PDA

View Full Version : Longer run TV Series needed.

Cheesegear
2011-10-18, 03:30 AM
So, I exercise 3-4 times a week, for about an hour to 90 minutes. I can churn through about 8-10 episodes of any given TV Show every week, leading me to complete a Season in roughly two and a half weeks. Generally sooner if I like a show so much that I sabotage myself and watch it on my off days...

Basically, I've run out of things to keep my brain occupied while lifting heavy things and jumping a rope over and over again.

Can anybody suggest a good TV Series for me to watch? Preferably something with at least 4 Seasons under it's belt (and/or at 3 Seasons and still going, etc.)? Preferably something that may have been out a while so I can get it on DVD? Also, preferably something with episodes at least 40 minutes long. I churn through 24-to-6 minute shows like nobody's business. But don't let that stop you.

Things I already own/Don't suggest. This is not an exhaustive list and will probably lengthen as the thread goes on to include things that I've forgotten.
Smallville
Psych
Deadwood
Sopranos
Stargate (all three versions)
FarScape
Breaking Bad
Dexter
Spartacus
Sanctuary
Heroes
Supernatural
Burn Notice
Firefly (This show would actually be a bad choice to suggest, it's half a season long. I only include it for completeness - and to post this message.)
Battlestar Galactica
Doctor Who (the newer series anyway).
Buffy and Angel
House

Cheers
Frasier
The Drew Carey Show
I know they're half-hour shows. But there's 9+ Seasons of each so I'm including them.

I'm not particularly attached to any specific genre. If it's engaging, and I can watch it while my brain is turning to mush because blood is pumping elsewhere; I will watch it. I was only able to keep up with Deadwood because I turned the subtitles on (in fact I always turn subtitles on). But still, that show is amazing.

Selrahc
2011-10-18, 03:53 AM
By similarity:

Stargate (all three versions)
FarScape
Firefly

DS9
The Next Generation
Battlestar Galactica
Babylon 5
Doctor Who

Sopranos
Breaking Bad

The Wire

Psych
Dexter

House
Monk

Cheers
Frasier

Friends
The Simpsons
How I Met Your Mother
QI

Supernatural
Smallville

Buffy
Angel

Cheesegear
2011-10-18, 04:36 AM
DS9
The Next Generation
Battlestar Galactica
Babylon 5
Doctor Who
The Wire
House
Monk
Friends
The Simpsons
How I Met Your Mother
QI
Buffy
Angel

The crossed out ones have been added to the OP. As has the Drew Carey Show.

Evrine
2011-10-18, 05:48 AM
Hogan's Heroes (6 seasons)
Get Smart (5 seasons)
Wings (8 seasons)
The Cosby Show (8 seasons)

Leverage (currently in 4th season)
Due South (4 seasons)
Diagnosis Murder (8 seasons
Murder, She Wrote (12 seasons)
Perry Mason Tv Movies (I think there were 30 of them)
Matlock (9 seasons)

paddyfool
2011-10-18, 06:01 AM
Selrahc covered most of the ones I might suggest, but (in no particular order):

24 (might be particularly good to exercise to, based on the mood of it)
Prison break
Lost (maybe)
Futurama
The X files
Red Dwarf
Scrapheap Challenge
Mythbusters

You might also get some ideas from this list (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?num_votes=5000,&sort=user_rating,desc&title_type=tv_series), although many of the series on it are short.

Kato
2011-10-18, 06:03 AM
Well, it will only last you a week but Blackadder is something nice to watch (better after the first season, though)
Same basically for Coupling (the UK show, I think there's another)
And while we are at sitcoms, there's The Office that's generally appreciated, South Park and all the stuff Seth MacFarlane made...
And if you've seen Nu!Who... well, Old!Who will surely help you through another year or so :smallbiggrin:

All 1/2 hour stuff, though. Up to you to take it. I'm sure I could come up with quite a few more...

paddyfool
2011-10-18, 06:15 AM
I was going to suggest Blackadder, but yes, it would all be over rather quickly (Red Dwarf was pushing it, to be honest).

Another suggestion: Fullmetal alchemist, both versions. I'm not a big anime fan generally, and even I enjoyed the first version (although I was left a little less than satisfied by how it ended). And I hear the second version is even better.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-18, 10:06 AM
Another suggestion: Fullmetal alchemist, both versions. I'm not a big anime fan generally, and even I enjoyed the first version (although I was left a little less than satisfied by how it ended). And I hear the second version is even better.
That's pretty speedy... By his pacing, that's 16-20 episodes in a week, so he'd finish the whole series in about a month. Unless the original series is longer, I haven't seen that one. (Brotherhood is a mere 64 episodes, IIRC)

I would thoroughly recommend Chuck. Action/Comedy spy show, and it's stellar. Still ongoing, I think.

Arminius
2011-10-18, 10:13 AM
Midsomer Murders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midsomer_Murders) is pretty good, and very long running, especially by British standards.

thompur
2011-10-18, 10:23 AM
The West Wing (7 seasons)
Wiseguy (4 seasons)
Twilight Zone (5 seasons)
Wild Wild West (4 Seasons)

Maelstrom
2011-10-18, 12:25 PM
CSI (All three flavors add up to 26 seasons completed thus far)
Fringe (in the 4th season now)
Family Guy (10th Season now)
American Dad (7th Season now)
Sons of Anarchy (4th season now)
The Tudors (4 Seasons complete)
Rome (Only 2 seasons, but worth it)
True Blood (4th season just wrapped)

That's it for now...

Gaius Marius
2011-10-18, 12:38 PM
Who's line is it anyway?

Dr.Epic
2011-10-18, 12:40 PM
Check out MST3K. Each episode is an hour and a half and they made nearly 200 of them.

Karoht
2011-10-18, 12:46 PM
MASH

There are a lot of episodes, I honestly forget how many.

If you have Netflicks there's new series stuff and documentaries being added all the time. Worth the $8 a month at the rate you seem to be burning through content. And they're now adding anime series in bulk. 24-36 episodes isn't much to you, but it's something.
Top Gear is one I would highly recommend if you like cars at all.
Heroes maybe?
Did someone recommend Lost? I don't personally recommend it but it's lengthy.

H Birchgrove
2011-10-18, 04:33 PM
Crime:
Homicide: Life on the Street
Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett)
The Untouchables
Poirot
Miss Marple
The Saint

Spy-fi:
The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Mission Impossible
Get Smart (mixes with comedy)
MacGyver

Sci-fi:
*Everything* by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson; I've seen Thunderbirds and Space: 1999 (the latter has only two seasons, but the previous series UFO can be seen as a forerunner), and I'm willing to bet my honour that the rest is about as good.

Red Dwarf (mixes with comedy, British)
The Outer Limits
The Twilight Zone

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-18, 05:44 PM
M*A*S*H - 11 Seasons - War, Dramedy

PhantomDennis
2011-10-18, 05:46 PM
CSI Miami
Castle (Now in it's 4th Season)
Lois and Clark (more RomCom take on Superman than Smallvile)
Scarecrow and Mrs. King
The X-Files
Early Edition
Chuck

I'm not sure all of those are on DVD. A long-running show like Bonanza could keep you very busy even if you stopped before Adam left and "Little" Joe began sprouting gray hairs.

Istari
2011-10-18, 05:49 PM
Since it surprisingly hasn't been mentioned yet. The various seasons of Star Trek are always a classic.

Soepvork
2011-10-18, 06:35 PM
I'd suggest Prison Break, 4 seasons (although the 3rd is only half length due to the writers' strike, and I'd suggest ignoring the 4th, so actually more like 2.5 seasons :) )

Shadow Lord
2011-10-18, 06:38 PM
Star Trek. All of the Star Treks. Ever.

Lord Seth
2011-10-18, 06:43 PM
Star Trek. All of the Star Treks. Ever.You're recommending Voyager and Enterprise?:smallconfused:

douglas
2011-10-18, 06:54 PM
What, no one's mentioned Dragonball and Dragonball Z yet? Sure, the plotting and fights get a bit repetitive and the pacing is way too slow, but it should be plenty good enough if you're just looking for something to keep your brain from total shutdown and boredom and it's hard to beat for length. 153 episodes for DB and 291 episodes for DBZ.

Kato
2011-10-18, 06:54 PM
You're recommending Enterprise?:smallconfused:

Fixed that for you.

paddyfool
2011-10-18, 06:59 PM
Also, as another suggestion, have you tried audiobooks or radio series?

douglas
2011-10-18, 07:06 PM
Also, as another suggestion, have you tried audiobooks or radio series?
If audiobooks are acceptable brain distractors, the Wheel of Time series should keep you occupied for a pretty significant chunk of time. I think each book clocks in somewhere in the 20 to 30 hour range in audio format, and there are 13 (soon to be 14 when the final book gets published next year) books.

VanBuren
2011-10-18, 07:11 PM
The Wire

Terrible suggestion.

Don't misunderstand, it's an amazing show. But it takes focus, especially in the first season. Beyond that, it's probably not the kind of show you want to take all in one go. As a wise id in a dog suit once said, "that **** is dense".

So definitely worth a go, but not in this context.

That's just my opinion though, so take it for what it is.

Metahuman1
2011-10-18, 07:19 PM
What, no one's mentioned Dragonball and Dragonball Z yet? Sure, the plotting and fights get a bit repetitive and the pacing is way too slow, but it should be plenty good enough if you're just looking for something to keep your brain from total shutdown and boredom and it's hard to beat for length. 153 episodes for DB and 291 episodes for DBZ.

Don't forget Dragonball GT. That's easily another 100 eps or more.

Kung Fu is considered a classic.

There was another show called the Equalizer that had a similar flavor to Burn Notice but it's older. Could be worth the look.

The A-team and Adam West Batman for the sheer campyness.

Recommend Voyager but not Enterprise.

The Green Hornet had all of one season, but Bruce Lee fights were worth it all by themselves. (And they really were the selling point.)

Bully Beatdown is reality tv, but the premise (Seeing High-school meat head types get put in there place by pro MMA fighters. And losing money doing so to add enough insult to nationally televised injury as a means of trying to make sure they remember the lesson.), is entertaining enough that I liked it. And I HATE reality TV.

Big Bang Theory.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-18, 07:23 PM
Don't forget Dragonball GT. That's easily another 100 eps or more.

Because it's almost objectively horrible and isn't canon.

Metahuman1
2011-10-18, 07:33 PM
Looked Canon to me. And consider that it's only being compared too Z and original DB. It's not that bad in that light.

VanBuren
2011-10-18, 07:39 PM
Looked Canon to me. And consider that it's only being compared too Z and original DB. It's not that bad in that light.

Toriyama didn't make it, and I guess it's been more or less rendered uncanon by Dragonball Online.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-18, 08:04 PM
Toriyama didn't make it, and I guess it's been more or less rendered uncanon by Dragonball Online.

Which enough to make in uncanon in the first place.

Weezer
2011-10-18, 08:06 PM
Well since you've watched all of nu-Who, why not try some Classic Doctor Who. It's quite good (if you're okay with a bit of cheese) and really long, so you wont be finishing it anytime soon.

Metahuman1
2011-10-18, 08:39 PM
Dragon ball online?

And if the original creator making it makes it not Canon, then every star wars novel, many of which were as good as or better then the ORIGINAL movies, is also not canon cause Lucas didn't write them. And the Lord of the Rings Movies arn't Canon cause J.R.R. Tolkien didn't make them.

Need I go on?

However I am intrigued about this Dragon Ball online. What the heck is it?

Gator
2011-10-18, 10:17 PM
Inuyasha? They're half-hour episodes, but there are a heckuva lot of them.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-10-18, 11:07 PM
It seems to me that linking to Long Runners (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LongRunners) in addition to risking the concept of sleep is a good place to start.

I've always found Law & Order to be excellent filler material myself and there is lots and lots of it.

Dragon ball online?

And if the original creator making it makes it not Canon, then every star wars novel, many of which were as good as or better then the ORIGINAL movies, is also not canon cause Lucas didn't write them. And the Lord of the Rings Movies arn't Canon cause J.R.R. Tolkien didn't make them.

Need I go on?

Dragonball Online is precisely what it sounds like an MMORPG based in the same universe.

Also Star Wars is different because there are explicitly defined levels of canon that cover what is produced in the EU material. This however is almost unique to the Star Wars allowing multiple creators across multiple media with varying levels of canon.

The LotR movies are the normal rule and are completely, utterly, and extremely non-canon. The Elves were not present at Helm's Deep, Saruman did not die falling from Orthanc, Frodo had a much easier time with Faramir, Elrond never left Rivendell, and many many other things. This isn't even getting into vague issues like whether the Balrog had wings or not where the source is disputable. Its something of a wonder there aren't more cries of Jackson commiting total canon defilement.

EVERY adaptation of a source material is generally non-canon unless there is a specific statement otherwise.

Need I go on?

VanBuren
2011-10-19, 12:20 AM
Dragon ball online?

Need I go on?

Well, Toriyama also basically said that he didn't want to do it. It's also terrible. So its official canon status isn't relevant to whether or not the fandom is willing to accept it as such.

Abies
2011-10-19, 12:27 AM
A bit of unsolicited advice: watch nothing. If you are working out, concentrate on working out. If you are running/jogging concentrate on your breathing or muscle involvement.
If you need to be distracted while exercising, you are not getting the full physical and mental benefit of that exercise.
This is one of the worst side effects of indoor exercise, making distraction from actual exercise acceptable.

turkishproverb
2011-10-19, 04:50 AM
By and in large, you can ignore Abies. Unless it's causing you to not exercise, the stuff is fine.

Here's a list, my higher recommendations are starred.

*Doctor Who
*DOCTOR WHO: Audos by big finish.
DragonBall/Z
Power Rangers
Bonanza
Gunsmoke
Mr. Rogers
*Home improvement
*Get Smart
Mash *(for the middle half)
west Wing
*All 3 twilight zone series
*House
*Monk
*Hogans heroes
diagnosis Murder
Matlock
*Columbo
*Red Dwarf
Midsommer Murders
*Black Adder
Seseme Street
*Fraggle Rock (4 seasons)
*Mystery Science Theater 3000
*Cinematic Titanic
Rifftrax
*Shorter but awesome and related:
* Film Crew
* Incognito Cinema Warriors XP (icwxp.com)
*Old Sherlock Holmes
Poirot
Miss Marple
Murder She Wrote
*3rd rock from the SUn
Ultraman (39 or so eps of AWESOME)
X-files
Early edition
*The collective DCAU
Kamen Rider (if you can get the whole franchise, that's over 20 series, plus specials. And some of those, like the 1st, are ridiculously long)
Similar for Super Sentai, thought quality isn't quite as steady.

KillianHawkeye
2011-10-19, 07:29 AM
I thought Dragonball GT was alright. Although Toriyama wasn't directly involved in making it, he did consult with them about potential storylines and such.

As for suggestions, I can't think of anything that hasn't already been said.

Obrysii
2011-10-19, 07:37 AM
LEXX. It's a pretty creepy Sci-fi series from Canada. There's 60+ episodes, most an hour long, and the first three are 1.5 hours long.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-19, 10:04 AM
Has anyone mentioned the Simpsons? The series that's been around just about as long as I've been alive and has nearly 500 episodes?

H Birchgrove
2011-10-19, 10:08 AM
More crime:
Kojak
Navy: CIS/N:CIS
Knight Rider :smallbiggrin:

More sci-fi:
The Incredible Hulk :thog:

Court drama:
L.A. Law
J.A.G. (same "universe" and producers as Navy: CIS)
The Practice
Boston Legal (spin-off of the former series, usually lighter in tone)

Documentary:
The Great War
The World At War

The Life Collection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Life_Collection) for the David Attenborough fans.

If you love nature programs, get also Life (BBC TV series) and Life in Cold Blood too even if they are too short.

You're recommending Voyager and Enterprise?:smallconfused:

Voyager has its charms IMHO. And Seven of Nine.

I think Enterprise would have gotten better if it had been allowed to continue. It wasn't worse than the first two seasons of TNG.

Selrahc
2011-10-19, 10:23 AM
Terrible suggestion.

Don't misunderstand, it's an amazing show. But it takes focus, especially in the first season. Beyond that, it's probably not the kind of show you want to take all in one go. As a wise id in a dog suit once said, "that **** is dense".

So definitely worth a go, but not in this context.

That's just my opinion though, so take it for what it is.

Deadwood is just as complex as the Wire. If he can watch and enjoy one while exercising, he can watch and enjoy the other.

H Birchgrove
2011-10-19, 10:35 AM
Oh! I forgot!

Westerns:
How The West Was Won/The Macahans

(More popular in Sweden Europe than in USA, but it has the very manly James Arness from Gunsmoke and Bruce Boxleitner who you may know from Babylon 5 and who is very handsome.)

turkishproverb
2011-10-19, 03:20 PM
More sci-fi:
The Incredible Hulk :thog:

How did I forget that?!

Adding to the list:
Kolchack: The night stalker: not the longest one, but between it and the two movies, respectable and fun