PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Necromancer base class [P.E.A.C.H.]

Greyfeld85
2011-10-11, 03:52 PM
Since WotC has yet to build a Necromancer class, i decided to take a stab at it, myself. I've got the most of the basics in place, and currently working on the powers. I'd like a little constructive commentary, whether it be on the balance of the class features, the power level of the at-wills, power suggestions for later levels, paragon path ideas, or anything else you can think of.

Please don't post just to make comments about how crappy the layout looks.

I'm using the wiki on Myth-Weavers to keep all my information, so you can see the class here. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/wiki/index.php/Necromancer#Necromancer)

The Underlord
2011-10-11, 04:42 PM
1. This belongs in the homebrew section
2. WotC already made a necromancer class in heroes of shadow

Greyfeld85
2011-10-11, 05:00 PM
Thanks for moving it to the right forum.

WotC tacked a handful of Necromancy-flavored powers onto the Wizard class. I'm working on a full-blown Necromancer class.

vasharanpaladin
2011-10-11, 05:35 PM
Already done for ya. (http://shadow4e.wikidot.com/necromancer-c) :smallcool:

DragonBaneDM
2011-10-11, 08:37 PM
I believes in you!!! Don't let the fact that "it's been done before" crush your dreamssssss!!!

:rainbow:

Greyfeld85
2011-10-11, 09:18 PM
lol well I looked over that homebrew class, and while it had some good power ideas, I didn't really like the class features, so I'm not worried about being deterred :P But thanks for the support :)

Mindartis
2011-10-11, 11:18 PM
I can dig it. I'm a fan of controllers, myself, so I think it looks pretty cool. However, you only seem to have bonuses for Desecrated Ground. What about those who take Corrupted Touch? Will they eventually get binuses to attacks as well?

Greyfeld85
2011-10-11, 11:25 PM
I can dig it. I'm a fan of controllers, myself, so I think it looks pretty cool. However, you only seem to have bonuses for Desecrated Ground. What about those who take Corrupted Touch? Will they eventually get binuses to attacks as well?

I have a bonus for Corrupted Touch on the Vampiric Touch at-will, and the Black Sludge daily. I'm trying to make sure I don't accidentally overpower the feature, so I'm being tentative about which powers I tack it on to.

But I'm not done with the level 1 powers yet. I'd like to add one more at-will, probably another one or two encounter powers, and one more daily.

Mindartis
2011-10-11, 11:37 PM
I apologize, those completely slipped my eye. Now that I see those, he looks pretty well balanced, which is good. I am somewhat of a newbie (The word noob has such a bad connotation)though, so I might have missed something.

If you don't mind, I might take from your Homebrew in a session I'm will DM in the future. I need something interesting, since divine will be out, and your necromancer looks really cool. Keep up the good work. :smallbiggrin:

Greyfeld85
2011-10-12, 10:03 AM
It probably won't go very far until I flesh out more of its powers, but go right ahead. I won't mind a little free playtesting ;)

Bearpunch
2011-10-12, 12:23 PM
This is looking pretty cool. I have one question, though, in reference to:

Until all the zombies summoned by this power are reduced to 0 hit points, you do not lose the healing surge lost when a creature you summon drops to 0 hit points
Does this mean that when both zombies die, you lose on healing surge? Or Two, or something else?

Also, it may just be my lack of familiarity with controllers, but the side effects seem a little powerful. Can I get someone else to weigh in on this?

Greyfeld85
2011-10-12, 01:04 PM
This is looking pretty cool. I have one question, though, in reference to:

Does this mean that when both zombies die, you lose on healing surge? Or Two, or something else?

According to the Summoning keyword in the PHB2, you lose a healing surge when your summon is reduced to 0 HP. I patterned the wording of this summon after the Summon Mind Wierds psionic power. To answer your question, you lose 1 healing surge after all your summons from that power die.

Also, it may just be my lack of familiarity with controllers, but the side effects seem a little powerful. Can I get someone else to weigh in on this?

I'm waiting for more commentary as well, but if you cite specific examples that stand out to you, I can tell you why I made the decisions I did at least.

Bearpunch
2011-10-12, 07:36 PM
I also suggest making a feat that gives the scythe, sickle, etc. the same ability as the dagger:

Any dagger can function as a necromancer implement. However, you don't gain the dagger's proficiency bonus when using the dagger as an implement.

As far as specific examples, looking over the class again, I can't find anything that would be too overpowered. I think it is just that I have little to no experience (Okay, my friend played a mage once) in controllers.

Greyfeld85
2011-10-13, 07:44 PM
No comments from anybody else?

Surrealistik
2011-10-13, 07:50 PM
My own attempt at the Necromancer class:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195549

Hopefully you can derive something useful from it.

Bearpunch
2011-10-13, 08:55 PM
No comments from anybody else?

Nobody likes ot pay attention to 4e stuff on the Homebrew board. But hey, keep working on it, and I promise you I will play test it.