PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Master (3.5 PrC, PEACH)

Noctis Vigil
2011-10-17, 11:45 PM
I've been discussing this class in another thread, but never bothered to post it before. It's one of my favorite crafting classes that I've made, designed to make a specific item type that is sadly not made enough more easily attainable: scrolls. These sadly neglected items are rarely made in many games, simply because the rules for higher level scrolls are stupid. This class fixes some of that, and gives some fun (albeit still somewhat costly) abilities as well. Without further ado:

Scroll Master
Prerequisites:
Feats: Scribe Scroll, Skill Focus: Decipher Script
Skills: Spellcraft 8 Ranks, Decipher Script 8 Ranks, Craft (Caligraphy) 5 Ranks
Special: Ability to cast 4th level spells

Class Skills:
The scroll master's class skills (and the key ability for each) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Forgery (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int).
Skillpoints at Level Up: 2+Int mod
Hit Die: D4

{table=head]Level|
BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|
Special|Spellcasting|Master Scribe

1st|
+0|+0|+0|+2||+1 level of spellcasting|
-5%

2nd|
+1|+0|+0|+3|Quick Read|+1 level of spellcasting|
-10%

3rd|
+1|+1|+1|+3||+1 level of spellcasting|
-15%

4th|
+2|+1|+1|+4|Shorthand|+1 level of spellcasting|
-20%

5th|
+2|+1|+1|+4||+1 level of spellcasting|
-25%

6th|
+3|+2|+2|+5|Scribe Metamagic Scroll|+1 level of spellcasting|
-30%

7th|
+3|+2|+2|+5||+1 level of spellcasting|
-35%

8th|
+4|+2|+2|+6|Diligent Scribe|+1 level of spellcasting|
-40%

9th|
+4|+3|+3|+6||+1 level of spellcasting|
-45%

10th|
+5|+3|+3|+7|Perfect Scroll Use|+1 level of spellcasting|
-50%[/table]

Class Abilities: The following are all class abilities of a scroll master.

Proficiencies: A scroll master gains no proficiencies in any weapons or armors.

Spells Per Day: A scroll master's training is all about magical studies. Thus, he gains spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had just gained a level in whatever spellcasting class he belonged to before taking levels in scroll master. He does not, however, gain any other benefits of that class (bonus feats, improved familiar abilities, increased power when turning undead, et cetera).

If the scroll master had more than one spellcasting class before taking levels in this class, he must decide which class gains the added level of spellcasting.

Master Scribe: A scroll master knows how to scribe scrolls quickly and at less cost. At every level of scroll master, the cost in money and EXP to write a scroll is reduced by 5%.

Quick Read: A scroll master is so attuned to the magic of scrolls that he instinctively knows how to read them. At second level, a scroll master can use the spell read magic as a free action at will.

Shorthand: A scroll master is so used to writing his spells quickly and concisely that he actually takes less space to scribe them. Upon reaching fourth level, all spells scribed into his spellbook take up only one page (and the cost to scribe them there is adjusted accordingly).

Scribe Metamagic Scroll: A scroll master has discovered one of the secrets of magic by working his power with scrolls. At sixth level, he has determined how to scribe metamagic by itself.

To scribe metamagic, one must first know the metamagic feat to be scribed. The cost for scribing metamagic is (number of levels it would increase the spell by X caster level X 25GP + 1/25 the total cost in EXP), or the same as the cost of a normal scroll with the spell level being the number of levels the metamagic would increase the spell by, and takes one day per 1,000GP in the scrolls total cost to create. This cost formula is reduced by the Master Scribe ability.

To use a metamagic scroll, one must first decipher it using read magic or succeeding on a Spellcraft check (DC20 + the number of levels the metamagic would increase the spell). After this is done, one must then have a high enough caster stat to cast a spell of the proper level (so using a scroll of maximize on the fireball spell would mean you need a caster stat of at least 17). Then, one must cast a spell; the spell takes the normal amount of time to cast, and applying the metamagic scroll is a swift action.

Multiple metamagic scrolls can be used on the same spell; two scrolls raises the time of casting from a standard action to a full round action, or adds a round to longer spells. Any scroll after the second simply adds another round to the casting time. The user must still have a high enough caster stat to cast the spell after all metamagic scrolls are applied (so to use a scroll of maximize and a scroll of empower on a fireball spell, you would need a caster stat of 19). Crafting a scroll of quicken is pointless, as all metamagic scrolls add to the casting time of a spell.

Diligent Scribe: A scroll master is incredibly focused on his craft, gaining a mastery over scrolls and a speed at making them that others can only dream of. Upon reaching eighth level, henceforth any scroll scribed by the scroll master takes only one day to create (this includes metamagic scrolls).

Perfect Scroll Use: A scroll master has now mastered all there is to know of scrolls, feels the instinctive magic of the parchment, and knows how to make it last. Upon reaching tenth level, he may now use any scroll twice before the magic fades from it.

More, he may use any magic from a specially prepared spellbook as a scroll. Doing so does not cause the spell to fade away, provided he only casts it once a day; if he uses a spell from a book a second time in one day, the spell will vanish and need to be repenned in the book. Preparing a book in this manner requires a magical ritual that costs 10,000GP and 8 hours of uninterrupted concentration. He may create a new one of these books at any time, but may not have more than one of them at any given time. He cannot cast spells out of other spellbooks in this manner, not even a specially prepared spellbook from another scroll master, nor may anyone else cast spells out of his specially prepared spellbook. This special book may also no longer be used to prepare spells from; doing so counts as using the spell once for the day.

Andion Isurand
2011-10-18, 01:49 AM
I could see these 5 abilities being part of a 5 level PrC that goes up to a 30% crafting discount... Plus I would add Decipher Script and Forgery to the skill list

here's the prerequisites I would have

Feats: Scribe Scroll
Skills: Craft (Caligraphy) 4 ranks, Decipher Script 4 ranks, Spellcraft 9 ranks
Spells: Ability to prepare 3rd-level arcane spells from a spellbook
Special: Ability to craft scrolls that contain 3rd-level arcane spells

{table=head] Master Scribe

-5% |

-10% |

-15% |

-20% |

-30% |
[/table]

Plus I think the casting from a spellbook as if it were a bunch of scrolls is too powerful, since its not using up exp...

Noctis Vigil
2011-10-18, 03:32 AM
I could see these 5 abilities being part of a 5 level PrC that goes up to a 30% crafting discount... Plus I would add Decipher Script and Forgery to the skill list

here's the prerequisites I would have

Feats: Scribe Scroll
Skills: Craft (Caligraphy) 4 ranks, Decipher Script 4 ranks, Spellcraft 9 ranks
Spells: Ability to prepare 3rd-level arcane spells from a spellbook
Special: Ability to craft scrolls that contain 3rd-level arcane spells

{table=head] Master Scribe
-5%
-10%
-15%
-20%
-30%
[/table]

Plus I think the casting from a spellbook as if it were a bunch of scrolls is too powerful, since its not using up exp...

How the heck did I miss giving him Decipher Script?! :smalleek: Yeesh, I need to sleep more than twice a week...

Decipher Script and Forgery added to the skill list, some ranks in Decipher Script added to the prereqs, and the required entry feat is switched to Skill Focus: Decipher Script.

I was trying not to make it bound to arcane; yes, I know divine scrolls are rare, but they aren't nonexistent, so I felt I shouldn't bar divine magic from the class.

As for the capstone, I thought it might be a little much, but it's hard to tell sometimes. What do you suggest as a solution? I really like the idea of casting straight out of a spellbook, and I don't want to lose it, so does anyone have suggestions to tone the power down?

Andion Isurand
2011-10-18, 03:45 AM
How about just keeping your scrolls in a book, so you can keep reusing the same sheets of paper each time the writing on a scroll disappears when used? Call it a scrollbook instead of a spellbook. And call the class Scroll Binder instead of Scroll Master. Plus it works for non-wizard casters who take the class.

Then of course make a special ability called Scrollbook... making it similar to a bonded item that supernaturally gains Hardness and HP and possibly energy resistances, that allows new scrolls to insert and attach inside it, and also allows you to automatically turn to the desired scroll as part of using it.

Decipher Script is a cross class skill for many non-wizard casters, so...

_____________TEST SAMPLE______________

Scroll Binder

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a scroll binder, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Feats: Scribe Scroll, Diligent
Skills: Craft (calligraphy) 2 ranks, Decipher Script 2 ranks, Spellcraft 9 ranks
Special: Must have scribed at least one scroll for a 3rd level spell without any assistants.

Special | Master Scribe
Imbued Libram, Read Magic |
-10% |
Scroll Power (+1) |
-10% |
Scroll Affinity |
-15% |
Swift Scribe (1/day) |
-15% |
Scroll Power (+2) |
-20% |
- |
-20% |
Metamagic Scroll |
-25% |
Scroll Power (+3) |
-25% |
- |
-35% |
- |
-50% |

Hit Die: d4
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Appraise, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Forgery, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Profession, Spellcraft and Use Magic Device.

CLASS FEATURES
All the following are class features of the scroll binder prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Scroll binders gain no proficiency with any weapon, armor or shield.
Spellcasting: etc... etc...
Master Scribe: A scroll binder may reduce the monetary and experience point cost (to a minimum of 1) for scribing scrolls by the percentage indicated at her current class level, but she must still provide any focus, material components and experience cost inherit to the scribed spell itself.
Imbued Libram: To hold and protect her scrolls, a scroll binder may imbue and enhance one book or tome in a ritual that takes 8 hours and costs 50gp per hit point the libram will possess. To advance the libram with each class level, additional rituals must be performed and the difference in cost must be paid. (see advancement table below)
An imbued libram saves as a magic item with a caster level equal to its master's character level. A scroll binder may only have one imbued libram at a time. If her libram is broken, destroyed or discarded, a new libram may be imbued to take its place. If the libram's master dies, it loses all its special abilities for as long as the master remains deceased.
Read Magic (Sp): A scroll binder gains read magic as a spell-like ability, usable at will.
Scroll Power: At 2nd level, a scroll binder gains a +1 competence bonus to caster level when casting a spell from a scroll, be it arcane or divine. This bonus increases by 1 for every three class levels gained beyond the second.
Scroll Affinity: Starting at 3rd level, a scroll binder may take a 10 on any Concentration check required to cast a spell from a scroll.
Swift Scribe: Upon reaching 4th level, henceforth any scroll scribed by the scroll binder takes only one day to create.
Metamagic Scroll: Upon reaching 7th level...etc etc

IMBUED LIBRAM ADVANCEMENT
Class Level | Added Hardness | Added Hit Points | Special
1st |
2 |
6 | Bind Scrolls, Perfect Seal
2nd |
4 |
12 | Self Repair
3rd |
6 |
18 | Sense Location
4th |
8 |
24 |
5th |
10 |
30 |
6th |
12 |
36 | Hands Free
7th |
15 |
45 |
8th |
20 |
60 |
9th |
25 |
75 |
10th |
30 |
90 | Return

Bind Scrolls (Su): An imbued libram may may hold up to 100 scrolls. A free action is all that is required to bind (or unbind) a scroll within the libram. Only the libram's master may cast a spell from a scroll bound within the libram, and when she does so the libram automatically flips to the desired scroll as part of the same action.
Perfect Seal (Ex): Only the libram's master may unbind a scroll from within the libram without breaking or destroying it. As long as the libram has at least 1 hit point, all bound scrolls within remain undamaged and unsoiled, even if submersed in liquids or exposed to energy damage. If the libram is broken or destroyed or replaced by another, it loses all special abilities and all scrolls bound within are released.
Self Repair (Su): The libram recovers hit points every hour equal to 1/2 its master's class level.
Sense Location (Su): By concentrating for a full round, the libram's master knows the direction and distance to her libram, so long as it is on the same plane.
Hands Free (Su): The libram's master may let go of it, such that it levitates close nearby, allowing her to use it without holding it in her hands. The animated libram moves with its master, sharing her space and acting in every other way as if she were holding it normally. The libram itself also gains a dodge bonus to AC equal to its master's class level while levitating.
Return (Su): The libram's master may summon it to her hand as a standard action, so long as it is on the same plane. When summoned in this way, the libram simply appears in the master's hand. Any effect targeting the libram or its master that prevents teleportation also blocks this ability.