PDA

View Full Version : Three Chestbusters in Ponyville.

Fallen Angel
2011-10-13, 07:28 PM
What it says on the tin. How bad is this scenario, how badly are the pony's screwed, and how well does the Aliens do?

Eakin
2011-10-13, 11:14 PM
What it says on the tin. How bad is this scenario, how badly are the ponies screwed, and how well do the Aliens do?

Don't chest bursters die after infecting one entity? Is there a queen or a cluster of eggs somewhere? Because if it's just all of Equestria versus three alien warriors, especially when they'll be aware something's amiss during the incubation, the ponies wipe the floor with the aliens. And that even assumes that all three aliens manage to hatch within a narrow window and they don't just have to fight one then banish the other two pony hosts to the moon before they burst.

Granted, the aliens are going to take a couple dozen ponies with them but they're not going to fare well against a forewarned squad of unicorns or, Celestia help them, an alicorn.

Tebryn
2011-10-13, 11:17 PM
No, you're thinking of Face Huggers. The ponies have magic. The ponies win.

Eakin
2011-10-13, 11:22 PM
No, you're thinking of Face Huggers. The ponies have magic. The ponies win.

OK, no warning or prep time for the ponies. Ponyville is in trouble but Equestria survives. The Aliens win the first round or two, but they're going down under superior numbers unless they can explosively multiply. Remember, the ponies are cute, but most of them are reasonably formidable opponents with magic and friendship-based superweapons.

"Friendship Cannon the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure"

Soras Teva Gee
2011-10-13, 11:59 PM
Rainbow Dash defeated Starscream in single combat, Fluttershy can beat petrification and dragons in a staring contest, Twilight Sparkle can lift a Kaiju and move it from Ponyville to the Everfree Forest, and Pinkie does whatever it is Pinkie Pie does. Though nasty a mere three Xenomorphs can be resolved in short order.

(Oh yeah and the Elements of Harmony can beat Q)

[/thread]

Mystic Muse
2011-10-14, 12:17 AM
What it says on the tin. Okay.

How bad is this scenario Bad at the start.
how badly are the pony's screwed A few of them? Very. As a whole? not at all. Especially when you have beings like Celestia or Discord against you.
and how well does the Aliens do?

Without any prior warning, they'll take out a few ponies. Once ponies actually know what's going on, the aliens are doomed.

Grif
2011-10-14, 12:18 AM
Luna will totally drop the moon on the xenomorphs just to be safe.

YES! THIS ALICORN CAN BE BADASS AS WELL.

Eakin
2011-10-14, 12:24 AM
Rainbow Dash defeated Starscream in single combat, Fluttershy can beat petrification and dragons in a staring contest, Twilight Sparkle can lift a Kaiju and move it from Ponyville to the Everfree Forest, and Pinkie does whatever it is Pinkie Pie does. Though nasty a mere three Xenomorphs can be resolved in short order.

(Oh yeah and the Elements of Harmony can beat Q)

[/thread]

I don't actually know how effective the EoH superbeam would be in this situation. It seems to rely on the target laughing at how unlikely it is to work on them and standing still while the Mane 6 charge it up / speechify about friendship. And if the Xeno knocks out one of them quickly they won't have all 6 elements on hands.

Ponies still win based on other abilities though.

EDIT: Angel! Come on over to the pony thread and start posting there so we can give you the traditional initial brainwashing pony thread welcome!

BlasTech
2011-10-14, 12:39 AM
Reposed from ponythread:

It's no contest. Fluttershy tames them, and Rarity puts them into dresses. They all live happily ever after.

Worked on the zerglings (http://www.deviantart.com/download/243866798/ponycraft2___zerg__part_1_by_alfa995-d416wtq.jpg). :smallbiggrin:

Killer Angel
2011-10-14, 07:06 AM
Reposed from ponythread:

It's no contest. Fluttershy tames them, and Rarity puts them into dresses. They all live happily ever after.

Worked on the zerglings (http://www.deviantart.com/download/243866798/ponycraft2___zerg__part_1_by_alfa995-d416wtq.jpg). :smallbiggrin:

Nah.
Zerg were already cute (http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/27). :smallbiggrin:

No brains
2011-10-14, 05:35 PM
Some things we need to consider are whether or not the ability to tap the magic of friendship is a physiological ability of the ponies. If this is so, the aliens have the ability to use the ponies powers against them. This will make the battle a long one. If this is not so, then the ponies are at a distinct advantage. Even with their wide array of talents for hunting creatures into extinction, the inability to fight their prey on a magic field leaves the aliens vulnerable to a decisive rout.

Another important point to consider is which ponies died to birth the chestbursters. Not only would the trauma of such a violent death wound the mental capacity to use friend magic, can the ponies bring themselves to destroy a creature that could possibly be the last living remnant of their friend? Some Aliens stories make the new alien a reincarnation of the previous host, albeit one tortured with commands from the hive to kill for propagation.

The last and strangest point to consider is if the ties of loyalty to the hive are on the level of power as friendship. While friends can give their lives for one another, the hive truly lives as one. Within their group, the entirety of alien life is altruism for the species, suicidally facing danger so they as a whole can survive. Even more compelling is their desire to give the unity of the hive to all; everyone is the Aliens' best friend, just not yet. Without any personalities to be flawed by pride, greed, or other vices, the magic of genetic unity of the universe may yet trump the simple ideas of friendship...

Comrade
2011-10-14, 05:49 PM
This entire thread saddens me beyond all belief.

No brains
2011-10-14, 05:57 PM

Is it the talking of ponies trouncing aliens or the talk of aliens brutalizing ponies?

Or is it that anyone can care about any of this?:smallbiggrin:

I'm just here for a logical argument that is silly as possible. If my debate wouldn't have any impact win or lose, it's the perfect practice! :smallamused:

Eakin
2011-10-14, 06:41 PM

Oh, don't be such a killjoy. I think we all have tongues firmly planted in cheek.

I'd say a xeno from a unicorn could probably wield magic on a primitive level, but in a mage vs. mage type duel the unicorn that's been practicing and refining magic technique for its entire life is going to have the upper hand.

I don't think that a pony is going to fall into the trap of believing that the alien is "the last remnant of one of their friends," although I'm sure everypony involved ends up with serious PTSD.

And the only time friendship has been specifically weaponized in the show is via the EoH. Unless the three xenos manage to get attuned to two apiece the "hive mind = friendship+" thing doesn't give them any edge

Ravens_cry
2011-10-14, 07:11 PM
This happens (http://eruna.deviantart.com/art/My-Little-Xenomorph-Dark-Star-66290104), which results in cute/anticute annihilation, releasing gamma rays which turn all the ponies into this (http://imageshack.us/f/600/131250363802fluttershyf.jpg/).
Because that is what happens when things are exposed to gamma rays, right?

No brains
2011-10-14, 07:32 PM
One or even more of these chestbursters may be a potential queen. If the aliens can strike their initial three ponies in isolation from the herd, they could have time to lay eggs and weal their forces. If they can sustain the mystery of disappearing ponies and remain hidden, a sizable force could be built. Further, since MLP is a television show, they're susceptible to the perils of dramatic pacing.:smallsmile:

As for the idea of aliens being 'reincarnated' ponies, I would find it hard for Fluttershy to believe anything but that. Imagine her confronting a screaming 'ponien' insisting that it's frightened and disgusted with what it has become, lulling her into the uncanny valley trap.

Speaking of that particular character, she can befriend animals, but aliens might not be animals. There is strong implications that they are not a natural creature from any biome and at least part inorganic...

Metahuman1
2011-10-14, 08:13 PM
She can also glare at unnatural creatures and make them tuck there tails between there legs and run/fly away full speed crying like Baby's.

Bare that in mind.

And unless the alien's nailed either one or more of the main six or Celestia or Luna at the get go, then either the main six or Celestia or Luna will wipe the floor with them. Period.

And if they DID drop one of the main six, both sides are screwed. Why? The Elements aren't gonna be holding there spells properly anymore, which might bring NightMareMoon back, and will certainly bring Discord Back. And Discord will Own the predictable aliens like it was nothing if NightMareMoon doesn't beat him to the punch.

Pokonic
2011-10-14, 09:13 PM
Is it that hard to find a solution? Here is a hint: there is a big, danger filled forest right next to town. Teliport them into, say, a hydra nest or that Ursas cave. Better yet, there is at least one Cockatraice in there. Make use of it.:smallbiggrin:

No brains
2011-10-14, 09:32 PM
Is it that hard to find a solution? Here is a hint: there is a big, danger filled forest right next to town. Teliport them into, say, a hydra nest or that Ursas cave. Better yet, there is at least one Cockatraice in there. Make use of it.:smallbiggrin:

Or they could end up surviving and infecting all those creatures, turning "Crap!" into "CCCCCCCRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPP!!!!"

Pokonic
2011-10-14, 09:43 PM
Or they could end up surviving and infecting all those creatures, turning "Crap!" into "CCCCCCCRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPP!!!!"

I fail to see how a facehugger could get a hold of a ursas mouth. Or any of the hydras, for that matter.

No brains
2011-10-14, 10:39 PM
I fail to see how a facehugger could get a hold of a ursas mouth. Or any of the hydras, for that matter.

When we get to the point where facehuggers get involved there is also a queen. Queens aren't above sacking something and making it an easier host for her huggers. Also, facehuggers do make efforts to ambush prey when they are vulnerable, hiding in small spots for a target to look away and fall asleep, even unaided by the gasses they feed hosts to reduce their struggles. Also note that facehuggers were capable of infecting the space jockey before the first film.

Queens are also remarkably tough hombres. Note that for all the abuse they take in Aliens and even Alien Vs Predator, you never see them actually die. Even when the several ton power loader crushes the queen at the end of a 20 foot drop, her only problem is that she can't shove it off her. They only get removed from the situation. Even going into the freezing depths of the South Ocean and even space, they continue to struggle.

Mystic Muse
2011-10-15, 12:32 AM
I think I'm just going to leave before I say something stupid, or this topic depresses me further.

Have fun debating this.

No brains
2011-10-15, 07:58 AM
I think I'm just going to leave before I say something stupid, or this topic depresses me further.

Have fun debating this.

:smalltongue::smallbiggrin:That's one pony down! :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Aotrs Commander
2011-10-15, 12:00 PM
After today's episode, and running some back calcs, I think the answer is conclusively that ponies win, because they are literally superhuman strength and endurance.

I just worked out (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12032520&postcount=767) that Rarity and Twilight, two of the weaker ponies, are capable of carting around about four tonnes.

And (today's episode spoiler)
Rainbow Dash demonstrated she can karate-kick through a wooden structrual beam the width of her leg and then intentionally Sonic Rainboom slam into the ground at speeds of multiple Mach and not only survive - not even be out of breath.

And Fluttershy can wrestle a fragging bear.

This is on top of Rarity being able to survive completely unharmed the G-forces of RD's Sonic Rainboom 90º turn (conservatively estimated at well over a thousand g), Applejack being able to kick so hard it knocks things out of trees, Twilight being only cosmetically hurt by being hit by pianos and a safe...

The list goes on. The observable strength of ponies is absolutely mind-boggling.

Pokonic
2011-10-15, 12:34 PM
This is on top of Rarity being able to survive completely unharmed the G-forces of RD's Sonic Rainboom 90º turn (conservatively estimated at well over a thousand g), Applejack being able to kick so hard it knocks things out of trees, Twilight being only cosmetically hurt by being hit by pianos and a safe...

The list goes on. The observable strength of ponies is absolutely mind-boggling.

Yeah, this.

It seems that ponies are not made of flesh and blood as we know of it. Rather, a combination of a marshmellowy outer layer and a increadibly strong interior that most resembles a complex string of cords that, when acted on, causes the entire system to act together. This, along with there increadibly dense "bones" that can withstand almost any known amount of pressure, combined with there very maliable protective outer layer, lets even the weakest pony to preform short-term bursts of speed or power that goes far beyond the limits of any normal creature, along with the ability to survive G-forces that would reduce other to small piles of goo. One could only guess how much a Alicorn could withstand.

Oh boo hoo. If you want to see a sad and depressing thread, go to the Ponyfort thread and see how the population was nearly wiped out by other ponies. Or how the main plan for the fort was to have underground sweatshops keeping the fat and happy surface dwellers alive.You will be begging for acid-blooded abominations raizing ponyville in 10-seconds flat.:smallamused:

H Birchgrove
2011-10-15, 04:11 PM
Do ponies have the powers of Superman?
He was once infested with a chestbuster in a cross-over, but as soon as he got sunlight, his body destroyed the alien from the inside of Supes' body.

Aotrs Commander
2011-10-15, 04:19 PM
Do ponies have the powers of Superman?
He was once infested with a chestbuster in a cross-over, but as soon as he got sunlight, his body destroyed the alien from the inside of Supes' body.

I dunno, I'm beginning to wonder...!

Metahuman1
2011-10-15, 07:35 PM
Lately it seems like they might have at least some of his powers. Thought near as we can tell only Unicorns would be able to pull moves that match his Heat Vision, X-ray Vision, and Arctic breath.

Also Cudo's for the Cockatrace, Ursa and Hydra idea. I'd also like to mention that we KNOW there are Firebreathing Dragons in this world, I could imagine Celestia throwing a pile of gold at one to get her some char-broiled Alien. I could also See Fluttershy going into the forest and dragging the Cockatrace out of there and telling it. "Your gonna turn the creepy monsters and only the creepy monsters too stone, or the stare down you took last time is gonna seem like a pleasant memory compared to the one I'm going to give you.

Do you understand me?"

Ravens_cry
2011-10-15, 09:20 PM
They got Toon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon_physics)powers is what. There was even an episode where Pinkie Pie was sprinkboking like Pepé Le Pew (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pep%C3%A9_Le_Pew) after Rainbow Dash.

Pokonic
2011-10-15, 10:18 PM
Also Cudo's for the Cockatrace, Ursa and Hydra idea. I'd also like to mention that we KNOW there are Firebreathing Dragons in this world, I could imagine Celestia throwing a pile of gold at one to get her some char-broiled Alien. I could also See Fluttershy going into the forest and dragging the Cockatrace out of there and telling it. "Your gonna turn the creepy monsters and only the creepy monsters too stone, or the stare down you took last time is gonna seem like a pleasant memory compared to the one I'm going to give you.

Better yet, I am sure Celestia has some control over spikes magical breath.

Rather than having stuff sent to her, it could sent to the sun. By by, unnatural horrors!

irenicObserver
2011-10-16, 11:37 AM
Okay, before reading the whole thread: As soon as Pony deaths become apparent, Twilight attempts to stop reproduction by making them not hug faces anymore. This causes them to go after plushes only and now we have plush Xenomorphs running around spewing acid fluff when damaged. OR Fluttershy gives them the stare and tames them all. OR we end up with a new season of My Little Xenomorph: Hivemind is Magic.

i would like to see fanart of our mane cast as xenomorphs now. Also, Fiduspawn.

H Birchgrove
2011-10-16, 01:10 PM
Thanks Metahuman1, Ravens_cry and Pokonic. :smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2011-10-16, 02:07 PM
Thanks Metahuman1, Ravens_cry and Pokonic. :smallsmile:
For what exactly?:smallconfused:

H Birchgrove
2011-10-16, 02:42 PM
For what exactly?:smallconfused:
This:

They got Toon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon_physics)powers is what. There was even an episode where Pinkie Pie was sprinkboking like Pepé Le Pew (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pep%C3%A9_Le_Pew) after Rainbow Dash.

:smallcool:

Ravens_cry
2011-10-16, 03:49 PM
Ah, well, I may not know much about ponies, but I do know about classic, Golden Age cartoons.

No brains
2011-10-16, 08:41 PM
Staring won't work on aliens. They don't have eyes.

Further, if Rarity is one of the weaker ponies and her physiology allows her to do super stuff, that just means the three ponaliens will be able to do it even better. In Aliens one drone held open a door that three marines were trying to close with better leverage. Note that even then it was till managing to overpower all of them and keep the door opening.

Also don't forget that there's the chance that even cockatraliens could be a major problem is eggs could be produced.

irenicObserver
2011-10-17, 09:44 AM

Fluttershy attempts to stare the aliens down and she is killed. *nod*

Now, do the Predators ever show up?

No brains
2011-10-17, 11:28 AM
Fluttershy attempts to stare the aliens down and she is killed. *nod*

Now, do the Predators ever show up?

The original scenario only specifies chestbursters in ponyville. Unless predators are endemic to Equestria and just sit around cloaked going 'Aww, ponies!' in predator language, they don't get involved.:smallbiggrin:

Metahuman1
2011-10-18, 07:03 PM

Further, if Rarity is one of the weaker ponies and her physiology allows her to do super stuff, that just means the three ponaliens will be able to do it even better. In Aliens one drone held open a door that three marines were trying to close with better leverage. Note that even then it was till managing to overpower all of them and keep the door opening.

Also don't forget that there's the chance that even cockatraliens could be a major problem is eggs could be produced.

In that same move an Alien with reasonable leverage and a significant effort is unable to push the single boot of a single 5'7-8 female Marine off it and she puts several rounds form her side arm into it's skull point blank.

There for I submit that a Pony like Rainbowdash/Applejack and now Fluttershy could still go toe to toe with one of these things.

Also, remember, Twilight is a Telekinetic. So are most Unicorns and the princesses.

Hard to fight something that can throw you around like a soft ball by thinking about it!

And for that matter, barring taking her out with a conviniant sucker shot before she can mount a defense or counter, what stops twilight, the most talented magic user a being that's well over 1,000 years old has ever seen, form just turning the aliens into something harmless if creepy looking by herself?

Soras Teva Gee
2011-10-18, 07:23 PM

Umm except they do have eyes or the same effect, just not particularly visible ones.

No brains
2011-10-18, 07:41 PM
In that same move an Alien with reasonable leverage and a significant effort is unable to push the single boot of a single 5'7-8 female Marine off it and she puts several rounds form her side arm into it's skull point blank.

There for I submit that a Pony like Rainbowdash/Applejack and now Fluttershy could still go toe to toe with one of these things.

Also, remember, Twilight is a Telekinetic. So are most Unicorns and the princesses.

Hard to fight something that can throw you around like a soft ball by thinking about it!

And for that matter, barring taking her out with a conviniant sucker shot before she can mount a defense or counter, what stops twilight, the most talented magic user a being that's well over 1,000 years old has ever seen, form just turning the aliens into something harmless if creepy looking by herself?

Vasquez was pushing with her entire body onto the alien's throat. A creature's throat is not a good spot for leverage. I also move that this argument be stricken as irrelevant because you have forgotten Vasquez is hardcore as a neutron star.:smalltongue:

Stealth and sucker shots are the alien's primary export and account for 80% of their GDP (Gross Death Pile). Plus, while it is debatable, aliens seem to have some kind of paralyzing presence that can keep people from fleeing when it appears close enough to them.

Umm except they do have eyes or the same effect, just not particularly visible ones.

No, they do not have eyes or even ones that are hard to find. Aliens navigate through a combination of non-visual means including pheromone trails, electric senses similar to a shark's, and possibly echolocation.

No evidence exists that aliens locate creatures with light and much evidence exists to the contrary. Aliens operate in extremely dark environments, do not cringe from bright lights, and do not seem to possess any ability to discern color.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-10-18, 07:58 PM
No, they do not have eyes or even ones that are hard to find. Aliens navigate through a combination of non-visual means including pheromone trails, electric senses similar to a shark's, and possibly echolocation.

No evidence exists that aliens locate creatures with light and much evidence exists to the contrary. Aliens operate in extremely dark environments, do not cringe from bright lights, and do not seem to possess any ability to discern color.

Which is why at one point their sight was represented on screen in the third movie, in the novelization of the original film the Xenomorph was fascinated by a spinning green light for several minutes, and in one of the games a Marine claims they have vision?

Obviously they don't have eyes like we do because its scarier that way, but that's not the same as saying they are blind. Likewise operating in the dark ergo dark is normal for a predatortory species, cat and canine species for example see much better in the night then we do... in addition to their normal senses. The sometimes transparent top part of the carapace seems the simple location for the "eye" equivalent organs.

Metahuman1
2011-10-18, 08:36 PM
Which still means that a human that could not have weighed more then 200 lbs at the very, very most, (She was built. And tall for a woman.), was able to force it down in a melee. And It looked a lot more like the head then the throat. And having your whole body under something with a solid surface to push off of makes for respectable leverage. Trust me, I've done Wrestling and martial arts. I know this from having been there, and putting others there only to have it backfire.

And yes, she was a bad-ass. If I'd been directing the movie, she'd have survived and probably ripped the second inner mouth out of the alien queen or something before the movie ended. That is however not relevant to present argument/debate/discussion or what ever it's presently called.

Traab
2011-10-18, 11:25 PM
Wasnt the alien also heavily wounded at the time? She basically delivered a coup de grace. My vote goes with "It Depends" It depends almost entirely out of WHOSE chest these things burst from to start. Fluttershy is out in the woods with a couple friends when suddenly things go black. They wake up, seeing an odd carapace next to them. They head back home, retire for the night. Then some time around midnight, all the ponies are woken up by HORRIFIC screams. They enter the homes of the three ponies only to see a gruesome sight. By this time the bursters are hidden away scavenging for food to help them grow. What happens next depends entirely on random chance.

Coidzor
2011-10-22, 07:03 PM
The last and strangest point to consider is if the ties of loyalty to the hive are on the level of power as friendship. While friends can give their lives for one another, the hive truly lives as one. Within their group, the entirety of alien life is altruism for the species, suicidally facing danger so they as a whole can survive. Even more compelling is their desire to give the unity of the hive to all; everyone is the Aliens' best friend, just not yet. Without any personalities to be flawed by pride, greed, or other vices, the magic of genetic unity of the universe may yet trump the simple ideas of friendship...

No, no, no. Just because we're ascribing higher morality to magical ponies doesn't mean you can do it with mindless killing machines.

No brains
2011-10-26, 09:44 PM
I came into this thread knowing the deck was stacked by Penn and Teller for the Ponies. They have magic, evidenced higher reasoning, and the 'hero advantage'. Realistically, the aliens have a darn slim chance.

What I would like to discuss at this point are scenarios where Alien victory is pretty likely. For example: what if those three chestbursters came from the most powerful characters from MLP? Would that make any difference? Does the likelihood of Alien victory increase if they inherited magic after infection?

I would like some kind of leg up that makes alien victory pop above maybe 50% chance. I want a stand up fight, not a bug hunt!

Eakin
2011-10-26, 10:55 PM
I came into this thread knowing the deck was stacked by Penn and Teller for the Ponies. They have magic, evidenced higher reasoning, and the 'hero advantage'. Realistically, the aliens have a darn slim chance.

What I would like to discuss at this point are scenarios where Alien victory is pretty likely. For example: what if those three chestbursters came from the most powerful characters from MLP? Would that make any difference? Does the likelihood of Alien victory increase if they inherited magic after infection?

I would like some kind of leg up that makes alien victory pop above maybe 50% chance. I want a stand up fight, not a bug hunt!

Well, take Luna and Celestia out of the fight and there's no super ponies to fall back on. Also if there's an alien Queen in the picture or just an arbitrarily large cache of eggs so the the aliens can keep reproducing, then the advantage shifts DRAMATICALLY in their direction.

Aliens are nasty, no doubt. But throw ANY three individual monsters into Equestria with no reinforcements and they're basically goners

GloatingSwine
2011-10-29, 08:57 PM
Well, take Luna and Celestia out of the fight and there's no super ponies to fall back on.

Yeah, just the ones that can hit mach 5 in unpowered flight and appear to have full control over the local biosphere...

Surrealistik
2011-10-31, 12:15 PM
Aliens are nasty, no doubt. But throw ANY three individual monsters into Equestria with no reinforcements and they're basically goners

Asmodeus, Yog-Soggoth, Doomsday.

Eakin
2011-10-31, 12:28 PM
Asmodeus, Yog-Soggoth, Doomsday.

I think those three go well beyond "movie monster" in power level. But yeah, any one of those three could screw Equestria pretty bad unless there are alicorn superpowers we don't know about. Several orders of magnitude beyond what we've seen in show.

Yeah, just the ones that can hit mach 5 in unpowered flight and appear to have full control over the local biosphere...

Right, those are the NOT super ones. Which is why the aliens are doomed. But Celestia and Luna are vastly more powerful than that, hence removing them from the equation to give any alien invaders any kind of fighting chance.