PDA

View Full Version : Planeswalker, an Epic Destiny [3.5, MtG-based, PEACH]

Mr.Bookworm
2011-10-13, 02:20 PM
Planeswalker

http://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/daily/stf/stf29_nicolBolasPlaneswalker.jpg

You possess the incredibly rare spark necessary to become a planeswalker, and you have ascended to tap into the power of that spark. What you do with that power will determine the legacy you leave behind for all of eternity.

Requirements: 21st level

{table=head]Level |
Benefit

21st | Planewalker's Form, Planewalk

24th | Play the Hand, Mana Pool

27th | Play the Legend

30th | The Final Card

[/table]

Planeswalker's Form (Ex)
As a Planeswalker, you are almost immortal. You no longer age. You gain fast healing equal to 1/3 of your level, immunity to poison, immunity to disease, and no longer need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep.

You also find your form somewhat mutable. You may use disguise self at-will as an extraordinary ability.

Planewalk (Sp)
You may use plane shift and dimension door at-will.

Mana Pool
You gain a pool of Mana points equal to your character level plus a mental modifier (Int, Wis, or Cha) of your choice. These points refresh at the beginning of each day.

In addition, you must align yourself with one color, a cosmic expression of a system of thought and belief, restricted by your alignment.

White: You must be Lawful or Good to take on the color of White. White puts value in the group, the community, and its civilization as a whole. White's ultimate goal is peace, harmony, and perfection — a world where everyone gets along and no one seeks to disturb the bonds of unity that White had worked so long to forge. To govern and protect its community, White makes use of and puts value in a number of broad concepts; morality (ethics, grace, truth), order (law, discipline, duty), uniformity (conformity, religion), and structure (government, planning, reason).

Black: You must be Evil to take on the color of Black. Black is the color of self-indulgence, parasitism, amorality and unfettered desire for power. It believes that the world is made for its taking and that the weak exist to be exploited by the strong. The essence of Black is to see one's own ego as so supremely invaluable, that the prospect of enslavement, of subordinating that ego to another, is utterly inadmissible. So, to be in accord with its perceptions and beliefs, Black simply must discard all obligations but to acquire power for itself. It can be no less than the one supreme being who is subordinate to no other, the possessor of all power in the universe - it must become omnipotent.

Blue: You must be non-Chaotic to take on the color of Blue. Blue is the color that looks on the world and sees opportunity. For Blue, life is a chance to contemplate oneself, and what is possible, and to bring about the best of both. Implicitly, in that general world view, Blue believes in tabula rasa: it sees in each thing, the potential for being anything. One need only understand how, to make the change. So with this ill-formed goal before it, Blue reasons that if it is to make itself better, it must become capable of everything it could be capable of, for that is to "merely add" to its own capabilities. Blue believes it can't possibly be bad to acquire the potential for any conscious action. Thus, Blue, believing it is capable of changing anything if it understands the change, and believing it is imperative that it acquire every capability it could have, concludes that it is imperative that it understand change. Moreover, Blue decides that it must understand everything; for truly, understanding can only improve one's effectiveness in any task. To gain understanding, Blue must acquire knowledge. Since knowledge itself will inform every other decision, Blue forms its principle goal: omniscience, the knowledge of all.

Red: You must be Chaotic to take on the color of Red. Above all else, red values freedom of expression. It wants to do what it wants, when it wants, to whom it wants, and nobody can tell it otherwise. It believes that life would be much more fun if everyone stopped caring about rules, laws and personal appearances and just spent their time indulging their desires. This leads into red's other core value: chaos. Red sees order of any kind as pointlessly inhibiting, believing that only through embracing anarchy could everyone really be free to enjoy life to the fullest. Finally, red is the color of immediate action and immediate gratification. If it wants something it will act on its impulses and take it, regardless of what the consequences may be.

Green: You must be Neutral on at least one axis to take on the color of Green. Green is the color of nature, growth, interdependence and instinct. It believes that obedience the natural order alone is the best way to exist and thus favors a simplistic way of living in harmony with the rest of the world. This can often lead to it be perceived as a pacifistic color, as it does not seek to make conflict with the other colors as long as they leave it alone and do not disrespect nature. However, it is fierce when it feels threatened and can be predatory and aggressive if its instincts dictate.

Play the Hand (Su)
You gain the ability to summon a number of creatures, depending on your alignment. All summoning costs a number of Mana and requires a full-round action. All creatures last for 1 round per character level and unquestioningly obey your orders.

White: You may summon any Good or Lawful creature that could be summoned through a summon monster I-IV. You may summon up to 10 HD worth of monsters for every Mana point spent.

Black: You may summon any creature that could be called through a summon undead I-V spell, as well as any Undead creature (subject to DM approval) with a CR equal to half your character level. Each Mana point spent grants you up to 4 CR worth of Undead.

Blue: Blue does not summon, it dominates. Instead of summoning a creature, you may attempt to dominate a creature within your line of sight that has HD equal to or less than yours. It makes a Will save at DC 22 plus the ability score you use to calculate your Mana pool. Creatures immune to mind-affecting abilities gain a +5 bonus to this save. If it fails, the target is dominated. Once dominated, the creature unquestioningly follows your orders for 1 round per character level. This costs a number of Mana points equal to 1/3 the target's HD, rounding down. If the target has 3 or less HD, it does not require any Mana to dominate.

Red: You may summon any Chaotic creature that could be summoned by a summon monster I-IX spell. These creatures only last for one round. You gain 15 HD worth of creatures for every Mana point spent.

Green: You may summon any Animal that could be summoned by a summon nature's ally I-III spell, but you apply the Paragon template to any creature you summon. For every 3 Mana points spent, you gain 2 HD worth of creature.

Play the Legend (Su)
You may summon a creature iconic to the color you represent, which lasts for 1 round per character level, requires a full-round action to summon, and may be summoned once per day. The DM determines the statistics of the summon, when necessary. This costs 14 Mana points.

White: You summon a Solar.

Black: You summon a Noble Djinn.

Blue: You summon a Human Warmage 23. His ability scores are 9/19/15/30/12/30. He has 25 ranks in Concentration, Knowledge (Arcana), and Spellcraft.

Red: You summon an Ancient Red Dragon.

Green: You summon a brilliantly colored bird, which perches on your shoulder. The bird has 1 HP and an AC of 50. While the bird is alive, you regain 1 Mana point each round.

The Final Card (Su)
You may lay down a working of such potency and scope as to enter into the legends of entire planes. All abilities cost 30 Mana+your Mana Pool ability modifier, require a full-round action to use, and may be used once a week.

White: A massive orb of unimaginably bright light appears above you, before disappearing in a flash of light that may be seen for thousands of miles.

Every being within a radius of up to 10 miles per character level of you with less than 11 HD dies instantly with no save. Creatures with 11 HD or greater may make a Will save at DC 30+Mana pool ability modifier to avoid being slain instantly.

Black: For three minutes, every creature that dies on the plane you are currently on is resurrected as a zombie under your control, ignoring the usual HD cap.

Blue: For three minutes, you are aware of every magical effect about to come into being on the plane you are currently on. You may instantly negate any magical effect that you wish as a free action.

Red: Roll a 1d6. On a 1, you are slain instantly. On a 2, a copper piece drops into your hand. On a 3, everything within a mile of you, including yourself, takes 100 fire damage. On a 4, you may instantly summon creatures as if you had paid 30 Mana. On a 5 or 6, time is instantly regressed 24 hours. You retain full knowledge of what happened during the "lost" day, but no one else remembers anything.

Green: For three minutes, you may substitute your HP for Mana points, i.e. you may summon 2 HD worth of creatures for every 3 HP spent.

Immortality: When you are done with your quests, you will be remembered in legend. But you will also live on; you are a planeswalker, after all. Perhaps you will leave to discover a plane that has never been touched by mortal foot. Perhaps you will remain active in the planes, as one of the most powerful figures in existence. Or perhaps you will spend the rest of your days simply walking the planes, content with the fact that you will never need depart the planes.

==========

So I was bored, and thought, "Hey, the Planeswalkers from Magic could be a neat class". Then I actually thought about it, and decided that an epic destiny would be more fitting.

This is intended to be quite a bit more powerful than a normal Epic Destiny. If you want to use it in a game without all of your players being Planeswalkers, I would suggest having the player in question take Commoner levels or somesuch thing.

But this turned out to be a lot harder than I thought it would be, mainly because actually deciding on the class' abilities and summons was an agony. Magic was introduced a couple of months after I was born. There's a lot to draw on.

But, anyway, first person to guess what all of the unidentified summons and abilities are supposed to represent get's a totally imaginary cookie.

Kobold-Bard
2011-10-13, 02:28 PM
:smallfrown:

I wanted to use it. Like, in a game that I'm applying for right now. But too powerful. So awesome, but too powerful :smallannoyed:

Cardea
2011-10-13, 02:41 PM

I wanted to use it. Like, in a game that I'm applying for right now. But too powerful. So awesome, but too powerful :smallannoyed:
Agreed.

This is beyond problematic, even if all the players used this Epic Destiny.

gkathellar
2011-10-13, 02:44 PM
Thematically, I'd say remove or loosen the alignment requirements for the different colors. Blure and Black in particular bugs me — MtG Blue is perfectly capable of being Chaotic, and MtG Black is not automatically evil or even ruthless, just self-interested.

EDIT: Just read it again. I like the Wrath of God reference in the Final Card.

Mr.Bookworm
2011-10-13, 02:57 PM

...I could tone it down some.

*deleted*

Hm.

EDIT: I have to go run off and do something, but I'll try to come up with a more workable solution when I get back.

Eldest
2011-10-13, 03:53 PM
White: A massive orb of unimaginably bright light appears above you, before disappearing in a flash of light that may be seen for thousands of miles.
Every being within a radius of up to 10 miles per character level of you with less than 11 HD dies instantly with no save. Creatures with 11 HD or greater may make a Will save at DC 30+Mana pool ability modifier to avoid being slain instantly.
Kills things...

Black: For three minutes, every creature that dies on the plane you are currently on is resurrected as a zombie under your control, ignoring the usual HD cap.
Zombies...

Red: Roll a 1d6. On a 1, you are slain instantly. On a 2, a copper piece drops into your hand. On a 3, everything within a mile of you, including yourself, takes 100 fire damage. On a 4, you may instantly summon creatures as if you had paid 30 Mana. On a 5 or 6, time is instantly regressed 24 hours. You retain full knowledge of what happened during the "lost" day, but no one else remembers anything.
Sucks...
First, you have a one in six chance of dieing. I would NEVER use this ability, just from that.
Second, you have a 2/3 chance of doing something worthwile.
Finally, red has nothing to do with time travel. If anything, that's blue.

BlackestOfMages
2011-10-13, 11:47 PM
Finally, red has nothing to do with time travel. If anything, that's blue.

not so. back in the timeshift series all of the things that let you really mess with time where red. though the red ability is a bit useless compared to the others. perhaps just make it reverse time, to be annoying (in combat, reverse your level in rounds. imidealty after someone dares outperform you :smallamused: or when you meet a very attracive ladyfreind)

blue's just ussually ahead of their time

Eldest
2011-10-14, 07:16 AM
As long are there is no chance for a negative effect directly against you... maybe keep the d6 and have all of the possible outcomes be good? Like you get a diamond worth x, jump back in time x rounds, etc.
Also, would the planeswalker be targeted by the white final card abillity if he uses it?
(in case you couldn't notice, I'd be red, so that's why I'm focusing on that one)