PDA

View Full Version : Question: Scales of War plot

Epinephrine
2011-10-07, 08:12 PM
Ok, the story is this - I am running a chapter from the adventure path Scales of War; it's The Lost Mines of Karak. The thing is that I was a player for the first few chapters, and have subbed in as DM. The original DM and I may end up swapping duties from time to time, so I don't want to read ahead too much, in case I go back to playing later; he apparently only prepped about a chapter ahead, so it's not a big deal for him, he doesn't have any plot knowledge spanning the material I'm doing.

I'll spoiler this to ask:
There is a ring at the end of this chapter; it's called the Primordial Ring, and it's a level 14 item. This adventure is for level 6 characters, and they reach level 7 partway through. The ring is obviously too high a level for them, and honestly isn't that great as items go.

So my question is: Is this is a plot item of some sort? I know my players, if they get some expensive piece of crap, they'll hawk it to get useful gear. Even at 1/5 of its value it'd allow them to pick up a decent item.

If it's a plot item, I have to come up with a way to have them want to keep it (or be unable to move it - nobody will pay them for it...); if it isn't a plot item, I could probably replace it with something actually useful.

Thanks,

Epi

Lord Vampyre
2011-10-18, 01:54 PM
Even if it is a plot item you could allow them to get rid of it.

Once they realized the importance of the ring, you can then make them go through hell in order to get it back. For example, the person they sold it to is no longer alive and doesn't have it any more. It could make a descent side quest for them, and give them a break from the over arching campaign.

Or if you're feeling generous, you just make it so they can easily retrieve it by paying more than they sold it for.

Edit: Sorry, I couldn't help more. I'm still working on the first chapter.

Epinephrine
2011-10-18, 04:29 PM
Even if it is a plot item you could allow them to get rid of it.

Once they realized the importance of the ring, you can then make them go through hell in order to get it back. For example, the person they sold it to is no longer alive and doesn't have it any more. It could make a descent side quest for them, and give them a break from the over arching campaign.

Or if you're feeling generous, you just make it so they can easily retrieve it by paying more than they sold it for.

Edit: Sorry, I couldn't help more. I'm still working on the first chapter.

Hmm, good point. Rather than stress any importance, see what they do, and it makes an interesting side quest if it turns out they need it later :) Thanks! I was worrying about nothing!