PDA

View Full Version : Great Scenes in fiction:

Tavar
2011-10-16, 08:20 PM
So, I have a trivia contest to run, and part of that is traditionally acting out certain scenes. I'm looking for a moderately difficult one, for a Science Fiction Fantasy club; I already have some other segments but I was wondering if the forum had suggestions?

Dumbledore lives
2011-10-16, 08:26 PM
So you want like classic, sci-fi scenes, well my first and incredibly obvious suggestion is the I am your Father from Empire, but everyone will be expecting that. Maybe something like the chestburster scene from Alien?

One final idea is to go for a slightly lesser known sci-fi like Brazil, there could be some decent scenes from that, like maybe the ending descent into insanity.

Knaight
2011-10-16, 08:27 PM
How far from fantasy can you delve? Because there are some great scenes from historical fiction that should do the trick, if they are acceptable.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-16, 08:28 PM
Is it with dialogue, or Charades-style?

The "damn dirty apes" scene from the original Planet of the Apes might be too obvious.

comicshorse
2011-10-16, 08:31 PM
Monolgues or for more than one speaker.

Dr Who has some great monologues, I have a particular fondness for the 'Hello Stonehenge' speech in 'The Pandorica Opens'

Tavar
2011-10-16, 08:32 PM
Either. In the past, we've done stuff like the famous "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die" and the "You. Shall. Not. PASS!" scene before, with dialogue. I would prefer for it to not be completely obvious, though.

With regards to Brazil, I'd do that but we just watched it a week ago. Still fresh in people's mind.

I can delve pretty far, and the worst that will happen is that I decide that it's too obscure for my group. Also, keep in mind that it can be any type of media: currently I have a Shakespeare, TTGL, and an in club reference.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-16, 08:37 PM
The Eragon movie?:smallbiggrin:

If your class has any taste, they won't have watched it, so it'll count as obscure.:smallwink:

Weezer
2011-10-16, 08:41 PM
I don't know if this will be too obscure for your group, but the Lion in Winter has so many amazing scenes. One of my favorites is this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbzcFbhPV-o), Hepburn is amazing. There is also this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf9q3npuKl4)one, if you're more a Peter O'Toole fan.

Oh, and don't forget Princess Bride. Miracle Max, Man in Black vs Visini etc, it has some great scenes.

comicshorse
2011-10-16, 08:41 PM
The Eragon movie?:smallbiggrin:

If your class has any taste, they won't have watched it, so it'll count as obscure.:smallwink:

I think he said GREAT scenes in fiction not GRATING scenes :smallsmile:

Tavar
2011-10-16, 08:46 PM
We've watched Troll 2 and Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter. Quality has nothing to do with it.

Still, I'd prefer specific scenes, and not ones from Princess Bride. It's a great movie, but too well known for the Trivia contests purposes.

Seraph
2011-10-16, 09:18 PM
the "the truth is . . ." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfr9uBXMKTM) scene from End of Evangelion.

Tavar
2011-10-16, 09:44 PM
Hm...already have a anime one.

Though, now I'm trying to think of a difficult question regarding western animation, from 1990 to 2004.

Kindablue
2011-10-16, 09:55 PM
"How do cell phones work?" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrtwYt5LLRs#t=3m44s)

H Birchgrove
2011-10-17, 08:59 AM
Hmm... Might be too hard to do the little counsellor ship which is hunted by the big star cruiser at the beginning of A New Hope...

Dun dun dun dun dun dun... (http://youtu.be/MS4_Z84-rRE)

"What do you mean, Flash Gordon approach?"

"Gordon's ALIVE!!!"

"Flash, I love you, but we've only got 14 hours to save the Earth!"

Etc. :smalltongue:

PS. Drat, I misread the thread title as "great scenes in SCIENCE fiction". Ho hum.

HURM. :smallamused:

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?"

Tavar
2011-10-17, 09:13 AM
Actually, I finally decided on Little Foot's Mother's death scene.

I do have one question, and one category, remaining. I still need a high point question for animated films(specifically western ones from the 90's and early 2000's).

The final category is a rapid fire one, and I need to settle on a theme for it.

PS: science fiction is fiction. And, in the first post, I describe how it's for a science fiction fantasy club.

Anderlith
2011-10-17, 01:53 PM
Shooting the Swordsmen, Indiana Jones Style

Tirian
2011-10-17, 02:55 PM
I still need a high point question for animated films(specifically western ones from the 90's and early 2000's).

For a movie that's more esoteric than it should be, I'll go with Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. My favorite scene is where college-age Bruce meets Andrea Beaumont (http://youtu.be/-kjuJ_9SkTQ) (about 8:30 in).

thegurullamen
2011-10-17, 06:56 PM
I posit the Doctor's question to Davros in the old series. The one that involves a hypothetical bottle of some omnicidal agent that Davros alone can either open or destroy. Good scene.

Or, if you'd like some cheese, the President's speech in Independence Day.

Any Whedon-written line from Titan A.E. You'll know the ones when you see them. Entertaining and obscure enough to be difficult trivia fodder.

Doc Brown and Marty arguing over fate and love in Back to the Future, Part III. "I've got to do what I feel is right." vs. "She doesn't belong with us/That tombstone could still be in your future."

Go watch 'Duet' from Star Trek: DS9 and pay close attention to the ending. Good stuff, even if you don't like ST, or DS9. I'm sure you could find something there.

The Glyphstone
2011-10-17, 06:58 PM
"Any fruits or vegetables to declare?"
"Yeah, two heads of cabbage."

Men In Black II.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-17, 07:55 PM
So, I have a trivia contest to run, and part of that is traditionally acting out certain scenes. I'm looking for a moderately difficult one, for a Science Fiction Fantasy club; I already have some other segments but I was wondering if the forum had suggestions?

Okay, could you maybe have specified SCIENCE fiction in the title, because just saying Great Scenes in fiction, implies all of fiction, and fiction is friggin' HUGE! and may discourage some.

As for great sci-fi scenes, the climactic scene in the Empire Strikes back. You know, right after Luke loses a hand. Also, the big reveal at the end of Planet of the Apes.

Dumbledore lives
2011-10-17, 08:06 PM
Actually, I finally decided on Little Foot's Mother's death scene.

I do have one question, and one category, remaining. I still need a high point question for animated films(specifically western ones from the 90's and early 2000's).

The final category is a rapid fire one, and I need to settle on a theme for it.

PS: science fiction is fiction. And, in the first post, I describe how it's for a science fiction fantasy club.

For the best 90's animation, I like the Iron Giant. You say something like "You are who you choose to be? Who are you?" with the answer Superman.