PDA

View Full Version : The Supernal Destroyer (A True 3.5 Blaster PrC, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-17, 05:32 PM
The Supernal Destroyer

Because 3.5 blasting sucks. And it's not the sorcerer or the warmage's fault, it's the spells themselves.

Energy is everywhere in the world. There is heat in the air and chill in the night. There is electricity in clouds and acid in the earth. A supernal destroyer is simply someone who has studied and learned how to harness this energy and manipulate it without using magic.

Prerequisite:

In order to become a supernal destroyer, you must meet the following prerequisites:

Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 4 ranks
Character Level: 5

Hit Dice: d6

Class Skills: Craft, Knowledge (Arcana), Listen, Profession, and Spot

Skill Points: 2+Int per level

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Primal Assault

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Primal Assault

3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Primal Assault

4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Primal Assault

5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Sonic Scream

6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Life or Death

7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Life or Death

8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Blast of Force

9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Prismatic Attack

10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Elemental Mastery
[/table]

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: No additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

In order to use his abilities, the supernal destroyer chooses a mental ability score at 1st level. This ability score determines the save DCs for all his abilities. He may not change his mind later.

Primal Assault (Su): At 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th level, the supernal destroyer gains a supernatural attack option of his choice. He chooses acid, fire, cold, or electricity, and 60 ft cone, 120 ft line, or 20 ft burst. The 20 ft burst has a range of 400 feet, +25 feet per character level. He may not choose any element more than once, and may not choose any shape more than twice.

The attack deals 1d10 points of the selected damage per character level, and allows a saving throw of 10+1/2 character level+chosen ability modifier for half damage. After using one of these attacks, he must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again.

Sonic Scream (Su): The supernal destroyer may, as a full-round action, emit a loud, screeching burst. All creatures within 60 feet who can hear the supernal destroyer take 1d8 points of sonic damage per character level (max 20d8) and are deafened for one minute. A successful Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 character level+ability modifier) halves the damage and negates the deafness. The supernal destroyer must wait 1d4 rounds before performing this ability again.

Life or Death (Su): At 6th and 7th level, the supernal destroyer gains the ability to control a target's vitality with a touch. He may choose between Angel's Kiss and Touch of Death. He may not select the same one twice.

Angel's Kiss (Su): The supernal destroyer is not limited to just the destructive elements of the world. As a standard action, he may channel the positive energy around him and deliver it to another creature with a single touch. After making a touch attack that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, the creature touched heals 10 points of damage per character level (max 150), or if the creature is healed by negative energy and damaged by positive energy, it instead takes that much damage. (In this case, the creature is entitled to a Will save (DC 10+1/2 character level+ability modifier) for half damage, and if the creature succeeds this save, its hit points cannot be reduced below 1 with this ability) After using this ability, the supernal destroyer must wait 1d4 rounds before performing it again.

Touch of Death (Su): The supernal destroyer can channel purely negative energy and deliver it into one decaying touch. As a standard action, he may make a touch attack that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, and if he hits, he deals 10 points of negative energy per character level to the creature he touched (max 150). The creature is entitled to a Will save (DC 10+1/2 character level+chosen ability modifier) for half damage, and if it succeeds its saving throw, its hit points cannot be reduced below 1 with this ability. Alternatively, if the creature touched is healed by negative energy, it is instead healed this amount. After using this ability, the supernal destroyer must wait 1d4 rounds before performing it again.

Blast of Force (Su): The supernal destroyer relies on all energies of the world around him to destroy his opponents, and that includes the mysterious kinetic power known only as "force". As a standard action, the supernal destroyer may make a ranged touch attack at any creature within 100 feet, plus 10 feet per character level. If he hits, he deals 1d6 points of force damage per character level (max 20d6) and the creature must make a Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 character level+chosen ability modifier) or be knocked prone. Alternatively, if the attack hits, the supernal destroyer may forgo the chance to knock the creature prone and instead initiate a Bull Rush attempt. He adds his chosen ability modifier to his opposed check rather than his Strength roll, and Size bonuses/penalties for both creatures are ignored. The supernal destroyer may not move as a result of this action. After using this ability, the supernal destroyer must wait 1d4 rounds before performing it again.

Prismatic Attack (Su): The supernal destroyer can combine all 8 elements into one devastating attack. As a full-round action, the supernal destroyer may fire off 8 deadly beams of different colors. All creatures within a 60 ft cone directly in front of him are struck randomly by one or more beams. (Roll a d10 for each creature, reroll all 10s)

1- Affected as if by the fire attack with a -5 character level, but no save
2- Affected as if by the cold attack with a -5 character level, but no save
3- Affected as if by the electric attack with a -5 character level, but no save
4- Affected as if by the acid attack with a -5 character level, but no save
5- Affected as if by Sonic Scream, but dealing 1d10 sonic points of damage per level rather than 1d8
6- Affected as if by Angel's Kiss with no level cap
7- Affected as if by Touch of Death with no level cap
8- Affected as if by Blast of Force, but dealing 1d8 points of force damage per level rather than 1d6
9- Roll twice and combine, ignore 9s.

After using this ability, the supernal destroyer must wait one minute before using it again.

Elemental Mastery (Su) and (Ex): At 10th level, the supernal destroyer is a commander of destruction. He now waits 1d4-1 rounds after using one of his supernatural abilities other than Prismatic Attack, and all saving throws for supernatural attacks from this class receive a +4 perfection bonus to the DC. Additionally, he gains Acid, Cold, Sonic, Fire, and Electricity Resistance 10 as an extraordinary ability.

Alternate Version: The 5 Level Supernal Destroyer

Prerequisites: Same as above
HD: Same as above
Class Skills: Same as above
Skill Points: Same as above

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Primal Assault

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Primal Assault

3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Primal Assault

4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Primal Assault

5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Elemental Mastery
[/table]

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: No additional proficiencies.

Primal Assault (Su): Same as above.

Elemental Mastery (Ex) and (Su): Same as above, except the 5-level supernal destroyer does not receive sonic resistance 10.

Domriso
2011-10-17, 05:51 PM
This is... marvelous. So much fun to be had from such a simple class. In a lot of ways it seems really powerful, but it truly is a blaster class, through and through. I would play it. Especially since the prerequisites allow for such a wide range of entry.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-17, 05:54 PM
This is... marvelous. So much fun to be had from such a simple class. In a lot of ways it seems really powerful, but it truly is a blaster class, through and through. I would play it. Especially since the prerequisites allow for such a wide range of entry.

*bows* You are too kind, good sir! That is definitely what I was going for! No longer shall blasting deal with annoying damage dice caps, struggling to make metamagic adjustments fit just so they can deal level-appropriate damage, or Spell Resistance!

Zakaroth
2011-10-17, 06:10 PM
Awesome.. very simple and elegant. I have been working on a blaster class for some time now, but as you stated, it isn't easy. As one must take so many things into account. This class however, seems to circumvent these problems, while still obtaining its goal. Very nice.
Also sets then mind to wonder what kind of fun builds you could make with this PrC.

The only suggestion I can think of is; that you can choose at each of level 1 to 3 to gain the fire, ice or electric. Level 4-6 and 7-9 same story. Allowing you to personalize the order in which you gain the abilities somewhat. Just an idea.

Noctis Vigil
2011-10-17, 06:15 PM
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

That is all. :smallsmile:

Also, this can be taken by most any class by level 8. Did you mean for that to happen, or did I miss a prerequisite? :smallconfused:

Either way, I would play this. I would play this every game.

TravelLog
2011-10-17, 06:17 PM
So much blasting! I can't help but feel that Kamehameha would be an appropriate additional technique. In any case, I'm a big fan of the Prismatic Attack.

Have you thought about making this a 5 level PrC? If it were there are times I would certainly consider taking it for the funz as they say. But as a 10 level class I question it's fitting into a normal game.

Domriso
2011-10-17, 06:21 PM
You know, one thing that does come to mind is that, with certain rules I throw into the mix, this could be one scary Human-class. I tend to not cap cross-class skills, and Able Learner makes it so cross-class skills cost only a single skill point, so...

Well, Humans become basically always able to take this class by 6th level. Just a scary concept.

unosarta
2011-10-17, 06:22 PM
The healing ability gives you infinite out of combat healing...
Yeah, I would recommend that only be useable in combat.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-17, 06:31 PM
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

That is all. :smallsmile:

Also, this can be taken by most any class by level 8. Did you mean for that to happen, or did I miss a prerequisite? :smallconfused:

Either way, I would play this. I would play this every game.

It's any class at level 5. Caps for skills are level+3, or that amount divided by 2 for cross class, not level/2 for cross class. (So 5+3 is 8, divided by 2 is 4).

And yes, that was my intention. Any level 5 class can blast if they like.

Have you thought about making this a 5 level PrC? If it were there are times I would certainly consider taking it for the funz as they say. But as a 10 level class I question it's fitting into a normal game.

If I did that the DCs for all the attacks would be capped at 15+mod instead of 24+mod. That would be way too weak.

The only suggestion I can think of is; that you can choose at each of level 1 to 3 to gain the fire, ice or electric. Level 4-6 and 7-9 same story. Allowing you to personalize the order in which you gain the abilities somewhat. Just an idea.

I did it for the first four abilities. The others were selected in a very careful order based on how rare their energy was resistable, and I definitely can't mix the 9th level ability up at all. But thanks for the suggestion. Now the first four abilities come in any order you want!

The healing ability gives you infinite out of combat healing...
Yeah, I would recommend that only be useable in combat.

That would lead to player's being encouraged to do ridiculous things to get free healing. "Oh look a squirrel! Anyone need a heal?" "I do!" "Okay, let's start! We're going to attack that squirrel! Everyone holds their initiative until the healer gets his turn! After that, we all withdraw!"

unosarta
2011-10-17, 06:35 PM
That would lead to player's being encouraged to do ridiculous things to get free healing. "Oh look a squirrel! Anyone need a heal?" "I do!" "Okay, let's start! We're going to attack that squirrel! Everyone holds their initiative until the healer gets his turn! After that, we all withdraw!"

That isn't solving the problem.

You could say it only heals up to half of a character's total hit points? That way it would function like the aura that Dragon Shaman's get.

Also, this class doesn't really solve any of the problems of damaging spells. At all. If you wanted to get a step in the right direction, you could include a minor status condition as well as the effect of the spell, lasting for one round. That would make it much better than just plain old damage.

Something like the effects of the Slow spell for one round on the Breath of Cold ability, or something like that.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-17, 06:43 PM
That isn't solving the problem.

You could say it only heals up to half of a character's total hit points? That way it would function like the aura that Dragon Shaman's get.

Why? Free out-of-combat healing helps the entire group, without costing WBL a la wands or scrolls, and without using DMM Persist cheese. Sure, it's unheard of, but it's not particularly unfair. Monsters get to start the battle fresh, why can't the group's meatshield?

Also, this class doesn't really solve any of the problems of damaging spells. At all. If you wanted to get a step in the right direction, you could include a minor status condition as well as the effect of the spell, lasting for one round. That would make it much better than just plain old damage.

That's magic. It's not elemental damage. You can't just give magic to a rogue or a fighter for no reason. And while it would certainly be better, this is good enough. More damage, no SR, scaling saving throws. Blasting is damage. AOE Crowd control is much different than AOE blasting, and there's no need to mix them.

Noctis Vigil
2011-10-17, 06:51 PM
Oops. I should have caught my math mistake there. :smallredface:

Personally, I'd make my player go through a minor quest to get into it at the start, but I'd do that with several PrCs in the books too. Overall, love it. Will have to sic one on my players (who have SR as class abilities; should mess with them a little bit :smallamused:).

Terazul
2011-10-17, 06:54 PM
If I did that the DCs for all the attacks would be capped at 15+mod instead of 24+mod. That would be way too weak.

Why not just make the DCs 10+1/2 Character Level+Mod then? Same cap (though a few levels later), and based off Character Level like all damaging effects.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-17, 06:55 PM
Oops. I should have caught my math mistake there. :smallredface:

Personally, I'd make my player go through a minor quest to get into it at the start, but I'd do that with several PrCs in the books too. Overall, love it. Will have to sic one on my players (who have SR as class abilities; should mess with them a little bit :smallamused:).

Suggestion for that: Make them roleplay earning the ranks in Know (Arcana). Have them roleplay going to the library, describing in detail what they read, then have them go study an arcane caster as he uses fireball, lightning bolt and et cetera.

Edit:
Why not just make the DCs 10+1/2 Character Level+Mod then? Same cap, and based off Character Level like all damaging effects.

That makes the DC start out too high. At 6th level, that would be 13+mod instead of 11+mod. And I wouldn't be able to make it a 5-level class anyway, because there are 8 elements, one combination attack, and a passive capstone. If I cut it down to four elements and a capstone, that would be...well, it wouldn't be any fun for me, but I guess I'll update the OP and insert a 5 level class for those who want it.

Edit: Added a 5 level version of the class. It is unable to deal with creatures that have evasion like the 10th level class can, but it's short and sweet for those who only want to dip into blasting, rather than focus on it.

Noctis Vigil
2011-10-17, 07:09 PM
Suggestion for that: Make them roleplay earning the ranks in Know (Arcana). Have them roleplay going to the library, describing in detail what they read, then have them go study an arcane caster as he uses fireball, lightning bolt and et cetera.

You, sir, are a genius. :smallsmile:

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-17, 07:14 PM
You, sir, are a genius. :smallsmile:

Well, that was the point of requiring 4 ranks in Knowledge (Arcana) to begin with. It's implied that the character needs to study to get ranks in Knowlege, so his character has put forth effort to study and learn as much about arcane magic as possible.

For a class like this, it is absolutely both reasonable and natural for a DM to say "Hey, I'm going to need to see exactly what your character has been learning before I let you toss fireballs with no arcane spell failure". And besides all of that, the player might find out that he actually enjoys roleplaying earning ranks in a skill, rather than simply adding more points on a character sheet.

(At my tables, our DM always has us alert her when we plan to learn a new language, and then we spend the whole level before we spend the skill points in Speak Language learning and studying during downtime, and describing it, and then when we finally level up, we spend the skill points and our character has mastered the language in-game. To reward us, she even gives us rudimentary mastery over the language before we even spend the skill points on it, so like if I was studying Elven, but hadn't learned it yet, and someone was speaking in Elven, she would translate bits and pieces to me, the most simple words, and sometimes I would be able to tell without even having the language yet)

Glimbur
2011-10-17, 07:50 PM
Is Acidic Burst intended to damage the Supernal Destroyer? I suspect it is not, but you should clarify that.

I feel that this class is too powerful. I will attempt to support my stance with the power of math.

Postulate: In general, a character should have a 50/50 chance of victory against an encounter with a CR equal to their level.

Let's look at some CR 6 encounters.

Two Araneas (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/aranea.htm). They have improved initiative and 15 Dex, so let's assume they go first. One will throw a web (+5 to hit, 10' range increment). Let's make things really unfair and assume it hits. The other Aranea charges for +7 to hit normal AC, doing 1d6 + poison. Then the Supernal Destroyer gets a turn. Lines are for chumps, so he chose one of fire, acid, or cold as his first attack. This provokes an AoO, but... worth it. 6d10 damage, DC 14ish for half. Average damage of 33. Aranea have a +5 ref save, so on average one will make the save and the other is dead. Next turn, the remaining one either runs (a win for the Supernal Destroyer) or charges (doing another 1d6 + str poison, but dying next round). Depending on how the attack rolls, fort saves, and str damage work out, the Supernal Destroyer might be paralyzed by poison. After the fight.

Let's look at a Belker (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/belker.htm)! +7 Initiative means it's a toss up who goes first. Belker charges for an attack at +11 for 1d6+2, Supernal Destroyer drops his AoE for 33 or 15 damage and move actions away. The Belker will use Smoke Claws, which brings the fight to a question of how quickly a DC 14 Fort Save can be made. 16 Con is pretty reasonable by level 6, and there should be at least one point of base save there as well, so it is at least a 50/50 shot each round. 3d4 is only 7ish damage a round, which should take a number of rounds (6) to kill a d6 HD character with 16 Con. Advantage: Supernal Destroyer.

Examination inconclusive.

Postulate: A character should not do more damage than am equal level rogue at-will. A 6th level rogue using TWF swings at +2/+2 plus dex modifier for 4d6ish per hit. 8d6 on a single target is less than 6d10 as an AoE.

If my goal is damage in combat, particularly if the DM tends to use more than one monster at once, why would I choose any class besides this one? That suggests that this class is too strong.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-17, 08:00 PM
Is Acidic Burst intended to damage the Supernal Destroyer? I suspect it is not, but you should clarify that.

Yes, I'll fix that thanks.

Postulate: A character should not do more damage than am equal level rogue at-will. A 6th level rogue using TWF swings at +2/+2 plus dex modifier for 4d6ish per hit. 8d6 on a single target is less than 6d10 as an AoE.

If my goal is damage in combat, particularly if the DM tends to use more than one monster at once, why would I choose any class besides this one? That suggests that this class is too strong.

I disagree with the bolded statement strongly. Fistfuls of d6 are what blasting already has, and it's subpar. Stabbing someone in the back is not supposed to hurt more than being shot in the face with lightning. If you seriously believe that Sneak Attack should be the highest damage in the game, then I suppose you and I will simply have to agree to disagree.

And why would you choose any class other than this one? Perhaps you don't want to throw fire, or perhaps you feel like Power Attack/Leap Attacking and dealing strong amounts of guaranteed damage instead of random dice damage?

Your analysis failed to take into account energy resistance, energy immunity, and evasion. Sure, a rogue has to deal with damage reduction, but damage reduction comes in 5s, 10s and 15s, while energy resistance comes in 10s, 20s, and immunity.

Noctis Vigil
2011-10-17, 08:16 PM
Give this guy some of the metaspell-like feats and he'll blast a ton of damage, though. Particularly with the sonic and force abilities. Hmmm...This thing would be pretty nice to take against the Tarrasque 20d6 force could be maximized several times, as could the sonic ability; yes, it would burn feats, but the sheer power would be something else. (Feats are less of an issue in my games; most of them do so little I give them out at every even level.)

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-17, 08:20 PM
Give this guy some of the metaspell-like feats and he'll blast a ton of damage, though. Particularly with the sonic and force abilities. Hmmm...This thing would be pretty nice to take against the Tarrasque 20d6 force could be maximized several times, as could the sonic ability; yes, it would burn feats, but the sheer power would be something else. (Feats are less of an issue in my games; most of them do so little I give them out at every even level.)

These aren't spell-like abilities. They are supernatural abilities. And there is no Maximize Supernatural Ability feat. (If there was, we wouldn't need Maximize Breath)

Noctis Vigil
2011-10-17, 08:30 PM
These aren't spell-like abilities. They are supernatural abilities. And there is no Maximize Supernatural Ability feat. (If there was, we wouldn't need Maximize Breath)

*facedesk*

You'd think after all these years I'd know how to read, but nooooooo...

You sure there's no "Maximize Su"? Could have sworn I'd seen one before.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-17, 08:31 PM
*facedesk*

You'd think after all these years I'd know how to read, but nooooooo...

You sure there's no "Maximize Su"? Could have sworn I'd seen one before.

See above "wouldn't need Maximize Breath". There might, might might be such a feat in Savage Species, but that is 3.0 material. (And a quick search on D&D Toolshop, which has SS stuff on it, did not turn up a Maxmize Su feat)

Realms of Chaos
2011-10-18, 09:53 AM
Well, there are the empower supernatural ability, enlarge supernatural ability, and widen supernatural ability feats that still do a real number with this class (ToM) but there is fortunately no maximize. Even if that feat existed, however, all feats like it have a limit of 1/day so giving you a single blast for 200 damage doesn't sound too bad over all.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-18, 02:28 PM
Well, there are the empower supernatural ability, enlarge supernatural ability, and widen supernatural ability feats that still do a real number with this class (ToM) but there is fortunately no maximize. Even if that feat existed, however, all feats like it have a limit of 1/day so giving you a single blast for 200 damage doesn't sound too bad over all.

Thanks for clearing that one up, RoC. 1/day Empower wouldn't be too bad for this class, especially as you'd be spending a feat on it. Just a little bit worse than the Sudden Empower Spell feat.

DaTedinator
2011-10-18, 03:48 PM
I love it. It's clean and gets the job done. Great job.

My only complaint would be that, this guy is going to be doing the same thing, over and over again. And that's sort of fine, obviously (he's a blaster), but right now the only choices are "What type of damage do I want to deal?" or, "What sort of shape do I want to deal damage in?"

I think I'd like to see a little more variety in action type. For instance, gaining some sort of attack-action ranged touch attack (so you get iterative attacks), or the ability to spend a full-round action to do more damage/increase the area; things like that.

Also, and this is just a minor quibble, for some reason I wanted to be able to choose between positive and negative energy attacks, like you did with Primal Assault.

However! I fully recognize that this is a complete package, balanced well, and nice and tidy as-is, and understand if your creative vision thinks it's fine right now.

Again, fantastic work.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-18, 04:03 PM
I love it. It's clean and gets the job done. Great job.

My only complaint would be that, this guy is going to be doing the same thing, over and over again. And that's sort of fine, obviously (he's a blaster), but right now the only choices are "What type of damage do I want to deal?" or, "What sort of shape do I want to deal damage in?"

This is a valid point.

I think I'd like to see a little more variety in action type. For instance, gaining some sort of attack-action ranged touch attack (so you get iterative attacks), or the ability to spend a full-round action to do more damage/increase the area; things like that.

To be fair, that's what Prismatic Attack is for. Plus, one of the main reasons I can justify having the damage be this high and having it be given to any character is due to the fact that they can't metamagic it. Giving them the metamagic as part of the class, I think, would require upping the prerequisites and possibly lowering the damage in order to balance it, two things that go against the very reason I wrote the class to begin with.

While I see your problem with the lack of options, it's that trade in versatility that allows for the raw power.

Also, and this is just a minor quibble, for some reason I wanted to be able to choose between positive and negative energy attacks, like you did with Primal Assault.

Done.

Again, fantastic work.

Thank you.

Domriso
2011-10-18, 04:33 PM
So, I've been thinking about the class, and there's one thing that sort of bugs me. I say sort of because it actually sort of makes sense, but at the same time is slightly annoying. I understand you don't want meta-whatever to apply to the blasting, because that could terribly unbalance things, but what about shaping? As it is at the moment, each of the different abilities have very restricted forms (acid is a burst centered on you, lightning is a line, fire is a burst centered not on you, cold is a cone, and sonic is also a burst centered on you).

Would it be possible to offer ways to change these? That's really the only problem I could think of (after a while of thinking).

jiriku
2011-10-18, 05:34 PM
THINGS I LIKE

Simple.
Easy to learn and use.
No limited-use abilities to track.

QUESTIONS I HAVE

Is the breath of cold a breath weapon? If so, it qualifies for a number of metabreath feats that make it quite versatile. But it also raises the question of why the save DC isn't based on Con as it is for every other supernatural breath weapon in the game.
Did you intend for breath of cold to have a save DC based on full character level? It's the only feature in the whole class with that saving throw formula, so I'm inclined to suspect it's a typo.

SUGGESTIONS

Add some sort of synergy with the warlock and dragonfire adept, so that members of the existing unlimited-blast classes would have incentive to take this prestige class.
Blast of force is weak for the level. I'd suggest adding a bull rush effect.
Regularize the save DCs with the standard 10 + 1/2 character level + ability modifier formula and drop or halve the +4 perfection bonus capstone. This will remove the peaks and valleys in the current save DC progression and give a smoother, even progression that works for all 15+ levels of the game in which this class will play.
The ability to customize the features according to your interests and needs would be nice. For example, you could grant, at each of the first four levels, one shape and one energy type, which are chosen independently. The character could then mix and match various shapes and energy types to suite the needs of the situation.
Adjust the power balance of the shapes so that they're all equally strong choices. In particular, the burst effect is always inferior to the blast or scream choices, if both are available, and the bolt effect struggles to compete with the cone and blast.

Kenneth
2011-10-18, 06:06 PM
I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!

this is by far my absolute favorite homebrewed you have made EVAH!!!

I would suggest to not make breath fo cold an actual breathe weapon as to me that is more dragon based stuff.

but I do seocnd givivng the force blast a bullrush/overrun effects so its like a high powered version of blast of force (spell compendium)

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-18, 09:30 PM
Is the breath of cold a breath weapon? If so, it qualifies for a number of metabreath feats that make it quite versatile. But it also raises the question of why the save DC isn't based on Con as it is for every other supernatural breath weapon in the game.

It's not. That's just the name of the ability. It's a cone from your hands.

Did you intend for breath of cold to have a save DC based on full character level? It's the only feature in the whole class with that saving throw formula, so I'm inclined to suspect it's a typo.

That is indeed a typo.

Add some sort of synergy with the warlock and dragonfire adept, so that members of the existing unlimited-blast classes would have incentive to take this prestige class.

I don't know how I would do this. The class is very basic already, it's intended to be a blaster out of the box. The fluff of the class is simply manipulating the elements of the world. It's a supernatural ability, which is completely different from eldritch blast, and it has a higher damage than a dragonfire adept, but less use because it has a cooldown.

Blast of force is weak for the level. I'd suggest adding a bull rush effect.

How is it weak? It's basically orb of force with a much higher level cap and a rider effect.

Regularize the save DCs with the standard 10 + 1/2 character level + ability modifier formula and drop or halve the +4 perfection bonus capstone. This will remove the peaks and valleys in the current save DC progression and give a smoother, even progression that works for all 15+ levels of the game in which this class will play.

Alright. Updated them all, though I kept the perfection bonus at a full +4 to encourage taking all 10 levels of the class.

Noctis Vigil
2011-10-18, 09:46 PM
Question: may I use a couple of these abilities in a class of my own, please? I've been working on a base class called Elemental Angel for a long time now because I got stumped, and some of these are just perfect.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-18, 09:48 PM
Question: may I use a couple of these abilities in a class of my own, please? I've been working on a base class called Elemental Angel for a long time now because I got stumped, and some of these are just perfect.

I have no problems with that, as long as you give me credit and link to this thread. :smallsmile: Thank you for the compliment.

jiriku
2011-10-18, 10:05 PM
How is it weak? It's basically orb of force with a much higher level cap and a rider effect.

It's gained six levels later. Expectations have increased.

Noctis Vigil
2011-10-18, 10:12 PM
It's gained six levels later. Expectations have increased.

Keep in mind, he can also use it as many times a day as he needs to (on average, once every 2 rounds at 10th level). While I agree it should cause knockback instead of knock over, I don't think it should have its damage increased; force is hard to block.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-18, 10:33 PM
Alright, I had it do either knock back or knock over.

Kenneth
2011-10-20, 08:59 PM
HEY neoseraphi!!

I have a question to ask of you.

One of my players at a new gaming session happend to look over my shoulder as I was on GITPG and read this PrC from you and expressed interest in playing this.

Can I have your permission to try this out in a real life game test?

PS. it would be cool to posty up like a 'campaign journal' of this but i would not knwo what subforum to post it in. i woudl guess D20 one.. but.. idk?

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-20, 10:49 PM
HEY neoseraphi!!

I have a question to ask of you.

One of my players at a new gaming session happend to look over my shoulder as I was on GITPG and read this PrC from you and expressed interest in playing this.

Can I have your permission to try this out in a real life game test?

PS. it would be cool to posty up like a 'campaign journal' of this but i would not knwo what subforum to post it in. i woudl guess D20 one.. but.. idk?

But of course! All of my homebrew is free to play for anyone, no one need to ask, but I'd appreciate any feedback!

Ziegander
2011-10-21, 12:43 AM
That's magic. It's not elemental damage. You can't just give magic to a rogue or a fighter for no reason. And while it would certainly be better, this is good enough. More damage, no SR, scaling saving throws. Blasting is damage. AOE Crowd control is much different than AOE blasting, and there's no need to mix them.

Facepalm. So, you're all for suddenly giving the Fighter or Rogue supernatural abilities that let them scour whole swaths of land and creatures with elemental energy of every type for no reason, but having that energy do anything other than deal hit point damage is where you draw the line? W.T.F.

Are you aware that supernatural abilities are magic?

I was fine with this class giving mundanes magic for no reason. I like that. I thought the class could use some work, but oh well. However, then when someone suggested something that might help improve the class your response was, "lolno, there's no way I'm making my absolutely dripping with magic class give my players magic."

FACEPALM.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-21, 12:58 AM
Facepalm. So, you're all for suddenly giving the Fighter or Rogue supernatural abilities that let them scour whole swaths of land and creatures with elemental energy of every type for no reason, but having that energy do anything other than deal hit point damage is where you draw the line? W.T.F.

Are you aware that supernatural abilities are magic?

I was fine with this class giving mundanes magic for no reason. I like that. I thought the class could use some work, but oh well. However, then when someone suggested something that might help improve the class your response was, "lolno, there's no way I'm making my absolutely dripping with magic class give my players magic."

FACEPALM.

I'm willing to accept suggestions for improvement. That's why I've changed the class as much as I did since the beginning. But rider effects are something I've always viewed as the line.

Debuffing is not blasting. It is the ability to weaken your foe's ability to attack properly through magical means.

Yes, wizards have rider effects. No, I do not care that wizards have rider effects.

Blasting is, to me, damage. Pure, unbridled damage. And adding rider effects would make it "better", sure, but I don't want this class to compete with a wizard for "effectiveness", I just want it to outdamage a wizard who isn't exploiting metamagic abuse, which it can do quite easily.