PDA

View Full Version : Hallowe'en

Das Platyvark
2011-10-09, 12:17 PM
So, I've decided that this year I'm going to put together a really badass halloween costume, and I might as well get started now.
I'm just looking for the opinion of my fellow nerds on this, so here are my current choices:
1. Sir Samuel Vimes, with my 6'7" friend as Captain Carrot.
2. The Mad Hatter (My own version, not any particular movie one), preferably with someone being the March Hare and Dormouse.
3. Bro and Dave Strider, with my younger brother
4. Guy Fawkes/V.

KenderWizard
2011-10-09, 12:32 PM
Guy Fawkes and the Mad Hatter are going to be more recognisable, as it can be a bit frustrating to have to explain your costume to 9 out of 10 people (unless you're going to a nerdful party). That said, Vimes and Carrot would be awesome!

Scarlet Knight
2011-10-09, 12:42 PM
I read the books but I don't know if Vimes and Carrot are easily recognizable. How would you distinguish them from say : Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-10-09, 12:48 PM
For one, Carrot is hugely tall, has bright orange hair, shines, and is carrot-shaped: massive shoulders!
Both of them would have to get breastplates: one shining, one totally dented.

Icewalker
2011-10-09, 04:24 PM
Bro and Daaaaave.

Although you'll need to get black Kamina shades and a couple katanas.

Keld Denar
2011-10-10, 02:10 AM
I just got my GF's mom to help me out with mine, and its like, 99% complete. I have the tight grey pants, white silk shirt (with lace), black vest, black knee high vinyl boot covers, and rediculously large, teased, blond wig.

Yea. I'm going as Goblin King Jareth from the Labyrinth. It'll be epic. I just need to get me one of those contact juggling balls, but I don't want to pay like $30 for one. I'm looking for a fake at a dollar store.

Castaras
2011-10-10, 02:24 AM
Once I get my arse into action and buy myself a hat and some wool for a scarf, I'm going as a femme 4th Doctor. Purely because I have the hair for it, and once I got a hat and scarf the rest is easy. :smallamused:

Ravens_cry
2011-10-10, 09:30 AM
You also need jelly babies.

Archonic Energy
2011-10-10, 09:44 AM
Once I get my arse into action and buy myself a hat and some wool for a scarf, I'm going as a femme 4th Doctor. Purely because I have the hair for it, and once I got a hat and scarf the rest is easy. :smallamused:

this may be releven tto your intrests... (http://forbiddenplanet.com/67582-doctor-who-t-shirts-4th-doctor-costume-forbidden-planet-exclusive/)

i want the 10th Dr one... just to annoy CKG :smallwink:

Linkavitch
2011-10-10, 08:33 PM
I'm going as Captain America (cheesy walmart version) complete with 12 dollar frisbee painted like Cap's shield, with faux leather strap on bottom.

Zain
2011-10-10, 08:51 PM
I'm going as a blue spy.

looking forward to explaining it again.

Archonic Energy
2011-10-11, 04:05 AM
I'm going as a blue spy.

looking forward to explaining it again.

blue spy with a red spy mask?
:smallamused:

Dr.Epic
2011-10-11, 03:08 PM
I always Halloween. I love the Halloween specials of my favorite shows. I love the cool weather. I love how candy prices are always sliced down letting you buy a ton of it for less. Also, if you LARP, if you want a good costume, just go to a costume store the day after Halloween for severely reduced prices.

fizzybobnewt
2011-10-11, 10:23 PM
I'mma be MiTD.
Hello Kitty umbrella.
Black felt hanging down all around.
Two yellow ellipses.
???
Profit!

THAC0
2011-10-11, 11:00 PM
I'm gonna, uh, be backpacking the grand canyon. So no costume for me!

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-10-11, 11:10 PM
I think I'm gonna throw together a zombie crossdressing stripper costume...
I just need to steal some pushup bras.

Raistlin1040
2011-10-11, 11:21 PM
I have not completely decided yet. Either Robert Smith of The Cure (in continuing my trend of going as musicians, with the last two years being David Bowie and Marilyn Manson) or the Tenth Doctor.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-12, 11:12 AM
I want to go as a character from Munchkin one of these years: chainsaw of bloody disembowelment, magnificent hat, kneepads of allure. It'd be awesome!:smallbiggrin: Also, one year I gotta go are 21 from the Venture Bros. I love that guy.

Dsurion
2011-10-12, 12:15 PM
So, I've decided that this year I'm going to put together a really badass halloween costume, and I might as well get started now.
I'm just looking for the opinion of my fellow nerds on this, so here are my current choices:
1. Sir Samuel Vimes, with my 6'7" friend as Captain Carrot.
2. The Mad Hatter (My own version, not any particular movie one), preferably with someone being the March Hare and Dormouse.
3. Bro and Dave Strider, with my younger brother
4. Guy Fawkes/V.I think Guy Fawkes is a little overdone personally, but can look really cool if done well. I like the Mad Hatter though!

I'm probably going to go out as a Roman Legionnaire for Hallows Eve this year. A friend offered to let me borrow his replica lorica segmentata "at some point, because I want a picture of an angry, armored, dwarf." :smallbiggrin:

Fortunately, we also made a wooden tower shield to go along with it for a school project a few years back that I can carry about as well.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-12, 04:47 PM
I think Guy Fawkes is a little overdone personally, but can look really cool if done well.

Yeah, save it for November 5th.:smallwink: I mean, you wouldn't dress up as Santa on the Fourth of July. Or maybe you would. I don't know what kind of traditions do you have.

Tyndmyr
2011-10-12, 08:46 PM
Going as a brotherhood of steel paladin from fallout 3. Well, if the costume gets done in time.

The Succubus
2011-10-13, 05:49 AM
Going as a brotherhood of steel paladin from fallout 3. Well, if the costume gets done in time.

And if they don't give you candy you minigun their house? :smalleek:

nealn
2011-10-13, 06:05 AM
Halloween is coming, and found two beautiful masks, which should buy to help me find it?

Ravens_cry
2011-10-13, 11:17 AM
I am going as a Grim Reaper, with a Picket Sign attached to my scythe. With all the zombies and undead around, it made sense.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-13, 12:41 PM
Man, one year I should go as Zoidberg on the grounds I wouldn't have to shave my beard and can just place something over it.:smallwink:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-10-13, 03:33 PM
Thinking of getting a gasmask and stuff from the army surplus...

Aidan305
2011-10-13, 08:21 PM
Thinking of dressing as a worgen this year or, at least, a dapper werewolf.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-13, 11:53 PM
You know what I haven't done in for like ages: carved a pumpkin. Why do we only do that for Halloween? Jack-o'-lanterns shouldn't be annual. Anyway, I might carve one this year.

CletusMusashi
2011-10-14, 12:32 AM
I was Zoidberg last year. The eyes were the hardest part to build.
The shoes were actually the hardest part to deal with.
I can't figure out how to post an image, but there are pics on a few other forums that I took when I was putting it together.
http://http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-costume-ideas/94393-hands-down-your-best-halloween-costume-3.html (http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-costume-ideas/94393-hands-down-your-best-halloween-costume-3.html)
This year, I'm working on a Quagmire. Haven't quite figured out how to do the bloated face, yet, but so far I have the wardrobe, the pilot hat, and what was actually being sold as a Charlie Sheen wig.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-14, 12:42 AM
I was Zoidberg last year. The eyes were the hardest part to build.

Why even bother doing the eyes? It's not like he has different/weird eyes.

This year, I'm working on a Quagmire. Haven't quite figured out how to do the bloated face, yet, but so far I have the wardrobe, the pilot hat, and what was actually being sold as a Charlie Sheen wig.

I'd go with some sort of paper mache and some kind of strap.

The-Mage-King
2011-10-14, 02:13 AM
Eh. I'll either dig up my Von Hohenheim (http://images.wikia.com/fma/images/d/d7/Hohenheim.jpg) costume and buy a fake beard that matches my hair, since I forgot to grow one for this, or hunt up some clothin' to pull off th' TF2 Engineer.

Either one works. Engie might be easier than hunting down a beard, given that I live right near a pair of hardware stores, so they stock the belt, hardhat, and knee pads... And probably the glove...

Tyndmyr
2011-10-14, 05:08 AM
And if they don't give you candy you minigun their house? :smalleek:

Ideally. Unfortunately, it turns out I'm moving between now and halloween. This entirely jacks up my costuming plans.

Anyone have ideas for either A. cranking that costume out with the quickness or B. an easy video gamed themed costume that's still awesome?

Recherché
2011-10-14, 05:17 AM
Tyndmyr: What were you originally planning to make it out of, and how much experience do you have at making armour?

As for myself, depending on what I feel like that day, I'll be wearing either V from OotS, Vin from Mistborn, Team Rocket Grunt, or a 12th century noblewoman. Being a cosplayer means that you always have options as far as costumes.
That being said I'm really going to miss my old costumer friends. We had the most awesome (themed) Halloween parties, but this year we're all moved away from each other, so we're going to have to try to be awesome separately.

Tyndmyr
2011-10-14, 05:30 AM
Tyndmyr: What were you originally planning to make it out of, and how much experience do you have at making armour?

Mostly foam, with a bit of styrofoam in places for bulk. I have some decent experience with leather and chain armor, but not a lot with pure costuming stuff.

The Succubus
2011-10-14, 05:32 AM
for myself, depending on what I feel like that day, I'll be wearing either V from OotS, Vin from Mistborn, Team Rocket Grunt, or a 12th century noblewoman. Being a cosplayer means that you always have options as far as costumes.

Is that you in the V costume in your avvie? It's really cool! :smallsmile:

Recherché
2011-10-14, 05:41 AM
Tyndmyr: If you can get it in time, wonderflex is awesome for costume armor. The stuff is sturdy (except under high heat), needs minimal sculpting, and can be finished to look like nearly anything. The problem is that it's hard to find. You can order it here: http://www.dazian.com/html/wonderflex.html, but you're unlikely to find it in any brick and mortar store.

The Succubus: Yep, that's me. V's my favorite cosplay just because of the look on people's faces as they figure out who I am/ who my group is. Well that, and the opportunities to be in character are too much fun.

Tyndmyr
2011-10-14, 06:12 AM
That...that stuff sounds fantastic! I keep around a bunch of shapelock for various things, and this seems like that in a handy dandy sheet form. Yes, I will be buying some of this.

Dsurion
2011-10-14, 08:17 AM
Ideally. Unfortunately, it turns out I'm moving between now and halloween. This entirely jacks up my costuming plans.

Anyone have ideas for either A. cranking that costume out with the quickness or B. an easy video gamed themed costume that's still awesome?I did Pac-Man a few years ago on the cheap. It was two large piece of cardboard (free, as it was being tossed out), cheap, yellow, hobby paint ($1), and some tape ($3). Turned out... Not awful.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/307199_10150416993001834_638076833_10045911_949728 865_n.jpg

Tyndmyr
2011-10-14, 08:26 AM
Not worried much about cheap, more about lazy/looking good. That plastic stuff looks fantastic, I ordered a coupla sheets. With that, I can probably finish the fallout armor!

CletusMusashi
2011-10-14, 05:00 PM
In answer to the eye question, the easiest way to give yourself a red face with no nose or ears is to use a pre-existing mask. But that leaves the problem of big flesh-tone areas around the eyes. In retrospect, I suppose using some red eyeliner would have been an easier solution. But I opted for a googly cartoonish look instead, and by complete dumb luck it turned out that the sunglasses-frame I was wearing under the mask to hold the eye-bubbles in place had the side effect of creating distinct stress-lines under the sockets. They also stretched the masks holes out a little bit, so my field of vision was actually a little bit wider with the goggles than without them.

Kjata
2011-10-15, 08:32 AM
I'm thinking about going as this guy.

http://www.comicswap.net/joomla2/images/stories/jace%20mind%20sculptor.jpg