PDA

View Full Version : DC Reboot again

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-04, 01:39 AM
Okay, I have now actually bought all the ones I am interested in except Suicide Squad (because I want to see if the new characterization of Harley is as awful as her new costume). Not bad, actually.

Batgirl:

Okay, so in this new continuum Barbara was paralyzed for three years, and then spontaneously started to heal. I guess I can buy that; odd things happens IRL too. She still has a trauma about being shot though, and doesn't react well to having a gun pointed at her.

Not the best situation when you try to reclaim your superhero career.

I am still pissed about them removing Stephanie Brown, but this is very good. 4/5.

Birds of Prey:

Not sure what to think here. I loved the old lineup, and as far as I can tell only Black Canary is left of that one. I don't know enough about these other women yet to have an opinion but I will stay with it for a while.

I REALLY miss Lady Blackhawk. Let's face it, she is basically Fem!Shep.

2/5 but given another try or two.

Wonder Woman:

The art is wonderful. The story... In Medias Res, and not from Diana's perspective. We are jumping right into Greek Pantheon Politics that will affect earth directly. No slow intro here; it seems Zeus is back to his old-school tricks and will cause a ruckus for everyone.

4/5.

Red Hood and the Outlaws:

Again, not sure what to make of this one. I mainly bought it because of impulse (not Impulse, but... you know what I mean); I haven't read anything with a Teen Titan member in it since the 80ies and a lot of people complained about how they treated Starfire in it.

I have no real opinion of her (I haven't followed her character developement since well, she was sold into slavery to begin with) except that I admit to be slightly disappointed she was wearing a bikini in the pool. Canon has more or less established her as a nudist by heart so... :smallwink::smallredface:

Anyway, 2/5 but will get at least one more issue before making my mind up.

Supergirl:

This is... really good. Surprisingly good, even. A complete restart and we get to see a Kryptonian experiencing yellow sunlight for the first time.

5/5.

Voodoo:

Wait a minute. Voodoo, my least favorite WILDCAT gets a title of her own in the main DC universe. Why not someone interesting?

A lot of fanservice, which is to be expected with this character.
Then some more fanservice. Finally some fanDIService and then a twist ending.

...1/5.

Not buying that one again.

hamlet
2011-10-04, 07:21 AM
I have the new Batman, Superman, and Green Lantern.

Not terrible. Thinking of dropping Green Lantern entirely, even after only one issue. It just kind of reaffirms that this isn't really quite my style of comic, but since I paid for 12 issues up front, I might as well see what twelve issues gets me.

Superman was . . . interesting. Went virtually nowhere except with a plot element that was impossible to understand unless I had been reading another comic, which is enough to incense me. Still, "superman fights great big monster and wins" seems . . . unfulfilling.

Batman, though, was a rather pleasant surprise. Nice setup . . . sorta. Intro to a nice detective style story line, which I'm looking forward to rather than the overused "Batman is the baddest badass in all the world" stories.

Insanely dissapointed, though in retrospect unreasonably, that the "New #1's" aren't entirely new starts to the comics, just restarting the numbering sequence at the start of new story lines. Don't know why this dissapoints me as I should have expected it, but seriously, it's kind of a jerk bait and switch move on the part of DC. Would have been nice to know who the three young folks with Batman were beyond the info dump via contact lens thing.

In the end, depending on how things pan out, I'm probably dropping all but Batman and sticking with it.

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-04, 08:08 AM
Insanely dissapointed, though in retrospect unreasonably, that the "New #1's" aren't entirely new starts to the comics, just restarting the numbering sequence at the start of new story lines. Don't know why this dissapoints me as I should have expected it, but seriously, it's kind of a jerk bait and switch move on the part of DC. Would have been nice to know who the three young folks with Batman were beyond the info dump via contact lens thing.

But that's the point and the main problem with this thing I have had from the beginning: SOME of the comics are total reboots (Supergirl is a COMPLETE reboot*. Batgirl is a reboot, but acknowledges the events of the Killing Joke in the backstory) and then you have others that don't reboot their continuity.

How DC will make sense of that I have no idea.

She crashes to earth "on her way to a party" (she has been unconcious for a LONG time and don't know Krypton is gone, apparently).

She wakes up in the mountains, and realizes it is not Krypton because of the snow, something she has not seen since she was a very little kid (due to weather control or global warming I don't know). Then she gets into a fight with what she thinks are robots (security forces in power armor) and realize they speak a langue she doesn't understand (English), and barely holds her own until dawn when she gets terrified. The sun... is WRONG (yellow, not red, something she has never seen) and then her body starts... changing, freaking her out.

Traab
2011-10-04, 08:27 AM
Im mainly upset with starfire, but thats just because I never read any comics, just saw the cartoon teen titans show. So it was a bit of a surprise to see her go from young teen looking all big eyed and innocent, to young adult swimsuit model near nympho who greatly enjoys showing off every bit of skin she can without going naked in every panel.

What I want to know is, are there any PLAIN looking super heroines? The only ones I ever see are either gorgeous supermodels, or fugly morlocks, and the fugly ones are fairly rare. There never seems to be a plain looking girl in regards to physical attractiveness. Instead they all seem to have jaw dropping sexiness as a super power in addition to whatever else they can do. I know its a marketing thing, but id seriously like to see a new female super hero take the stage and look like a regular person. Maybe give us a chance to step away from the bodypaint hero costumes.

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-04, 08:27 AM
She crashes to earth "on her way to a party" (she has been unconcious for a LONG time and don't know Krypton is gone, apparently).

She wakes up in the mountains, and realizes it is not Krypton because of the snow, something she has not seen since she was a very little kid (due to weather control or global warming I don't know). Then she gets into a fight with what she thinks are robots (security forces in power armor) and realize they speak a langue she doesn't understand (English), and barely holds her own until dawn when she gets terrified. The sun... is WRONG (yellow, not red, something she has never seen) and then her body starts... changing, freaking her out.

That sounds... really good. I might have to start... BUYING comic books! :smallwink:

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-04, 08:35 AM
Im mainly upset with starfire, but thats just because I never read any comics, just saw the cartoon teen titans show. So it was a bit of a surprise to see her go from young teen looking all big eyed and innocent, to young adult swimsuit model near nympho who greatly enjoys showing off every bit of skin she can without going naked in every panel.

What I want to know is, are there any PLAIN looking super heroines?

Starfire in the comics has always been looking like this. She also is... naked a lot because on her planet there is no nudity taboo and she repeatedly forgets to wear bathing suits, or walks around after showers all over the headquarters in the buff. That's why I said I was a little disappointed in her wearing the bikini; it would be a "character establishing moment" if she was skinnydipping.

Talking about Teen Titans: Heads up btw, Raven is no little girl either. She's in her twenties and not someone you want angry.

Anyway... Yes there are. Try DCs Terra, although she is a sidekick, or Stephanie Brown as Batgirl... Heck Supergirl is very average, body wise, unlike her Sister / cousin / twin self from another place and time, Power Girl.

In Marvel, see Spider Girl, Kitty Pryde, Jubilee...

That sounds... really good. I might have to start... BUYING comic books! :smallwink:

The Batgirl first issue is equally good.

Basically Barbara fails to stop the murder of a cop in a sickbed because the badguy points a gun at her while killing him and all she can do is freeze in terror, reliving the moment when the Joker shot her. When she undfreezes, the badguy has pushed the cop (bed and all) through the window to his death.

The first issue ends with the other police on the site almost shooting her for not stopping the murder of her friend.

Traab
2011-10-04, 09:08 AM
All of them I would say are pretty, if not total knock outs. Of course, the only supergirl im familiar with is justice league unlimited cartoon supergirl, and she is pretty damn well stacked. Kitty and jubillee I always felt were pretty, though jubs at the time I remember her was fairly young and had a crush on wolverine or something. (sort of like rogue from the xmen movies) So my knowledge is definately out of date. I havent been a regular comic reader in a long time.

Starfire, once again, is mainly because I never read the comics and only watched the made for kids cartoons. So no real effort made to show her nudist tendencies. As far as I knew, her character was one of innocence, cuteness, and glowing green eyes when angry. :p Imagine my shock to see her new outfit, and some of her dialogue. But apparently thats not as big of a change as I thought if she was similar to that in the comics before hand.

hamlet
2011-10-04, 09:44 AM
You know, based on the above, I'm kind of bothered that I didn't grab a subscription to Teen Titans.

But that officially makes me a dirty old man, I think.

comicshorse
2011-10-04, 09:49 AM
All of them I would say are pretty, if not total knock outs. Of course, the only supergirl im familiar with is justice league unlimited cartoon supergirl, and she is pretty damn well stacked. Kitty and jubillee I always felt were pretty, though jubs at the time I remember her was fairly young and had a crush on wolverine or something. (sort of like rogue from the xmen movies) So my knowledge is definately out of date. I havent been a regular comic reader in a long time.

And just to add to this they've made Amanda 'The Wall' Waller (one of favourite supoporting characters) young, pretty and thin. 'Cause obviously she can't be worth showing unless she's all of these

I picked up 'Red Lantern' which seems interesting. I'm not sure how long a character so dedicated to violence will stay interesting but I'm buying it for now.

Traab
2011-10-04, 10:09 AM
You know, based on the above, I'm kind of bothered that I didn't grab a subscription to Teen Titans.

Or a 12 year old boy.

hamlet
2011-10-04, 10:57 AM
Or a 12 year old boy.

Being as I've been on this plant for 30 years . . . I think the former actually. Though admittedly with very simplistic tastes.:smallwink:

mootoall
2011-10-04, 11:43 AM
The new The Question is a pretty "plain" looking woman. Even before she had no face she was closer to "just kinda pretty."

Thialfi
2011-10-04, 12:06 PM
Or a 12 year old boy.

All men are 12 year old boys at heart (especially where attractive females are concerned). We just get better at hiding that as we age.

Fallen Angel
2011-10-04, 12:19 PM
It sounds like characters and everything else is being pushed to the social 'right' just to appease consumers.

Connington
2011-10-04, 03:11 PM
I admit I don't read comics, but I've heard an awful lot about the changes DC is making in the reboot, specifically to female characters. Frankly, it sounds pretty stupid. Not every woman in comics needs to look and act like an over-sexed super model.

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-04, 04:55 PM
All of them I would say are pretty, if not total knock outs. Of course, the only supergirl im familiar with is justice league unlimited cartoon supergirl,

Well it seems to vary not only between artist and artist, but reincarnation. This version (the new#1 issue) has a very girl-next-door supergirl. So was the last one, the one that was best friends with Stephanie Brown. She was tall, but not busty.

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-04, 05:03 PM
Yeah, Amanda Waller in... say.. Young Justice, I think, is a really good way to do her. A saw a picture of her in the reboot and... WHO? THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkEnX5MQpcw) is a better Waller, and she's overly detailed and clueless! (Warning: Link has repulsive content.)
I couldn't recognize Starfire at all in that movie though. She looked... like a Furie. (Has she been mindslaved into that yet? I'm REALLY hoping it happens.)

H Birchgrove
2011-10-04, 06:13 PM
The new The Question is a pretty "plain" looking woman. Even before she had no face she was closer to "just kinda pretty."

Renee Montoya? I thought she looked attractive in Batman: TAS, but yeah, she's not a supermodel. Then again, "plain" looking women are usually "better" looking women for me, compared to supermodels. *shrugs*

All men are 12 year old boys at heart (especially where attractive females are concerned). We just get better at hiding that as we age.

If that was true I would be asexual today.

Yeah, Amanda Waller in... say.. Young Justice, I think, is a really good way to do her. A saw a picture of her in the reboot and... WHO? THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkEnX5MQpcw) is a better Waller, and she's overly detailed and clueless! (Warning: Link has repulsive content.)
I couldn't recognize Starfire at all in that movie though. She looked... like a Furie. (Has she been mindslaved into that yet? I'm REALLY hoping it happens.)

It's some time ago since I read the original Suicide Squad and Legends, but as far as I re-call, she wasn't that obese... I think some would call her voluptuous, and what would be wrong with that?

comicshorse
2011-10-04, 06:22 PM
Suicide Squad[/I] and Legends, but as far as I re-call, she wasn't that obese... I think some would call her voluptuous, and what would be wrong with that?

I was a huge fan of the Ostrander 'Suicide Squad' and while not quite that obese (or square) Waller was always very chunky and in her 40's

H Birchgrove
2011-10-04, 06:48 PM
I did some googling and I see you're right.

Also found out that Amanda Waller has been played live action by Pam Grier and Angela Basset... Neither being overweight as far as I can see, or wearing a fake belly like David Suchet in Agatha Christie's Poirot. Maybe this has influenced the re-make of her in the comics?

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-04, 06:55 PM
It's some time ago since I read the original Suicide Squad and Legends, but as far as I re-call, she wasn't that obese... I think some would call her voluptuous, and what would be wrong with that?

Yeah, I thought she was a bit overly done. The Young Justice one, in my opinion, is the best I've seen, especially since She doesn't seem to be working with the bad guys for the first time in the DCAU! Oh, and not overly obese like Superman/Batman :Public Enemies, which creeped me out because AUGH THE DETAIL BAD ><. JLU Waller is the one I'm most familiar with and what I think she should generally look like.
What IS comic Starfire's story now anyway? :smallconfused:

Connington
2011-10-04, 07:21 PM
I did some googling and I see you're right.

Also found out that Amanda Waller has been played live action by Pam Grier and Angela Basset... Neither being overweight as far as I can see, or wearing a fake belly like David Suchet in Agatha Christie's Poirot. Maybe this has influenced the re-make of her in the comics?

I doubt it. Angela Basset in particular might be rather svelte, but both of the live action actors to recently portray Waller are comfortably in their fifties, and managed to get through their appearances without prominently displaying their cleavage. Anyways, Google Images seems to suggest that the most popular interpretation of Waller is Justice League Unlimited's, which is positively square (http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/11481/AmandaWaller.jpg).

This just fits in with the way DC has been poorly handling its portrayal of women in the reboot. Amanda Waller has to be a knockout, Barbara Gordon has to loose decades of characterization and regain the use of her legs, Starfire has to lose the boring parts of her character (friendliness, humor, emotions in general), and Catwoman has to be introduced in her underwear.

Traab
2011-10-04, 07:22 PM
What IS comic Starfire's story now anyway?

As superman is powered by the sun, starfire is powered by sex. Lots and lots of sex. Generally with equally attractive women. Ok, not really, but with a fan service style costume like that, I wouldnt be surprised.

Yanagi
2011-10-04, 09:09 PM
Both of Lemire's titles--Animal Man and Frankenstein--seem promising, as does Flash and Wonder Woman. I 100% endorse Animal Man's first issue.

Aquaman had a good sense of humor in the first issue, and if it can maintain a serious/whimsical mix could be entertaining. If it goes all "Aquaman is super serious and you shouldn't tease because he's seen stuff. And things." I'll tune out. (Though I have an out-of-the-box theory that Mike Mignola could do awesome things with Aquaman)

I really liked the art on Batwoman's miniseries, so I'll see how the regular goes. OMAC's art is neat and Kirby -esque, but I don't know if that will be sufficient to follow it.

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-04, 10:52 PM

Starfire is not a member of Teen Titans anymore; thanks to the reboot she is now a member of Red Hood and the Outlaws. She still is sleeping with ex-Robin though.

It sounds like characters and everything else is being pushed to the social 'right' just to appease consumers.

The problem here (if there is, indeed a problem) is that the Teen Titans TV Cartoon have had more impact on the non-comic reading audience than the original comic book, for obvious reasons. So they think the changes made to be able to show the cartoon for little kids are actually the original look for the characters.

(It is worth noting that the cartoon basically took 5 years off everyone. Robin in the cartoon looks like he's twelve, and so does Startfire).

This is Starfire in the comics. (http://www.comicvine.com/starfire/29-2389/starfire/108-522/)

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-04, 11:46 PM
This is Starfire in the comics. (http://www.comicvine.com/starfire/29-2389/starfire/108-522/)

She looks like a bad Green Lantern Villain who was thrown out of the Yellow Lantern Corp for being too stupid.

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-05, 01:31 AM
She looks like a bad Green Lantern Villain who was thrown out of the Yellow Lantern Corp for being too stupid.

That has more to do with the bad art that was yesteryear. For some reason they always drew her really ugly in the 80ies, but they did that with all females (both Marvel and DC).

Traab
2011-10-05, 10:37 AM
That big hair of hers reminds me of she hulk too be honest.

Aotrs Commander
2011-10-05, 12:26 PM
In Marvel, see Spider Girl, Kitty Pryde, Jubilee...

DUUUUUDE.

You did not just call Jubilee plain.

I suppose Kitty too. ... Meh, Colossus can handle that one.

Them's setting internal organs on fire, no wait, not bad enough - orbital bombarmenting1 words!

And I'm totally telling Wolverine you said that!

1Other people might say "fighting", but I try not to fight where possbile, since using unecessarily overwhelmingly powerful force that obviates resistance is so much more satifying (and doesn't really qualify as "fighting" more "massecreing"). And safer, because you don't get to be my level without being careful paranoid...

TheEmerged
2011-10-05, 12:50 PM
So far, the #2 issues I'm most looking forward to are Aquaman and JLI. It's going to be interesting to see if they keep some of the subtext to Booster Gold's character in the New52 universe. I won't be surprised if we find out "Godiva" is actually his sister.

Aquaman is just the best written of the new ones I've read (which is less than half). I have a suspicion that like Green Lantern and Batman we're going to find out this one is happening in Old52 Universe.

WW the jury is still out on. I'm surprised at the way people are complaining about Starfire compared to this, actually.

I think I'm going to like the way they're splitting Action vs Superman into two time periods, if they keep that up. But I want Action back to its previous numbering, period.

mootoall
2011-10-05, 01:12 PM
Ooh, that reminds me, I can't *wait* for more Booster and Rip material. Booster's ongoing is great.

comicshorse
2011-10-05, 01:21 PM
'Stormwatch' was okay but isn't Adam-one ripped off from Mark Millar's 'Wanted' mini-series

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-05, 03:03 PM
DUUUUUDE.

You did not just call Jubilee plain.

I suppose Kitty too. ... Meh, Colossus can handle that one.

Them's setting internal organs on fire, no wait, not bad enough - orbital bombarmenting1 words!

And I'm totally telling Wolverine you said that!

1Other people might say "fighting", but I try not to fight where possbile, since using unecessarily overwhelmingly powerful force that obviates resistance is so much more satifying (and doesn't really qualify as "fighting" more "massecreing"). And safer, because you don't get to be my level without being careful paranoid...

jubilee isn't PLAIN, she's Not A Bombshell

TheEmerged
2011-10-05, 06:30 PM
jubilee isn't PLAIN, she's Not A Bombshell

Irony intended? :smallredface:

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-05, 10:41 PM
Irony intended? :smallredface:

Actually, no. :smallsmile:

Zevox
2011-10-05, 11:16 PM
Curious: has anyone here read the Firestorm comic? If so, how was it (without spoilers please)?

After reading Brightest Day I became interested in Firestorm, and hearing that he/they got a book after the reboot and at least one of the two writers on it is apparently good gives me some interest in that. I only buy trades, so it'll be a while before I actually have to decide whether to purchase it, but it'd be nice to have a first impression on how the book is going.

Zevox

Metahuman1
2011-10-09, 05:19 PM
Does anyone happen to know how the Teen Titans Reboot is going?

How badly did Tim Drake get the short end of the stick? And are there any other recognizable characters in there, and did they also get the short end of the stick?

Also, did they do a total Restart for Green Lantern, or just a semi start like I hear Batman got.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-10-09, 05:29 PM
Word is Green Lantern is untouched.

Which smacks of Geoff Johns bitch-slapping Dan Didio while yelling "Hell NO!" so loudly it even temporarily snapped Grant Morrison out of his latest acid trip.

Zevox
2011-10-09, 06:25 PM
Green Lantern is untouched, yes. Which, from what I hear, causes some of the biggest continuity confusion, since Brightest Day is still supposed to be in-continuity but characters who were involved in it seem to contradict it in their books. For instance, from what I've heard from a friend, in Firestorm's new book Jason and Ronnie had not met before, which makes no sense if Brightest Day happened, and in Hawkman's there is no mention of Hawgirl whatsoever in spite of what happened with her in Brightest Day.

Zevox

Metahuman1
2011-10-09, 08:30 PM
Ok, I'm sensing a disturbance in the "I was right it's a disaster in progress." force. Not sure when it will hit full force.

Also, what about the Titans? Tim Drake? Is it now he was officially never robin or something? What about Cassandra Sandsmark? Conner Kent? Bart Allen?

And what about some of the older titans? Donna Troy, Changeling, Raven?

And while I'm asking, did Cassandra Cain get erased from Existence like Stephani Brown, or is she running around somewhere?

KingofMadCows
2011-10-09, 11:38 PM
They better fix Cassandra Cain. Along with Terry McGinnis, she's the most worthy successor to Bruce Wayne's Batman.

Whiffet
2011-10-09, 11:40 PM
Also, what about the Titans? Tim Drake? Is it now he was officially never robin or something? What about Cassandra Sandsmark? Conner Kent? Bart Allen?

And what about some of the older titans? Donna Troy, Changeling, Raven?

And while I'm asking, did Cassandra Cain get erased from Existence like Stephani Brown, or is she running around somewhere?

There are things we don't know yet. Add that to my limited comics budget, and I can only answer one of those questions. Tim Drake was still officially Robin. Batman #1 has him labeled "Tim Drake. Former: Robin. Current: Red Robin, Teen Titans member." As you mentioned, Batman wasn't completely rebooted.

Devonix
2011-10-10, 06:15 AM
Well Aquaman was amazing. almost wort the reboot for it... ... no not worth the reboot since the way its written it could have easily fit in the old ocntinuity

Metahuman1
2011-10-12, 06:59 PM
There are things we don't know yet. Add that to my limited comics budget, and I can only answer one of those questions. Tim Drake was still officially Robin. Batman #1 has him labeled "Tim Drake. Former: Robin. Current: Red Robin, Teen Titans member." As you mentioned, Batman wasn't completely rebooted.

Ok, so I guess this means the rumor I'd heard that he was now just gonna be in the Teen Titans continuity and have super powers was not true?

TheArsenal
2011-10-13, 05:59 AM
What Im confused with is the entire concept:

If superman is now an entirely different person then thats no longer superman! Its just some other guy.

If they want to portray it in a more realistic light well.... (http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2305#comic)

Lets just say comics already require the suspension of disbelief.

Metahuman1
2011-10-13, 04:51 PM
What Im confused with is the entire concept:

If superman is now an entirely different person then thats no longer superman! Its just some other guy.

If they want to portray it in a more realistic light well.... (http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2305#comic)

Lets just say comics already require the suspension of disbelief.

Wait? Clark Kent isn't Superman anymore?

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-13, 08:42 PM
Wait? Clark Kent isn't Superman anymore?

No. Nono no no no. This is false. It has to be. **** Greyson as Batman, sure. Azrael, fine, whatever, it was a pretty cool plot. But no. Superman is Clark Kent. Death of Superman was cool,but Superman was STILL Clark then. Its just hes facing the Trench or whatever in his origin now, or Lex is his gay lover, or SOMETHING as long as he's still Clark.

I really thought they were keeping him as Clark Kent, aren't they? Thought it was just some changes, maybe Jor-El IS Zod, but nothing immensely insanely crazy like making Spiderman not be Peter Parker, or something.:smallwink:

Zevox
2011-10-13, 08:51 PM
No. Nono no no no. This is false.
As far as I'm aware, yes, it is false. I've listened to Linkara's recorded first impressions of the entire new 52 (sans the Green Lantern stuff, which I skipped since he was giving spoilers), and he didn't mention any such thing. I'm pretty sure he would have if this were the case.

Zevox

Lord Seth
2011-10-13, 09:08 PM
I believe what TheArsenal was trying to express with the "entirely different person" was that Superman's personality was very different, not that Superman wasn't Clark Kent.

9mm
2011-10-13, 09:13 PM
RE: Starfire

Out of all the personality redo's of the relaunch; Starfire's is the most drastic, and tragic. There is nothing there of the old Starfire who existed, and if the major storylines of the past still supposedly happened just faster; Red-hood Starfire still shouldn't exist. :smallmad:

Zevox
2011-10-13, 09:59 PM
I believe what TheArsenal was trying to express with the "entirely different person" was that Superman's personality was very different, not that Superman wasn't Clark Kent.
If my recollection of Linkara's comments is correct, that's only the case for Action Comics Superman, which is set five years before everything else, when Supes first started superhero-ing. Which just means that they're going for a "he hasn't yet grown into the kind of person he normally is" approach there.

Zevox

Soras Teva Gee
2011-10-13, 10:29 PM
I've read Nu!Superman #1 and Nu!Action Comics #1 & #2 (that numbering still feels outright sacrilegious, ugh) and for that matter Nu!Supergirl #1 so I will report on this.

Nu!Superman #1: The Daily Planet has recently been bought out by Morgan Edge, a recycled storyline by the way. The issue 'celebrates' the Planet moving to a brand new building with a new dome and some nostalgic rhapsodizing, particularly for the Planet's dome on top as a historical icon. Most of the Planet is at a party for the occasion with one noticeable absence. Clark Kent is PISSED and broods angrily over the old buildings demolition. The old newspaper is being rolled into some new unified media approach with Edge's other media properties, in light of how print is dying as a medium.

Lois does not know Clark's other identity, nor is involved with him and umm hooks up with some dude too. In other news she has a background as her reporter self but has recently moved up the chain somewhat and is now an executive producer. Which means she's heading up a lot of the coverage and leading other people around. Her professional relationship with Edge promises to be be stormy as he wants her to be order her people to take the sort of risks she might once did but here she won't do that when she's responsible for other people. Probably the best little bit of the comic and says this is not simply some status quo ante as imagined by editors. Which is why I mention it. Also there Clark gets called out for being behind the times and too worried about corporate news dominance, and how he could be a news anchor so everybody could see him. Which is a fun shout out to when this was the case Pre-Crisis. Yeah I don't need to comment on that right?

Oh in other news Superman fights a fire monster.

On a side note Morgan Edge, since his creation by Jack Kirby in Darkseid's introductory story (yeah this guy isn't new) has gotten a Race Lift to being black. Not sure if this is reboot or Post-Crisis but its interesting to see. And the armor suit isn't quite as distracting as I feared, though I eagerly await his real outfit resurfacing.

Nu!Action Comics #1 & 2: An origin story written by Grant Morrison. Superman has just moved to metropolis a mere six months back or so, so everything is a bit rough around the edges. His first heroic deed: taking down a corrupt businessman for some disagreeable business practices via frontal assault and forced confession. Yeah this is not Superman, but Superdick. I'm quite serious, the guy is a total **** here.

He also wears a Superman T-shirt (like one you could buy IRL), jeans, combat boots... and what is evidently his baby blanket as a cape. Its a short cape and the overall effect is that of Halloween costume thrown together at the last minute. Superdick can only leap tall buildings in a single bound and is not quite yet more powerful then a locomotive. He is also apparently ignorant of his origins.

So while performing various acts of vigilantism Superdick is being watched by General Lane and Lex Luthor. They know he is an alien and Luthor in particular is paranoid about it. Luthor seems to be though not detailed here primarily a scientist versus an industrialist like the earlier Post-Crisis or S:TAS, definitely never been president with no overt super criminal-ism. Thus forms the conflict so far.

This is obviously in the background and reference in other supes one. Grant Morrison is obviously trying to take Superman back to his roots. Only being Grant Morrison this does not mean a distilled Superman but as in Action Comics #1. Which thanks to Linkara can be "read" via AT4W. And while we've all forgotten Superdickery literally does go back to the beginning and Superman is less the icon and more the New Deal vigilante. I use vigilante for a reason because Supes over that subtle line to an area we wouldn't expect from him.

And it does not entirely fade from the character in his developed form in the other book. Plenty of political subtext to find in both. While I'd dispute it ever being true Superman has something of a right of center image particularly among those that don't know him well. Case in point Frank Miller's Batman scribblings. This how ever is distinctly left of center. I won't go further on that topic.

(Also Supergirl has a faithful origin story for her book, more or less. Honestly I'm even mostly into the outfit, save that the artist makes it ride ar little too high on the thigh for its one piece style, it doesn't fit well)

Aotrs Commander
2011-10-14, 05:32 AM
As far as I'm aware, yes, it is false. I've listened to Linkara's recorded first impressions of the entire new 52 (sans the Green Lantern stuff, which I skipped since he was giving spoilers), and he didn't mention any such thing. I'm pretty sure he would have if this were the case.

Zevox

Oh, where was that? Was it on TGWTG or somewhere else? I was wondering what his impressions were, before I even considered looking at Teen Titans again. (Admittedly I haven't actually looked for any of his vidoes apart from AT4W recently...)

Liffguard
2011-10-14, 05:54 AM
So, I don't know if anyone saw this blog post (http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/10979241054/rebooting-the-justice-league) over at Dresden Codak but I thought it was interesting. I certainly don't agree with all of the ideas presented but this is the type of fundamental redesign that could potentially get someone like me into reading comics regularly. Also, Superman's costume design in this is awesome. I'm only tangentially familiar with the DC cast through the DCAU and general pop-cultural knowledge but it seems to me that effectively starting from scratch, keeping some of the core ideas of the characters but really mixing up the details, could garner some fresh interest. As it stands, the current kinda sorta almost-but-not-quite reboot of some titles (but not really changing much) but not of others leaves me even more confused and locked out than I was before.

ETA: See also DC villains (http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/11174072014/rebooting-dcs-villains) and Batman & co. (http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/11344418364/rebooting-batman)

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-14, 06:42 AM
So, I don't know if anyone saw this blog post (http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/10979241054/rebooting-the-justice-league) over at Dresden Codak but I thought it was interesting. I certainly don't agree with all of the ideas presented but this is the type of fundamental redesign that could potentially get someone like me into reading comics regularly. I'm only tangentially familiar with the DC cast through the DCAU and general pop-cultural knowledge but it seems to me that effectively starting from scratch, keeping some of the core ideas of the characters but really mixing up the details, could garner some fresh interest. As it stands, the current kinda sorta almost-but-not-quite reboot of some titles (but not really changing much) but not of others leaves me even more confused and locked out than I was before.

ETA: See also DC villains (http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/11174072014/rebooting-dcs-villains) and Batman & co. (http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/11344418364/rebooting-batman)

Strange art, strange ideas, but pretty cool. Making literally every villain be a human seems odd though. Gorrila Grodd? Human. Sinestro? Human. Power Girl? Human. I'm amazed he doesn't HAVE John Jones the astronaut be mutated into Martian Manhunter. Good Wonder Woman though. :smalltongue:

TheArsenal
2011-10-14, 08:35 AM
If my recollection of Linkara's comments is correct, that's only the case for Action Comics Superman, which is set five years before everything else, when Supes first started superhero-ing. Which just means that they're going for a "he hasn't yet grown into the kind of person he normally is" approach there.

Then this is like hitting the rewing button on the VCR. Whats the point? We already KNOW whats going to happen.

Zevox
2011-10-14, 10:45 AM
Oh, where was that? Was it on TGWTG or somewhere else? I was wondering what his impressions were, before I even considered looking at Teen Titans again. (Admittedly I haven't actually looked for any of his vidoes apart from AT4W recently...)
It's on his website - just google "Atop the Fourth Wall" and it'll be the first result. He's started a new segment where he gives his initial, unscripted thoughts on the comics he buys each week, and the DC's new 52 (plus a handful of others over the course of those four weeks) were the first batch he did.

Then this is like hitting the rewing button on the VCR. Whats the point? We already KNOW whats going to happen.
You know what Superman will be like five years down the line, but not what happens to get him there. The point of a story like that is the journey, the stories that will fill that five-year gap, not the end result. Unless they're just rehashing stories that had already been told, which would be dumb, but I don't get the impression that that's the case.

Zevox

Aotrs Commander
2011-10-14, 05:44 PM
It's on his website - just google "Atop the Fourth Wall" and it'll be the first result. He's started a new segment where he gives his initial, unscripted thoughts on the comics he buys each week, and the DC's new 52 (plus a handful of others over the course of those four weeks) were the first batch he did.

Ah, ta. (I only tend to follow TGWTG in general, not the reviewers satelite sites.) I'll check that when I have a few minutes at some point.

Metahuman1
2011-10-14, 07:59 PM
Strange art, strange ideas, but pretty cool. Making literally every villain be a human seems odd though. Gorrila Grodd? Human. Sinestro? Human. Power Girl? Human. I'm amazed he doesn't HAVE John Jones the astronaut be mutated into Martian Manhunter. Good Wonder Woman though. :smalltongue:

All the Villains are Human? And Power Girls a Villain now?!

Ninjadeadbeard
2011-10-14, 08:19 PM
So, I don't know if anyone saw this blog post (http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/post/10979241054/rebooting-the-justice-league) over at Dresden Codak but I thought it was interesting. I certainly don't agree with all of the ideas presented but this is the type of fundamental redesign that could potentially get someone like me into reading comics regularly. Also, Superman's costume design in this is awesome. I'm only tangentially familiar with the DC cast through the DCAU and general pop-cultural knowledge but it seems to me that effectively starting from scratch, keeping some of the core ideas of the characters but really mixing up the details, could garner some fresh interest. As it stands, the current kinda sorta almost-but-not-quite reboot of some titles (but not really changing much) but not of others leaves me even more confused and locked out than I was before.

Honestly? This is what I want in a DC reboot, cause everything outside the DCAU has been utter garbage since the 1930's the '80's.

Mutant Sheep
2011-10-14, 08:24 PM
All the Villains are Human? And Power Girls a Villain now?!

Well, the guy (not actual DC, but they "redesigned" HIS webcomic.:smalltongue: Heh, Hal Jordan is awesome.) has Power Girl be a bit more like Galatea than Power Girl, but based off Superman, not Supergirl. The Wonder Woman is a pretty cool way to go though. She is already made of clay, so it is a pretty logical way of a reboot.