PDA

View Full Version : What 'verse would you most like to live in?

Chess435
2011-10-19, 12:40 AM
If you had the opportunity to live in the universe of a book/video game/movie/campaign setting/whatever, what would you pick and why? What would you pack with you? Once there, what would you do?

Eakin
2011-10-19, 12:43 AM
If you had the opportunity to live in the universe of a book/video game/movie/campaign setting/whatever, what would you pick and why? What would you pack with you? Once there, what would you do?

In before ponies!

Seriously though, the low-magic present day Desden-files style urban fantasy has always appealed to me. "Magical realism," though I think the term itself is a dodge by pretentious people who don't want to associate themselves with genre work by calling their stuff what it really is, namely fantasy.

I should really read Dresden. Are they available for kindle?

You wouldn't need to pack much, but you'd have to be one of the people "in on it" or there wouldn't be much of anything to distinguish it from our current setting, real life

Soras Teva Gee
2011-10-19, 01:27 AM
Celestia Damn it all Eakin I was going to say that! (Also of course the Dresden files are available on Kindle)

Funnily enough I'd probably pick the Federation of Star Trek from sheer practicality. Give me a replicator and a power supply for it and you are set. Its a post-scarcity society without money. Which means I don't have to work, for anything but my own amusement.

Barring utopia's I would take probably take something like Negima's setting. Plenty of magic to suit my fantasyand its even aware of tech so I'd have all the modern convenience too. Once they get it worked out maybe start up a business with the flying fish ships from the Magicus Mundus side. Certainly not like the Dresdenverse where face eating horrors are just lurking in the shadows everywhere and being a wizard means living without such niceties as hot water.

Eldan
2011-10-19, 02:19 AM
Hmm. Interesting. One of the more transhumanism Sci-Fi verses, probably, as I can't offhand recall any really nice Fantasy verses.

Revelation Space, maybe, if I could keep the dates straight and get a ship out of the galaxy before the Melting Plague, the Inhibitors and Greenfly show up.

Axolotl
2011-10-19, 03:30 AM
The Culture would probably be the best of the ones I've seen or read. Or at least as long as I'm a part of the culture itself, everywhere else can get really nasty.

Trazoi
2011-10-19, 03:35 AM
The MySims 'verse. Your town is pretty sweet and full of fun stuff, nothing is dangerous, everyone is rather nice to each other, and you get to dig up cake.

Thanqol
2011-10-19, 04:18 AM
Pon - double ninja'd.

I'll go out on a limb and say The Action Movie universe. Where men can run and fight forever, guns have unlimited ammo, cars and helicopters are made out of thermite, and newspaper headlines aren't talking about global economic collapse because they're busy talking about how the A Team landed a tank safely in a lake after being dropped from a mile up, by firing the main cannon directly down.

And, if it's a nice family friendly action movie, civilian casualties are usually minimal.

Tengu_temp
2011-10-19, 04:45 AM
Probably Pokemon. It's like real life with all of its comforts (including internet access), only there are various interesting creatures running around, you can make money off those creatures and support yourself with little effort, and all the bad guys are so incompetent that a bunch of kids can thwart them. Star Trek's Federation is a great choice too.

Ponies are a bad choice. They don't even have electricity.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-19, 05:16 AM
Ah Pokemon, forced gladiatorial style fighting with semi-sentient creatures, trained by little children.
Also apparently the only source of meat too.
Star Treks Federation on the other hand, even with the problems and issues brought up in DS9, still sounds like a dandy place to live.

factotum
2011-10-19, 06:37 AM
I would rather live in the Star Wars universe than the Star Trek one, simply because we have at least one example in that universe of a guy wandering around (mostly) alone in a small starship (Han Solo). You never really see that sort of thing in Star Trek--virtually all the ships you see appear to be owned by the Federation or alien equivalent!

kamikasei
2011-10-19, 06:58 AM
The Culture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture), the Federation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Federation_of_Planets), or the Glasshouse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasshouse_%28novel%29) 'verse. Maybe Midchilda or the Administrated Worlds (http://nanoha.wikia.com/wiki/Mid-Childa), though we don't have a very clear picture of what life is like for the average citizen. Honourable mentions to Eclipse Phase (http://eclipsephase.com/) (great except for the postapocalypse and rampant existential threats), the Glitter Band during the Belle Epoque in the Revelation Space (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revelation_Space_universe) setting, and Mass Effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect) (depending on just how well or badly everything might work out in the third game).

I would rather live in the Star Wars universe than the Star Trek one, simply because we have at least one example in that universe of a guy wandering around (mostly) alone in a small starship (Han Solo). You never really see that sort of thing in Star Trek--virtually all the ships you see appear to be owned by the Federation or alien equivalent!
Define "owned by the Federation". Of course the ships we see on the show are generally militarily capable and thus operated by governments, but there do exist civilian ships with small crews - even as small as one. Heck, there's even been a clear Han Solo ripoff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outrageous_Okona), though he was a terrible character in a terrible episode.

Selrahc
2011-10-19, 07:04 AM
The Culture would probably be the best of the ones I've seen or read. Or at least as long as I'm a part of the culture itself, everywhere else can get really nasty.

This is the correct answer.

The Culture has god level technology, and is entirely dedicated to making people happy.

Eldan
2011-10-19, 07:05 AM
Yellowstone in the Belle Epoque was basically my idea, yeah.

I think, in general, what I'd try to do would try to get the Demarchists to buy a Conjoiner Ship from the Ultras and re-outfit it. Probably not with a full crew, but with a few thousand people and enough free space to make it as close to self-sufficient as possible.

Then fly out of the galaxy as quickly as possible. And certainly not towards Andromeda, either.

Alternate plan: Get cache weapons, or closest demarchist equivalent, to Ross, blow up Greenfly.

Kindablue
2011-10-19, 08:09 AM
Mayberry, North Carolina. I guess I'm boring.

I'll go out on a limb and say The Action Movie universe. Where men can run and fight forever, guns have unlimited ammo, cars and helicopters are made out of thermite, and newspaper headlines aren't talking about global economic collapse because they're busy talking about how the A Team landed a tank safely in a lake after being dropped from a mile up, by firing the main cannon directly down.

And, if it's a nice family friendly action movie, civilian casualties are usually minimal.

Have you ever seen Last Action Hero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSTVmYyk5ro)?

Thanqol
2011-10-19, 08:21 AM
Have you ever seen Last Action Hero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSTVmYyk5ro)?

Exactly! :smallbiggrin:

Frozen_Feet
2011-10-19, 08:27 AM
Probably Pokemon. It's like real life with all of its comforts (including internet access), only there are various interesting creatures running around, you can make money off those creatures and support yourself with little effort, and all the bad guys are so incompetent that a bunch of kids can thwart them.

Gotta second this. Not that real life has any shortage of bizarre, critters, it's just that they're darn hard to find or catch. I want to combat giant rats with animate fir trees!

Though I have other reasons than just Pokemon to want to be part of that verse - as shown in the games, even humans can achieve psychic powers or pokemon-like strenght. So, conceivably it'd be possible to live every boys' dream and fight some dragons. :smallbiggrin:

Traab
2011-10-19, 08:34 AM
Pokemon world. I would bring with me a full kit of survival gear, plenty of mre's, and a gun with plenty of ammo. Screw you team rocket/magma/trauma. I aint fighting you and your juiced up pokemon. /blam.

drakir_nosslin
2011-10-19, 08:42 AM
No love for the tippy-verse? I'm surprised...

Tengu_temp
2011-10-19, 09:10 AM
No love for the tippy-verse? I'm surprised...

I'm surprised someone actually would like to live in a magocratic dictatorship with mandatory gladiator fights for all citizens. Infinite free food and water ain't worth it.

Tyndmyr
2011-10-19, 09:49 AM

Eberron, please. Tech + Magic = win.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-19, 09:55 AM
Either the Avatar-verse, or Ooo.

Cespenar
2011-10-19, 09:56 AM
FFTA seems to be an idea. You can go and adventure, fight monsters, use magic, etc. without ever risking death, apart from few specific places which you can avoid easily.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-19, 10:07 AM
OH! FMA-verse too. I love that series and the reality. All I gots to do is find a way to cross the Gate.

Chen
2011-10-19, 10:28 AM
Half of the universes posted would be freaking ridiculously deadly to the average person. Odds are any of us here would just be random people not some special super powered person. Looking at it from that point of view, any D&D universe is probably pretty terrible for peasants. Really the Star Trek federation, especially if you lived on Earth would be pretty damn sweet. No scarcity, very safe and secure and the ability to have a holodeck and replicator make for a pretty utopic living.

Selrahc
2011-10-19, 10:57 AM
Half of the universes posted would be freaking ridiculously deadly to the average person. Odds are any of us here would just be random people not some special super powered person. Looking at it from that point of view, any D&D universe is probably pretty terrible for peasants.

Eh. Why be so prescriptivist? This is a question asking about our personal fictional paradises. If people want to live in their adventure setting of choice as an awesome hero then that is a fair enough choice.

Really the Star Trek federation, especially if you lived on Earth would be pretty damn sweet. No scarcity, very safe and secure and the ability to have a holodeck and replicator make for a pretty utopic living.

The Culture totally out-utopia's the Federation. A holodeck and a replicator are barely scratching the iceberg of what the Culture can offer.

drakir_nosslin
2011-10-19, 11:11 AM
I'm surprised someone actually would like to live in a magocratic dictatorship with mandatory gladiator fights for all citizens. Infinite free food and water ain't worth it.

I'd say that depends on if you're the mage or the gladiator...

Tengu_temp
2011-10-19, 11:35 AM
I'd say that depends on if you're the mage or the gladiator...

Well, this is a "you move to another world from this one" thread, so non-caster is more likely than a caster. And certainly not the most powerful wizard who runs the whole business with an iron fist.

Forum Explorer
2011-10-19, 11:39 AM
any human can learn magic if they try hard enough. Or have strong enough faith.

Traab
2011-10-19, 11:40 AM
OH! FMA-verse too. I love that series and the reality. All I gots to do is find a way to cross the Gate.

I dunno, thats one hell of a deadly universe. Lots of wars, battles, crazy alchemists sacrificing innocent people trying to make philosophers stones. On the other hand, apparently being an alchemist isnt some sort of genetic gift right? Its a learnable skill. So at least then you wouldnt be condemmed to living in dragonball world and being obliterated by a random kamahmeha. You could actually pick up the skills needed.

Dr.Epic
2011-10-19, 11:45 AM
Half of the universes posted would be freaking ridiculously deadly to the average person. Odds are any of us here would just be random people not some special super powered person. Looking at it from that point of view, any D&D universe is probably pretty terrible for peasants. Really the Star Trek federation, especially if you lived on Earth would be pretty damn sweet. No scarcity, very safe and secure and the ability to have a holodeck and replicator make for a pretty utopic living.

Never said you had to be a regular guy. It's assumed you'd be where the action is and taking advantage of the unique things in the world for excitement as well as you'd be someone important off affecting the world. Why else would you even ask the question?

Traab
2011-10-19, 12:13 PM
Never said you had to be a regular guy. It's assumed you'd be where the action is and taking advantage of the unique things in the world for excitement as well as you'd be someone important off affecting the world. Why else would you even ask the question?

To make you actually think about the world you are choosing? I mean sure, going to some universe where everyone is piloting giant mechs is neat and all, but what the *^% do you know about piloting mechs? Nothing! Why would anyone even let you try to learn? They wouldnt! Stick with pokemon, much easier to get started, and no special training/abilities required. :p

Grif
2011-10-19, 12:17 PM
I'm partial to the Mass Effect verse actually. New frontiers to explore, reasonable standards of living, hot blue space chicks. :smalltongue:

Utopia is fine and all, but I think it would be more fun if the universe is a little more alive. (Danger notwithstanding.)

Soras Teva Gee
2011-10-19, 12:17 PM
Define "owned by the Federation". Of course the ships we see on the show are generally militarily capable and thus operated by governments, but there do exist civilian ships with small crews - even as small as one. Heck, there's even been a clear Han Solo ripoff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outrageous_Okona), though he was a terrible character in a terrible episode.

Technically wasn't he not part of the Federation though. One almost feels the episode is more of a take that by somebody on the staff.

However while also not the best example the Kobayashi Maru (the ship itself) is a civilian freighter and the whole scenario wouldn't be plausible as a simulation unless it could legitimately happen.

So definitely in existence within the Federation. Probably still rare since however one requisitions one there, owning your own ship is going to be a whole lot of work. It would be a hole in space you'd throw money blood, sweat, and tears into.

Screw that I'll take a cottage with a replicator on one of those nice planets that's all Caribbean beach front please!

Mewtarthio
2011-10-19, 12:18 PM
Well, this is a "you move to another world from this one" thread, so non-caster is more likely than a caster. And certainly not the most powerful wizard who runs the whole business with an iron fist.

Really? I thought it was a "you are randomly reincarnated as an arbitrary person in that world" thread. That's the kind of thread where you always pick utopias.

If we're moving to the world ourselves, that changes things. For one thing, any world where power is determined by skill or heritage is probably a bad choice. Skill because everyone else has had a lot longer to practice, heritage because you aren't related to anyone in that world and therefore possess no bloodlines of note (unless bloodlines are mainly detrimental, of course). I'd say go for something where knowledge determines power; that is, a world where anyone can just grab power, but most do not out of fear or ignorance. Anything like that out there?

Chen
2011-10-19, 12:46 PM
Really? I thought it was a "you are randomly reincarnated as an arbitrary person in that world" thread. That's the kind of thread where you always pick utopias.

The OP does say "what would you pack with you" which made me assume it was us, in our current incarnation, that would just be moving worlds.

I agree any world with in-born powers would be a poor choice. Unless you had particular gifts with regards to an ancient trade, almost any world set in a time before ours would probably be bad. You could bring technology with you, but if it broke or you couldn't make more you'd probably have a pretty hard time surviving.

Chess435
2011-10-19, 12:55 PM
The OP does say "what would you pack with you" which made me assume it was us, in our current incarnation, that would just be moving worlds.

This. You yourself are moving to this place, along with any skills, gear, and canonical knowledge you wish to pack.

Thane of Fife
2011-10-19, 12:57 PM
As far as fantasy verses go, I think that the Forgotten Realms would be a pretty decent place to live. Pack some books, move to Cormyr, set up shop as a sage. That wouldn't be too bad. Sure, there'd be adjusting, but I think I could live with it.

kamikasei
2011-10-19, 01:01 PM
I've been assuming the premise is that we, ourselves, as we are, somehow travel to the setting, and have no special advantage once we're there. Hence, utopias. (In general, being one of the well-off minority in a crappy setting doesn't strike me as all that great, anyway, unless my goal is to change things.) And in fact all of my choices are partly influenced by a desire not to have to bring anything with me - they all have full or partial access to whatever we have on modern day Earth, except for gaps in the historical record in Eclipse Phase, Glasshouse, or Revelation Space. I guess I'd bring some personal belongings of sentimental value, but not much.

Technically wasn't he not part of the Federation though...
However while also not the best example the Kobayashi Maru (the ship itself) is a civilian freighter and the whole scenario wouldn't be plausible as a simulation unless it could legitimately happen.

So definitely in existence within the Federation.
Yeah, Okona wasn't a Federation citizen, but Kasidy Yates in DS9 was (or appeared to be). Her ship wasn't a one-person affair, but the combination shows that Federation citizens can privately operate ships and ships for one are available. It'd take some cross-checking, but I'm sure you could turn up other examples of people said to have traveled on their own on private transport of some sort.

TheEmerged
2011-10-19, 01:18 PM
Maybe it's a sign I'm getting older but...

Winnie the Pooh.

I've had my fair share of adventures, I think.

Tengu_temp
2011-10-19, 01:36 PM
any human can learn magic if they try hard enough. Or have strong enough faith.

And, unless you have an in-born gift for magic, it takes years of intense studies. Any human can learn nuclear physics or brain surgery too if they try hard enough. And even when you finally do learn magic, you're still just a low-rank member of a hierarchy where only the guy on the top really matters. And that will never be you.

Also, any world where the main appeal is adventure is a trap. Adventures look glamorous on paper, in reality they consist mainly of boring travel from place A to place B and/or crapping your pants in fear as you fight for your life. Bonus points if you have to spend ages slowly practicing skills necessary to be an adventurer first.

So yeah, comfort > adventure. And the Pokemon world has the benefit of providing both, with the good point of the adventures being fairly safe and requiring little to no additional skills for you to learn. And when you get bored of catching pokemans, you can just return to browsing the internet.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-10-19, 01:43 PM
Yeah, Okona wasn't a Federation citizen, but Kasidy Yates in DS9 was (or appeared to be). Her ship wasn't a one-person affair, but the combination shows that Federation citizens can privately operate ships and ships for one are available. It'd take some cross-checking, but I'm sure you could turn up other examples of people said to have traveled on their own on private transport of some sort.

The real question would be how to acquire one.

Meritocracy? If you complete the requirements to have the requisite license you then petition for one from whoever manufactures them? Put it together yourself with a big replicator?

kamikasei
2011-10-19, 02:10 PM
Now you're asking how economics works in Star Trek. Get off that road now before you start resembling your avatar a little too closely.

Mewtarthio
2011-10-19, 02:38 PM
So yeah, comfort > adventure. And the Pokemon world has the benefit of providing both, with the good point of the adventures being fairly safe and requiring little to no additional skills for you to learn. And when you get bored of catching pokemans, you can just return to browsing the internet.

Pokemon's a bit of trap, too. You do pretty well in the games, but that's only because you get an ultra-rare starter Pokemon for free. How do you intend to become a trainer on your own? I'm assuming, of course, that you do want to be a trainer, because that's the only way the world is worth anything. Most of the routes require HMs and their requisite badges before you can even think of traversing them, to say nothing of the hyper-aggressive wild Pokemon hounding your every step.

So, let's say you want to be a trainer. I don't think we're allowed to put starter Pokemon onto our loadout, nor can we assume that a wealthy Pokemon researcher will take us on as his protege. We do know that gold is a precious metal in the Pokeverse, so we can at least transfer some funds over to get us started. What then? Buy some Pokeballs, then chuck them at a full-HP oversized rat and hope you catch it before it tears your jugular out?

Even if you settle down somewhere, the Pokeverse is still a pretty scary place to live. The Pokedex is full of monsters that could seriously ruin your day, like Gyarados, who destroys entire cities when upset, or Haunter, who floats through walls and will kill you just because you're alive. Restricting ourselves to things that canonically have happened (rather than disasters that could happen), we've got disgruntled legendaries wreaking havoc, natural (and unnatural) disasters destroying entire cities, Ghost Pokemon possessing people, and organized crime syndicates so well-armed they qualify as paramilitary organizations.

mootoall
2011-10-19, 02:47 PM
Honestly? Mario-verse.

Frozen_Feet
2011-10-19, 03:02 PM
This. You yourself are moving to this place, along with any skills, gear, and canonical knowledge you wish to pack.

Another reason why Pokemon is a good pick. If you've played the games and have ever had a pet, you have all the skills needed to get right into action.

As for natural disasters and needing one expensive thing or another to move from place to place: so? Both hold true already in our world. The difference is, in this world getting a private jet is damn hard, while in Pokeworld it's a matter of taming any of the common birds that come to your garden to eat seeds.

The games also answer how you can get your first pokemon as an adult no trouble: you buy one, just like any other pet.

Besides, being a trainer is most certainly not the only way to enjoy pokeworld. Just the existence of such creatures would improve life for lot of us, such as by giving access to cheap and abundant electricity, heating and fresh water to areas currently lacking them. Free pet health care, teleportation technology and digital storage of physical items are nothing to sneer at, either.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-19, 03:20 PM
It is still a <expletive redacted/> place.
Pokemon are obviously sentient, if lacking in the language skills department. At least one Pokemon (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Meowth_%28Team_Rocket%29) learned human language on their own, showing initiative and drive that I would put above not a few humans.
Yet, other creatures besides Pokemon, show up rarely if at all, yet the characters, antagonist and protagonist alike have been shown eating meat.
This leaves only one conclusion, Soylent Green is People Pokemon.
And you guys want to live there?

MammonAzrael
2011-10-19, 03:32 PM
Pokemon are obviously sentient, if lacking in the language skills department. At least one Pokemon (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Meowth_%28Team_Rocket%29) learned human language on their own, showing initiative and drive that I would put above not a few humans.
Yet, other creatures besides Pokemon, show up rarely if at all, yet the characters, antagonist and protagonist alike have been shown eating meat.

Tauros probably taste delicious. Why do you think Ash caught so many of then? :smallamused:

At this point, I'm going to have to go with Star Trek as well. All the comfort I could want, secure in knowing it's an optimistic utopia. Also, if I want to play pokemon, I've got a holodeck! :smallbiggrin:

gooddragon1
2011-10-19, 03:37 PM
WH40k verse as this guy:
http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=39007

I'd res the emperor and ask him if he actually hates xeno's. If he doesn't I'd help him out. If he does I'd just leave him to his own designs.

Don't need to pack anything... reality revision can function like wish but without the drawbacks (as much XP as I'm willing to spend).

Frozen_Feet
2011-10-19, 03:49 PM

I consider elks and deer sentient (and a lot of other species), yet I hunt and eat them regardless. We could probably talk a long time about animal rights here, but long story short, I already consider myself to live in a world full of meaningful beings other than humans. I see nothing wrong with using them for sustenance or utily, as long as it's done with modicum of respect. There is such thing as ethical hunting.

If anything, my conscience would be better in pokeworld, since my prey could put up much more of a fight, making it a much fairer deal. Indeed, I make the claim that Pokemon hold as much power in their relationship with humans, making their bond symbiotic in nature. Yes, it's the kind of symbiosis where someone will get messily devoured every once in a while, but nature's kind like that. :smalltongue:

Lot of Pokemon are omni- or carnivorous themselves, I'm sure they'll understand. :smallcool:

Weezer
2011-10-19, 03:54 PM
I'd say there are 3 different places I would choose, depending on how I was feeling at the time of the choice, the three classifications are adventure, fantasy utopia and sci-fi utopia.

Adventure:
Heinlein's Tunnel in the Sky universe. Infinite frontiers, combined with futuristic technology would satisfy the deep restlessness I feel with the complacency of modern life.

Fantasy Utopia:
The Land, as found in Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, probably in a woodhelven. Preferably 40+ years before the events of the first book. It would be so relaxing, the pervasive low level magic easing everything, the and the sense of community would be so comforting. And studying in the Loresaraat would satisfy my need for intellectual stimulation. All in all it would be a great way to spend the rest of my life.

Sci-fi utopia:
Same as many have mentioned, the Culture. Genetic modifications, AI taking care of my every need, simulations that would put holodecks to shame, all on top of a post scarcity society.

H Birchgrove
2011-10-19, 03:55 PM
Adam West's Batman Universe. The Riddler is the most dangerous criminal? Nuclear power is about to be used for cars? It's the Swinging Sixties (with little of the bad stuff)? I'm in.

Hergé Universe. Aside for a few exceptions, only bad guys die. Though a bit chaste for my current taste.

Star Trek Universe. Without a red shirt, please. Though I would be stupid enough to try date a Klingon woman, so maybe I'd end up dead anyway.

Order of the Stick Universe (assuming I and the other inhabitants won't be stick figures). Will try to find a Cleric for friend or at least companion.

Radar
2011-10-19, 04:00 PM
There are many interesting worlds to choose from, but I think, that Discworld could be a good place to settle. Sure, the technological level is still somewhat below ours, but with a bundle of science books and any sort of formal education I might have a chance to join the Unseen University, which among other things would give me good food - a healthy dose of gold would help too. Additionaly, if I manage to master the L-space, I could visit a whole lot of other universes without any problems (unles the plot would prohibit me from doing it). It is also the only world, where Death is so considerate and everyone has to face him at some point. I would only have to make sure, I don't trip over some plot-hook and get sucked into an adventure or two.

Aotrs Commander
2011-10-19, 04:03 PM

Actually, there are a few occasions where animals are seen; the first time you see Misty's gym in the anime, there are non-Pokemon fish in a tank. The existance of actual cows (as opposed to Miltank and Tauros etc) is at least very probable (that dreadful "cowterpie joke", in episode, what three or four). Further suggestions is the Miltank milk is not the standard (as it is specifically called out as "moomoo milk") would seem to imply that some other milk is the standard. And logically, a lot of the Pokemon known as the "[animal name x] Pokemon" would require there to be an animal which to be named after in the first place.

I won't swear blind to it, but I think that eggs - as in non-Pokemon eggs - are existant (and I also have a vague feeling they may have appeared on-screen as baking ingredients or something). Their existance is sort of implied, on the basis of the fact - like with Equestrian Ponies - you literally can't make an omelette (or cake, more likely!) without eggs; given that human-consumable Pokemon eggs are specifically called out as such, there must be non-Pokemon producing the ones used for that general purpose.

It's rather like (vehicle-transitable) roads and heavy industry - 99.9% of the time you don't see them, but it's there, just mostly off-screen.

But, rather like Star Trek (and Equestria for that matter - or heck, Naruto, when you come down to it) the socio-economic (and dietary, in all but the former) structure is rather vague at best, and open for a lot of interpretation.

DiscipleofBob
2011-10-19, 04:13 PM
I've got to agree with both Pokemon and Star Trek universes, provided you do NOT get a job on a ship in Star Trek, or at least avoid anything named Enterprise. Even the diplomatic and science ships get into trouble a lot.

With Pokemon, there are enough breeders and professors literally giving away Pokemon for free that obtaining your first Pokemon shouldn't be a problem. Free health care is another plus, even if we're only certain it extends to the Pokemon in question.

But avoid the Pokemon anime-verse or the manga-verse. Stick to the games.

A little more of a risk, but you could probably carve a comfortable living of piracy in the One Piece world, especially if you stayed out of the second-most-dangerous-place-in-the-world, the Grand Line, and the first most dangerous, other people's flashbacks. Sure, you'd have to put in some sweat and training to get decently in shape, and ideally you'd want to try and get your hands on a Devil Fruit. Any particular fruit would do, as even the most ridiculous of fruits are viable with enough creativity.

Fairy Tail could work provided I could be one of the people who can actually use magic, and even then I'll stick to the lower-paying easy jobs and away from the demons-slaying, dark guild-destroying, world-saving stuff.

Kindablue
2011-10-19, 04:55 PM
Adam West's Batman Universe. The Riddler is the most dangerous criminal? Nuclear power is about to be used for cars? It's the Swinging Sixties (with little of the bad stuff)? I'm in.

The major benefit of living in that universe is that everyone's an idiot and completely incompetent at whatever their station in life is, excluding the crazy people who run around in Halloween costumes punching each other in the face, and Alfred. As long as you didn't want to be any of them, you could do whatever you wanted to do and rest assured that you'd be the best at it. Unless you're an incompetent idiot, I guess.

Also you could meet the Addams Family.

Tengu_temp
2011-10-19, 05:50 PM
On Pokemon: I'm well aware that that place has its own bad things like some aggressive pokemans and paramilitary organizations. But it doesn't seem to be worse than real world in that department!
I probably wouldn't be a dedicated trainer. I'd just catch some pokemans for the novelty value, then return to my ordinary life and treat them as pets. Bonus points if I manage to get some useful ones, like something with flying or teleport, or Joltik, because that little guy is just way too cute.

WH40k verse as this guy:
http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=39007

Er, is this a fandom joke I'm not getting? Because you don't get to say "I'm joining this as a super-overpowered character". You're entering that world as you, the way you are right now + whatever you prepared for the journey. Have fun being a puny civilian in the GRIM WORLD OF GRIMDARK GRR.

Terraoblivion
2011-10-19, 05:53 PM
Gotta go the unsurprising route here and say Gensokyo. Everybody basically just lazes around and does what they feel like, while any real conflict is settled by what is essentially non-harmful, competitive fireworks displays. It's also full of interesting, quirky individuals and at least some places have modern conveniences. I'd probably have to find a way to become a youkai, though. I wonder if Byakuren would teach me magic if I asked, if not I guess I'd need to get Yukari or Ran to accept me as a shikigami. The latter would definitely result in access to whatever modern conveniences I feel like, too.

I'd fit right in. I'm female, incredibly gay, a rather big nerd and inclined to sarcasm. I even have my own silly hat to bring along, though I suppose it would make everyone mistake me for a Russian.

Mercenary Pen
2011-10-19, 06:10 PM
Pokemon world. I would bring with me a full kit of survival gear, plenty of mre's, and a gun with plenty of ammo. Screw you team rocket/magma/trauma. I aint fighting you and your juiced up pokemon. /blam.

Are you trying to shoot team rocket/[insertevilteamhere] or their pokemon? Because there are plenty of pokemon where unlimited ammo wouldn't mean a thing... Ghost-types for example.

Tempting as poke-verse might be, at the moment I'm more tempted by the Honorverse... I'm too cynical for utopian perfection, but I'll take something a sight better than what we currently have.

Traab
2011-10-19, 06:52 PM
Are you trying to shoot team rocket/[insertevilteamhere] or their pokemon? Because there are plenty of pokemon where unlimited ammo wouldn't mean a thing... Ghost-types for example.

Tempting as poke-verse might be, at the moment I'm more tempted by the Honorverse... I'm too cynical for utopian perfection, but I'll take something a sight better than what we currently have.

Kill one evil trainer=stop 6 strong pokemon. Way more cost effective to shoot the team rocket member. Someone asked how we catch the pokemon to start? If there isnt a program that gets trainers started, bring a tranq gun with you. POW! Dart that pidgey and trap it. There, pokemon number 1 is now in your arsenal. Hell, depending on where you show up to start, you could get a really nice pokemon. It may not be a bulbasaur, (that thing was god in the first pokemon games) but it can still be good.

DiscipleofBob
2011-10-19, 07:04 PM
Kill one evil trainer=stop 6 strong pokemon. Way more cost effective to shoot the team rocket member. Someone asked how we catch the pokemon to start? If there isnt a program that gets trainers started, bring a tranq gun with you. POW! Dart that pidgey and trap it. There, pokemon number 1 is now in your arsenal. Hell, depending on where you show up to start, you could get a really nice pokemon. It may not be a bulbasaur, (that thing was god in the first pokemon games) but it can still be good.

Introducing the concept of firearms as the more effective weapon to otherwise inept terrorist groups just seems like the horrible consequences of what was at first a good idea.

Trazoi
2011-10-19, 07:13 PM
I dunno. To me, bringing a gun to a Pokemon fight would break the entire concept of the universe. Apart from turning everyone against you, the Pokemon universe would probably retaliate itself by making stuff like a Flamethrower attack actually act against you like it would in real life, in which case you're pretty screwed.

Besides which, why are you picking gun fights in your ideal universe? :smallconfused:

Tengu_temp
2011-10-19, 07:19 PM
I thought that when you enter the world of Pokemon all your guns transform into cell phones or extended fingers?

Traab
2011-10-19, 07:38 PM
I dunno. To me, bringing a gun to a Pokemon fight would break the entire concept of the universe. Apart from turning everyone against you, the Pokemon universe would probably retaliate itself by making stuff like a Flamethrower attack actually act against you like it would in real life, in which case you're pretty screwed.

Besides which, why are you picking gun fights in your ideal universe? :smallconfused:

Meh, its the one id choose, doesnt mean its perfect. And id rather not bank on getting the two stupidest and weakest members of the criminal group de jour after me. Its also not like id start randomly gunning down rockets in the middle of main street, but what happens in viridian forest, stays in viridian forest. Its one thing to have a pokemon duel with other trainers, its something else entirely to be facing bad guys who want to steal my pokemon, and may or may not be willing to leave witnesses. Treat them like any other mugger who attacks you with a lethal weapon. Thats assuming id even MEET any of the thugs. I dont intend to collect rare one of a kind pokemon that are way stronger than they should be, like ash did. Ill be happy with standard pokemon.

Prime32
2011-10-19, 07:40 PM
Actually, there are a few occasions where animals are seen; the first time you see Misty's gym in the anime, there are non-Pokemon fish in a tank. The existance of actual cows (as opposed to Miltank and Tauros etc) is at least very probable (that dreadful "cowterpie joke", in episode, what three or four). Further suggestions is the Miltank milk is not the standard (as it is specifically called out as "moomoo milk") would seem to imply that some other milk is the standard. And logically, a lot of the Pokemon known as the "[animal name x] Pokemon" would require there to be an animal which to be named after in the first place.

I won't swear blind to it, but I think that eggs - as in non-Pokemon eggs - are existant (and I also have a vague feeling they may have appeared on-screen as baking ingredients or something). Their existance is sort of implied, on the basis of the fact - like with Equestrian Ponies - you literally can't make an omelette (or cake, more likely!) without eggs; given that human-consumable Pokemon eggs are specifically called out as such, there must be non-Pokemon producing the ones used for that general purpose.

It's rather like (vehicle-transitable) roads and heavy industry - 99.9% of the time you don't see them, but it's there, just mostly off-screen.

But, rather like Star Trek (and Equestria for that matter - or heck, Naruto, when you come down to it) the socio-economic (and dietary, in all but the former) structure is rather vague at best, and open for a lot of interpretation.A lot of the anime stuff was produced while details of the setting were still vague, and was contradicted/retconned by later games. I assumed that "Moomoo Milk" was a particular brand or ranch. Eggs are probably an oversight.

Gotta go the unsurprising route here and say Gensokyo. Everybody basically just lazes around and does what they feel like, while any real conflict is settled by what is essentially non-harmful, competitive fireworks displays. It's also full of interesting, quirky individuals and at least some places have modern conveniences. I'd probably have to find a way to become a youkai, though. I wonder if Byakuren would teach me magic if I asked, if not I guess I'd need to get Yukari or Ran to accept me as a shikigami. The latter would definitely result in access to whatever modern conveniences I feel like, too.

I'd fit right in. I'm female, incredibly gay, a rather big nerd and inclined to sarcasm. I even have my own silly hat to bring along, though I suppose it would make everyone mistake me for a Russian.You'd get to be Chen's shikigami, if you were lucky. :smalltongue: Becoming a youkai magician appears to be very difficult and you may die of mercury poisoning before you succeed (or become feeble even if you do succeed). Convincing a vampire to turn you would be tricky, since all the vampires in Gensokyo are childish and/or crazy. Your best bet is probably making a deal with the Devil, and by the Devil I mean Kanako, since all her plots backfire. Now good luck climbing Youkai Mountain.
Modern conveniences in Gensokyo are still hard to come by, and even if you somehow convinced Yukari to give you power then she'd probably restrict how much you can bring across to avoid damaging the border.

Oh, and technically we don't know if anyone in Gensokyo is actually gay. Kaguya, the Watatsukis and Seiga are confirmed to have been in relationships with men at least.

Areswargod139
2011-10-19, 07:47 PM
To me a fictional universe would either be a lot of fun or hell based on whether or not I was one of the elite in one of those universes. For instance:

Star Trek: Its great to be a Federation officer, but what about the rest of the universe? What if you were one of the Klingon's slaves? Or worse yet, a redshirt aboard a Federation Flagship--which I'm convinced such a designation must be in fact a punishment from the military brass in the universe, "Yeah, go wander around the most dangerous and mysterious parts of space and run into godlings and mystery diseases every other week". Aaaah!

Pokemon: What if you are a member of the other 99% of the population who don't have Pokemon professors backing you up and giving you fancy starters? What if you started at Pewter City or Veridian Forest? "My starter is caterpie! Wait, I lose half my money when I lose?" Looks like little Timmy the trainer is going to be destitute in the woods! Bye Timmy!

The less said about the DC and Marvel universe the better! The Marvels series was done centering around what it was like to live in the Marvel U during the Silver age from the perspective of a regular photographer. It's a great story but it really brought out just how much of a terrifying hell a superhero universe would be.

Trazoi
2011-10-19, 07:49 PM
I thought that when you enter the world of Pokemon all your guns transform into cell phones or extended fingers?
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/2039/pokemongun.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/pokemongun.jpg/)

Nope.

Areswargod139
2011-10-19, 07:56 PM
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/2039/pokemongun.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/pokemongun.jpg/)

Nope.

Caption: Give me my teeth. Now.

Tengu_temp
2011-10-19, 08:04 PM
Star Trek: Its great to be a Federation officer, but what about the rest of the universe?

Who said anything about officers? Most people who mentioned Star Trek wanted just to be ordinary Federation citizens.

Pokemon: What if you are a member of the other 99% of the population who don't have Pokemon professors backing you up and giving you fancy starters?

Either use your metagaming knowledge to overcome the disadvantage, or just live a normal life without engaging in Pokemon fights.

Nope.

Hey, that's spoilers for the last episode!

tensai_oni
2011-10-19, 08:07 PM
Star Trek is a post-scarcity society. As long as you stay away from starships and red uniforms you can live a safe and comfortable life.

Traab
2011-10-19, 08:12 PM
Pokemon: What if you are a member of the other 99% of the population who don't have Pokemon professors backing you up and giving you fancy starters? What if you started at Pewter City or Veridian Forest? "My starter is caterpie! Wait, I lose half my money when I lose?" Looks like little Timmy the trainer is going to be destitute in the woods! Bye Timmy!

Bring. A. Tranq. Gun. Who cares what your starter pokemon is when you can tranq 75% of the worlds pokemon if you have enough? Like I said, nail a pidgey, or a bellsprout and bango. You got a decent pokemon to start with. Save extra tranq ammo for when you spot those rare pokemon, or one too powerful for you to beat with what you have. Cant use it in official battles, but out in the wild? Why not?

Istari
2011-10-19, 08:16 PM
Bring. A. Tranq. Gun. Who cares what your starter pokemon is when you can tranq 75% of the worlds pokemon if you have enough? Like I said, nail a pidgey, or a bellsprout and bango. You got a decent pokemon to start with. Save extra tranq ammo for when you spot those rare pokemon, or one too powerful for you to beat with what you have. Cant use it in official battles, but out in the wild? Why not?

Worst case, don't keep any money on you and use metagame knowledge to actually be an effective trainer.

Traab
2011-10-19, 08:36 PM
Drugs! (http://www.vgcats.com/super/?strip_id=47) Read that and the next one. :p

Soras Teva Gee
2011-10-19, 09:05 PM
Star Trek: Its great to be a Federation officer, but what about the rest of the universe? What if you were one of the Klingon's slaves? Or worse yet, a redshirt aboard a Federation Flagship--which I'm convinced such a designation must be in fact a punishment from the military brass in the universe, "Yeah, go wander around the most dangerous and mysterious parts of space and run into godlings and mystery diseases every other week". Aaaah!

No, no, no, you want to be a planetside Federation citizen. Being in Starfleet is practically a death sentence compared to just living on Earth. Or better yet one of those planets you hear mentioned like Rigel whatever where people go on vacation.

Its a post-scarcity society, that's the appeal. And it is because they consistently insist they don't have money in the Federation and have replicators for all common needs. Which means you can have better then your modern standard of living without needing gainful employment.

Areswargod139
2011-10-19, 09:43 PM
Who said anything about officers? Most people who mentioned Star Trek wanted just to be ordinary Federation citizens.
I mentioned it. Didn't ya hear me?:smallwink: I was making a rhetorical point that most fictional universes are terrifying hellholes.

Either use your metagaming knowledge to overcome the disadvantage, or just live a normal life without engaging in Pokemon fights.
You're allowed to keep your metagame knowledge in this thought experiment? So its like you step into a portal from another universe? I had imagined more of a "if you could be born in a fictional universe which would you choose?".

No, no, no, you want to be a planetside Federation citizen. Being in Starfleet is practically a death sentence compared to just living on Earth. Or better yet one of those planets you hear mentioned like Rigel whatever where people go on vacation.
Earth has been attacked by the Borg and by the Dominion. Earth's future hangs on the whims of Q's Travellor's and other alien godlings and how Starfleet Captains behave towards them. Riza has been the subject of terrorist attacks, and is one technological breakdown away from being a swamp planet. Being an average joe in that universe would be a horrifying state of constant uncertainty where elites decide the fate of many. Democratic government? As if! Captains are laws unto themselves! It's a de facto military dictatorship.

Its a post-scarcity society, that's the appeal. And it is because they consistently insist they don't have money in the Federation and have replicators for all common needs. Which means you can have better then your modern standard of living without needing gainful employment.
Built on the slave labor of EMH units that will eventually rebel. The Star Trek U is one hiccup away from collapsing on itself. Heck, one star collapsing near the Romulan home worlds was a threat to the "entire galaxy". Holy Crap! :smalleek:

Because of the Pokemon Association. (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokemon_Association) Start tranqing pokemon in the wild. Start dynamiting fishing spots. Then the pokemon rangers come, with there styluses and pokemon slaves. Armed with the forces of the natural world you are at the mercy of unstable teenagers who think being knocked several stories into the air is a survivable experience!
See, there's no series of independent guilds or unions of trainers. There's one group that handles everything and makes all the rules. The Pokemon Association.
See, those psychotic Rangers are the least of your worries. The Pokemon Association revokes your license for not doing it the "right way". Now your forced to make your way in an economy that relies on being able to handle pokemon without the legal ability to do so. Where do you turn? You join one of the crime teams of course! Just so yet another psychotic child can show up with six pokemon to your (inexplicable) two or three and mops the floor with you.

Again, we see a totalitarian form of government.. which somehow still comes off as a dystopian anarchy!:smalleek:

Traab
2011-10-19, 09:55 PM
Hmph, I dont recall seeing any rules about tranquilizing wild pokemon. Oh sure its against the rules in an official battle, but on your own, in the middle of the woods, I really dont fear getting my license revoked. Of course, I wouldnt be bragging about it either. Keep my head down, stay under the radar, win enough battles to pay my bills, and wander till I feel like retiring.

Lord Raziere
2011-10-19, 09:57 PM
This is going to sound completely insane:

Exalted.

You may all run away from me now and call the insanity asylum.

Chess435
2011-10-19, 10:18 PM
This is going to sound completely insane:

Exalted.

You may all run away from me now and call the insanity asylum.

Not until we hear your reasoning. :smallwink:

Curious
2011-10-19, 10:27 PM
The thing is, most universes can range from fantastically terrifical to absolutely soul-crushingly horrific, depending on where on the power pyramid you are.

For instance:
Warhammer 40k.
As a Chaos god.

Mewtarthio
2011-10-19, 10:36 PM

Brings up an interesting question, though: What happens to a Pokemon when the trainer dies suddenly mid-battle? Say you gun down that ROCKET GRUNT. That's all well and good, but is his Koffing going to leave you alone, or choke you with poison gas before exploding in your face?

Re: Tranqs: Decent plan, but I doubt Earth tranquilizers will do much of anything to high-level Pokemon. At best, you'd inflict the poison status effect on them, which still gives them eight rounds to exact vengeance on you. Besides, even if tranqs did work, you can't catch a fainted Pokemon! :smalltongue:

Actually, now that I think about it, the best strategy may be to bring as much gold as you can carry, pawn it off at the PokeMart, then hit the Safari Zone. You don't need level-appropriate Pokemon in the Safari Zone.

gooddragon1
2011-10-19, 11:01 PM
Er, is this a fandom joke I'm not getting? Because you don't get to say "I'm joining this as a super-overpowered character". You're entering that world as you, the way you are right now + whatever you prepared for the journey. Have fun being a puny civilian in the GRIM WORLD OF GRIMDARK GRR.

And there you have it.

Soras Teva Gee
2011-10-19, 11:33 PM
Earth has been attacked by the Borg and by the Dominion. Earth's future hangs on the whims of Q's Travellor's and other alien godlings and how Starfleet Captains behave towards them. Riza has been the subject of terrorist attacks, and is one technological breakdown away from being a swamp planet. Being an average joe in that universe would be a horrifying state of constant uncertainty where elites decide the fate of many. Democratic government? As if! Captains are laws unto themselves! It's a de facto military dictatorship.

Yeah the Breen in the Dominion got through, but they hardly effected much beyond San Fransisco. The Borg never actually threatened Earth. Sure they were close but they were stopped. All threats to the Federation are consistently stopped. And of all the godlings only Q to my knowledge has even arguably done anything to Earth (TNG finale) and its rather obvious he's just a trickster mentor. These threats consistently fail to materialize. Only the Dominion War has seriously threatened the Federation, and they were still beaten.

And by simple logic there are thousands of other M class planets to choose from to live on.

Built on the slave labor of EMH units that will eventually rebel. The Star Trek U is one hiccup away from collapsing on itself. Heck, one star collapsing near the Romulan home worlds was a threat to the "entire galaxy". Holy Crap! :smalleek:

EMHs having been around... what under a decade? Yeah really the basis of society right there.

And of course the destuction of the home planet of a major power is going to threaten the galaxy. Its Star Trek though, it runs on the idea that on balance the future is going to be better. All problems therefore get resolved.

Or at the least its base level of utopia is a lot better then a vast number of choices. Again, replicators and post scarcity means no working except as you choose.

Frozen_Feet
2011-10-20, 02:48 AM
Re: Tranqs: Decent plan, but I doubt Earth tranquilizers will do much of anything to high-level Pokemon.

You don't need to even try them on high-levels. You only need one, low-level creature to get started, and can progress from there the ordinary way. It doesn't need to be Charmander or anything like it either; efective pokemon are everywhere. Rattatas, Sentrets, Taillows, Pidgey, Caterpies, Weedles, all perfectly usable. Even if you get just a Magikarp, you can take it to daycare and wait untill it learns tackle.

Not that you particularly need tranguilizers for this. As noted, Pokemon are sold. Get a damn job and buy yourself one. Or just ask one of the more lenient breeders to give you one - it's not like that doesn't happen in the games.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-20, 02:51 AM
Pokemon. This is non-negotiable. :smallwink:

Selrahc
2011-10-20, 03:59 AM
People who assume "If we aren't explicitly told about it, the absolute worst interpretation must be true" are not really getting into the spirit of the thing.

The drive to portray the Federation and the Pokemon world as barely habitable hells are just contrarianism.

And there you have it.

It's kind of silly to take the question of "What 'verse would you most like to live in?" and append the qualifier "if you were more powerful than a god".

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-20, 04:04 AM
The drive to portray the Federation and the Pokemon world as barely habitable hells are just contrarianism.

True enough, but a little GrimDark never hurt anybody. No. Waitaminute...

kamikasei
2011-10-20, 04:09 AM
And there you have it.
Dr. Epic didn't set the terms of the scenario, the OP did. They specify that you're yourself, transported to this other world somehow. You don't get to be someone else with a massive built-in advantage.

And of course the destuction of the home planet of a major power is going to threaten the galaxy.
Eh. In fairness to Areswargod139, the movie (and tie-in comics) way oversold that. It wasn't just that Romulus' star blew up and that was bad because of politics. They treknobabbled up a magic supernova chain-reaction that was literally going to blow up the entire galaxy. Risk assessments become difficult when the laws of physics are being rewritten on the whim of writers who think that's a sensible threat to introduce.

I think it's fair to assume the Federation is a pretty nice place to live, as it's said to be. The question of whether you're likely to end up in the Federation rather than a pre-contact civilization, a totalitarian hostile power, a Borg hive, the depths of interstellar space or a random point in the Coma Cluster is trickier. I'd say a specification that you come out somewhere "normal" (as close to modern-day Earth, or to whatever's considered "average" for the people we see in the setting's fiction) but are still yourself would make sense.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-20, 04:18 AM
The hardest part about living on a typical, developed planet in the Federation just joining in from modern society is dealing with addiction. Replicators, holodecks, it would be very easy to just become a complacent tub of lard who does nothing but live on the holodeck.

Selrahc
2011-10-20, 04:27 AM
The question of whether you're likely to end up in the Federation rather than a pre-contact civilization, a totalitarian hostile power, a Borg hive, the depths of interstellar space or a random point in the Coma Cluster is trickier. I'd say a specification that you come out somewhere "normal" (as close to modern-day Earth, or to whatever's considered "average" for the people we see in the setting's fiction) but are still yourself would make sense.

That shouldn't be a question at all. If somebody says they would like to live in the federation, let them arrive in the federation!

You might as well say "Well, it doesn't really matter what fictional universe you pick. Odds are you'll appear somewhere in the vacuum of space and die within seconds. Not much chance of landing on an inhabitable planet amongst the vast galaxies of stars after all."

Eldan
2011-10-20, 04:34 AM
It would, however, be hilarious if you all landed on the Pokeworld's equivalent of Mars :smalltongue:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-20, 04:36 AM
It would, however, be hilarious if you all landed on the Pokeworld's equivalent of Mars :smalltongue:

Why?

You would be surrounded by Deoxys. :smalltongue:

kamikasei
2011-10-20, 04:54 AM
That shouldn't be a question at all. If somebody says they would like to live in the federation, let them arrive in the federation!

You might as well say "Well, it doesn't really matter what fictional universe you pick. Odds are you'll appear somewhere in the vacuum of space and die within seconds. Not much chance of landing on an inhabitable planet amongst the vast galaxies of stars after all."
The parts about appearing in space were deliberately absurd, but if someone can say "I want to be in the best part of the setting" when it comes to being a citizen of the Federation rather than a Kazon slave then why can't they say they get to be comfortably-well off on the pleasantest and least-threatened world within the Imperium, or an honored guest of the Tau, rather than immediately being tortured to death over the course of a very painful year on a Chaos world?

Is "the Star Trek universe" a setting, or is "the Federation"? Is "the entire Federation, including e.g. a Cardassian DMZ colony about to be cut loose" a setting, or is "UFP Earth"? If we have a setting where some people are better off than others, or some places nicer than others, how do we work out the odds of ending up in one situation or another?

Cespenar
2011-10-20, 04:59 AM
For the "unlucky 99%" rebuttal to Pokemon, you're forgetting that it's completely possible to get a pokemon without already having one.

Power of Friendship. :smalltongue:

Selrahc
2011-10-20, 05:06 AM
The parts about appearing in space were deliberately absurd, but if someone can say "I want to be in the best part of the setting" when it comes to being a citizen of the Federation rather than a Kazon slave then why can't they say they get to be comfortably-well off on the pleasantest and least-threatened world within the Imperium, or an honored guest of the Tau, rather than immediately being tortured to death over the course of a very painful year on a Chaos world?

They absolutely can chose to be on the most pleasant part of the Imperium or a guest of the Tau if they want. I've never argued anything different.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-20, 05:33 AM
Power of Friendship. :smalltongue:

*AtlanteanTroll is confused*
*AtlanteanTroll hurt itself in confusion*

You mean the Power of One (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzcKjt_TEhI)?

:smalltongue:

kamikasei
2011-10-20, 05:34 AM
They absolutely can chose to be on the most pleasant part of the Imperium or a guest of the Tau if they want. I've never argued anything different.
Okay. I disagree. I think "the 40k verse, because there are some nice parts and I choose to land there" is a silly answer. I think "Star Trek" isn't. I suspect more than one other respondent would agree. I'm thinking out loud about how to pin down the distinction.

If you don't think there is a distinction, feel free to ignore me. I'm not making an argument directed specifically at you.

Coidzor
2011-10-20, 05:44 AM

I'm not following you. The fact that pokemon hold humanity hostage and actually destroy any real progress they make and that when people die they turn into ghost pokemon instead of having the afterlife being either a mystery or a nice place seems like more of a down note than that non-human creatures about as smart as a child eat one another and form part of my diet, especially if it's already kosher to bind them to one's will and force them to fight one another and the wild ones are hyperviolent buggers that savage children if they leave town unprotected and can level cities.:smallconfused:

Klose_the_Sith
2011-10-20, 06:12 AM
My answer is probably a bit political and would likely make several people here not like me, so I won't get into those details :smallredface:

But what I would bring is that learning machine from the matrix, a generator, and an operator who was also a more than able forger. Big plans ahoy :smallamused:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-20, 06:46 AM
My answer is probably a bit political and would likely make several people here not like me, so I won't get into those details :smallredface:
The West Wing?

Dominic Deegan? :smalltongue:

H Birchgrove
2011-10-20, 07:43 AM
Another suggestion of mine:

Beyond This Horizon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_This_Horizon). Post-scarcity similar to Star Trek, and while a tad macho at times, not more dangerous to live in than the Star Trek Universe.

The major benefit of living in that universe is that everyone's an idiot and completely incompetent at whatever their station in life is, excluding the crazy people who run around in Halloween costumes punching each other in the face, and Alfred. As long as you didn't want to be any of them, you could do whatever you wanted to do and rest assured that you'd be the best at it. Unless you're an incompetent idiot, I guess.

Also you could meet the Addams Family.

OMG that's awesome WANT. :smallbiggrin:

Tyndmyr
2011-10-20, 07:47 AM

So? It's ME, not some peasant. I'm not gonna die in childbirth. I'm a well educated person from the present. Me going to Eberron is pretty much win, since they use science to some degree, and I know science. More importantly, I'll almost certainly be able to get myself into wizard training, and I know optimization VERY well.

Then it's an awesome life as a rapidly leveling tier 1 in a fantastic world.

Traab
2011-10-20, 07:50 AM
The whole living on a federation world is nice for the quiet easy life aspect. I like the pokemon world because its a more exciting life, but unless you are ash ketchum, or some other main character who finds a new adventure every episode day its not the most dangerous world to be in. The threat of team whatever trying to steal your pokemon or otherwise attack you is most likely fairly small, along the lines of the odds of living in america and running into a terrorist plot and having to fight it off. In other words, quite small.

According to all the canon info ive seen from games and tv shows, even if you get attacked by a wild pokemon or pick a fight with one you cant beat, you get at most knocked out and beat up a bit. Nothing too bad. (This may be different for the manga type stuff, i dunno) Bring a supply of repel with you and you should be fine. I like the idea of adventure, but I dont want to be in a constant struggle for survival. Most other universes that would seem a cool choice involve innate powers, government backing, or knowledge/training that even as a reader or watcher of the show, I wouldnt have. So popping up as a random stranger wouldnt be a good idea.

Prime32
2011-10-20, 07:53 AM
when people die they turn into ghost pokemon instead of having the afterlife being either a mystery or a nice placeThe existence of ghosts in a setting has no relation to the existence of an afterlife - if anything it makes an afterlife more likely. We know that not everyone there turns into a ghost, and that ghosts can "move on".

Terraoblivion
2011-10-20, 07:56 AM
I'll admit that Yukari is a long shot, mostly because she's hard to find and lazy. She'd most likely be eager to accept someone who found her and offered to be a shikigami, simply to mess with them, though she'd probably let Ran handle it. Chen doesn't really factor into it since she mostly runs around doing her own thing and Yukari barely even thinks about her, while Ran dotes on her and treats her like a little kid. Still, Yukari is the one who spirits people away and she's close to Reimu who is the one you need to deal with to leave, so she's more accessible than she seems.

However, becoming a youkai magician isn't particularly hard according to PMiSS. It used to be, but in recent years books with the necessary information have become readily available and the magic itself is quite easy once you know how to do it. The tricky part is getting your hands on the books, since Patchy and Marisa isn't sharing and Alice hates being disturbed while she works. Byakuren should be reasonable, although I suppose the ascetic lifestyle kicks in.

As for Kanako, well if she really could appoint all the shrine maidens she wanted she probably would have, given her ambitions. I also kinda doubt she has anymore dead Shinto deities lying around, so that actually kinda seems like the worst option. The easiest ones seem to be Myouren, the Daoists or Yukari and the Daoists seems to have the harshest, most dangerous practices around.

Kaguya didn't so much have relationships with men as she was stringing them along and telling them that she wasn't interested in the most passive aggressive way possible. And Seiga faked death to escape her marriage. Not the most impressive arguments for heterosexuality ever. For that matter, the Watatsuki seemed more like they were keeping a pet than having a lover and they hate "impurity" which apparently means the cycle of life and death. Not sure this implies they slept with the guy either.

Areswargod139
2011-10-20, 07:58 AM
My post was meant as a bit of humor. But it stands to reason that if you think about it, most fictional universes would be horrible places to live in. Cracked.com has gone to town on this very subject many times. (http://www.cracked.com/article_19496_6-classic-kids-shows-secretly-set-in-nightmarish-universes.html)

It's not GRIMDARK, just a bit of satirical thinking.:smallamused:

That being said, anyone who has read Pokemon Adventures knows that the Pokemon Association is a little prickly.

Traab
2011-10-20, 08:10 AM
The darkwing duck one was done badly imo. Its one alternate reality out of potentially trillions. Basic multiverse theory is that anything can and does happen in another world. Including everything being functionally identical to your world, except this one doesnt have brine shrimp. Doesnt mean you have no free will, thats just stupid. I loved the jetsons and scooby doo ones though.

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-20, 02:49 PM
I am not familiar with most of the 'verses you talk about.
However I don't do utopias.

The Mass Effect universe seems perfect for me.

For less serious choices: The Action Movie universe OR even better the SitCom Universe.

gooddragon1
2011-10-20, 06:35 PM
Dr. Epic didn't set the terms of the scenario, the OP did. They specify that you're yourself, transported to this other world somehow. You don't get to be someone else with a massive built-in advantage.

Eh. In fairness to Areswargod139, the movie (and tie-in comics) way oversold that. It wasn't just that Romulus' star blew up and that was bad because of politics. They treknobabbled up a magic supernova chain-reaction that was literally going to blow up the entire galaxy. Risk assessments become difficult when the laws of physics are being rewritten on the whim of writers who think that's a sensible threat to introduce.

I think it's fair to assume the Federation is a pretty nice place to live, as it's said to be. The question of whether you're likely to end up in the Federation rather than a pre-contact civilization, a totalitarian hostile power, a Borg hive, the depths of interstellar space or a random point in the Coma Cluster is trickier. I'd say a specification that you come out somewhere "normal" (as close to modern-day Earth, or to whatever's considered "average" for the people we see in the setting's fiction) but are still yourself would make sense.

Dr. Epic did point out that the OP didn't specify unfair advantages being disallowed. :)

Soras Teva Gee
2011-10-20, 07:04 PM

If we wanna get real technical the movie only states a threat to the galaxy. Its not exactly a scientific description of how this would go. We've only really got one line from Spock and that's it.

Trek does not lend itself to anything off screen. Then again I've had a pet peeve in this area ever since I saw people labeling the Abrams movie Star Trek XI, since it smacks of missing the point of the movie's meta-existence.

If we are talking a totally random universal transition then there's no universe I'd want to move to since by definition a random move has an unbelievably overwhelming chances of ending up in a y'know empty space.

I think we can be spotted some choice of location within a setting.

Tengu_temp
2011-10-20, 07:06 PM
Dr. Epic did point out that the OP didn't specify unfair advantages being disallowed. :)

Sigh, must we enter the realm of rules-lawyering and "it's ridiculous but nobody said it's not allowed, so it's allowed"?

The point of this thread is "you move to a fictional world." Not "you as an overpowered Mary Sue character", you the way you are now. Unless you happen to be an overpowered Mary Sue in real life, in which case go on.

Traab
2011-10-20, 08:12 PM
Sigh, must we enter the realm of rules-lawyering and "it's ridiculous but nobody said it's not allowed, so it's allowed"?

The point of this thread is "you move to a fictional world." Not "you as an overpowered Mary Sue character", you the way you are now. Unless you happen to be an overpowered Mary Sue in real life, in which case go on.

What if im a ridiculously overpowered Gary Stu? Is that still ok? Only problem is, im not sure if my innate awesomeness in this universe will translate well to some other one. It could get REALLY bad if I found myself facing off against some main character, our mojo could get crossed and cause complete protonic reversal.

gooddragon1
2011-10-20, 08:30 PM
What if im a ridiculously overpowered Gary Stu? Is that still ok? Only problem is, im not sure if my innate awesomeness in this universe will translate well to some other one. It could get REALLY bad if I found myself facing off against some main character, our mojo could get crossed and cause complete protonic reversal.

No. The rules clearly state Mary Sue. Gary Stu's are not allowed as magic-psionics transparency has not been allowed. Also a ridiculously overpowered Mary Sue is not allowed either. Only an overpowered Mary Sue. It's important to follow the rules specifically (as such any other spelling of Mary Sue such as Mary sue, mary Sue, mary sue, etc. is disallowed).

tonberrian
2011-10-20, 08:50 PM
Disgaea 'verse.

Since that's actually a few multiverses stuck together, we'll try Disgaea 4 'verse.

Yes, I can be killed. Incredibly painfully, too. But I can sign up with an up and coming Overlord (say, a certain Prinny Instructor), and gain enough power to challenge Overlords myself!

Traab
2011-10-20, 09:13 PM
No. The rules clearly state Mary Sue. Gary Stu's are not allowed as magic-psionics transparency has not been allowed. Also a ridiculously overpowered Mary Sue is not allowed either. Only an overpowered Mary Sue. It's important to follow the rules specifically (as such any other spelling of Mary Sue such as Mary sue, mary Sue, mary sue, etc. is disallowed).

CURSES! Foiled again! Then in that case, I want to be put into the Monster Hunter universe! Sure its dangerous as all hell, but its earth, its america, and I think id do good with a machine gun in my hands! Get a ticket to alabama, and try to join monster hunter international. Kill me some ghouls, zombies, luska, and the occasional Old One. And make big bucks doing it.

Coidzor
2011-10-20, 11:31 PM
The existence of ghosts in a setting has no relation to the existence of an afterlife - if anything it makes an afterlife more likely. We know that not everyone there turns into a ghost, and that ghosts can "move on".

Not from the pokedex entry I'm recalling from Black/White with the ghosts with masks of their former faces and memories of being human who were stuck that way.

Of course, the fact that this is even an option is just nightmare fuel and borked in the extreme. I mean, seriously, coming across your dead grandmother's ghost as the slave of a ten year old kid & instead of being recognized as a former human it's just another of an entire class of various creatures that are either slaves or feral and hostile to humans?

Xondoure
2011-10-21, 12:59 AM
Dinotopia. Skyriders for life.

Coidzor
2011-10-21, 01:02 AM

Whoa, someone else remembers that! :smallbiggrin:

Moff Chumley
2011-10-21, 01:12 AM
Glasshouse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasshouse_%28novel%29) 'verse

SOMEONE WHO'S READ CHARLES STROSS! BROTHER! ='D

...ahem. Glasshouseverse would hardly be utopian, but it'd be damn interesting... :smallbiggrin:

Xondoure
2011-10-21, 01:23 AM
Whoa, someone else remembers that! :smallbiggrin:

Its what truly sparked my love of dinosaurs to the point where its my nerdiest obsession on a very long list. :smallbiggrin:

Soras Teva Gee
2011-10-21, 01:35 AM

Nice choice. I'm too tech addicted myself and would go nuts without some substitute, but this gets me all kinds of nostalgic.

And fraking dinosaurs.

Trekkin
2011-10-21, 01:45 AM
Shadowrun. There's a great deal that's less than pleasant about the 'verse in general, but I love the technology/magic too much to pick anything else.

Mewtarthio
2011-10-21, 09:09 AM
Nice choice. I'm too tech addicted myself and would go nuts without some substitute, but this gets me all kinds of nostalgic.

And fraking dinosaurs.

Plus it's a remarkably peaceful, stable society where everyone has an amazing life expectancy.

Lord Raziere
2011-10-21, 09:56 AM
Not until we hear your reasoning. :smallwink:

Very simple: Yu-Shan. Just find a way to live a good life in Yu-Shan.

alternatively, try and do something ridiculously heroic.

if I succeed, I become a Solar
If I survive, I become a Lunar
If I fail, I become an Infernal
If I die, I become an Abyssal.

now, because I know how all the rules of the world work, I can simply:
get the most haxy combos for Solar
get redeemed very quickly if I'm an Abyssal, then see Solar
be the only one who knows about Devil-Tigers, and therefore the first to become one.

and even if I instead become a Lunar:

I'm still more powerful than most of the world, and can go around killing Dragon-Blooded like nothing. but given that a Lunar is a 1/4 chance here, I'm willing to take those odds.

the best part is, 1/2 of the possibilities don't even need me to be successful :smallwink:

and even more alternatively? just bring along a list of instructions penned by Meschlum, then find a Raksha Noble.

edit: and even if I don't succeed at any of these, I still tried and have at least spent my final days in a magical land with a bunch of interesting cultures of magic and conflict.

Thanqol
2011-10-21, 08:03 PM
Very simple: Yu-Shan. Just find a way to live a good life in Yu-Shan.

alternatively, try and do something ridiculously heroic.

if I succeed, I become a Solar
If I survive, I become a Lunar
If I fail, I become an Infernal
If I die, I become an Abyssal.

Uh, no. If you die, and you will, you stand a very small chance of becoming an Abyssal if and only if there's a spare Abyssal shard in circulation at that exact moment and you meet it's incomprehensible criteria for Exaltation.

And in Yu Shan, a human being isn't so much a person as it is food. Even Dragon Blooded are regarded as amusing animals.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, what the devil has caused you to think that Yu Shan is in any way a nice place? Because if you've been told that, people have been lying to you.

EDIT EDIT: Plus the complexity of getting up there (You know, 64 gates, which are locked all the time and guarded by war gods who's sole job is to stop fools like you getting to Yu Shan, with the exception of the Calibration gate which, in your 50 year expected lifespan will be within your direction of Creation for a total of 50 days (during which demons walk free to eat those silly enough to go outside, I might add). That's 50 days to find one gate in the continent of Eurasia, without rapid transit, while demons are trying to eat your soul. THIS IS NOT A WINNING STRATEGY

edit: and even if I don't succeed at any of these, I still tried and have at least spent my final days in a magical land with a bunch of interesting cultures of magic and conflict.

No, actually, you will have spent your final days dying of dysentery in a post-apocalyptic bronze age where you might hear a story about legendary heroes if you're super lucky.

I love Exalted, I do, but seriously? I would not want to live there, and if you think you do want to live there, you're seriously uninformed about Exalted.

Das Platyvark
2011-10-21, 09:16 PM
Honestly?
The 'verse of The Dark Crystal, a film I have loved inordinately since childhood.
Prior to the division of the UrSkek, of course.

EDIT:
I wouldn't mind Dune much, if I could get a good hold on the politics/mentat training.

Venom3053000
2011-10-21, 09:33 PM
I have a top 3 that make it a little hard to pick.

1. Pokemon: even if no breeder will give me me a pokemon i can just try and get some kid to give me a pokeball than all i need is to throw out some bird seed until i can convice a bird type that we should adventure together.

2. OOTS, Goblins or some other 3.5 system: very dangerous but if i keep my head down and even if i start with levels of commoner i just need to level up a few times by i don't know hunting or something and then i just don't be an adventurer and i should be fine.

3. Fairy Tail: Even if i can't use magic myself i can just learn how to use magic items and then try and join a guild then it just a matter of doing the easiest jobs to get money

Traab
2011-10-21, 09:40 PM
Well the good thing about the goblin verse is you can just declare yourself a class and bango, level 1 of that class, spells and all. So that could come in handy, so long as you dont try to recreate senor vorpal kickasso. So pick a class you want to be, and find someone else to group up with and get started on your adventure.

Trazoi
2011-10-21, 09:49 PM
Oh gods, the Goblins verse. :smallsigh: You might as well pick Warhammer 40K. Dante's Inferno might be less painful.

Thanqol
2011-10-21, 09:51 PM
Oh gods, the Goblins verse. :smallsigh: You might as well pick Warhammer 40K. Dante's Inferno might be less painful.

Er, yeah, this. Some people's ideas of utopia scare the hell out of me. Faith in democracy, declining.

Venom3053000
2011-10-21, 09:54 PM
true but i know the rules well enough that i could just abuse the wish rules or buy ladders and sell ten foot poles

Lord Raziere
2011-10-21, 09:55 PM
I love Exalted, I do, but seriously? I would not want to live there, and if you think you do want to live there, you're seriously uninformed about Exalted.

I've got most of the books; this is why I said you people would call me crazy.

my plan hinges upon a very high million to one chance that it could actually work- a plan thats crazy enough to work, because that is what Exalted is all about: doing something so improbably out of this world epic that it gets you cosmic power.
I think intentionally going there and trying to attain that through sheer audacity and bravery would work, no?

just cause its taking the ultimate gamble, doesn't mean it ain't the place I want to live in. why have stuff like pokemon that are powerful, when you can BE the thing thats powerful?

edit: utopia? whoever said anything about utopia? all the OP said if you had the opportunity to live in another universe, what would you pick? I pick Exalted.

Weezer
2011-10-21, 09:58 PM
Er, yeah, this. Some people's ideas of utopia scare the hell out of me. Faith in democracy, declining.

Well not everyone is looking for a utopia to live in, some people apparently want that one in a million chance for ultimate power.

Traab
2011-10-21, 10:00 PM

What makes you think he views it as a utopia? Its a universe he most wants to live in, not the universe with the greatest rewards for the least effort or something. Personally, I like the idea of the goblins universe. Like I said, since you can apparently claim a class for yourself and bango, you have the starting spell and skill list, it is the easiest D&D style world to get started in. Its a place you can go to have some insane adventures and get to do all the wild and crazy stuff the people talking about exalted or other similar worlds that involve powers people want to experience.

Always wanted to be a bard? You can be! A warrior? Sure! A cleric? Why not? Yes, there is the likelihood of death, but it would at least be an interesting life while you live it! Id go there, and bring as much gold as I could with me. That way I could get myself setup well for a level 1 character right off the bat. Otherwise, good luck choosing a melee class, as you would have to scrounge for a weapon of some sort to be of any use. Only downside is you have no choice but to be a human of whatever class you picked. No dragonborn/hill giant/warforged abomination you home brewed while stoned on 16 different drugs at once.

Weezer
2011-10-21, 10:05 PM
Always wanted to be a bard? You can be! A warrior? Sure! A cleric? Why not? Yes, there is the likelihood of death, but it would at least be an interesting life while you live it! Id go there, and bring as much gold as I could with me. That way I could get myself setup well for a level 1 character right off the bat. Otherwise, good luck choosing a melee class, as you would have to scrounge for a weapon of some sort to be of any use. Only downside is you have no choice but to be a human of whatever class you picked. No dragonborn/hill giant/warforged abomination you home brewed while stoned on 16 different drugs at once.
It's not like being a human is actually a downside, they're one of the best LA 0 races and the best all round of the PHB ones.

Venom3053000
2011-10-21, 10:08 PM
and if i ever want to i can just and get a high level wizard or something to change to something else.

Thanqol
2011-10-21, 10:11 PM
I've got most of the books; this is why I said you people would call me crazy.

my plan hinges upon a very high million to one chance that it could actually work- a plan thats crazy enough to work, because that is what Exalted is all about: doing something so improbably out of this world epic that it gets you cosmic power.
I think intentionally going there and trying to attain that through sheer audacity and bravery would work, no?

just cause its taking the ultimate gamble, doesn't mean it ain't the place I want to live in. why have stuff like pokemon that are powerful, when you can BE the thing thats powerful?

edit: utopia? whoever said anything about utopia? all the OP said if you had the opportunity to live in another universe, what would you pick? I pick Exalted.

And that reasoning scares the hell out of me. You're prepared to risk a life in middle age squalor, overseen by invincible god-kings who will stamp on your back forever, in exchange for the one in a billion chance you'll get to be one of the invincible god kings stamping on everyone's backs forever?

What makes you think he views it as a utopia? Its a universe he most wants to live in, not the universe with the greatest rewards for the least effort or something. Personally, I like the idea of the goblins universe. Like I said, since you can apparently claim a class for yourself and bango, you have the starting spell and skill list, it is the easiest D&D style world to get started in. Its a place you can go to have some insane adventures and get to do all the wild and crazy stuff the people talking about exalted or other similar worlds that involve powers people want to experience.

Uh, I've never wanted to be a level 1 D&D character ever, actually. I, sitting here in 21st century Earth, can achieve any effect a level 1 wizard can through the application of technology, with the added advantage of not having to sit down for 8 hours after sending 4-5 25 word text messages. And this in exchange for my access to democracy, representation, rule of law, and safety from cosmic horrors that will straight up murder me for no reason? In a multiverse where, quote unquote, "Evil is Winning"? Where the bastion of civilisation and justice has torture labs?

Like, if you want a D&D setting and magical powers, you can at least do yourself the favour of picking one where it'd be fun. Say, the Nodrick universe, where adventuring is campy and non lethal. Because death is a lot less fun than it looks.

Traab
2011-10-21, 10:27 PM
And that reasoning scares the hell out of me. You're prepared to risk a life in middle age squalor, overseen by invincible god-kings who will stamp on your back forever, in exchange for the one in a billion chance you'll get to be one of the invincible god kings stamping on everyone's backs forever?

Uh, I've never wanted to be a level 1 D&D character ever, actually. I, sitting here in 21st century Earth, can achieve any effect a level 1 wizard can through the application of technology, with the added advantage of not having to sit down for 8 hours after sending 4-5 25 word text messages. And this in exchange for my access to democracy, representation, rule of law, and safety from cosmic horrors that will straight up murder me for no reason? In a multiverse where, quote unquote, "Evil is Winning"? Where the bastion of civilisation and justice has torture labs?

Like, if you want a D&D setting and magical powers, you can at least do yourself the favour of picking one where it'd be fun. Say, the Nodrick universe, where adventuring is campy and non lethal. Because death is a lot less fun than it looks.

Meh, thats even assuming you would die. I mean, we are normal people, not the heroes of some comic series. We dont really have to worry about kore, or goblin slayer, or the one winged mutant goblin chick. As level 1 whatevers, our troubles are clearing out rat infested basements, delivery missions, and other low risk ventures. By the time we would have to face the really dangerous stuff, we would have the skills needed to face it. Its not for everyone, thats why its our choice and not yours. But I for one think it would be an interesting universe to live in. Its one where both meta knowledge, and the way the universe works are both in our favor, giving us a huge advantage, since in many other universes named, we would be powerless commoners with no real expectation of becoming more than that if we went there.

Thanqol
2011-10-21, 10:34 PM
Meh, thats even assuming you would die. I mean, we are normal people, not the heroes of some comic series. We dont really have to worry about kore, or goblin slayer, or the one winged mutant goblin chick. As level 1 whatevers, our troubles are clearing out rat infested basements, delivery missions, and other low risk ventures. By the time we would have to face the really dangerous stuff, we would have the skills needed to face it. Its not for everyone, thats why its our choice and not yours. But I for one think it would be an interesting universe to live in. Its one where both meta knowledge, and the way the universe works are both in our favor, giving us a huge advantage, since in many other universes named, we would be powerless commoners with no real expectation of becoming more than that if we went there.

No, no, you're making some really bad assumptions there. You're assuming that the world would scale to you. It wouldn't; just because you name yourself an adventurer does not, in that universe, mean you'll get a fair fight. And, moreover, we've seen what low level adventuring parties do. It's not fighting rats in a basement, it's committing genocide on Goblin camps. And dying and suffering permanent injuries in the process, no matter how minmaxxed you are.

I'm not contesting your right to chose. I'm just saying that the things which are causing you to make that choice (having magical powers, the ability to exploit the system to be superior to other people) do not justify the tradeoffs (fascism, starting at level 1, permanent, horrifying injuries and death).

Also, do you really want to spend the next few years of your life as a wandering rodent exterminator and taking deliveries? Because you can get a job as a rat catcher or postal employee in the real world. Neither of which are my idea of a good time.

Traab
2011-10-21, 10:41 PM
No, no, you're making some really bad assumptions there. You're assuming that the world would scale to you. It wouldn't; just because you name yourself an adventurer does not, in that universe, mean you'll get a fair fight. And, moreover, we've seen what low level adventuring parties do. It's not fighting rats in a basement, it's committing genocide on Goblin camps. And dying and suffering permanent injuries in the process, no matter how minmaxxed you are.

I'm not contesting your right to chose. I'm just saying that the things which are causing you to make that choice (having magical powers, the ability to exploit the system to be superior to other people) do not justify the tradeoffs (fascism, starting at level 1, permanent, horrifying injuries and death).

Also, do you really want to spend the next few years of your life as a wandering rodent exterminator and taking deliveries? Because you can get a job as a rat catcher or postal employee in the real world. Neither of which are my idea of a good time.

I didnt mean we would STAY at level 1 for several years. And heck, it might be fun to scorching ray a few rats from time to time. :p As for the goblin camp, remember WHY minmax got hurt, because names broke all the rules and basically turned himself into a pc, stealing several magic items to do so. Not too mention the fact that it only happened because those goblins were going to become main characters, and hence had plot armor. Unlike the 30 or so other goblins that got slaughtered with ease. Even by the more pathetic drow clones. Even then, most injuries are easily healed by a resident cleric, (not all, I know) Its not all sweetness and light, I know that, but its not all doom and gloom either. Most of the down sides can be minimized by meta knowledge of D&D and how that world works. They are still there yes, but its not that dire.

Thanqol
2011-10-21, 10:46 PM
I didnt mean we would STAY at level 1 for several years. And heck, it might be fun to scorching ray a few rats from time to time.

Buy a gun and a hunting permit.

As for the goblin camp, remember WHY minmax got hurt, because names broke all the rules and basically turned himself into a pc, stealing several magic items to do so. Not too mention the fact that it only happened because those goblins were going to become main characters, and hence had plot armor. Unlike the 30 or so other goblins that got slaughtered with ease. Even by the more pathetic drow clones. Even then, most injuries are easily healed by a resident cleric, (not all, I know) Its not all sweetness and light, I know that, but its not all doom and gloom either. Most of the down sides can be minimized by meta knowledge of D&D and how that world works. They are still there yes, but its not that dire.

Good lord, man, does the fact that you would be committing genocide on a group of sentient, intelligent, and non evil creatures mean nothing to you? Isn't that the point of Goblins?

Venom3053000
2011-10-21, 10:48 PM
goblins has a dm in charge Herbert so faceing people is as easy as praying to him for a tougher fight or an easier fight

Edit: and we don't have to fight goblins start with rats level up and then go afters undead or something until you fight demons

Trazoi
2011-10-21, 10:54 PM
My take is looking at what the typical day in the life of an average citizen in their universes:

(MySims) Run your dream job, party on the beach, get a new chair made out of roses, dig for cake.
(Pokemon) Live a normal regular day in a futuristic utopia, get into a few Pokemon battles with wandering kids, maybe get in a spot of fishing and catch a new pet!
(Goblins) Be oppressed by the local dictator or warlord, get savaged and disfigured by monsters or said warlord, end up murdered by Kore and spend the rest of eternity as a trapped soul in torment.
For some reason I prefer options 1 or 2. :smallwink:

Thanqol
2011-10-21, 10:59 PM
goblins has a dm in charge Herbert so faceing people is as easy as praying to him for a tougher fight or an easier fight

Edit: and we don't have to fight goblins start with rats level up and then go afters undead or something until you fight demons

All right, let me make my case for why I think you're utterly mad to want to live in the Goblins universe.

Point 1 (http://www.goblinscomic.com/06072011/)

Point 2 (http://www.goblinscomic.com/10212006/)

Point 3 (http://www.goblinscomic.com/10292006/)

Venom3053000
2011-10-21, 11:10 PM
hmm well for the first one stray away from dungeons that are too high a level

for the second one don't be a goblin in a city that hates goblins not sure what that has to do with me other then something that i would try and stop at a higher level

for the third the same as two

Traab
2011-10-21, 11:11 PM
My take is looking at what the typical day in the life of an average citizen in their universes:

(MySims) Run your dream job, party on the beach, get a new chair made out of roses, dig for cake.
(Pokemon) Live a normal regular day in a futuristic utopia, get into a few Pokemon battles with wandering kids, maybe get in a spot of fishing and catch a new pet!
(Goblins) Be oppressed by the local dictator or warlord, get savaged and disfigured by monsters or said warlord, end up murdered by Kore and spend the rest of eternity as a trapped soul in torment.
For some reason I prefer options 1 or 2. :smallwink:

1) Forget to instal a door in your house and starve to death. :p

2) Nothing futuristic about it. If anything, its kinda flintstoneish, they use animals for just about everything that we use machines for. Plus, there you get attacked by wild animals, you gotta hope YOUR animals are strong enough to protect you. You sure as hell dont have any real skills to protect yourself from a hyper beam.

3)Live a perfectly normal life, albeit a medival one, as a commoner. Admit it, none of the humans in brassmoon seemed to be all that heavily oppressed. Or choose a class and go out adventuring, fighting evil, (or good if you swing that way) getting to use fantastic abilities, and pitting your own wits and power against your enemies in a fight for survival.

Now, I dont know about you, but id rather have an exciting life than some boring suburban existence. Give me 2 or 3. Preferably 3. Id rather count on my own ability to fling lightning bolts than hope my yellow mouse creature is in the mood to listen to me.

Trazoi
2011-10-21, 11:24 PM
Hah! That's why I chose MySims, not the Sims! No psychopath deity removing the pool ladders there! Just good company, parties and cake!

Granted it might get a bit dull living an eternity there, but at least you're guaranteed to live comfortably with 0% chance of burning to death or having your soul eaten.

Thanqol
2011-10-21, 11:26 PM
hmm well for the first one stray away from dungeons that are too high a level

for the second one don't be a goblin in a city that hates goblins not sure what that has to do with me other then something that i would try and stop at a higher level

for the third the same as two

I think that can happen in equal level dungeons, sport, or have you never seen the dice cause a party wipe? This is a universe where death is horrifying and permanent, by the way.

It... it doesn't have anything to do with you, sure! I'd be perfectly happy living in a city which sanctioned murder/torture/rape as long as it didn't happen to me! Out of all the multiverse, all the possible realities, I'd pick that one to be my permanent home! And hey, if I don't get murdered by demons or deathtraps and die permanently, I might someday do something about it! It's exactly what I've always wanted to do with my life!

Sell a couch, instantly teleport a door into existence?

2) Nothing futuristic about it. If anything, its kinda flintstoneish, they use animals for just about everything that we use machines for. Plus, there you get attacked by wild animals, you gotta hope YOUR animals are strong enough to protect you. You sure as hell dont have any real skills to protect yourself from a hyper beam.

If you exploiting game mechanics to succeed in a D&D setting is viable, us exploiting game mechanics to succeed in a Pokemon setting is viable.

3)Live a perfectly normal life, albeit a medival one, as a commoner. Admit it, none of the humans in brassmoon seemed to be all that heavily oppressed. Or choose a class and go out adventuring, fighting evil, (or good if you swing that way) getting to use fantastic abilities, and pitting your own wits and power against your enemies in a fight for survival.

Tell me. Are you part of the armed forces? Because you can achieve a lot of what you're after here by joining the armed forces. Does a life in the military seem like your ideal existence? Given the option to chose anything ever, would you chose your career as 'soldier working for a fascist government'?

Because that terrifies me in ways I can barely articulate.

Now, I dont know about you, but id rather have an exciting life than some boring suburban existence. Give me 2 or 3. Preferably 3. Id rather count on my own ability to fling lightning bolts than hope my yellow mouse creature is in the mood to listen to me.

Good god, man, there are ways to get interesting lifestyles with super powers without signing up for a cosmos where death is for real, you almost certainly will die, and you do not have access to indoor plumbing. I mean, the question lets you pick universes that would be fun, and not horrifying. You could pick a universe where every major argument is settled with a dance fight. You could pick a final fantasy universe where death lasts for a matter of seconds presuming one of your buddies is awake. You could pick the Marvel Comics universe where people get super powers freely and easily for virtually any reason. Why on God's green earth would you pick the most murderous, horrifying, bloody, grimdark fascist cosmos to come out of a D&D setting over any of those? Why not just pick, I don't know, Greyhawk or whatever the default D&D world is instead?

colonelslime
2011-10-21, 11:30 PM
Magic the Gathering's setting. I love those worlds and their crazy logic sooooo much. Plus being a planeswalker would be nice. I know, small chance, but I think we'd all have a good chance of being important when you think about it. Due to the nature of reality, we're all protagonists (at least, I'm pretty sure I'm one anyway, seeing how the part of the universe I observe is always around me). See, here everyone is the hero of their own story, so all the good plots get used up and we're left with humdrum, everyday stuff for the most part. Go to any of these other universes, and suddenly you're a fully realized character in a world populated mostly by nameless shades who have no agency of their own. Odds are pretty good the story's going to focus on you now, eh?

You just have to make sure you avoid the main protagonists. Don't want to end up being rivals/enemies and getting killed off. Oh, and try to avoid any situation that could lead to a tragic or poetic death. This website (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage) will help.

My brain is really weird when I'm tired. This is what an exam on EU integration does to me.

Venom3053000
2011-10-21, 11:39 PM
[QUOTE=Thanqol;12074902]I think that can happen in equal level dungeons, sport, or have you never seen the dice cause a party wipe? This is a universe where death is horrifying and permanent, by the way.

It... it doesn't have anything to do with you, sure! I'd be perfectly happy living in a city which sanctioned murder/torture/rape as long as it didn't happen to me! Out of all the multiverse, all the possible realities, I'd pick that one to be my permanent home! And hey, if I don't get murdered by demons or deathtraps and die permanently, I might someday do something about it! It's exactly what I've always wanted to do with my life!

first i would not live there and second there was no maybe in what i typed i would get to a higher level and then go there and try to change how to run the city because i doubt they will listen to someone level 2 or 3

Thanqol
2011-10-21, 11:46 PM
first i would not live there and second there was no maybe in what i typed i would get to a higher level and then go there and try to change how to run the city because i doubt they will listen to someone level 2 or 3

You know, you can not live there in the sense that you can, instead, live in a universe with no horrifying distopias at all.

Venom3053000
2011-10-22, 12:00 AM
what the point in living some where you can't try and make things better.

Thanqol
2011-10-22, 12:11 AM

If I'm in the Adam West Batman universe then I can in a very real sense make things better by stopping supervillains while also not having to face horrifying death and torture.

I mean, you can grab a sword and march into Hell to start killing until you are killed, but in the infinite multiverse's perspective that action is worth precisely zero, so you may as well choose to do good in a way that you also enjoy doing.

Venom3053000
2011-10-22, 12:20 AM
In the infinite multiverse's perspective nothing is worth doing

colonelslime
2011-10-22, 12:26 AM
Aww, now the discussion's gone all existential.

How about Golden Age DC universe? Moral absolutes and nonsense plots!

Much better than existential nihilism.

Trazoi
2011-10-22, 12:26 AM
Oooh, that's even worse. The Goblins verse is engineered to crush idealistic dreamers, figuratively and literally. It's a fundamental law.

Edit: Back to alt-verses: I wouldn't mind the Lego verse, if that includes all the games mashed together and you are converted into your Lego form.

Venom3053000
2011-10-22, 12:29 AM
in the words of bugs bunny i never studied law

Kindablue
2011-10-22, 12:29 AM
Goblins? You might as well pick Heart of Darkness.

-------

Market Shipborough is another option I'd consider. The problem I have with it is mostly spelling, but I also need subtitles for that show sometimes and I'd be afraid that they wouldn't offer them if I showed up in real life.

colonelslime
2011-10-22, 12:30 AM
Oooh, that's even worse. The Goblins verse is engineered to crush idealistic dreamers, figuratively and literally. It's a fundamental law.

Edit: Back to alt-verses: I wouldn't mind the Lego verse, if that includes all the games mashed together and you are converted into your Lego form.

I don't know, ever play Lego Island? I remember having nightmares as a child after the brickster (like the hambuglar for Lego bricks) started taking apart the island at the end of the game. I'm pretty sure that's what the apocalypse is going to look like.

Trazoi
2011-10-22, 12:36 AM
I don't know, ever play Lego Island? I remember having nightmares as a child after the brickster (like the hambuglar for Lego bricks) started taking apart the island at the end of the game. I'm pretty sure that's what the apocalypse is going to look like.
The Hambuglar mixed with the Joker. Yeah, maybe Lego's not so great an idea. I should pick a 'verse where someone can't make a totem pole out of your still living head.

Excession
2011-10-22, 01:02 AM
Sign me up for The Culture. Post scarcity, hedonism at pretty much whatever level you want. That warm fuzzy feeling that comes from being part of an organisation that's doing its best to help everyone else. If you want to help directly, join Contact. If you're good at helping, maybe they'll let you join Special Circumstances.

Ok, maybe not SC :smalleek:. SC scares me.

But then there's the variety. I bet there's even a group somewhere where people capture strangely powered "animals" and get them to fight each other. If there isn't, start one! The Culture is very serious about its games. If reality isn't your thing, or you want to experience a different one, there's the best VR you can imagine.

Aotrs Commander
2011-10-22, 04:24 AM
Any universe of sufficiently low power level I could dominate without really having to try i.e. any universe where an Epic-level Lich with a rocket launcher is invulnerable on a practical level - like, I dunno, CSI Miami - Horation Caine may be the most munchkin dude in the world, but even he is not going to be able to take me in a fight.

Probably.

Anyway, a place that I could easily rule with an iron fist and crush all beneath my booted heel, or more likely, the butt-end of my SK-series Snake Portable Guided Missile Launcher.

Failing that, though I have not read the books (only the wiki entry when mentioned earlier), I would say the Culture sounds jolly, because at least I wouldn't have to do anything.

Wait, am I disqualified from this thread for not being alive in the first place?

Thanqol
2011-10-22, 04:25 AM
Any universe of sufficiently low power level I could dominate without really having to try i.e. any universe where an Epic-level Lich with a rocket launcher is invulnerable on a practical level - like, I dunno, CSI Miami - Horation Caine may be the most munchkin dude in the world, but even he is not going to be able to take me in a fight.

I guess you could say...

He saw dead people :smallcool:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kato
2011-10-22, 05:37 AM
Wait, this thread has been going for 6 pages yet nobody mentioned Gurren Lagann? Nobody wants to turn his fighting spirit into Giant robots and travel through time and space with sheer willpower if you're determined enough?

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-22, 08:22 AM
Wait, this thread has been going for 6 pages yet nobody mentioned Gurren Lagann? Nobody wants to turn his fighting spirit into Giant robots and travel through time and space with sheer willpower if you're determined enough?

No.

For two reasons: 1, I am just not interested in those kind of things and 2, I would look like an Anime character, and so would all the girls. yuck.

Prime32
2011-10-22, 08:39 AM
Wait, this thread has been going for 6 pages yet nobody mentioned Gurren Lagann? Nobody wants to turn his fighting spirit into Giant robots and travel through time and space with sheer willpower if you're determined enough?Does anyone believe they're determined enough?

Venom3053000
2011-10-22, 09:34 AM
i considered makeing Gurren Lagann one of my pick but then realized that i would not have a giant robot or know how to get one so not much point in being there.

Traab
2011-10-22, 10:48 AM
Tell me. Are you part of the armed forces? Because you can achieve a lot of what you're after here by joining the armed forces. Does a life in the military seem like your ideal existence? Given the option to chose anything ever, would you chose your career as 'soldier working for a fascist government'?

Actually, yes. Former air force here buddy. I must have missed the training course that teaches me to fire lightning bolts from my bare hands, or transform my enemies into pigs. Also, where the hell did you get becoming a soldier in a fascist government? ADVENTURER! Thats my choice. Run off, do quests, kill monsters, get unimaginably powerful. At no point would I be a loyal foot soldier to some fascist government. "Oh mister powerful wizard! Goblins came and kidnapped my husband! Please save him!" That sort of thing. You dont like my choice? Dont worry, I wasnt planning on inviting you along anyways. You strike me as the pessimist type, and they always die first in dungeons. (probably because they expect to)

Frozen_Feet
2011-10-22, 11:02 AM
Actually, it's pretty much proven pessimists live longer than optimists, though the latter tend to have more fun. :smallwink:

Traab
2011-10-22, 11:07 AM
Actually, it's pretty much proven pessimists live longer than optimists, though the latter tend to have more fun. :smallwink:

Pfft, pessimists are more than willing to reach into the mouth of that dragon statue, since they figure the dungeon will kill them in the end anyways. Optimists know better, they know all it takes is some common sense, and good rolls, and THEY CAN BEAT THIS THING! :smallbiggrin: Pessimists dont live longer, they just feel like they do because their lives are full of negativity, boredom, and fear of what will happen next. Optimists lives feel short because they are having fun, kicking ass, and taking names, till the day they die! "Come on guys! I bet this guy has some AWESOME loot! We can take him!"

Frozen_Feet
2011-10-22, 12:19 PM
Nope. A pessimist will not reach into the mouth of that thing, since they know they'll die in the end anyway, and there's no reason to actively try making things worse. An optimist will reach into the mouth, because hey, what's the worst thing that can happen? :smalltongue: (http://www.thatsfit.ca/2011/03/18/pessimists-live-longer-than-optimists/)

Traab
2011-10-22, 12:27 PM
Bah, there is a difference between optimism, and stupidity. Not taking care of yourself is blind optimism, thats bad. Besides, im more of an engineer. An optimist sees a glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, the engineer says, "Thank god i kept half my water in a redundant glass in case someone drank from that one."

Kindablue
2011-10-22, 12:41 PM
Actually, yes. Former air force here buddy. I must have missed the training course that teaches me to fire lightning bolts from my bare hands, or transform my enemies into pigs. Also, where the hell did you get becoming a soldier in a fascist government? ADVENTURER! Thats my choice. Run off, do quests, kill monsters, get unimaginably powerful. At no point would I be a loyal foot soldier to some fascist government. "Oh mister powerful wizard! Goblins came and kidnapped my husband! Please save him!" That sort of thing. You dont like my choice? Dont worry, I wasnt planning on inviting you along anyways.

Whether or not you were serving a warlord, you'd still be aiding in the subjugation and extermination of indigenous peoples simply because it was acceptable for you to do so. Again, that's the whole point of the comic.

You strike me as the pessimist type, and they always die first in dungeons. (probably because they expect to)
:smallbiggrin:

colonelslime
2011-10-22, 12:46 PM
How about rationalism?

Optimist: The glass is half-full

Pessimist: The glass is half-empty

Rationalist: The glass is 50% water, 50% air. Do we want more air or water? How would we go about doing that? what are the pro and cons of the situation?

Lord Raziere
2011-10-22, 12:47 PM
I prefer to be all three. having only a single viewpoint on something is too simple.

Moff Chumley
2011-10-22, 01:05 PM
I'm the "ooh, water. I'm thirsty. P=" guy. What does that make me? :smalltongue:

Traab
2011-10-22, 01:27 PM
Whether or not you were serving a warlord, you'd still be aiding in the subjugation and extermination of indigenous peoples simply because it was acceptable for you to do so. Again, that's the whole point of the comic.

:smallbiggrin:

If its acceptable, then why are you complaining? Besides, in the case I used, id be stopping criminals, not "subjugating a species" they kidnapped that poor farm girls husband!

Kindablue
2011-10-22, 01:39 PM
If its acceptable, then why are you complaining? Besides, in the case I used, id be stopping criminals, not "subjugating a species" they kidnapped that poor farm girls husband!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottsboro_Boys

Tengu_temp
2011-10-22, 01:40 PM

Seeing that it's a post-apocalyptic setting, and seeing that Gurren Lagann characters have a tendency to die, I'm going to say nope (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14). Just because a series is awesome to watch doesn't mean it's an awesome place to live in.

2, I would look like an Anime character, and so would all the girls. yuck.

You say yuck, I say awesome. For me, a lot of anime has much more pleasing aesthetics than real life.

Traab
2011-10-22, 01:45 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottsboro_Boys

Thats nice. Whats your point? Oh, you figured id just go to the nearest goblin camp, kill everything there that isnt human, then head back to tell the nice farm girl that although I couldnt find a trace of her hubby, at least the goblins are dead? Feh, im wounded that you think so little of me!

Kindablue
2011-10-22, 02:10 PM
Thats nice. Whats your point? Oh, you figured id just go to the nearest goblin camp, kill everything there that isnt human, then head back to tell the nice farm girl that although I couldnt find a trace of her hubby, at least the goblins are dead? Feh, im wounded that you think so little of me!

The Scottsboro Boys raped a white woman, as far as that mob was concerned. But you're right. You're better than that, better than them. You would demand a fair trial be given to those criminals. I'm sorry for doubting you.

Lord Raziere
2011-10-22, 02:23 PM
You say yuck, I say awesome. For me, a lot of anime has much more pleasing aesthetics than real life.

Agreed. If I was not to go for Exalted, I was go for some light-hearted anime.

Frozen_Feet
2011-10-22, 02:41 PM
Just because a series is awesome to watch doesn't mean it's an awesome place to live in.

I feel the above bears repeating to all other posters as well. If you fall from an aeroplane without a parachute and survive, sure, it's cool. But how many of you would willingly jump out of an aeroplane?

AtlanteanTroll
2011-10-22, 02:44 PM
I feel the above bears repeating to all other posters as well. If you fall from an aeroplane without a parachute and survive, sure, it's cool. But how many of you would willingly jump out of an aeroplane?

Knowing I would survive? Totally.

Radar
2011-10-22, 02:50 PM
Although I'm not changing my choice (Discworld), I think it cuold be amusing, to ponder the world of Adventure Time. Definately not boring, not lethal and people are rather polite toward each other (except for adventurer/villian interactions). Sure, you'd have to throw logic out the window, but it might turn you farily interesting.

Does anyone believe they're determined enough?
Even if, things could spiral out of control way too easily.

Coidzor
2011-10-22, 02:53 PM

Well, sure, there's heavy-handed references to real world indigenous peoples, but we don't really have any way of knowing who claimed what speck of land first in Goblins.

Especially given that all of the species arose more or less coterminouslyconcurrently, sometimes globally, in generic D&D, except when they're making a point of humans being younger than the rest of the races and having it be true rather than elven propaganda to make themselves feel better about having lousy stats.

Does anyone believe they're determined enough?

... ...No :smallfrown::smallsigh:

How about rationalism?

Optimist: The glass is half-full

Pessimist: The glass is half-empty

Rationalist: The glass is 50% water, 50% air. Do we want more air or water? How would we go about doing that? what are the pro and cons of the situation?

Me: Pour me another, barkeep, and this time put some alcohol in it.

The Scottsboro Boys raped a white woman, as far as that mob was concerned. But you're right. You're better than that, better than them. You would demand a fair trial be given to those criminals. I'm sorry for doubting you.

Bad example. You can actually determine what actually happened in D&D if you cared to, whereas IRL you have no way to actually determine what actually happened when it comes to he said she said things.

And, hey, if they attempt to murder the investigators, the goblins are at least guilty of that and it's self defense. :smalltongue:

Traab
2011-10-22, 03:02 PM

No, I and my team would investigate. First, we would scout to find where the goblins took mister farmer. Then we would see whats going on to the best of our abilities Spying, scrying, whatever). Finally, depending on relative levels and abilities, I would make my approach. I figure, "Ok, squad of goblins took this man from his home back to their camp. I can see said farmer locked in a cage and he looks badly beaten. The goblins seem to be rather enjoying this state of affairs. I can either make the first attack now, or try and confirm my theory that they are evil by approaching them openly and asking for their side before obliterating them." At that point ill either hear a sad tale about a horrible human who has been kidnapping goblin babies and turning them into meat pies, or they will pick up weapons and attack.

This isnt earth guys, the justice system works a bit differently in the wilderness of D&D land. Or are you trying to claim cultural superiority over another group simply because you dont like how they do things? Thats fairly arrogant of you if thats the case.

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-22, 03:09 PM
Me: Pour me another, barkeep, and this time put some alcohol in it.

To quote the awesome Gary Larson: "What's this? I ordered a cheese burger!"

Well this ties right into the "sexy orcs" discussion: I prefer my women to look like something I could be sexually attracted to. And that comes from a guy that thinks demons, succubii and occasional insectoid women are hot. I am not a fan of females without chins, faces of 6-year olds on grown women's bodies well the general aestetics of japanese popular culture.

Frozen_Feet
2011-10-22, 03:09 PM
Knowing I would survive? Totally.

I take it pain, broken bones and recovery time do not factor into your decision? :smalltongue:

Forum Explorer
2011-10-22, 03:19 PM
For me?

1. Heroes of Might and Magic 3 or 5. As an interdeminsional traveler I would have an interesting enough story to become a hero. Which mean I get to lead armies into battle, cast powerful spells, and wield artifacts of the gods. But what about the danger? I almost always have the chance to retreat or surrender, and failing that if I lose my battle I just chill out in a tavern till another team hires me.

2. Pokemon because some Pokemon I always really wanted as pets

3. Dragonlance: A 3.5 series that falls between horrible death and tippy universe. I'd be a tower mage of course. I'm not too worried about the test because I'm basically sacrificing my life in this universe for the chance to study magic in that one. I think I'll pass excepcially since magic power can be gained through hard work. I'm not afraid of hard work with such a reward. Plus as long as I don't have any issues or personally piss off an evil god my afterlife won't be bad.

4. Discworld. Well I don't see any of us actually manging to avoid a plot in this world so I would just stick to Rincewind and do what he says till I got the hang of things

5. Seven Towers universe: Ok I just really want to play that monsters game. Still a great world though depending where you land. Icecarls wouldn't be that bad though hard and dangerous. Actually when I would appear in this series would be a big factor. In fact that holds true for a lot of these.

Kindablue
2011-10-22, 03:23 PM
Well, sure, there's heavy-handed references to real world indigenous peoples, but we don't really have any way of knowing who claimed what speck of land first in Goblins.

Especially given that all of the species arose more or less coterminouslyconcurrently, sometimes globally, in generic D&D, except when they're making a point of humans being younger than the rest of the races and having it be true rather than elven propaganda to make themselves feel better about having lousy stats.
I genuinely don't know what you mean here. Let's say they're not indigenous: does that change anything at all?

Bad example. You can actually determine what actually happened in D&D if you cared to, whereas IRL you have no way to actually determine what actually happened when it comes to he said she said things.
That might be true in D&D but it hasn't been proven true in the Goblins universe. Misunderstandings and mistaken identities fuel a large part of the plot; their problems can't be solved with effort alone, it's more complicated than that. Not as complicated as the real world, obviously, but still more complicated than you're making it out to be. Also, watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKB1vhAewYw). That's how you solve he-said-she-said problems. :smalltongue:

No, I and my team would investigate. First, we would scout to find where the goblins took mister farmer. Then we would see whats going on to the best of our abilities Spying, scrying, whatever). Finally, depending on relative levels and abilities, I would make my approach. I figure, "Ok, squad of goblins took this man from his home back to their camp. I can see said farmer locked in a cage and he looks badly beaten. The goblins seem to be rather enjoying this state of affairs. I can either make the first attack now, or try and confirm my theory that they are evil by approaching them openly and asking for their side before obliterating them." At that point ill either hear a sad tale about a horrible human who has been kidnapping goblin babies and turning them into meat pies, or they will pick up weapons and attack.

This isnt earth guys, the justice system works a bit differently in the wilderness of D&D land. Or are you trying to claim cultural superiority over another group simply because you dont like how they do things? Thats fairly arrogant of you if thats the case.

The bit that got me was the "why do you care about [whether or not you're aiding in the subjugation and extermination of indigenous peoples] as long as it's acceptable?" Do you really believe that, or am I misunderstanding you? I don't have a problem with the situation you just proposed.

Tengu_temp
2011-10-22, 03:45 PM
Well this ties right into the "sexy orcs" discussion: I prefer my women to look like something I could be sexually attracted to. And that comes from a guy that thinks demons, succubii and occasional insectoid women are hot. I am not a fan of females without chins, faces of 6-year olds on grown women's bodies well the general aestetics of japanese popular culture.

Feel free to have whatever taste you want, but I don't appreciate the implication that people who feel attracted to anime characters are pedophiles. You must have not seen a six-year old in a long while if you think anime women have faces that look like them. And I don't know where the "no chin" part came from - anime is not American comic books where most people have the shoulder-wide chins of steroid abusers, but anyone who has trouble finding the chin on a typical manga character should probably pay an eye doctor a visit.

Terraoblivion
2011-10-22, 04:11 PM
Avilan, it might not be the nicest thing to say, but I would like to ask you if you know what considerate or polite means? Entering a discussion and going "your taste sucks" is generally not considered to be either of those. It is even less so to suggest grave personal failings on the part of those who have said tastes. Going on to do so without really constructing a substantial argument for why you are not only right but that it is a matter more important than being considerate of those around you, is indeed not a generally accepted behavior either.

Trazoi
2011-10-22, 04:31 PM
1. Heroes of Might and Magic 3 or 5. As an interdeminsional traveler I would have an interesting enough story to become a hero. Which mean I get to lead armies into battle, cast powerful spells, and wield artifacts of the gods. But what about the danger? I almost always have the chance to retreat or surrender, and failing that if I lose my battle I just chill out in a tavern till another team hires me.
Is there any danger for the heroes? It's been a while since I've played the game, but I don't remember them being attacked directly. And as you say: worst case scenario is you lose and go on a pub crawl. You're on to something here.

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-22, 04:33 PM
Feel free to have whatever taste you want, but I don't appreciate the implication that people who feel attracted to anime characters are pedophiles. You must have not seen a six-year old in a long while if you think anime women have faces that look like them. And I don't know where the "no chin" part came from - anime is not American comic books where most people have the shoulder-wide chins of steroid abusers, but anyone who has trouble finding the chin on a typical manga character should probably pay an eye doctor a visit.

Avilan, it might not be the nicest thing to say, but I would like to ask you if you know what considerate or polite means? Entering a discussion and going "your taste sucks" is generally not considered to be either of those.

Sorry this came off harsher than intended, my point is that there IS a very easily identifiable aestetic in anime and manga which I, and many others, just don't like. At all. I know that many on the other side of the fence claim that there is no such "common" identifier but if you stand on the outside looking in it is usually extremely easy to see if a comic or cartoon is of Japanese origin or heavily influenced by that.

I certainly don't subscribe to that whole "pedophile" crap, especially since we have an ongoing court case in Sweden right now that more or less is this belief in practice.

(and I don't have the problem with FINDING the chin as much as it's the sharpness of the chin).

Traab
2011-10-22, 06:43 PM
The bit that got me was the "why do you care about [whether or not you're aiding in the subjugation and extermination of indigenous peoples] as long as it's acceptable?" Do you really believe that, or am I misunderstanding you? I don't have a problem with the situation you just proposed.

That part was a joke, because I was answering a guy who said that the sort of behavior that happens in D&D is culturally accepted in that world. So I basically said, if its accepted as ok, why do you have a problem with it? I should have added the smiley face with a tongue sticking out to denote my joke.

Kindablue
2011-10-22, 07:03 PM
That part was a joke, because I was answering a guy who said that the sort of behavior that happens in D&D is culturally accepted in that world. So I basically said, if its accepted as ok, why do you have a problem with it? I should have added the smiley face with a tongue sticking out to denote my joke.

That would have been conducive to its humor.

Forum Explorer
2011-10-22, 09:40 PM
Is there any danger for the heroes? It's been a while since I've played the game, but I don't remember them being attacked directly. And as you say: worst case scenario is you lose and go on a pub crawl. You're on to something here.

You never see a hero die during gameplay or in any of the cinematics. So yeah being a hero in that world rocks.

Traab
2011-10-22, 09:56 PM
I gotta say, it sucks that there are so many universes id like to be a part of, but they are only cool if you have access to the macguffin that makes it cool. For example, legend of legia. Its a great game, an interesting world, but if you are stuck without a ra-seru on your wrist, you cant leave your home town, because its under seige by monsters full time. Hunting parties are full squads just so they have enough bodies to put up a fight if the monsters attack them. So as a civillian? Legia sucks to live in.

Most of the ff worlds also suck to be other than the hero. Take ff7 for example, midgar is nothing but slums unless you are a high ranking fat cat of shinra, and outside of midgar most towns are hovels, under military control, or backwaters in the middle of nowhere with nothing fun to do. Hell, that describes most video game worlds. Same for most anime as well. The only ray of hope are the few shows where it appears that you dont need an inborn gift like chakra in naruto, or magic in negima. Places like FMA where apparently anyone can learn alchemy, its just a matter of time study and practice. Even they have their down sides though, its mostly a matter of preference. Are the down sides bad enough to not be worth living there?

Thanqol
2011-10-23, 12:16 AM
Actually, yes. Former air force here buddy. I must have missed the training course that teaches me to fire lightning bolts from my bare hands,

Buy a taser.

You would also presumably, in the air force, be equipped with a flying machine that would allow you to drop an enormous fireball upon your enemies from miles up in the sky and allow you to move fast enough to be within spitting range of the sound barrier. I'd take that over the ability to cast magic missile three times a day.

Kindablue
2011-10-23, 12:29 AM
Buy a taser.

You would also presumably, in the air force, be equipped with a flying machine that would allow you to drop an enormous fireball upon your enemies from miles up in the sky and allow you to move fast enough to be within spitting range of the sound barrier. I'd take that over the ability to cast magic missile three times a day.

Sounds familiar. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMPLDoaF0R8#t=1m00s) The Venture Brothers is my third option, though I don't think I'd live long there.

Radar
2011-10-23, 07:41 AM
4. Discworld. Well I don't see any of us actually manging to avoid a plot in this world so I would just stick to Rincewind and do what he says till I got the hang of things.
I agree with the choice of the world, but you shouldn't hang out with Rincewind - he attracts danger just by desperatly trying to avoid it. You would also run a risk of falling in the same plot rails he is in. It would be much safer to hang around Stibbons or other domestic mages - they tend to have safer adventures and eat more regularly. Librarian's assistant or any other solid peripheral character would be something to aim for.

Sounds familiar. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMPLDoaF0R8#t=1m00s) The Venture Brothers is my third option, though I don't think I'd live long there.
Brilliant. :smallbiggrin:

Traab
2011-10-23, 08:29 AM
Buy a taser.

Nah, my eyesight sucked too much to be a pilot, and a taser doesnt do anywhere near the damage of a lightning bolt. Plus, wizards can fly without needing to worry about the FAA. And, you know, being an air force pilot is probably at least as dangerous as being a wizard, if not more so, if I want to use all the cool destructive toys at least.

Fri
2011-10-23, 10:19 AM
I think I know what universe I want to be.

The Gearhead Roguelike Universe.

It's perfect.

It's a post apocalyptic setting, so there are enough ruins and frontier to explore when you got your adventuring bug.

But it's a futuristic setting, with every modern convenience you need. Law enforcement, internet, hospital.

And more importantly, it's a mecha setting.

I haven't played it for quite a while, but I think unlike most other roguelike, when you explore in mech, and you're defeated, you can eject out and end back at civilization again. A major inconvenience, but you can start from the beginning again with your life still intact.

So if you can raise enough skill, maybe by schooling, you can start your own adventuring party, and ruin delve with your mech for fame and fortune. If you feel like you have enough adventure, you can lie back and browse internet or whatever you want.

So in summary: A post apocalyptic future tech setting with ancient ruins and frontiers where you can adventure with your mech, and not die easily even if you're defeated by random monster or bandit. Yes please.

Well, this is assuming one thing though, that when you're defeated in your mech, you do can eject and use what futuristic technology available to get back to civilization.

Kato
2011-10-23, 01:58 PM

Hell yeah, those games were nice... though I guess in 5 you could die, if not in game play but in story. But in 4 you could develop into an all powerful warrior and kill a gew dozen dragons with one hit late game. That would rock.

Seeing that [Gurren Lagann]'s a post-apocalyptic setting, and seeing that Gurren Lagann characters have a tendency to die, I'm going to say nope (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14). Just because a series is awesome to watch doesn't mean it's an awesome place to live in.

But even if you die, you die in an awesome fashion! Totally worth it for me. Also, if you get in post-series most of the danger to the universe is destroyed anyway so smooth sailing from there.

Thrawn183
2011-10-23, 03:34 PM

As someone who has gone skydiving, I can say it is some scary ****.

Scylfing
2011-10-23, 03:48 PM
A generic D&D universe. Not because I think I would be some kind of adventurer or whatever, and not because I want any part of living the Medieval life, no no no. Even if I lived a rich, safe, fulfilled life "inventing" all sorts of handy technologies, it'd still be a crapsack world compared to 21st century America. But the payoff is that when I die, I'll get to go to the Chaotic Good afterlife, and sipping single-malt Scotch and smoking cigars rolled from poorly worded legal documents is Paradise. :smallbiggrin:

H Birchgrove
2011-10-23, 04:12 PM
Sorry this came off harsher than intended, my point is that there IS a very easily identifiable aestetic in anime and manga which I, and many others, just don't like. At all. I know that many on the other side of the fence claim that there is no such "common" identifier but if you stand on the outside looking in it is usually extremely easy to see if a comic or cartoon is of Japanese origin or heavily influenced by that.

I certainly don't subscribe to that whole "pedophile" crap, especially since we have an ongoing court case in Sweden right now that more or less is this belief in practice.

(and I don't have the problem with FINDING the chin as much as it's the sharpness of the chin).

There's good and bad anime just like there are good and bad examples of any given medium or genre. Studio Ghibli films aren't more unrealistic than Disney films (which they have taken inspiration from). TV-animes are often guilty of cutting corners, but so are a lot of animations from USA.

As for 'that whole "pedophile" crap', there are these genres of manga & anime called lolicon and shotacon. I have yet to read a news article about the mentioned court case which have stated whether the translator actually had loli or shota hentai in possession, or whether it was just pictures of naked kids (like one of the covers of the Bert books) or kids in visible undergarments (like the controversial panties Brummelisa had in the Bamse comics).

I regret not taken the challenge, when I read this summer that the translator said to a crowd at Campus Linköping that no one wanted to face him in debate. Either he's innocent and I would learn that, or he's not and I would pwn him so bad that I would be elected God-Emperor of Sweden.

Tengu_temp
2011-10-23, 04:27 PM
But even if you die, you die in an awesome fashion! Totally worth it for me. Also, if you get in post-series most of the danger to the universe is destroyed anyway so smooth sailing from there.

I'd rather die old after living a happy life than in an awesome way, but young. Or even better, I'd rather not die at all.
It's true that post-series TTGL is much less dangerous than during the actual show... probably. We know very little about what might happen at that point. I'd rather not jump into the unknown like this.

the definition of CG

I'll let my friend Engineer respond to that. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14)

Scylfing
2011-10-23, 04:33 PM

Yoko Nakajima (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/it/b/b4/Yoko_Nakajima.jpg) would like to have a word with you.

And if that's not sharp enough, there's always her sword. :smallamused:

I'll let my friend Engineer respond to that.

I suppose it's for the best that politics is banned from this forum.

Terraoblivion
2011-10-23, 04:39 PM
Because obviously we're all able to objectively assign alignment to the ideologies we support and obviously every adherent of any given ideology would have a perfectly matching alignment?

Scylfing
2011-10-23, 04:43 PM
Because obviously we're all able to objectively assign alignment to the ideologies we support and obviously every adherent of any given ideology would have a perfectly matching alignment?

Please do note that I redacted my original post, and that I've already indicated that I'm not going to carry that discussion any further.

Avilan the Grey
2011-10-23, 10:19 PM
There's good and bad anime just like there are good and bad examples of any given medium or genre. Studio Ghibli films aren't more unrealistic than Disney films (which they have taken inspiration from). TV-animes are often guilty of cutting corners, but so are a lot of animations from USA.

As for 'that whole "pedophile" crap', there are these genres of manga & anime called lolicon and shotacon. I have yet to read a news article about the mentioned court case which have stated whether the translator actually had loli or shota hentai in possession, or whether it was just pictures of naked kids (like one of the covers of the Bert books) or kids in visible undergarments (like the controversial panties Brummelisa had in the Bamse comics).

I respect the people at Studio Ghibli, but the quality of the Anime itself is not really the point as much as the look and feel, and even if I had never heard of them before I would immediately identify it as Anime just by looking at pictures of the movies they have made.

As for the court case in question my understanding from the images I have seen published is that it was Lolicon images.

(The bigger question in the case though, which we can't debate here for obvious reasons is the scope of the law itself).

Yoko Nakajima (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/it/b/b4/Yoko_Nakajima.jpg) would like to have a word with you.

And if that's not sharp enough, there's always her sword. :smallamused:

I think you proved my point by misunderstanding me. My problem with the typical Anime chin is this, it is TOO sharp.

Lamech
2011-10-23, 11:34 PM
Which world to live in?

Well first we have a Utopia choice: Discworld. Okay, the disc itself isn't a Utopia, but after attempting to do something awesome, introducing tech (Pasteurization and penicillin anyone?), learning magic ect. I die and that is the end to a nice long story of adventure. Oh, and then the afterlife. Of essentially my choice. (Note: be a good person and do not be mean to cats.)
Also this applies to pretty much any world with a heaven. American Gods for example.

Then we have the become all powerful choice: Erfworld. So I get summoned, and after my first few turns I get granted artifact level items? Probably more than Parson since I can make sure to bring piles of tech. And books. Then I get to help run a side in a war game with questionable balance? And I can get stronger and more powerful by practicing? (And may even be a mage.)
If I was going to look for a world to become uber-powerful I would pick this one.
Dresden-verse looks like it might be an okay as well. But I would need to find some magical teachers/connections to help with the start of any sort of rise to power. After that we start gathering power some way: mass-produced ghosts*, the Stone Table***, abusing demons, teams of followers**, or all of the above. Although this seems to have a much higher chance of ending horribly for me than Erfworld, and is 100% dependent on getting a start from someone.

*of myself or animals; no pissing off wardens.
** bribe with say... healing magic or something equally friendly.
***People have this tendency to die and leave all their blood behind. Make friends with undertakers. Magic comes in handy here.

Forum Explorer
2011-10-23, 11:37 PM
I'm surprised at Erfworld. You likely would have no freedom if you were working for any king.

Lamech
2011-10-24, 12:44 AM
I'm surprised at Erfworld. You likely would have no freedom if you were working for any king.
Lets see, TV, their warlords have a good bit of freedom. I recall Vinny flying off out of a city of his own accord, and I suspect that joining on the coalition was of his own accord. The king even offered letting a warlord lead an army if said warlord could fund it. (Trivial with being able to sell a limitless supply of mathamacy, and general power-gaming.)
Jetstone lets the warlords choose how to run the army if their a chief or their city if their a manager.
So just need to make sure to pick a good king to follow. Say... pre-book 2 Don.
Even Parson has quite a bit with all his little projects. In all honesty I would probably want to turn to a natural ally/"puppet" ally ASAP.
I think its the best choice if your looking for power.