dryad
2011-09-27, 05:24 AM
Looking great, so far. Two dead levels, but I understand it's still in the works. :)

One hint: The Beastmaster receives the bonus from Precise Shot at third level. This means that the Precise Shot feat, which is pretty much mandatory, should not be taken at first level.
Of course; I understand that, for non-human Beastmasters, the Precise Shot feat would have to wait until third level anyway, seeing as another feat is the prerequisite. Still; this does mean that until third level, a Beastmaster would be pretty much confined to melee combat after the initial ranged attack has been made.

I don't quite know what I'm trying to say here, but I do experience this as a slight problem; the Hunter would have to change her playstyle from melee to ranged on mid-level. Is it a problem? I don't really know... I am conflicted. :P

Also, the Hunter artwork makes me jealous. :P

Spiryt
2011-09-27, 05:40 AM
On that stage of development, only few quick notes:

Moderate power of sniper is obviously greatly biased towards higher crit gear. So no crossbow for sniper, which doesn't seem like that great limitation.

Anyway, your pic under "Peltast" is quite obviously some hoplite, so I don't know if it fits. Also, the first picture for sniper was way better, IMO. :smalltongue::smallwink:

Gnorman
2011-09-27, 05:52 AM
Looking great, so far. Two dead levels, but I understand it's still in the works. :)

One hint: The Beastmaster receives the bonus from Precise Shot at third level. This means that the Precise Shot feat, which is pretty much mandatory, should not be taken at first level.
Of course; I understand that, for non-human Beastmasters, the Precise Shot feat would have to wait until third level anyway, seeing as another feat is the prerequisite. Still; this does mean that until third level, a Beastmaster would be pretty much confined to melee combat after the initial ranged attack has been made.

I don't quite know what I'm trying to say here, but I do experience this as a slight problem; the Hunter would have to change her playstyle from melee to ranged on mid-level. Is it a problem? I don't really know... I am conflicted. :P

Also, the Hunter artwork makes me jealous. :P

Working on the dead levels - I still haven't even added the main class features. The beastmaster will have the normal hunter abilities to encourage it to focus on ranged combat. I'm still not sold on the fourth level ability, but until I come up with something better, that's what we got.

Anyway, your pic under "Peltast" is quite obviously some hoplite, so I don't know if it fits. Also, the first picture for sniper was way better, IMO.

That first sniper picture was quite large! Kind of threw off the formatting on my end. Aaaaand let's not get too caught up in historical accuracy - the class might as well be called Javelineer, and the picture's just for flavor anyhow.

Spiryt
2011-09-27, 05:55 AM
That first sniper picture was quite large! Kind of threw off the formatting on my end. Aaaaand let's not get too caught up in historical accuracy - the class might as well be called Javelineer, and the picture's just for flavor anyhow.

I was not really about accuracy, only that this guy on picture has obviously melee stuff, not any sort of throw-able spear. Although I don't know what will be archetypes abilities still, all in all. :smallwink:

And I guess I missed the very first, I was talking about hobgobliny looking dude, with nice bow, and general very hidden shooter feel.

Gnorman
2011-09-27, 05:56 AM
I was not really about accuracy, only that this guy on picture has obviously melee stuff, not any sort of throw-able spear. Although I don't know what will be archetypes abilities still, all in all. :smallwink:

And I guess I missed the very first, I was talking about hobgobliny looking dude, with nice bow, and general very hidden shooter feel.

Those work better for ya?

Spiryt
2011-09-27, 06:08 AM
Yeah, that's some nice art.

Anyway, from meaningful stuff, I think that class could use a Search CS, the Sniper archetype at least. Anyone who tried shooting arrows outside will quickly understand how invaluable skill it is for archer. :smalltongue::smallwink:

As far as abilities go, can't see problem with them so far.

Gnorman
2011-09-27, 06:10 AM
Yeah, that's some nice art.

Anyway, from meaningful stuff, I think that class could use a Search CS, the Sniper archetype at least. Anyone who tried shooting arrows outside will quickly understand how invaluable skill it is for archer. :smalltongue::smallwink:

Oversight on my part. It's practically the most valuable skill you can have! Grumble grumble stupid tall grass and arrows stuck in the dirt...

gkathellar
2011-09-27, 06:23 AM
Deadly Aim should be coming in at first level, but your table lists it at 2nd and your text doesn't specify either way.

Quite good, though. You certainly work fast — although if you're doing the peltast as a Hunter archetype, what's the third one for the Vanguard going to be?

Spiryt
2011-09-27, 06:33 AM
I think that range thing in Hawkeye may get a little wonky... It 'normal' game it may doesn't look like that, but at just 3 level, shooting something with longbow at 600 feet suddenly becomes - 2 instead of - 10 which is quite a difference on low levels of E6... Then enter really obscene ranges with few feats...

I think that this could be Snipers thing, if needed. Sniping is all about range, all in all.

As far as Peltas goes, ability to charge with thrown weapons would fit javelin or similar stuff perfectly, and would give some nice build possibilities.

Gnorman
2011-09-27, 06:37 AM
I think that range thing in Hawkeye may get a little wonky... It 'normal' game it may doesn't look like that, but at just 3 level, shooting something with longbow at 600 feet suddenly becomes - 2 instead of - 10 which is quite a difference on low levels of E6... Then enter really obscene ranges with few feats...

I think that this could be Snipers thing, if needed. Sniping is all about range, all in all.

As far as Peltas goes, ability to charge with thrown weapons would fit javelin or similar stuff perfectly, and would give some nice build possibilities.

200 yards is actually pretty reasonable, considering historical models (English longbowmen routinely hit a range of 400 yards, though admittedly accuracy was practically impossible at that distance). Still, the doubling thing may be a bit much.

Spiryt
2011-09-27, 06:56 AM
200 yards is actually pretty reasonable, considering historical models (English longbowmen routinely hit a range of 400 yards, though admittedly accuracy was practically impossible at that distance). Still, the doubling thing may be a bit much.

Well, historical models or not, with that one can easily shoot at 1100 some yards, with just Far Shot, so that's a bit much indeed.... Suitable for more epic levels, I think.

So yeas, limiting the penalties, without actually boosting total range seems good.

And with Mary Rose replica bows current range record is some 370 yards, just for the record.

Also, I guess that Beastmaster could use Heal skill, just for fluff and Companion utility.

Morph Bark
2011-09-27, 10:28 AM
First-level ability currently says "the hunter may add his Dexterity modifier to damage rolls instead of his Strength modifier when using ranged weapons".

The way this is worded, Dex replaces Str for damage.

One problem: ranged weapons usually don't get your Strength modifier to them, so with this wording you get no benefit at all. (Thrown weapons aren't classified as ranged weapons even though they have range increments.)

Wording it like "the hunter may add his Dexterity modifier to damage rolls when using ranged weapons, unless he already gets his Strength modifier to the damage roll - in that case he may replace his Strength modifier with his Dexterity modifier" might be better instead.

Also, I forgot one thing about thrown weapons: do you use Str or Dex for the attack roll?

Eldest
2011-09-27, 10:51 AM
One problem: the beast master level 6 ability says you add 3 to your level for the animal companion, which would bring you to 9. It then says it stacks with Natural Bond, but your level cannot be raised over 9. So... you can have Natural Bond, and it would be effective, but... its not.
Did that make any sense?

gkathellar
2011-09-27, 11:14 AM
One problem: the beast master level 6 ability says you add 3 to your level for the animal companion, which would bring you to 9. It then says it stacks with Natural Bond, but your level cannot be raised over 9. So... you can have Natural Bond, and it would be effective, but... its not.

You're right. Since you need at least 6 hunter levels to gain that ability, your Companion's level is going to be 9 without Natural Bond, meaning it doesn't actually stack.

Eldest
2011-09-27, 12:40 PM
You might want to fix that, then...

Gnorman
2011-09-27, 04:25 PM
Did that make any sense?

The intention was more for a beastmaster to choose a higher level pet and not be penalized, but yeah my math is all screwy. I'm not actually sure what the natural bond clause was intended to do. I'll change the wording.

First-level ability currently says "the hunter may add his Dexterity modifier to damage rolls instead of his Strength modifier when using ranged weapons".

Fixed. And thrown weapons still use the Dex modifier.