PDA

View Full Version : The Shadow Assassin [3.5, PEACH]

Grod_The_Giant
2011-10-10, 11:59 PM
Came across an old custom class from a few years back, dusted it off, wondered how well it works. It's a magic-assassin type, pretty much what I expected from the Duskblade (based on the name alone).

The Shadow Assassin

http://www.montecook.com/images/BORL_blackhand.jpg

“You won’t see him coming. You won’t hear him. The night embraces him like a lover. Incidentally, I’ll need my pay in advance this month.”
-Renallis Hasur advising the target of a Shadow Assassin.

The Shadow Assassin is a mix of many things. An deadly swordsman, a stealthy assassin, and a powerful mage. He can’t stand up to a trained warrior in hand-to-hand combat, but if he’s seen at all, he’s done something wrong. He thrives when taking his foes by surprise, launching death attacks and killing magics from the shadows.

Abilities: Intelligence is extremely important for a Shadow Assassin, powering their spell casting and many of their special abilities. Dexterity is also important for the lightly armored Shadow Assassin. Strength is useful for those wising to focus on melee combat, although Weapon Finesse and spells like True Strike can somewhat mitigate this. Constitution is, as always, important for the added health it provides.

Races: Any race can be a Shadow Assassin, but humans are most often drawn to the profession of assassin. Halfling Assassins are not unheard of, and many Drow find being a Shadow Assassin quite to their liking.

Alignment: Any, although most are Lawful Neutral or Evil.

{table=head]Level|Base attack|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|0 lv|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th
1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Trapfinding, Low-Light Vision, Sneak Attack +1d6|2|—|—|—|—|—|—
2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Shadow’s Veil|3|0|—|—|—|—|—
3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Blindfight|3|1|—|—|—|—|—
4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Eyes of the Night, Sneak Attack +2d6|3|2|0|—|—|—|—
5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Shadow’s Embrace|3|3|1|—|—|—|—
6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|Shadow’s Devotion|3|3|2|—|—|—|—
7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|Death Attack, Sneak Attack +3d6|3|3|2|0|—|—|—
8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+6|Share the Night|3|3|3|1|—|—|—
9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+6|Whisper of the Night|3|3|3|2|—|—|—
10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+7|Hide in Plain Sight, Sneak Attack +4d6|3|3|3|2|0|—|—
11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+7|Shadow’s Cloak|3|3|3|3|1|—|—
12th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Blessed of the Night|3|3|3|3|2|—|—
13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Sneak Attack +5d6|3|3|3|3|2|0|—
14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+9|Gift of the Night|4|3|3|3|3|1|—
15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+9|Soul of the Night|4|4|3|3|3|2|—
16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Sneak Attack +6d6|4|4|4|3|3|2|0
17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Shadow’s Mask|4|4|4|4|3|3|1
18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+11|Killing Blow|4|4|4|4|4|3|2
19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+11|Sneak Attack +7d6|4|4|4|4|4|4|3
20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+12|Shadow’s Oblivion|4|4|4|4|4|4|4
[/table]

Hit Die: d6
Class Skills: Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Concentration (Con), Decipher Script (Int), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill points at first level: (6+Int modifier) x4
Skill points at each additional level: 6+ Int modifier

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Shadow Assassins are proficient with all all simple weapons, plus the hand crossbow, rapier, kukri, sap, shortbow, and short sword. They are proficient with light armor, but not with shields. A Shadow Assassin can cast Shadow Assassin spells while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. However, like any other arcane spellcaster, a Shadow Assassin wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component (most do). A multiclass Shadow Assassin still incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance for arcane spells received from other classes.

Spells:

A Shadow Assassin casts arcane spells, which are drawn from the shadow assassin spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time. Shadow Assassin spells do not have verbal components. To learn or cast a spell, a Shadow Assassin must have a Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Shadow Assassin spell is 10 + the spell level + the Shadow Assassin’s Intelligence modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a Shadow Assassin can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Shadow Assassin. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Intelligence score. When the table indicates that the Shadow Assassin gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level, he gains only the bonus spells he would be entitled to based on his Intelligence score for that spell level.

He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time the way a cleric or wizard must. When a shadow assassin gains access to a new level of spells, he automatically knows all the spells for that level listed on the warmage’s spell list. Essentially, his spell list is the same as his spells known list. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his allotment of spells per day for the spell’s level.

Trapfinding:
Shadow Assassins can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20. Finding a nonmagical trap has a DC of at least 20, or higher if it is well hidden. Finding a magic trap has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.

They can also use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A magic trap generally has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it. A Shadow Assassin who beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check can study a trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with his party) without disarming it.

Sneak Attack (Ex):
If a Shadow Assassin can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, he can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The Shadow Assassin’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the Shadow Assassin flanks his target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every three Shadow Assassin levels thereafter. Should the Shadow Assassin score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a Shadow Assassin can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. He cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty.

A Shadow Assassin can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The Shadow Assassin must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A Shadow Assassin cannot sneak attack while striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Low-Light Vision (Ex):
A Shadow Assassin gains low-light vision. If he already possessed low-light vision, he can now see three times as far as normal in dim light.

Shadow’s Veil (Su):
At 2nd level, a Shadow Assassin the shadows first show their loyalty be covering him more thickly then others. When in an area with shadowy or no light, he gains a bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks equal to his class level.

Blindfight:
At 3rd level, a Shadow Assassin gains Blindfight as a bonus feat.

Eyes of the Night (Su):
Beginning at 4th level, the shadows endow a Shadow Assassin with the ability to see better then other men. He gains 60 foot Darkvision, and a bonus to Spot and Search checks equal to his class level. If he already had Darkvision, its range is increased by 60 feet. Additionally, all Shadow Assassins gain the ability to treat magical darkness as normal darkness for the purpose of vision.

Shadow’s Embrace (Su):
Beginning at 5th level, the shadows actively aid a Shadow Assassin in his attacks and hinder his opponent’s efforts to block. When in an area with shadowy or no illumination, he gains a bonus to his attack equal to his Intelligence modifier.

Shadow’s Devotion (Su):
By 6th level, the shadows are so loyal to a Shadow Assassin that they will violate physical laws for him. When he leaves an area with shadowy or no illumination, shadows remain wrapped around him, creating an area of shadowy illumination in a 10 foot radius. They remain present for 1d4 times rounds.

Death Attack (Ex):
Beginning at 7th level, a Shadow Assassin can strike targets dead with a single attack. If a Shadow Assassin studies his victim for 3 rounds and then makes a Sneak Attack with a melee weapon that successfully deals damage, the attack has the additional effect of possibly killing the target. While studying the victim, the Shadow Assassin can take no more than a single move action each round. The target may not detect the Shadow Assassin or recognize him as an enemy. If the victim of such an attack fails a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 level + the Shadow Assassin’s Int modifier) against the kill effect, she dies. If the victim’s saving throw succeeds, the attack is just a normal Sneak Attack. Once the Shadow Assassin has completed the 3 rounds of study, he must make the death attack within the next 3 rounds. If a death attack is attempted and fails (the victim makes her save) or if the Shadow Assassin does not launch the attack within 3 rounds of completing the study, 3 new rounds of study are required before he can attempt another death attack.

Share the Night (Su):
At 8th level, a Shadow Assassin can share some of his kinship with shadows. As a standard action, he can grant all allies within 30 feet 60-foot darkvision for a number of hours equal to his Intelligence modifier. He may use this ability at will. Additionally, their darkvision can penetrate magical darkness created by the Shadow Assassin.

Whisper of the Night (Ex):
Beginning at 9th level, the shadows speak to a Shadow Assassin, telling him where his foes are. He gains blindsense out to 30 feet in any area of dark or shadowy illumination.

Hide in Plain Sight (Su):
At 10th level, a Shadow Assassin can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as he is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, he can hide himself from view in the open without having anything to actually hide behind. He cannot, however, hide in his own shadow.

Shadow’s Cloak (Su):
Beginning at 11th level, a Shadow Assassin can cloak himself in shadows, letting their power protect him from enemy attacks. While in an area with shadowy or no illumination, he gains a bonus to armor class and saves equal to his Intelligence modifier.

Blessed of the Night (Su):
By 12th level, the partnership between a Shadow Assassin and the shadows is so great it affects his magic. When in an area with shadowy or no illumination, he gains a bonus on spell save DCs and time interval (rounds, minutes, hours…) equal to his Intelligence modifier. However, they gain the [Darkness] description. This ability only applies to Shadow Assassin spells.

Gift of the Night (Su):
At 14th level, a Shadow Assassin’s ability to share his vision with his allies improves. As a standard action, he can grant all allies within 30 feet 120-foot darkvision and 30 feet blindsense for a number of hours equal to his Intelligence modifier. He may use this ability at will. Additionally, their darkvision can penetrate magical darkness created by the Shadow Assassin.

Soul of the Night (Su):
At 15tht level, a Shadow Assassin’s soul is deeply in tune with the shadows. He can see in perfect color and detail out to 120 feet (this ability overrides Darkvision), and gains blindsight out to 60 feet (this ability overrides his blindsense). Additionally, he gains Darkness as a spell-like ability usable at will, with a caster level equal to his class level.

Shadow’s Mask (Su):
At 17th level, a Shadow Assassin is more a creature of shadow then light. While in an area with shadowy or no illumination, he can fade into the shadows and become fully invisible as an immediate action. He doesn't become visible until he enters a well-lit area (and the duration on Shadow's Devotion expires) or he attacks.

Killing Blow (Ex):
By 18th level, a Shadow Assassin is sufficiently skilled at assassination that he no longer needs to spend several rounds studying his target. He may make a death attack against any creature that is unaware of his presence. Additionally, if he spends three rounds studying them, he may attempt a death attack even against creatures which would normally be immune to such attacks, such as constructs and the undead.

Shadow’s Oblivion (Sp):
At 20th level, the Shadow Assassin can manipulate the shadows to such an extent that he can use them to kill. This ability is usable a number of times equal to the Shadow Assassin’s Charisma modifier times per day. The target must be within thirty feet, and in the Shadow Assassin’s line of sight. The victim must make a Fortitude save (DC 15 + 1/2 level + the Shadow Assassin’s Intelligence Modifier) or die. If he succeeds, he instead takes 10d6 points of damage.

Spell List (Core Only for now)

0-Level:
Detect Magic
Detect Poison
Ghost Sound
Inflict Minor Wounds
Mage Hand
Mending
Read Magic
Resistance

1st Level:
Animate Rope
Cause Fear
Deathwatch
Detect Secret Doors
Detect Undead
Disguise Self
Entangle
Erase
Expeditious Retreat
Feather Fall
Grease
Hold Portal
Inflict Light Wounds
Jump
Magic Weapon
Obscuring Mist
Pass Without Trace
Silent Image
Sleep
True Strike

2nd-Level:
Alter Self
Bear’s Endurance (self only)
Blindness/Deafness
Blur
Bull’s Strength (self only)
Cat’s Grace (self only)
Darkness
Detect Thoughts
Fire Trap
Fog Cloud
Inflict Moderate Wounds
Invisibility
Knock
Levitate
Locate Object
Minor Image
Misdirection
Obscure Object
Protection from Arrows (self only)
Pyrotechnics
Resist Energy (self only)
Rope Trick
Scare
Shatter
Silence
Spider Climb
Undetectable Alignment
Web

3rd-Level:
Arcane Sight
Deep Slumber
Deeper Darkness
Dispel Magic
Displacement
Explosive Runes
Gaseous Form (self only)
Haste (self only)
Hold Person
Inflict Serious Wounds
Invisibility Sphere
Keen Edge
Magic Weapon, Greater
Major Image
Meld Into Stone
Nondetection
Protection from Energy (self only)
Shrink Item
Slow
Water Breathing (self only)
Water Walk

4th Level:
Air Walk
Arcane Eye
Confusion
Contagion
Detect Scrying
Dimension Door
Fear
Inflict Critical Wounds
Invisibility, Greater
Locate Creature
Solid Fog

5th Level:
Mind Fog
Passwall
Persistent Image
Prying Eyes
Sending
Slay Living
Symbol of Sleep

6th Level:
Antimagic Field
Ethereal Jaunt
Find the Path (self only)
Forbiddance
Harm
Mislead
Programmed Image
Shadow Walk
Symbol of Fear
True Seeing
Veil

Shadow Assassins and the Assassin PrC- The Assassin prestige class from the Dungeon Master's Guide works differently than normal for Shadow Assassins. Rather than gaining a new form of spellcasting from taking the class, each level in the PrC advances his Shadow Assassin spellcasting by one level. Additionally, class levels in the base class and the PrC stack when considering the DC of his death attack.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-10-13, 12:33 PM
Someone? Anyone?

Elfstone
2011-10-13, 08:33 PM
Interesting...

Some how, I thought of ToB. One guess as to the style. (Shadow hand, if you don't know ToB) Thats what I originally thought when I saw "deadly swordsmen".

Looks interesting.

Surprise strike, shadows viel, and all the other 1st level abilities are repeated. Once more a few abilities down from the original.

If you do know ToB, give this class a few manouvers and a progression equal to 3/4 of a sword sage. For more fun options. If you don't id recommend learning it.

I dislike dead levels, so something fun at one of the 4 ded levels near the end would be nice. Perhaps a ranged attack?

Grod_The_Giant
2011-10-13, 09:35 PM
Some how, I thought of ToB. One guess as to the style. (Shadow hand, if you don't know ToB) Thats what I originally thought when I saw "deadly swordsmen".
If you do know ToB, give this class a few manouvers and a progression equal to 3/4 of a sword sage. For more fun options. If you don't id recommend learning it.

I do know the ToB, but... I don't particularly want to use it with this class. Spells and maneuvers always feels a bit redundant and a lot overcomplicated to me. I suppose I could make a variant, probably with full BAB, no spellcasting, and Shadow Hand/Diamond Mind maneuvers...

Surprise strike, shadows viel, and all the other 1st level abilities are repeated. Once more a few abilities down from the original.

Whoops. Nice catch.

I dislike dead levels, so something fun at one of the 4 ded levels near the end would be nice. Perhaps a ranged attack?

That was actually one of the things I was looking for suggestions on... I don't have any really good ideas at the moment.

Eldest
2011-10-13, 09:46 PM
I don't think you get bonus spells known from a high ability score.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-10-13, 10:03 PM
I don't think you get bonus spells known from a high ability score.

I copied the spellcasting numbers from the bard. At the levels indicated, he has 0 spells/day. If his ability score is high enough that he gets one bonus spell to cast at that level, he knows spells. If not, he effectively has to wait another level before getting new spells.

Eldest
2011-10-14, 07:12 AM
So the (1) is your notation instead of an astrix...
Also, one of the '('s in the table is actually a '9'.

Elfinor
2011-10-14, 08:25 AM
I know a lot of brewers aren't incredibly fond of the Jack of All trades approach you've taken but I do very much like it :smallamused:
A couple of issues:

Please switch the (1) in the spells known table for an asterisk, it is slightly confusing
You said that Charisma is the spellcasting stat in the introductory spiel, could you clarify if it's INT casting, CHA casting or Favored Soul-style both?

And gratuitous opinion:

I feel like there should be a blind fight in there somewhere?
Shadow's Mask seems a little overpowered, perhaps restrict its duration and uses per day - it's like having a quickened greater invisibility on call. I could see it becoming an immediate action though.
An attack bonus to Surprise Attacks is all very well, but I think a low-moderate Sudden Strike progression would add a bit more of an assassin vibe to the class. You may need to move class features around to accomplish this though. Also, perhaps tone down Shadow's Wrath to half class level as well - that's quite a powerful ability.
Possibly tone down the spell progression just a little bit.

That said, I do like what you've done with it already and I'm pleased that he's able to hold his own in direct combat:smallgrin:

Grod_The_Giant
2011-10-14, 09:18 AM
Please switch the (1) in the spells known table for an asterisk, it is slightly confusing
You said that Charisma is the spellcasting stat in the introductory spiel, could you clarify if it's INT casting, CHA casting or Favored Soul-style both?
[/LIST]
Done.

I feel like there should be a blind fight in there somewhere?
Good idea.

Shadow's Mask seems a little overpowered, perhaps restrict its duration and uses per day - it's like having a quickened greater invisibility on call. I could see it becoming an immediate action though.
OTOH, it is a 17th level ability...

An attack bonus to Surprise Attacks is all very well, but I think a low-moderate Sudden Strike progression would add a bit more of an assassin vibe to the class. You may need to move class features around to accomplish this though. Also, perhaps tone down Shadow's Wrath to half class level as well - that's quite a powerful ability.
Hmm...

Eldest
2011-10-14, 10:30 AM
Shadow’s Mask (Su):
At 17th level, a Shadow Assassin is more a creature of shadow then light. While in an area with shadowy or no illumination, he can fade into the shadows and become fully invisible as a swift action. He does not become visible when attacking.
It doesn't say if he becomes visible after he leaves the shadowy area, might want to specify that.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-10-14, 11:48 AM
Made a number of minor changes.

Removed Sudden Strike and Shadow's Wrath, and replaced them with a moderate Sneak Attack progression, cribbed from the Psychic Rogue
Added an ability to grant party members darkvision and blindsense, so that he plays well with others.
Nerfed the 7th level Death Attack a bit, and removed the limit on the 17th level version.
Added Blindfight
Weakened Shadow's Wrath a bit.

Andion Isurand
2011-10-14, 11:28 PM
Your fort save progression has a copy+paste error.

In addition, as long as you are using a chassis simlar to the bard, you should reduce the hit dice to d6 given all the special features you gain. Especially since the spells are Int based, reducing MAD.

YouLostMe
2011-10-15, 01:37 AM
Oh, jeez, this seems pretty weak.

I only skimmed, but this appears to be a bit of arcane spellcasting (no armor!) on top of a stealth melee combatant (slight armor). It also has sneak and death attacks (requiring time spent studying) and then that spellcasting (requiring time spent casting).

It just really seems low on internal synergy.

Elfinor
2011-10-15, 08:09 AM
Oh, jeez, this seems pretty weak.

I only skimmed, but this appears to be a bit of arcane spellcasting (no armor!) on top of a stealth melee combatant (slight armor). It also has sneak and death attacks (requiring time spent studying) and then that spellcasting (requiring time spent casting).

It just really seems low on internal synergy.
You've clearly missed the other class abilities, heck if anything it's too powerful. In my mind, one of its best aspects is that it can stand toe-to-toe with a fighter in darkness and come out ahead (depending on items and various factors) even discounting spells. He can sneak better than a rogue. He also has the same spellcasting progression as a bard, with a good-but-not-game-breaking spell list.

This class would be a solid tier 3 - it has a clear Achilles heel (needs shadowy illumination or less) but has tremendous versatility with its illusion (and save or die) spells and great skill list regardless of illumination. Spellcasting and most special abilities are keyed off INT. Similar to a bard, though with a far more combat/stealth oriented focus.

EDIT: Just noticed the fortitude saving throw progression is wonky, I assume it's meant to be low progression? Also clarified post and fixed grammar.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-10-15, 09:18 AM
Your fort save progression has a copy+paste error.

In addition, as long as you are using a chassis simlar to the bard, you should reduce the hit dice to d6 given all the special features you gain. Especially since the spells are Int based, reducing MAD.

Thanks for pointing out the typo in the Fort progression. And... you may be right about the HD. For some reason I assumed that the rogue had a d8 :smallconfused: Seeing as how all of the chassis classes (bard, rogue, and assassin) have a d6...

stuff
Thank you. That's pretty much exactly the goal of this class.

Elfstone
2011-10-15, 10:40 AM
Yay! No dead levels. +1 Cookie for you.

Right now I would define the strengths and weaknesses as follows.
Strengths

Can hide in the dark very well
Minor spellcasting to help said hiding and misdirection as well as a few buffs
Ambush type abilities

Weaknesses

No movement related abilities, which are crucial to hit and run fighters.
Strong team player (You need someone to help you flank in order to sneak attack) which is not always bad. Still, a summoning of a "creature of darkness" for a few rounds couldn't hurt.
Besides spells, very melee oriented. I reiterate my comment about ranged attacks. Perhaps gank a ranged shadow hand manouver or the concept? Mid level ability, preferably

I still feel like this guy could use more abilities/options and still not be pushing anything power wise.
Just my views.

Andion Isurand
2011-10-15, 11:17 AM
I would reduce the bonus to Hide, Move Silently, Spot and Search to 1/2 class level.

I would include the Poison Use (standard action) and Improved Poison Use (move action) abilities, and grant a normal DC progression for the Death Attack (10 + 1/2 class level + Int Mod)

I would do away with the abilities to grant allies darkvision/blindsense and put Darkvision on the spell list.

YouLostMe
2011-10-15, 02:57 PM
You've clearly missed the other class abilities, heck if anything it's too powerful. In my mind, one of its best aspects is that it can stand toe-to-toe with a fighter in darkness and come out ahead (depending on items and various factors) even discounting spells. He can sneak better than a rogue. He also has the same spellcasting progression as a bard, with a good-but-not-game-breaking spell list.

This class would be a solid tier 3 - it has a clear Achilles heel (needs shadowy illumination or less) but has tremendous versatility with its illusion (and save or die) spells and great skill list regardless of illumination. Spellcasting and most special abilities are keyed off INT. Similar to a bard, though with a far more combat/stealth oriented focus.

EDIT: Just noticed the fortitude saving throw progression is wonky, I assume it's meant to be low progression? Also clarified post and fixed grammar.

I think a balance judgment of that sort is part of the reason players like the monk class--a lot of class abilities isn't exactly the sign of super usefulness.

This guy is a melee sneak attacker. That means he wants armor. That means he's going to incur ASF.
This guy wants at least cover or concealment to hide, an cannot be observed. This means that if he casts darkness or somesuch, opponents will see him casting a spell be observing him--ruining hiding attempts.
He wants to cast darkness in combat (with his ASF), but darkness isn't on his spell list till 4th level, so that semi-useful schtick doesn't even come online for some of the most commonly-played levels of the game.

This class does not mesh with itself, probably lagging below Tier 3 and above Tier 4 if it makes good use of its spell list (and by that, I mean buying a tower shield for hiding and spamming concealment before stabbing).

There's really no need for a spell list at all--just give this guy the ability to make small patches of darkness (since that's what he wants in combat) once per encounter, which upgrades as levels increase. You will have a simpler class, and if you make it a swift action at higher levels, you'll have much better internal synergy.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-10-15, 03:40 PM
Weaknesses
* No movement related abilities, which are crucial to hit and run fighters.
* Strong team player (You need someone to help you flank in order to sneak attack) which is not always bad. Still, a summoning of a "creature of darkness" for a few rounds couldn't hurt.
* Besides spells, very melee oriented. I reiterate my comment about ranged attacks. Perhaps gank a ranged shadow hand manouver or the concept? Mid level ability, preferably
*Movement... yeah, that's always a bit of a problem. Suggestions?
*Kind of funny how that works out. On the one hand, invisibility spells, hide in plain sight, super-sneaking... on the other hand, that sounds like a pretty cool ability, in all honesty.
*Not a bad suggestion. Or maybe allow sneak attacks at longer levels if he starts from hiding...

I would reduce the bonus to Hide, Move Silently, Spot and Search to 1/2 class level.

I would include the Poison Use (standard action) and Improved Poison Use (move action) abilities, and grant a normal DC progression for the Death Attack (10 + 1/2 class level + Int Mod)

I would do away with the abilities to grant allies darkvision/blindsense and put Darkvision on the spell list.

Hmm... poison, yes, good call. The bonus reduction... maybe, yeah. But I'm sticking with the ability- not everyone is going to want to waste spells buffing the party (which isn't really the point of the class to begin with), and I'd rather have a slightly strange ability that boosts teamwork than cause conflict.

This guy is a melee sneak attacker. That means he wants armor. That means he's going to incur ASF
He can wear light armor without incurring ASF- check the proficiency paragraph. I guess I should probably add add another mention in the spellcasting section, since I think someone else made that mistake as well.

This guy wants at least cover or concealment to hide, an cannot be observed. This means that if he casts darkness or somesuch, opponents will see him casting a spell be observing him--ruining hiding attempts.
He buffs before sneaking up to foes? And I'm pretty sure you can cast spells while hiding...

He wants to cast darkness in combat (with his ASF), but darkness isn't on his spell list till 4th level, so that semi-useful schtick doesn't even come online for some of the most commonly-played levels of the game.
Oh no, he has to wait three levels before he can cast a spell that gives him a huge advantage at everything. He only has sneak attack, a medium BAB, a few first-level spells, trapfinding, plenty of skill points, better sneaking than the rogue...

There's really no need for a spell list at all--just give this guy the ability to make small patches of darkness (since that's what he wants in combat) once per encounter, which upgrades as levels increase. You will have a simpler class, and if you make it a swift action at higher levels, you'll have much better internal synergy.
Except that's not what I want for the class. This is the spellcaster-rogue/assassin that the Beguiler isn't quite. The idea is that he can use his magic to enhance his infiltration abilities- self-buffs, illusions to distract guards, divinations for scouting, mobility-enhancements, a few trap spells... I don't know about you, but I could do a lot with the spells on his list.
I could very easily make a variant with no spellcasting, probably involving Shadow Hand maneuvers and a full BAB. But that's not the class we're discussing here.

Elfstone
2011-10-15, 04:24 PM
The picture at the top STILL makes me thin of a gish that casts buff spells and then sneak attacks with Shadow hand manouvers..

Anyway, I would hold off on ACF's until your certain about this class.

As for movement, First, just teleporting within shadow. As time goes on, and so do levels, allow low light or a certain distance from shadow and perhaps from shadow to shadow. At 20th, let them teleport into someone else's shadow and then attack.

Elfinor
2011-10-16, 02:25 AM
Thank you. That's pretty much exactly the goal of this class.I'm fond of it.

As for my two cents worth on possible changes:
Ditch the sneak attack for sudden strike. It's worse, I know - but it does fit in more with the solitary vibe. You can always bring back Shadow's Wrath or add other features (such as the mobility ones) to compensate. Or give him d8 HD (you may have been thinking of Pathfinder) again.

For mobility, I suppose his spell list gives him quite a few options there. I would suggest adding the swift versions of Invisibility, Expeditious Retreat and Fly to the list. Other possiblities: Spring Attack/Bounding Assault, Increased movement speed, Cheetah's Sprint (10xspeed charge/hour), Tiger's Pounce (Full Attack post-charge)

Or the Nightcrawler option: Shadow Jump (as Shadowdancer, or maybe just requiring dim illumination, or no requirements) with the maybe-separate ability to make one attack at your highest BAB-5 (due to teleport disorientation) after teleporting, which is always a Sneak Attack/Sudden Strike/Surprise Attack. This could later upgrade to no penalty attacks, 'any standard action' (allowing spellcasting) or a full attack later on - though Shadow Pounce is a little infamous for a reason.

Elfstone's mobility suggestion looks good too, especially the capstone - I salivated over that capstone, kudos for flavor there. You could possibly combine it with the Nightcrawler suggestion above.

I also agree with Andion's suggestion to decrease the Hide/Move Silently bonus on Shadow's Veil.

YouLostMe
2011-10-16, 06:00 AM
He can wear light armor without incurring ASF- check the proficiency paragraph. I guess I should probably add add another mention in the spellcasting section, since I think someone else made that mistake as well.I normally see that as a separate ability. K, that's dealth with.

He buffs before sneaking up to foes? And I'm pretty sure you can cast spells while hiding...That requires knowing that combat is about to start, or doing a dungeon crawl where you're constantly fighting. Surprise attacks are a smack in the face, as is battle in the tavern or combat with bandits on the road.

And spells when hiding works if they're Somatic and/or Material-only. Darkness uses a Verbal component--you can't speak a spell and not have anyone notice you.

Oh no, he has to wait three levels before he can cast a spell that gives him a huge advantage at everything. He only has sneak attack, a medium BAB, a few first-level spells, trapfinding, plenty of skill points, better sneaking than the rogue...Yes. Mild sneak attack like the rogue (worse than the rogue at level 3), medium BAB so he'll probably hit like the rogue, trapfinding just like the rogue, and I'm not seeing how his hide is any better at low levels...

He's basically a rogue, my friend. And guess what class is ranked at Tier 4?

Except that's not what I want for the class. This is the spellcaster-rogue/assassin that the Beguiler isn't quite. The idea is that he can use his magic to enhance his infiltration abilities- self-buffs, illusions to distract guards, divinations for scouting, mobility-enhancements, a few trap spells... I don't know about you, but I could do a lot with the spells on his list.
I could very easily make a variant with no spellcasting, probably involving Shadow Hand maneuvers and a full BAB. But that's not the class we're discussing here.
That's not what I wanted to discuss either. I don't want maneuvers at all, because those would hurt the class, but he's missing his schtick. His schtick is darkness and when I play games, I want my character's schtick to work all 20 levels. Heck, at high levels, some monsters have blindsight and see in magical darkness and just don't care because they spam AoE attacks or have decided to probe his mind.

The whole "shadow" assassin doesn't incorporate "shadow" till level 4, and then doesn't scale after the effects of things like deeper darkness are done, and so peters out. I'd say this guy is an effective shadow assassin from levels 4 to around 12-14, depending on what sorts of opponents the DM tosses at you. It gives out just before invisibility shenanigans die out.

As for that whole "needs utility" thing, I agree. But you can do that with class abilities, or a small list of SLAs or somesuch. It doesn't really matter what your choice is, so long as you are differentiating and supporting the theme of this character (the theme being "darkness" and "stabbing fools").

Elfinor
2011-10-16, 07:29 AM
He's basically a rogue, my friend. And guess what class is ranked at Tier 4?
Let's compare it to the rogue at levels 3 and 13. At level 3, the Shadow Assassin does not have that extra die of sneak attack, nor does he likely have the same dexterity as the rogue, but he does... maybe have surprise strike... it's on the table... um which would mean he'd have a rogue's accuracy, maybe even edge him out. His Intelligence is likely higher, so we could probably assume they have a similar skill total. His stealth skill would probably be equal to or greater than the rogue, thanks to shadow's veil. Blindfight gives him edge where it's supposed to, in dim illumination he has a better hit chance and better vision than a rogue. A lot of his cantrips (ghost sound, message, open/close) have uses in infiltration work. He probably has a bonus 1st level spell - so he'll be able to cast two first level spells out of a pool of three known. The number of uses for Silent Image alone is astounding. The rogue does have a slight edge in raw damage dealt, even in dim light, but the shadow assassin has a very clear advantage in misleading opponents (potentially getting in more damage in the process) and hence getting in and out of situations alive. Another comparision: A bard (Tier 3) of this level is also weaker in combat than a rogue, but has more options. The Shadow Assassin's spells give him more options.

As is the case with all moderate to high level spellcasters, by 13th level there is no contest. Although he has +2d6 less sneak attack damage dice than a rogue he has a death attack (low chance of affecting high-level targets, but still), far superior senses, HiPS, better attack and defenses in dim illumination and useful 4th level spells (assuming no bonus 5th level spells) like Greater Invisibility - useful in almost any encounter. A UMD rogue could potentially duplicate some of these abilities, but it would be costly to do so and the Shadow Assassin has UMD as a class skill too.

Clearly superior to a rogue. And it has magic:smallbiggrin:

EDIT II: Found a psionic power and thought of you:smallwink: Not sure if/how you'll want to use it though - it seems a tad melodramatic. It's on the SRD here (www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlLight.htm).

YouLostMe
2011-10-16, 03:49 PM
Let's compare it to the rogue at levels 3 and 13.

No.

My point was that he was weaker than Tier 3 at lower levels. And when I went through, his lower levels were basically a Tier 4 class. He's better than a rogue at higher levels, but I have a completely different argument for that.

Please please please read the posts before you respond to them.

Elfinor
2011-10-16, 06:13 PM
I did. The 'at level 3' section makes by far the majority of my previous post - with a minor comparison to the tier 3 Bard (more difficult to do, since they have less overlap) that I probably can/should expand upon (Later, Time Waster:smalltongue:) as it's a little nebulous. The 'at level 13' section is more an addendum, though admittedly the opening sentence does imply I gave them equal study. :smallconfused: Maybe try reading it... again? I did attempt to address what you said, really!

If you have a problem with the actual meat of my explanation though - I guess it is just opinion in the end. I'm not going to spend much more time justifying mine, though you may find (apparent:smallfurious:) errors in my reasoning.

EDIT II: I also want it on record that I was not discussing all of your (YouLostMe's) concerns/suggestions, mostly the low level tier rating (flexibility). Just in case.

YouLostMe
2011-10-16, 07:58 PM
I did. The 'at level 3' section makes by far the majority of my previous post

I admit, I stopped reading after that first sentence. I will parse and reply now.

At level 3, the Shadow Assassin does not have that extra die of sneak attack, nor does he likely have the same dexterity as the rogue, but he does... maybe have surprise strike... it's on the table...And not in the class. I assumed it was a typo. Unless it's sudden strike or something that I'm not familiar with--it also doesn't appear to be in the SRD. Please help me here.

um which would mean he'd have a rogue's accuracy, maybe even edge him out
I don't see the connection. More MAD means less of other stats. With same BAB, that seems like a lower chance to hit. But the difference is pretty negligible at low levels.

His Intelligence is likely higher, so we could probably assume they have a similar skill total. His stealth skill would probably be equal to or greater than the rogue, thanks to shadow's veil.Yes, if he is in darkness, then gets a 1-3 bonus (depending what level we're looking at) on his sneaking. That hardly impacts anything till around level 3, especially if the rogue has more Dexterity.

Blindfight gives him edge where it's supposed to, in dim illumination he has a better hit chance and better vision than a rogue.Pray tell, where is this dim illumination? In the cavern? In the dungeon? And what are his teammates doing to compensate for the 20% miss chance? Does he just give them the middle finger? That's awfully nice of him...

A lot of his cantrips (ghost sound, message, open/close) have uses in infiltration work.Uses, yes. But he gets 2-5 of them per day, and their uses aren't exactly fantastic. This is not the dividing line between T4 and T3.

He probably has a bonus 1st level spell - so he'll be able to cast two first level spells out of a pool of three known. The number of uses for Silent Image alone is astounding. Silent image is a very controversial spell, and without sound or smell you can probably simulate a wall or a dead body from far away. Nice utility, but not fantastic.

I do, see, however, that there is entangle, sleep, Grease, and Cause Fear. Those are nice spells, and I see the use of those winning .5-1.5 encounters per day (depending on number of spells and possible success/failures for saves), which is definitely better offensive ability over the rogue. But while that's quite good, the rogue also gets well-respected ability Evasion over the shadow assassin. So I can see more "winning" from the shadow assasin, but less "getting hurt" from the rogue. Balance-wise, I'm not impressed.

The rogue does have a slight edge in raw damage dealt, even in dim light, but the shadow assassin has a very clear advantage in misleading opponents (potentially getting in more damage in the process) and hence getting in and out of situations alive. Another comparision: A bard (Tier 3) of this level is also weaker in combat than a rogue, but has more options. The Shadow Assassin's spells give him more options.Where is this misleading coming from? His spells? He needs a standard action to cast that spell, my friend, which is about the same amount of time a rogue needs to stab someone in the face.

And the bard example is pretty weak--bards are considered Tier 3 only if you're using things like Dragonfire Inspiration (which JaronK decided he would use), where all your allies get bonus dice of energy damage to attack. A bard gets his weapon plus 1d6 fire/cold/sonic, which isn't precisely small fare at these low levels. Those spells are nice, but they're not really what makes the bard shine at low power.

Yitzi
2011-11-18, 03:47 PM
As a party member, he's got serious limitations (unless in a similarly defensive party). As a solo class, however, this could get extremely nasty, particularly if he grabs Silent Spell.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-11-18, 03:51 PM
As a party member, he's got serious limitations (unless in a similarly defensive party). As a solo class, however, this could get extremely nasty, particularly if he grabs Silent Spell.

I assume you mean the requiring-darkness thing? I tried to address that with the Share the Night abilities. I suppose I could move them up a bit...

Nihilarian
2011-11-18, 05:26 PM
Spellcasting: Seems like this would be a candidate for Shadow Magic, from Tome of Magic. Nothing wrong with arcane spellcasting, just thought Shadow Magic would be better, flavorwise.

If you don't use Shadow Magic, you should find more Darkness spells. I know there are a few (though the only one I know is in Ravenloft, and damages characters that aren't evil). The Darkness Domain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/domains.htm#darknessDomain) may be of use. I especially think Armor of Darkness should be on your list. You may also be interested in Assassin spells in the Spell Compendium.

Sneak Attack: This might be best off as Sudden Strike. Do you care if the Shadow Assassin flanks to get his bonus damage?

Surprise Strike: This is on the table, but I don't know what it is for. I think you should replace it with Darkness as a spell-like (or even supernatural) ability 1/day, increasing uses every few levels until eventually it's at will. Maybe even make it so that its spell level equals half your Shadow Assassin level?

Shadow's Veil/Eyes of the Night: Perhaps cut it down to 1/2?

Death Attack: (DC 10 + the Shadow Assassin’s Int modifier). I wouldn't use it. If I wanted to use death attack I'd rather go into assassin, or wait until level 18 for Killing Blow. You should add 1/2 Shadow Assassin level.

Whisper of the Night: Shouldn't this be in only shadowy illumination?

Gift of the Night: Duration? It's a swift action with no duration. Is it like a stance?

Killing Blow: Better than Death Attack, but it should still probably be 10 + 1/2 Shadow Assassin class level.

Shadow's Oblivion: same as Killing Blow.

motionmatrix
2011-11-18, 05:32 PM
Change the Share the night ability to only affect his darkness effects, extend duration to hours per level, since as it is written now he can technically give them Share the Night at will anyways.

That should help with the party issues.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-11-18, 06:46 PM
Spellcasting: Seems like this would be a candidate for Shadow Magic, from Tome of Magic. Nothing wrong with arcane spellcasting, just thought Shadow Magic would be better, flavorwise.
It sounds cool, but I'm not familiar with it, other than hearing that it's quite weak.

If you don't use Shadow Magic, you should find more Darkness spells. I know there are a few (though the only one I know is in Ravenloft, and damages characters that aren't evil). The Darkness Domain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/domains.htm#darknessDomain) may be of use. I especially think Armor of Darkness should be on your list. You may also be interested in Assassin spells in the Spell Compendium.
I might make up a supplemental list, but for now I only included spells found in core.

Sneak Attack: This might be best off as Sudden Strike. Do you care if the Shadow Assassin flanks to get his bonus damage?
It doesn't quite fit the flavor, but this is primarily in the interests of keeping him relevant in combat.

Surprise Strike: This is on the table, but I don't know what it is for. I think you should replace it with Darkness as a spell-like (or even supernatural) ability 1/day, increasing uses every few levels until eventually it's at will. Maybe even make it so that its spell level equals half your Shadow Assassin level?
Whoops- it was an ability I took off.

Death Attack: (DC 10 + the Shadow Assassin’s Int modifier). I wouldn't use it. If I wanted to use death attack I'd rather go into assassin, or wait until level 18 for Killing Blow. You should add 1/2 Shadow Assassin level.
<snip>
Whisper of the Night: Shouldn't this be in only shadowy illumination?
Good catches.[/QUOTE]

Change the Share the night ability to only affect his darkness effects, extend duration to hours per level, since as it is written now he can technically give them Share the Night at will anyways.

That should help with the party issues.
Good call.

Realms of Chaos
2011-11-18, 06:52 PM
And spells when hiding works if they're Somatic and/or Material-only. Darkness uses a Verbal component--you can't speak a spell and not have anyone notice you.

This actually gives me an idea. You know how all bardic spells need a verbal component? As the shadow assassin has a pretty limited list, why not say that none of its spells have verbal components?

Grod_The_Giant
2011-11-18, 09:03 PM
This actually gives me an idea. You know how all bardic spells need a verbal component? As the shadow assassin has a pretty limited list, why not say that none of its spells have verbal components?

Ooo... I approve.

motionmatrix
2011-11-19, 08:42 AM
Free silent spell is not a bad idea at all. But unless the spell list is really balanced, it can be game breaker real fast. I would probably either allow him to cast silent if he ups the spell level by one, but not change the casting time.

Or instead give him charges per day, like 3 times per day the next spell he casts is silent and still: He does not turn invisible, he simply hides well so still is beneficial and flavor fitting. Then let him gain a few more uses as he levels up.

Also, on my previous post I meant to state that based on your fluff on the class, it would also make sense that share the night does not give full blown darkvision to everyone, since you make the shadows seem to follow their own whims, just loving the Shadow assassin

Nihilarian
2011-11-19, 11:18 AM
True, it is weaker than arcane. Perhaps have it as an acf?

Does this replace the standard assassin, or can they be taken together? It might be worthwhile to include a clause for Shadow Assassin/Assassin builds. Perhaps instead of gaining new spellcasting, taking levels in PrC Assassin let you add the classes spell list to the Base Shadow Assassin spell list (1st level spells at 1st level, 2nd at 4th level, 3rd at 7th, 4th at 10th), and either have the last level of PrC Assassin grant Killing Blow to the character, or have the levels stack for the purpose of determining when the character gets death attack related abilities.

Regardless, Death Attack should have a clause in it that says if the Shadow Assassin gets Death Attack from multiple sources, they stack. For Example: A Shadow Assassin 7/ Assassin 4 with a 16 Int makes a death attack. The DC is 10+1/2 Shadow Assassin level (3) + Assassin level (4) + Int modifier (3) for a total of 20.

Note: The reason I'm pushing Shadow Magic is because a) I really think it's thematically appropriate, b) while Shadow Magic is weaker than arcane spellcasting it is still full 9 levels of magic and c) Shadow Magic only has one official class.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-11-19, 12:50 PM
Does this replace the standard assassin, or can they be taken together? It might be worthwhile to include a clause for Shadow Assassin/Assassin builds. Perhaps instead of gaining new spellcasting, taking levels in PrC Assassin let you add the classes spell list to the Base Shadow Assassin spell list (1st level spells at 1st level, 2nd at 4th level, 3rd at 7th, 4th at 10th), and either have the last level of PrC Assassin grant Killing Blow to the character, or have the levels stack for the purpose of determining when the character gets death attack related abilities.

Regardless, Death Attack should have a clause in it that says if the Shadow Assassin gets Death Attack from multiple sources, they stack. For Example: A Shadow Assassin 7/ Assassin 4 with a 16 Int makes a death attack. The DC is 10+1/2 Shadow Assassin level (3) + Assassin level (4) + Int modifier (3) for a total of 20.
You're right. I'll add a sidebar.

Note: The reason I'm pushing Shadow Magic is because a) I really think it's thematically appropriate, b) while Shadow Magic is weaker than arcane spellcasting it is still full 9 levels of magic and c) Shadow Magic only has one official class.
I have no real objections; I'm just not familiar with the material-- I don't even own the Tome of Magic, and while a friend owns the book, I've only really looked at the Truenamer. If you want to draw up an ACF, I'd be happy to post it and give you credit.

Nihilarian
2011-11-19, 04:37 PM
I'll include Mouseferatu's fixes within the design, where applicable. He's the creator of the shadowcaster. Those that don't apply are struck out, my comments are bolded

I'll do you one better. I'll post the latest version, which has a few further tweaks from the one I posted a while back. It still needs playtesting, so I can't swear it's all going to work as written, but this where it stands now.

1) Charisma determines the DC to save against your mysteries. Intelligence determines the highest level mystery you can cast. Like the Standard Shadow Assassin, it is all determined by Intelligence

2) Grant bonus mysteries per day based on Charisma. These would work just like bonus spells. For instance, if your Cha is 14, you can cast one extra mystery of 1st-level equivalent and one of 2nd-level equivalent per day. (Note that each mystery does give an equivalent level, even though you don't learn them by level.) Again, Intelligence

3) Eliminate the rule that says you have to take mysteries in a given Path in order. If you want to jump around, so as to broaden your versatility, you can.

4) Within a category—Apprentice, Initiate, Master—you must have at least two mysteries of any given level before you can take any mysteries of the next higher level. For instance, you must have two 1st-level mysteries before you can take any 2nds, and at least two 2nds before you can take any 3rds.

5) Eliminate the rule that says you get a bonus feat equal to half the number of paths you have access to. Instead, you get a bonus feat equal to the total number of Paths you complete. Thus, while you are no longer required to take the entirety of a given Path, there's still encouragement to do so. This is a seperate ability not gained by Shadow Assassins

6) You may “swap out” mysteries, just as a sorcerer does spells known. If you “un-complete” a Path in this way, however, you lose access to the bonus feat you gained from completing that Path. (You can regain access by re-completing the Path, completing a different Path and choosing that feat as your new bonus, or selecting that feat as a normal feat at your next opportunity.) Again, seperate ability

7) Once your Apprentice Mysteries become supernatural abilities, change the save DC from 10 + equivalent spell level + Cha to 10 + 1/2 caster level + Cha. This makes them useful even against high-HD opponents, and follows the pattern for other supernatural abilities. Intelligence again. Note that standard Shadow Assassins never gain this ability. Currently the only way they can is through Favored Mystery, as far as I know.

And here's the rough draft.

Shadow Assassin Mysteries
The standard Shadow Assassin is a wielder of spells and stealth, a killer that hides in the shadows. Some Shadow Assassins forgo arcane abilities in favor of plumbing the depths of darkness. These Shadow Assassins use Shadow Magic, described in Tome of Magic in greater detail.
Class: Shadow Assassin
Level: 1st
Replaces: You do not gain Shadow Assassin Spellcasting. Weapon and Armor proficiency is modified.

Benefits: The Shadow Assassin gains Fundamentals and Mysteries like a Shadowcaster. Replace the Spellcasting ability with Fundamentals of Shadow (gained at 1st level) and Mysteries and Paths (gained at 2nd). Modify Weapon and Armor Proficiency.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Replace the word "spells" with the word "mysteries".

Fundamentals of Shadow (Su): As a shadow assassin, you must master certain basic powers before proceeding to deeper secrets of shadow. These powers, known as fundamentals, function as supernatural abilities usable three times per day. You begin play with two fundamentals and gain an additional fundamental at 5th level and every 5 additional levels beyond 5th. You can, when gaining a new level, choose a new fundamental in place of another mystery. When choosing a fundamental, you can relearn an already known fundamental, thus gaining another set of uses of that fundamental per day. The save DC of any fundamental is equal to 10 + your Int modifier.

Mysteries and Paths: You do not cast spells as other classes do, but instead invoke mystical secrets called mysteries (see ToM p. 139-153). You know one mystery at 2nd level and gain one additional mystery every class level after 2nd level except 5th, 9th, 13th and 17th levels. Up to 10th level, you can learn only apprentice mysteries. At 11th level, you gain access to initiate mysteries. You can choose your new mystery from any category you have access to (including fundamentals). For instance, at 12th, you could select either a fundamental, an apprentice mystery, or an initiate mystery.

Shadow Magic progresses in very specific stages. Within a category (apprentice or initiate), you can only learn mysteries of a new level if you have learned at least two mysteries of a previous level. For example you cannot learn Flicker (the third mystery of the Ebon Whispers path) until you know at least two 2nd level mysteries.

Mysteries represent thought patterns and formulae so alien that other spells seem simple in comparison. As you progress, however, your connection to the Plane of Shadow grows stronger, and your mysteries more ingrained in your essence. When you are capable of casting only apprentice mysteries, you cast them as though they were arcane spells. They all have somatic components, armor based spell failure chance, and are subject to interruption (but they do not require material components, foci, or verbal components). Whenever you cast a mystery as an arcane spell, observers can make a DC 15 Spot check to note that your shadow is making different gestures from the ones you make when you cast the mystery (see ToM, p. 138).

At 11th level, when you become capable of casting initiate mysteries (whether or not you choose to learn any), your apprentice mysteries become so much a part of you that they now function as spell-like abilities, and they no longer require somatic components. Your new initiate mysteries (when you learn them) function as arcane spells and follow the rules described above.

You can learn a mystery more than once. Each time you relearn a mystery, you gain another set of uses of that mystery per day.

You can use each mystery you know a certain number of times per day depending on whether it is cast as a spell (once) or a spell-like ability (two times). If you gain the ability to use mysteries as a supernatural ability (usually through the use of Favored Mystery) the save DC becomes 10+1/2 your caster level + your Intelligence modifier instead of 10 + mystery level + your Intelligence modifier.

You gain bonus Mysteries based on your Intelligence modifier. These work just like bonus spells. For instance, if your Int is 14, you can cast one extra mystery of 1st-level equivalent and one of 2nd-level equivalent per day.

Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered shadow assassin level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a shadow assassin can choose to learn a new mystery in place of one he already knows. In effect, the shadow assassin "loses" the old mystery in exchange for the new one. The new mystery's level must be the same as that of the mystery being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level shadow assassin mystery the shadow assassin can cast. A shadow assassin may swap only a single mystery at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the mystery at the same time that he gains new mystery known for the level.

I also had some ideas for Mysteries, but these are completely optional. While I think they should be balanced I'd like to have a 2nd (and 3rd, and 4th, etc.) opinion.

APPRENTICE PATHS

SHADOWSTEEL ARMORY
1 Assassin's Dagger: Summon a dagger made from the shadows.
2 Shadow Chain: Summon a chain shirt made from the shadows.
3 Execution at Dawn: Summon a greataxe made from the shadows.

MYSTERIES
Assassin's Dagger
Apprentice, Shadowsteel Armory
Level/School: 1st/Conjuration (Creation)
Range: Personal
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You draw the energy of the shadow, forming it into a dull grey dagger, sharp enough to easily slide into a victims vital areas.

You conjure a dagger into a free hand. It has the same stats as a standard dagger. This weapon can be modified to be made of any materials a dagger can be made of, or made as a masterwork dagger. Doing so (or enchanting the weapon with Dusk's Blade) requires a day long ritual that costs the same as it would to be made, minus the weapons base cost. For example, creating an masterwork cold iron dagger needs a ritual that costs 600 gold. It can also be enchanted as a normal weapon. After modifying or enchanting it (or having someone else enchant it) the dagger will have the same stats whenever you summon it. The weapon disappears when it leaves your hand (if you throw it, it disappears after it strikes) and must be summoned again. If it is destroyed, the pieces disappear and you cannot summon it again for 1 day.

Executioner's Axe
Level/School: 3rd/Conjuration (Summoning)
Duration: 1 round/level

You draw the energy of the shadow, forming it into a silver axe that reflects no light, but does reflect your victims most vulnerable area.

You conjure a greataxe into your hands (as long as they are free). It has the same stats as a standard greataxe. This armor can be modified to be made of any materials a greataxe can be made of, or made as a masterwork greataxe. Doing so (or enchanting the weapon with Execution at Dawn) requires a day long ritual that costs the same as it would to be made, minus the weapons base cost. For example, creating an alchemical silver greataxe needs a ritual that costs 180 gold. It can also be enchanted as a normal weapon. After modifying or enchanting it (or having someone else enchant it) the greataxe will have the same stats whenever you summon it. The greataxe disappears if you drop it and must be summoned again. If it is destroyed, the pieces disappear and you cannot summon it again for 1 day.

Shadow Chain
Level/School: 3rd/Conjuration (Summoning)
Duration: 1 minute/level

You draw the energy of the shadow, forming it into a dark chain shirt that shifts hues with the shadows.

You conjure a chain shirt onto your body. It has the same stats as a standard chain shirt. This armor can be modified to be made of any materials a chain shirt can be made of, or made as a masterwork chain shirt. Doing so (or enchanting the armor with Midnight Armor) requires a day long ritual that costs the same as it would to be made, minus the weapons base cost. For example, creating an adamantine chain shirt needs a ritual that costs 5,000 gold. It can also be enchanted as normal armor. After modifying or enchanting it (or having someone else enchant it) the chain shirt will have the same stats whenever you summon it. The armor disappears if you take it off and must be summoned again. If it is destroyed, the pieces disappear and you cannot summon it again for 1 day.

Shadowsteel Enchantments

Dusk's Blade
Only Assassin's Dagger can have the Shadowblade enchantment. A Shadowblade weapon deals one extra point of damage per sneak attack die.

Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Dusk's Dagger; Price +1 bonus.

Execution at Dawn
Only Executioner's Axe can have the Execution at Dawn enchantment. An Execution at Dawn weapon can be used to make a death attack after 2 rounds of study rather than 3 if the wielder has the ability to make a Death Attack. This bonus also reduces the time for Killing Blow, when used against a creature normally immune.

Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Executioner's Axe; Price +1 bonus.

Midnight Armor
Only Midnight Chain can have the Armor of Darkness enchantment. An Armor of Darkness chain shirt can be used to cast Darkness as a supernatural ability once per day.

Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Midnight Chain; Price +1 bonus.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Reduced the power of the mysteries. It's only an Apprentice Path.

mootoall
2011-11-20, 10:27 PM
Immediate Action invisibility only in darkness at 17th level is really weak. I'd grant it much earlier, and then improve it until, at 17th level, they get Superior Invisibility as an Immediate Action at-will. The equivalent of a single, contingent 8th level spell at-will, and not a very powerful one at that, is perfectly in line with a Tier 3-4 class.