PDA

View Full Version : Reaver [3.5 PEACHy]

gooddragon1
2011-09-30, 01:51 AM
I am continuing my attempts at a simple class. My last one was ridiculed for being too lacking. So I am attempting it again with this:
Reaver (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Reaver_%28Variant_1%29%283.5e_Class%29)

So does this one look better?

GFawkes
2011-09-30, 03:39 AM
Reavers? I don't wanna go near any gorram Reavers.

Sorry, I had to. As for the class itself, I'd say spread out the different types of Claw enhancements. For example, don't give a 100% chance of a critical against anything before level 10. Also, try to keep a constant pattern with the abilities. It's OK to have a blank level every here and there.

gooddragon1
2011-09-30, 03:59 AM
Reavers? I don't wanna go near any gorram Reavers.

Sorry, I had to. As for the class itself, I'd say spread out the different types of Claw enhancements. For example, don't give a 100% chance of a critical against anything before level 10. Also, try to keep a constant pattern with the abilities. It's OK to have a blank level every here and there.

A quote from firefly I expect... but you've activated my trap card! Oh... wait... nvm it's a magic card and I since this isn't magic the gathering I don't have the mana to play it :(.

On a more serious note: I have spread out the metabolism bonus to every odd level and the crit piercing to 2, 6, 10, 14.

How does it look now?

Mangles
2011-09-30, 09:35 PM
I wouldn't take this class. It is in my opinion pretty terrible. The BAB repeating Claws is a good step, as well as the crits to enemies that can't normally be hit. The rest of the Claw enchantments basically allow you to negate whatever DR/resistance a creature has. I mean what has DR/Magic and resitance force and resistance sonic. Metabolic control is a pretty terrible ability. You may as well just give it fast healing instead as that is much more useful and a lot less book keeping, and unfortunately that is the end of the class.

If i was forced to play this class I would beg borrow and scrape to be let out of it before level 16. The last 4 levels add even less to this class and it has no real capstone.

Now I could like where this class should go. I love claw based natural weapon classes, and you have addressed some of their downfalls, but you haven't put any flavour or utility into this class at all. What is this class meant to be? Is it just mindless attacking or is it a hunter.

If it is just mindless attacking, why not include a rage style ability, bigger claws when raging, pounce with claws, rake rend. Check the feral template for some ideas their. It does this class and more for 1 LA.

If its a hunter style class, why not track, natural armour, extra movement types, or abilities to help movement types. Check out the Shifter races from Eberron for ideas in that regard.

Craft and Profession are usually added as skills to every class because of their less useful nature, but if you want to leave them out I wouldn't hold it against you.

This class you have created is probably a tier 5 class. And if you left the BAB allowing extra attacks out it would be a tier 6. Really If I wanted to play this class I would play a Feral Shifter Druid using the shifter variant, and I have played that, it was heaps of fun. I don't think this class could achieve that though.

Veklim
2011-10-01, 05:43 AM
I agree with pretty much everything Mangles has said up there /\

If you want this to be a serious choice in a game, you need four things:

1. More selection on the skills, and perhaps 4+int as well. I'd suggest hide, move silently, profession, craft and tumble. They have no armour proficiencies so Dex should be pretty damned high, as such, these skills are essential.

2. Better choices on a form of defence, every other class out there (including all homebrew I can actually remember!) has SOME WAY of upping AC, this class has none without serious drawbacks and the need for a feat.

3. Some choice over how the claws evolve. You want a list about 3 times as long for the enhancements, and a good choice over which ones you want.

4. Movement is a real issue, these guys are twin weilding natural weapons with no armour and a neccessarily high strength AND dex, they should DEFINITELY have fast movement here.

Hanuman
2011-10-01, 01:39 PM
As it stands, this is a tier 5 class, MAYBE tier 4.

Personally I don't see much flavor in a class that says "I regenerate and have claws." when source content can do this more effectively, at a higher tier and has abundances of supported and source content/homebrew for.

Owrtho
2011-10-01, 02:33 PM
Looking at it, I'd have to agree with many of the above comments. I'd also add the following:
Skills should also likely have survival in addition to the other suggestions. As it is, the class seems somewhat feral, so the ability to forge for food, track, and live in the wild would seem to fit.

On the claws attacks. First, you seem to be completely changing how natural attacks generally work. That said, it isn't inherently bad, but with the changes you should likely note some things such as if they add strength to damage. Similarly, you may want to specify what would happen if they were a larger (or smaller) size than medium or take Improved Natural Attack (claw), though I'd assume it would just advance the damage die a step ahead (or behind if smaller).

As mentioned, they lack any real AC or defensive abilities. Given they have large claws which may be assumed to be strong enough to not be cut by metal, I'd suggest adding an ability to be ready to catch oncoming attacks if they decided not to attack with one or both claws during and since their last turn (not counting attacks of opportunity), that would grant them a scaling AC bonus (which would be double if they didn't attack with either claw), and would grant them an attack of opportunity with 1 claw if the opponent is in range (and they still have attacks of opportunity remaining for the round).

I'd also note the class needs a capstone, though without any real flavour for it defined so far, I don't really have any suggestions for it.

All that said, I like the idea of a class that focuses on claw attacks, but as it stands this is rather weak.

Owrtho.