PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Mind Gluttony [PrC 3.5]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2011-10-05, 06:40 PM
Thanks to Cardea for basically forcing me back into homebrewing.

--

Psychic Devourer
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cpsi_gallery/96345.jpg
Veno Browhammer, manifesting his Maw.

For all, there is necessity in consumption. For most in a world of grimness, they go wanting. Even for the mighty, there is the urge to take and to take when one is able, to consume and devour everything they can. Those known as Psychic Devourers are those focused entirely on this concept and bring taking from others to an extreme... to even abstract and metaphysical degrees. To be a Psychic Devourer is to take all, and to never cease being hungry.

HD: d4

Prerequisites
Alignment: Any nongood
Skills: Autohypnosis 10 ranks, Concentration 10 ranks, Psicraft 10 ranks
Feats: Great Fortitude
Manifesting: Ability to manifest 4th level powers, including power leech.
Special: Must have physically tasted the brain matter of an intelligent creature.

Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Balance, Concentration, Craft, Heal, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Profession and Psicraft
Skill-points per level: 2 + Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Manifesting
1st|+0|+2|+0|+2|Maw, consume energy|--
2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3|--|+1 of existing manifesting class
3rd|+1|+3|+1|+3|Consume vigor|+1 of existing manifesting class
4th|+2|+4|+1|+4|--|+1 of existing manifesting class
5th|+2|+4|+1|+4|Consume essence|+1 of existing manifesting class
6th|+3|+5|+2|+5|Shape maw|--
7th|+3|+5|+2|+5|Consume matter|+1 of existing manifesting class
8th|+4|+6|+2|+6|--|+1 of existing manifesting class
9th|+4|+6|+3|+6|By hunger augmented|+1 of existing manifesting class
10th|+5|+7|+3|+7|Maw everchanged|+1 of existing manifesting class
[/table]

Weapon and armor proficiencies: Psychic devourers gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Manifesting: At every level except first and sixth, a psychic devourer gains additional power points per day and access to new powers as if he had also gained a level in whatever manifesting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus feats, metapsionic or item creation feats, psicrystal special abilities, and so on). This essentially means that he adds the level of psychic devourer to the level of whatever manifesting class the character has, then determines power points per day, powers known, and manifester level accordingly.
If a character had more than one manifesting class before he became a psychic devourer, he must decide to which class he adds the new level of psychic devourer for the purpose of determining power points per day, powers known, and manifester level.

Maw (Su): At first level, the devourer gains the key feature of this class. By spending 1 pp as a standard action, the devourer conjures a semiphysical, semitransparent mouth of psychic energy. This mouth moves only as you command, and counts as an unattached natural weapon of the manifester. It is a natural melee attack that deals 1d8+1.5xInt piercing and bludgeoning damage and has a critical multipliar of x2 with a range of 20. Unlike a normal melee attack, the maw has a range of 15 ft. and uses the manifester's Int instead of Str to determine it's attack bonus. The maw is a supernatural force, and attempting to dispel it works just as it would against an astral construct. The maw lasts for 24 hours.

Consume Energy (Su): At first level, in tandem with developing the psychic maw, the devourer learns how to strip the mental energy of it's victims for the devourer's personal use. For every 5 points of damage the maw does(rounded down) the devourer recieves 1 pp back into his resavoir. If the target of the maw also has a pool of power points, they lose as many power points as the devourer gains per attack. At 5th level this changes to 1 pp per 3 damage.
Additionally, if the devourer kills a foe with it's maw they gain a number of power points equal to half the dead target's HD. If these power points are not used within the hour they are digested and rendered as unused psychic energy.

Consume Vigor (Su): At 3rd level, you teach your maw it's second trick. When the maw attacks a victim, instead of recieving power points the maw instead heals the devourer a number of hp equal to half the damage it's dealt. Even though the devourer gains no power points from this attack, any victims with a pool of power points still loses 1 pp per attack if the maw is used this way. Any healing provided by this class feature heals to a maximum of the manifester's max hp.
Additionally, if the devourer kills a foe with it's maw and uses this power, instead of gaining extra temporary power points, they heal a number of points of damage equal to 1d4 times half the victim's HD.

Consume Essence (Su): At 5th level, the maw of the devourer learns an even more heinous trick. When attacking using the maw, the devourer instead of gaining power points or healing by use of the attacking maw it can instead drain the very being of the character by siphoning off it's ability scores. The devourer may opt to do this by reducing the damage the maw does to 1, but in addition to the meagre damage it also does ability damage to one ability score of the devourer's choosing. In return, the devourer itself gains a +1 enhancement bonus to that ability score of his own for every 2 of the ability score he drains from any target. This bonus lasts for 12 hours once consumed and can be dispelled as though it were a power.
Additionally, if the devourer kills a foe with it's maw and uses this power, instead of gaining extra temporary power points or healing, they gain a +2 inherent bonus to the three highest ability scores the victim had before it's demise(ability damage notwithstanding). This bonus also only lasts 12 hours.

Shape Maw (Su): At 6th level, the essence of the creatures the maw devours suffuses into the being of the maw itself. Whenever the maw kills a creature, it may temporarily take on it's physical form as a psychic embodiment of it. The maw becomes the devoured creature with the light construct template(see below). While changed, you do not gain the benefits of the natural weapon and the 'consume' abilities of the class only function through one of the construct's natural weapons. However, it may act independantly of you instead of requiring a standard action to use the maw. The maw can be controlled telepathically by the devourer alone, as a swift action. The maw has a maximum HD of the devourer's manifester level, despite what the HD of the creature was before it's death. These changes last for 10 minutes per manifester level and the maw returns to it's natural weapon shape, and if the maw is destroyed while transformed it reverts back to it's unshaped, natural weapon form.
Light Construct Template

Creating a Light Construct
"Light construct" is an acquired template that can be added to any creature(referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Size and Type
The creature's type changes to construct. It retains all subtypes. It does not gain the augmented subtype. It uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Hit Dice
Convert all hit dice to d10, and recalculate BAB and saves to that of a construct of their HD. The construct retains all hit dice from class levels, but they are converted to standard construct HD, along with any racial HD the base creature possessed. If the base creature has 20 HD or more, it retains only 20 HD.

Speed
The construct gains a fly speed of 60 ft. with good maneuverability.

Armor Class
The construct gains a +5 deflection bonus to armor class.

Base Attack
As with all construct HD, the light construct has a base attack bonus equal to 3/4th's its HD.

Attacks
The light construct retains all attacks of the base creature and gains a primary natural slam attack. Light constructs can also make attacks with any of the manufactured weapons they possess and use the slam attack as a secondary weapon.
All attacks made by a light construct count as magic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Damage
The damage of the construct's slam attack is 1d6(for medium creatures)+Str modifier.

Special Attacks
The construct retains only the Extraordinary attacks of the base creature, but none that required the creature have an Intelligence score or those derived from class levels.

Special Qualities
The construct retains only the Extraordinary qualities of the base creature, but none that required the creature have an Intelligence score or those derived from class levels.. It also gains the following special qualities.

Damage Reduction (Ex): The construct has DR 15/magic.

Saves
Base saves bonuses of all saves are +1/3 HD.

Abilities
The construct's Str and Dex increase by 2, it has no Constitution or Intelligence score, its Wisdom changes to 10 and its Cha is dropped to 1.

Skills
A construct has no skills, but retains racial bonuses to skill checks.

Feats
The construct loses all feats, but retains racial bonus feats(but not bonus feats from class levels or otherwise).

Treasure
The construct retains non-magic versions of all the equipment the base creature had upon death. It is proficient with any weapons, armor and shields it was wielding or wearing when it died.

Alignment
Always true neutral.

Consume Matter (Ps): At 7th level, the psychic devourer can for but an instant transform his maw into a force of pure consumption. By spending 13 power points as a standard action, the devourer transforms his maw into a 30 ft. sphere that deals 2d6 points of untyped damage per manifester levelof the devourer. Creatures caught in the sphere are capable of making a Reflex save (DC 10+half manifester level+Int or Cha modifier) to reduce the damage to a mere 5d6 damage. By spending an additional 5 power points, the devourer can also add the effects of either the consume energy, consume vigor or consume essence class features. Using the effects of one of these class features with consume matter renders both unusable for 3 rounds.

By Hunger Augmented (Su): At 9th level, the devourer's ability to consume becomes by far more efficient, granting him greater benefits when he devours. The extra benefits given are based on what is consumed from another;

Consume Energy: The power points you consume can spill over your maximum. However if they do, they reduce at a rate of 1d6 per round until you reach your normal maximum.

Consume Vigor: Multiply the amount of healing you recieve from this class feature by 1.5.

Consume Essence (All): The bonus granted to the manifester becomes an untyped bonus(and is thus unlimited) and lasts a number of days equal to half your manifester level.

Consume Str: Whenever you consume strength from a target, your maw in any form that it takes on gains an Inherent bonus to it's Strength equal to the bonus you recieve. The bonus it recieves is permanent. It also recieves the benefits of the expansion power with a manifester level equal to your own.

Consume Dex: Whenever you consume dexterity from a target, your maw in any form that it takes on gains an Inherent bonus to it's Dexterity equal to the bonus you recieve. The bonus it recieves is permanent. It also recieves a Dodge bonus to AC equal to your Int or Cha modifier for 5 rounds.

Consume Con: Whenever you consume constitution from a target, your maw in any form that it takes on gains a bonus to it's max hp equal to twice the Con score it drained, this bonus is limited to your manifester level times four. The bonus it recieves is permanent. It also recieves damage reduction 15/adamantine for 5 rounds.

Consume Int: Whenever you consume intelligence from a target, you recieve all the memories of the target from the last 24 hours before it's death. Three times per day(no matter how many points of Intelligence you've consumed) you can use any one skill rank as though you had it as a class skill and at full rank, using your own ability score and misc modifiers.

Consume Wis: Whenever you consume wisdom from a target, you gain the benefits of the psionic mind blank power for a number of hours equal to the number of points of Wisdom the devourer had consumed that day.

Consume Cha: Whenever you consume charisma from a target, you become more charming, causing all characters and creatures to have an attitude toward you one step closer to helpful. Additionally, you can use psionic dominate three times per day with a manifester level equal to your own.

Maw Everchanged (Su): At 10th level, your maw evolves permenantly. Whenever it consumes the shape of a creature through the shape maw class feature, it can keep that form permenantly. It is capable of retaining only five forms at any given time, but once a creature is consumed it may choose which of the five it may replace with the new one. Changing between forms requires a move action from both the maw and the devourer.

The Tygre
2011-10-05, 06:49 PM
M-master? You came back! Set all phasers to SQUEEEEE!

gkathellar
2011-10-05, 07:14 PM
I project that the forum will now proceed to ignore the class you have written in favor of repeating the previous post. :smallbiggrin:

This looks good, and the fact that it has a viable breakpoint at just about every odd-numbered level is especially elegant. Actually, just taking one level for the Maw looks very nice for any kind of psion gish, since it gives you Int-based ranged melee for 1pp.

Huh ... I sort of feel like a ToB/Psionic version of this class would work.

EdroGrimshell
2011-10-05, 07:47 PM
I like it, the Mind's Eye has a Mind Leech based class that may go well with this one.

Amechra
2011-10-05, 08:11 PM
I quite like it; it might make a nice NA build with a Psychic Warrior...

Improved Rapidstrike, anyone?

And welcome back...

arguskos
2011-10-05, 10:13 PM
1. Welcome the hell back, Krimm! Now, to get VT back somehow and if TDO came back, it'd be like the gang never left. :smallcool:

2. Lovely work. I am bothered slightly by the presence of dead levels, though I'm not sure what would fit in them (and is probably why they're present to begin with).

Morph Bark
2011-10-06, 07:38 AM
Very flavorful a PrC, but it seems kind of... weak. Dunno what exactly could be done to eleviate that, but that it prettymuch seems to require being a Psion, other than the regaining of pp, I'd think few of the class abilities would see much use. Haven't read Shape Maw yet though, so I'm guessing that that is a very strong core ability.

EdroGrimshell
2011-10-06, 08:42 AM
How many Maws can you have shaped at one time? By RAW you could shape an infinite number but i doubt that's RAI. However, limiting it to just one kinda sucks too, maybe half class level? And being able to augment it like it was an actual power would be a good addition.

Also, a minor error in Maw, it says 1d8+1.5+Int, i'm guessing that should be 1d8+(1.5xInt). It also gives two different ranges, one saying 20ft the other saying 15ft. And they're right next to each other.

gkathellar
2011-10-06, 09:46 AM
Also, a minor error in Maw, it says 1d8+1.5+Int, i'm guessing that should be 1d8+(1.5xInt).

You failed that part of your Spot check.

Morph Bark
2011-10-06, 10:08 AM
It also gives two different ranges, one saying 20ft the other saying 15ft. And they're right next to each other.

The range of 20 is the crit range, hence the lack of "ft" next to the 20.

EdroGrimshell
2011-10-06, 12:11 PM
Ah, okay then. However, when i first read this it was a second +, my guess is he spotted it before i posted it since i didn't refresh the page to see if it had been changed. And i could have sworn the 20 had an "ft" next to it before.

So no i didn't fail my spot check the DM gave me incorrect information :smalltongue:

DracoDei
2011-10-06, 12:30 PM
Looks servicable if the entry level is low enough that the damage is good. Otherwise you are hoping the GM mixes in under CRed encounters or bring along cattle or mules to slaughter before doing your assaults. Limited to one attack unless you can make more than one, or have some funky feats (not a pair of weapons in that case, so rapid-strike is out).

Normally bites do all three damage types. Any particular reason you left out slashing?

Morph Bark
2011-10-06, 12:31 PM
Ah, okay then. However, when i first read this it was a second +, my guess is he spotted it before i posted it since i didn't refresh the page to see if it had been changed. And i could have sworn the 20 had an "ft" next to it before.

So no i didn't fail my spot check the DM gave me incorrect information :smalltongue:

It was already that way when I posted my first post in this thread, so you took your fair time posting then! :smalltongue:

gkathellar
2011-10-06, 12:56 PM

I wouldn't have called you out on it if he had changed his post since you posted. Check the edit time vs. your post time. :smalltongue:

EdroGrimshell
2011-10-06, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't have called you out on it if he had changed his post since you posted. Check the edit time vs. your post time. :smalltongue:

I went to bed then posted in the morning without refreshing the page. So it was the same as it was yesterday when i first saw it since i had the same page open..

Cieyrin
2011-10-06, 01:57 PM
How much ability damage is Consume Essence supposed to deal? It says the regular damage is reduced to 1 but never states how much it deals in addition. Maybe I missed it.

Also, were you meaning to make the class Int or Cha, given Consume Dex has such a choice involved. It would open up an option for Wilders, at least.