PDA

View Full Version : names for people, places and organizations in a new campaign [Eberron, but any]

Kol Korran
2011-10-19, 12:45 AM
so, i may be DMing a new campaign in some time, and as i prepare i realized i quite suck at names. so i come to the playground for help!

the campaign is a sort of covert investigations in a small frontier region (think sort of a fantasy wild west region, without the guns). pardon me for the flimsy info, just starting to build this. thought that names would help stir the imagination.

there will be references for Eberron, but also explanations for those who don't know it.

currently i'm looking for:
- a name for the secret organization the PCs are part of. it belongs to a sort of christianic religion (the silver flame) who seeks to protect the world from evil, both supernatural, and that which lies in the hearts of men. the name shouldn't have any religious tones however, perhaps very subtly hinting at it, but that's all. (think Mosad, KGB, CIA only with a sort of religious bent)

The name i got this far: The Mithral Links: light, strong, and together form an elite protective flexible armor. any other ideas?

- a name for the main settlement in the frontier region. it's supposed to be the regional capital, but is a bit fledgling, having only around 1500- 1800 people. the era's trading center, including with the savage gnoll and centaur tribes, (in the Laughing Market... a joke the Gnoll tribes don't get o far) even with some of the ogre lords. main commodity? pigs! big ones! there are 3 local "pig barons" who control most of the farms and pig trade in the region (no cattle. horses yes, but no cows)

the name should be flavorful if possible, perhaps insulting (in a subtle way) to the tribals, perhaps showing the intentions of the ruling nation (Breland), or perhaps a more... "quaint" name. doesn't need to rely on the above info.

- Names for these pig barons: so far i have only two basic concepts in mind:

- the first is a huge man (over 2.1 m) who is loud, boisterous, pushing people and so on (a sort of Mustrum Ridcully from the discworld) who is also a bit of a petty crook. the real name should be something simple, catchy, and there should also be a nick name by the town's people. if possible something that might be twisted to mean quite a bit of respect.

the second is an elegant but highly practical gnome woman, who may seem quite frail, but has a sharp businesswoman and criminal mind. she affects things secretly, behind the scenes. most people think her just as sharp and respect her, those who know her real ruthlessness fear her. (a reflection of all of Zilargo in a nut shell) i'd like a name and simple respectful yet dmuretitle for her, and perhaps also a criminal nickname that only the privliged know of.

i'm thinking of "Lilian Grimm" for her name. any other suggestions?

- a name for one of the other settlements, living on the verge of a small marsh, known for it's stirges (the local run some stirge repellent on them to avoid getting bitten) has a local populations of shifters (a race of humans with some animalistic traits, they can "shift" to get more pronounced traits. a legacy of lycanthrope heritage.

a local name is needed (perhaps trying to get respect, or perhaps about their trade- mostly getting certain plants and wild life from the march, perhaps something to denote the shifter's association) and another mocking name from people outside it (perhaps on the lines of blood sucking, or the awful smell, or laughing about the "animal people")

- a name for some mines (haven't decided what they mine yet), being run by some business minded dwarves, but the actual labor is being done by orc slaves for a local ogre lord. (a name for him would be nice too)

- a name for two Gnoll tribes- one is bigger and more dominating, known for his warriors, and the other is smaller, more spiritual, known for his spirit shamans and boons with the Dark Six (primal gods of nature and savagery). again, two names for each- their own names for themselves (preferably in the Gnoll tongue), and the names the "civilized" folks give them.

so far i'm thinking "Goorka Hark" for the larger tribe- sounds harsh, like a snap of jaws. have no idea what it will mean though.

i may post more in the future. we'll start with these...

any other ideas for names OR for the campaign are welcome!

thanks! :smallsmile:

(search word: kingpig)

LansXero
2011-10-19, 04:23 AM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2739526/D%26D%20-%20GMNotebook.pdf

Maybe this can help?

Balor01
2011-10-19, 06:29 AM
- a name for the secret organization the PCs are part of. it belongs to a sort of christianic religion (the silver flame) who seeks to protect the world from evil, both supernatural, and that which lies in the hearts of men. the name shouldn't have any religious tones however, perhaps very subtly hinting at it, but that's all. (think Mosad, KGB, CIA only with a sort of religious bent)

The name i got this far: The Mithral Links: light, strong, and together form an elite protective flexible armor. any other ideas?

Sons of Path

- a name for the main settlement in the frontier region. it's supposed to be the regional capital, but is a bit fledgling, having only around 1500- 1800 people. the era's trading center, including with the savage gnoll and centaur tribes, (in the Laughing Market... a joke the Gnoll tribes don't get o far) even with some of the ogre lords. main commodity? pigs! big ones! there are 3 local "pig barons" who control most of the farms and pig trade in the region (no cattle. horses yes, but no cows)

the name should be flavorful if possible, perhaps insulting (in a subtle way) to the tribals, perhaps showing the intentions of the ruling nation (Breland), or perhaps a more... "quaint" name. doesn't need to rely on the above info.

Hollow

- Names for these pig barons: so far i have only two basic concepts in mind:

- the first is a huge man (over 2.1 m) who is loud, boisterous, pushing people and so on (a sort of Mustrum Ridcully from the discworld) who is also a bit of a petty crook. the real name should be something simple, catchy, and there should also be a nick name by the town's people. if possible something that might be twisted to mean quite a bit of respect.

the second is an elegant but highly practical gnome woman, who may seem quite frail, but has a sharp businesswoman and criminal mind. she affects things secretly, behind the scenes. most people think her just as sharp and respect her, those who know her real ruthlessness fear her. (a reflection of all of Zilargo in a nut shell) i'd like a name and simple respectful yet dmuretitle for her, and perhaps also a criminal nickname that only the privliged know of.

i'm thinking of "Lilian Grimm" for her name. any other suggestions?

Dirk Mengenbrand
Illa Vasarmus
Gregor Lorival

- a name for one of the other settlements, living on the verge of a small marsh, known for it's stirges (the local run some stirge repellent on them to avoid getting bitten) has a local populations of shifters (a race of humans with some animalistic traits, they can "shift" to get more pronounced traits. a legacy of lycanthrope heritage.

a local name is needed (perhaps trying to get respect, or perhaps about their trade- mostly getting certain plants and wild life from the march, perhaps something to denote the shifter's association) and another mocking name from people outside it (perhaps on the lines of blood sucking, or the awful smell, or laughing about the "animal people")

Trueroot (an actual pland from dnd)
mocking: The Quagmire

- a name for some mines (haven't decided what they mine yet), being run by some business minded dwarves, but the actual labor is being done by orc slaves for a local ogre lord. (a name for him would be nice too)

Toronzokalv (as dwarven name)
Bub aka. the Pretty

- a name for two Gnoll tribes- one is bigger and more dominating, known for his warriors, and the other is smaller, more spiritual, known for his spirit shamans and boons with the Dark Six (primal gods of nature and savagery). again, two names for each- their own names for themselves (preferably in the Gnoll tongue), and the names the "civilized" folks give them.

so far i'm thinking "Goorka Hark" for the larger tribe- sounds harsh, like a snap of jaws. have no idea what it will mean though.

Goorka Hars (Red Claw)
Haaro Koras (Rising Shadow)
name civilized folks give them: monsters