PDA

View Full Version : Cyberpunk/ Deiselpunk/ Steampunk system

Hironomus
2011-10-14, 02:05 PM
Hi Playground

Recently some members of my circle and I have expressed an interest in playing in a cyberpunk, a deiselpunk or a steampunk setting. The problem is we really don't know which system is the best for this or even if there is a system appropriate for our needs.

Ideally the system would be D20 but this is not a must. It would also be terrific if it had rules and guidelines appropriate for dealing with all three of the aforementioned genres so that we could try all three or even mix them.

Our knowledge of the various systems is not high, so I now ask you, the playgrounders; is there a system out there which handily fits all of our criteria? If not, is there something remotely close?

What should we do?

NikitaDarkstar
2011-10-14, 02:16 PM
D20 Modern/Future could most likely do cyberpunk fairly well. And it does have rules/guidelines for different timelines/technology levels and the weapons locker book (I think it is..) has a lot of weapons and equipment from various ages. There's also the Urban Arcana book if you want to mix in magic.

It might or might not be what you're looking for, but no harm in taking a peek. (You might need to readjust some prices for modern day things though, the books are about 10 years old and especially for modern day conviniences it shows on the price.)

Hironomus
2011-10-14, 02:36 PM
Thankyou very much!

I certainly will do that.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-14, 02:56 PM
D20 Future is also in the SRD (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd), so if you want to make your cuberpunk a little more advanced, it is one way to go.
I am also interested in a dieselpunk campaign, specifically one that involves areal battles. Does anyone know of any d20stats for military aircraft for the Interwar Period and a good dogfighting system?

Mr.Bookworm
2011-10-14, 02:57 PM
Thankyou very much!

I certainly will do that.

Note that the core rules (and some other stuff) are OGL and have an SRD, if you didn't already know that. (http://www.12tomidnight.com/d20modernsrd/Home.php)

But, yeah, d20 Modern probably works well enough if you need to use a d20 system for it.

hangedman1984
2011-10-15, 11:03 AM
d20Past also has a lot of stuff that would easily fit into a steampunk game

TheGameViking
2011-10-15, 11:56 AM
The most obvious choice for Cyberpunk is well... going to be the game Cyberpunk, this game however is a long lost relic of the ages, somewhat overshadowed by well... Shadowrun. Shadowrun is probably an overly complicated system for what you are looking for, but boy does it cover everything on playing a Cyberpunk game. For a Steam/Deisel punk game I would suggest the interesting but unsung game Aetherscope, Follower by a universal rules system like D20 future as has already been suggested or Rifts or even Savage Worlds which has all of what you are looking for and I think even has a book detailing those dogfights that Ravens_Cry was looking for.

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-15, 12:50 PM
I like Savage Worlds (like GURPS it's an all-purpose ruleset). There is a specialized Savage Worlds Steampunk ruleset called "Runepunk", which is Steampunk with magic.