PDA

View Full Version : Periodic table of fictional elements

Das Platyvark
2011-10-18, 04:44 PM
Came across this little gem in my travels through stumbleupon:
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/3GBuci/www.fictionalmaterials.com/

irenicObserver
2011-10-19, 06:49 PM
all this did was make me start thinking of compounds and lifeforms made of those elements.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-19, 11:40 PM
Awesome. I am highly pleased to see that Claudia, Sakuradite, and Calculon all made it on here.

Pokonic
2011-10-20, 02:49 PM
Huh, the Color from out of Space is on here! I am pleased, internet!:smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2011-10-21, 09:56 AM
Shouldn't Jumbonium be at the very bottom of the table because its atoms are so large?

Edit: Also element 152 is not actually in the 152nd position, which makes no sense.

Eldan
2011-10-21, 09:57 AM
Apparently, they are sorted not by size, but by "fictionalness", according to the small legend.

No brains
2011-10-25, 03:59 PM
Hated it. Many, many problems.

This table states Adamantine originated in Marvel comics. Then it states it is very similar to Carmot, the material the philosopher's stone is made from. After that, it has a separate entry for the philosopher's stone itself.

I don't think it is organized well enough to be at the prime level of nerdyness it wanted to be. The arrangement seems haphazard and elements that are alike can be on opposite sides of the table, like Jumbonium and Maracite. There also isn't an entry for Cortexrulestheworldium.

GloatingSwine
2011-10-25, 04:44 PM
Periodic table of fictional elements by people who don't actually understand the periodic table, then.

Most of the things in their table aren't elements, and the ones that are are all in the wrong places.

Also, people with no ears, read the entry for #209 then watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yfXgu37iyI), and realise that there is no mispronunciation going on, just a funny accent and people who have **** hearing.

Kane
2011-10-25, 04:48 PM
Reminds me of an old game I remember seeing in an Analog magazine; lanets and selements. Take the first letter off of a series (lanets) or add a letter to it, (selements), then come up with a new definition.

Shydrogen. Scarbon. Soxygen. It was decently amusing.

That said, they lose serious points for not having E-115 as the one hundred fifteenth element.

littlebottom
2011-10-25, 06:45 PM
There also isn't an entry for Cortexrulestheworldium.

Yes, there is. look again:smallwink:

Soras Teva Gee
2011-10-25, 07:58 PM
While its was suprisingly through I kept thinking, notanelement, notanelement, notanelement, notanelement, notanelement, and so on. I mean I don't think it could have been done quite right but when you are attempt some unparralleled nerd high, it must be sublime. Also there is no room for things like this:

Promethium X

source: Spider-Man animated series - DC Comics

Epic. Fail.

drakir_nosslin
2011-10-26, 07:43 AM
Epic. Fail.

Really? Because I haven't heard of Promethium X anywhere else. Both marvel and DC have Promethium, but the one with the added X only exists in Spidey: the animation afaik.

Archonic Energy
2011-10-26, 07:52 AM
nVidium from the X series is on there!

Woohoo!
:smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2011-10-26, 09:18 AM
Really? Because I haven't heard of Promethium X anywhere else. Both marvel and DC have Promethium, but the one with the added X only exists in Spidey: the animation afaik.

Read it again, I had to two so about three times until I saw it. :smalltongue:

Spider-Man isn't DC.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-10-26, 10:11 AM
On the other hand, the sheer fact that this was assembled is really cool.

And yet, this is the internet and here are the geeks. So of course we have to pick it apart completely. ;)

drakir_nosslin
2011-10-26, 02:54 PM
Read it again, I had to two so about three times until I saw it. :smalltongue:

Spider-Man isn't DC.

Bah, nitpicking! :smalltongue:

Soras Teva Gee
2011-10-26, 06:08 PM
Bah, nitpicking! :smalltongue:

Nitpicking? Come now its not like were asking them to go 4/4 on who owns Traci 13, Toro, Molecule Man, and Zatara its who frakking makes Spider-Man y'know one of the what top 3 superheroes out there.

Fiery Diamond
2011-10-27, 07:08 PM
Periodic table of fictional elements by people who don't actually understand the periodic table, then.

Most of the things in their table aren't elements, and the ones that are are all in the wrong places.

Also, people with no ears, read the entry for #209 then watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yfXgu37iyI), and realise that there is no mispronunciation going on, just a funny accent and people who have **** hearing.

I had to listen to it several times before I got it. There's a fine line between "just a funny accent" and "mispronunciation." The people who made the table obviously heard his first syllable in "Cobalt-Thorium G" as "the" rather "co," just like I did the first three times I listened to it in a row. That can be attributed to his accent. What I would call a blatant mispronunciation rather than "a funny accent," however, is his pronunciation of "cobalt" as a whole. The word is pronounced "Coh-Bawlt," where the second syllable sounds like the word "ball" with a "t" on the end, not "Kuh-Balt," where the second syllable sounds like "bat" with an "l" added before the "t." That's not just an accent, that's flat wrong.

Eldan
2011-10-28, 02:49 AM
Nitpicking? Come now its not like were asking them to go 4/4 on who owns Traci 13, Toro, Molecule Man, and Zatara its who frakking makes Spider-Man y'know one of the what top 3 superheroes out there.

True, but to be honest, he was pretty much completely unknown around here before the movie came out.

H Birchgrove
2011-10-28, 07:07 AM
True, but to be honest, he was pretty much completely unknown around here before the movie came out.

O rly? :smalltongue:

Here he was the most popular super-hero in the 1980's, and he's today the only one having a comic book. (Unless you count The Phantom.)

Soras Teva Gee
2011-10-28, 08:25 AM

O rly? :smalltongue:

Here he was the most popular super-hero in the 1980's, and he's today the only one having a comic book. (Unless you count The Phantom.)

Seeing both listed locations I can't speak for European countries and it would vary by country considerably. (And comic-book superheroes are a tremendously American thing)

However yeah like I said top 3 superheroes ever, and the ONLY one belonging to Marvel comics. The other two are Superman and Batman. Together they are the only three single characters I'm aware of holding down multiple series starring them for extended periods of time. Though Wolverine is getting close damnitall

Also at perhaps the opposite end of the spectrum... 1978s Japanese Spider-Man (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JapaneseSpider-Man?from=Main.JapaneseSpiderman).

Eldan
2011-10-28, 09:03 AM
As far as I know, Superhero comics never caught on, but cartoons and movies did, quite a bit. I've only ever seen American comic books in specialized sections of some book stores, and even then only perhaps a dozen or so graphic novel collections lying around. People know Batman and Superman because they both had a lot of movies, not from any comics.

The dominant comics here are Disney (the Germans produce tons of those, and at this point probably only loosely connected to anything American) and the Francophone ones (Asterix, Lucky Luke, Tintin was big when I was a kid, not sure about now).