PDA

View Full Version : Batman: The Brave and the Bold thread

Elrik
2011-10-01, 01:15 AM
So, I don't normally watch this show and I usually just do the 'pretentious chin raise' whenever it comes on. I was bored after what seemed like endless college work and turned it on to find that the newest episode tonight was about Aquaman and Ryan Choi (second character to take up the Atom costume). I thought the banther between the two to be hilarious, and the beginning (Aquaman style sitcm where he sings to the dolphins and has his son send Black Manta to jail as if he was a mischevious tresspsser) was funnier than anything I'd seen this month that didn't include severe profanity.* I'm probably going to start watching this series fridays, anyone else watching it currently or enjoying it?

*(I'm talking about the Charlie Sheen roast, which had tastless jokes and constant shots at Seth macfarlane, which were great).

Friv
2011-10-01, 01:45 AM
I am a huge Brave and the Bold fan. Sadly, if you live outside of the US, it is already over forever - Season 3 has only thirteen episodes, all of which have aired.

Fortunately, there are DVD sales. Because this show is totally worth it.

(And yeah, Aquaman is pretty awesome in this show, which is always a nice accomplishment. But wait till you meet Booster Gold.

Oh, wait. No more Booster episodes. You'll have to wait for reruns or find the episodes online. Does Cartoon Network do legal streaming?)

Sanguine
2011-10-01, 02:55 AM
I agree with everything Friv said. All of it.

Also: "Batman does not eat nachos!":smallbiggrin:

V'icternus
2011-10-01, 04:18 AM
:smallmad:

Batman.

Always Batman.

Always driving villains bats!

I love animated Batman shows. They are all amazing.

Devonix
2011-10-01, 06:50 AM
So, I don't normally watch this show and I usually just do the 'pretentious chin raise' whenever it comes on. I was bored after what seemed like endless college work and turned it on to find that the newest episode tonight was about Aquaman and Ryan Choi (second character to take up the Atom costume). I thought the banther between the two to be hilarious, and the beginning (Aquaman style sitcm where he sings to the dolphins and has his son send Black Manta to jail as if he was a mischevious tresspsser) was funnier than anything I'd seen this month that didn't include severe profanity.* I'm probably going to start watching this series fridays, anyone else watching it currently or enjoying it?

*(I'm talking about the Charlie Sheen roast, which had tastless jokes and constant shots at Seth macfarlane, which were great).

I blame YOU yes you personally for the loss of this show. :smallfurious:

I kid I kid well only some. This is what happens we whine and moan about how everything is the same and that there are no original ideas or programs and then when one does come on people brush it aside because it doesn't fit into a box they've constructed. Do you know how long it took me to convince some people to watch Brave and the Bold. :smallfrown:

Batman doesn't have to be angsty all the time. Hell Comic book Batman isn't angsty all the time.

Dienekes
2011-10-01, 10:51 AM
The show is discontinued? OUTRAGEOUS!

A fan of the show, though sadly because of time constraints and lack of a legal means of viewing it I've only seen a handful of episodes.

I'll admit to liking BTAS better, but this show was awesome and kept me entertained. I knew I'd like it when the first episode I saw involved gorilla's flying dinosaurs. It was glorious.

Aotrs Commander
2011-10-01, 02:02 PM
I admit, I have not warmed to the show very fast - mostly, I think, because I seem only to catch the same set of episodes (and I've missed a lot of the highlights - the homage to Silver Age Superman was one I caught the end of, and was in hysterics, having seen Superdickery.com and recognising all the covers they were spoofing...)

I think it is majorly let down by having the single worst title sequence I have EVER seen in an animation (or anything else, nearly) in my unlife. It is absolutely dreadful, and it does the show a huge disservice. (It certainly put me off for a long while.)

Ravens_cry
2011-10-01, 03:27 PM
I haven't seen much of it, but hey, it's intriguing to see a Batman that is less grim then recent adaptations. And by recent, I mean anything in the last 20 or more years.
It is certainly a brave and bold move.

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-01, 03:29 PM
I admit, I have not warmed to the show very fast - mostly, I think, because I seem only to catch the same set of episodes (and I've missed a lot of the highlights - the homage to Silver Age Superman was one I caught the end of, and was in hysterics, having seen Superdickery.com and recognising all the covers they were spoofing...)

I think it is majorly let down by having the single worst title sequence I have EVER seen in an animation (or anything else, nearly) in my unlife. It is absolutely dreadful, and it does the show a huge disservice. (It certainly put me off for a long while.)

It is a really awesome show, the Superman one is just too epic. (Luthor was fat though. :smallyuk:)

The Joker episode, if they did the theme right, would have been creepy as hell with the "haha's" on the walls. :smalleek: They didn't, naturally, but IF. IF.

Mando Knight
2011-10-01, 03:50 PM
Batman.

Always Batman.

Always driving villains bats! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwYjGDIWlNw)
Fixed with link!

Sanguine
2011-10-01, 08:42 PM
Fixed with link!

I didn't know NPH played the Music Meister. That is awesome.

Mando Knight
2011-10-01, 09:08 PM
I didn't know NPH played the Music Meister. That is awesome.

Who else would sing the song that we all want to hear (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_q1SdaWLlw)?

Elrik
2011-10-01, 09:20 PM
I blame YOU yes you personally for the loss of this show. :smallfurious:

NO NO NO! PLEASE, I NOW SEE THE GREATNESS OF AQUAMAN AND THE HUMOR OF THIS SHOW! DO NOT TAKE THIS AWAY FROM MEEEE!!

I kid I kid well only some. This is what happens we whine and moan about how everything is the same and that there are no original ideas or programs and then when one does come on people brush it aside because it doesn't fit into a box they've constructed. Do you know how long it took me to convince some people to watch Brave and the Bold. :smallfrown:

Batman doesn't have to be angsty all the time. Hell Comic book Batman isn't angsty all the time.

I actually like experimentation when it comes to animated tv shows. Making character concept different but still interesting (but not like whoever created The Joker for The Batman series back in 2004, that version was just meh). Spectacular Spiderman and Young Justice lack the nostalgia factor for me, but I'm slowly groing fond of them, and I remember not liking the Batman Beyond concept at first (all of my favorite villains are now old or DEAD!), but it grew on me.

I guess my initial distaste with Brave and the Bold was that, watching the first episodes, I didn't feel anything besides a cartoon directed at children without anything unique, but then I saw their version of Aquaman...and--they managed to make Aquaman cool, funny, and boisterious?

I then realized that the show was just trying to have fun with the additional potential of the 'silver age' feeling, and now I want to see more :smallfrown:.

Mando Knight
2011-10-01, 09:35 PM
NO NO NO! PLEASE, I NOW SEE THE GREATNESS OF AQUAMAN AND THE HUMOR OF THIS SHOW! DO NOT TAKE THIS AWAY FROM MEEEE!!

TOO LATE! (Really. The US is gearing up for our premiers of the last 6 episodes of the series. After that, it's up to everyone writing letters to DC to get the thing un-cancelled.)

Also, FLIRTERERS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkkyualjFHA)!

Atcote
2011-10-01, 09:58 PM
This is one of my favourite shows out there; I've been a Batman fan for so long, and I was driven by the 'seriousness' of the character for a very long time. But this show is just so fun. It makes me laugh every episode, the action is always over the top and awesome, and the characters. Oh, the characters.

That, and 'Chill of the Night' is perhaps the greatest retellings of Batman's origins I've seen committed to film (though I haven't seen how Batman: Year One did with its adaption yet).

H Birchgrove
2011-10-02, 12:37 PM
Oh, wait. No more Booster episodes. You'll have to wait for reruns or find the episodes online. Does Cartoon Network do legal streaming?)

Not for non-Americans, sadly.

Hopeless
2011-10-02, 01:14 PM
TOO LATE! (Really. The US is gearing up for our premiers of the last 6 episodes of the series. After that, it's up to everyone writing letters to DC to get the thing un-cancelled.)

Thanks for the link!

PS: I didn't know this has been released, fortunately I can rectify at least the first 3 volumes at least!

V'icternus
2011-10-02, 01:55 PM
Fixed with link!

Why thank you. :smallbiggrin:

I've personally been working my way through all of the Batman series I can find. Brave and the Bold seems to be the most...
Fun. :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2011-10-02, 10:43 PM
Also, Alfred writes Batman fanfiction and ships Bat/Cat. This is fact.

Tirian
2011-10-03, 12:09 AM

I get that the insipid dialog is supposed to be a part of the charm, but it really takes me out of the scene when Green Arrow is doing the exact same voice he does as Ratchet. It's not that James Arnold Taylor doesn't have range, so it must be the director who doesn't care.

H Birchgrove
2011-10-03, 06:05 AM
Also, Alfred writes Batman fanfiction and ships Bat/Cat. This is fact.

Whoa. Just... whoa.