PDA

View Full Version : Earth Giant Race (PF, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-07, 03:41 AM
Original race is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211283). For one of my PEACHers, I decided to make a PF version of it.

The Earth Giant

A group of powerful giants from the ancient world long ago had their power seized and their strength shackled by the forces of Glittergold. The gnomes trapped them, forcing them to work as slaves and live in small camps. Every tribe is generally broken and hopeless, working under their masters for the last two thousand years.

Alignment: Earth giants are a disciplined, obedient race. They rarely speak out against the voice of authority. Most earth giants are lawful evil, though lawful good is not exactly rare. Very few earth giants are of the neutral alignment, as they often lack a true sense of "self".

Religion: I am not familiar enough with the Pathfinder system to complete this section.

Racial Traits

+2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma : Even with their mighty titan strength bound and weakened, an earth giant is still a ferocious warrior who would easily tear a human in half. Their continuous oppression has left them with the sense to wait for opportune moments, and their time as laborers has made them very aware of their surroundings, though they still lack the social graces of a "normal" person.

Large Size: Earth giants are Large creatures. They receive a +1 size modifier to their CMB and CMD, but take a -1 Size penalty to attack rolls, AC, and a -4 size penalty on all Stealth checks. Earth giants can carry twice as much weight as a Medium size character with the same Strength score, have a natural reach of 10 feet, and can use larger weapons than a Medium character without penalty.

Giant: An Earth Giant is a Humanoid with the Giant subtype. They always treat Intimidate and Perception as class skills.

Low-Light Vision: An earth giant can see twice as far as a human in twilight and low-light areas.

Arcane Shackles: An earth giant is bound by magical shackles that literally run inside his blood. This is treated as a curse that can never be broken, neither with mundane nor magical means. (Even a deity who personally stepped onto this plane could not remove the curse)

The curse not only restricts an earth giant's natural strength, it also strips the earth giant of the innate ability all creatures have to bend reality to their will. An earth giant may never cast arcane spells, nor use arcane magic command items such as scrolls or wands. An earth giant with levels in an arcane caster class has a caster level of 0, regardless of his class level or caster level boosts.

Weakened Will: An earth giant's mind has been twisted and warped by illusions to the point that he can no longer resist them anymore. An earth giant automatically fails any saving throw against a spell of the illusion school, if the saving throw is of the [Disbelief] type. An earth giant does not automatically fail other illusion spell's saving throws, however, he takes a -4 penalty to these saving throws.

Racial Enmity: Earth giants despise gnomes in every way. An earth giant receives a +4 dodge bonus to his AC against attacks made by gnomes, and also receives a +1 racial bonus on CMB checks made against a gnome.

Hidden Power: An earth giant can unleash his true giant strength if he is able to resist his curse, which can only happen with time. Whenever an earth giant receives a bonus to his Strength score from leveling up, or a Size bonus to his Strength score from any source, that bonus is doubled.

Languages: An earth giant automatically speaks Common and Giant. His bonus language options include Goblin, Orc, Gnome, Dwarven and Infernal.

Favored Class: Cleric

Alternate Favored Class Option: Instead of receiving a +1 HP or skill point when taking a level of cleric, an earth giant cleric may instead choose to gain an additional daily domain slot of a single level, chosen when this alternate favored class option is selected. (So at 1st level, an earth giant cleric would be able to cast two 1st level domain spells per day, while at 3rd level the earth giant cleric could choose either an additional 1st level domain slot or an extra 2nd level domain slot, etc)

Changes from the 3.5 version:

As the Giant type does not exist in Pathfinder, the earth giant is instead a humanoid with the Giant subtype. While this grants him a small bonus, it prevents him from enjoying the same immunity to lower level enchantment spells that the 3.5 earth giant gets. However, he is also able to benefit from the enlarge person spell being cast on him from the party wizard, which makes up for the lack of other size-increasing options in Pathfinder.

Arcane Shackles achieves the desired limitation of Illiteracy in the 3.5 version, but with a more direct approach that eliminates sorcerers and the magus as well, but does not inflict the RP limitation of being illiterate.

With the interesting rules for Favored Classes in PF, I was able to come up with a powerful option for earth giant clerics that rivals the deadly power of a human sorcerer and actually allows for an earth giant cleric to use the specific power of his deity more often than just once per day per level.

The lack of an Intelligence penalty might make this class more appealing to rogues, though the idea of a Large sized rogue is simultaneously laughable and awesome.

Paulcynic
2011-10-07, 02:03 PM
Awesome! I really like the alternate class feature, you've struck gold there :)

And as to Large/Huge sized rogues, lul, in Pathfinder you can Sneak Attack with 2handed weapons... I know, doesn't seem right, but this is totally legit :P

Thank you sir!

--PC

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-07, 02:24 PM
Awesome! I really like the alternate class feature, you've struck gold there :)

Thanks! By 20th level, an earth giant cleric will have 20 extra spells per day, but only two different spells to choose from, so it really gives you more flash, not more versatility like the human sorcerer. I think it's fair. (Plus, you're giving up 20 HP or 20 SP to do that, and skill points for a cleric are rare)

And as to Large/Huge sized rogues, lul, in Pathfinder you can Sneak Attack with 2handed weapons... I know, doesn't seem right, but this is totally legit :P

Oh, you can in 3.5 too. I was referring to the -4 penalty to Stealth checks. XD Imagine an earth giant rogue trying to hide behind a tree...thinking "I'm so stealthy!" as he aims a big crossbow at someone.

Thank you sir!

No problem! The least I could do for someone who was so interested in my race! I know you couldn't really grasp the 3.5 version since you hadn't played in so long, so I just made one for PF!

Domriso
2011-10-07, 10:30 PM
This certainly is interesting. I've always liked the idea of giants, and this seems a better implementation.